BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-02-24 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4635252

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA
Subject: RE: Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED

i actually haven't done any open runs in ages so couldn't honestly tell you how consistent the times are. but i've used these to help pace in my tri's and have been pretty good there.

keep in mind, it is just a tool. so maybe you're feeling good, might be a bit faster. maybe just not a good day, little slower. but it's a good base to work off of.

i've broken a valve too, but using a hand pump. standard bolts of a standard bike braze-on is a M5 bolt and require an allen wrench. if you have a bike multi tool, like the one below, you should be good to go.

2013-02-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4549295

New user

Toronto, Ontario
Hope training is going well for everyone. Today is the start of the forth week of my HIM training plan. All is going well, except I have missed a few swims due to scheduling issues between pool hours and having childcare for the two wee ones. Overall I am pretty happy with how thing are going.
I want to get your thoughts on stretching. My hubby is a runner and he doesn't stretch right after a long run. Instead he'll stretch in the evenings. My friend swears that you must stretch right after a workout. I've also read that stretching does help with injury prevention. What approach does everyone take when it comes to stretching. I'll be honest, my stretching is 95% based on if I have extra time after a workout.
2013-02-25 1:07 PM

User image

Eriq - that's exactly the thing I need!

I'll need to stop into the bike shop to get one though since I don't have a multitool yet. I'd heard the term but wasn't sure what it was. Thanks for the pic.

SweetClaire - I tend to cool down (usually walk for .5 of a mile or so) at the end of my long runs, followed by using my foam roller on the various muscle groups. I will stretch a bit as well if something feels tight - but I find my foam roller is really the thing that works best for me. I use it every morning - but if I do it right after a long run (or bike for that matter) I find I am not nearly as sore or stiff the next day.
2013-02-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4636130

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

i do some light stretching if i have time at the end of my workouts. for the most part, i use my triggerpoint theraphy rollers and ball to keep my muscles loose in between regular sports massage.

if you are going to stretch, and more specifically static stretch where you hold the stretch, there are some keys to doing it properly.

• never stretch a cold muscle. that's why it's easy just to do it at the end of your workout.
  • don't bounce too much. you want to hold the stretch for about 30 secs.
  • you want the stretch to be slightly uncomfortable, but not painful.
2013-02-25 8:06 PM

In terms of stretching, I do a quick 15 min routine every morning and think it's a really good use of time.  It helps keep me limber and feeling good.  And in terms of working out, I think it's a key reason why I've been fairly injury free.  On days when I don't have time to stretch, I can feel tightness here and there, so I think a good morning stretch (accompanied by a nice strong cup of coffee) is a really good way to start the day.  And of course cool down stretching after a workout is good too.  

Ran 5 miles indoors tonight.  First run in a couple of week, and overall it was ok.  Toward the final 1/2 mile, I could really feel the drop-off in training in the past 2 weeks, but oh well.  Hope to get back in my routine this week.  

Hope everyone had a good Monday.

2013-02-26 3:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

So I kicked off my season this past Sunday with a reverse sprint at one of the local high schools. Race is a 5k run, 10 mile bike, and 100 yd swim, but the run and bike are a tad shorter than listed.

First sign that a race might be a bit disorganized is when you pull up and there are no bike racks. They had a section of the parking lot blocked off but I guess the company that was supposed to deliver the racks got the date wrong so many people ended up just laying their bikes on the ground or using their kickstand. I got there early so I got the very first spot headed into transition and found a nice bush to lean my bike against and took a whole parking space for myself.

Roads were open to traffic. There was a lack of volunteers holding up traffic through intersections and directing people where to go. And if there was a volunteer along the course, they were probably texting. Roads were in somewhat crappy condition for sections of the bike and there were a lot of scrapped roads and loose dirt/gravel due to road work being done. I knew the roads were a bit crappy too so I knew that I had to be conservative in parts to stay upright. Even then, I could feel my rear tire slipping during sections. You know it’s sketchy when the guy on the mountain bike said it was sketchy out there. People were getting lost on the bike, missing turns, cutting the course, going longer, etc. I drove the course before hand and got familiar with the map so I knew where I was going and was able to stay on course. Let’s just say it made for a very interesting and fun day. But I figured I wouldn’t worry about what I couldn’t control and just go out and race my race.

