BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-10 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3983057

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
cherifortin - 2012-01-10 9:36 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-10 11:29 AM

OK everyone, I finally got around to making a list of the group! Vacation really kicked me in the butt, and I'm supposed to be cleaning out my basement today so naturally I am wasting time on here! Actually it's not wasted time as I am using those monster posts I wrote this morning on my blog!!! Multi tasking...

Anyway, you should be able to cut and paste this into the intro section on your blog and then it's super easy to click on your mentor-mates blog link and give them some inspiration and encouragement on their logs!!!

Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies

Shelly-FitMomma2010

Cheri-CheriFortin

Ted-Sammeg

Tom-TLkatos1259

Michel-Michel.Sutton

Wendy-Emmrald

Matt-mjh1975

Mark-ChicagoMan65

Jacki-DaDooRunRun

Sean-sma777

Yvonne-Ybeal

Kent-kentkillsit

Peter-peterflagg

Lauren-lmo123

Mark-mrkwhittaker

Todd-trei

Dave-oriolepwr

Quincy-quincyf

Awesome!  Thank you!  Like the list!

YES  we need that list!

2012-01-10 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3983138

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
oriolepwr - 2012-01-10 10:30 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-10 11:55 AM

Run:

Since I didn't cover extras in the bag/towel portion, I'll add those in here...

Shoes:  You need comfortable, well fitting running shoes. If you're new to running I highly recommend going to a running shop and trying on a bunch of stuff. Once you pick a pair and decide they are your running shoes, you can simply reorder them in your size. My husband orders Mizuno wave creations in his size, sometimes two or three at a time and just hangs onto them until he needs them. He waits until the end of the season and then buys last year's models at a discount. If you're starting out your running career by walking, walk in the shoes you intend to run in. Each shoe can be a little different and the last thing you want to do is start running in a pair you have never worn before...if you do this, start out with some short, easy runs to make sure they don't give you any surprise aches and pains. I put yankz on all of mine for most every distance except marathon...I tend to go back to laces for that long of a run. This is purely personal preference. Although my DH (lace only guy) has never beat me in a T2...it's all part of the race you know...

www.runningwarehouse.com  once you do know the shoes you really need, is like the cheapest source in my opinion.   Again you will probably end up with tons of shoes you tried and then found were not the best for you, in a closet somewhere.   True you probably will not end up with a closet solely for your running shoes,  like I do.  (what...  think I'm kidding?)   but shoes are fun!   oh and Yankz are the "bomb"   Seriously do not know why laces are still used versus system like Yankz.  

I've seen his closet...it's awesome! I have also used roadrunnersports.com...they have a vip program which can be a good deal...but with amazon and such it might not be worth it.

Socks: if you can stand it, you can try running sockless, but honestly, this is one of those things that can wait. I LOVE those fabulous microfiber running socks...I ran in those stupid cotton ones for years and switched when I started going longer than an hour...they seriously changed my running life!!! The only time I would consider skipping socks is in a sprint tri, but that's because the run is so short, and it's the only distance I am competitive at.

Socks also absorb some road shock/impact!!!   Socks are like shoes.  you will go through a bunch trying out what works best for you.   Microfiber socks are great!    Everything out to be made out of tech material.   Guys.  Seriously not kidding here,  if you are in cotton underwear.  spend the $$ and get some underarmour  tech underwear.  OMG!  soooooooo much better.  

Girls, that goes for you too. I know I said no undies, but for running/working out (i.e. not on the bike) UA is simply the best. And this is reflected in the price. But I lurve them for running. Another life changing piece of gear. 

Hat: I love a visor...headsweats does a one piece elastic band so you can throw it on while you are running. But this is pure preference, maybe you don't even want a hat. 

Its a good idea to have a visor or hat with that soaks up sweat to keep it from getting in your eyes.   Also helps in rain, cold  soooo everyone is different  but what is not to like???  ok I'm a hat guy....  (and come from a line of hat manufacturers sooooo)

Plus...Bragging Rights if you have a hat from a previous race. Hello, vanity, is that you???

Glasses: I buy cheap ones at Target...they get beat up after a season. I am considering a pair of prescription glasses for the bike, but not necessary. I would not skip these though...protect your eyes.

I loves me my Oakleys    worth the $$$$

Oh, curse you. Do you have a script? What about Rudy Project. Ugh, this is an area I am NOT comfortable in...

