BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-01-30 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3329289

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES
No doubt.  Workin for the man ain't cuttin it!  I cant wait until I retire and hopefully take a year or two off and just train whenever I want.  I could get in some serious volume!

2011-01-31 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3257098

Tyler, Texas
I found out today the duathlon isn't a duathlon.  It's a 10K run followed by a rally ride of various distances.  So, no transition worries really.  I should have about 30 mins to  switch to bike mode.    So is this actually a duathlon?  My buddy said no, duathlon is run/bike/run.   I thought it was any 2 events back to back.  Then again, this isn't b2b.

2011-01-31 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3331431

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Nope, not a du. Du is r/b/r w/ transitions.
2011-01-31 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3331610

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2011-01-31 2:02 PM Nope, not a du. Du is r/b/r w/ transitions.

Duathlons are a good way to get ready for the season though.  Next weekend, I'm doing an off-road duathlon.  2 mile trail run, 14 mile mountain bike, and same 2 mile trail run.

I like to use these short races to brush off the cobwebs, try out new equipment, or experiment with different fueling strateies.
2011-01-31 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Well... as we wrap up January, did everyone meet their goals?  I didn't have any real, concrete goals, but I did fall a little shy on the run.

However, starting tomorrow, things will start getting a little more focused.  My first "a" race for the season is March 27.
2011-01-31 9:55 PM

Can I still join this group? Love this new hobby of triathalons, but I feel I dont know much about it. I have done 2 half Ironmans and looking to do the American Triple T this May- I hear I need to research nutrition...any tips?

2011-01-31 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3331976

Regular
Spruce Grove
Didn't fully meet my goals - which were more about time spent than anything. I am feeling good about my progress overall from couch potato and laptop junkie to newbie triathlete though! I am definitely improving and starting to even enjoy the working out thing. February is definitely the time to get even more serious - first race is just over 3 months away!

brick94513 - 2011-01-31 6:36 PM Well... as we wrap up January, did everyone meet their goals?  I didn't have any real, concrete goals, but I did fall a little shy on the run.

However, starting tomorrow, things will start getting a little more focused.  My first "a" race for the season is March 27.
2011-02-01 12:12 AM
in reply to: #3332248

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
carebearcw - 2011-01-31 7:55 PM Can I still join this group? Love this new hobby of triathalons, but I feel I dont know much about it. I have done 2 half Ironmans and looking to do the American Triple T this May- I hear I need to research nutrition...any tips?

Sure, always room for more in here Smile.  Two HIMs for starters?  Nice.  What distance for the triple are you looking at?  Half iron again?  What specifically are looking for w/ the nutrition piece?  Where do you think your fueling failed in the past races?
2011-02-01 12:14 AM
in reply to: #3331964

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-31 5:32 PM

Duathlons are a good way to get ready for the season though.  Next weekend, I'm doing an off-road duathlon.  2 mile trail run, 14 mile mountain bike, and same 2 mile trail run.

I like to use these short races to brush off the cobwebs, try out new equipment, or experiment with different fueling strateies.

I'm itchin to race already.  Enough w/ the training!  I'm hoping to get a cyclocross bike and get some cross action in this fall before I have to deploy.  My whole season is pretty much blown for next year Frown.

Edited by shmeeg 2011-02-01 12:18 AM
2011-02-01 12:18 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-31 5:36 PM Well... as we wrap up January, did everyone meet their goals?  I didn't have any real, concrete goals, but I did fall a little shy on the run.

No goals for me, other than to start training all 3 disciplines again.  And I'm finding work is getting in the way more than I'd like.  And it's only going to get busier up until mid summer.  I may scrap my plan to race the HIM in September I was looking at just because I don't know how much steady training I'm going to get in.  I did get a volunteer spot for Oceanside 70.3 in April though, which I'm excited about.  I think I'm working the bike out/catcher section.  Should be a ton of pros to see at this year's race since the new point system rolled out.
2011-02-01 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3332339

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2011-01-31 10:14 PM

I'm hoping to get a cyclocross bike and get some cross action in this fall before I have to deploy.

