BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-01-25 12:04 AM
in reply to: #3317367

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED

jennifer65 - 2011-01-24 2:56 AM ok. Right. I'm back in the game. I have  moved - still lots of boxes everywhere but the time stresses have gone. Went swimming with the tri club last night and sat listening to the guys talk about having to loose a stone to get fit (they are all pencils though.) made me be a bit fed up with being the fattest and the slowest (actually there is one guy heavier than me but he still swims faster!). They are all very tolerant of my though.

So, i need to loose 2 stone to get into the BMI normal weight zone so I need help with that.

Also, went out on my posh super duper trek 1.2 road bike today. You will see I didn't go far but it was a lot quicker than the mountain bike. But the roads around here are sooo bumpy - my head was shaking so much I couldn't really see the next pot hole/drain to avoid. And I really have no idea what I'm doing with the gears - and every time I adjust my hands on the handlebars I'm a bit wobbly - but I can't wait to get better at it.

So, I am a bit enthused st the  moment. I will enjoy it while it lasts and wish all of you a lovely rest of the day.

Jennifer

(ps. I do feel better for getting all that off my chest!

Glad to hear that you are moved!  I hate moving!  I still have boxes to unpack and we've lived in our house for over two years!  (The boxes are filled with knick knack sort of stuff that has sentimental meaning so I really can't get rid of it.)

2011-01-25 2:39 AM
in reply to: #3256657

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Just been for a walk/run. Nice to know i can still run outdoors - I was beginning to wonder. 

I totally understand Ada-bug the pulls of work, housework and everything else we have to do and childcare. At the end of the day this is just a hobby for most of us and so easily goes on the back burner.  How do men get their 2/3 hours of uninterrupted time to watch football on tv? Its a mystery.
Cool
J
2011-01-25 4:47 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Hey Ladies!  It's awefully quiet around here!  Let's talk about nutrition!  What are your questions regarding fueling for triathlon training and racing?

2011-01-26 8:33 AM

User image

Expert

I don't have any specific questions about fueling now- I typically use gels because I've had trouble with energy drinks upsetting my stomach, and I like to be able to drink just water.  I plan ahead of the race when I'm going to have each gel, and keep a couple of extras in case I feel the tank is low. 

No workout today- I was on call overnight last night, meetings this morning, and I'm in clinic this afternoon and the ED until after midnight tonight.  Sigh- I'll be very glad when this week is over.  My kids are in their exam week, and my husband is doing his EMT ED time, so we are all tired and stressed! 

2011-01-26 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
I'm not dead! (although a few times I thought I was close!)
Just some strep throat, ridiculous work schedules, sick kids and that kind of fun!
I have been doing some xc skiing here and there, also trying to maintain doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred program for toning up.  Hoping to ride or swim (!) tonight-- that will all depend on what time work gets through today.....

Hope you are all well!
2011-01-26 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
I used Heed Pertetuem drink for all my long runs and on race day while training and running the NYC marathon. Also used Honey Chews.  Love, love! Honey is one of the only foods that metabolized such that its energy goes straight to your blood stream without having to be digested.

2011-01-26 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3319664

User image

Expert
Denver Area

jennifer65 - 2011-01-25 1:39 AM Just been for a walk/run. Nice to know i can still run outdoors - I was beginning to wonder. 

I totally understand Ada-bug the pulls of work, housework and everything else we have to do and childcare. At the end of the day this is just a hobby for most of us and so easily goes on the back burner.  How do men get their 2/3 hours of uninterrupted time to watch football on tv? Its a mystery.
Cool
J

no sh*t!  it's amazing these guys isn't it?  I'm pretty happy that football is overwith essentially, now there's a nice pause between super bowl and basketball playoffs....

my husband: "the holidays" are the time of year when basketball is just starting, football is underway, and there's playoff baseball happening too.  now that he's training for his first race tho', he feels the fatigue more so.

2011-01-26 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3321321

User image

Expert
Denver Area

owl_girl - 2011-01-25 3:47 PM

Hey Ladies!  It's awfully quiet around here!  Let's talk about nutrition!  What are your questions regarding fueling for triathlon training and racing?

Is it possible to make oneself ill by too much intake of electrolytes?

I'm a fan of shot blocks and gels with water. The only time I tried a electrolyte drink i.e. heed, I made myself ill I think. 

