BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-12-27 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3943039

New user
Walterboro
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
With my work schedule and training for a 1/2 in May and IMFl in Nov., I'm going to have to buy a trainer in the next week or two.  I don't mind running in the dark but i don't think I want to do much riding in the dark.  Any suggestions on what to look for in a trainer? 

2011-12-27 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

I bought a fluid trainer last spring.

Not fascinated with it

Rather ride outside anytime.  Even prefer spin & gym, but it does serve its purpose.

I usually have loud, fast music on & it gets me through.

Might have to buy some spinervals!?!

R

2011-12-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3955363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Wesley12 - 2011-12-27 11:25 AM With my work schedule and training for a 1/2 in May and IMFl in Nov., I'm going to have to buy a trainer in the next week or two.  I don't mind running in the dark but i don't think I want to do much riding in the dark.  Any suggestions on what to look for in a trainer? 

CycleOps Fluid Trainer is the top of the fluid trainer line.  Whatever brand, I recommend the fluid trainers.  They can recreate any road situation. 

2011-12-27 11:59 AM

User image

Regular
Denver

Westley - I have the CycleOps Fluid 2 Trainer and I love the smooth "Road Like Feel" and the quiet nature of the fly wheel.  Those are two qualities I would look for in a trainer.

Jackie - Definitely, dust off your trainer!  There is good work to be done!  Like Kenj said, if you have "Focused Intervals" the trainer ride goes much better!!

GoGoGo - I, too, have been a "Masher".  Would definitely prefer to grind a gear than to try to spin it.  But as a Triathlete, "Spinning" would be much more beneficial for the run, so I am committed to learning to Spin!" 

Gator 22 - Regarding your session in the pool, yes, the fitness seems to fade fast and take a long time to regain.  I am on Week #4 and just now noticing improvement!  Hang in there!

KenJ - Great contribution regarding trainer rides and cadence! Well done!

Kathleen - Definitely plan to have some trainer parties!  My house and yours!

RussRisher - Swimming is challenging... and I, too, get winded while swimming and I'm a fairly decent swimmer.  If I can compare it to running, just as one might get winded running a quarter mile, I think the same thing exists in the water.  Just continue your training and patience. 

Question:  If I log into BeginnerTriathlete.com, how do I get to this Thread if I don't have it book marked?

2011-12-27 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland

I got my trainer on ebay.  It is also a Cycle ops 2 fluid trainer.  I got it for about $200, almost new.  It came with a spinervals dvd.

I just need to learn how to use it.

Question, to increase tension, do you change gears while you're riding? 

2011-12-27 12:08 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland

Carla, do you have the email option toggled?  If so, you will get a bunch of emails (I usually designate a separate folder for them) with the link.

THat's what I usually do to get on the thread.

2011-12-27 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3955485

User image

Regular
Denver
Vivian, Thanks for sending the "Helping hand" I now have the email toggled... but my computer doesn't keep me logged in and the email like brings me to the thread but I can't comment without logging in.So my thoughts were to come to the site directly, log in then find the thread but it's not intuitive how to accomplish this without the email link.
2011-12-27 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3955341

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Question for anyone that struggled with the swim
russrisher - 2011-12-27 12:18 PM

The Swim is by far my weakest discipline.

I've tried TI and it improved, but I still haven't had that "AH HA" moment.  The biggest issue is around my breathing, which I still am having trouble with, and I get winded very quickly.

My question is for anyone that had a similar struggle.  Is there anything specific that got you over the hump?

After 4 or 5 years of doing tris, including both masters and swimming on my own, a little friendly competition with a friend led me to address my swim this past summer.  A friend who is a very good swimmer,  was beating me out of the water by enough that I couldn't catch him on the bike or run so I decided I had enough.  The steak dinner wagers we had also help.  So I signed up for one on one lessons at my YMCA.  It was money well spent.  I have picked up 10 to 15 seconds per 100 yards and as I continue to work on the swim this winter, including attending weekly clinics at the Y with the same instructor leading the group, I fully expect to gain another 10 or 15 seconds per 100 by the summer.  Some of this will be better conditioning, but most will be better form.  Some of the things we worked on were:

1. Improving my kick (I would almost go backwards before when kicking).
2. Swimming from the core, meaning that you roll from the hips using your core to propel.
3. Working on rolling more than I was, I used to be a bulldozer in the water.
4. Reaching and trying to be long in the water.