I hear you.  Some guys at work have been trying to get me involved in cyclocross.  But, I've been really fighting it.  I just don't need to be buying another bike.  For the amount of money invested in bikes, I could have a nice car sitting in there place in the garage!  But, where would the fun be in that?  Laughing

2011-02-01 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3332339

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2011-01-31 10:14 PM

My whole season is pretty much blown for next year Frown.

If I remember right, there is a Middle East Championship Triathlon in Dubai!  If my geography serves me right, you would just need to hop across the the Gulf of Oman to the UAE....  Wink
2011-02-01 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3332817

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-02-01 7:09 AM If I remember right, there is a Middle East Championship Triathlon in Dubai!  If my geography serves me right, you would just need to hop across the the Gulf of Oman to the UAE....  Wink

Lol, yeah, lots of good riding in Afghanistan to train for it too! Laughing
2011-02-01 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Infinit is having a 50% off sale if anyone is interested.  I use it heavily for all my training.  I like the ability to customize the formula to my specific needs.  The sale is graduated every couple hours.  50% off is good til 2 pm EST, then 40% til 4 pm, then 20% off til 6 pm, and finally 10% off til midnite. 

Get the discount code here:
http://www.infinitloop.com/2011/01/rules-and-disclaimers-for-infinits-big.html

Edited by shmeeg 2011-02-01 10:47 AM
2011-02-01 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3328942

User image

New user
brick94513 - 2011-01-29 8:35 PM
Mtb63 - 2011-01-29 3:22 PM Thanks for the schooling, I also haven't given any thought to the rules.   I'm doing a duathlon next weekend so I did a little test run today to see how things went.  Ran a 10k then biked 34 miles, backward brick because that's the order in the event.  Even with some light planning for the transition, I was surprised how inept I was and felt during it.  It took me 11 minutes to get changed, refueled, and back on the bike.  I forgot to fill my bottles up prior to starting, I ran in running clothes and biked in biking clothes, had to scoop out and mix my endurance drink, had to use the bathroom, you get the picture.  I'm glad I did this because it highlighted for me an area I need to start practicing.  I was genuinely more worried about the 10k, and like the rules mentioned above, I hadn't given the transition much thought.

Transitions are the fourth discipline of triathlons!  This isn't any area to hang out, sit down, chat, change clothes, or eat.  By not being efficient here, you are just giving time away to your competitors.

Here's some tips:

1.  For the duathlon, run in tri shorts.  You never want to be changing clothes in transition.
2.  Invest in Lace Locks for your running shoes.  No time wasted tying and untying shoes this way.
3.  Have all food and nutrition ready to go on the bike.  Eat while riding!
4.  It takes practice, but have your shoes mounted on the pedals and slide into your shoes while riding.
5.  Remember to don and buckle helmet before unracking your bike (penalty otherwise).  Have the helmet upside down on your handlebars for a quick flip onto your head.
6.  Run your bike past the mount line and the other people trying to get on their bikes at the line.  People will fumble here.  Get clear of the congestion.

Usualy a couple weeks prior to an event, I'll start to dry run the transitions.  Basically, this is the same as a T2 transition, which you should be able to do in less than 1 minute.  I think Jay had a blistering T2 last year under 30 seconds.

Awesome tips!!! thanks im getting nervous, excited just reading about it! lol
2011-02-01 4:20 PM

User image

New user
brick94513 - 2011-01-31 7:36 PM Well... as we wrap up January, did everyone meet their goals?  I didn't have any real, concrete goals, but I did fall a little shy on the run.

My main goal of January was to start swimming and biking in addition to my running and happy to say I did! Lots of early mornings and plenty more where that came from.

2011-02-02 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

*chirp chirp* Nothing but crickets in here! 