On the bike, for half iron distance or longer, I definitely ATE real FOOD---clif bar, uncrustables, homemade be'fast bar, or snack bar.

2011-01-26 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Re nutrition - I have yet to train for over an hour straight - i only go for over an hour when I'm competing!. After that i have an energy drink and a bar. I try (without much success) to be hydrated before training /racing as i don't like drinking too much during effort due to a weak pelvic floor (someone's mentioned that earlier haven't they?). I t probably doesn't do me much good though.

Went for a walk this morning and I'll try running again tomorrow.
I have however unpacked my hand weights (only 1kg each) so i can try and get al ittle more upper body strength.

One guy i met at a race said eating jelly beans during a race was good.
2011-01-26 9:54 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss Tracy....Two weeks ago I decided to do a indoor triathlon in the end of March and that was the kick in the butt I needed. I've started swimming but I'm so slow...when I do my kicking drills I almost move backwards,no kidding, any advices on that?Started biking too and I'm just wondering which one is better, spinning bike or stationary bike (I don't have a "real" bike yet)...and how hard do you bike, do you just monitor your heartbeat?I think I've a problem pushing myself when I run, I've been doing fartleks for few months and they really helped me run faster but still I don't like that burning feeling....I had bladder problems after my births and last summer I had an "accident" while running long distance (I so wanted to disappear) but my problem always resolve when I get really fit. Swam today and will run tomorrow....
2011-01-27 3:16 AM
in reply to: #3323802

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Run5 - 2011-01-27 3:54 AM I'm so sorry for your loss Tracy....Two weeks ago I decided to do a indoor triathlon in the end of March and that was the kick in the butt I needed. I've started swimming but I'm so slow...when I do my kicking drills I almost move backwards,no kidding, any advices on that?Started biking too and I'm just wondering which one is better, spinning bike or stationary bike (I don't have a "real" bike yet)...and how hard do you bike, do you just monitor your heartbeat?I think I've a problem pushing myself when I run, I've been doing fartleks for few months and they really helped me run faster but still I don't like that burning feeling....I had bladder problems after my births and last summer I had an "accident" while running long distance (I so wanted to disappear) but my problem always resolve when I get really fit. Swam today and will run tomorrow....

Some or the guys I swim with - and they are all very decent swimmers (mostly ironmen) actually go backwards with a float and just kicking. I'm not sure what that's about. I do go forwards but I find it pretty hard work.
Smile

2011-01-27 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3323176

One guy i met at a race said eating jelly beans during a race was good.

That sounds like a good idea. I don't like the taste of full strength sports drink, so I'm trying to think of ways to get some calories in during training that I'll be able to duplicate during a race.

So we had a big ol' snow storm here last night, and even though my running partner and I both had snow days, she still wants to go get our run in. I couldn't stand the thought of being The One Who Punked Out, so I'm off for some hills in a little bit. The dangers of peer pressure!

2011-01-30 1:18 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

I did a tough running race today!  It was super hilly, crossed a river up to my thigh, and then ran on the beach for the last two miles.  Whew!  I'm tuckered out!

2011-01-30 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3329081

Sounds like a fun race! Hope you have a relaxing afternoon.My plan is to meet my running partner for a 7 or 8 miler this afternoon. I haven't gotten a chance to test nutrition on a morning run yet, but I have a 10k race next weekend so may e I'll try some honey chews or jelly beans then. (It's just a race for fun, so I'm not worried about trying something new on this race day.)
2011-01-30 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3329262

User image

Elite
far northern CA

TheGoGoGoes - 2011-01-30 7:23 AM Sounds like a fun race! Hope you have a relaxing afternoon.My plan is to meet my running partner for a 7 or 8 miler this afternoon. I haven't gotten a chance to test nutrition on a morning run yet, but I have a 10k race next weekend so may e I'll try some honey chews or jelly beans then. (It's just a race for fun, so I'm not worried about trying something new on this race day.)

Trying a new food during a race for fun is a great idea!  I like the Sport Beans.  They are less sticky than chews when it gets warm.

2011-01-30 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3323160

User image

Elite
far northern CA

AdaBug - 2011-01-26 1:16 PM

owl_girl - 2011-01-25 3:47 PM

Hey Ladies!  It's awfully quiet around here!  Let's talk about nutrition!  What are your questions regarding fueling for triathlon training and racing?

Is it possible to make oneself ill by too much intake of electrolytes?

