BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-05-02 11:25 PM
in reply to: #3478939

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-03 12:37 PM

So my bike question is this...

I go into LBS looking at entry level tri bikes (Under $800ish).  All the shops tell me to look at entry level road bikes.  I don't think to ask why but in googling it it appears that newbies are faster on road bikes than tri bikes?????  I'm not a total newbie- 3 sprints done- but my bike is junk and I need to upgrade to get serious about racing.

Thoughts?

Grace, if you read my answers above to Crystal, that might shed a little more light on your dilemma. Here are my thoughts. If you are strapped for money, you can get so much more great road bike for less money than you can a tri bike, and then if you want, throw in a little extra for aerobars and ff seat post (since you would need the fitting and clipless/shoes regardless). This essentially changes your road bike into a tri bike.

Until you get into some serious mileage, and I'm talking about years of long-course training, it's going to make little difference whether you're on a road bike converted to tri geometry, or an outright tri bike.

For some people, it doesn't make that much of a difference even then. Tri bikes don't magically make anybody faster, and their specific handling takes some getting used to.

2011-05-02 11:35 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Hey all - realized I never introduced myself, so I figured I would at this late date and before I commented too much on the bike stuff. Real name is John Reed and I'm a mechanical engineer currently working as the quality manager for Goodrich Aerospace in Colorado Springs

I've always been active - swam a lot as a child (ows each summer in Ohio at a local hole - could do a mile or more kind of easily) and I rode my bike -a lot. I raced bikes as a hobby after college for a few years, but stopped to have children. Longest ride in a day is near 150 miles, and 210 over 2 days. Started to play more racquetball and was good enough to be sponsored, but not paid. Managed to be top 10 in my age/rank category, but did lose at the nationals. Divorced in 05 and lost motivation for everything.

Now a single father to three girls (15, 13, and 10) and loving it. I ran a 5k last summer on a whim and have not looked back. Signed up and did my first tri (oly length) in September and now I have 6 on my scheule this year - 2 sprints, 3 oly (including escape from Alcatraz), and 1 HIM. I will also do several running races as training or fun - including the warrior dash later this summer.

I read everything I can on stuff that I decide to do, so I will probably chime in a lot if I have first hand experience or lived it. I have no problem with disagreements and I recognize different people are motivated by or like different things. If you disagree or see something differently - please say so since that is how we will all learn.

Edited by mackjenn 2011-05-03 8:12 AM
2011-05-02 11:50 PM
in reply to: #3478993

User image

Melon Presser

mackjenn - 2011-05-03 1:35 PM I have no problem with disagreements and I recognize different people are motivated by or like different things. If you disagree or see something differently - please say so since that is how we will all learn.

{MELON PRESS} and thanks for introducing yourself to the latest crop of Manatees ...

and hear hear on the differences. What works well for some may not for others; what has worked well in the past for most athletes may have changed based on new experiences, evidence or technology.

Lynn and I are no exception. Both of us have been enlightened by new information and have changed our minds or practices, or given something different a try, based on that.

This is why I say we are all Manatees.

2011-05-03 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3478979

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Teddie - a teaser for your trip - attached is a current pic of Pikes Peak from the parking lot at work.

(Pikes Peak.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Pikes Peak.JPG (46KB - 13 downloads)
2011-05-03 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

SCAR comparison time.  Forgot my bodyglide (did not think about it) last weekend and swimming with my head up more than usual caused this nice little mark.

(Wet Suit Battle scar.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Wet Suit Battle scar.JPG (51KB - 6 downloads)
2011-05-03 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

On Bikes:  I'd recommend having a nice road bike before investing in a tri bike.  Think about what kind of riding you will be doing mostly - not down in areobar position.  Want to go ride with friends or a tour - you don't want to only have a tri bike since they are not for riding in a group.  Get a nice road bike before you get a tri bike.

Also try to get one at a LBS if at all possible.  You do want to test ride it and you also want to start knowing the local guys.  As they get to know you, they will be more willing to give discounts or lessons on bike maintenance / repair.  Only YOU know what the next bike should be based on your past bike and $ abilities.  A $400 bike may be perfect for your situation, or maybe it is a $4000 bike.