Thought these articles might be helpful to those of you who are interested in doing more than one race, but need a little help with planning your season.

The ABCs of Planning Your Race Season

This is an excellent time to consider what you'd like to accomplish athletically in the upcoming year. As with many things, planning is the key to accomplishment for your race season.

Recreational Athletes

If you're a recreational athlete and your goal is simply to complete your events, then you only need to train one aspect of fitness: endurance. This entails planning enough time to slowly build your mileage to within about 10 to 15 percent of the distance of your goal race.

Note that many overuse injuries are caused by too much mileage too quickly. Don't increase your duration more than 10 percent a week and take at least every fourth week as a rest and recovery week. During a rest and recovery week, you should cut back your mileage by at least 25 percent, reduce your overall training volume, and add in an extra rest or active recovery day. If you're a runner, take a day of non-impact cross-training in place of a run.

Competitive Athletes

Competitive athletes, however, must take a different approach. A competitive athlete, by my definition, is any athlete who sets a specific performance goal. This may be as simple as a personal record. You don't have to win races to be competitive.

If you'd like to set a personal record or race placement goal this season, it will require more careful planning and organization of your race events. Start by prioritizing races into A, B and C events.

A Events
Your "A" events are those that you'll direct your training efforts towards. For best results, all of your A events should be similar or of the same format (ex. sprint triathlon). These are your main goals for the season and your training should gradually progress towards these races or events. Put these on your calendar first.

Note that A races take time to train for. Plan on spending at least 12 weeks of specific and directed training for an A race; this is called "peaking." Schedule your A races in four-week clusters or separate them by at least 10 to 12 weeks. Your training should ramp up in intensity and specificity as you approach your A races. Your last workouts prior to your A race taper should closely mimic race intensity and format.

What is a "taper?" Tapering means reducing training volume prior to a goal race in order to facilitate total and complete recovery. You should incorporate a taper a week or two prior to A race(s). The length of the taper will depend on the length of your event; the longer the event the longer the taper. There's nothing you can do the week of a goal race to physiologically increase performance, but there are many opportunities to reduce it. After completing an A race, plan on taking a week of active rest and recovery.

B Events
"B" events are training events that you'd like to do well at, but aren't goal races. B events are excellent warm-ups for A events. They're an opportunity to test and hone your race skills without the pressure of an A event. B events don't have to be the same format as an A event, but should help contribute to your A race performance. You still want to give 100 percent for a B event.

An example would be a 10K race prior to an Olympic-distance triathlon. You should rest or reduce your training load a few days before a B event, but don't taper as you would for an A event.

C Events
"C" events are fun events you enjoy doing, but aren't goal related. These are good events to leave the heart rate monitor at home. You don't have to push yourself physically during these events or have any performance objectives.

I like my athletes to schedule C events during their base training to keep up their enthusiasm. C events can be completely different from your A events. If you're a runner, you could do a 50-mile cycling event for charity. C events keep you active and interested in training.

A good place to start is with a 12-month planning calendar. Put your A races on first and then add B and C events. It's important not to schedule C events close to your goal events. This time is reserved for more specific and directed training.

Not only does prioritizing your races help with your training, it also helps identify what you'd like to accomplish as an athlete. Don't let your races sneak up on you!

10 Lifestyle Factors That Affect Training

As you look toward assembling your training plan and goals for next season, there are several things to consider. Of course the distance of each event and how much time there is between now and the event are important, but there are additional items that you should think about when putting details to your plan.

This column contains ten things to consider when deciding how many hours per week to train, how long your longest workouts should be, how many workouts to include in each sport each week, how many key or hard workouts to include and how many workouts you should string together before giving yourself some recovery. Let's begin.

1) What is your sport history?

If you are a triathlete trying to decide how much time to devote to swimming each week, that answer will change if your sport history includes no swimming experience compared to a history of being a former collegiate swimmer. A person with a deep swimming history can swim fewer days per week and fewer hours per workout.

2) What is your current level of fitness?