Shorts: I like tri shorts with a super minimal chamois. No underwear...if you don't believe me, try riding your bike with underwear on. They come in different lengths and compression.

They also last like forever!!!!!!!   so yes get some tri shorts!   great value

Top:  Let's just go with this: whatever you wear, make sure you can just wear it for the swim, bike, and run. No need to make transition more complex than necessary. I like tri tops because they have a little pocket in the back for a gu, but you can wear any jog bra/top combo you like. Men can go shirtless and then put a top on, but I recommend a tri top for the boys too...just remember that if you are wearing a tri top, you need to just swim in it. NO way you are going to get that thing on in T1.

Guys  you do not need a tri top  but yes they are great cause you can swim in it and they have the pockets etc.   And I can tell you Q is spot on.  I did the change in to shirt thing a bunch of times in sprint tri's   NOT EASY when yo are wet.

I so love being spot on. Seriously, go for a swim or take a shower and then try to put a snug fitting shirt on. Now exert yourself at a race pace (or go ahead and go into a full swim panic) and then try to DO anything, much less wrangle a lycra top on...notta gonna happen...

Trisuit: I tried one last year but went back to shorts/top. Too hard to pee/poop. Comfy though. Skip it until you have raced long enough to have an opinion.

I like the tri suits  actually.   But again tough to size.

Race belt: These are great...you just slap it on before the bike and spin the number to your back. Then on the run, spin it to the front. Otherwise you end up pinning it to your top and swimming in it. Probably the cheapest and most useful piece of gear you will ever buy. Some of them come with a little key pouch and little holes to put gu's in. I have 3 or 4 of them.

yes!  spibelts   (google that

Watch/HRM: I have raced without a watch numerous times...in fact I don't know if I've ever timed myself correctly thru start to finish. These are FAR more useful for 1. Getting yourself to the race on time and 2. Training for the race. I race by RPE mostly so even a HRM is just a cross check. If you are going to try a HRM, that's fine, but unless you are like Shelly and NEED to know something, there is no reason to try to use one for your first race. I think my head would have exploded with that much info on my first race. Plus if you are going to use one, you need info which means you need some sort of threshold test and then train with it. Skip it for now. Seriously, you can even skip the watch. If you do use one, and know how to use the lap function, you can hit the lap function every time you cross a timing mat and have a pretty accurate timing record of your race. Not necessary tho...

Nutrition: for a sprint, you'll probably go a bit longer than an hour, so you could justify doing a gu at around an hour into the race. You don't need any more than that and eating more than that could make you sick. Only eat something you have eaten before (these things can wreak havoc on your gut and everyone reacts differently to these...for instance I cannot do gu roctane or clif bloks...ymmv). If you think you can pull it off, the end of the bike is a good time to eat, if not in T1 or at the beginning of the run. But just to be clear, you can do a sprint with NOTHING.

YES you don't need any nutrition in a sprint.     Its a good idea though to start trying and getting used to GU  in training.  (the best product for me are powerbar gel blasts-when i have somewhere to put them 

Sunscreen: super waterproof:  wear it, reapply if you need to.

OK, what did I miss? 

2012-01-11 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3983161

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Good Morning Tour-

Yesterday I slammed you with "all you need to know about tri in three posts."

I'd like to draw everyone back into the discussion today, so jump in and lets pick a topic to talk about.

What do you want to know? 

2012-01-11 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3942395

Rochester
I guess I have a couple of things I want to know about. First is food. I have been following an adapted version of wheat belly diet, it is a little like Paleo diet I think. My concern is should I start to eat more one I get the all clear to run again, yet I want to still lose weight. The more difficult part here is that I am a type 2 diabetic so I want to not spike my glucose levels. Secondly, what about different sports drink/gu and that type of stuff when we train long and hard.
2012-01-11 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3982998

User image

Veteran

ACTUALLY, I think this was perfect.  Very well thought out and topic differentiated. 

Quincy, NICE JOB! 

My question, running shoe recommendation?  Does anyone run with orthotics? or inserts?  If so, any brand?

Tom

2012-01-11 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3981189

User image

Veteran
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-10 12:26 AM
kentkillsit - 2012-01-09 11:00 PM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-10 6:14 PM
kentkillsit - 2012-01-07 8:06 PM

Kent,

It's all about the little choices. Sounds like you did great on vacation.