Not that I have necessarily had that AH HA moment, but I have found that improving my swim makes me more efficient in the water and I don't work as hard.  Which makes it easier and I don't get as winded.  I also think by being more efficient, I will be in better shape physically when I get to the bike.  Unfortunately, I have found in the past 6 months, that in order to swim better/faster/more efficient I also need to swim more than I was.  A lot of my problem prior was I didn't particularly like swimming, and since I struggled I just avoided it more than I should.  I had my best weeks of improvement when I attended either a lesson or the clinic and followed it up with 2 other swims repeating the drills and working on endurance.

Depending on the group, many Master programs also offer the coaching services and instruction. 

The other thing that I think was a big help was the fact that the lessons included underwater video taping.  It was a lot easier to understand what she was telling me when she could show me what I was doing frame by frame then imediately go back and try and change the form. 

2011-12-27 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3955455

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-12-27 12:59 PM

Wesley12 - 2011-12-27 11:25 AM With my work schedule and training for a 1/2 in May and IMFl in Nov., I'm going to have to buy a trainer in the next week or two.  I don't mind running in the dark but i don't think I want to do much riding in the dark.  Any suggestions on what to look for in a trainer? 

CycleOps Fluid Trainer is the top of the fluid trainer line.  Whatever brand, I recommend the fluid trainers.  They can recreate any road situation. 

I agree on the CycleOps trainer.  Kurt Kinetic also has some that are very good too.

I think I am on every tri store e-mail list so if I see any deals soon I will let you know!

2011-12-27 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3955474

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-12-27 1:05 PM

I got my trainer on ebay.  It is also a Cycle ops 2 fluid trainer.  I got it for about $200, almost new.  It came with a spinervals dvd.

I just need to learn how to use it.

Question, to increase tension, do you change gears while you're riding? 

Yes, you increase or decrease the tension by changing gears.  But I would caution, make sure you have the flywheel tension against your back tire set according to the instructions.  You will probably know it if you don't since it will either slip if it is too loose, or be very difficult if it is too tight.  The other thing is to make sure you check your tire pressure as it will be a little tougher if the tire is underinflated too much.

Spinervals are good, but they are challenging as they are meant to help you improve, so don't get discouraged.

2011-12-27 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3955493

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-27 1:12 PM Vivian, Thanks for sending the "Helping hand" I now have the email toggled... but my computer doesn't keep me logged in and the email like brings me to the thread but I can't comment without logging in.So my thoughts were to come to the site directly, log in then find the thread but it's not intuitive how to accomplish this without the email link.

From any page once you are signed in, you can click the FORUMS button up top, the 2012 Mentor thread is the top one and you should be able to find us by the title of the thread (hopefully not at the bottom of the list Wink). 

The other option would be to put it in your links.  If you look down the right hand side of your workout log there is a section for links.  Click on that and copy and past the address with a description.  Not overly familiar with this feature, but I have seen it done this way before. 

2011-12-27 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Carla ...go to forums and check into the current forum list, then look for this one.

Yes, you vary the trainer by shifting gears just like on the road.  You can do low cadence/ high power,  high cadence/high power and every thing in between. 

2011-12-27 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I thought someone had asked a question about posting pictures.   Here is a link to the article.  Page down to item 6.
2011-12-27 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3954789

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-12-27 7:37 AM

Steve - 50s, however do you stand it!  I work for the Pantagraph in Bloomington, Il.  32 years next month. Love the career.  The last 6 years under Lee Enterprise leadership after purchase from Pulitzer have been hell.  I also write for outdoor magazines.  Been doing that 20 years as of 2012.

If you like the trainer, you'd love the Computrainer.  The trainer is linked to a computer that reads workout files.  My coach can design anything he likes.  High power, high cadence (VO2), moderate sets of tempo or endurance, strength exercises (SEs) with low cadence and high power like hill climbs.  You can also buy Real Course videos.  Someone goes out on a course and films it so you see the course and they overlay the grades so the computer can reproduce the hills, flats and descents as if you were there.  One exception, you can't coast so the RCV is actually harder than the real thing.  I did the RCV of Wisconsin IM several times last winter, nearly ever Sunday for 3 to 4 hours.  When I finally rode the course for real in spring, it was as if I'd been there before.  I knew what was around every turn.  Spooky, but it really helped.

High cadence drills for me are to move from 85, 90, 95, 100, and 105.  Start at like 5 mins a piece and work out to 30 mins. I do high cadence once a week.  

