BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-17 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3450864

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - FULL like whoa!
croixfan - 2011-04-17 6:40 AM

Glad it was you jumping the obstacles and not me Sara.  With my coordination we'd be reading about broken bones. 

They've got an event they hold here in Chicago -- believe in a few other places as well -- that's called the "warrior dash".  All kinds of obstacles + mud + a fire jump.  Checked out the website and it looked really cool, but I'm too much of a chicken to try that one!

I have heard of it and DEFINITELY want to do it when I'm healed up.  A guy in our tri club came in 8th overall at the Warrior Dash in Allentown, PA so he qualified for some other race.  I didn't realize it was THAT competitive.  It definitely is a kind of race that I would recommend to someone-but many, many weeks before an 'A' race, just in case.

2011-04-17 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3450975

User image

Master
Dunedin

Johanne, that sounds like such a fun idea.  That's it, I'm moving out to where you live, sounds like there are WAY more opportunities for fun races.  I supposed your weather is more conducive for it.  I can't believe we're in the middle of April and having trouble climbing out of 40* weather.  Anywho, I love the idea of combining ages, that's so cool!

50andgettingfit - 2011-04-17 10:20 AM

I'm doing Muddy Buddy in October. I did it last year too. Looking at the websites, I think it's much tamer then WD. You pair up with a partner and alternate running and mountain biking with an obstacle at each switch. The obstacles were fun like a balance beam and a wall climb, mud crawl, etc. They add up your ages to put you in an age group and we were in the 99+ group and came in 2nd! The funny thing was there wasn't an age group above us. I think they figured at a certain age you just wouldn't do these fun races

2011-04-17 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3451057

User image

Master
Dunedin

Curt, try this...

4 x 50yd build (break the pool into three parts, usually: the wall to the first set of backstroke flags, the middle of the pool, and the backstroke flags to the wall-it's okay if the three parts aren't equal, I *think* that the wall to the flags is 5 yards, so you'd have a 5 yard section, 15 yard section, and 5 yard section at a 25yd pool...  swim easy from the wall to flags, faster between the flags, faster from flags to wall, faster off the wall to the flags, faster between the flags, and try to keep your head down and sprint that last 5 yds)

5 x 100yd on 2:45 (or three minutes if you're not comfortable doing the math on the pace clock).  Try to swim each 100 on 2:15 so that you have 30 seconds rest.

4 x 25yd sprints (good idea to count your strokes to see if you can go fast, but keep the stroke count under 20)

100yd cheesy easy (some elementary backstroke or double-arm backstroke, some easy breaststroke, etc)

Let me know how you feel after those 100 repeats.  It should feel tough, but not impossible.  The goal is to hit 2:15 on every. single. 100yd repeat.  So, it may feel easy on the first one, but you'll learn to control your pace if you practice the repeats to adjust your effort when you become fatigued.

Let me know if you're the one at the 50m pool...if that's the case then the sprints at the end can actually be a repeat of those 50yd builds that are at the beginning of the workout.

As far as balance issues when you slow your pace down... I wonder if you're able to compensate for lack of balance when your arms and legs are going fast, but you can't when you slow down. For example, you have trouble balancing on your bike when you're not in motion, but once you start pedaling you get that balance back.  I hope that makes a little bit of sense!  It sounds like you would REALLY benefit from someone videotaping you swimming.  Even if it's just with a cell phone video.

croixfan - 2011-04-17 12:13 PM

Did 900 yards at the pool and a 3.4 mile run this AM.  Both went fine / very pleased with the weekend.

