BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-20 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
I've been making excuses about not swimming. The pool is too crowded, I don't have my suit, my allergies are bothering me, etc. I need to just suck it up, get in the pool, and stay there until May 1. It's rapidly becoming my least favorite leg, which means I need to work on it. I won't have time tonight because I have my fundraising dinner, but I'm forcing myself to get out of bed tomorrow and get in the pool for at least 400 y.

2010-04-20 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2803615

User image

Regular
Scottie07 - 2010-04-20 8:54 AM I've been making excuses about not swimming. The pool is too crowded, I don't have my suit, my allergies are bothering me, etc. I need to just suck it up, get in the pool, and stay there until May 1. It's rapidly becoming my least favorite leg, which means I need to work on it. I won't have time tonight because I have my fundraising dinner, but I'm forcing myself to get out of bed tomorrow and get in the pool for at least 400 y.

Emily,

I hear you.  That's how I feel about running.  I will make any and every excuse in the world not to run.  But, I feel SO much better after I do it.  I am sure you will feel better once you get in the pool and just do it too.  It's a ripple effect, just do it, feel good about it... do it more, etc.

I had a good workout this morning.  I got in short times of all disciplines.  15 min each and am really psyched about it.

re: strength training, I haven't done anything.  But I know I need to.  Must find my small weights though, they are hidden in my husband's man-cave (aka, the garage).

You know what I hate about early morning work outs?  I am FAMISHED for the rest of the day.

Have a great day all!

Kerry
2010-04-20 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2803788

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I got in a short run last night (25 min and 2.5 miles).  I wanted to do more but had to clean the house since we have yet another showing tonight.
Have any of you done brick workouts yet? It sounds like you did Kerry with your mini-tri yesterday. They are quite helpful in preparing for race day.  Have a good day everyone!  I am swamped with work tonight. I hope I can get biking in tomorrow because it is supposed to rain here all weekend and I hate the stationary bike in the gym.  Pool time would be good for me too.  I agree...the more you do it, the more you may like it
2010-04-20 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2803615

User image

Melon Presser
Scottie07 - 2010-04-20 9:54 PM I've been making excuses about not swimming. The pool is too crowded, I don't have my suit, my allergies are bothering me, etc. I need to just suck it up, get in the pool, and stay there until May 1. It's rapidly becoming my least favorite leg, which means I need to work on it. I won't have time tonight because I have my fundraising dinner, but I'm forcing myself to get out of bed tomorrow and get in the pool for at least 400 y.

"forcing myself" ... ewww, such ugly words ...

how about "bribe myself"?

When I first started really riding a bike, like to train, with clipless pedals and all, I would get SO IRATE just trying to get out the door--I mean, complicated complicated, the shoes, the clothes, the food, the pumping of the tyres, don't forget the helmet and bug shield, sunblock, sweat band, damn take the clothes off because you forgot to lube, AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

I would have to bribe myself by bringing along something I really liked to eat, or promising myself something I really liked to eat afterward, or stopping by the Pinkberry on my way back, or sometimes, just being done with all the fancy bike stuff and taking my POS giant cruiser bike with knobby tyres, wearing jeans, out, and just enjoying pedaling along in the wind.

Wear a bikini to the pool. Or running shorts and a sports bra. Do bring a Manatee toy or rubber duckie. Sit on a kickboard and try sculling down the length of the pool. Forget goggles? Swim head-up. Or doggypaddle. Sing the moose song (or any stupid song of your choosing) as you swim laps and DELIBERATELY DON'T COUNT LAPS. Stop and take a breather whenever you hit the chorus.

Insist on having fun.

Find that inner-kid-splashing-around-in-the-pool and give her an ice cream cone. I mean, a Skinny Cow frozen dessert bar ... you get my drift.
2010-04-20 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2803521

User image

Master
Vista, CA

quincyf - 2010-04-20 5:18 AM
dinabean - 2010-04-20 6:40 AM Happy Tuesday, everyone!  Did my "boot camp" personal training session this morning.  I am torn on these.  I adore the trainer and I think I really need to be doing some sort of strength training.  BUT, I also feel like it takes away from my time to fit in S/B/R (Swim has suffered the most).  Should I continue doing it leading up to my race in 3 weeks? OR just focus on S/B/R for the next few weeks?