My prediction is that you'll love it.  I got the Garmin Forerunner 405.  I'm still figuring it out, but I got the silver membership here at BT and it just magically drops my workouts into my training log.  I did a strength/conditioning workout today and didn't use it, but my DW pointed out that it's not quite so cool on the treadmill, where its GPS uses are, well, worthless.  But I've got it set up for heart zones, too, (have to order the heart monitor separately, but we did and I'm glad we did) so that's a way to use it on the treadmill.  Either way, there's a Garmin site that also has a place to record info.  So - with regard to extrinsic incentives, that's cool, too.  I can double-dip and get more mileage out of my mileage. 

Also - just saying this - this is one heck of an expensive athletic pursuit.  I mean, once you start taking it seriously, all the costs start rearing their heads.  I'm having to piece everything together because getting all the gear at once is prohibitive.  I could have never done this sport in my 20's!  Any suggestions from anyone on online sites or stores that have worthy discounts?  Wetsuit?  Tri-suit?  Swim gear?  Cycling apparel?  

-Kent

I hear you on the expenses. I just keep looking it as an investment in my health. I have bought a little at a time and shopped around for everything. www.sportsbasement.com is an excellent site to get decent deals. Some others are bonktown, REI, Sierratrading post, trisports, all3sports and amazon. I also look at alternatives to save money. My gear bag is one of my kids old school backpacks. It actually works awesome. I also have bought athletic wear from JCPenney that I used as a tri top in my last trialthlon and it worked awesome. I liked it better than my Pearl Izumi tri top that I used in my first triathlon. Now I am only doing sprint distances so don't know if that affects things or not.  And I ask for tri stuff for all birthday, Mother's day, anniversary, christmas gifts etc.

Lots of items though are wants and not necessities. You really only need a bike, helmet, running shoes and something to swim in ( goggles included). The rest is all luxuries that help- lol.

I too think I'm going to love my Garmin. And I have also gotten very good at justifying my wants- haha. I mean I had to have a good hrm because of my heart damage- so that's a necessity not a want- right ;-).

Shelly

Shelly, Now I know there are 2 of us with heart issues.  I was born with a congenital heart defect.  My cardiologist things this tri thing is great and my heart has gotten stronger.  I am glad I have a HRM.

Keep it up.

Tom

2012-01-11 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3983810

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-11 9:51 AM

ACTUALLY, I think this was perfect.  Very well thought out and topic differentiated. 

Quincy, NICE JOB! 

My question, running shoe recommendation?  Does anyone run with orthotics? or inserts?  If so, any brand?

Tom

Tom I do run with custom orthotis i got from my podiatrist. I am an "over pronator" I used to use over the counter orthotics made by a company called lynco. Do you currently use orthotics? What are they correcting for? Running shoes are classified by the type of support they provide. Neutral StabilityMotion controlIdeally if you use an orthotic its best to use them ina neutral shoe versus say a stability shoe as the stabilty shoe already tries to correct issues. So this would end up confusing the matter more. I will get into thsi question miore after you reply with if you already use orthotics or not.When you look on line at roadrunnersports or runningwarehouse They will show the different shoe types and which falls into each catagory. Since you are a new runner, and a big guy, i would say something like asics kayano (stability) would be a good choice. (i also use this for training and for marathons)
2012-01-11 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3983712

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

peterflagg - 2012-01-11 9:11 AM I guess I have a couple of things I want to know about. First is food. I have been following an adapted version of wheat belly diet, it is a little like Paleo diet I think. My concern is should I start to eat more one I get the all clear to run again, yet I want to still lose weight. The more difficult part here is that I am a type 2 diabetic so I want to not spike my glucose levels. Secondly, what about different sports drink/gu and that type of stuff when we train long and hard.

Ok, that is a two part question...

For the first part, I am going to punt a bit. Since you have a health issue (which will probably be somewhat resolved if you pursue endurance sports seriously) I strongly suggest you speak to your doctor and request a referral to a nutritionist (if you haven't already). That is where I personally would start.