Sara, need your help and guidance on the swim.  Today I was working on form -- if that's what you want to call my swimming!  Can tell that my legs are still sinking and that I'm lifting too much on my breathing.  HOWEVER, I swam 100 yards at a faster pace / bit harder effort.  During this 100, could feel my body rolling, arms extending, felt the power/resistance as I pulled, could tell I was on top of the water, was rolling versus lifting to breath.  Time was 2:08.  Not earth shattering, but a number I'm OK with.  Challenge is that I don't feel as if I can do this for longer than 100 yards.  Recovered after about 30-40 seconds.  What's your recommendation on how I can build on this / learn to hold this pace for longer?  Also, why does my balance suffer so much more when I am going slow?  Really like the feeling of moving through the water and look forward to when that's the norm versus the exception.

2011-04-17 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Expert
San Jose

Curt inspired me by having such good workouts! I had a hill repeat run workout and I just kept thinking positive thoughts about it and I did good I'm not a good hill runner but I just maintained a nice steady pace and was able to do all my hill repeats. I love this group and the motivation it gives me. Plus I love the fact that I can own up to skipping a workout last week because by saying it out loud it helped me regroup and buck up. Workout done for the day and this afternoon I get a massage to work out the knots. Good Sunday!

2011-04-17 2:35 PM

User image

Arizona
I would totally do a Warrior Dash. We actually have a group of firemen going to Florence to do the one at the end of this month. By the time I found out and went to sign up, it was too late to get in their wave . I decided to wait and do it next year. Besided I'm not sure how I would look in a miniskirtEmbarassed. That was what they were talking about wearing for the dash.
2011-04-17 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3450770

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-16 10:36 PM
itziaol - 2011-04-16 7:07 PM 

You motivate me to get my act together and train today.  Thanks guys!   Laughing

GREAT! That means we are doing our job!

You are indeed!

After doing elliptical last night I managed to ride 15Km on my mountain bike before there was a storm.  Power failed for most of the night after that.  It was so windy!!

This morning I swam 1,600m doing different drills including kick.  I pushed myself to swim in 100's this time.  The breathing tips you gave us helped out.  I observed my breathing, and I know I need to exhale faster so that I have more time to breathe in.  I don't quite have it yet.  Need practice.  Could not breath keeping one eye in the water.  I swallowed quite a bit of water when I tried that!!  But 1,600m was a new record for me, so I feel pleased. 

I hope you all have a great Sunday!    Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-04-17 4:36 PM

2011-04-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3451215

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

pyroman1_1 - 2011-04-17 2:35 PM I would totally do a Warrior Dash. We actually have a group of firemen going to Florence to do the one at the end of this month. By the time I found out and went to sign up, it was too late to get in their wave . I decided to wait and do it next year. Besided I'm not sure how I would look in a miniskirtEmbarassed. That was what they were talking about wearing for the dash.

A Warrior Dash sounds great!!  I'd just love to participate in one of those!  But I think that seeing a bunch of firemen competing in miniskirts would be a bit distracting.  Nice strategy!  LOL

Edited by itziaol 2011-04-17 3:28 PM
2011-04-17 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3451207

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-04-17 3:23 PM

Curt inspired me by having such good workouts! I had a hill repeat run workout and I just kept thinking positive thoughts about it and I did good I'm not a good hill runner but I just maintained a nice steady pace and was able to do all my hill repeats. I love this group and the motivation it gives me. Plus I love the fact that I can own up to skipping a workout last week because by saying it out loud it helped me regroup and buck up. Workout done for the day and this afternoon I get a massage to work out the knots. Good Sunday!

OooooOOOOooooh! Enjoy that massage!!!!

2011-04-17 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Itzia-nice job with your swim!! 100s can be SO difficult to push through.  

Breathing with one eye underwater can be difficult because you have to learn how to tilt your chin enough to get a good breath.  Confession... when I breathe I make a face like Popeye when he's smoking his pipe! So, I pinch together the side of my mouth that's underwater  so that I have a smaller space to breathe through above water. It takes a LOT of practice, but it helps the body stay level ------ rather than not.

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2011-04-17 3:39 PM
2011-04-17 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3450961

Kate-

I'm also doing the the warrior dash-in July. I can't wait!

I am planning on doing Warrior Dash in October--it does look a bit scary, but also like a lot of fun!

