BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-04-30 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4128264

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Subject: RE: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!

So, I had a bit of break through on swimming.  I finally learned to do a flip turn, well sorta. I had the pool to myself the other morning and decided to give it a go.  It took a few times to get the flip and at first was ending perpendicular to the lane.  finally got a few in a row and tried a couple of laps.  It was very different when trying to time the flip with my breath.  I tried it again today and it is getting easier.  I was only trying it in the deep end and still doing an open turn on the shallow side.  I found I am holding my breath during the turn and not breathing out, so I will have to work on that and to make the flip quicker.

I decided to learn flip turns since I tend to grab the wall and get an extra breath when doing an open turn. I have tried to not grab the wall, but I just don't have enough momentum to make the turn with grabbing the wall. I figured the flip turn would prevent me from doing both.  

On another note:  what does everyone eat before a race?  I saw Lovely's comment about switching to a protein shake, which got me thinking would a change in my pre-race diet help me perform better.  I typically eat a banana and a couple of eggs and sometimes with some bacon and other fruit.  Depends on how early I am up and how much time I have. 

2012-04-30 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4180402

User image

New user
Miami
garylandry - 2012-04-29 7:14 PM

Rain Rain go away and please come back to South Florida some other day. I have yet to get out and try my new Garmin lol. I am getting out to do something besides work on the new office tomorrow although there is a 90% chance of rain so it might be a soggy run.

Isn't it AWFUL!?!? well, I have to admit it's good for napping, but I need to get ready for work. Blah! I have yet to use my new foot pod. Where do you live? I'm in the Brickell area, pardon me if I already asked you... you are south, yes?
-----
"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
Beverly Sills

I am in the Cutler Bay Area right across the street for the Larry and Penny Thompson park. I  am so close to the Start of the Miami man course that is why i ride it so much.

2012-04-30 8:20 PM

User image

Regular
LaPorte, IN

Well they just posted the offical results to the race I just ran in.  I was wrong.  I thought the clock said 44:01 when I crossed the finish line, but they have me listed as 44:24...must of been the lack of oxygen lol.  Anyways I placed 180th over all and 9th in my age group.  Again my place doesnt matter...I had two goals and I accomplished them...first was to finish, second was to do it in 50 minutes.  Im glad my first race was such a success...can't wait for more.

2012-04-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4182175

User image

Colorado
Threejs - 2012-04-30 4:57 PM

Impressive scheduling idea.  I used to have each kid's activities color coded - worked out great with three kids.  I have been trying so hard to go paperless but it is just not working out for training.  I like your set up.  Hope you don't mind if I copy your idea

I tried to go paperless, too. I just couldn't do it. My system seems a bit archaic these days, but it works for me! Sounds like it would work for you...I love color-coding, too (two type A peas in a pod?).

Edited by amybecca 2012-04-30 8:58 PM
2012-04-30 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4178686

User image

New user

Does everybody have a good idea of which races they are doing for the rest of the year?RACE PLANNING.... LOGGING YOUR WORKOUTS... KEEPING A DIARY OF HOW EACH DAY/WEEK IS GOING... HOW DO ALL OF YOU KEEP TRACK? AND PLAN? Do you need some help with this?

I have my first tri (mini-sprint) coming up this weekend, Ragnar Chicago June 9-10 (or somewhere around then) and Marine Corps Marathon in October. That's it. Maybe an OD tri if I can find one in my area this year and probably will throw in some local 5-10k's since I miss them. Didn't do many last year because of my schedule b/t Jan 2011 to Jan 2012 (3 fulls, 3 halfs, 1 Ragnar).

As for logging, my coach uses TrainingPeaks to assign workouts and I log results there for him and on DailyMile for my personal record. Love them both! 

2012-05-01 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4182269

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
otisbrown - 2012-04-30 7:53 PM

So, I had a bit of break through on swimming.  I finally learned to do a flip turn, well sorta. I had the pool to myself the other morning and decided to give it a go.  It took a few times to get the flip and at first was ending perpendicular to the lane.  finally got a few in a row and tried a couple of laps.  It was very different when trying to time the flip with my breath.  I tried it again today and it is getting easier.  I was only trying it in the deep end and still doing an open turn on the shallow side.  I found I am holding my breath during the turn and not breathing out, so I will have to work on that and to make the flip quicker.

