Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2012-10-27 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4471673

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Fast Twitch Tri-FULL
I have been wondering the same!  Would love to hear more thoughts on what an appropriate time/distance for a long ride would be if you're training for sprints.

2012-10-27 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4471717

User image

Champion

SAMANTHA -

Thinking more about what I posted on this topic this morning, I'd say that if the race is an "A"-priority one in which you are looking to podium or PR or place overall as high as you can, then you should spend the training time on (a) working on overall speed/pace, and (b) trying to simulate the course's features in your training rides, at least some of them. 

For the latter:

• If it's a hilly course, then hit the hills and work at "spinning small circles" along with judicious use of getting out of the saddle;
  • if it's technical, go somewhere where you play at cornering;
  • if rollers, work at pushing hard on the pre-roller flats so you have maximum momentum hitting the incline

For the former, I'll just go back to what i said in the other post which is that for me, I get big benefits from doing the race distance as training rides at tempo -- which I view as race pace for the entire ride.  But if you haven't done that before, or not much of it, try various "surges" at race-pace or faster, and here a surge can be whatever your body and lungs can handle.  One way to do this is take a 45-minute ride and spend 10' as warm-up, 10' at pace, 5' slightly less, 10' back at pace, and then a 1-' cool-down.  The premutations on that are kind of endless, but over time you will find that you can reduce the w-u, slower-tan, and c-d phases....until you hope on the bike and bury yopurself for the entire 20km training ride!

With a goal of sprints, well, this is just the perfect setting for working at a speed foci.  And even when I was more of a half-iron guy, my speed efforts were always way short(er) -- more geared to what has served me well as I have morphed into short-course emphases.   But for you looking at getting good at sprints, it all ties together so very nicely! 

2012-10-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4471625

New user
stevebradley - 2012-10-27 9:45 AM

WAYNE -

That's incredible to "miss" a distance by so much.  Now, I'm a technological dunderhead and do not even remotely understand GPs.......but my wobbly understanding is that it's kind of hard to miss on, especially on land.  Thousands of people have spent hundreds of dollars on Garmin-type stuff in a quest for exactitude in their training, so it seems that RDs can and should get pretty close to advertised distances.

It was surprising.  I was thinking of running it but decided it was too soon for any improvements.  I had mapped it via MapMyRun as best I could from the description, and I just couldn't get it to come out right.  The description kept saying "over the bridge", but if I did that it was long.  And it was long.  Doh!

I'm pretty sure the run in the Ameliaman sprint was 3.0 instead of 3.1.  Some of the info said 5K or 3.1 mile and some said 3 miles.  My time looked more like 3.0 and a few others thought the same thing.

Sorry to hear about your "almost PR" in the HIM.

You're right about viewing times as "slow" if they are "not even remotely competitive", and that opens up a whole new outlook on our goals and our training and our performances.  For you, there are two intersecting lines (this might've been waht MATT was suggesting about a week ago), and those are the improvements you will make over the next however-many years with consistent training, and the fact that as you continue to age you will find your times edging closer and closer to being competitive.  How old are you now?  (I will search back to your bio for that info.)

I'm 47, 48 in January.

I'd really like to be able to do the Peactree 10K in 8 m/m next year.  There are so pretty good hills and some years it's hot and humid.  So, some of it will be weather dependent, but most of it will be me continuing to work on my running.

My other running goal for next year is to break 7 m/m in a 5K.  Never really run this much before, so I don't know if that's a right-sized goal or not.  As in, am I asking for too little or not enough?  I don't know.  I expect to keep getting faster for some time, but have no idea what the rate of increase will be.  I know it won't be as big as this year as I was starting out fresh again.  So far I've knocked off over a minute a mile in a 5K.  Not the same one, so the terrain could be part of it as the fast pace was on a _very_ flat course.

I also don't know what I should shoot for in swimming.  Right now I'm doing 2:10/100 yd for 500-800 yd distances in a pool, no flip turns (haven't done one of those in over 30 years).   I can get down under 1:50 for 100 yd sprint, but then I need some significant recovery time.  I need to get set-up with a local masters swim team to get some help.

I'm thinking I can get to 23 mph for a sprint distance next year on a flat course, something coastal.  I may back off the biking a bit during the winter to focus more on the running and swimming.  I can pick the bike back up quickly once the weather warms up.  And my running and swimming need more improvements than my biking.
2012-10-27 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4471815

User image

Expert
MI

Okay, so question... all winter I'll be on the stationary bike, so I won't be able to judge speed or any sort.  But, I will be able to monitor my heart rate since that is on the machine.  So I feel in this case, it'd be best to do my workouts based on HR?  But, I don't usually train by HR so I don't really know how to train based on it.  How should I judge what my HR should be for any given workout?  In the past when I've been on the stationary, I have come up with an arbitrary number to stay above... say, making it a goal to keep my HR at 150+ etc as I felt that forced me to put in a good amount of effort.  I wonder if the best way to figure out what HR to be at is just getting a feel by effort of what type of HR may be a good goal...? 