They say the best cadence to shoot for is about 90 rpm.   But that is not set in stone.  Some folks ride at 85, some at 95.  The fact is the more revs a minute you do, the more the work is spread out so you aren't pushing the legs as much.  The other side is the higher the revs, the greater the load on the aerobic system.  You can spin yourself to hell and get no where. 

The best approach is to realize we mostly spin too slow and do HC exercises to improve, then ride at different cadences to see what is the most natural for you to achieve the power goals and speed without burning yourself up for the run.  Save the legs. 

I never heard that lance rides at 130.  But he did change his riding style from gear cruncher to spinner after he returned from cancer and won 7 TdF.  So it just might be something to look at. 

I have been close to pulling the trigger on a Computrainer a couple of times.   For a self coached triathlete, would you still recommend it as strongly?  The other thing is that none of my races are available as RCV's.

2011-12-27 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3955595

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-12-27 12:43 PM
IceManScott - 2011-12-27 7:37 AM

Steve - 50s, however do you stand it!  I work for the Pantagraph in Bloomington, Il.  32 years next month. Love the career.  The last 6 years under Lee Enterprise leadership after purchase from Pulitzer have been hell.  I also write for outdoor magazines.  Been doing that 20 years as of 2012.

If you like the trainer, you'd love the Computrainer.  The trainer is linked to a computer that reads workout files.  My coach can design anything he likes.  High power, high cadence (VO2), moderate sets of tempo or endurance, strength exercises (SEs) with low cadence and high power like hill climbs.  You can also buy Real Course videos.  Someone goes out on a course and films it so you see the course and they overlay the grades so the computer can reproduce the hills, flats and descents as if you were there.  One exception, you can't coast so the RCV is actually harder than the real thing.  I did the RCV of Wisconsin IM several times last winter, nearly ever Sunday for 3 to 4 hours.  When I finally rode the course for real in spring, it was as if I'd been there before.  I knew what was around every turn.  Spooky, but it really helped.

High cadence drills for me are to move from 85, 90, 95, 100, and 105.  Start at like 5 mins a piece and work out to 30 mins. I do high cadence once a week.  

They say the best cadence to shoot for is about 90 rpm.   But that is not set in stone.  Some folks ride at 85, some at 95.  The fact is the more revs a minute you do, the more the work is spread out so you aren't pushing the legs as much.  The other side is the higher the revs, the greater the load on the aerobic system.  You can spin yourself to hell and get no where. 

The best approach is to realize we mostly spin too slow and do HC exercises to improve, then ride at different cadences to see what is the most natural for you to achieve the power goals and speed without burning yourself up for the run.  Save the legs. 

I never heard that lance rides at 130.  But he did change his riding style from gear cruncher to spinner after he returned from cancer and won 7 TdF.  So it just might be something to look at. 

I have been close to pulling the trigger on a Computrainer a couple of times.   For a self coached triathlete, would you still recommend it as strongly?  The other thing is that none of my races are available as RCV's.

The short answer is yes.  I can send you all the workout files you need.   I also think there are all kinds available through RaceMate. As for the Real Course Vids, they are definitely a plus.  My races aren't available either but I'm hoping to get the course profile on a CT file at the very least.  What I like is;

- The efficiency.   I can get on the CT and do 60 or 90 mins after work, get a precise workout in without leaving home and having to fight rush hour traffic to get to a safe place in the country to ride.  It saves me 90 mins round trip every time.  Place I can ride whenever I want.  I know people don't like it but I can do a 3 to 4 hour workout at the peak and never have to fight the elements unless I want to.  The downside of that is that some folks say you loose bike skills.  I don't think so.  I get plenty of long rides on the road.

- The preciseness.  You cannot reproduce the workouts on the road with stop signs, traffic etc., as you can on a CT. 

Several of the top tris at the bike event say they do 80% plus of their riding on a CT for those reasons, safety, preciseness and efficient use off time. 

Are they necessary at our level of the sport?  That is debatable. But I had a limited amount of time to get ready for the Ironman and I decided to do the investment to give myself another leg up.  It worked. But you can definitely do well with a fluid trainer.  I was with my coach about 18 months with a fluid trainer and was able to do fine with a power meter and a stop watch.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-12-27 1:16 PM
2011-12-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3954782

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

gator22 - 2011-12-27 6:24 AM I swam today for the first time since November of 2009! Oh Man, have I lost a lot. The road back to slow is long. I also am motivated to dust off my trainer by your enthusiasm....

Great job getting in the water - the first time is always the hardest!

