Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2011-05-02 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Roy & Sean I hope St. Anthony's treated you both well. Too bad about the swim being shortened, I think they should just move it to where it was at Northshore and add the distance to make the .9 swim. BTW that angry water over by spa beach was almost as bad as Daytona Frogman So my swimmer was irritated that he had to run 1/2 a mile to T1, he's like"that was the whole reason I wanted to do a relay so I don't have to run"! LOL. He's like " why can't they let the runner run T1! Haahaa! Anyway the run felt good kept a 9:15 pace, wish I could have been faster but in due time.

Our Team ended up placing 8th in the mixed relay, and then when I went to get the award plaques the lady is like oh you placed 9th, we had an insert? and it will show in the online results. So I just looked and it says we placed 8th!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I am going to do the whole race next year. Oh and next we need to have a BT gathering!

2011-05-03 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3478770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Thanks Courtney, glad you had a good time the race went very well for me placed 71st in AG which is a good finish and is % wise where I had set my goal finish. The race went well in all phases, swim EHHHHH not great but didn't ruin my day, bike early on I was passing a lot of 50-54 ag men which was good. Held good pace all the way through, the head wind on several occasions was pretty strong and took a bite out of the overall speed avg. but in talking to some of the folks I know who are stong cyclist they felt the same way. So I took that as a positive. I felt like I paced the bike properly, moved up well in the AG group after the bike, then went and did a really good run. 52:20 or so. Legs felt great the whole way, I was looking to go 8:30 or better did 8:28/mile officially. So in all a very successful day for me.

I didn't mind the run down to the bike area it was OK, I'm sure if they decide to switch permantly they will make a change in that area. The only problem I had for the day, was on Saturday evening I'm going through my packet, and I notice no ankle strap for the chip. HHHMMMM, I had in my hand when I went by the guy who verified ID and made sure the chip was good, I guess I dropped it somewhere. So the info reads if you loose/forget your chip you can get one at swim start. So I didn't feel any urgency to go back to sign in and get one then. Race morning I start looking for someone who can assist me. One guy I ask, nope just gave out the few I had, OK now a little worry sets in. So I continue my quest and when they suggested a zip tie I pretty much figured plan B better be good. I had a good parking spot so I took some of my stuff I didn't need in transition back to the car and started scrounging for something to use. Found it, used a lanyard from a name holder and made it work, actually I liked it better than the ankle straps. Might use it again. Had a few funny looks from folks but what do you do. Then when I finished got a real funny look from the girl who was removing the ankle straps. But is was OK.

So in all a great day at St. Anthony's, got to meet Sean and his wife. Pleasure to meet you guys, and Courtney I'm glad you had a good(great) experience you'll enjoy the race next year.

2011-05-03 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

I had a decent race as well.  Swin was pretty good but could have been better.  Lots of traffic on that first turn buoy.  Had to Tarzan swim the first 200-300 yards probably.  Did not hit a rhythm until about 1/2 way along the back stretch.

The run to T1 was 1/2 mile by my Garmin.

Ride was good.  The winds gusts made staying down in aero pretty hard.  I only have 35mm deep rims.  Not sure how those guys on full disks were handling it.

Run was decent.  Went out a little too fast 8:10s for the first mile.  Backed it down a bit and then got a side stitch.  Hate those.  Ended up about 3 mins sub hour (which was my old record in this race) so happy with that.  PRed all 3 disciplines.

Roy your times looked great.  Looks like you beat me by just over 1 minute!  Way to go!  I need to take some running tips from you!

And it was great to meet you and your wife as well.

BTW Richard ended up getting an IV and was fine later that day.  You called it: dehydration.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-05-03 7:51 AM
2011-05-03 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Roy, a question about Orlando 70.3 came up.  Do they have changing tents or no?  They did at the 70.3 WC in Clearwater but not sure about this race.  Trying to plan our race attire around this.

Thanks...