I decided to learn flip turns since I tend to grab the wall and get an extra breath when doing an open turn. I have tried to not grab the wall, but I just don't have enough momentum to make the turn with grabbing the wall. I figured the flip turn would prevent me from doing both.  

On another note:  what does everyone eat before a race?  I saw Lovely's comment about switching to a protein shake, which got me thinking would a change in my pre-race diet help me perform better.  I typically eat a banana and a couple of eggs and sometimes with some bacon and other fruit.  Depends on how early I am up and how much time I have. 

Not to be a downer, but flip turns aren't really the best thing for tri-swimming. You swim less and there are no walls in the open water to push off of. A flip turn is cool though.

I usually eat half a Power Bar and some coffee. (coffee helps assure poopage) Sometimes I'll have a gel 5 mins before the start.

2012-05-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4182687

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
frenchiegurl - 2012-04-30 11:08 PM

Does everybody have a good idea of which races they are doing for the rest of the year?RACE PLANNING.... LOGGING YOUR WORKOUTS... KEEPING A DIARY OF HOW EACH DAY/WEEK IS GOING... HOW DO ALL OF YOU KEEP TRACK? AND PLAN? Do you need some help with this?

I have my first tri (mini-sprint) coming up this weekend, Ragnar Chicago June 9-10 (or somewhere around then) and Marine Corps Marathon in October. That's it. Maybe an OD tri if I can find one in my area this year and probably will throw in some local 5-10k's since I miss them. Didn't do many last year because of my schedule b/t Jan 2011 to Jan 2012 (3 fulls, 3 halfs, 1 Ragnar).

As for logging, my coach uses TrainingPeaks to assign workouts and I log results there for him and on DailyMile for my personal record. Love them both! 

My coaches use training peaks too, but I don't like it. ::sigh::

Sounds like you've got a really good schedule going!
2012-05-01 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4180582

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
skibummer - 2012-04-30 9:16 AM

Catching up on the group here. Congrats to all those who raced, and heal up those who are hurt. I met my swim/run quota for last week but my bike miles were down to zero. It was cold and rainy just about every day, and when it cleared up I decided to run 10k instead.

Swimming is getting a little bit "easier". My continuos yardage is increasing, and yesterday I did about 500yds non stop. The big 'ah ha' for me was a breathing issue. When I took a breath, I was inhaling to snatch air as quick and as forceful as I could. I think this lead to some hyperventilating, which caused anxiety, which caused trouble. I slowed my stroke down and took easy breaths, and now I'm feeling better in the water. Put in a 500x2 slow and a 100x2 sprint workout. Then a sweaty 30 min. effort on a stationary bike on hill mode. 

May be changing jobs, which might hurt my tri motivations. Got to stay focused and determined. My old motivation was (among other motivators) to be the fittest and fastest employee at work. This will be a character defining Summer for me if I can stay with it and race well against my former coworkers.

You are doing GREAT. Don't let the work thing derail you... you may miss a workout or two, but try not to miss more than 2 days in a row. Good work on the breahting. Panic is what gets a lot of swimmers.
2012-05-01 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Had a nice swim this morning. After 4 days of heavy rain, I saw some sunshine! Briefly.
2012-05-01 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4183848

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

stephsprint - 2012-05-01 1:06 PM 
Not to be a downer, but flip turns aren't really the best thing for tri-swimming. You swim less and there are no walls in the open water to push off of. A flip turn is cool though. I usually eat half a Power Bar and some coffee. (coffee helps assure poopage) Sometimes I'll have a gel 5 mins before the start.

That is one reason I held off from trying them for so long.  I need to know that extra breath I get when I do an open turn is not helping me catch my breath.  I have found at times when I get more tired I naturally pause during the turn.  I figured I would give it a go for a bit and can always go back.

--Marcus

2012-05-01 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4183848

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

stephsprint - 2012-05-01 1:06 PMI usually eat half a Power Bar and some coffee. (coffee helps assure poopage) Sometimes I'll have a gel 5 mins before the start.