Thinking back to this past summer, I feel like I rarely truly pushed it during any of my bike rides.  So that's something I'd like to work towards!

2012-10-27 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4471262

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
stevebradley - 2012-10-26 6:31 PM

TIFFANY -

Now I'm the late responder!

Many thanks for all of the background information on where you are, and have been, concerning anxiety and preformance expectations.  I can't remember what all I siad in my large post to you, but I'll say now that while I have never really had problems with anxiety, I sure struggle at times with performance expectations.  And in areas of my life outside triathlon, I have had problems in finding it easier to not start something, then to start it and risk failure. 

At the risk of telling you something you maybe already know, you'd be surprised at how many elite and pro traithletes get reduced to walking part of a run in a huge race.  I have certainly seen it at longer distances (half-iron and iron), but also last year, watching an ITU Olympics-qualifier race in Buffalo, I saw several guys walking on the 10km run.  It just points out that none of us are bionic, and we can all make pacing mistakes, or have a poor day witth nutrition, or just go through rough patches in which the wheels essentially all fall off.

Beyond that, i'll tell you that what just happened to me a few weeks ago at an oly in Virginia.  Now, i swim a ton, and this season had me do OVER 80 open water swims.  I LIVE for these, and I have virtually no fear of any water, unless it is full of large vicious snakes or something.   the swim was announced as non-wetsuit, which is a downer for me but not a deal-breaker.  i wore a swim skin over my tri stuff, and felt great in a 5-10minute easy warm-up swim.  The horn went and I started off just fine, feeeling good and all.......and then about a minute into it, I couldn't control my breathing.  Or, rather, I felt my breathing was fine, but I was also feeling breathless.  I gots all angsty about this for another bunch of seconds ---- and then wnet to breatstroke for maybe twn strokes.  then it was back to freestsyle, and it happened again -- and it was another short stint of breast.  During this one I saw a guy about 20 yeards ahead of me and close to shore, and he was walking in knee-deep water.  I started in again, and once more it happened, except thsi time I swim over to where it was shallow and walked for about 20 seconds ( the USAT rule is that one can walk on the seim as long as theya re in contact with the water).  I then resumed swimming, and the rest of the swim was like 99.999% of my OWS -- all freestyle, no problems.

I can tell you, though, that I felt terrible falling apart like that, just being humbly reduced to breats and -- gasp! -- walking the shallows.  But that is all just a case of false pride, and i got through it by telling myself what I truly know -- that sometimes stuff happens.  There may or may not be a clear sign as to WHY a aprticular episode of stuff has ahppened, but the bottom line is that it requires swallowing my pride and doing what needs to be done to make it to the other side. 

I can also tell you tales about when I have had to walk on a run, and that is also humbling and humiliating -- until I realize that something has gone wrong, and walking is what I have to do.  The places where this has gotten me most often is HIM and IM -- but once a few years ago on a 4.2-mile run in a sprint-oly "hybrid", I had to stop THREE times on that run and walk a bit.  And damned if I know why; still haven't figured it out!

It really helps, though, to know that far better people than I am have been in those same spots..........and I just wonder if that knowledge will help you ease up on yourself when you feel the need to do breatstroke for a brief spell, or get off the bike, or walk part of the run.  You are quite new to this stuff and are still working through all the ins and outs of pacing and how to handle your least-favorite race-day weather and what to eat/drink and when, so it makes sense to me that you will face struggles that put you into a place you don't want to enter.  The good news is that (a) you will come out of that palce, and (b) no one is really noticing but you, and (c) that THE best learning experiences from racing are those that are born from adversity.

Let me post this before it etherizes,a nd I'll be back soon!

I really appreciate this post.  I had a disappointing 10k race this morning.  My fault really, but I'm still so new to running / tri-ing that I make a lot of mistakes.  I finished, but with a poor time.

It's really kind of motivated me to focus on good training and make some adjustments ahead.  Again, this was really helpful and encouraging to me.

Thanks.

Joe

2012-10-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4471533

New user
stevebradley - 2012-10-27 7:29 AM

If the absolute ONLY thing I am doing in my training is working towards my next important race, i will never go much longer than the distances of that race.  So if it's a conventional oly of 1500/40/10, I would maybe do my longest efforts at 1750/45/11, give or take -- and precious few at those distances.

Why not much over the full distance?  The longer the race the more that makes sense; why go more nuts for a full IM.  I'm just starting back, and not really following a plan, but I'm going much further than the sprint distances.  I've missed a bunch of long rides recently, but I was doing 30+ miles.  I'll go shorter when I do a brick, but that's also a function of how much time I have when I drop my daughter off at tennis practice.  My long runs are 8-10 miles.  For swimming I do sets of 500 yd and some days I'll do 700 - 1,000 yd non-stop, largely just to reinforce to myself that I _really_ can do 400 yd in the race.

I do the long rides largely for getting my body ready for 90 minutes of activity, and I like riding.  The long runs are more to improve my running.