AFA the wheat belly diet, I don't know anything about it but I do know that no matter what diet I follow, if I am eating calorie dense, nutrient rich foods, I end up pretty much with a Paleo-esque intake. So lots of lean meats, veggies, whole grains and whole, unprocessed foods as possible with little junk is healthy for an athlete because it is healthy for a human. You must not try to restrict carbs too severely, but the carbs you eat should be pristine. Fruit, veggies, whole grains.

You might be tempted to eat more, we all are in training, but as much as possible, try not to overcompensate. For instance if you need to eat more than you had planned in a day, try to have the added calories in the form of fruit and veggies.

Please save this post and email it to me in a month when I start training!

2012-01-11 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

peterflagg - 2012-01-11 9:11 AM I guess I have a couple of things I want to know about. First is food. I have been following an adapted version of wheat belly diet, it is a little like Paleo diet I think. My concern is should I start to eat more one I get the all clear to run again, yet I want to still lose weight. The more difficult part here is that I am a type 2 diabetic so I want to not spike my glucose levels. Secondly, what about different sports drink/gu and that type of stuff when we train long and hard.

As a basic rule of thumb, you can exert for about an hour which is when the glycogen in your liver becomes depleted. After that, if you want to keep going, you need to eat something. Most of us eat gu/powerbar gels/hammer gels, or something along those lines because they are simple sugars and conveniently packaged.

From there, endurance nutrition branches out in many different directions, with many different schools of thought and techniques. If I drew a picture of all the different possibilities, it would closely resemble the tree of life...

The best advice I can give you is to go to a running store and buy a couple of different flavors that sound good to you of a couple different brands. Some have caffeine. Some are not gel (which is the consistency of honey, roughly) but more candy-like. Gumdrop-ish or Jelly-bean ish. They all provide the same final product for your system...about 100 calories of pure sugar.

Then, when you do something long enough (45 minutes is a good place to start) eat one, and keep going for another 15 minutes or so. Be sure to drink some water with it. What happens? Remember what you like and what you don't.

Sports drinks have calories as well, and some of us use some sort of combination of sports drinks and 'fuel' to keep our body going. For a short race, I don't drink gatorade. I don't use it unless I am at about a HIM or Marathon ish effort. I would try some gatorade and ironman perform in training just to find out how you respond to it, but since it is liquid calories, I would not drink it during training until I had a REASON to (i.e. I don't feel I am going to eat enough calories with gels alone).

Some of us also want to eat a little solid food (like a clif bar) in a race, but that is not until HIM distance. If you find yourself on a long training ride, that would be a good time to try that out, again to see how your body responds.

Until you start getting into races that are 2 or more hours it is not really more complex than a gu and some water. Don't over think it. 

So with that information, do you think you know enough to start using basic race nutrition?

Do you need to know more?

2012-01-11 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3984236

I would like to make an observation...  You use the time method, and then equate time to race distance.  That's great if I was working at your pace all the time (perhaps I can someday), but I know the last half marathon I ran took me about 2.75 hours.  SO is it the time, or the distance (or some yet otherworldly combination of time distance and effort level that we haven't delved into yet) that we should be considering as we start out trying these things.

I would also like to ask a question.  THis morning for my work out, I decided to go into the gym a littel early, and do a mock sprint triathlon.  SO I swam about a third of mile, then I did my spin class for 45 minutes (translating into approx 11 miles), then I ran 3.5 miles.  My question is along the lines of whether or not doing this is appropriate, or if I should try to restrict my activities to just one or two on any given day or whatever (if you were curious this process took me approx 2 hours not counting the transitions or any additional stretching or other bulloney).

Thanks
Mark Whittaker

2012-01-11 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow! Loving all this info! Thanks for all the insight and viewpoints On gear and stuff.

2012-01-11 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3984538

Somethign else that I just thought about...

I seem to be complaining a bit here.  All this info is incredibly great, and I truly appreciate it.  I am trying to digest the info in a means that I can. 

Thank you so much for the info, I truly and honestly appreciate it, and I don't mean to come across as somebody who doesn't appreciate it.

Thank you

Mark W.

2012-01-11 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3984236

User image

Extreme Veteran
quincyf - 2012-01-11 12:52 PM

Until you start getting into races that are 2 or more hours it is not really more complex than a gu and some water. Don't over think it. 

Advice of the year.  For all this stuff...K.I.S.S.

