BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-05-04 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4189663

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"-OPEN
quincyf - 2012-05-03 11:09 PM

Happy Thursday evening everyone...just wanted to point out that drinks and appetizers are in the fridge. Feel free to help yourselves...Dave is going to be bonding with VeeBones and I'm hosting my FIL's Big Fat Polish 70th birthday this weekend, so it's not that we don't love you and we'll be back soon. Actually I am totally speaking out of turn for Dave, but I know from Eileen's Facebook status that they are all up in a tizzy on the north shore. SO EXCITED for you guys!

Also, I've been feeling bad about Shelly, Jacki, and Sarah and the OWS thing. Dave can tell you guys I have asked numerous BT "experts" to come on and give the group a Q&A and for some reason everyone says yes, then bails out. I don't know why but it's happened like 3 times!!! It is the ONE thing I am not a complete and awesome expert on. Kidding. Sort of. Not really. Actually, its more that I have nothing to relate it to because I have zero panic issues in the water and what am I going to add to the conversation? Except to sound like a superior boob. Sorry.

That being said, I am SO sorry I haven't been more helpful to you guys. It's a serious barrier to enjoyment of our sport and there simply has to be an answer. I haven't answered much on it because I am so befuddled on how to help you guys. I can say these things with certainty though. 

-It is real. No matter the cause, a panic attack is terrifying and I salute you all for wanting to get back in the water after having one.

-It probably has different causes for different people. I believe the wetsuit is a major contributor for some, and I believe the race day push to GO FASTER is also a major contributor. I also think that of all three sports we work on, swimming is the least natural and the one that needs the most time to feel comfortable, yet in modern life, learning how to swim has become very unnnatural. Instead of just hopping into a lake or a river or the ocean, we have swimming pools and structured swim classes and it's all very sterile...so we go to class, get declared swimmers and 30 years later, we have midlife crises, do a triathlon, and...panic.

-It is worth figuring out. Having a fitness hobby is genius. Having a fitness hobby that allows you 3 very different modes of training is beyond genius. 

Hang in there girls, maybe we'll figure something out yet!

Regards,

Q

Q,
Please don't feel bad on my account. I know how hard you've tried and I appreciate it. As I said in my post to Tom, I'm pretty sure what my issues are. I just need more OWS practice. I'm certainly not going to let it stop me from racing. I know I can get through the swim even if I am slow. But I really think each time will get better. I can't wait for my next tri because it's OWS but only chest deep so you can stand if you need to. I don't plan to stand but I'm interested to see if I have any issues or not. I swam over 1000m at the beach the day before my last tri without an ounce of difficulty and non stop but the water was never over my head. So I'm curious to see if it's the same in a race situation.
Maybe I need Sarah to probe into my psyche-lol.
Shelly

2012-05-04 11:43 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Expert
Hammond
Well there's one small problem with this challenge and monitoring your resting heart rate- an alarm clock that goes off at 04:30am. As you can see on my log today- my rhr was significantly higher. That's because on the days I work I have to get up at 04:30 and since I don't usually get in bed before MN, I am in a dead sleep when the alarm goes off. It sets my heart racing. Sooo I'm only going to say that I'm glad we get points just for taking it- lol.

Shelly
2012-05-05 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4180081

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mjh1975 - 2012-04-29 8:57 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-04-29 11:18 AM

mjh1975 - 2012-04-28 5:30 PM Happy Saturday everyone! T minus 8 days till my first Half Marathon. I think I'm actually ready.

Matt- I'm having flash backs while replying to that race.  Its a perfect half mary to be the first  (was mine as well)  We had perfect weather for ours  hoping yours will be the same.    After finishing, I stayed on cheering others on as they finished.  it was a great memory. 

How is that drumming coming along?

Evening Dave. I'm hopeful the rain and cold stays away on Sunday. It's looks like we are going to flirt with interesting (cruddy) weather.

MATT!!!  I just ran a 2 miler with Bones. In a wonderful low 50's mist    Was thinking about your half mary tomorrow and how perfect that would be.     Enjoy your race tomorrow!  *and the race points that goes with it!!