I wear a HRM on all of my bike rides.  It keeps me from "cruising"; slow rides don't help much.  Out on the trail with no other bikes in sight I may not push it as hard without the HRM.  With other bikes in sight (to pass) I go pretty hard.  In a race I find I use it the opposite way, more of a limiter at the upper end instead of lower end.  The HRM will beep at me and I'll look down and see I'm going too hard (176 bpm at one point at Ameliaman) and I'll back off the pace.

I'm asking because I've got a lot to learn about training.  I'm not in my early 20's any more, so I can't just go off of youthful exuberance and beat the snot out of my body and not notice the next day.

2012-10-27 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4471850

waynec - 2012-10-27 3:26 PM

WAYNE -

That's incredible to "miss" a distance by so much.  Now, I'm a technological dunderhead and do not even remotely understand GPs.......but my wobbly understanding is that it's kind of hard to miss on, especially on land.  Thousands of people have spent hundreds of dollars on Garmin-type stuff in a quest for exactitude in their training, so it seems that RDs can and should get pretty close to advertised distances.

It was surprising.  I was thinking of running it but decided it was too soon for any improvements.  I had mapped it via MapMyRun as best I could from the description, and I just couldn't get it to come out right.  The description kept saying "over the bridge", but if I did that it was long.  And it was long.  Doh!

I'm pretty sure the run in the Ameliaman sprint was 3.0 instead of 3.1.  Some of the info said 5K or 3.1 mile and some said 3 miles.  My time looked more like 3.0 and a few others thought the same thing.

Sorry to hear about your "almost PR" in the HIM.

You're right about viewing times as "slow" if they are "not even remotely competitive", and that opens up a whole new outlook on our goals and our training and our performances.  For you, there are two intersecting lines (this might've been waht MATT was suggesting about a week ago), and those are the improvements you will make over the next however-many years with consistent training, and the fact that as you continue to age you will find your times edging closer and closer to being competitive.  How old are you now?  (I will search back to your bio for that info.)

I'm 47, 48 in January.

I'd really like to be able to do the Peactree 10K in 8 m/m next year.  There are so pretty good hills and some years it's hot and humid.  So, some of it will be weather dependent, but most of it will be me continuing to work on my running.

My other running goal for next year is to break 7 m/m in a 5K.  Never really run this much before, so I don't know if that's a right-sized goal or not.  As in, am I asking for too little or not enough?  I don't know.  I expect to keep getting faster for some time, but have no idea what the rate of increase will be.  I know it won't be as big as this year as I was starting out fresh again.  So far I've knocked off over a minute a mile in a 5K.  Not the same one, so the terrain could be part of it as the fast pace was on a _very_ flat course.

I also don't know what I should shoot for in swimming.  Right now I'm doing 2:10/100 yd for 500-800 yd distances in a pool, no flip turns (haven't done one of those in over 30 years).   I can get down under 1:50 for 100 yd sprint, but then I need some significant recovery time.  I need to get set-up with a local masters swim team to get some help.

I'm thinking I can get to 23 mph for a sprint distance next year on a flat course, something coastal.  I may back off the biking a bit during the winter to focus more on the running and swimming.  I can pick the bike back up quickly once the weather warms up.  And my running and swimming need more improvements than my biking.

Wayne,

I'll chime in here because your run goals are very close to what I can currently do. I've been at it for three seasons, but lost the first to injury so really two. I started off terribly slow at running. My first stand alone 5K last fall was 8:30 pace. A couple of months ago I ran 7:03 pace on the same course. I've lost probably 10 pounds between the two races and (knock on wood) stayed healthy and trained all year.

I'd say the 10K goal is definitely easier than the 5K goal pace. I was undertrained for my only 10K and broke 8 minute pace (about 7:45) in that before almost reaching 7:00 minute pace in my 5K -- still haven't quite gotten there. 

Your logs look like you train more volume than I do so endurance should be fine. I saw you had a 5K segment of a sprint tri at about 8:30 pace a couple of weeks ago. That leads me to believe you might be at 7:30-7:45 in a stand alone 5K. I don't see any training paces faster than about 9 minute mile pace recently but it may be due to the fact that you do so many bricks and are running on tired legs or saving something for the bike. Personally I think you are capable of a lot more speed in training runs. 

2012-10-27 11:13 PM
in reply to: #4472152

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'll chime in with some workout duration input, based on my own philosophy.

For the bike, I make sure that I do several of my rides at the duration that I expect the entire tri to take, so if I'm at 2:15 for an Oly tri, my rides will be that long or more for long rides. I'll make sure that it's not just a dawdling pace, too. Hard efforts thrown in. Shorter rides will be at race speed. But I ride almost every day.

Runs can top 8 miles, but mostly around the 10K range. I'll vary the run distance, but I usually only run 3 or 4 max days a week. So a typical week where I'm at 10K target would be one day at 6 miles, one at 8, and one at 4 or 5. Shorter days would have other workouts, longer days likely not.