LOL .. poopage at the wrong time is one of my fears.  I hate to admit it, but came close on a long run one day and had to cut it short.  The whole rest of the way looking for a spot in case I couldn't make it, running through scenarios if I was caught dropping trow.  Even contemplated knocking on the door of a random house.. feared the rejection would stop from making it home.  I did make it.. barely.

--Marcus

2012-05-01 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4184505

otisbrown - 2012-05-01 4:25 PM

stephsprint - 2012-05-01 1:06 PM 
Not to be a downer, but flip turns aren't really the best thing for tri-swimming. You swim less and there are no walls in the open water to push off of. A flip turn is cool though. I usually eat half a Power Bar and some coffee. (coffee helps assure poopage) Sometimes I'll have a gel 5 mins before the start.

That is one reason I held off from trying them for so long.  I need to know that extra breath I get when I do an open turn is not helping me catch my breath.  I have found at times when I get more tired I naturally pause during the turn.  I figured I would give it a go for a bit and can always go back.

--Marcus

The only time I tried flip turns my googles came off.Embarassed

1.5K straight through in the pool today!!! So when I get to the end of the lane I used to touch the deck and turn around. Now I get to the end, tread water as I turn around, and lightly touch the wall with my feet with the least amount of push off. Also went 40 mins on the stationary bike today.  

Anyone else get "competitive" against unsuspecting users of the pool/track/road? Such as other runners, walkers, bike riders, and swimmers in the lane next to you. For examples: A few weeks ago I was doing a 10mi LSD run at the park. Our local highschool baseball team was warming up for a game and one of the kids decides to run a fast mile on the track. He starts in about 100yds ahead of me on mile 8. I chased him down and was on his heels by the time he pulled off---Today I was into  1200 yards in the pool when some kid starts doing fast laps in the lane next to me. I stayed with him for two laps until he paused to talk to his GF. These moments always seem to break away from the intended workout of the day, but I try to think of them as race practice. But the other people never have any clue that I want to race them. I also like chasing down and passing old ladies walking their dogs. Makes me feel fastLaughing  

2012-05-01 7:18 PM
in reply to: #4184574

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
skibummer - 2012-05-01 4:47 PM 

The only time I tried flip turns my googles came off.Embarassed

1.5K straight through in the pool today!!! So when I get to the end of the lane I used to touch the deck and turn around. Now I get to the end, tread water as I turn around, and lightly touch the wall with my feet with the least amount of push off. Also went 40 mins on the stationary bike today.  

Anyone else get "competitive" against unsuspecting users of the pool/track/road? Such as other runners, walkers, bike riders, and swimmers in the lane next to you. For examples: A few weeks ago I was doing a 10mi LSD run at the park. Our local highschool baseball team was warming up for a game and one of the kids decides to run a fast mile on the track. He starts in about 100yds ahead of me on mile 8. I chased him down and was on his heels by the time he pulled off---Today I was into  1200 yards in the pool when some kid starts doing fast laps in the lane next to me. I stayed with him for two laps until he paused to talk to his GF. These moments always seem to break away from the intended workout of the day, but I try to think of them as race practice. But the other people never have any clue that I want to race them. I also like chasing down and passing old ladies walking their dogs. Makes me feel fastLaughing  

Nicely done on the swim.

Yes, I race any and everyone, little kids, dogs old ladies with walkers... its on! Laughing

Sadly, I seldom win in the pool.. usually end up with .. there she goes passing me again.. is she doing a back stroke?? damm she is like 80..  Surprised

Some of the runs I do is in a loop. When I pass someone head on  I try to make sure I cover more than 1/2 before I see them again. 

--Marcus

2012-05-01 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy tri-shorts online?

Thanks

Marcus

2012-05-01 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4184962

Veteran

I also like chasing down and passing old ladies walking their dogs. Makes me feel fastLaughing  

Yes, I race any and everyone old ladies with walkers... its on! Laughing

Sadly, I seldom win in the pool.. usually end up with .. there she goes passing me again.. is she doing a back stroke?? damm she is like 80..  Surprised

-----------

LOL!!  You crack me up!!!

Edited by Threejs 2012-05-01 9:28 PM
2012-05-02 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4185015

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
otisbrown - 2012-05-01 8:46 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy tri-shorts online?