For the run, I was able to get a position at the front so I wouldn’t have to worry about weaving through traffic early on. I’ve made this mistake before and it probably cost me a podium spot. I got out quick for the first minute or two starting at around 6:30/mi pace and then slowed and settled into my goal pace of about 7:10-7:20/mi. The first mile was a bit uphill so was surprised to clock 7:15. Second mile was a bit downhill so I attacked it and went 6:50. The last mile again was a bit uphill and clocked that at 7:13. So I put in a solid 3 miles at 21:18, and actually ran NGP (normalized graded pace – pace adjusted for change in elevation to as if you were on a flat or a track) of 7:00/mi. I was able to keep in contact with the front pack. I know I’m not the strongest runner but knew I had to hold on to have a chance on the bike.

Thru T1, since my bike was right at the entrance/exit, I was able to pick up a few spots. And with a flying transition, I past 1 more person who was trying to clip in. Once on the bike, I attacked the first uphill section and picked up 3 more people. I started thinking to myself, “damn, how many people were in front of me after the run?!” On one of the longer stretches of road on the way back of the first loop, I saw one person ahead of me. I tried to push through the remainder of the first loop and the second loop and made up a bit of time. Though because of the roads and lack of people stopping traffic, I was very cautious through corners and intersections. I just wasn’t able to pull him back. Headed into T2, that guy in front of me was running to the pool as I was turning in. When I got to the pool he was almost 2 lengths in front. With such a short swim, I knew I wouldn’t get be able to get him but I swam hard anyways and actually made up some time.

This wasn’t a chip timed race so couldn’t tell you what my official time was. I hit the lap button one too many times and stopped it a bit prematurely. But I ended up coming in 2nd overall! Woo hoo! Unfortunately, the guy who won was in the same AG so I also placed 2nd in my AG. Haha!

We ended up hanging around for about 2.5 hrs for awards as they were having trouble figuring out the results. They messed up all the awards and gave out medals to the top 3 in every AG, but combined the men and women. That sucked big time! And a lot of people who finished on the podium left, they were calling out people’s names and no one came up to receive their medals. I was also bummed that they didn’t give overall medals either. I wanted my two medals dammit! =P

Found out that although this was the 13th annual, it was handed off to a new organization that had never run a race before, hence all the madness. I’m cool with that, I still like supporting the small, local races.

I also spoke to the guy who won and found out that he only does sprints! For a few years now too. He said maybe he’ll do an Olympic or two this year. I didn’t feel so bad having come off an Ironman year and losing to a guy who only does sprints. And btw, he also qualified for Sprint Age Group Nationals last year and is aiming for Worlds this year. One more thing, his coach is Michellie Jones and if this name sounds familiar, it’s because she won IM WC back in 2006, has a few ITU WCs and won Olympic Silver in 2000. Yeah, she’s a badass. You know what, I’m totally good knowing that I came a very close 2nd behind that guy. =)

So this year I was aiming to podium at another race, and hey, I’m 1 for 1! My wife took a ton of pics of the race so if you are interested in seeing some, let me know and I’ll post some somewhere.

Here's my silver medal.

My bike setup.

Edited by eriqpimentel 2013-02-26 3:09 AM

2013-02-26 6:08 AM

User image

Nice bike, medal and race report.  You can totally feel an organized race verses an unorganized race.......very easily.  Last year at one event, people were getting lost walking to the swim.  That was the race I beat Scott Brown, ex MA Senator.  He is quite a competitor.

One mile run pace.......bout time I did that.  I just looked at one of  last years races, the ocean water was to rough for the swim so the harbor master wouldn't let us swim for the Escape the Cape event in MA last year.  So we did a one mile run in place.  I did a 6:14 and I don't think I could do that today but worth a try.  My new watch is so cool with the gps readout of my actual pace while running.  I may try today or tomorrow if I get my bike in and my calves loosen up a little.

Have started bike and swim speed work.  Dreading the run but that may be more as I am still building endurance for the half marathon.  The goal is survival and base for Tri's so I think some speed work would be good.  

I did get some outside runs in while in CA.  Back to snowy MA and running all bundled up.

Train with a purpose today:

• Bike 15 - with at least 4 miles at race pace that I am trying to improve at - 22.5mph
  • Run 1 Mile - either Brick coming off the bike at 8 min pace or no brick and all out what does Jeff have inside
  • Swim - 1200 - 800 at training pace and 4x100 at 1:30 pace

Good training All!!!