2011-04-17 4:24 PM

Had a couple good runs this weekend. Today I was battling the wind. Talk about a good work out. Did 5 miles at a 11:30 pace, into sometimes 40mph/hr winds. It's been a really weird spring around here. It was actually snowing today too. Got to love Michigan. Did my bike workouts inside.

Goals for the week-

2 days swim-work on swimming longer without stopping. Think I'm going to a class on wed. it's a tri-masters class hoping to get a little more help on swimming.

4 days bike/one long ride 10-12 miles.

3-4 days run/one long run between 4-5 miles.

1 day yoga-really need to loosen up these muscles.

I hope everyone has a great week and I really enjoyed reading all the posts about races and workouts.

Tracie

2011-04-17 6:03 PM

New user

Harrisonburg

I would like to join this mentoring program.  I have competed in 3 Sprint Tri's over the last 2 years.  I am currently training for a Sprint in May and an Olympic in July.  My goal is to compete in Sept. in a 1/2 IronMan with my sights on an IronMan next year.  I have a personal trainer for weight training 2 days/week.  I am following a training program but have trouble understanding the swimming workouts.  I was never a competitive swimmer but was a Lifeguard, Lifeguard Instructor and Swimming instructor during my high school and college years, so I am a strong swimmer.  I am currently battling a "swimmer's shoulder" which I believe is due to high mileage and unilateral breathing.  HELP!  I know I need to do more than just swim high mileage laps, but I have a hard time understanding the workouts.

Thanks!

Karla Pope

2011-04-17 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3451173

Extreme Veteran

WCG - I am working towards it don't worry. I've already told BFF's Mum that I'll be doing my own race and meeting her at the finish line - she could probably keep up with me but will be walking with 1-2 4 year olds on the day. As to the 5.8 I had way better mileage last year but I had a "illness/lack of motivation" break in September-November so had to start all over again. My originaly goal mileage for the year (400 of which I have currently done just over 30) means I need 7.7 mpw or 9.9 mpw to get back on track. I'm hoping to eventually get to at least the first of those numbers within the next few months.

I've also possibly been talked in to another race (5k) in July so it'll be good to see whether I can hold a run/walk thing for the whole distance.

2011-04-17 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3451287

Extreme Veteran
Good luck with the goals Tracie.
2011-04-17 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Looks like congrats are in order for Sara -- she just passed 1000 posts!!

Got a round of golf in this afternoon.  Nothing like playing in a 25 mph wind.  Good news is that I played well / shot an 83.  If I could put / had a short game would be dangerous!  Time to do some work and get ready for the week. 

2011-04-17 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Oooh Tracie, let me know how it goes! I have a coworker who might also sign up with me....its only fitting, a bunch of zookeepers taking part in a crazy race like that (we're odd people! Laughing).

I had a great time volunteering at the triathlon this morning--I learned a whole mess of stuff and got really motivated to train more! So I came home changed  clothes and went to the gym and got my swim on. drills, laps, more drills....I wish I could say it feels like the swimming is coming together, but I'm still not feeling it. I'm thinking I will take part in my coach's 'master swim' class in Thurs.---its only $12. per class, and she has been trying to get me to go so I can get more 1 on 1 training.

After the swim I hit the Wii for usual Wii Fit and then some Wii Zumba, plus some ab work at the end...Trust me, it sounds like a lot more work than it truly is!

2011-04-17 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3451287

User image

Expert
San Jose
Twhittum - 2011-04-17 2:24 PM

Had a couple good runs this weekend. Today I was battling the wind. Talk about a good work out. Did 5 miles at a 11:30 pace, into sometimes 40mph/hr winds. It's been a really weird spring around here. It was actually snowing today too. Got to love Michigan. Did my bike workouts inside.

Goals for the week-

2 days swim-work on swimming longer without stopping. Think I'm going to a class on wed. it's a tri-masters class hoping to get a little more help on swimming.