Crystal - I did not see anything really wrong with the proposed bike - a nice entry level bike but something you may want to upgrade in a year or two if you continue down your path.  I would not buy it, but I'm at a different spot than you are.  Don't put more than you can really afford into a bike - never know if it will be an expensive dust holder.  Also - stick with a known name since it helps with resale at upgrade time.

Print out the flyer / add and take it to the local shop (or two or more).  See what they offer in the same price range and what they might be willing to do to sweeten the deal.  Now is the time to be looking as stores are trying to dump the '10 models and people are selling their old bikes (check the bulletin boards at the LBS).  Try to get a test ride in on several bikes to find what you like / don't like.  Then buy.

And yea - you need shoes and clipless pedals, but you don't need the top of the line.  Just look for the float Yanti talked about and you will be fine.  Also don't worry about tri specific shoes, just try to get road type shoes.

2011-05-03 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3478475

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
crystalashworth - 2011-05-02 5:00 PM

And just to make you all smile -- Here's a picture of me on the left when I was a baby - with my mom and my grandpa (dad's dad).  And on the right is a picture of my son AJ taken this past weekend.

Does he look like his momma or what? 

Very cute!!!

2011-05-03 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3478939

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-02 9:37 PM

So my bike question is this...

I go into LBS looking at entry level tri bikes (Under $800ish).  All the shops tell me to look at entry level road bikes.  I don't think to ask why but in googling it it appears that newbies are faster on road bikes than tri bikes?????  I'm not a total newbie- 3 sprints done- but my bike is junk and I need to upgrade to get serious about racing.

Thoughts?

Lots on this so far and all spot on, but I'll be direct and say "get a road bike". If your current bike is bad, you won't be riding it after the purchase, and if your only bike is a tri bike, you are limited to that type of riding.  Not as nice to take a long tour or group ride, or do hill repeats (any climbing) on a tri bike.  If your current bike is OK just bad for racing (mountain bike), still need a good road bike before considering a tri bike.

I had a nice road bike and I just bought another nicer road bike with an aero frame (carbon fiber - mmmm).  Road bikes climb and handle better for almost all conditions.  Tri bikes are build for 1 thing - down and out speed in a straight line.  I expect that if I had a true and full tri bike, I could eek out another .2-.5 mph on a very hard ride; however, I like mooing at the cows and talking to other people's faces in group rides - not elbows (if you are permitted to ride in a group - tri bike is dangerous in a draft line).

Basics come first - clipless pedals, road shoes are a must (if you do't have them, get them).  After that, tri bars on a road bike - seat forward and up some.  I prefer this and will race all season like this - including HIM and maybe IM next year.

Finally, think about your running where $$ is not as big of an issue.  Do you have training shoes and then racing flats (super light weight, low cushioning)?  Do you train in racing flats - probablly not.  Havng a road bike and tri bike would be like this.  I race and train in the same type of shoe - middle of the road and good, but not the best, for either situation.

2011-05-03 11:45 AM

Hello All,

Wow you were all busy yesterday. I checked in early in the day and thought I caught up, but when I came back this morning...  lots to catch up on.

Ouch on the battle scars. They look painful. When I bought my new bike a few weeks ago and shoes etc. The guy told me there is always a kodak moment when you get the shoes first. So Far so good, this has not happened and I will try to keep it that way.

Does the chafing gel really work on scars like the neck scar. I haven't used it yet but I see it everywhere. And since I am just doing a sprint I was wondering if I need it.

Crystal your baby is adorable.

On the new bike issue. I just bought a road bike, "LEXA S" it was $850. This is an entry level road bike.  They make a model called a "LEXA" which is about $650. According to my LBS the difference is that if I want to I can up-grade this bike in the future if necessary by adding parts. So I could raise the level of the bike. But With the Lexa it is what it is, I could replace parts as necessary but not upgrade.

I live on the East Coast so I'm not sure how these prices compare to where you are. Shoes & pedals  together were anywhere from $120 and up. I was advised to go right to the shoes and pedals and bypass the clips too. I don't think it was for the bonus purchase but the LBS said if I was going to do it, it was easier to do it all together.