2012-05-05 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4191907

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

fitmomma2010 - 2012-05-04 11:43 PM Well there's one small problem with this challenge and monitoring your resting heart rate- an alarm clock that goes off at 04:30am. As you can see on my log today- my rhr was significantly higher. That's because on the days I work I have to get up at 04:30 and since I don't usually get in bed before MN, I am in a dead sleep when the alarm goes off. It sets my heart racing. Sooo I'm only going to say that I'm glad we get points just for taking it- lol. Shelly

Shelly-  YES!  you get the points just for taking it.     But you know that fancy garmin you have?    wouldn't it be interesting to see what your resting heart rate is  WHILE you are sleeping?   You can do that if you want.    I've tried that before On my Garmin 405   It will even create a graph for you.   See if you can set yours to do that. 

2012-05-05 3:51 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Training dilemma this week.  My training plan looks like this:

Mon - bike 45 min

Tue - run 30 min, swim (I do an extreme fitness class that includes swimming)

Wed - bike an hour

Thur - run 30, swim class

Fri - off

Saturday - run 1:45

Sunday - bike 3 hours

Two problems.  I have a Sprint Sunday which is a B race plus I'll be out of town on business Thur-Sat AM.  So here is what I'm thinking.

Mon - bike 45 min

Wed - bike an hour, run 1:45

Thur - off (long travel day plus out on business dinner at night)

Fri - run 30 min

Saturday - off

Sunday - Sprint tri in the AM, bike 2 hours after the race (or drink beer after race)

Similar dilemma next weekend with an Oly on Sunday but hopefully no travel.

Thoughts?

2012-05-05 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4192450

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ransick - 2012-05-05 3:51 PM

Mon - bike 45 min

Wed - bike an hour

Fri - off

Sunday - bike 3 hours

Two problems.  I have a Sprint Sunday which is a B race plus I'll be out of town on business Thur-Sat AM.  So here is what I'm thinking.

Mon - bike 45 min

Fri - run 30 min

Saturday - off

Sunday - Sprint tri in the AM, bike 2 hours after the race (or drink beer after race)

Thoughts?

Mike-  I like your modified plan.  For the most part...  I'd cut that run down to an hour and make sure its easy on Wednesday.     Then race like Hell on Sunday and tell myself it's an "A" race, and then ENJOY the rest of the day, and drink beer!         

Heck I might even add "Beer night" the night BEFORE the race!  Ok not smart, But Ya I have done that more than a few times.   (sometimes a non issue interestingly.  Other times pretty much an issue)

The following week with no travel,  I would skip the added run on Wednesday but then add back the run/swim like your plan shows for Thursday.  (easy on the run)

2012-05-05 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4192864

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-05-05 9:23 PM
ransick - 2012-05-05 3:51 PM

Mon - bike 45 min

Wed - bike an hour

Fri - off

Sunday - bike 3 hours

Mon - bike 45 min

Fri - run 30 min

Saturday - off

Thoughts?

Mike-  I like your modified plan.  For the most part...  I'd cut that run down to an hour and make sure its easy on Wednesday.     Then race like Hell on Sunday and tell myself it's an "A" race, and then ENJOY the rest of the day, and drink beer!         

Heck I might even add "Beer night" the night BEFORE the race!  Ok not smart, But Ya I have done that more than a few times.   (sometimes a non issue interestingly.  Other times pretty much an issue)

The following week with no travel,  I would skip the added run on Wednesday but then add back the run/swim like your plan shows for Thursday.  (easy on the run)

Thanks!  Beer the night before is a given.  My good friend and neighbor is having a graduation party for his daughter.  I've raced with no beer for a few days before and didn't feel any better or faster than if I had several beers the night before.

I might race like hell, do an easy ride afterward then drink beer :-).

2012-05-05 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi all.  I have a race report...kind of!  Today was the 500 Festival Half Marathon here in Indy.  A race I've done many times.  Too many times, b/c I'm past the point of wanting to pay $80 to run with 35,000 other people who mostly get in my way and slow me down.