Swimming... I'll make sure I can do 1.5x the race distance non-stop, but I'm doing it pretty hard. Not quite race speed, but not far off that. Aside from that, most of the swimming will be 200's, concentrating on form. I may do it with a pull buoy, paddles, or just swim it. These would be faster than race pace, with enough rest to be able to maintain the pace for each interval. The thought is to swim more of the distance in perfect form, ingraining it into my muscle memory, so that when I do get tired, it's still there, automatic.

Now all this is aligned with the base -- you need the base to be able to put in the speed without it breaking you down. Same thing here -- I need to know I can do the distance and more before I know I can RACE it on event day. It may be all mental, but that mental part makes all the difference.

2012-10-27 11:42 PM
in reply to: #4471965

User image

Champion

SAMANTHA -

I am a RPE guy, meaning Rating of Perceived Exertion.  I've been strictly this way for 8 or 9 years now, so I'm not the best one to ask about HR.  I'll wait a few beats and see if anyone comes aboard on this topic, and if not i will do what I can, given my probably-sketchy knowledge!

However, for now I will say that what you ahve done in the past seems to be a combination of HR and RPE, with maybe the emphasis on the latter.  As i read your post, you worked until you got to what felt like a good, hard effort...........and then you'd check your HRM...........and see it at 150 or so.  That's not bad for a rough estimate of how HR jives with effort, and you now have a sense that 150 tells you you're working hard.

Two questions:  How long can you keep going at 150?  Did you ever go all-out until you thought you might explode, and then kept it there until you wished you'd explode --- and then checked the HRM?  Let me know, okay?

2012-10-28 12:02 AM
in reply to: #4472030

User image

Champion

JOE -

I'm very pleased that post was helpful, and I think my following one to Tiffany had more tales of my various forays to the Dark Side --- for your edification, perhaps?

Of course, i am sorry that Oracle wasn't what you wanted it to be.  i looked at your RR, and you have a whole bunch of reasons to explain what happened.  all of them are completley viable, and really -- any one of them could upend a race goal, and you battled with three "externals" -- hills, wind, altitude -- along with two "internals", thsoe being sub-max training, and overenthusiastic pacing.

I too am a flatlander, and have to travel some to get to some semblance of hills.  Without some hillwork, a hilly course can be murderous, although that gets better with experience -- which as you say, does NOT apply to you right now. 

As for wind, I find that worse than hills --- and I am "blessed" with being in a windy part of eastern Ontario (picture flat farmlands, with not much to beat down the prevailing westerlies!).  But wind on a race is a cruel trick of fate, and for me it is not something that experience has made me better at.  I try to get smaller, and thus less of a wind target.......but at 6'2" and 170, there's just too much extraneous surface area.

Pacing is a bugger, especially going out too fast.  It can mess up even a wily running veteran, and for someone quite new to running, it can spell the end to hopes for a solid race.  For something like a 10km stand-alone, the first km or mile is critical, and I watch out for that marker like a hawk.  If I am too much faster than my goal pace, i will back off a notch or two just to get kind of "recalibrated", and then pick it up again.  But i spent far too much of my earlier running career seeing that first marker, and looking at my watch, and being thrilled to be on such a scorching pace............only to have the wheels fall off along about mile 5 ( for a 10km).  It really did take me a bunch of races to get over myself and pie-eyed visions of going sub-40 or something.  Slow learner, i was, or maybe just a hopeless optimistist, but whatever --- an initial pace that is too fast is a certified race-wrecker.  Bah!

For you, you learned stuff at Oracle.  It's all part of The Process, and while it's maybe a bit bitter now, I can almsot guarantee that, in a year or two, you will look back at it almost as a rite of passage -- a tough race that you grew from.  Onwards!

2012-10-28 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4472152

User image

Champion

WAYNE -

I guess I just get quite literal about it, and am mostly only concerned about doing whatever the race distance is as fast as i can.  So, it doesn't seem to help me to know that I can do 50km, say, in a certain time, when my upcoming race is 40km.  I may go longer if I just feel like it, for any number of reasons, but mostly I choose not to.  

I know that back in my first few years, i regularly rode (or ran) longer, in big part because I was still exploring those distances.  Not only was I never too certain about how I would feel doing 40km, but I was also interested in longer stuff -- it was all pleasantly terra incognita.  But somewhere along the way it got where there were no mysteries to these distances, so that made it easy to get literal and decide that I would turn them into time-trial efforts -- not all, but as races approached, most of them.

As you describe yourself as "starting back", it makes 100% sense that you would want to explore the outer limits, and so I can see where if you miss 30+ rides, that would represent a loss (or, maybe, a non-gain?).  I certainly felt that way acutely back when, and it was essential to my growth as a triathlete that I went overlong quite often.  At that time, too, I was neither too focused on being highly competive, nor fixed on being a "specialist" at any distance, so everything was wide open. 

I have never loved riding; that's another consideration.  I have a history of sorts with flats, and I am a mechanical moron, so when soemthing happens and I am far from home..........that's not good.  So nowadays, with my focus being more on shorter stuff, I guess I use that as an excuse to ride no longer/furtehr than I think i have to.  And then there's my labrum ("complex degenerative tear" say my MRI results), which can get fractious when i go longer than about 90 minutes.  I CAN push it further, but again -- why bother (is my rationale).