2011-05-03 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3479345

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
TriRSquared - 2011-05-03 9:29 AM

Roy, a question about Orlando 70.3 came up.  Do they have changing tents or no?  They did at the 70.3 WC in Clearwater but not sure about this race.  Trying to plan our race attire around this.

Thanks...

Well you know I don't remember seeing one, once you come out of the water your on a path/walkway for a bit then you run through on mulch(could be painfull) and into transition. I guess when you all check in your bikes on Saturday you can scope it out. Speaking of check in, if your not staying on site I would'nt put my bike on the bus. These are just regular tour buses with normal cargo holds. I did the bike thing last year, my bike went in laying on its side then another guy with his bike they laid it on top of my bike and thats how it goes. If you park in the lot where the bus transport is you can ride there in about 10 minutes then catch the bus out. I rode my bike to the parking lot after the race last year.

You are probably going to observe some pretty serious drafting on the bike if its like last year. I got passed by 4-5 8+ groups last year of men and one small group of front of pack ladies. The bike route is nice you'll like it. One section of some hills when you get to the north and west of Disney.

I'm glad Richard is OK.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-05-03 9:07 AM
2011-05-03 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3479441

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
tri/tbay - 2011-05-03 10:06 AM
TriRSquared - 2011-05-03 9:29 AM

Thanks...

Well you know I don't remember seeing one, once you come out of the water your on a path/walkway for a bit then you run through on mulch(could be painfull) and into transition. I guess when you all check in your bikes on Saturday you can scope it out. Speaking of check in, if your not staying on site I would'nt put my bike on the bus. These are just regular tour buses with normal cargo holds. I did the bike thing last year, my bike went in laying on its side then another guy with his bike they laid it on top of my bike and thats how it goes. If you park in the lot where the bus transport is you can ride there in about 10 minutes then catch the bus out. I rode my bike to the parking lot after the race last year.

You are probably going to observe some pretty serious drafting on the bike if its like last year. I got passed by 4-5 8+ groups last year of men and one small group of front of pack ladies. The bike route is nice you'll like it. One section of some hills when you get to the north and west of Disney.

I'm glad Richard is OK.

Thanks for the tips.  We are actually taking our RV and staying at Fort Wilderness.  Scored a spot near transition too.  So we actually get to sleep in (relatively).

2011-05-03 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
I emailed the Race director this morning telling them about the results mishap and they checked and we did actually come in 8th place so I am picking up new plaques. Yeah for them making it right! :0)
2011-05-03 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3480243

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

buc20 - 2011-05-03 3:30 PM I emailed the Race director this morning telling them about the results mishap and they checked and we did actually come in 8th place so I am picking up new plaques. Yeah for them making it right! :0)

Doesn't that qualify you for HyVee?  I thought it was top 10 qualified...

2011-05-03 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3480330

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
TriRSquared - 2011-05-03 3:59 PM

buc20 - 2011-05-03 3:30 PM I emailed the Race director this morning telling them about the results mishap and they checked and we did actually come in 8th place so I am picking up new plaques. Yeah for them making it right! :0)

Doesn't that qualify you for HyVee?  I thought it was top 10 qualified...

I didn't know what HyVee was so I googled it(beginner hereLaughing) I don't see anything about qualifying on the website. I know top ten gets  awards......

2011-05-03 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3480407

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Maybe relays don't count but see the last paragraph of this page:  Granted this is not St Ants but all 5150 events are supposed to be the same.

http://5150klagenfurt.com/athletes/qualification/

2011-05-06 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Hello everyone, a quite week for us who just finished off St. Anthony's. This was my spring A race it went really well a PR for my efforts, my training plan worked nicely and overall a very positive event. I only have a couple of sprints over the summer at this point and the Mayfaire 5K this Saturday night. Might have a chance at a best time on this one. So we'll see.

Whats everyone else up to in the next few weeks. I know Sean has a busy next couple of months should be exciting.

Vin how is the rehab going?

Nice pic Courtney, we just can't keep upCool.

Have a great day.

2011-05-06 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Good Friday Morning!