2013-02-26 11:36 AM

User image

New user
Just back from a 4 day vacation with no exercise whatsoever, while I feel rested it is time to hit the pool today and a trainer ride later tonight. Traveling to warmer climates later this week and hoping for an outdoor run.
2013-02-26 7:59 PM

User image

Congrats Eriq - Sounds like you rocked, despite the disorganization! Nice medal ...and awesome bike. :D

Did my first solo focused swim session today (i.e., I was given a workout plan and had to work through it. Wow, time flies when you are actually following a plan...It was about 50 minutes, but it felt quick. I've decided I really like breaking up the session into smaller increments.

Did more one arm drills (the ones I did were with my other hand forward...I'd probably drown with it at my side). I am absolutely astounded by how much better I am at bilateral breathing thanks to these drills. Sure it's meant to work my stroke...but my breathing is so obviously better, I am amazed. And the whole pulling change - what a difference!

Anyways - hope everyone is having a fabulous week.
2013-02-28 12:01 PM

I'm back into the training 'routine' and things are going as expected.  My legs are a bit tired, but no big deal.  Trying to mix-in some strength training with my tri-specific training too - gotta love core exercises...

The weather is starting to turn here in the NY area, so I'm hoping to get outside for a run in the next day or so.  

That's about it from here.  

Hope everyone is doing well.

2013-02-28 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

i am having a rough week. i guess the race took more out of me than i had thought. my workouts for the past 3 days have been kinda tough. doesnt help that work is busy and working more hours than usual.

hope you're all having good weeks and staying on track. i know for a lot of you, you're first race is just around the corner. i can't believe it's already the end of feb.

i think these people have races in march...

Danelle, Jeff, Allie, Jana.

I wonder if I got that right and if I missed anyone. When's your race, you ready/nervous/excited, have any questions?

2013-03-01 9:28 AM

User image

You're right - I'd originally planned to sign up for a race in March, but I decided to go to Florida instead. I am utterly maxed-out on winter and desperately need some sun and warm weather.

Decided to do a training week down there from March 9-16th. Sun, warmth and lots of real practice swimming, biking and running - mostly biking. Did I mention there should be sun? And warm weather?

My first races are now in April. Nothing too crazy - a 5k on April 6th and a 10k on April 27th. My first tri won't be until June (the 16th I believe).

Look forward to hearing about other people's race plans though! Hope training is going well!
2013-03-02 9:27 PM

User image

Yes, Allie and I are running a half marathon.  More for fun with my sister to use as a reason to get back in shape.  We feel fine but not strong times expected.  I pulled a calf muscle and it is slowing me down, it got more inflamed last week as I tried to do the one mile all out......did 1/2 mile at a hot pace and then........ahhhh

Did a nice easy 4 miles outside today and then some icy hot on calf.

Long one tomorrow am before heading to Miami.

Hope all are well.

2013-03-03 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4641227

User image

Gilbert, AZ

Finally logging on to my laptop so I can actually type a response quickly instead of stumbling through on my phone....

I had my last scheduled running race yesterday, pacing the 4 hour group for the Phoenix Marathon. BTW, any of you cold weather people looking for a great full, half or 10 k to do in March next year, this is a fantastic race. It started last year as just a half, and this year they added the full and 10k. Amazing race directors, sponsors, charities, volunteers, etc. This was my 19th marathon, and the best from an organizational stand point: the finish line had a recovery tent with about 6-7 kiddie pools filled with ice water and folding chairs all along the edges. While I was sitting soaking my feet in the the ice bath, I had at least 3 volunteers come up and ask me if I'd like a Muscle Milk, Coke, or other snacks. They also wrapped my sore quads in ice for me. Amazing race and beautiful day!

My tri training was thwarted a little in the past few weeks, since I was out of town last weekend and missed my long bike, then last week I had schedule conflicts and missed a bike and swim, then missed my usual Friday tempo run to rest for the marathon Saturday. The extra rest (and a little extra sleep this week) really helped me feel strong for the run yesterday-I felt great the whole way, and was even singing and cheering and encouraging people running with me at mile 23! I have always had a hard time tapering and scheduling time to recover, but I find the older I get (I'm 45 now) that my body really needs the recovery. Some days I have to remind myself my body will be stronger with another rest day rather then pounding out a workout when I'm sore/tired/sick, etc. I have been alternating between 1-2 days off a week, and that seems to be a good balance. That being said, I have noticed that I do recover more quickly now that I'm doing more than just running. I managed to swim 1500 yards (50 minutes-still feeling so dang slow in the water) and then do an easy bike ride with my husband for 50 minutes today. I would have never felt like running much the day after a marathon in the past, but it felt so good to move around today. 