Again, though, how you are doing it makes perfect sense.  I like your comparison of riding and running, referring to doing long rides to get your body ready for 90' of activity, and doing the longer runs just by way of improvement.  The fact that you are doing those at lengths 8-10 miles is superb, speaking really highly of your overall conditioning, and my guess is that you can look at an oly-distance tri and view the 10km run with impunity.  That is one of the essential stages in doing this stuff -- getting the confidence so that certain distances are not intimidating, and are actually really quite attainable. 

You mention bricks, and if you think I'm maybe a bit rigid about going "overlong" with rides and runs...................wait til you learn how I approach bricks!Surprised

Wink

2012-10-28 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4471850

User image

Champion

WAYNE again -

Oops!  I just noticed your post a few above the one I just responded to.  better late than never, I guess!

January b-day?  I'm the 13th; what about you?  The "new" aging-up rules of USAT are mean to us early-in-the-year people.  I liked it so much better back when your race age was the age you were on the day of the race.  (I have a funny story about that, but it can wait.)  The two races I didn't win the a.g. this year were to guys who were 59 on race day, and weren't turning 60 until this fall.  Yeah, yeah, i know it's all arbitrary, and it really doesn't rattle me that much, but still.

I will be 64 in January, and there is an excellent chance that i will be the oldest USAT guy in 60-64.  The a.g. will from Jan 1 '49 to Dec 31 '53.........and there are relatively few 64ers......and the chances are small that there will be another 64er born in the first 12 days of 1949.  I know someone has to be the oldest in the age group........but why me?

ANYHOW, your age wil get you to that point I was taking about the other day -- where your increased training and the slicing of your stand-alone times wil get you much closer, and more quickly, to being competitive.  (See, aging is not without its fringe benefits!)  Seriously, though, it will work that way --- and just wait until you hit 55-59!  That's quite easy compared to even 50-54, which is WAY easier than the crucible that is 45-49.  You might even be able to gleefully celebrate turing 50, all with an eye to an easier age group!

For now, 7 m/m is probably not unreasonable --especially if you can nail the 8 m/m for a 10km.  7 m/m for 5km will hurt, and you'll be in an uncomfortable zone for longer than you want, but it's not unattainable and is worth having out there.  Now, i'm basing that on how close you are to 8 m/m for the 10km goal time, and training for a red-line 5km is a whole other deal than  a steady-hard 10km pace..............but that's part of the fun of this stuff!   Suffering is always an intriguing phenomena, especially how awful it can be at the time --- an dhow quickly post-event the bad parts go away.  So as you eye a red-line 5km, think about how much twisted fun it is to suffer!

Keep in mind the reality of "plateaus" -- that is, periods in which your performance just settles for a while.  These can lead to thoughts of "I've reached my peak", but for you, at your age, I doubt that'll be the case for a while.  I just say that in response to your comment that you don't know what the rate of increase will be in your improvements, and how fast you can get; I suspect you have a decent "upside" to you.  Anyhow, when plateaus come, don't let them make you feel that it's all deterioration from that point on!

I have to split the scene now, but I will try to remember to address your swim thoughts when i return.  In a nutshell, i have never been able to show significant growth as a swimmer, even though it is what i love the best and what I do the most.  Sad but true!FrownCry 

2012-10-28 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4472199

User image

Expert
MI
Yeah I guess I'm mostly RPE- that would be either "easy" or "moderate" for me... although sometimes for swimming and running I would go for goal paces.  Otherwise it's the easy or mod effort just going how I feel on a given day, although biking outside was usually always moderate unless it was an off day.  As for the example I gave for heart rate, that was a couple years ago, and the 150bpm I think I was maintaining for 30 or 40 minutes... but it was awhile ago so I can't really be too certain.. but it was an effort that I felt like I was working.  No, I generally did not go all out, at least that I can recall.. (so I'm going with a no there)
2012-10-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4472158

New user
Hoosierman - 2012-10-27 9:41 PM 

Wayne,

I'll chime in here because your run goals are very close to what I can currently do. I've been at it for three seasons, but lost the first to injury so really two. I started off terribly slow at running. My first stand alone 5K last fall was 8:30 pace. A couple of months ago I ran 7:03 pace on the same course. I've lost probably 10 pounds between the two races and (knock on wood) stayed healthy and trained all year.

While I run every year I haven't run much until this year.  I ran more in the past week than I ran in all of April.  And April would have been a normal training round for me getting ready for the Peachtree 10K in July; i.e. not enough.  My first 5K for this year was on June 2nd: 28:32, 9:12 m/m.  Some rolling hills, but none steep or long.

I've dropped 24 pounds from the beginning of the year.  Thanksgiving to my birthday in Jan always seems to add 5-10 lbs.  I have a serious sweet tooth and love to bake and cook; dangerous combination.  It's been quite some time since I've been this light.

