BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-05-04 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2835510

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED
AlanaF - 2010-05-04 10:04 AM This is such a basic question, and I don't need detailed info, just a little guidance.  It dawned on me yesterday that my truck is going to Alaska, leaving me with no way to haul my bike around.

I need to get a bike rack for my car.  Would you recommend a roof rack or a trunk rack, or what?

Depends - you can get a decent trunk rack for about $100 (maybe less) and move it from car to car.
Roof racks, i think, are more car specific.

The other thing, it's a lot easier to load/unload your bike off of the trunk rack then the roof.

On the other hand, i think the roof racks look much cooler  

2010-05-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2835510

User image

Expert
Boston
AlanaF - 2010-05-04 10:04 AM This is such a basic question, and I don't need detailed info, just a little guidance.  It dawned on me yesterday that my truck is going to Alaska, leaving me with no way to haul my bike around.

I need to get a bike rack for my car.  Would you recommend a roof rack or a trunk rack, or what?

I have a trunk rack and I can use it on my Xterra or on my Chevy Impala.  I like the versatility of it!  Of course lately I have just been stuffin' the bike in the back of the Xterra.   I can get lazy!
2010-05-04 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Hello All--finally back--might take me a few days to get back up to speed.  Had a long week in Guatemala but did manage to swim in the early morn (5am) and again in the evening!)  Now I really need to get back to my work outs after being out of touch with the world.  Duathlon this weekend!!  Hope all are well, missed the group.
2010-05-04 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2836939

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-05-04 6:16 PM Hello All--finally back--might take me a few days to get back up to speed.  Had a long week in Guatemala but did manage to swim in the early morn (5am) and again in the evening!)  Now I really need to get back to my work outs after being out of touch with the world.  Duathlon this weekend!!  Hope all are well, missed the group.

Glad to have you back.  I don't know how we managed without you

2010-05-04 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Thanks, now the real work starts--catching up with my traing log.  Exercise is the easy part, keeping track of it all is like work!
2010-05-04 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2835860

User image

Extreme Veteran
rbriggz - 2010-05-04 10:53 AM

Depends - you can get a decent trunk rack for about $100 (maybe less) and move it from car to car.

The other thing, it's a lot easier to load/unload your bike off of the trunk rack then the roof.

Thanks.  I'm more worried about function than looking cool.  Or I guess my car looking cool.

2010-05-05 1:52 AM
in reply to: #2837246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
AlanaF - 2010-05-05 2:09 AM

I suppose it also depends on the height of the car and the height of you. My hubby hates Triathlons so I have to go alone most of the time. Although I'm tall my upper are strength is rubbish and I think I would struggle trying to get the bike on and off the roof. 

I also wonder about the bikes being covered in dirt. flies etc. when they're on the roof - I don't know if this happens but always thought it would be a bit of a pain and there may be less of it on the back.  

Thanks.  I'm more worried about function than looking cool.  Or I guess my car looking cool.
2010-05-05 7:21 AM

New user

Syracuse
Hello everyone,
So I spent the day in the ER yesterday for an anaphylactic reaction to lilacs.. who knew? While I was there they found some abnormalities on my EKG so they are telling me no training right now until we figure out whats going on. This was the last thing I wanted to hear. I have an MD appt this morning and we shall see. I make a terrible patient so I may be doing some "light" training. I guess my training is light compared to all of you but, you have to start somewhere right?
On another note, while I was swimming on the other night, the Masters Swim coach suggested that I enter my hands thumb first pointed hand closer to my head and then extend under water and catch and pull. I was entering my hand almost flat with a fully extended arm. I have never had a swim coach as I'm not a swimmer so, I was just wondering what the rest of you find to be the most efficient arm position for entry, catch and pull?
Thanks a lot
Shioban
2010-05-05 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2837780

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shioban - 2010-05-05 7:21 AM Hello everyone,
So I spent the day in the ER yesterday for an anaphylactic reaction to lilacs.. who knew? While I was there they found some abnormalities on my EKG so they are telling me no training right now until we figure out whats going on. This was the last thing I wanted to hear. I have an MD appt this morning and we shall see. I make a terrible patient so I may be doing some "light" training. I guess my training is light compared to all of you but, you have to start somewhere right?
On another note, while I was swimming on the other night, the Masters Swim coach suggested that I enter my hands thumb first pointed hand closer to my head and then extend under water and catch and pull. I was entering my hand almost flat with a fully extended arm. I have never had a swim coach as I'm not a swimmer so, I was just wondering what the rest of you find to be the most efficient arm position for entry, catch and pull?
Thanks a lot
Shioban

Anaphylactic reaction to lilacs??  That's really scary, how do you know when you are going to be around a lilac?  You could bump into them anywhere.  So do you have to carry an epi-pen on you now? 