Dineen,

do you think you could do a short circuit training routine instead of a big, involved boot camp session with a trainer, at least during the "season" and then go back to more in depth weight workouts in the fall/winter?  I get good results with a really basic circuit which leaves me time to train.  You can see my logs if you like.  I think I log too much time in my logs for strength, it's probably even less than I log (I tend to include my gym admin time in my weight lifting hours...because I am lazy).  

I understand wanting to S/B/R but I am pretty passionate about women lifting weights to combat osteoporosis.

As for the next three weeks, since you feel behind on the swim, why don't you spend some extra time in the pool so you feel confident for your race...

Love to hear other's thoughts on this too, it's a really good question!

My take on the strength training is that most of what you'll have gained from strength training/boot camp/core work was in the bank (in the body) weeks ago. The last 3 weeks of strength leading up to a triathlon won't make a bunch of difference, but you can certainly do what Quincy said and get a shorter strength workout in. I'd spend more time on the disciplines I felt needed work. If you're still uncomfortable in open water, get in the open water, or at the very least the pool, same goes for bike and run. I would definitely get some bike/run bricks in there to get your legs used to running off the bike. Even if you just do a 10 minute run after your bike a couple times a week, your legs will understand come race day what you're going to ask them to do. Are you following a plan, Dineen?  The last week leading up to the tri I'd practice my transitions, both in my head via visualizations as well as physically. Probably more than you wanted, but I get to typing and fingers just won't stop. HA!

Good luck with the showing tonight Ryan! At least you've got the energy moving -- two showings in less than a week.

2010-04-20 9:49 AM

User image

Melon Presser
What Lynn said.

Yep, I think I'mna just post every time after Lynn ... "what Lynn said." It's great, that's what she's here for ... I tend to be unavailable sometimes for a few days' stretch due to wild and woolly adventures and/or bad Internet connection.

BRICKS ... I think they're really important, in some form. There's no need to do formal or mammoth bricks--literally just running 5 minutes off the bike, every time, will make a huge difference.

2010-04-20 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I need to start doing some bricks.  Besides benefiting me on race day it'll make me look so much more hardcore than my husband if the neighbors see us fly into the driveway and I take off running while he stands around trying to catch his breath. 

(My DH is the kind of guy who can get off the couch and go run a 24 minute 5k after not doing any exercise for 6 months.  Maybe it's stupid but after training for over a year I feel like I should be better than him so I relish any time I can do something that he can't.)

I hate bricks though.  It feels like running in water with weights which is similar to the feeling I get when I have one of those nightmares where I have to run away or to something and I just can't seem to speed up.  How long/often do you have to practice the bike to run transition before it stops feeling like that?  Or does it always feel like that but you just get used to it?

We just got a call for a showing tonight too.  Good things are happening for us Ryan, I'm feeling positive about today.
2010-04-20 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2804536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Allison - Maybe tonight is the night for both of us to sell our places then??  Wouldn't that be awesome?!  Our showing feedback from Friday was "ok."  They are making a short list of their fav places and will follow up next week.  But maybe you're right....tonight is the last and final showing!

2010-04-20 1:14 PM

User image

Melon Presser
briiiiiiicks ... they're a reason they're called that.

One thing that seems to help is that in the last few minutes of the bike, get into an easy gear and spin at a fairly high cadence. APPARENTLY that helps ease a bit of the lactic acid buildup out (I don't know how true that is, don't quote me), it means you're not mashing your bike muscles, and it sets up a nice cadence for the run ...

I think it does get easier, AND you get used to the feeling.

As for houses ... today is 4.20

I have a very good feeling about that :D
2010-04-21 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Hey all!!

How is everyone doing today?  How were the showing (s) last night?

I swam and ran this morning, which I am happy with.  Trying to get in at least small distances.  It's better than nothing at all, right?