My first tri is a sprint March 30! I am starting to get excited! And nervous, mostly about the swim. I've been swimming twice a week now for a few months, but still not seeing the improvements I want. Really, really need to ask to masters swim coach to take a video of my stroke. I also have another sprint and a splast and dash (1500 m open water swim/5k run) in April, and an indoor tri (20 minutes for each event) and an olympic in May, and I'm hoping to add 1-2 more splash and dashes (in April and May). The splash and dash are at Tempe Town Lake (where my other tris will be) and they are very low key, and lots of fun. Haven't figured out the wet suit thing yet-will I need one, should I rent one first to see what kind I like? An additional challenge is that my husband was laid off from his job last month, and severance pay ends next month. As a teacher I don't make much, and definitely not enough to support a family of 5 and a triathlete!! So I may need to put some race aspirations on hold, but I can still train and enjoy my new "cross-training" addiction!

Nice to hear a few of you are able to enjoy some outside runs. Spring is around the corner! We are supposed to head to our scheduled ski vacation in Vail next weekend (NOT excited about the snow forecast on our driving day-you'd never know I learned to drive in Chicago). After that week of snow I will be ready for spring here as well too

Thanks again for everyone's posts-even though I don't respond, I read them all and I am learning so much. (Like I may not feel totally comfortable changing my own flat yet, but I'm glad I have one of those cool multi-tool things for emergencies!)

Have a great week everyone!

Danelle

2013-03-03 10:51 PM
in reply to: #4644791

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

sorry to hear the bad news. i feel like this group is cursed. lots of bad things happening to people here. hopefully things turn around for you and your fam.

2013-03-04 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

hey party people! hope you all had a good weekend. it's monday and start of a new week.

as for me, i got in a solid 3500yd workout in the pool. 400 warmup, 2x1000 at IM pace and clocked 1:43 and 1:40/100 with 1min rest between intervals. then 3x300 at HIM pace and clocked 1:36/100 across all 3. pretty pleased with how my swim is coming along right now. getting a much better feel for pacing especially across longer sets so this should help significantly come race time.

i've also transitioned to breathing every 2 strokes instead of every 3. so this slowed me down at first but i've been working on head position and feel stronger due to getting more oxygen and have found that same speed as before.

i think i have another week or two of this build phase then one week of recovery, and then bring on the intensity!

what else do i have coming up? i have a color run type of 5k coming up. my wife is excited for that and it'll be fun to get all colorful and stuff. then i have tour de cure long beach in april, i think my wife and i are doing 32 miles, maybe the 10 and i'll ride my fixie. as for tri's, i might shoot for may for the next one.

anyways, i'll be looking at your logs in the next day or two so hopefully you have them up-to-date and as always, i'm here if you need anything! =)

2013-03-05 4:32 PM

Hey all, I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks.  I've kicked-up my training a gear or two in the past week.  I was on vacation at Disney and on the road for work, so I missed a couple of weeks of training.  But I'm back.

I've been focusing on base building and I think I'm doing ok.  The quality of my swimming is improving, I think.  Been focusing on making sure I rotate enough and high elbows, and by golly, it seems to be working.  I feel alot stronger in the water.  Not sure if it's translated into a big time improvement yet, but I feel alot more efficient.  

Indoor biking and running.  (Have I said I really dislike the dreadmill before...ok, i'm sure I have a few (hundred!?) times).  Doing ok with both.  I feel that I'm ahead of where I was last year at this time, so that's good.

The weather is turning here in NY, so I hope to start outdoor running soon.  

My first race (as of right now) is in July, so I have some time.  That race is a HIM.  I may try to pick-up an oly distance race in May/June to test my fitness, but otherwise July is it.

That's about it from here.  Hope everyone is doing well.

2013-03-05 11:03 PM
in reply to: #4646582

User image

Gilbert, AZ
Just wanted to say thanks Eriq for the mention of breathing every 2 strokes. I tried that today during my short swim workout, and what a difference! I alternated 2 and 3 (two breaths with 2 strokes, one with three) and I was able to do 3 X 300 with less that a minute rest between sets (although I did do 50 yards of kicking between each set as well). Still very slow, but I felt like I had energy and some power to stay strong on my strokes. Up to this point I've only been able to get through a 200 and then have to rest for 1-2 minutes before starting up again. 
2013-03-06 10:36 AM

ERIQ - it's interesting what you said in terms of breathing every 2 vs 3 strokes.  Still trying to figure out how that looks, but maybe i'll see what I can do in the pool tonite.  