I would think there is plenty of time for training AFTER you figure out what's on your EKG.  I'd think big picture here. 

Sorry to hear it, stay safe!

ETA:  I've always heard to enter the same way your coach described. 

Edited by AlanaF 2010-05-05 8:08 AM
2010-05-05 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2837620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kate_r - 2010-05-05 1:52 AM

I suppose it also depends on the height of the car and the height of you. My hubby hates Triathlons so I have to go alone most of the time. Although I'm tall my upper are strength is rubbish and I think I would struggle trying to get the bike on and off the roof. 

I also wonder about the bikes being covered in dirt. flies etc. when they're on the roof - I don't know if this happens but always thought it would be a bit of a pain and there may be less of it on the back.  

I would have the same problem.  I'm not sure I can lift my bike over my head.  So, it looks like it's all positives for the trunk rack except for the looking cool part.  

Besides, all the coolness would be blown when I drop my bike on my head three times trying to wrestle it up onto the roof. 

Edited by AlanaF 2010-05-05 8:10 AM
2010-05-05 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2837900

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
AlanaF - 2010-05-05 9:09 AM

I would have the same problem.  I'm not sure I can lift my bike over my head.  So, it looks like it's all positives for the trunk rack except for the looking cool part.  

Besides, all the coolness would be blown when I drop my bike on my head three times trying to wrestle it up onto the roof. 

Good point Alana -
Llooking cool driving down the highway with no one that knows you VS. looking like a dork laying on the ground at the race parking lot with your bike on top of you :D 

It might be a good way to meet some people at the race tho ! 

2010-05-05 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
1000yd Time Trial in the Pool this morning

I did it in 18 minutes flat !! On the plus side - that's a GREAT time for me !!
However - that makes my T-Pace 1'48" !

Not looking forward to the next workout that says swim 8x100 @ T-Pace minus 5 ! 
2010-05-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2838047

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
rbriggz - 2010-05-05 9:50 AM 1000yd Time Trial in the Pool this morning

I did it in 18 minutes flat !! On the plus side - that's a GREAT time for me !!
However - that makes my T-Pace 1'48" !

Not looking forward to the next workout that says swim 8x100 @ T-Pace minus 5 ! 

Just keep thinking that all this sprint work will make you so much faster in the open water!

Great Job!
2010-05-05 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2838030

User image

Extreme Veteran
rbriggz - 2010-05-05 8:47 AM
AlanaF - 2010-05-05 9:09 AM

Good point Alana -
Llooking cool driving down the highway with no one that knows you VS. looking like a dork laying on the ground at the race parking lot with your bike on top of you :D 

It might be a good way to meet some people at the race tho ! 

That seriously made me LOL.  I'm sure I'll find plenty of other ways to be a dork without adding that in.
2010-05-05 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2837887

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

AlanaF - 2010-05-05 9:06 AM
Thanks a lot
Shioban

Anaphylactic reaction to lilacs??  That's really scary, how do you know when you are going to be around a lilac?  You could bump into them anywhere.  So do you have to carry an epi-pen on you now? 

I would think there is plenty of time for training AFTER you figure out what's on your EKG.  I'd think big picture here. 

I agree, stay safe. No need in doing something that will really screw up your training.

2010-05-06 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2839357

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Ontherun - 2010-05-05 3:48 PM

AlanaF - 2010-05-05 9:06 AM
Thanks a lot
Shioban

I agree, stay safe. No need in doing something that will really screw up your training.

Lilac Allergy ? Scary ! I don't know if you've ever had an EKG before, but i had one about 10, maybe even 15 years  ago that showed up with a slight abnormality. I've had one every two years ever since at my regular physical and it always shows up with the same abnormality, so the doctors aren't worried about it. I've had an echocardiogram (i'm sure i'm spelling that wrong) and a stress test as well. I guess, if they put you through a stress test and you don't have a heart attack, they say "well, i guess you're okay". Better to have a heart attack at the cardiologists office than out running in the woods tho.  Good Luck with everything, most likely your fine, but better safe than sorry. 

