BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2011-02-21 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed!
Hey all!
Got my long run in while my son was at his church youth group.  Ran around the LSU Lakes, temps in the 70's to start, got to see the sunset, then the lights on the lake, temp dropped to upper 60's.  Beautiful run!  Reminded me of why I used to be a runner.  Sorry to all of those dealing with frigid temps!  Definite runners high for awhile.  Got back to my truck and downed a large gatorade.  Luckily the church had a vending machine and got another 20oz powerade that I sucked down.  Guess I was a little thirsty!

2011-02-22 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Got in an hour+ of spinning last night, but the weekend really stank for me.  I started getting sick Thursday and actually got up and left in the middle of a concert ... terrible head cold and I felt really bad.  Pretty much stayed in bed Fri - Sat and started to feel ~75% yesterday. 

The rest of the week for me will be some road bike time on Wednesday and swim training Friday morning.  Hopefully the weather will hold for a while and let me get in some outside running or cycling over the upcoming weekend.  Heck when you spend $250 for shoes, you want do more than just look at 'em
2011-02-22 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
2 Runs today! 1st was on the dreadmill working on the speed( or lack of speed), and then a HR run during lunch. Feels good.
2011-02-22 7:59 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Dorm - bummer about getting sick, hopefully you can employ those $250 shoes this weekend.

Randy - congrats on the runs!

Luna, Bert, Marty, Fit, JPF - How are you folks doing?

Rough couple of days at work and burning the midnight oil a bit.  Hopefully things will get better the next couple of days.  Tried for a swim today, got 500m into it and bagged it as a bad day.  Had forgot my stuff, borrowed some goggles as my backups were old and leaking, etc.  Hoping to ride the trainer tonight. 

Put my bike search on hold but no rethinking building a bike.  Will see.  My first race is April 2nd, almost here!
2011-02-23 5:58 AM

User image

Hi all! welll.... my weekend started great with picking up and being fitted for my first road bike and my first aero :-) but then i did 18 miles on that sore paw.... let's just say i ended up in the er after that run but luckiky nothing's broken but i have peroneal tedndintits. so i met my runnning challenge for the month but won't be running for a whilee. more time to hit the pool though :-)
2011-02-23 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
Good workouts the past couple days. this morning I met the goal for the ironman portion of the bike which is the most i've cycled in a month since i started training. Also working on becoming more efficient in the water but i have a long way to go. We just sold our house and they want to close in a month which means we have a couple weeks to find a house, throw in my daughters first birthday next weekend means these next 4-6 weeks are going to be a challenge not only physically but mentally to stay focused and motivated. Hope everyone is doing well.

2011-02-23 11:21 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Hi All,
Glad to see the updates.

Luna- So sorry you ended up in the ER. Hope your tendinitis is better in time for your March race.

Dorm- It's always amazing to me how much a head cold can affect your training. The last one I had threw me for a loop. Hope you're feeling better quickly.

JPF- omg- a first birthday- what fun times. Take lots of pictures and enjoy them because all of a sudden you'll blink and you'll have an 18 yo. And congrats on reaching the miles- even if you did beat me to it.

Randy- I wish I could run a block. Congrats on two in one day. Love the term dreadmill- that's my term of the month now- lol.

Gary- I am so excited, if I can get the day off work, I am going to be a wetsuit stripper for the New Orleans Ironman. My kids keep joking that their mom is going to be a stripper in New Orleans-lol.

Have been getting all of my workouts in, but it's been tough. This swim class is kicking my buns. Along with 13 hour shifts at work, I crawl into bed at night and pass out. But I will be an Iron Girl- at least I think I will- lol. Up to 80 miles on the bike so might make the challenge but my friend JPF beat me anyway- ;-).

Shelly

Athleta Iron Girl New Orleans- May 22- sprint
2011-02-24 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
Spring Time is over with, and its snowing again. The seasons fly by so quickly.
2011-02-24 4:29 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Afternoon all!!
Tough day at work, had to leave early for a house emergency.  Now getting ready to go to sons soccer practice (and bring laptop to get some work done).  Hoping to ride tonight.  I am going to have to take a day off to get a long ride in as all sorts of stuff is eating my weekend time.