Soooo...last year I started the Annual Jacki Personal Half on the Day of the 500 Festival Half.  Happy to report I had a great run and I'm really happy with my time!  1:56:30.  Not a PR, but very good for me since I haven't really been focused on my running lately.  Felt really good...even the last few miles. 

That's race #2 checked off my calendar for this season.  One Tri down and one half mary down.

It's been a big day for the fam.  Did the run this morning, watched the youngest spawn score 3 goals in her soccer game, then got her and the rest of the gang dolled up for her First Communion, all while celebrating the 14th Anniversary of meeting DH at the Kentucky Derby on May 5, 1998!  Wow...what a day!! 

Jacki

2012-05-05 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4192886

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2012-05-05 9:48 PM

Hi all.  I have a race report...kind of!  Today was the 500 Festival Half Marathon here in Indy.  A race I've done many times.  Too many times, b/c I'm past the point of wanting to pay $80 to run with 35,000 other people who mostly get in my way and slow me down.

Soooo...last year I started the Annual Jacki Personal Half on the Day of the 500 Festival Half.  Happy to report I had a great run and I'm really happy with my time!  1:56:30.  Not a PR, but very good for me since I haven't really been focused on my running lately.  Felt really good...even the last few miles. 

That's race #2 checked off my calendar for this season.  One Tri down and one half mary down.

It's been a big day for the fam.  Did the run this morning, watched the youngest spawn score 3 goals in her soccer game, then got her and the rest of the gang dolled up for her First Communion, all while celebrating the 14th Anniversary of meeting DH at the Kentucky Derby on May 5, 1998!  Wow...what a day!! 

Jacki

Just a quick response right now as am off to bed. Congrats on your race. Will say more tomorrow. You met your husband at the Kentucky Derby? Wow bet thats a great story. Do tell!
2012-05-05 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Random Thoughts by Jacki on Panic Attacks While Swimming in Races

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice from everyone.  I don't think my issues come from a fear of water or drowning or anything like that.  I think it has something to do with the breathing and how you have to think about it and plan it and it's very unnatural for me.  When I'm having the panic, my chest feels like it's going to explode.  When I'm doing a training swim, I get a tiny bit of that feeling, but I can talk myself out of it pretty quickly by focusing on slow, rhythmic breathing.  That's why I swim so slowly, even when I'm not panicking.  Because I have to focus on the breathing so I don't hyperventilate.  But, I talk myself down quickly and easily when i'm training.  Something about the race day swimming scenario has kept me from being able to calm myself down.

Here's a good way to describe the actual panic attack.  You guys remember Bewitched?  Remember Samantha's wicked cousin Sabrina who was a real bi*$h?  It's like I have a wicked cousin or evil twin who comes out of me when I'm swimming in a race.  She stands there and says "I Can't Do This...I Can't Do This".  That is so not like me in any aspect of my life!  But that voice is so loud and it keeps me from talking myself down from the panic.

It's so wierd and I'm such a head case!  But, I did see a glimmer of hope in that Tri I did last month.  Really, for the first 25 or so meters, I was fine.  I thought for a few seconds that I was going to get through the swim without pancking.  Then, I saw people in front of me, realized where I was, and before I knew it, my evil twin reared her ugly head and shouted "I CAN'T DO IT!".  I really need to do another race!  Next one on the schedule is June 9.  I don't think I'll be able to work another one in my schedule between now and then...but I'm going to do it, dang it!

Hopefully all this talk and analysis will help me shut up my evil twin!

2012-05-05 10:15 PM
in reply to: #4192886

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2012-05-05 9:48 PM

Jacki

Sounds like a great day for sure!  Congrats on your run.  I did a half ironman from my house last year for similar reasons.

2012-05-06 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4130725

Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"

Greetings,

I am an absolute newby and need plenty of help and encouragement. I will post a bio and training info. if you accept me.