My husband is pretty handy and even he said he would defer to the LBS on putting the bike together if I had bought online. I did consider it.

The best part about a LBS is the fitting and the service.  Most also offer a year of service with a new bike, that in itself was worth it for me because I know very little about maintaining the bike. With an online purchase you miss out on that. With the fitting I was told to watch out for any recurring issues as opposed to the normal tiredness and soreness after a ride.

Happy Tri-als to you all.

Grainne

2011-05-03 12:25 PM

User image

Hi all,

I realized I havent check in for a while.  I'm still around but haven't got much to add.  My training is going well although my schedule permits workouts 4x a week.  I try to get as much out of those workouts as I can. 

I would love to look into getting a new bike so I am taking in all the comments that people are posting.  At this point, I am not financially able to buy a new bike.  I plan getting a tune up and some repair work done on it before the race that I am going to do in June. 

Hope everyone is doing well!  Keep up all the great conversation and training.  You guys inspire me everyday Smile

2011-05-03 12:35 PM

User image

Melon Presser

To quote dear Lance (whatever your opinion of him may be): "It's not about the bike."

The more training you do on a POS bike, the more amazing you'll wind up being on, and being grateful for, and then riding even more, a decent bike.

2011-05-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3478425

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
mackjenn - 2011-05-02 4:07 PM
Hollz - 2011-05-02 3:50 PM
TriAya - 2011-05-02 1:40 PM
mackjenn - 2011-05-03 12:25 AM

mackjenn - 2011-05-01 12:29 PM More later when I get to a pc, but omg - 1800 yards in 51F water this am. Holy cow - that is cold.

i don't care who you are, cold kicks your azz in the water and 51 is a serious case of you HTFU'ed ... GREAT JOB!!!

Holy wow! that is too cold. Way to go-you're DA MAN!

Holly - Golden is not that far from Grant Ranch - why not go down for a swim?  I actually enjoyed the learning experience and may go do it again this Sunday (but will drive up from Pueblo in the AM).  If nice, might be good for me to take the other bike out for a spin and save on gas.

http://www.milehighmultisport.com/open-water-swimming/about/

Now this sounds like a really good plan to do this at least once this month before the boulder tri June 4th. I didn't know about the grant ranch program-I'm interested...I have an old shorty wetsuit that I have to make a decision about replacing and need to suck it up and get in the *frigid* open water. You're going on Sunday? It's mothers day so not certain about this weekend.

2011-05-03 9:27 PM

Thanks for all the bike input...

On another subject... I have a local tri coach but I'm doubting his advice on this one subject...

My A race of the year (and possibly final race of the year) is June 5th.  There are two small sprint tris May 7th and May 14th.  I was going to do them both to try some variables out- i.e. eat before hand, transition issues, etc.  They are not even B races to me, but I am also definately not the kind of person that can hold back in a race.  I will not be able to help myself.  Even on hard training days, I go all out.  I will give everything I have in both of those races, I just know myself.  My coach says no to the race on the 14th and do it but hold back to the race on the 7th.  They are both spints, as it my A race.  I just can't believe that a race a month or three week before would negatively impact my big race.  I would figure it would be great training.  He says "The more you hold back, the more you'll have for your A race."

Thoughts?

2011-05-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3480861

User image

Melon Presser
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-04 11:27 AM

On another subject... I have a local tri coach but I'm doubting his advice on this one subject...

My A race of the year (and possibly final race of the year) is June 5th.  There are two small sprint tris May 7th and May 14th.  I was going to do them both to try some variables out- i.e. eat before hand, transition issues, etc.  They are not even B races to me, but I am also definately not the kind of person that can hold back in a race.  I will not be able to help myself.  Even on hard training days, I go all out.  I will give everything I have in both of those races, I just know myself.  My coach says no to the race on the 14th and do it but hold back to the race on the 7th.  They are both spints, as it my A race.  I just can't believe that a race a month or three week before would negatively impact my big race.  I would figure it would be great training.  He says "The more you hold back, the more you'll have for your A race."

Thoughts?

I know you're a fairly experienced triathlete and have put some really solid training in this season ... what's your typical training week been like, and for how long?

