BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-04 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4562379

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
Nope. Saves automatically. Bookmark it.  I put a link to the sheet in my training log also.

2013-01-04 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4562392

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

bdenehy - 2013-01-04 2:42 PM Nope. Saves automatically. Bookmark it.  I put a link to the sheet in my training log also.

Thought so. We use google here at work for everything...so I should know about that by now. 

Have you done SOS before? It seems like a really fun race and I may be forced to do it.

2013-01-04 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I have a computrainer.  Workouts are programmed so I watch them on the TV and listen to loud music.  When I can just use it as a trainer like on long rides, I watch movies or training DVDs.  I've got a big bunch now of swimming and triathlon vids.  I learn a lot.  No down time.

Edited by IceManScott 2013-01-04 2:11 PM
2013-01-04 2:14 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
One other thing I find that helps a lot on the trainer, (Thanks for reminding me Ice!) is watching old IM World Championship videos.  Other than this years, they are very motivating.  I don't know if you can get them on Hulu or Netflix or not, I have a couple years on DVD and this years on the DVR.
2013-01-04 2:17 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

That is a great spreadsheet Bill!  As active as this group is it would help keep track of who's racing each week!

Thanks!  I will enter mine sometime this weekend!

2013-01-04 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

I have a turbo trainer (minoura) in the garage but there's no tv or anything there, Just the wall and tins of paint. I have to  listen to my ipod and sing tunelessly along - that helps me going. I have been thinking of cutting out some pictures from tri mags and sticking them to the wall to inspire me.  I do find it boring though. I did once drag the whole thing into the living room to watch tv while pedaling but it was far too hot and I did feel self- conscious.  I did look at rollers when I was deciding what to get last year but they did look very precarious.

I have received my cycling shoes today though. I ordered them on line and got two pairs for fit. One pair are definitely too small - the others, well the right foot feels ok but on the left the toes are just at the end - when I walk in them,,but I'm not going to walk in them am I? I will order the next size up to try but is smaller or bigger best (assuming I can't get them just right!)

regards

Jennifer

2013-01-04 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4562474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
jennifer65 - 2013-01-04 3:24 PM

I have a turbo trainer (minoura) in the garage but there's no tv or anything there, Just the wall and tins of paint. I have to  listen to my ipod and sing tunelessly along - that helps me going. I have been thinking of cutting out some pictures from tri mags and sticking them to the wall to inspire me.  I do find it boring though. I did once drag the whole thing into the living room to watch tv while pedaling but it was far too hot and I did feel self- conscious.  I did look at rollers when I was deciding what to get last year but they did look very precarious.

I have received my cycling shoes today though. I ordered them on line and got two pairs for fit. One pair are definitely too small - the others, well the right foot feels ok but on the left the toes are just at the end - when I walk in them,,but I'm not going to walk in them am I? I will order the next size up to try but is smaller or bigger best (assuming I can't get them just right!)

regards

Jennifer

I'm no expert, but don't go big on cycling shoes.  When I got shoes that fit while standing, I just had to give them away and get smaller shoes.  I like to fill the whole shoe snugly while sitting.  As you said, they aren't for walking.

2013-01-04 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4562448

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
zee744 - 2013-01-04 3:10 PM

bdenehy - 2013-01-04 2:42 PM Nope. Saves automatically. Bookmark it.  I put a link to the sheet in my training log also.

Thought so. We use google here at work for everything...so I should know about that by now. 

Have you done SOS before? It seems like a really fun race and I may be forced to do it.

No, I've never done it.  Have some masters swim buddies who have and they loved it.  Do you have an "in" for the race?  It sold out right away, so if you don't have another way of getting in, I think you would have to raise or donate $1k in addition to the race fee.

2013-01-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4562329

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
bdenehy - 2013-01-04 7:10 PM

Beta test of a group racing calendar!  Okay, so I had a hard time focusing for a few minutes today so made a spreadsheet in googledocs.  I started doing a google calendar then realized that in order to edit it, everyone would have to have a Google account.  So who wants to give this a try? If so, go to this link, edit it how you want with your races and we can have a centralized place to see what is coming up.  If you want your races in there, but don't know how or don't want to edit the file, just tell me and I will put them in.  I didn't put anyone's races in but mine since this not a protected document (anyone who has the link below can see or change the spreadsheet), but then again, posting here isn't particularly private either....