My eating is a problem though.  I need to really focus on nutrition a little more.  This is what sucks about working from home, there is always food available and I tend to graze.

Willpower?  What is that?

Kerry
2010-04-21 2:14 PM

User image

Master

I was wondering how the showings went last night.

Good job on the swim and run, K!

I got in a short bike ride at lunch today, but with a major climb. 

Then I had a super yummy chargrilled chicken sammich from Chick-fil-A.  Wanted the fried, but tried to make a healthier decision.  Will that help the fact that I ate a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sanwich yesterday...twice?!?!

2010-04-21 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2807775

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
It seems as though every showing is the same.  We have not heard feedback yet but I am feeling doubtful but thanks for asking!
Nice job on fitting in two different disciplines today carry.  I am going to try to jet home tonight and get a mini workout in.  My wife got tickets to a baseball game tonight so not much time to workout today AGAIN!  Grrrr

Good call on the grilled chicken over the fried.  Have you tried Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches? The mint ones are delicious and a lot less fattening than "normal" ones.  And it's ok to splurge sometimes too...we all do. 

It's hard not to graze when you are home often.  Maybe cut up an apple or prewash some grapes that way they are easily accessible for grazing. Fruit can be caloric but is better than other grazing snacks such as chips.  Have a good night everyone!
2010-04-21 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Yanti-I like the bribery idea. My mom is a firm believer in treating yourself like a little kid sometimes. "If you're good and do this, you can have a treat when you're done".

That said, I got in a bunch of good stuff today. I skipped out on work because I stayed out super late last night. I swam a hair over 300 y, did the elliptical for 27 min, and biked 5ish miles. I mixed up freestyle with backstroke and that seemed to work better. It was definitely more sustainable than straight freestyle. I'm gonna hit the pool again tomorrow night, too.
2010-04-21 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2808605

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Hi Everyone ! Just checking in. Looks like some training is happening around here. When is everyone's next race? Just curious.

2010-04-21 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
Emily, YEAH on getting into the pool!  Good for you!

I love skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, Ryan.  I am a purist, though.  Vanilla for me, please!

Lynn, my 1st ever race is June 27th.  Celebration Sprint Tri in Columbia MD.  Ack!
2010-04-21 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Lynn-I've got my first one on May 2, a super sprint.

2010-04-21 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
First race is May 9!

Good job getting those swims in!  I got a swim in tonight after work -- not my usual workout time -- and I was so very glad to do so.  Was meeting someone 7, and snuck in a half an hour of spin, first.  Yay!  Emily, don't show up at hte pool nekkid, but otherwise, no excuses!  Not to sound cliche,  but just do it.  Every single time I get into the pool, I feel better about swimming than I did before.

Hope those showing come through, folks!

2010-04-21 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Strangest thing happened to me today.  A friend of mine is looking to buy a road bike so she asked me to go with her since I just did all the research to buy my own.  We went to the big Trek concept store in Highland Park which is also home to Vision Quest Coaching so it has a big elite training center in the back.  Anyway, my friend is talking to the sales guy and I interrupted to ask a couple questions at which point he pointed out that I was asking a lot of questions in a kind of "shut up and stay out of this" tone so I backed off a bit.  When he was trying to explain the different component sets available on different bikes she was confused so she looked at me for my opinion.  After I explained it and told her what the practical differences are and what I thought would suit her needs the sales guy literally pulled out his business card and offered me a job.  On the spot.

I'm still kind of stunned because I'm such a noob when it comes to all this.  All I know is what I've learned online, mostly from the real experts around here.  Still, it was definitely an ego boost.
2010-04-21 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2808980

User image

Master
Vista, CA

thndrcloud - 2010-04-21 8:07 PM Strangest thing happened to me today.  A friend of mine is looking to buy a road bike so she asked me to go with her since I just did all the research to buy my own.  We went to the big Trek concept store in Highland Park which is also home to Vision Quest Coaching so it has a big elite training center in the back.  Anyway, my friend is talking to the sales guy and I interrupted to ask a couple questions at which point he pointed out that I was asking a lot of questions in a kind of "shut up and stay out of this" tone so I backed off a bit.  When he was trying to explain the different component sets available on different bikes she was confused so she looked at me for my opinion.  After I explained it and told her what the practical differences are and what I thought would suit her needs the sales guy literally pulled out his business card and offered me a job.  On the spot.