Getting back into shape is my main goal with the triathlons.  Performing well is icing on the cake and fun, but being back at a lighter weight and being in better physical condition is focus.  After that, is getting a good start time for the Peachtree.  I was in Start Group E this year, my daughter was in A.  I've done well enough for C and B is 24:28 for a 5K.  So, my next two 5K goals are break 8 m/m and break 24:28 for a 5K.  I'm aiming for 24:15 as some years they move the qualifying times, so I want some padding in case next year's B time is faster.

Hoosierman - 2012-10-27 9:41 PM 

5K segment of a sprint tri at about 8:30 pace a couple of weeks ago. That leads me to believe you might be at 7:30-7:45 in a stand alone 5K. I don't see any training paces faster than about 9 minute mile pace recently but it may be due to the fact that you do so many bricks and are running on tired legs or saving something for the bike. Personally I think you are capable of a lot more speed in training runs. 

Ah, that tri was the one we think the run was actually 3.0 miles, so my pace was a little slower, but still good for me after a ride.

Maybe I'm running a bit slow in the training runs.  I'm trying to follow the "run a lot and easy" method, maybe I'm going a little too easy.  I've been trying to pick the pace up a bit, especially on short run days (3 miles).  I don't want to push it to the damage point.  Some days after long runs or hard bike rides I feel it in my knees, mostly when I go down stairs.  I don't want to end up damaging them too much.

Part of it is I have never been much of a runner, so I just don't have a good feel for how I'm doing.  I've been out days thinking I was slow and slugging through it and actually running 30-45 seconds/mile faster than normal.  I just don't know how to push it properly.  On a bike I know how it feels.  I may not be as fast as I was in college, but I know where my redline is; which is power/effort based not speed based.  I can feel it in my body.  Running I'm either too far under or over my redline, so I tend to go with under so I don't bonk and have to walk.

Same this in my PR 5K a few weeks ago.  I thought I was going a little slow.  Maybe faster than my last race, but not quite as fast as I wanted.  I ended up going faster than I was targeting.  And yes, I had more in me.  I left time on the course, which is what I give my daughter grief on in her runs.  Maybe I need to do what we've talked about her doing, run a race at too fast of a pace and blow-up/bonk, just to find out where that is.
2012-10-28 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4472280

New user
stevebradley - 2012-10-28 7:43 AM

WAYNE again -

January b-day?  I'm the 13th; what about you?  The "new" aging-up rules of USAT are mean to us early-in-the-year people.  I liked it so much better back when your race age was the age you were on the day of the race. 

Wow, very close, well other than 16 years apart.  Jan 9, which means my birth year is my birth date, when split up in the common format in the US; 1965-> 1/9/65.  Nerdy/geeky things with numbers!

Yeah, I like age on the race day thing too.  I don't mind it with the USAT rules though with 5 year age blocks.  Our youngest daughter does tennis and the USTA does it on birth month, so she can play 13-14 yo through the last day of July 2013, she turns 15 at the end of August.  So, once August rolls around again she'll have to play 15-16, or up.

The middle daughter runs and ran a race in June with a fellow XC team mate in the same grade.  They both got 1st in their age group.  My daughter in 15-19, her friend in 11-14 as her 15th was in July.  The second place girl from the 11-14 age group in that race is now trouncing them in the XC meets this fall.

2012-10-28 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4472204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
stevebradley - 2012-10-27 10:02 PM

... along with two "internals", thsoe being sub-max training, and overenthusiastic pacing.

Yep, these two I will be working much better at.  Thanks for the reply!

2012-10-28 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4458300

User image

Veteran

Anyone here train with a tri group?  I train solo and thinking it may be beneficial to train with a group.  I really don't have an issue with staying motivated to train but I think I could more out of each training session training with others.  Would be interested in hearing the pro's and con's of training with others.

Greg

2012-10-28 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4472194

User image

Expert
MI

briderdt - 2012-10-28 12:13 AM

Swimming... I'll make sure I can do 1.5x the race distance non-stop, but I'm doing it pretty hard. Not quite race speed, but not far off that. Aside from that, most of the swimming will be 200's, concentrating on form. I may do it with a pull buoy, paddles, or just swim it. These would be faster than race pace, with enough rest to be able to maintain the pace for each interval. The thought is to swim more of the distance in perfect form, ingraining it into my muscle memory, so that when I do get tired, it's still there, automatic.

How often do you do your long swim?  And how many times a week do you generally swim?  I'm thinking of doing a long swim maybe once every other week, but I wonder if it's something I should try to do every week?

2012-10-28 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Thanks for the welcome Steve. I am finally getting around to posting my bio and joining in the group. We have just had a crazy busy couple of weeks. I have one more 12 hour shift to get through and then I have three days off. I plan to catch up on all the posts then.