2012-01-11 4:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-11 2:45 PM

I would like to make an observation...  You use the time method, and then equate time to race distance.  That's great if I was working at your pace all the time (perhaps I can someday), but I know the last half marathon I ran took me about 2.75 hours.  SO is it the time, or the distance (or some yet otherworldly combination of time distance and effort level that we haven't delved into yet) that we should be considering as we start out trying these things.

I would also like to ask a question.  THis morning for my work out, I decided to go into the gym a littel early, and do a mock sprint triathlon.  SO I swam about a third of mile, then I did my spin class for 45 minutes (translating into approx 11 miles), then I ran 3.5 miles.  My question is along the lines of whether or not doing this is appropriate, or if I should try to restrict my activities to just one or two on any given day or whatever (if you were curious this process took me approx 2 hours not counting the transitions or any additional stretching or other bulloney).

Thanks
Mark Whittaker

The more bricks you do the better, but you dont want to over do it.  Its fun to do what you did once in a while in a low key way.  Especially during winter.  I think I did something similar maybe 2 times or so last winter.

I wouldnt advise doing a brick, or a low key sprint or whatever you want to call it, every weekend, but once in a while in off season is probably good for you.

2012-01-11 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-11 2:45 PM

Thanks
Mark Whittaker

First off, congrats on your monster workout! Sounds fun! You did a sprint tri right there. There's no wrong way to exercise, so if doing all three in one day works for you, fine! If you start following a 'training plan' you will most often see one or two sports a day, but some plans even have a mini tri built in (or races...races can and are part of plans for bigger races). The only wrong way is to sit on your butt (like me lately).

Fuel intake is about the time, not the distance. So if you are out half-marying for more than 2 hours, then, you'd be doing about a gu an hour...so two, maybe three depending on how you are feeling. Just remember one about every 45-60 minutes or so.

*Disclaimer: I probably don't eat enough during training or races, so my examples might be a bit light. Your mileage may vary! The KEY is to have an idea before you race. So...during your MockTri this morning, another aspect to your training might have been to take a Gu after your spin class and see how it made you feel during your run. How did you feel after your 2+ hours? Were you tired, hungry? Did your legs feel heavy or did you feel lightheaded? The more you do this stuff the more you will know if you fueled properly or not. You need to practice feeding YOUR machine. My numbers and examples are merely places for you to start.  See?

2012-01-11 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3984032

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-01-11 12:22 PM

Quincy, NICE JOB! 

Tom

Tom I do run with custom orthotis i got from my podiatrist. I am an "over pronator" I used to use over the counter orthotics made by a company called lynco. Do you currently use orthotics? What are they correcting for? Running shoes are classified by the type of support they provide. Neutral StabilityMotion controlIdeally if you use an orthotic its best to use them ina neutral shoe versus say a stability shoe as the stabilty shoe already tries to correct issues. So this would end up confusing the matter more. I will get into thsi question miore after you reply with if you already use orthotics or not.When you look on line at roadrunnersports or runningwarehouse They will show the different shoe types and which falls into each catagory. Since you are a new runner, and a big guy, i would say something like asics kayano (stability) would be a good choice. (i also use this for training and for marathons)

Dave,

Thanks, I used to get formed for orthotics ($300 a pr) until I found Spenco's, which I can buy a pr for about $30.  They seem to work fine.  The reason: My left foot is a 10, and my right is a 9; due to low blood flow when I was a kid and my heart defect.  More for taking up space and a good arch in my foot.  I've used them for so many years now that it seems wrong not to.  But like you said, I don't want to over compensate for a shoe that will work just fine.

I also wear a wide width too! It @#$%&* sucks

Never thought of myself as a "big guy", LOL I looking to get back to my 170 or less mode. 

Thanks for the help.

Edited by TLakatos1259 2012-01-11 5:41 PM

2012-01-11 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3984657

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-11 3:31 PM

Somethign else that I just thought about...

I seem to be complaining a bit here.  All this info is incredibly great, and I truly appreciate it.  I am trying to digest the info in a means that I can. 

Thank you so much for the info, I truly and honestly appreciate it, and I don't mean to come across as somebody who doesn't appreciate it.

Thank you

Mark W.

I knew you were going to be trouble when you showed up with an a missing out of your name!  

Haha, seriously?

I'm just glad someone's asking questions!!!

2012-01-11 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3984894

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-11 5:41 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-11 12:22 PM

Quincy, NICE JOB! 