I'm hoping someday this will be a function of the BT mentor groups, but baby steps for now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbWu4ps3_dodDl4ZXdZNnFvWG9zb1lKb2RrTjZ5M3c#gid=3

That's great. I've put my races in and its prompted me to get applying for the ones I want to do earlier in the year. Thanks

2013-01-04 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4562499

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
bdenehy - 2013-01-04 3:35 PM

No, I've never done it.  Have some masters swim buddies who have and they loved it.  Do you have an "in" for the race?  It sold out right away, so if you don't have another way of getting in, I think you would have to raise or donate $1k in addition to the race fee.

Ahhh...did not realize that! There goes that one.

2013-01-04 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4562574

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
zee744 - 2013-01-04 4:08 PM
bdenehy - 2013-01-04 3:35 PM

Ahhh...did not realize that! There goes that one.

If you think you want to do it next year, mark your calendar for Midnight, Halloween, 2013.  They only field 150 + some charity slots, so it sells out quick.  Plus its on the same day as Toughman this year, so DO TOUGHMAN...Wink

Edit - Nevermind on Toughman! I need to get a handle on the group after all the posts.  You are in Albany, not Westchester...

Edited by bdenehy 2013-01-04 3:23 PM

2013-01-04 4:20 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
Wow! No kidding, you have to be an endurance athlete just to keep up with all these posts! Had a nice slow run and still feeling just a bit less then normal but I'm looking forward to my first marathon - even more so the warmer temps (didn't I mention that before...)
2013-01-04 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Love the group spreadsheet idea! I plugged my planned races so far. 
2013-01-04 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4562747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-04 6:02 PMLove the group spreadsheet idea! I plugged my planned races so far. 

And what a full schedule it is! Have a blast with all those races!

2013-01-04 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4561973

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-04 10:52 AM
zee744 - 2013-01-04 5:56 AM

Happy Friday, all!

I'm feeling a good weekend! Took the day off yesterday with some soreness, plus a hot date...so we'll start off the weekend with a swim and run tonight. Longer bike tomorrow with a short run. Short bike and longer run on Sunday. Also, it's the start of the PLAYOFFS!! Luckily my Niners have no game Wink

What does everyone else have in store? What are you long workouts considered at this point? 

My schedule is still pretty light compared to some. I'm doing about 30 miles on the bike Saturday and then some strength training and a long run Sunday of 4 miles. I'm training with my daughter for her first 10K in February. If I feel good afterwards I might add another mile or 2 but I'm not doing anything too long yet.

I woke up early to get my workout in 3 days in a row this week. Yea for me! I'm planning to get back to masters swim next week. That means a 5:00 wake up and a cold walk from the locker room to the pool (we swim outdoors). If I don't say anything about swimming next week someone needs to yell at me.

super jealous - I love swimming in outdoor pools with the feel of the sun on my back - I guess there is not much sun at 5 am though.  Unfortunately no outdoor pools here - have to wait to visit the inlaws in the summer

2013-01-04 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

Nothing special for me either this weekend. 1.5 hrs on the trainer today while watching Animal Cops and Infected! With TR workout. Longest ride in trainer is 2 hrs, and since I got a new saddle, my butt is happy. I tend to take small breaks (less than a min) for the rest portions of a workout to get the pressure off my butt for a little while and shaking out my legs and get right back into the workout. This week has been a bit off as I had to be home while the demolishing of the third bathroom has to be done and asbestos removal (pain in the butt!, We wanted it done the right way, so environmental folks has to come.). Right now my den is looking a bit like a hoarder's home with crap literally everywhere. I so cannot wait to finish the renovations, new toilet (old one is moss green with a cracked top. Who the heck has a GREEN toilet?!), and to replace the shower, we are putting in a doggie/animal wash station. So it'll be a fun upgrade.

Bunco with the ladies on Sunday. Bunco is the rare times that I get to hang out with my deaf friends. I'm the only person that cycles/do triathlons! All other times I'm with my friends is cycling. No idea if I will bike tomorrow outside or indoors. A friend is going to try to get me in at her Lifetime's 12 weeks Sufferfest Spin classes...so we'll see what happens!

2013-01-04 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4562844

User image

Expert
San Jose
robingray_260 - 2013-01-04 4:45 PM
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-04 10:52 AM
zee744 - 2013-01-04 5:56 AM

Happy Friday, all!

I'm feeling a good weekend! Took the day off yesterday with some soreness, plus a hot date...so we'll start off the weekend with a swim and run tonight. Longer bike tomorrow with a short run. Short bike and longer run on Sunday. Also, it's the start of the PLAYOFFS!! Luckily my Niners have no game Wink

What does everyone else have in store? What are you long workouts considered at this point? 