Randy - yep, we went from spring to summer with temps at 80!

Shelly - Cool I will see you there.  I will make sure to bring a dollar or two for the strippers!

JPF - Congrats on selling the house and good luck finding a new one.  Hey you could take your bike, ride neighborhoods looking for new houses!

Luna - Pics?  Where are the pics?  New bike means pics!!! LOL!  Bummer about the tendonitis, PT?

Bert and Marty - where are you guys?
2011-02-25 9:04 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Quick fly by.  Swam and ran today, not great distances but both were good workouts.  If you are in the market for a helmet Rudy project is having a sale.  Think it ends today.  I will try to find the link and post.

Later!
2011-02-26 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Hi Everyone,

I am the worst member of this group, I haven't checked in for a while.  Been really busy with family, the usual Jan/Feb cold/flu season and training.  Been really trying to get on here to log my workouts, but that is about it.  I see everyone is doing really well with training and getting swims/bikes/runs in. 

Gary, thanks for the PM this week, I'll try to make some time to check in and post more often.  Sorry I missed the challenge you had too, could have used that motivation but will be ready for the next one.

Marcie 

2011-02-26 2:11 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Marcie,
Three days/three posts and all is forgiven!Wink

Note, even if you leave the group I will be following your exploits and cheering you on.  Bert for example, you left your bathroom light on and I turned it off for you.... Tongue out
2011-02-26 3:09 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Been down and out the past week with some virus...ready to kick back into it tomorrow...
2011-02-27 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Day 2 of my 3 day in a row post punishment.....

Planned 6 mile run today, but I still have this cold so we will see how much I can actually get done.  If I can go 3 I will be happy.

Making some 'Healthy Banana Bread' right now, it is in the oven with another 20 minutes to go.  I know a piece of that will make me feel pretty good.

My official HIM training starts a week from tomorrow, March 6.  Been reading the 20 week plan over, and I feel pretty good.  My biggest contraint will be time, as I am sure it is for most of us!

2011-02-27 11:54 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Afternoon all!
Quick swing by, yesterday was an USRD and will have to make it up this week.  DS scored the only goal for this team today and they tied.  That puts them in the finals at 2pm today.  I promised him a steak dinner if he scored a goal, guess I am buying!

Marcie - take it easy and get over that cold!

Marty - Glad you are better, go get'em!
2011-02-28 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Happy Monday!

Woke up with a sore thoat (still) and now 2 of my 3 kids are sick.  I did what any good mom would do, gave them some Motrin and sent them to the sitter because I have a meeting this morning at work that I cannot miss.  Now the guilt is setting in, so I will take the afternoon off to go get them.

Spin tonight, and the follow up swim I had planned is going to have to wait for another day, I can do a lot when sick, but swimming is not one of them.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Edited by swimmom2002 2011-02-28 8:22 AM

2011-02-28 4:58 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Swinging by, decent swim at lunch today and hopefully a run tonight.  Looks like I may have a new bike and put my bike up for sale.  Hoping things work out soon.  Longer post later.

Gary
2011-02-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3376232

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Just put Feb training to bed and am enjoying a nice cold beer.  Swam at lunch today and ran tonight.  One question for you fish, what stroke besides Freestyle do you work?

Great swim video on doing open turns instead of flip turns.  Turns out I am doing the open turns wrong!
2011-03-01 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Hi Gary - No better way to end February than with a swim!

I do a lot of backstroke in addition to free, but I was a backstroker back in school so that is most comfortable.  I hate breastroke and avoid it when I can, but the IM sets are hard to do without it.  

I do a lot of free/back alternating sets.  My pool time officially starts next Monday, I have purposefully been avoiding swimming so I could build a better running base.  I tend to swim a lot more than run since it is what a prefer, so I am really going to be trying hard to follow the HIM plan as close as I can so that does not happen.

