BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-05-20 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2869987

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
tstl - 2010-05-20 12:11 AM Just back from my first team swim practice and feeling very discouraged. We spent the whole session doing the kick drills that I've avoided in my own practice because I suck at them. There were the superman drills where I expended an enormous amount of energy to go absolutely nowhere, followed by the side-kicking drills which were an exercising in drowning. And the real kicker was that even in this group of absolute beginners who asked questions like "how do you put on a swim cap?" and "are my goggles upside down?," I was DEAD LAST. I've never worked so hard to suck so bad at anything! 

Sorry for all the whining, just feeling a little pathetic right now... 

I know how you feel. I suck at swimming too!!  We just have to keep attacking the swim!!!  

2010-05-21 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2872463

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
dajotkjo - 2010-05-20 8:22 PM
tstl - 2010-05-20 12:11 AM Just back from my first team swim practice and feeling very discouraged. We spent the whole session doing the kick drills that I've avoided in my own practice because I suck at them. There were the superman drills where I expended an enormous amount of energy to go absolutely nowhere, followed by the side-kicking drills which were an exercising in drowning. And the real kicker was that even in this group of absolute beginners who asked questions like "how do you put on a swim cap?" and "are my goggles upside down?," I was DEAD LAST. I've never worked so hard to suck so bad at anything! 

Sorry for all the whining, just feeling a little pathetic right now... 

I know how you feel. I suck at swimming too!!  We just have to keep attacking the swim!!!  

It's true.  Most of us are bad at something and less bad at the others.  With time you'll get better, I promise.  I started off at a 2:30 per 100 clip last year and now I'm down under 2:00.  Is that fast?  Hell no but it's a great improvement so I'll take it and hope that I can continue improving in the days, weeks, months and years to come. 

The hardest thing for me is the last part.  Improvement will come (and has in the past!) but it means you can't avoid what you aren't good at and you have to be patient.  I just have to keep plugging away.  Joining a class is a GREAT way to improve.  
2010-05-21 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Regular
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not being a slacker Foot in mouth  My right knee is still too swollen after my tumble so I can't bike or run and I can't get into the pool until my open cuts heal.  I feel like a bumCry But I have to be wise since my race is only 2 weeks from tomorrow so I need to heal - yikes.  I will live vicariously through everyone else's training sessions.

2010-05-21 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2874969

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
That's what we figured Denise... NOONE said the word "slacker", EEEEK!  I hope you heal quickly!!  Feel better, girl!
2010-05-21 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Denise, you have a great excuse - your injured.  My lame a$$ excuse was work, work and more work.  I've had 4 days off - today being my own fault...I was immersed in self pity and burnout.....Tomorrow I will return!!!  I hope you get well soon...I'm impressed how my training for 3 mos has really left me feeling unfulfilled when I can't get out there!!  Enjoy your time off as much as possible!
2010-05-22 7:40 AM

User image

Expert
Ouch, ouch, ouch! Do take care of yourself, Denise, and feel better soon-- I know you'll come back stronger and better than ever! Cool

2010-05-22 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
HELLOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  
My computer broke last week and I just got it back! It was only supposed to be gone for two days!  I haven't read anything yet but I have TONS of catching up to do! Tons of inspires to read and these pages to catch up on.  
I've been keeping up my workouts - but not as much as if I were checking in here everyday. This really motivates me! 
I hope everyone is doing well!

-Jordan

2010-05-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2875619

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Yea that Jordan's okay and back with us!!!
2010-05-22 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
So glad you're OK and that your back Jordan! We missed you!

I have no workout to report for today - I left for MA at 6:15am and just got home (8pm)- I'm beat. The figure and body building competitions were neat - I saw a lot of AMAZING bodies and it really inspired me to up my weight lifting even more! My friends did great - all together it was a great day.

I haven't made up my mind for tomorrow yet - a run? a bike? both? I NEED to bike but I feel more like a run...whatever it is, it will be at 6am before my husband has to leave for work.
2010-05-23 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Okay, I think the guilt of 4 days off have made me crazy.  Last night I had a Tri nightmare!!  Seriously weird.  I dreamt that the swim was okay.. Then I got lost on the bike route......ended up riding through fair ground buildings with the livestock.  Got off my bike to ask directions, then I lost my bike and couldn't find it.....I ran around frantically searching for the bike.. when I finally found it I rode in circles until I found the right loop to continue...weird....weird - I woke up sweaty...can I count this as a workout.. haha

Anyone have a guess on the meaning behind this kookie dream.