My schedule is still pretty light compared to some. I'm doing about 30 miles on the bike Saturday and then some strength training and a long run Sunday of 4 miles. I'm training with my daughter for her first 10K in February. If I feel good afterwards I might add another mile or 2 but I'm not doing anything too long yet.

I woke up early to get my workout in 3 days in a row this week. Yea for me! I'm planning to get back to masters swim next week. That means a 5:00 wake up and a cold walk from the locker room to the pool (we swim outdoors). If I don't say anything about swimming next week someone needs to yell at me.

super jealous - I love swimming in outdoor pools with the feel of the sun on my back - I guess there is not much sun at 5 am though.  Unfortunately no outdoor pools here - have to wait to visit the inlaws in the summer

Yup, no sun at 5:30 but at least the sun is just coming up when we're done at 7:00. I can't imagine how long your winter must seem!

2013-01-04 9:26 PM

User image

Happy Friday, everyone!  I'm enjoying my first day off in a while--did a swim, a pilates class, and a 60 minute easy run with a friend.  Hello, endorphins!!!

Gonna try and get outside for a couple hours on the bike tomorrow, I hate to do it at less than 40 degrees but there's only so much trainer I can take.  Sunday I have a swim lesson and some core work planned.

I'm already starting to feel worried about the increased training time a HIM is going to require, so I decided today my goals for January are 1) to decrease my "transition" times involving workouts (i.e. combine double workouts into ONE trip to the gym, keep packed gym bag in car at all times, wear clothes I can work out in pretty much all the time, etc) and 2) to work on getting more done early in the morning before my family is up.  I'm gonna try the 2 alarm clock thing and see if that helps...other tips would be welcome. 

2013-01-05 5:26 AM
in reply to: #4562998

User image

Master
Sin City
RunningJoke - 2013-01-04 7:26 PM

Happy Friday, everyone!  I'm enjoying my first day off in a while--did a swim, a pilates class, and a 60 minute easy run with a friend.  Hello, endorphins!!!

Gonna try and get outside for a couple hours on the bike tomorrow, I hate to do it at less than 40 degrees but there's only so much trainer I can take.  Sunday I have a swim lesson and some core work planned.

I'm already starting to feel worried about the increased training time a HIM is going to require, so I decided today my goals for January are 1) to decrease my "transition" times involving workouts (i.e. combine double workouts into ONE trip to the gym, keep packed gym bag in car at all times, wear clothes I can work out in pretty much all the time, etc) and 2) to work on getting more done early in the morning before my family is up.  I'm gonna try the 2 alarm clock thing and see if that helps...other tips would be welcome. 

Question - how much of a double workouts are you talking about? This is not too bad if you are doing a run and a swim afterwards for those easy s/r days, but if there is a hard run or hard swim/distance swim you may not want to do that for heavy days because that's just going to take a toll on you once you start getting more volume in.

I cannot remember if this is your first HIM, but you may want to split workouts (even strength training/cross training) because it may cause more fatigue as your volume gets a bit more heavier and your second workout will suffer. If I were you, I would have the first workout as s/b/r focused THEN cross fit (yoga, pilates, etc) as they are not crucial to tri training. I've never done a HIM, but just my own observations.

another advice is to add the distances you did for your bike and run on our training logs. It will be a nice confidence booster to see your numbers going up for some of those disappointing days that you may/may not endure. You don't want to regret not logging in your distances when 2013 ends. . I know trainer rides can be inaccurate, what I do is to take the look at my effort and correlate what it will be on the road. For example, my easy rides on the road is 15mph. Harder efforts 15.5mph, extremely hard efforts 16mph. So, for every hour on trainer = 15 miles. And in the notes section, I type in "trainer." I learned this the hard way when I did a lot of trainer rides in 2010 and 2011 and saw my numbers were a bit low by the end of the year then realized that I didn't record the distances. My distances were off by a couple hundred miles.

lastly, always have your bike stuff prepared earlier or the night before, so you are not scrambling in the morning to get your stuff together. That includes water, gels, clothes, etc. Electrolytes can be put on the counter and ready to be dropped in your bottle as you're eating breakfast. Multi task.

2013-01-05 7:19 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good morning gang!  Lots of good conversations yesterday!!

Just a trainer ride today, plus some more snow removal! Yell

2013-01-05 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4562998

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-01-04 10:26 PM

DJ gave you some good advice but a couple of other things to maybe help ease your worries.