2011-12-27 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3954835

User image

Expert
kenj - 2011-12-27 7:31 AM

gator22 - 2011-12-27 7:24 AM I swam today for the first time since November of 2009! Oh Man, have I lost a lot. The road back to slow is long. I also am motivated to dust off my trainer by your enthusiasm....

Maybe we can get you to Geneva in July?

Already Registered!!!

2011-12-27 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
russrisher - 2011-12-27 11:18 AM

I've tried TI and it improved, but I still haven't had that "AH HA" moment.  The biggest issue is around my breathing, which I still am having trouble with, and I get winded very quickly.

My question is for anyone that had a similar struggle.  Is there anything specific that got you over the hump?

There is a reason so many people struggle with the swim - it has the steepest learning curve! If you are getting winded I would suggest trying to slow down until you feel comfortable with breathing every 3rd or 4th stroke.  It will probably feel excrutiatingly slow at first. later  you can add some more speed. Also are you breathing all your air out before taking another breath? IF not you will have to exhale before you can take another breathe which will mean your head is out of the water for longer and further increase inefeciency. keep at it - you will get it!

Edited by robingray_260 2011-12-27 1:46 PM
2011-12-27 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I have mixed feelings about the trainer - I think I am with Jackie on this one, it would be awesome if it just didn't hurt so much!

I have never tried spinervals, but have tried and like the sufferfest videos and they are way cheaper than spinervals - I like the cycling footage from various pro races.

http://www.thesufferfest.com/ 

2011-12-27 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3955750

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
gator22 - 2011-12-27 2:28 PM
kenj - 2011-12-27 7:31 AM

gator22 - 2011-12-27 7:24 AM I swam today for the first time since November of 2009! Oh Man, have I lost a lot. The road back to slow is long. I also am motivated to dust off my trainer by your enthusiasm....

Maybe we can get you to Geneva in July?

Already Registered!!!

Great! Sorry I missed that!

2011-12-27 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
russrisher - 2011-12-27 11:18 AM

My Masters coach, first thing 3 years ago, told me when I was winded, keep going.  There is a "wall" early on that I realize now happens because my heart rate isn't matching the early exertion.  Just swim through it.  Go slower until you feel yourself move through that point.  Also the advice Kath gave you is right on.  Learning Chi running, I was told to breathe out hard to empty the lungs.  It forces my diaphragm to draw in more oxygen.  You can't fill your lungs if they aren't empty first.  Relax.  You'll be good.

2011-12-27 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

I'm gonna ask the ladies -

I'm getting married in September (woot!), and I wanted to know how I can keep my Triathlon tan lines to a minimum? I will have straps.  So far, my arms looks pretty tan, but my neck area is very light, due to not wearing a lot of racerback style shirts/no triathlons, etc. All the lines are caused by cycling.  Legs, I don't care, you ain't gonna see them.

I know it's bad, but I normally do not put sunblock/lotion (with exception on my face and lips) Only because I feel like it's "heavy", after a while, it gets "sticky".  Unless if there's a product that's guarantee that won't cause issues even for the most pickiest person. I'm so sensitive to anything that I put on my skin (not allergic sensitive, just tactile sensitive).

A friend suggested that I put 30-50 spf, and just get out there and do what I can do, then when the wedding roll around, I can get a spray tan, go to the tanning booth a couple times to even it out, however, she's not a triathlete. 

Any suggestions? :-D

2011-12-27 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3952546

User image

Regular
Denver
2011 Ironman Florida Race Report
"Life after DNF"

http://carlalthompson.blogspot.com/2011/11/ironman-florida-ironman-distance-date.html

As part of my closure for 2011, I wanted to finish up my Race Report from Ironman Florida.  As you can imagine it was not easy to write, but I really want to release what happened there and free myself up for what is to be in 2012.  

2011-12-27 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3956286

User image

Expert
Canada
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-27 6:35 PM 2011 Ironman Florida Race Report
"Life after DNF"

http://carlalthompson.blogspot.com/2011/11/ironman-florida-ironman-distance-date.html

As part of my closure for 2011, I wanted to finish up my Race Report from Ironman Florida.  As you can imagine it was not easy to write, but I really want to release what happened there and free myself up for what is to be in 2012.  

An engaging, enlightening read.

Thanks for posting it!!

You are now FREE.  Fly padawan, FLY

2011-12-27 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3956286

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-27 4:35 PM 2011 Ironman Florida Race Report
"Life after DNF"

Carla - your story is both heartbreaking and also very inspirational.  No doubt in my mind that you will get it done in 2012 - thank you for sharing.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72