Great to read about last weekend's race from everyone.  Made me feel like I was there with everyone.

Been a normal week for me.  Had a good swim this morning working on technique and some speed.  1100 yds in 20 minutes.  Feels like I am getting faster.

I am planning to sign up for my second triathlon.  It would be another sprint distance on June 4.  This is the Gary Kirby Triathlon.  The cool thing about that race is my dad will be in town visiting that weekend.  It would be awesome to have him there.

I have also already signed up for a sprint on July 23.  This is the Mission Man Triathlon.  This will be a 750 OWS and for July I am sure the water will be pretty warm with an 8am start.  I am looking forward to that event.

Almost forgot.  Have a fun 5K coming up on May 21.  This will be the Gladiator 5K.  Throughout the course there will be 12-15 military-type obstacles to overcome.  The last one should be a mud pit coming to the finish line.  I am doing this with 3 others guys and it should be a blast.  

I have not told the group this before, but May 21 is a significant date for me.  This will mark the 10th anniversary of a stroke that happened to me.  I was looking for a way to celebrate this date and saw this race.  What a great way to show how you can overcome any obstacle.  Fortunately the stroke did not cause any long term effects, but definitely a reminder.

Going for a long ride first thing tomorrow morning.  I hope everyone has an awesome Friday and weekend.  If anyone is racing....good luck!

2011-05-06 9:36 AM

User image

Arnold, MD

Hi Everyone,

Man.... I am so jealous of all of you. Most of you have already gotten some good racing in. Kudos to all of you. I am coming down for St Anthony's next year.... count on it.... after the race I am going to get a chattaburger -who's in

Roy - congrats on your results. Sounds like your planning worked pretty well. (When does that ever happen ?)

So I am back to training now, and had 2 swims with my masters group. Shoulder is very very sore after... for about 24 hours. I only did about 2000 yds each swim, and I plan on bringing that up slowly over the next couple of weeks.

I have some tough choices to make shortly about my upcoming races.... I am in fairly good shape for not being on a full training schedule for the last 2 months but not totally race ready. Here is the schedule...

May 14th - Tri-Rock - Sprint Triathlon - Annapolis (Definitely doing this one... short swim, hometown race, I can ride my bike to the race.)

May 22nd - Columbia Oly - Triathlon (tough tough race.... lots of hills on the bike and the run)

I am not so sure about this one. I know I could finish it, and could easily get through the swim. I am not worried about injuring my shoulder / overworking it, just worried about the hills. My gut says just go out - have as much fun as I can.... take it easy and finish it up, not worry about time. My tri club will have a big presence at this race as well so I really want to go.

June 12th - Eagleman - 1/2 Iron (this was supposed to be my A Race of the spring / early summer) - My running is the big worry here. This would be my first 1/2 iron, and my mileage is not up to 13 yet. The race is a month away.... so I have a little bit of time, but not much. I could opt to do the aquavelo, and I think right now that will be my backup plan if I dont feel my legs are up to it.

I cant tell all of you how much I have been hemming and hawing over what to do about the races.... basically I am just nervous that I have not been fully training the last couple months. I knew my shoulder was hurt pretty bad when I had the ski fall, and I knew it would affect my races, but now its coming up to race time and reality is setting in hard....

Let me know if you have any advice on the races.

Thanks for reading my rant.

- Vin

2011-05-06 9:40 AM

User image

Arnold, MD

Brett,

The Gladiator race seems like a fantastic way to celebrate that date. Kick some .

- V

Edited by vhardick 2011-05-06 2:48 PM
2011-05-07 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Hey everyone. I wanted to get your opinions. Right now I am not clipless on my bike. Wear my running shoes with the "rat traps" on the pedals. What are your recommendations for clipless shoes and pedals that are affordable? I want to go that route one day.
2011-05-08 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3486764

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

cup06champs - 2011-05-07 2:11 PM Hey everyone. I wanted to get your opinions. Right now I am not clipless on my bike. Wear my running shoes with the "rat traps" on the pedals. What are your recommendations for clipless shoes and pedals that are affordable? I want to go that route one day.