Better late than never- here's my bio

Name- Shelly

Story- Where to start-hhmm. My story began three years ago. I am a 3 time cancer survivor and 3 years ago I was overweight and out of shape. I had never exercised or worked out a day in my life. I decided though, that it was high time I made my health a priority. I started walking, joined curves and the weight started coming off. As a gift my dh gave me a fitness magazine and in it was an article about an Iron Girl triathlon. I decided to try it and was hooked. Because of my cancer treatments I have major heart valve damage and so I am only allowed by my cardiologist to train and race for sprint distance tri's. Even that is difficult many days. I am usually BOP and I really, really would like to at least get to BOMOP. My heart damage is partly responsible but my disorganized training doesn't help. I am really hoping to learn some things that will at least keep me out of the bottom 10 %. Of course I am grateful that I am even able to do it, but I really want to get better if at all possible.

Family- I have been married to a phenomenal man- Kerry- for the last 22 years. He has been my rock through cancer twice (once was as a teenager), losing a child, job layoffs and raising three children. I wouldn't be who or where I am without him. We have 3 living children- Marissa- daughter age 20, Brayden- son age 19, and Claire- daughter age 10. I am a full time labor and delivery nurse and I have a part time business selling hair bows. My training time is limited so I need to learn to make the most of it.

Current Training- right now it's actually pretty hideous. I just swim a little, bike a little and run a little. There isn't even any method to my madness. I don't have a race coming up so I'm just kind of doing my own thing. I did follow a 16 week sprint plan for the three races I've done, but it's pretty beginner so I need to get a better plan than that. I'm still only in my second year of running and really the first of running with any consistency. I followed a c25k and am just running a 5k 2-3 times each week. Running is by far my weakest and hardest sport. It is the hardest on my heart so I'm soooo slow. I think this is my biggest area for improvement. I ride my bike or go to spin class at least 3 days a week and I'm slowly seeing improvement there. I hardly have been swimming as the pool is outdoor and I'm just a wimp- I hate cold water. It's heated but barely. I took four months of coached swim lessons so my technique is decent- I'm just slow because I have to be because of my heart. I just go slow and steady. I might could gain a tiny bit of speed there but really it's more impt. for me to just be relaxed in the water and not get my heart rate up too high. I also get a little panicky in OWS (imagine that) and so just being relaxed and keeping my heart rate down is my swim priority and not speed.

2012 races- I only raced in the River Cities Triathlon in 2012. I trained for one in Atlanta and had my first DNS because the weather was too bad and I didn't feel that I had the bike handling skills to handle the mountains in the rain.

2013 races- Still trying to decide on my next season schedule. I am definitely doing Memphis in May and this will be my A race. So I will really focus on training after the New Year. But I'm looking at one in March that I will definitely do if I can get the day off work, and then will most likely do River Cities again in August and a last one in October- thinking the Santa Rosa Island Triathlon. I did that one in 2011 and it was awesome.

2013 Goals:- just one- to get out of the bottom 10 %. Ok I lied- I want to take some time off my 5k run time and improve my speed on the bike. I would like to repeat 2 of the 3 tri's I've done and perform slightly better.

Weightloss- lost 50 pounds 3 years ago and just want to continue to maintain that.

Mentee- I love to talk, meet new people and am a very social person. I don't mind opening up to new people and sharing about myself in order to learn and help others. I also figure you guys have so much experience that you needed at least a couple of people to use it on and help shape into awesome triathletes- I am willing to be the group guinea pig- lol.

Hope everyone had an awesome training weekend,

Shelly

2012-10-28 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4472701

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
michgirlsk - 2012-10-28 4:29 PM

How often do you do your long swim?  And how many times a week do you generally swim?  I'm thinking of doing a long swim maybe once every other week, but I wonder if it's something I should try to do every week?

This is embarrassing... Okay, I only "train" the swim basically when I have a tri looming on the horizon. Not that I don't like swimming, it's just that it's the one thing I basically can't do out my front door. And it's an immediate expense. So I only do what I have to do for any particular event. One year that happened to be a 5K OWS... Anyway... Most of the time I'll do my long swims as OWS. I have no problem swimming alone in the middle of a lake, as long as it's a no-motor lake. Pool work will be the form concentration. Probably 4x a week, 5 id I can swing it, with 2 of those being long efforts. I've done a few events with nothing but OWS training, but that's rare.

I know my training methods are probably very anti-triathlete. The only numbers I track usually are time and distance. No HR, no power, I only check average speed or per-mile pace after the session is done. I will do my swim intervals on a pace-clock, but that's more so I don't dawdle around taking too much rest between each interval. I'm not as type-A and number happy as most triathletes, I just thrash myself enough in training that race pace isn't a big deal.

2012-10-29 6:27 AM

User image

Greg, I am a member of a tri group but I don't really meet up very often with them. I mostly like to swim early in the season with them but as I start competing in races I tend to be a loner. Actually, I am very much a loner and find that I don't get a lot out of the "you go girl" feeling from the group. If you enjoy socializing with others I find that it really works for a lot of people and pushes them beyond their percieved limits.

On the swim training subject. I only swim when I have race coming up and yes, that is basically any OWS I can find. For 2013 I got Coach Booger a kayak and he will be able to paddle beside me while I get in some practice!