I'm still kind of stunned because I'm such a noob when it comes to all this.  All I know is what I've learned online, mostly from the real experts around here.  Still, it was definitely an ego boost.

That's very cool! A friend of mine works in a bike shop and they always need informed and knowledgeable females. Sounds like you know your stuff!

2010-04-22 7:00 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Thanks, Dineen! I definitely did feel better after I got the swim in.
2010-04-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2809046

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
lmscozz - 2010-04-21 10:58 PM

thndrcloud - 2010-04-21 8:07 PM Strangest thing happened to me today.  A friend of mine is looking to buy a road bike so she asked me to go with her since I just did all the research to buy my own.  We went to the big Trek concept store in Highland Park which is also home to Vision Quest Coaching so it has a big elite training center in the back.  Anyway, my friend is talking to the sales guy and I interrupted to ask a couple questions at which point he pointed out that I was asking a lot of questions in a kind of "shut up and stay out of this" tone so I backed off a bit.  When he was trying to explain the different component sets available on different bikes she was confused so she looked at me for my opinion.  After I explained it and told her what the practical differences are and what I thought would suit her needs the sales guy literally pulled out his business card and offered me a job.  On the spot.

That's very cool! A friend of mine works in a bike shop and they always need informed and knowledgeable females. Sounds like you know your stuff!

Very cool!  Are you going to take the job?Wink 

2010-04-22 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Allison, that is so cool!

My DH works in a bike shop and is always appreciative of knowledgeble (sp) folks!  Although, when he worked at the tri shop, almost everyone who came in was pretty well informed and then he just got annoyed, LOL!

How is everyone today?  Another mini-brick this morning.  I like them!  But I really need to get back on my training plan.

Oh, instead of a reverse order brick (run, bike, swim) I did bike first and tried Yanti's suggestion with lowering the gear, increasing my cadence.... what a difference!  Thanks!
2010-04-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2809600

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

That's awesome Allison.  If you work there can I have a discount? Tongue out

I am not sure when my first race will be.  I have quite few things planned for later in the summer but I am still searching for a June and July race.  I am just not sure which ones or where yet!  Right now I have 2 tris planned for Aug and maybe a 1/2 Mary in there too. But I definitely need something to work towards for June.

2010-04-22 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow

I'm looking for an early June race as well. My dad and I were originally supposed to run a 10k together on Memorial Day, but he's training for the Peachtree and wanted to focus on that instead. So I figure I'll do something else in that time frame. I'm looking at the possibility of a duathlon just to mix it up. Plus, no swimming.

2010-04-22 11:43 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Busee trainee chattee Manatees makes Yanatee happee

Ugh. That was cornee even for mee ...

I suppose it's not a brick if you cook and eat a whole meal in between the bike and the run, right?

As for grazing ... I like it! Like Ryan said--deliberately keep a lot of good grazing stuff around (that you actually like) and try to limit/eliminate less healthy/filling nibble items. When grazing those, allow yourself, but be like "6 chips" count them out, put the bag AWAY, enjoy each one.

I know y'all might get mad at me for this, but right now, I'm eating whatever I want, however much of it I want. I drink TONS of water so I'm never mistaking thirst for hunger and that's always taken care of.

BUT--I'm sticking pretty closely to WHEN I eat meals and snack, and I allow a LOT of time for the meals. I eat everything I want, but I eat it REALLY, REALLY slowly, savoring each bite, and I stop when I'm satisfied but before I'm actually full. The Labradoggies get whatever I don't eat

I'm eating all different kinds of stuff, healthy, getting everything I need, but some chocolate and junk food too. The thing is--the "treats" are just that, they aren't meals, and overall I wind up eating very small portions of the crap and moderate portions of the healthy stuff.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60