BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-02-18 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4054257

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL
nvalaitis - 2012-02-18 7:10 AM

Hey Folks! I'm going to take the idiot of the day award. I went to packet pickup for my half marathon last night, but i didnt see my name on the list. So i go to talk with someone and turns out, the deal that i bought from Active/Schwaggle was good, but i never registered after i bought it. Guess i didn't realize i had to that. Whoops. No half for me, but i plan to ride 50 tomorrow.

Lesson of the weekend: Make sure you read the full details after buying a "deal" :-)

Nick,

That is one way of getting out of racing me.

That totally sucks.

2012-02-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Master

Hey All,

Home again, but only for two days, and then I am back on the road.

Since I got in late, I decided to sleep late. So, I guess I will call this my taper, as I am not really planning on working out today.

Looking forward to my half marathon tomorrow.

Anyone else have good plans?

2012-02-18 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Nick... too funny.  Get 'em next time.

Eli, good luck tomorrow.  I expect a P.R.Laughing

I just did my first longish run.  7 miles.  Hit an 8:30 pace and felt great the whole time.  I don't think I lost that much without running for the last 6 weeks, and if I can get a few long runs in I'll be ready for IM Cali.  Funny though, my big toe is now crooked so I got a blister on my foot where I have never before.  I'm a little worried that my gait has changed and It could affect my hips, knees and back.  I'm just going to ease in and go to the Chiropractor regularly.  It's all about injury prevention now.

2012-02-20 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4054679

User image

Master
Mitchparadise - 2012-02-18 3:36 PM  

Nick... too funny.  Get 'em next time.

Eli, good luck tomorrow.  I expect a P.R.Laughing

I just did my first longish run.  7 miles.  Hit an 8:30 pace and felt great the whole time.  I don't think I lost that much without running for the last 6 weeks, and if I can get a few long runs in I'll be ready for IM Cali.  Funny though, my big toe is now crooked so I got a blister on my foot where I have never before.  I'm a little worried that my gait has changed and It could affect my hips, knees and back.  I'm just going to ease in and go to the Chiropractor regularly.  It's all about injury prevention now.

Mitch,

That is great news! I would defiantly work on your core muscles, hips, etc as you are probably right about your gati. You will need to find a new equilibrium.

2012-02-20 8:51 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Had a great weekend. I didn't ride or run or anything on Saturay, but didn't get much sleep either.

Sunday was AWESOME. Saw Nick (he got to run with a friends number) and some other friends at the start of the 1/2.

My wife had switched up to the full, so I knew it would be a long day.

I will write more in my race report, but, I did get a PR. Not huge, only 40 seconds, but it was a huge bump in my overall placements at  the race. I went out at a good pace, but was unable to hold it. Considering that I haven't been getting in the mileage, I am pretty happy. I was on track for 1:46 until about mile 11. I ended up with 1:49:13.

Nick, who was about us forcing him to race, scored a HUGE 2 minute PR at 1:55 something.

Anyone else have some fun this weekend?

I am traveling again this week, but hope to get my motivation up to train some. My legs are a little sore today, so I am looking to swim/elliptical or bike today and Tuesday.

2012-02-20 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4056380

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2012-02-20 6:51 AM

Hey All,

Had a great weekend. I didn't ride or run or anything on Saturay, but didn't get much sleep either.

Sunday was AWESOME. Saw Nick (he got to run with a friends number) and some other friends at the start of the 1/2.

My wife had switched up to the full, so I knew it would be a long day.

I will write more in my race report, but, I did get a PR. Not huge, only 40 seconds, but it was a huge bump in my overall placements at  the race. I went out at a good pace, but was unable to hold it. Considering that I haven't been getting in the mileage, I am pretty happy. I was on track for 1:46 until about mile 11. I ended up with 1:49:13.

Nick, who was about us forcing him to race, scored a HUGE 2 minute PR at 1:55 something.

Anyone else have some fun this weekend?

I am traveling again this week, but hope to get my motivation up to train some. My legs are a little sore today, so I am looking to swim/elliptical or bike today and Tuesday.

Nick,   2 minute p.r. is amazing.  It's hard to get going sometimes, but we never regret it when we do!  Well done.

Eli... way to go.  Great time, even with the slight blow up at the end.  I bet you have that 1:46 in you!

I'm feeling pretty good about running again.  Did a nice 6 miler.  Felt like the perfect run.  Negative split at exactly the paces I was going for.  I just may be ready for IM Cali soon...

2012-02-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4056849

User image

South Florida

Hey, Hey, HEY!

Well.... as Eli said i was able to grab a bib from a friend. So it ended up working out. Let me just start out by saying the last place a person should be at 5am, is a port-o-potty on race morning. Just an awful place to be.

Anyway, I was able to hang on a a 8:49 pace Which was 4 seconds faster than my previous 13.1 time of 8:53. I'm pretty happy about the PR seeing as how i've been seriously slacking on my run volume. And I mean serious slacking.  LOL But yesterdays race has only fueled me to get serious about my running. Surprisingly i'm not to sore today, So i'll take today to stretch/roll around then back at it tomorrow.!