Laughing

wilson 
2010-05-23 11:33 PM
in reply to: #2877182

User image

Extreme Veteran
LOL! Reminds me of the dreams where I'm trying to find my class at college, only I keep wandering in circles, can't remember my schedule, and oh, yes, it took me 3 hours to get dressed, so I'm really late!! Usually a sign of nerves. Make sure you log that though!

2010-05-24 12:18 AM

User image

Warrior Dash 2010!

To begin with, I didn't really warm up prior to starting the race because I thought I was in the 3:30 group. About 2:55 I walked over to the starting area to watch that group go off and the guy I was running with was in the corral wondering where I had been. I double checked my packet and sure enough, I was in the 3pm group. Oh well, off we go!

The course itself was 3.22 miles containing 11 obstacles to go over, under and through. Being in the mountains, I wasn't surprised to find the course hilly; but the steepness of the ascents and descents was a bit surprising. Throw in the amount of mud on the trails, making the footing treacherous, and I found it amazing that some people were able to run this entire course. According to the starters, the top male time was just under 16 minutes -- you have got to be kidding me!

The race began with about 1/3 mile run downhill on a paved road, across several hundred yards of flat grass and then about 1/3 mile up a gravel road to the lake.

Obstacle 1: Ok, upon reaching obstacle one, a couple of things became immediately apparent: first, they were not in the order the appeared to be from the interactive course online; second, they were not even the same obstacles listed online! The first obstacle consisted of a 3-4 foot mudslide down to 100 yards of boards laid out in the water. The object was to cross them like balance beams without falling in. I fell in just trying to get down the mudslide. Once I got on the boards, I couldn't see them in the lake water because of the my weight and the weight those in front of and behind me. I just stepped where the guy in front of me stepped and we made it across pretty quickly. I made up ground on most every other group on this one (there were 5 different sets of boards), especially those who fell off. From there, I had to crawl up 4-5 feet of mud which was no small feat, then run about 50 feet to another mudslide back into the lake. No boards this time; just a couple hundred yards of waist deep water to wade through. So much for staying relatively clean/dry through the first part of the race.

Obstacle 2: Out of the water and into 100 yards or so of tires to step through. The crowd kept encouraging everyone to run on top of the tires. I quickly realized this was for their entertainment as our shoes were wet and muddy, as were the tires, and those who ran on top of the tires invariably slipped and fell in dramatic fashion.

Obstacle 3: Through the tires and on to obstacle three -- the dreaded walls. There were three walls, none of which was more than chest high. However, getting over them took a lot out of me. By the end of this obstacle, I was totally winded. From there were had a shaded 1/3 mile run to obstacle four. (As an aside, this would be the last time I ran for quite a while.)

Obstacle 4: Climbing a steep incline aided by a rope to help you pull up. This was one of the few obstacles that was actually easier than it looked as I approached. Following the climb, was another couple hundred yards of uphill to run. I walked.

Obstacle 5: The cargo nets...uggh! Already pretty gassed, I did manage to get up one side and down the other quicker than those around me. One girl had made it up only to be stuck on top scared to flip over and climb down the other side. I don't know what happened to her, but I didn't see her again. A quick 100 yards brought me to obstacle 6; too quick to catch my breath, for sure.

Obstacle 6: Cars to climb over and through. The first three were fairly easy. The last was a pickup truck and seemed to be a mile high in my exhausted condition.

After the vehicles, we headed uphill again. Only this time up a steep muddy trail. Footing was tough in places with roots and limbs to dodge as well. I have no idea how someone could run up this. As we continued up and down the trail (mostly up) I realized this must be part of the "wilderness obstacle" so we'll call this obstacle 7. We wound through the woods for what seemed like a mile or more. The biggest problem I had (other than the uphill part and the muddy footing) was that the trail was too narrow to allow for passing in most places. Once you got stuck behind someone, you were there for several hundred yards sometimes.