Tom

Dave,

Thanks, I used to get formed for orthotics ($300 a pr) until I found Spenco's, which I can buy a pr for about $30.  They seem to work fine.  The reason: My left foot is a 10, and my right is a 9; due to low blood flow when I was a kid and my heart defect.  More for taking up space and a good arch in my foot.  I've used them for so many years now that it seems wrong not to.  But like you said, I don't want to over compensate for a shoe that will work just fine.

I also wear a wide width too! It @#$%&* sucks

Never thought of myself as a "big guy", LOL I looking to get back to my 170 or less mode. 

Thanks for the help.

Heh sorry Tom!  

In the running "world" If you are 170+ you are a big guy!    To the rest of the world. Not so much.     I did not like hearing that it makes me a "big guy" either

Hearing what you have said I would go for the kayano's You can try them with, or without your orthotics and see how it feels.

It does not sound like your orthotics are trying to do too much. The kayanos will abosrb impact which will help keep you running.  Also Asics is known for having a wide toe box area. Extra width shoes are available . I see them online anyhow. Dont know what may or may not be available locally for you.

As Quincy said its a good idea to go to a running store and have them fit you. They will typicaly have a treadmill,  and will watch you run a bit.  See what they say.   The neutral equal of kayano is the Asics Nimbus.   

Couple of things. If your dress shoe is a size 10 then typically you need a running shoe size 11 When you run your feet flatten out more and thus need more room.    A snug fit in the toe box area is not a good thing. Creates black toe etc. And you do have to size this by your longer foot. The shorter foot just has to "deal" With it. Or so this is my understanding.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-11 7:19 PM
2012-01-11 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Oh yes i shoud also say Asics also does not sponser me. But again I am totally for sale (sorry... WE are for sale)
2012-01-11 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Hey!!! Have any of you watched "breaking bad" Yet!!!???? Just wondering. If you want a short "The Simpsons" Version of breaking bad, then check out this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Qv2hCprbs&sns=em ****spoiler alert***
2012-01-11 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3984615

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Ybeal - 2012-01-11 3:14 PM Wow! Loving all this info! Thanks for all the insight and viewpoints On gear and stuff.

Thanks Yvonne...makes me feel happy to hear you are enjoying it...Smile

2012-01-11 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3985030

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
I'm baaaaack. What a tough couple of weeks. I started the New Year awesome, got on the trainer and banged out some miles. (not sure how many as my bike computer need a new battery). Then did some P90x. The next day bang, down with a horrible head cold and I'm just shaking it off. Back to training tomorrow! My bike is waiting for me, taunting me to get on.....
2012-01-11 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3983853

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-11 10:10 AM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-10 12:26 AM
kentkillsit - 2012-01-09 11:00 PM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-10 6:14 PM
kentkillsit - 2012-01-07 8:06 PM

Shelly, Now I know there are 2 of us with heart issues.  I was born with a congenital heart defect.  My cardiologist things this tri thing is great and my heart has gotten stronger.  I am glad I have a HRM.

Keep it up.

Tom

Tom

That's interesting to know. I make jokes about mine sometimes but it really is fairly serious. I have aortic and mitral valve stenosis from radiation treatments for my first cancer. Mine is actually worsening each year and my cardiologist says it's not a matter of if but when I'll have to valve replacement surgery. I really did need a hrm because he doesn't want me overdoing it hr wise. I'll actually be doing some specialized testing soon as well so we can formulate a plan for what heart rate to back off on. He does say though that the progression would likely be a good bit worse if I didn't train like I do. He just doesn't want me having a heart attack during training. I kinda agree with him- that doesn't sound like too much fun- lol.

Shelly

2012-01-11 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

this is weird    BT is not letting me put a link into this message.  

Pete

Myself  I just use the regular Gu  etc.    I also make sure to eat low glycemic foods  that release their energy slowly.  (such as steel cut oats)    Really  ALL endurance athletes (diabetic or not)  need to think like this.

Many of my Type 1 buddies  use  this lower glycemic   GU substitute during  events.  
http://www./

I'm told its YUMMO!  (but I have not tried it)       Again they do not sponsor me.   But I am for sale!   (have to keep tossing that in there)

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-11 8:23 PM
2012-01-11 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DP

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-11 8:14 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44