2012-02-20 3:53 PM

User image

NH
Sorry for a fly by drop in, but great job to Eli and Nick on those PRs!  Eli, now I have a target for my half in May - I will defeat you!  Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
2012-02-20 4:35 PM

New user
Awesome job on those PRs.  You guys rock.
2012-02-20 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Sat: beautiful February day, 61 degrees. Got in a 30 miles trail ride.
Sun: Snows 6 inches.
Mon: decide to try my first snow ride. Took me almost a hour to go 6 miles. Tough ride but it was a good workout. Also signed up for the Y - Try challenge, an indoor sprint triathlon.

2012-02-20 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Double tap

Edited by pvfd304 2012-02-20 6:55 PM

2012-02-21 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Haven't checked in in a while but nothing out of the norm here. Still focusing on the bike plan. I don't officially start my HIM training until April. Read a good article from Chrissie Wellington on how mental training is just as important as physical training:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/21/health/chrissie-wellington-triathlete-champion/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

2012-02-21 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Yep, mental training is key. The brain is the first to throw in the towel. I use training to help deal with stress so I use that to keep the body in motion.
2012-02-21 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4058269

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
jpfeife - 2012-02-21 8:51 AM

Haven't checked in in a while but nothing out of the norm here. Still focusing on the bike plan. I don't officially start my HIM training until April. Read a good article from Chrissie Wellington on how mental training is just as important as physical training:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/21/health/chrissie-wellington-triathlete-champion/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

How's that Jorge M Cycle plan working for you?  Do you feel like it's making an improvement?

2012-02-21 6:14 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL

Looks like everyone is rocking it!!!  I apparently went on "walk-about" for a bit so here is a quick catch up.  

1.  we found out we are pregnant!!!  (kid 1, 3rd positive)  2.  was asked by baby momma to WD from RNR New Orleans since I will be going to Palau the week after for 10 days.  (lets hope she doesn't ask me to WD Augusta since the due date is 2 weeks after the race)  3.  officially did a 5k on no sleep, still drunk, in my Mardi Gras costume from the night before and with no prep.  Still posted a sub 33:00.  

Now, any advice on training for a HIM that will be 16 days before boots are scheduled to hit the ground?  Let the fun begin!!!

Oh, HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!!!!!!!

2012-02-21 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4059375

User image

Master
bufit - 2012-02-21 6:14 PM

Looks like everyone is rocking it!!!  I apparently went on "walk-about" for a bit so here is a quick catch up.  

1.  we found out we are pregnant!!!  (kid 1, 3rd positive)  2.  was asked by baby momma to WD from RNR New Orleans since I will be going to Palau the week after for 10 days.  (lets hope she doesn't ask me to WD Augusta since the due date is 2 weeks after the race)  3.  officially did a 5k on no sleep, still drunk, in my Mardi Gras costume from the night before and with no prep.  Still posted a sub 33:00.  

Now, any advice on training for a HIM that will be 16 days before boots are scheduled to hit the ground?  Let the fun begin!!!

Damn it, you had to mention Mardi Gras. I went to Tulane, and I volunteered in the French Quarter one year as an EMT. I got to be part of the midnight sweep that clears the streets Tuesday night.

Conrats on the mardi gras run, as well as the BABY!!!! If you think training(or running hungover) is tough, just wait!!!!

Going to Palau? Do you work for a logging company?

As for the WD, she wont be traveling two weeks before the due date, any chance she wants to go to RNR New Orleans?

Can you transfer your number to me if you can't make New Orleans?

2012-02-22 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4059359

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
Mitchparadise - 2012-02-21 5:58 PM

How's that Jorge M Cycle plan working for you?  Do you feel like it's making an improvement?

I had my second bike test last Saturday. Hold nothing back and go all out for 30 minutes. My average heart rate improved by only 3 bpm. That was a little disappointing but I'm not sure how much you can gain in 3 weeks. I think the plan based off of a power meter would be more accurate but I'm not willing to make that investment right now. I'm 40% done with the plan and I can definitely feel myself getting stronger. Need the resistance on the trainer higher to maintain a low, easy heart rate which is good. This has all been on a trainer so we will see how it correlates to actual riding. I would recommend the plan for anyone looking to increase strength and power. I have a race May 12 which will be my first this season so that will be a good indicator of how effective the plan is/was.

2012-02-23 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4059987

User image

Master
jpfeife - 2012-02-22 8:02 AM
Mitchparadise - 2012-02-21 5:58 PM

I had my second bike test last Saturday. Hold nothing back and go all out for 30 minutes. My average heart rate improved by only 3 bpm. That was a little disappointing but I'm not sure how much you can gain in 3 weeks. I think the plan based off of a power meter would be more accurate but I'm not willing to make that investment right now. I'm 40% done with the plan and I can definitely feel myself getting stronger. Need the resistance on the trainer higher to maintain a low, easy heart rate which is good. This has all been on a trainer so we will see how it correlates to actual riding. I would recommend the plan for anyone looking to increase strength and power. I have a race May 12 which will be my first this season so that will be a good indicator of how effective the plan is/was.