2010-05-06 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Boy,  gone for a week and am really feeling like I am out of the loop--everyone seems to be really progressing on their training-as I am also.  Have been continuing to teach my wife the fun of running.  We both are so totally involved with the health routine--it is so nice when you reach that point when working out is fun--and that is the way it should be.  Well I could almost climp back on my ole soap box but must go back to having wine with friends--Hey, I deserve it as I just returned from running--810 min miles!! not bad at all for me!  Just my 2 cents for the evening.
2010-05-07 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good morning group.  Sorry for my absence lately, but work has been crazy.  In addition to that, I actually put on a 5k race for my company, which was last night, so I have been really busy.   Thanks to the very useful chart that we have compiled, you can see we have some people racing this weekend, myself included.  This should be a rest day for everyone and tomorrow a lite workout.  Hydrate and rest and we will be eagerly awaiting to see how you did.

2010-05-07 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2842723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dragonflyer - 2010-05-06 9:31 PM Boy,  gone for a week and am really feeling like I am out of the loop--everyone seems to be really progressing on their training-as I am also.  Have been continuing to teach my wife the fun of running.  We both are so totally involved with the health routine--it is so nice when you reach that point when working out is fun--and that is the way it should be.  Well I could almost climp back on my ole soap box but must go back to having wine with friends--Hey, I deserve it as I just returned from running--810 min miles!! not bad at all for me!  Just my 2 cents for the evening.

Wow, were you crawling? That's 13 1/2 hours per mile.

Just kidding.  You did awesome.  Climb back on your soap box, we love it.
2010-05-07 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
These are the racers that are registered for races on BT this weekend.

Good Luck and Have Fun !!!

Sudbury Spring Sprint - dmar
New England Season Opener - Boston Beginner, Seren

We'll be routing for ya !!
2010-05-07 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2844237

User image

Expert
Boston
rbriggz - 2010-05-07 2:39 PM These are the racers that are registered for races on BT this weekend.

Good Luck and Have Fun !!!

Sudbury Spring Sprint - dmar
New England Season Opener - Boston Beginner, Seren

We'll be routing for ya !!

Don't forget Whiskeyride! Doing his first sprint

2010-05-07 5:36 PM

New user

Syracuse
Good Luck to all racing this weekend!!!
I am sidelined for a while but hope to be back in it soon. Lots of doctors appts to get to the bottom of this and then we hope to get more answers.
I'm wondering how hard it will be to actually get back to training after doing absolutely nothing more than walking slowly for a couple weeks. I feel like an old lady. :-) On the bright side, it's Mother's Day this weekend and we are expecting SNOW!!!! It's horrifying to me. The white stuff needs to keep its ugly self away until at least November...okay well maybe October but geesh. It's May for the love of god. Although, it's actually a blessing as the flowers and pollen shouldn't be as bad.
I hope you are all having a great time training. It looks like you're all working really hard. Keep up the good work. I shall live vicariously through all of you for a while. Then I'll need advice on how to jump back in and get this body moving again.
Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all those other Mother's out there.
Shioban
2010-05-07 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2845105

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Shioban - 2010-05-07 6:36 PM Good Luck to all racing this weekend!!!
I am sidelined for a while but hope to be back in it soon. Lots of doctors appts to get to the bottom of this and then we hope to get more answers.
I'm wondering how hard it will be to actually get back to training after doing absolutely nothing more than walking slowly for a couple weeks. I feel like an old lady. :-) On the bright side, it's Mother's Day this weekend and we are expecting SNOW!!!! It's horrifying to me. The white stuff needs to keep its ugly self away until at least November...okay well maybe October but geesh. It's May for the love of god. Although, it's actually a blessing as the flowers and pollen shouldn't be as bad.
I hope you are all having a great time training. It looks like you're all working really hard. Keep up the good work. I shall live vicariously through all of you for a while. Then I'll need advice on how to jump back in and get this body moving again.
Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all those other Mother's out there.
Shioban

I graduated there in '96 and we had 9 inches of snow on graduation, which is this weekend.  Great.  I will be up there on Sunday thru Tuesday.  

2010-05-07 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2845105

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Shioban - 2010-05-07 6:36 PM Good Luck to all racing this weekend!!!
Shioban

Keep your spirits up! In the big picture a couple of weeks off will be nothing and the assurance that everything checks out okay invaluable.  Put on a bathing suit and go romp in the snow...it would be worth a few pics and a lot of laughs!! Have a nice weekend.
2010-05-08 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Duathlon in the morning--47 degrees, chance of snow showers and possible high wind gust--should be a great time!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27