4 days bike/one long ride 10-12 miles.

3-4 days run/one long run between 4-5 miles.

1 day yoga-really need to loosen up these muscles.

I hope everyone has a great week and I really enjoyed reading all the posts about races and workouts.

Tracie

The wind can be so hard to deal with but I figure it must be good for you, right? Great job running through it. Love your goals. It's like making a checklist and then you just have to check, check, check!

2011-04-17 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3451466

User image

Expert
San Jose
suzielea - 2011-04-17 5:27 PM

WCG - I am working towards it don't worry. I've already told BFF's Mum that I'll be doing my own race and meeting her at the finish line - she could probably keep up with me but will be walking with 1-2 4 year olds on the day. As to the 5.8 I had way better mileage last year but I had a "illness/lack of motivation" break in September-November so had to start all over again. My originaly goal mileage for the year (400 of which I have currently done just over 30) means I need 7.7 mpw or 9.9 mpw to get back on track. I'm hoping to eventually get to at least the first of those numbers within the next few months.

I've also possibly been talked in to another race (5k) in July so it'll be good to see whether I can hold a run/walk thing for the whole distance.

Always do your own race. You worked for it so enjoy it your way. 

Also, mileage is mileage in my book. You are out there working away and a LOT of people that haven't gone through the medical stuff you have are doing nothing so don't sell yourself short. You're inspiring!

2011-04-17 9:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
50andgettingfit - I know, I'm just trying to keep myslef motivated.
2011-04-18 1:08 AM

Extreme Veteran

9 minute walk (.36 miles) and 100 metres of swimming.

I was in the water for around 27 mins but not swimming the whole time. I had long rests to recover from the exertion (took less time as each lap progressed) and also had to make sure I didn't intefere with the other guy in my lane (I think he was aquajogging or something) and that the kids from the next lane didn't intefere with me.

I stopped twice on one lap but made the rest all the way including one where I had to veer around the kids because they were in my lane for some reason.

Next swim's goal - keep my face in the water and breath properly. I did the bubbles, side breathing the first few strokes (I think I maxxed on putting my face back in the water once) but I'm not used to having the goggles so kept just moving my head side to side so I was breathing from the side that my arm wasn't forward on.

I have no idea how long the actual laps took but I counted my strokes on the last lap and got 49 for 25m.

I've also set myself the goal of being able to do 8 laps of the outside pool (5om) by the time it opens in summer (Autumn here currently) as that meets with my current swimming goal of being able to do 400m non stop.

I'm also thinking of enrolling in lessons once I work out the financial situation. The adult classes are basically for all levels and the teachers work with the individual to meet their goals so I can learn the basics (more of a refresher) and develop some proper technique.

May go back to the pool on Wednesday but I'm not totally sure yet.

2011-04-18 6:04 AM
in reply to: #3451773

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
suzielea - 2011-04-18 1:08 AM

9 minute walk (.36 miles) and 100 metres of swimming.

I was in the water for around 27 mins but not swimming the whole time. I had long rests to recover from the exertion (took less time as each lap progressed) and also had to make sure I didn't intefere with the other guy in my lane (I think he was aquajogging or something) and that the kids from the next lane didn't intefere with me.

I stopped twice on one lap but made the rest all the way including one where I had to veer around the kids because they were in my lane for some reason.

Next swim's goal - keep my face in the water and breath properly. I did the bubbles, side breathing the first few strokes (I think I maxxed on putting my face back in the water once) but I'm not used to having the goggles so kept just moving my head side to side so I was breathing from the side that my arm wasn't forward on.

I have no idea how long the actual laps took but I counted my strokes on the last lap and got 49 for 25m.

I've also set myself the goal of being able to do 8 laps of the outside pool (5om) by the time it opens in summer (Autumn here currently) as that meets with my current swimming goal of being able to do 400m non stop.