I personally love my Look Keo pedals.  Be sure to get the cleats wit the white teflon insert however.  The ones w/o end to squeak.

2011-05-08 5:54 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Ugh, been fighting a sore throat/clogged sinuses for the last 2 days.  Was supposed to do a long run today but bagged it.  Here's hoping it passes in the next few days without sapping me too much for the HIM in a week.
2011-05-10 1:49 PM

User image

Arnold, MD

Cool

Edited by vhardick 2011-05-10 2:09 PM
2011-05-10 1:49 PM

User image

Arnold, MD

Roy,

How is the new bike ? Its been a while since you got it. The reason I am asking is because I have been having some discomfort on mine on long rides.

Give me your opinion on road bike vs triathlon bike. I understand the angles are different and what that is supposed to mean, but havent heard it from someone who has one. I need to ride one.

I just did a fit session with my LBS, it helped tremendously, but I am still a little uncomfortable in the aero bars (legs/hips feel cramped) - we did all the adjustments possible to get it as good as we could at the store, but I think the root of the problem is I am not able to get the good / laid down angle that a TT/Tri bike provides.

Edited by vhardick 2011-05-10 2:07 PM
2011-05-11 9:38 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Went for a run last night.  Wow it sucked.  Could not breathe at all.  I am REALLY hoping I get my energy back by Sunday.  Otherwise it is going to be a very long day in the sun.
2011-05-11 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3493315

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Hey Sean, I forgot your racing this weekend. Hopefully you'll get to feeling better by Saturday. There is a lot of upper respiratory infections going around sound like some of what you have. Your wife is feeling well I hope? Do your best use the day as good prep for IMCda and hopefully you'll have a good race report for us next week.  A chance of rain over the weekend so maybe you'll get some cloud cover on the run.

Have a good race!!

2011-05-11 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3485212

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
vhardick - 2011-05-06 10:36 AM

Hi Everyone,

Man.... I am so jealous of all of you. Most of you have already gotten some good racing in. Kudos to all of you. I am coming down for St Anthony's next year.... count on it.... after the race I am going to get a chattaburger -who's in

Roy - congrats on your results. Sounds like your planning worked pretty well. (When does that ever happen ?)

So I am back to training now, and had 2 swims with my masters group. Shoulder is very very sore after... for about 24 hours. I only did about 2000 yds each swim, and I plan on bringing that up slowly over the next couple of weeks.

I have some tough choices to make shortly about my upcoming races.... I am in fairly good shape for not being on a full training schedule for the last 2 months but not totally race ready. Here is the schedule...

May 14th - Tri-Rock - Sprint Triathlon - Annapolis (Definitely doing this one... short swim, hometown race, I can ride my bike to the race.)

May 22nd - Columbia Oly - Triathlon (tough tough race.... lots of hills on the bike and the run)

I am not so sure about this one. I know I could finish it, and could easily get through the swim. I am not worried about injuring my shoulder / overworking it, just worried about the hills. My gut says just go out - have as much fun as I can.... take it easy and finish it up, not worry about time. My tri club will have a big presence at this race as well so I really want to go.

June 12th - Eagleman - 1/2 Iron (this was supposed to be my A Race of the spring / early summer) - My running is the big worry here. This would be my first 1/2 iron, and my mileage is not up to 13 yet. The race is a month away.... so I have a little bit of time, but not much. I could opt to do the aquavelo, and I think right now that will be my backup plan if I dont feel my legs are up to it.

I cant tell all of you how much I have been hemming and hawing over what to do about the races.... basically I am just nervous that I have not been fully training the last couple months. I knew my shoulder was hurt pretty bad when I had the ski fall, and I knew it would affect my races, but now its coming up to race time and reality is setting in hard....

Let me know if you have any advice on the races.

Thanks for reading my rant.