Thanks, Barry

2012-05-07 6:37 AM
in reply to: #4192904

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2012-05-05 11:05 PM

Random Thoughts by Jacki on Panic Attacks While Swimming in Races

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice from everyone.  I don't think my issues come from a fear of water or drowning or anything like that.  I think it has something to do with the breathing and how you have to think about it and plan it and it's very unnatural for me.  When I'm having the panic, my chest feels like it's going to explode.  When I'm doing a training swim, I get a tiny bit of that feeling, but I can talk myself out of it pretty quickly by focusing on slow, rhythmic breathing.  That's why I swim so slowly, even when I'm not panicking.  Because I have to focus on the breathing so I don't hyperventilate.  But, I talk myself down quickly and easily when i'm training.  Something about the race day swimming scenario has kept me from being able to calm myself down.

Here's a good way to describe the actual panic attack.  You guys remember Bewitched?  Remember Samantha's wicked cousin Sabrina who was a real bi*$h?  It's like I have a wicked cousin or evil twin who comes out of me when I'm swimming in a race.  She stands there and says "I Can't Do This...I Can't Do This".  That is so not like me in any aspect of my life!  But that voice is so loud and it keeps me from talking myself down from the panic.

It's so wierd and I'm such a head case!  But, I did see a glimmer of hope in that Tri I did last month.  Really, for the first 25 or so meters, I was fine.  I thought for a few seconds that I was going to get through the swim without pancking.  Then, I saw people in front of me, realized where I was, and before I knew it, my evil twin reared her ugly head and shouted "I CAN'T DO IT!".  I really need to do another race!  Next one on the schedule is June 9.  I don't think I'll be able to work another one in my schedule between now and then...but I'm going to do it, dang it!

Hopefully all this talk and analysis will help me shut up my evil twin!

Evil twin eh? You need to respond to her 'maybe you can't do it but I can, I've been training, so shut tfu!!' easier said than done I know, I have nothing helpful to add but I know you can conquer this!!!!
2012-05-07 6:43 AM

User image

Veteran
So the week started off ok with training then I had clients in from out of town thurs-Sunday and it went all downhill. The good news is I sold two houses The bad news is I'm still feeling a lot of tightness in my calf and discomfort in my shin/foot. I think I need to at least get an X-ray if not MRI to rule out stress fracture before trying to push through it. I'm very nervous since I have the 3 mile warrior dash on may 19th and a sprint tri the next day (don't know what I was thinking when I booked those) the tri is suppose to be very hilly so I need to get out on my bike and practice at least 3 times this week and next if I'm going to have any chance completing it. Happy Monday all!
2012-05-07 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

UGHH!! I just got back from a house hunting trip in Mississippi. I haven't done one bit of exercise since Wednesday, and I have eaten my weight in fried seafood!! I just had a chance to look through all the recent posts. I appreciate everyone trying to help out on the swim panic issues. I think if we all keep brainstorming, and trying different techniques we'll get there!! I too have quite a background in OWS (not racing). I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I am a certified OW rescue diver...it makes my panic issues that much worse!! I'm thinking that my main issues are the wetsuit constriction, and the adrenaline surge at the beginning of the race, which increase my heart rate and respirations before I even get into the water, then the cold water shock which elevates them further. Combine all that and it leaves little room for controlled breathing. My next plan is to do a reverse sprint in a couple weeks, which ends with a pool swim. Obviously I will be more tired for the swim, but hopefully my adrenaline will be normalized by then, which will at least allow me to control my breathing. I'll let you know how it goes!!

I'm not starting out too well on our competition!! At least I took my RHR every morning!! That was the extent of my physical exertion!!

2012-05-07 9:13 AM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago

Good morning everyone!  Well, the first Half Marathon is behind me, but I am through it. It was an awesome day weather wise at mid-60's slight breeze and sun.  Had a PR at 2:03!  Not much else I guess to report outside of some sore knees today. 

I hope that everyone is doing well.

2012-05-07 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

barrykristi - 2012-05-06  10:06 PM

Greetings,

I am an absolute newby and need plenty of help and encouragement. I will post a bio and training info. if you accept me.

Thanks, Barry

Absolutely Barry!   Welcome to the Mys-tri Tour!  

DO you play an instrument? ?  can you sing?   ok not totally necessary.

Few rules here:

No double dipping the chip-  Dude its like putting your whole FACE into the dip.   NOT COOL!  ok?