I'm a fan of shot blocks and gels with water. The only time I tried a electrolyte drink i.e. heed, I made myself ill I think. 

On the bike, for half iron distance or longer, I definitely ATE real FOOD---clif bar, uncrustables, homemade be'fast bar, or snack bar.

You can make yourself ill by taking too much food while exercising.  Your gut needs to be able to process what you add to it.  If the food just sits there, it sloshes around and becomes uncomfortable.

2011-01-30 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

I'm going on a bike ride today with the girls in the SUNSHINE!!!!  It has been lovely here!  We never, ever get this much sunshine and warmth in January!

How is the weather where you live?  What are you doing to get workouts done in bad weather?

2011-01-30 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
The weather in the north east of  the uk is a bit cold, but only down to -1/2 degrees c at night so one can get out a running/ biking once the frost has gone a little. I did forget to put on gloves the other day though and that wasn't very nice. Its just the whole getting changed and getting out there. Its still nicer to watch a film. drink tea and eat biscuits! Embarassed
2011-01-30 4:29 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
It was 70 degerees here in Charlotte today!!  So beautiful.  My IM training progrma starts tomorrow.  I am nervous and excited and nervous!!  That many miles on a bike scares the crap out of me!!!
2011-01-31 6:38 AM

New user

Wow- 70 degrees sounds fantastic. it is 8 degrees here and has been snowing about a foot a week. So, training is complicated by icy streets, distance to the pool/gym (20 minutes a way), crazy work schedules and balancing 3 kids and their different school schedules. it is much easier in the summer when school is out and the days are longer- the lake nearby is perfect for swimming. In winter I try to get outside to exercise every day. Depending on the depth of the snow it is either running on the road, snowshoe or skiing. I try to make it to the pool and gym at least 3 days a week but training here is difficult until everything thaws out!
2011-01-31 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

I am gear deficient for cycling so anything less than ~60F puts a hurting on me, I'm indoors for the bike. I love to run outside anytime, though when icey makes it tough.  I would just friggin' LOVE an acceptable place to OWS consistently and I hear tell they exist 'round here, alas I also lack a wetsuit so I'm stuck in the pool---though I do alternate pools when possible just to change it up. 

New training plan starts this week, and already I'm behind 'cause such a busy day yesterday, pluggin along! Off to the gym in a bit to put in a longish cycle partially in class.

2011-01-31 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3330864

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
AdaBug - 2011-01-31 5:15 PM

I am gear deficient for cycling so anything less than ~60F puts a hurting on me, I'm indoors for the bike. I love to run outside anytime, though when icey makes it tough.  I would just friggin' LOVE an acceptable place to OWS consistently and I hear tell they exist 'round here, alas I also lack a wetsuit so I'm stuck in the pool---though I do alternate pools when possible just to change it up. 

New training plan starts this week, and already I'm behind 'cause such a busy day yesterday, pluggin along! Off to the gym in a bit to put in a longish cycle partially in class.

Every year I hire a wetsuit from march to September for a very reasonable price. I keep putting off buying one as I keep hoping to loose weight!. However, no ows for me till may - far too cold -even with a wetsuit!

J
2011-01-31 5:11 PM

User image

Expert

Oh yeah, way too cold here to swim outside!  It's about 10 degrees out right now!  We are expecting a big snowfall tomorrow into Wednesday- we usually get a lot of snow but this year it's mostly gone to the East Coast.  I did get a nice long run in Sunday (8.3 miles) outside, but it was hard negotiating the snowy sidewalks. 

2011-02-02 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

Please tell me, ladies, am I the only one who misses workouts 'cause of children misbehaving? 

I really canNOT take her to kidsclub behaving poorly 1) cause it's like a reward, and I will not reward bad behavior and 2) 'cause that's not fair to the girls working there

It's frustrating as hell to need to do something for myself and have to put it off 'cause some small person is having a bad-attitude day.

2011-02-02 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3334728

User image

Elite
far northern CA

AdaBug - 2011-02-02 5:02 AM

Please tell me, ladies, am I the only one who misses workouts 'cause of children misbehaving? 

I really canNOT take her to kidsclub behaving poorly 1) cause it's like a reward, and I will not reward bad behavior and 2) 'cause that's not fair to the girls working there

It's frustrating as hell to need to do something for myself and have to put it off 'cause some small person is having a bad-attitude day.

No, you are not alone.  I wish I had a solution.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14