How long has it been since you've broken a sweat due to sustained aerobic activity? Someone that is currently a fit runner can handle more intensity in a training plan compared to the person that hasn't done aerobic work for years. Of course if you combine item 1 with item 2, combinations of sport history and current fitness levels will change training needs as well.

3) How much job stress do you have?

While exercise is a recommended method to reduce stress, too much volume and intensity along with a very stressful job can lead to injuries and burnout.

4) What are your family obligations?

A single person with no family living in the same town has different time commitments to family than someone taking care of their own three children and aging parents. Of course a single parent has a bigger load than two parents sharing responsibilities.

5) How many social obligations do you have?

Some people are very active with volunteer organizations, church groups, youth groups and other social groups. People that have multiple social obligations need to budget time differently than people with no social obligations outside of sport.

6) How much down time or recovery time do you have in each day and week?

Too many athletes cheat on sleep. A commonly heard quote is: "I can sleep when I'm dead." Well, you can't turn in good performances and enjoy yourself when you're dead, and those stellar performances don't come without adequate rest. Sleep and recovery periods are necessary for the body to absorb the benefits of challenging training. Plan high quality recovery periods.

7) What is your injury and illness history?

People that are dealing with old or current injuries need a different training plan than someone that has bullet-proof health. Of course, people that are recovering from a recent viral or bacterial illness have different training needs than a healthy person.

8) How physical is your job?

If you spend eight to ten hours each day doing a very physical job (firefighting, mail delivery, military services, construction, etc.), your training needs are different than someone that is self-employed and sits in front of a computer all day long.

9) How much training time is available?

People often think, "Gee, I get off of work at 5:00 p.m. so I have three hours to train each day, in order to wind things down by 8:00 p.m., and I have unlimited time on the weekends." When you consider actual training time, be sure to consider all of the items listed above, commuting time, preparation before training and clean up after training. Once you consider the items listed in the column, you may find you have one hour, at the most, on three nights per week. Fortunate are those of you that have ample hours for training and recovery, in addition to the luxury of flexible workout time to cherry-pick the best weather and daylight conditions.

10) How old are you?

No athlete considers themselves "old", but the fact of the matter is that as we age, our recovery isn't as fast as a young, sub-30-year-old person. The overall training volume and intensity that brings about improvements toward sport goals differ for a 25-year-old when compared to a 65-year-old.

If you assemble your own training plan, be sure to consider life and lifestyle factors that affect training, recovery and performance. If assembling your own plan from scratch is overwhelming, you can certainly make great use of ready-to-use training plans as your starting platform. From the plan framework, you can slight adjustments to volume, intensity and frequency of workouts to meet your personal needs.

2011-02-04 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3331964

User image

Expert
brick94513 - 2011-01-31 5:32 PM

just checking up on you guys. Tongue out 

Hey Tim, is this the TBF Chanoko Du?  I'll be doing it too.  I'll be rolling in a silver Honda minivan with an old yellow bike on the roof...  see you there?

carry on...
2011-02-05 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Jay, you ready for next weekend?  I could of used a couple more weeks, but nevertheless, I should be alright.  I would like to get one more long rides done with a little less climbing though.  I just don't know if there will be enough time in my schedule.  Last couple of days, I had to switch over to some MTB riding to get ready for my off-road duathlon this weekend.

Speaking of racing, MAN, I pumped to get back out there this weekend.  I really have only one goal and that's to beat my last year's time of 1:31:28.  It will be cool to meet up with Dave too.  Oh, and another bonus, my oldest son might do the 6 mile MTB race scheduled for after the duathlon.
2011-02-05 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Oh yeah, Jay, one more thing.  What wheels are you going to run for Palm Springs?  I was thinking about putting my aero wheels on my bike, but my speed is going to be so slow, I'm not sure if there will be a benefit.  Not to mention, if we have to battle crosswinds, it will definately be detrimental.
2011-02-05 10:21 AM

Tyler, Texas
Well, my run/ride this morning was canceled due to snow and ice on the road.  In 23 years, this is the 2nd cancellation.  I found an actual off-road duathlon at the state park in 2 weeks I'll set my sights on, 2.5/10/2.5.  I echo the nervous/excited feelings, can't wait to get going.  Nothing like butterflies in the morning to feel alive!