Obstacle 8: Finally we made it to obstacle 8, the dark tunnels to crawl through. This was the only obstacle I was disappointed in. I had to crawl through one of 6 pipes approximately 20 feet long with mud in the bottom. I was already muddy, so this one seemed really easy comparatively. After the pipes, the downhill run (slide) began. Luckily, by now the field was pretty spread out. I slipped and slid most the way down the trail for a good 1/2 mile or so. The only good part about it was that it was all shaded.

Obstacle 9: The Big Mud Pit! Finally!! Approaching the pit, unbelievably the footing got even worse. I just gave up and slid down the 20 feet or so on my butt. The pit itself was 2-3 feet deep and about 20 yards long. Suspended a couple of feet from the top of the mud were 6-7 strands of barbed wire which I had to duck under every few feet. The last strand seemed to be only about 6 inches out of the mud which all but required me to swim. And just because I got out of the pit didn't mean I was out of the mud. There was still another 50 yards or more or ankle deep mud to negotiate before getting back to solid ground. Completely covered in mud, I trudged the hundred yards or so to obstacle ten which was mercifully back in the lake. My feet felt like they weighed 20 pounds a piece and there was a ton of stuff stuck in my shoes.

Obstacle 10: Back into waist deep water (to wash off) where I had to climb over 4 spinning logs suspended on top of the water. This was harder than I though it would be because the logs were spinning against me, so I had to throw myself over them pretty hard to keep from being spun backwards. At least this time there was a wooden ramp to get out of the water.

Obstacle 11: Soaking wet, with who-knows-what in my shoes, I ran the last 100 yards to the final obstacle: jumping over walls of fire. I had expected these to be small and weak, but they were 2-3 feet high. A pretty cool way to end the course.

After the fire, it was just a quick 20 yards or so down to the finish line and my finisher's medal!! This ended up being my only trophy for the day since the tshirt is waaay too small and they ran out of warrior helmets so I have to wait for one to arrive in the mail. At least they had plenty of post-race beer and turkey legs.

This was every bit as tough as I had hoped it would be. I finished totally exhausted. I hope to be in a lot better shape next time I take on one of these ... although I'm not sure how much it will help. All-in-all, this was a great race and I would definitely do it again.
2010-05-24 4:56 AM
in reply to: #2877334

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
David, sounds like an AWESOME race, what fun!  Super description, felt like I was there.... so was it muddy, haha??  I hope you didn't wear white!  We'll (my family) have to try to get in on this one next year since we missed it this year.  I can't believe someone ran it in 16 minutes??  Running out of helmets... inexcusable, not like they didn't know how many had registered!

Make sure you log this in your training log!!
2010-05-24 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
David -

Your race would have landed me in the looney bin for sure.  Anyone who knows me knows that I HATE DIRT.   Awesome description, it made my skin crawl just thinking about it.
2010-05-24 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to do mine in September - that sounds like a total blast! Hmmmm...I thinking so much mud in NY in September will be FREEZING!!!!!!!!
2010-05-24 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
David-- awesome race report, but where's the pics?? I want to see what you looked like at the finish!!

2010-05-24 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
What a fabulous-sounding race, David! Thanks for the report-- I, for one, want pics with the helmet in them, too!Laughing

And WELCOME BACK, Jordie! So glad the technical glitch was only temporary!

Edited by wrkinprogress 2010-05-24 3:45 PM
2010-05-24 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
I am leaving in the morning to travel to Arkansas to visit my mom and will be there through Monday (the 31st) so I won't be on as much as usual but, I will check in! Have a great week!
2010-05-25 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
David sound a like a grueling race but pretty cool.  You made me think of boot camp for Navy Seals or something like that!  Glad you completed it without injury.  Sounds like there was plenty opportunity for a screwed up ankle!  Awesome job!
2010-05-25 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I'm absolutely board sitting at the Atlanta airport for 6 hours until I leave for England.  I don't leave till 7:00PM EST tonight.  I spent last evening playing with the kiddos in the pool.  My 5 year old son is really accelerating his swim.  So last night, in TRI style, I introduced him to bilateral breathing.  I figure he may be able to use that skill sometime in his life!  It was pretty funny to show him and then try to help him with body position and breathing.  He seems to naturally breathe on the left side?  Weird, he's right handed????  So I'll keep practicing with him... who knows - someday he may run a Tri with Dad... That would be so very very cool.  Which means I need to keep in shape and be prepared for that day.  My twin girls will be next...I think of the three, Katie will be the athlete..So fun watching and learning as they grow.  Okay time to move to from this restaurant to another before they kick me out for drinking ice water instead of beer.....no beer today - gunna save up for a "proper" pint in England tomorrow.  Funny thought... this airport is so big I could strap on my Garmin and run 3 miles inside... problem being no shower afterward... the person next to me on the plane would have to suffer severely...so I'd better not.  Would be pretty funny being a sweaty mess... maybe I could get all three seats across the middle for a nap... maybe a good plan afterall.  Later... gunna do some people watching and swim goggle research....
2010-05-25 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2881312