2011-05-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3481411

TriAya - 2011-05-04 10:12 AM

Thoughts?

I know you're a fairly experienced triathlete and have put some really solid training in this season ... what's your typical training week been like, and for how long?

Typical Training (this week)

Sun- run 30 min, bike 75 min, open water swim 15.  Hard

Mon- off

Tues- bike intervals 60 min, run intervals 60 min.  Hard.

Wed- spin class, swim intervals 45 min.

Thurs- group ride- 75 min (some weeks throw in a pilates class this day), weights

Friday- open water group swim- 30 minutes

Saturday- sprint race- (B) (if not a race, then weights and something else- depending on mood)

My A race of the season is 3

2011-05-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3481716

User image

Melon Presser
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-05 1:28 AM

Thoughts?

Mon- off

Thurs- group ride- 75 min (some weeks throw in a pilates class this day), weights

Saturday- sprint race- (B) (if not a race, then weights and something else- depending on mood)

Good detail on the info, thanks. (Start logging ... we like to come by and say nice things about your training). For how many months have you been training like this and/or building up to it?

How long are the May sprints, and what are the courses like?

2011-05-04 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Well, I had big plans today.  I was going to go swim for two hours instead of taking my recovery day.  As I've mentioned, the swim is making me nervous!  This was the first time I was going to skip a recovery day.  But, instead I spent the day at the doctor's office with my 6 y/o who broke her arm.    She is actually pretty excited about the whole thing, because she is sporting a pink cast.  
2011-05-04 7:07 PM

, North Carolina

What are your thoughts on acupuncture?  But first a little history.....

10 years ago after my 2nd knee surgery I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) which at first was thought to be Lyme's Disease.  I go back and forth about weather I believe that I actually have RA or not, but with my weird joint issues, a family history, and the presence of the gene in my DNA it's probable.  EIther way I have what I could call mild chronic joint pain/soreness.  The pain seems to move from one joint to another every year or so.  For a long time it was my left wrist (which resulted in surgery in college) then came my right ankle for about a year and now my right big toe joint had been sore, stiff, and painful for over a year.  It always feels the need to crack, has limited range of motion (flexion) and is sore right in the joint and is painful when massaged or pulled.

I have made an appointment with an acupuncturist on monday and I am wondering if any of you have experience with acupuncture.  What are you thoughts???

2011-05-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3479824

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Grainne Wynne - 2011-05-03 12:45 PM

Does the chafing gel really work on scars like the neck scar. I haven't used it yet but I see it everywhere. And since I am just doing a sprint I was wondering if I need it.

YES!!! do not forgo this.  Get body glide and apply it anywhere there's contact between tri suit and skin including neck, armpits and the zippers.  I forgot to apply it under the zipper of my tri suit for my HIM and I finished with a spot that looked like I had had a tracheotomy.  It was nasty and it hurt like hell!!

2011-05-04 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3482386

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

lounav - 2011-05-04 5:49 PM Well, I had big plans today.  I was going to go swim for two hours instead of taking my recovery day.  As I've mentioned, the swim is making me nervous!  This was the first time I was going to skip a recovery day.  But, instead I spent the day at the doctor's office with my 6 y/o who broke her arm.    She is actually pretty excited about the whole thing, because she is sporting a pink cast.  

I'm so sorry! I hope she recovers quickly.  I'm sure she'd love having her girlfriends draw/paint/put stickers on it

2011-05-04 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3482386

lounav - 2011-05-04 5:49 PM Well, I had big plans today.  I was going to go swim for two hours instead of taking my recovery day.  As I've mentioned, the swim is making me nervous!  This was the first time I was going to skip a recovery day.  But, instead I spent the day at the doctor's office with my 6 y/o who broke her arm.    She is actually pretty excited about the whole thing, because she is sporting a pink cast.  

Two hour swim!  Wow, that's impressive.

2011-05-04 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3481739

TriAya - 2011-05-04 12:38 PM

Thoughts?

Mon- off

Good detail on the info, thanks. (Start logging ... we like to come by and say nice things about your training). For how many months have you been training like this and/or building up to it?