I'm also thinking of enrolling in lessons once I work out the financial situation. The adult classes are basically for all levels and the teachers work with the individual to meet their goals so I can learn the basics (more of a refresher) and develop some proper technique.

Lessons would be a great thing for you once you get your matters sorted. When I first started, it was enormously helpful, and hopefully will be for you, too.

I like your goals, and I'm pulling for you to make them! Go Go Go!!

2011-04-18 6:30 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Goooooood  Mornin' everybody!

Big running day here in Boston - not for me but for the 27,000 folks running the Boston marathon. Assuming I get better soon, I'm thinking about maybe shooting to run it next year. Gotta have goals I guess

Weekend workouts (OK, Sunday, anyway) were good. I did a bike trainer Sunday  AM, then had a great swim lesson after. Worked on some stroke aspects which needed help (not crossing over, and proper form on the pull were the big 2). Did wonders for me, and it was just what I needed. Felt smooth and steady in the water, and even had my 100 time down under 1:30. Probably didn't help the cause that I went to the Red Sox game later in the day and stuffed my face w/ beer, and ball park food, but it was good

This AM I took what I learned yesterday and did nothing but 25 & 50 yard drills working on form. was GREAT, and I plan on doing this as a regualar part of all my workouts.

In foot news, I'm heading back to the ART therapy guy this morning for session #2. I've been feeling good since last Thursday, and hope that the progress keeps up. If I'm feeling OK in the Am tomorrow, I'm going to go for a short run after my bike session. Nothing like a brick to get Tuesday off to a good start!

Mike

Edited by Mike_D 2011-04-18 6:31 AM
2011-04-18 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3451514

User image

Master
Dunedin
Curt-it's good to know that swim/bike/run doesn't eat up your entire life.  Must be nice and relaxing to enjoy the world when you're not trying to whiz past it to get to a finish line!  Hope the wind dies down for your next round of golf.
2011-04-18 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3451773

User image

Master
Dunedin

Suzanne-I'm so happy/proud! You're doing an excellent job of creating goals and working towards them.  I whole heartedly believe in swim lessons for anyone at any level.  The more advanced you become the more important it is to find an experienced teacher.  Even for beginner lessons it is a good idea to get the background on who is teaching you.

For example, a local YMCA instructor was teaching his students to hold their breath as they swam and this is a no-no.  So, the point is to take their critiques into consideration to help you develop your stroke, but I think the best teaching aid is having someone videotape you so you can see yourself and then make adjustments to your stroke.

suzielea - 2011-04-18 2:08 AM

2011-04-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3451861

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike-I was feeling groggy and out of sorts this morning, but for some reason the good energy from your post was contagious.

This group has been wonderful-thank you everyone!

p.s. I completely forgot to post my uber beginner workout...I'll try to get that done today as it is a big. fat. REST DAY!

Mike_D - 2011-04-18 7:30 AM

Goooooood  Mornin' everybody!

Big running day here in Boston - not for me but for the 27,000 folks running the Boston marathon. Assuming I get better soon, I'm thinking about maybe shooting to run it next year. Gotta have goals I guess

Weekend workouts (OK, Sunday, anyway) were good. I did a bike trainer Sunday  AM, then had a great swim lesson after. Worked on some stroke aspects which needed help (not crossing over, and proper form on the pull were the big 2). Did wonders for me, and it was just what I needed. Felt smooth and steady in the water, and even had my 100 time down under 1:30. Probably didn't help the cause that I went to the Red Sox game later in the day and stuffed my face w/ beer, and ball park food, but it was good

This AM I took what I learned yesterday and did nothing but 25 & 50 yard drills working on form. was GREAT, and I plan on doing this as a regualar part of all my workouts.

In foot news, I'm heading back to the ART therapy guy this morning for session #2. I've been feeling good since last Thursday, and hope that the progress keeps up. If I'm feeling OK in the Am tomorrow, I'm going to go for a short run after my bike session. Nothing like a brick to get Tuesday off to a good start!

Mike

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72