BTW, Jay and Tim, I ordered some tri shorts and lace locks and have been playing around with T2 transition.  You're right about it being another discipline, training is a must here.  Seems easy enough right?  The trick is a fast, smooth transition.  Appreciate the tips guys.

2011-02-05 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3340443

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-02-05 7:33 AM Jay, you ready for next weekend?  I could of used a couple more weeks, but nevertheless, I should be alright.  I would like to get one more long rides done with a little less climbing though.  I just don't know if there will be enough time in my schedule.  Last couple of days, I had to switch over to some MTB riding to get ready for my off-road duathlon this weekend.

Speaking of racing, MAN, I pumped to get back out there this weekend.  I really have only one goal and that's to beat my last year's time of 1:31:28.  It will be cool to meet up with Dave too.  Oh, and another bonus, my oldest son might do the 6 mile MTB race scheduled for after the duathlon.

Yeah, I'm gtg.  I felt really good after my 70 miler last weekend, so I know I've got a century in my legs.  Given the amount of climbing you do on your regular rides, the TdPS should feel like a pancake!  I know that feeling!  I only have a bike race on the schedule for March then an Oly in April.  Mostly trail runs and another century until the fall after that.  Very cool, hope he kicks a$$ at his race!
2011-02-05 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3340446

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-02-05 7:35 AM Oh yeah, Jay, one more thing.  What wheels are you going to run for Palm Springs?  I was thinking about putting my aero wheels on my bike, but my speed is going to be so slow, I'm not sure if there will be a benefit.  Not to mention, if we have to battle crosswinds, it will definately be detrimental.

I don't have any sweet wheels yet Embarassed.  I'm just rollin my Dura Ace front and PT rear that I always keep on the Felt.  The roads up there are kind of sh1tty anyway, I don't know that I would use em if I even had some.  I think even at our 'leisurely' pace, you would still see some benefit from them.  Even if it's just saving a few watts of power to maintain the same speed, it's still something.  I'd be more concerned about one of the other seven thousand people out there causing me to do something that might end up F*ing up a wheel.
2011-02-05 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3340493

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Mtb63 - 2011-02-05 8:21 AM Well, my run/ride this morning was canceled due to snow and ice on the road.  In 23 years, this is the 2nd cancellation.  I found an actual off-road duathlon at the state park in 2 weeks I'll set my sights on, 2.5/10/2.5.  I echo the nervous/excited feelings, can't wait to get going.  Nothing like butterflies in the morning to feel alive!

BTW, Jay and Tim, I ordered some tri shorts and lace locks and have been playing around with T2 transition.  You're right about it being another discipline, training is a must here.  Seems easy enough right?  The trick is a fast, smooth transition.  Appreciate the tips guys.

That sucks!  At least you only have a short wait until the other race.  At those distances, you should be able to go full-bore on the bike and the second run.  Maybe just back off pace slightly for the first 2.5.  The shorts will be a godsend on the run.  Make sure to grease the undercarriage w/ some chamois cream, body glide, etc.  Even for short races it can get a bit uncomfortable at times.  I need to get some Yankz or something too.  I wore my race shoes for my run yesterday and the damn Zoot laces aren't staying tight.  Pisses me off I tell ya!  Are you using clipless pedals for the race?  I always thought if I ever did MTB or 'cross racing I'd be a little nervous to go clipless for an off-road race.

ETA: For transitions, having a clear mental picture and a little muscle memory of how your transition is going to go is key.  You should be in and out in under 90 seconds easy.

Edited by shmeeg 2011-02-05 12:40 PM
2011-02-05 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21