User image

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2010-05-25 12:36 PM   Funny thought... this airport is so big I could strap on my Garmin and run 3 miles inside... problem being no shower afterward...

Oh, I've actually done that! A few years ago I had schedules that regularly gave me 3-4 hours of "airport appreciation time," so I'd change into my workout gear and either go for a run outside (there's a golf course at SLC I'd run around), or run the stairs in a secluded corner! Afterwards I'd take a cat bath in the restroom sink! Pretty weird, I know, but it was the only opportunity for a workout, and it made me feel better than sitting around. 

Have you seen those workout wipes? -Like HandiWipes, only you pretty much take a bath with them. Might be a good thing to stash in the suitcase! I hope you have a nice trip to England. I'm jealous- I only get to go to Tennessee!

2010-05-25 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2881312

User image

Expert
wsilverthorne - 2010-05-25 2:36 PM I'm absolutely board sitting at the Atlanta airport for 6 hours until I leave for England. I don't leave till 7:00PM EST tonight. I spent last evening playing with the kiddos in the pool. My 5 year old son is really accelerating his swim. So last night, in TRI style, I introduced him to bilateral breathing. I figure he may be able to use that skill sometime in his life! It was pretty funny to show him and then try to help him with body position and breathing. He seems to naturally breathe on the left side? Weird, he's right handed???? So I'll keep practicing with him... who knows - someday he may run a Tri with Dad... That would be so very very cool. Which means I need to keep in shape and be prepared for that day. My twin girls will be next...I think of the three, Katie will be the athlete..So fun watching and learning as they grow. Okay time to move to from this restaurant to another before they kick me out for drinking ice water instead of beer.....no beer today - gunna save up for a "proper" pint in England tomorrow. Funny thought... this airport is so big I could strap on my Garmin and run 3 miles inside... problem being no shower afterward... the person next to me on the plane would have to suffer severely...so I'd better not. Would be pretty funny being a sweaty mess... maybe I could get all three seats across the middle for a nap... maybe a good plan afterall. Later... gunna do some people watching and swim goggle research....

Have a wonderful time in England! I was there for 3 months last summer-- where are you going to be? Have a pint for me too, would you? Laughing
2010-05-26 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: ---
Hi Everyone,

I'M BACK!!!!  I want to thank you all for your concern over my tumble.  You are all such a great group!!!  I was in a mentor group in the previous cycle and the experience was very different.  I think it's wonderful how we motivate each other.  Hilde, you are a hoot and I LOVE your gentle kicks in the tuckus.  A big cyber hug to you all!

My first tri is a little over one week away.  I've done the race distances in simulation.  I just have to control the sick feeling in my stomach that comes when I think about the race Foot in mouth 
2010-05-26 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey! I'm in Arkansas visitnmg my mon but the kids are in bed so I thought I'd pop in to say HI! I got in a 3ish mile run (no garmin) followed by a 1.5ish mile OWS in the lake - it was good. Swimming the lake is certainly different than in the pool! I am a good, experienced swimmer and about 200 yards or so into it I had a moment of panic because I couldn't get the timing of my stroke an breathing coorinated - it was strange. Once I chilled out I was fine and was able to do about 1.5 miles without trouble other than inhaling some moss/seewead! LOL!. I'll be sure to get a few more OWS's in while I'm here - taking full advantage of access to the lake!

Hope you all continue to have a great training week - I'll check back in when I can!
2010-05-27 5:58 AM
in reply to: #2885001

User image

Regular
Now that's motivation: on vacation and still finding ways to get your workout sessions done.  Did the moss and seaweed taste good Foot in mouth
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41