Run planned tonight, I feel much better today than I have in the past week.

2011-03-01 7:30 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey all!
Just found out the local Tri group I belong to is sponsoring an Open water clinic.  Great warm up for my upcoming Tri's.  Had a great run last night and hoping for a decent trainer ride tonight.

Lots of folks getting over colds, injuries, etc.  Hope you all are getting better quickly!

Shelly - here is the info on the OWS if you want to head this way: http://www.batonrougetri.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2907

Edited by GaryRM 2011-03-01 7:57 PM
2011-03-01 11:36 PM
in reply to: #3378245

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2011-03-01 7:30 PM Hey all!
Just found out the local Tri group I belong to is sponsoring an Open water clinic.  Great warm up for my upcoming Tri's.  Had a great run last night and hoping for a decent trainer ride tonight.

Lots of folks getting over colds, injuries, etc.  Hope you all are getting better quickly!

Shelly - here is the info on the OWS if you want to head this way: http://www.batonrougetri.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2907

Gary,
I definitely want to do it. It doesn't say anything on the link about where/how to sign up. Do I just show up with my $? Any idea how cold the water is? It says wetsuit if needed and I'm fairly certain I'll need it, but just curious if most people will have them or not?

Thanks for the info. I am very excited for this opportunity. It's been years since I've been swimming in anything other than a pool.

Shelly

2011-03-01 11:49 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

Hi All,
Sorry I've been absent most of the last week. DD had a dance competition all weekend long in Baton Rouge and then I've had work and my swim class on the other days. I have been meeting myself coming and going and am plum worn out.

Didn't make the 112 miles on the bike ;-( Of course, getting the bike a week later than expected did factor into that. Got 88 miles in though so actually feel pretty good about that.

Also actually ran - well jogged 1/2 mi. continuous, walked 1/8 mile and then jogged another 1/2 mi. continuous. Now I know that sounds absolutely pitiful, but for me it is a great accomplishment. I honestly can walk faster than many people jog, but I really struggle to jog. Before I started my 12 week training plan- I couldn't go farther than a block or two. So this is major improvement. I see my cardiologist Thursday though to make sure all this is safe for me. We'll see what he says. Crossing my fingers for a good report.

Marcie- glad to see you back and sorry I haven't responded sooner.

I have tons of questions for the group, just don't have the time or energy right now to type them. Get ready though cause they will be coming- lol.

Anyway, just wanted to check in with everyone. Please keep posting , cause you guys keep me motivated,

Shelly

Athleta Iron Girl NO- May 22

2011-03-02 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3378492

User image

hi all- sorry i've been MIA, my hurt ankle was a sprain AND tendonitis so i've been depressed and laying low- guess exercise really does give me a mental boost. anyway, trying not to dwell on what this means for boston- it certainly won't be my redemption from NYC 2009 when i ran with tendinitis and ITB and finished under 6 hours. ugh.

foot is feeling better today so may try a chnging that lack cat 20-miler into the 10-miler portion...
2011-03-02 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
I also haven't been good about posting on here. Did my first actual spin class this morning with persuasion from a few friends.  Very different setting than what I am use to. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to smack that spin nazi (instructor) but looking back it was a great workout. We find out today if they've accepted our offer on a house. It's been a long road looking through over 60 houses so please keep your fingers crossed.
2011-03-02 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey everyone!
So glad to see everyone posting! If your hurt don't push it, you will get the training in but if you rush back before your body is ready you will just make it worse.

JPF - Never done a spin class but would love to try one.  Unfortunately I don't belong to a gym.  May be I will try one of those freebie visits.

Luna - have you tried pool running?  Never done it but those with injuries swear by it. I know you don't want to hear this but may be it would be a good idea to dump the Cat 20miler, heal a little more, and concentrate on Boston?

Shelly - yes, just show up with $5 and fill out the forms.  I am going to wear my wetsuit as I am using this as a practice for NOLA.  I am not sure how cold the water will be but last time it was in March most people wore a wetsuit.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115