Patti in NJ

2012-10-29 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4472846

User image

Champion

SHELLY -

Glad you made it............I was beginning to wonder!Wink

I will come back soon with a detailed response to your bio, which is intriguing and compellling and inspiring; don't quite know where to begin!  Give me a day or two to get to it, as I am playing catch-up with the group.  Yesterday was gonna be a bi one for posting.......and then Lynn commandeered the machine for some work she needed to do.  The nerve!

Again, welcome aboard the Fast Twitch Limited!  (Limited as far as "passenger" list....but unlimited when it comes to possibilities and potentialities?)

2012-10-29 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4472590

User image

Champion

GREG -

Glad it all worked out, glad you're here!

Although you asked for pros and cons about training with others, i can't offer much because I have virtually no experience with it.  I live in the country, and even though i get into Ottawa 4-6 times a week, it is pretty much exclusively on my own terms.  And if I had one general thought on training with a group, it might be that it probably wouldn't work for someone (like me) who doesn't work well with schedules generated by others.  I don't know how big of a contributor that is, however.

Getting motivated and being pushed are the two biggest benefits I could see from training with others, and for something like Masters swim programs -- having drills set and possibly receiving some technique-pointers -- there are instructional possibilities as well.  I'm sure that if I lived closer to training groups (or even other like-minded people), I would've done less of the past 15 years as a solo operator, but it's just more conveniently turned out that everything i do, i do on my own.

The biggest problem, and it's really a double-edged sword, involves open-water swimming.  I do a ton of it, as in 50-80 solo OWS every season (late May-early Oct)...........and as a solo, there is a considerable risk-factor to it.  On the other hand, were I to wait to OWS until I had others to swim with, I'd do very few of them.  The only concession I make is to avoid OWS when conditions are gnarly, which mostly means big chop or waves, or when it's just fasr too frigid.  In my earlier days at this i would swim regardless, and I now look back at that time wondering where my brain was.  (And by earlier, I'm not talking about being a dopey kid -- it was as recent as about five or six years ago, when i was late 50s!)

2012-10-29 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4473085

User image

Champion

PATTI -

Very belatedly, congrats on signing up for Devilman!  that too is on my list for next season, although a downturn with my hip labrum has me (probably unnecessarily) worried about how much of a '13 season i will have.  Ack!

I guess I can also lead you into temptation by sending you back to Piranha to have a look at Escape from Ft Delaware.  If you get there (the website, that is)........whatdaya think?

Nicely played on getting Coach Booger a kayak, so now you have your very own Support Crew! 

I can relate to your comments about being a loner, as I hint at in my post to Greg, above.  I'm not sure how much I would get from group encouragement, but it's so foreign a concept to me, and I've been solo for so long, that i probably have no perspective at all.  In races, i don't get much from crowds, although I love encouraging other athletes when they look as if they need it.  I guess I feel i might have something to offer (in a training group), but not much to gain myself as i've grown so accustomed to being solo and just propping myself up all on my own.   A real recluse!

2012-10-29 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4472915

User image

Champion

DAVE -

Nothing at all to be embarrassed about!  It makes perfect sense to not make yourself crazy getting to swim-spots if they aren't convenient.  I do that because I love the act of swimming, but i also fully understand the pull to just back off from the hassles.  Pool-swimming does carry a cost, and I'm not always happy with it -- especially when, as now, I'm kind of "off-season" and haven't gotten a three-month pass.......so each swim is pay-as-you-go........and I feel obligated to make each worthwhile.......even though at this point i hardly want to swim seriously.  Decisions, decisions!

But it sounds as if you do a really good job on swimming on an as-needed basis, as your frequency numbers are impressive.  In fact, there are any number of accomplished triathletes who do virtually no wintertime pool swimming, preferring to do as you do -- bump up the swimming as the season, and especially big races, is approaching.

I am quite like you about numbers --- no HRM, no Garmin, just me and my Timex Sleek 50-lap watch.  I keep a log into which go all my info on time and (when i know it) distance, but that's about it.  I do my weight and resting heart-rate every morning, and beyond that, and notes about workouts, not much.

I consider myself Type-A when it comes to performance, but that's an anomaly.  I am generally about a Type-K person, spent most of my life that way.......and it wasn't until I started triathlon that I unearthed some Type-A aspects that i enver knew I had in me.  But I am also a technological moron, so that is one enormous limiter for being more of a numbers guy, even if I really wanted to be.

I spent a few years, maybe '01-'05, using a heart rate monitor on and off, and it did help me figure out a few zones and the volume/intensity of worjk I could handle at this stage of my development.  But i then began to feel that following my HR was quite enrelaible,a dn often a limiter, and since then have been strictly RPE. 

When I was coached, I was pushed very hard and responded in kind.  I still can do that, but the years have taken a toll of sorts on me and my current mode of training is quite similar to how you express things in your final line:  "I just thrash myslef enough in training that rsce pace isn't a big deal".  I will add that for me, at least based on this season just finished, that didn't work 100% --- so now I have to re-evaluate my plan for next season!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fast Twitch Tri-FULL Rss Feed  

of 56