There is some other rule, but I forgot what it was.    Please go back and read much of the thread.  There actually is good information amongst all of our silly fun stuff.  

No worries about being a complete newby and wanting support.   We were all there.  And we still need support/encouragement.     and PLEASE  ask questions, it helps the whole group.     I went ahead and added your name to the tour list in Chantay's spot as it looks like she went AWOL     Perhaps she is swimming in a fjord somewhere.   Hope she is ok.   (Chantay -it's all good if you want back in.)

Magical Mys-Tri Tour  "The Sequel" 

*= One Tour, **=Two Tours

* Sarah-sarah73  * Barry-barrykristi  * Mike-ransick * Rob-Turner100

** Matt-mjh1975 ** Shelly-FitMomma2010 * Alicia-Trirun26 * TJ-Lesandtj

** Yvonne-Ybeal ** Todd-trei ** Jacki-DaDooRunRun ** Tom-TLakatos1259

** Dave-oriolepwr**  Quincy-quincyf

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-05-07 9:19 AM
2012-05-07 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Barry,

This pic pretty much sums up most of what we have discussed so far....   Please post your bio

2012-05-07 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4194592

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mjh1975 - 2012-05-07 9:13 AM

Good morning everyone!  Well, the first Half Marathon is behind me, but I am through it. It was an awesome day weather wise at mid-60's slight breeze and sun.  Had a PR at 2:03!  Not much else I guess to report outside of some sore knees today. 

Congrats Matt!  do they still have that silly little run around a circle thing as part of  the course?      I pretty much liekd the course  straight out and back basically.

SO what's your next event?

2012-05-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4194712

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
oriolepwr - 2012-05-07 9:47 AM

Congrats Matt!  do they still have that silly little run around a circle thing as part of  the course?      I pretty much liekd the course  straight out and back basically.

SO what's your next event?

Thanks Dave!  They do still have the turn around in the parking lot at Rte 83 and Archer which was a bit odd as it is somewhat a tight spot, but a fun race overall. 

Next for me is Batavia Tri in June.  Still searching for an event in July though.

2012-05-07 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

OK, time for an update.....

Much has happened since I joined the tour. First things first. I decided, somewhat reluctantly, to run the half marathon instead of the full. I have the unexplainable urge to run a full marathon. But I am learning to accept the fact that I need to be patient and allow my body to catch up to my goals.  My longest run to date is 10 miles. That was two weeks ago. I feel confident that I can add 3 more miles to that without dying. <--- That is quite a statement if you knew me a couple of years ago.

So now I can add in more cycling without the fear of sabotaging my running. Also, I have some pains that I hope will subside with less running. I think one may be a ?metatarsal issue. Honestly I think I am trying to avoid the injury issue altogether. I am afraid if I stop that I may not start again................... It sounds stupid when you type it out like that. 

Guess I need to go to the doctor huh? Frown

I feel like this is an AA meeting....

"My name is TJ, and I have an injury."

Ugh, How do you know when you need to just harden up vs seek medical attention?

2012-05-07 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
mjh1975 - 2012-05-07 10:13 AM

Way to GO!  May the Legs be with You!

Sounds like you KNEED a massage

Edited by TLakatos1259 2012-05-07 11:01 AM
2012-05-07 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Today and last weeks question.

Last week I asked if anyone has rented a wetsuit and comments about doing so.

Does anyone train with a swim cap? pros/cons  latex vs. silicon  I'm not allergic to latex. 

Tom

2012-05-07 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4194947

User image

Master
St. Louis
TLakatos1259 - 2012-05-07 11:05 AM

Today and last weeks question.

Last week I asked if anyone has rented a wetsuit and comments about doing so.

Does anyone train with a swim cap? pros/cons  latex vs. silicon  I'm not allergic to latex. 

Tom

Sorry I can't help.  I've never rented a wet suit.  I don't swim with a swim cap either but can see how it would be beneficial to get use to it.  I bought a silicon one just because it seemed nicer.

2012-05-07 12:34 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Congrats on the PR!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51