Thanks

Marcus

www.all3sports.com

and of course, amazon.

2012-05-02 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
SHOPPING

www.trivillage.com

www.swimoutlet.com

www.all3sports.com

GOOD SITE FOR CALCULATING YOUR PACING FOR ALL 3 SPORTS:

www.tricalc3.com - I like this one a lot.

FUN SITE TO BUILD YOUR OWN BICYCLE - MINE IS BLACK WITH FLAMES. AND CAME TO AROUND $11K. HA HA HA HA!

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/collections/custom_project_one/
2012-05-02 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4182473

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
oak73 - 2012-04-30 9:20 PM

Well they just posted the offical results to the race I just ran in.  I was wrong.  I thought the clock said 44:01 when I crossed the finish line, but they have me listed as 44:24...must of been the lack of oxygen lol.  Anyways I placed 180th over all and 9th in my age group.  Again my place doesnt matter...I had two goals and I accomplished them...first was to finish, second was to do it in 50 minutes.  Im glad my first race was such a success...can't wait for more.

Sometimes it takes a while to cross the start. The fast people are in the front. So you must have crossed the start line 23 seconds after the gun went off. The 'chip time' as they call it is the accurate time.

You killed it.
2012-05-02 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

ARTICLE FROM THIS SITE (BT) ON BEGINNER BIKE ESSENTIALS.

One thing you'll notice is that everybody has opinions on how to do everything in Triathlon. Please don't forget that THIS SITE is very very very good. Perusing the articles and contact the experts on here is great. If you hear 3 different things.. one from me, one from a friend and one from the experts on here... go with the experts!!

Also, the coaching on here is good. If you don't have access to one locally, I think it's only 25 bucks a month on here and it's great, you can ask anything.. and you get your own little thread with your coach. I did it for about 6 months. Worth every penny.
2012-05-03 6:40 AM

So today is my swim day and I am looking forward to it! I have really learned to enjoy this and like the challenge its presenting. I also see so much talk these days over the garmin gear things 910 ?? SO i went looking woow!That seems so cool, and i think it could be helpful. I would love to be able to tell how fast i was running during a race as not to out wind myself. However that is a steep price to say these least! I will put it on my xmas list thoughCool I am going to get my clip on my bike today and am pretty excited. Tomorrow will be an easy run hopefully.  I will be swimming in the river in June do you guys think i need reflective googles for that ? Thanks 
2012-05-03 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Finally got back in the pool this morning. I overslept and was going to go later which nevers happens. I forced myself out the door even though I knew I had to cut it short.

4x100
4x50
Total - 600 yards

I must be the slowest swimmer in the world. It took me 24 minutes to complete 600 yards. The old lady in my lady was just cruising by!
I hope if I keep at it, it will get better.

2012-05-03 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4187690

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2012-05-03 8:15 AM

Finally got back in the pool this morning. I overslept and was going to go later which nevers happens. I forced myself out the door even though I knew I had to cut it short.

4x100
4x50
Total - 600 yards

I must be the slowest swimmer in the world. It took me 24 minutes to complete 600 yards. The old lady in my lady was just cruising by!
I hope if I keep at it, it will get better.

Hee hee hee! as long as you are efficient. How many strokes per 25 yards?
2012-05-03 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4187653

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
erin1621 - 2012-05-03 7:40 AM

So today is my swim day and I am looking forward to it! I have really learned to enjoy this and like the challenge its presenting. I also see so much talk these days over the garmin gear things 910 ?? SO i went looking woow!That seems so cool, and i think it could be helpful. I would love to be able to tell how fast i was running during a race as not to out wind myself. However that is a steep price to say these least! I will put it on my xmas list thoughCool I am going to get my clip on my bike today and am pretty excited. Tomorrow will be an easy run hopefully.  I will be swimming in the river in June do you guys think i need reflective googles for that ? Thanks 

Wow, cool! reflective goggles?
2012-05-03 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I used my new swim watch. WOW, I love it!

Now I know just how slow and inefficient I am!! Seriously though, I think this will help me as I can try different things and see if they actually work.

On 3 sets of 100 yards I was average once, and above average twice!
2012-05-03 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: More Calculators
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45