When I talk about HIM or IM training a lot of other triathletes share the same concerns about finding the time to train for the distance.  Although some of the weekday training is a bit longer than a sprint or oly plan, most of the extra time is spent on the long bike rides and runs usually done on the weekends.  Especially if you are following a plan for the beginner to intermediate triathlete.  There will be some days there are double workouts, and I agree if you can do them with one trip to the gym, it is more efficient, but as DJ indicated, make sure to do your important or harder workout fresh. 

I enjoy the strength training too, especially this time of year.  I have found though, that once summer hits and the races get closer that the strength stuff is the first to go.  Some of it is just a matter of time, or fatigue.  Some of it is just the desire not to be inside when it is nice out.  Other than race week, even in the summer I will at least try and get one or two basic sets in.  Especially something focusing on the core.

2013-01-05 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4562042

User image

New user
kenj - 2013-01-04 12:18 PM

rquinn23 - 2013-01-04 10:58 AM Definitely feeling like a slacker! Raining and windy this morning, and although I don't mind running in the rain I just couldn't get out the door. Brought my running clothes to work, though, so I think I'll head out for a noon run (which I never do, but I have to start getting mid-day runs in this year in preparation for IM Louisville). Then XFit after work. This weekend will get in a long run of 10 miles and hopefully a bike of 40 or so, though it is supposed to rain all weekend. Do any of you use a roller trainer for the bike? It's the only kind I have, and there is no way I could do longer than an hour on it. Usually I only do 30 minutes, though I think my longest is 45. It's tough to get a change in effort, so I try to just change gears and do intervals of harder effort and maybe some high-cadence spinning intervals.

I have had 2 crashes on my bike in the 6 or 7 years I have been doing this.  One was a minor crash on a slippery road doing a group ride in California when I was on a work project out there.  The other was in my basement on my rollers.  It is a good thing I wasn't hurt too bad as my wife was laughing too hard to offer any assistance!  I only drag them out once in a while.

That said, I have a good friend who only uses the rollers.  He is active on BT and wrote an article with an attached video that you can read and view here. He regularly rides them for several hours although personally I have no idea how he does it. 

In my opinion, the trainer gives you a better conditioning type workout, where the rollers give you a better bike handling type workout (which I failed miserably at!)

You are correct that the rollers give a good bike handling workout! I have not yet crashed on the rollers. I have the parabolic kind that curve up on the side so I don't roll off the sides, and I always set them up next to something that I can grab for starting or stopping. The problem is I can't set them up directly in front of the TV, but rather at an angle, and that sometimes makes me veer to one side if I focus on the TV for too long. But the rollers will have to do for now, and I appreciate everyone's comments on how you approach training indoors. I am lucky to live somewhere where I can bike outside all year round, it's just the darkness that impedes the training now.
2013-01-05 1:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Hey Robin,

You OK after that earth quake?

2013-01-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4563616

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
acv - 2013-01-05 1:48 PM

Hey Robin,

You OK after that earth quake?

Yep!  It was WAY far South of us - didn't even feel it.  Did have a 5.4 a month or so ago - that was enough for me!  Thanks for asking!

2013-01-05 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

I had a fun morning running.  A local running club put on a post holiday recovery run.  Kind of an organized training run, no tshirts, no timing, no fees...  They provide a 5k course, water and a port-a-john.  You can run as far as you like up to 50k.  I did the 25k that was on my schedule for tomorrow.  Running 5 loops of the same course would usually turn me off, but it was nice to be with people.  Also, it helped keep me from sandbagging on a long run.  I still kept it in my zone, but at the top of the zone Smile

So it got me thinking that the folks who write these plans, like my current run plan, give some thought to where to put a 5 mile recovery run.  I threw that off by reversing weekend days and paid a bit of a price with more soreness on a long run than I would have liked.  But I wouldn't change that, since fun is fun.

That, in turn, got me thinking about the posts about squeezing in doubles together.  I know that the optimal way to do doubles is to space them out, but I'm sure I will never do that.  Almost every day, except for long run days, I do back to back workouts.  And I order them in most convenient way. As in, since group swimming doesn't start until 6, run or bike comes first.  And if its a run day, I drive to the pool first and run from there so I'm driving out there with no other traffic, maybe saving 4 extra minutes.  Yes, one or maybe both workouts suffer, but there is only so much time in the day and so many showers that I want to take...

Happy training folks!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64