Your HR may not improve, but even on a trainer, your speed/distance should improve. Did it?

2012-02-23 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

that's a good question. the trainer i use is a spin bike at the local Y. it doesn't track speed only rpm and distance and since it's a fixed gear bike the distance is solely determined on the rpm not on resistance. so if you go one hr on resistance 1 (lowest, easiest gear) at 110rpm the distance would read a lot further than if you rode one hr on resistance 15 at 100rpm. Kinda confusing but it all works. Even if my heart rate doesn't improve I can tell I'm building muscle. It might be a mental thing too 

2012-02-24 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4062360

User image

Master
jpfeife - 2012-02-23 10:57 AM

that's a good question. the trainer i use is a spin bike at the local Y. it doesn't track speed only rpm and distance and since it's a fixed gear bike the distance is solely determined on the rpm not on resistance. so if you go one hr on resistance 1 (lowest, easiest gear) at 110rpm the distance would read a lot further than if you rode one hr on resistance 15 at 100rpm. Kinda confusing but it all works. Even if my heart rate doesn't improve I can tell I'm building muscle. It might be a mental thing too 

Ahh, that does make it harder to track. I am sure you are getting improvements. If you want concrete proof, you should do a field test once in a while. Pick a course that should take you about the amount of time that the test is and check your times against previous efforts. Doesn't matter where, as long as the conditions are mostly the same, and you ride the same bike (even a mountain bike).

2012-02-25 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4059375

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
bufit - 2012-02-21 4:14 PM

Hey!  Congrats!  Best thing I've ever done was have my daughter. She's 2 and it's so much fun!

My business partner always runs a Mardi Gras 5k, best thing is he doesn't run and doesn't sleep the night before.  Funny stuff to watch.

2012-02-27 7:57 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Crazy weekend for us. My wife ran the princess half at Disney, she has run it every year (4 times now I think). This year, she was doing it as a recovery, pacing run for a group of friends. I think there were 8 of them running. My daughter Angelina and I woke up with them and paced them around the race to spectate and cheer on the bullhorn. It was a blast, but REALLY tiring.

On Saturday, we ran the family 5K. It was my daughters 4th 5K, her 3rd family 5K at Disney, and the first time she was really interesting in running. She hasn't trained except for being a 9 year old, and she had a 46:38, which was lots of fun.

I did manage to cook a lot, but didn't do any training of my own. My 1/2 iron in 3 weeks is looming pretty large, so I am hoping to have 2 solid weeks of training and a short taper.

I also have to figure out how to ship my bike!!

2012-02-27 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4068010

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2012-02-27 5:57 AM

Hey All,

Crazy weekend for us. My wife ran the princess half at Disney, she has run it every year (4 times now I think). This year, she was doing it as a recovery, pacing run for a group of friends. I think there were 8 of them running. My daughter Angelina and I woke up with them and paced them around the race to spectate and cheer on the bullhorn. It was a blast, but REALLY tiring.

On Saturday, we ran the family 5K. It was my daughters 4th 5K, her 3rd family 5K at Disney, and the first time she was really interesting in running. She hasn't trained except for being a 9 year old, and she had a 46:38, which was lots of fun.

I did manage to cook a lot, but didn't do any training of my own. My 1/2 iron in 3 weeks is looming pretty large, so I am hoping to have 2 solid weeks of training and a short taper.

I also have to figure out how to ship my bike!!

That sounds like so much fun, can't wait until my daughters a little older to see if she's into running.

Good luck on that HIM! Do you have a goal in mind for it?

2012-02-28 12:21 PM

User image

Master

Mitch,

I was aiming to go 5 hours in San Juan, but I am not sure I am at that level yet. My run is in good shape, and my swim is OK, but I don't think I have the legs for the bike + run right now. I am hoping to get in some good training the next two weekends to see how it works out.

I would love to go 2:30 on the bike (my PR is a 2:38 for a half) and go sub 2 on the run. If I did that, I would be thrilled.

2012-02-28 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4070766

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2012-02-28 10:21 AM

Mitch,

I was aiming to go 5 hours in San Juan, but I am not sure I am at that level yet. My run is in good shape, and my swim is OK, but I don't think I have the legs for the bike + run right now. I am hoping to get in some good training the next two weekends to see how it works out.

I would love to go 2:30 on the bike (my PR is a 2:38 for a half) and go sub 2 on the run. If I did that, I would be thrilled.

I would give my right arm to bike like that!    I've only been cycling for under a year and everyone says it's all about "time in the saddle" so we'll see.

Here's a link to the official Bike transport for 70.3:

http://www.tribiketransport.com/ 

Just show up on site and the bike is ready to go!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16