I always train 5 hours a week.  Feb 1 I up it to 10 hours a week.  April 1 I up it to 14 hours a week.  Then June 6th I take the rest of the summer off.

Both sprints are 1/4, 12, 3- totally flat, no hills here in SW Florida.

2011-05-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3482593

User image

What are your thoughts on acupuncture?  

I had acupuncture on my lower back, hip, and wrist for pregnancy related issues.  It really helped me with joint pain and controlling inflammation.  I noticed a difference in a few sessions.  I would totally recommend it.  Have you considered looking into chiropractic care?  That has helped me alot because I have a scoliosis which affects my back and alignment of all my joints.  I know my issues are unrelated to yours but just something to consider.  I also rely alot upon on therapeutic massage.  it really helps with improving range of motion and swelling.

Just some ideas....

Edited by christina322 2011-05-05 10:18 AM
2011-05-05 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3482726

User image

Melon Presser
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-05 10:36 AM
TriAya - 2011-05-04 12:38 PM

Thoughts?

Mon- off

I always train 5 hours a week.  Feb 1 I up it to 10 hours a week.  April 1 I up it to 14 hours a week.  Then June 6th I take the rest of the summer off.

Both sprints are 1/4, 12, 3- totally flat, no hills here in SW Florida.

I think you're ready to do a half-Ironman. LOL

Keeping in mind that I generally err on the side of GO FOR IT in most "should I do this" questions, and that your coach may know things about you that I don't (are you currently experiencing any signs of overtraining? do you know what they are?), I think three weeks is plenty of time to recover should you manage to screw your body up by putting on the heat in the first two sprint tris.

The way I see it, you're more than prepared for Sprint 1. What you do in Sprint 1 and how you recover might wind up self-correcting any over-enthusiasm you have in Sprint 2. And unless you go so hard that you create and then push through an injury during those sprints, yes, they'll actually be good training for your A race.

Personally, I also don't see a problem with pushing yourself on hard training days, provided it doesn't affect your next workouts, and that you also are a perfectionist about going moderate and easy on those training days.

2011-05-05 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3482593

User image

Melon Presser
haley913 - 2011-05-05 9:07 AM

What are your thoughts on acupuncture?  But first a little history.....

10 years ago after my 2nd knee surgery I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) which at first was thought to be Lyme's Disease.  I go back and forth about weather I believe that I actually have RA or not, but with my weird joint issues, a family history, and the presence of the gene in my DNA it's probable.  EIther way I have what I could call mild chronic joint pain/soreness.  The pain seems to move from one joint to another every year or so.  For a long time it was my left wrist (which resulted in surgery in college) then came my right ankle for about a year and now my right big toe joint had been sore, stiff, and painful for over a year.  It always feels the need to crack, has limited range of motion (flexion) and is sore right in the joint and is painful when massaged or pulled.

I have made an appointment with an acupuncturist on monday and I am wondering if any of you have experience with acupuncture.  What are you thoughts???

Acupuncture has, well, a millenia-old history of effectiveness, and in the last few decades a lot of empirical research in both West and East has confirmed that. By now, it's pretty much mainstream, although depending on the ailment not usually the first-line treatment.

As with most medicine, much of it depends on the practitioner. Not sure what NC's licensing laws are for acupuncturists or TCM (traditional Chinese medicine), but you're probably in good hands.

I'm glad you mentioned it because for a number of reasons I could probably really benefit from it right about now, too.

Growing up and now living in a country with a huge Chinese minority population, acupuncture is as common as aspirin here and always has been. I can't think of anyone I know who HASN'T had it and benefited from it (to varying degrees, but on the other hand, not a soul I know has ever been harmed by it).

Personally, I had a TCM practitioner diagnose the cause of and use acupuncture to treat chronic migraines to which I had already lost two years of my life (I literally spent most of two years lying in a quiet, dark room, praying for a miracle or an end ... that is, when I wasn't in doctor's offices, clinics, and hospitals). Burned through my insurance and an additional $150,000.

Few hundred bucks of this guy and a few weeks later, I was brand spankin' new, and went back to college, work, and sport fighting with great vigor.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43