- Vin

Hi Vin sorry for not getting this done sooner. Your in a tough spot, and we all know our competitive side surfaces no matter how we are trying to face the realities of our situation. If your feeling good, and know you will have some limitations then use the sprint and Oly to help race your way into shape for Eagleman. I wouldn't worry about whether you can get to the 13  mile point in your training, if you can get in some 10-12 mile run(s) that will do. If your first half goes kind of like mine did, there was a pretty fair amount of walking going on during the run anyway. I think I adopted I'm not going to be miserable, I'm going to finish and have fun mentalilty.

I hope this helps in your decision making, but I think I'd go for it and know there will be other opportunities in the future.
2011-05-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3487688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
TriRSquared - 2011-05-08 11:00 AM

cup06champs - 2011-05-07 2:11 PM Hey everyone. I wanted to get your opinions. Right now I am not clipless on my bike. Wear my running shoes with the "rat traps" on the pedals. What are your recommendations for clipless shoes and pedals that are affordable? I want to go that route one day.

I personally love my Look Keo pedals.  Be sure to get the cleats wit the white teflon insert however.  The ones w/o end to squeak.

X2 on the Keo's, they have a very affordable model KEO Easy, a single tension pedal with the same cleat as any of the other keo models. I use the KEO Sprint on my race bike and have the Easy on my road bike. I paid 65 plus shipping for them about 3 years ago. Shoe's you can get a nice pair of Shimano, Louis Garneau's triathlon shoes for under $130.00 You'll pay the same for a road shoe. The cages aren't bad but you'll be glad when you make the decision to go clipless then you can tell your storyYell about your first oooops I fell.
2011-05-11 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3491927

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
vhardick - 2011-05-10 2:49 PM

Roy,

How is the new bike ? Its been a while since you got it. The reason I am asking is because I have been having some discomfort on mine on long rides.

Give me your opinion on road bike vs triathlon bike. I understand the angles are different and what that is supposed to mean, but havent heard it from someone who has one. I need to ride one.

I just did a fit session with my LBS, it helped tremendously, but I am still a little uncomfortable in the aero bars (legs/hips feel cramped) - we did all the adjustments possible to get it as good as we could at the store, but I think the root of the problem is I am not able to get the good / laid down angle that a TT/Tri bike provides.

OK I think I'm about caught up on responses, sorry everyone for the delay this week.

Well if I had a bumper sticker it would say "I LOVE MY(new) BIKE" it's great. What a difference from the other TT bike. I think I picked the perfect bike for my build. Discomfort on long rides depending on where and how prolonged the discomfort is can tell the story at times. Saddle make, saddle height, bar height, bike size many variables to explore.

If you recall Brian has a road bike he is adapting into for triathlon purposes and he will need to make some adjustments to get comfortable. Maybe he can jump in here and tell how it is going.

The discomfort and cramped feeling you have is because of the road bike geometry, seat angle is usually 73degrees on road bikes so you have to make a major change is seat angle to get comfortable on a road bike to ride with aero bars. What your feeling is your hip angle is to closed, which gives you that restricted feeling and most likely a loss of power. I'm not sure what adjustments were made at the bike shop, but to get the hip anle opened back up, your saddle should have moved forward and up some to compensate for the lower front end position.

TT bikes are built with this in mind, seat angles are 76 to 80 degrees and your pedal stroke will use different muscles( more quads instead of hamstrings) so as to allow for a better run off of the bike.
2011-05-11 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Alright last one for the day, ran the Mayfaire 5k on Saturday night. Felt I would have a good opportunity to get a best time. Well came withing 8 seconds(23:26) of an all time best time, but I did get an event best time by about 14 seconds. This is a tough 5K as 5ks go. It is a bit hilly and you can push way out of your red line zone real easy, but based on my run time I think maybe I'm getting close to breaking 22 min. on a flat 5K. So maybe I'll get the opportunity to do one this summer.

I got a little down time for this week and then I'll get back to it for a Father's Day sprint in Sebring.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17