When I do bilateral breathing, I do 1 per 3 strokes.  In other words, left breath with left arm stroke, right, left, right breath with right arm.   This seems rather smooth for me.  The key for me is when I exhale.  I find that if i exhale immediately then my stroke gets all messed up.  Using the above arm stroke example, I hold my breath for the first right and then start to exhale on the next left stroke.  In this way, I'm trying to 'smooth' out my breathing and my stroke mechanics seems to work better.  Rotation is also key.

Does this make sense?  Or did I just confuse everybody?

2013-03-06 11:18 PM
in reply to: #4648502

User image

Gilbert, AZ
Makes total sense to me! I typically breathe every three (breathe left, stroke right, stroke left, breath right) buy adding in a few two really helps me feel like I'm getting more oxygen and not having my heart rate get so high. I have tried exhaling after one stroke as you described, and most times I still have a hard time feeling like I can relax a little and get into a rhythm. Hopefully, the more experienced I get, my breathing and efficiency will improve.
2013-03-07 12:04 AM
in reply to: #4648502

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

i understand what you're saying.

every 2 strokes means you breathe every other stroke. so you just keep breathing on the same side. i usually swim 25 breathing to one side, then coming back, breathing to the next. or sometimes i'll switch it up every 50 or 100. but still breathing every 2 strokes.

for example left arm stroke + breathe to the right, right arm stroke, left arm stroke + breathe to the right again.

that's odd that you mention exhaling is what is messing up your rhythm. most people will say that it's the breathing part that throws them off. you usually want to exhale as soon as your face is back in the water for a few reasons. i could write it all out but just visit this link. and don't mind the animation breathing every 3 strokes... haha!

http://www.swimsmooth.com/exhalation.html

2013-03-07 11:06 AM

Eriq - thanks for the link to the exhaling article.  I'm probably a semi-late exhaler.  In terms of exhaling when breathing every 3 strokes, I find that when I exhale immediately I'm a bit short of air before I turn to take a breath.  But when I hold my breath for one stroke and them exhale, it seems to work better.  Perhaps it's a matter of the rate that I exhale, but in any case, I'll try to adjust things as per the article to see if things improve.  

I was in the pool last night and swam ~2300 yards. (I can't seem to keep an accurate lap count, so I think that's about right...)  It felt pretty good.  I tried to make sure to keep my elbows high and also to rotate, and I think it went pretty well.  

All this said, I don't expect all these little swim improvements to yield all that much in terms of speed, so I'm fairly happy with where I am.  Though, my swim endurance could use some improvement.

Happy Thursday to all.

2013-03-10 8:47 PM

Ran outside yesterday! It was so nice to be outside for a change.  My legs weren't used to the pavement, so it was a bit tougher that I thought it was going to be, but oh well.  It'll probably take a few days to get my legs in shape for pavement running, but I'll get there.  Looking forward to some longer runs.  My max on the dreadmill is 6-7 miles, so I'm looking forward to getting in some longer distance runs over the next few weeks.  In any case, it was good to be outside.

Did some intervals on the bike this evening.  Very hard, but good workout.

That's about it from here.

Hope everyone is well.

2013-03-11 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4654223

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

i'm with you on that. been getting outdoors for more of my runs and being feeling a bit beat up. might also be the abnormally warm weather and high winds that we're seeing. running straight into a 15mph headwind sucks.

as for my other training, swimming is kinda not happening. I've been doing a lot of work at work so i'm busy on my computer and i've developed a pinched nerve on the right side of my neck. now i have all sorts of numbness running down my arm and down the bottom side of my hand around the pinky and ring finger. yipee! so am taking the swimming thing kinda easy as it gets aggrevated after i swim around 2k or more.

i honestly looked at your logs the other day. i had a bunch of notes typed up and was waiting for training peaks public logs to come back up as they were down or something. and now i can't find where i save those notes! but this week is a recovery week so i should have time tomorrow to browse thru everyone's stuff.

hope all is well!!!

2013-03-11 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4655988

User image

Gilbert, AZ

Vacationing in Vail, CO this week, so my training will include skiing and eating I am really trying to not worry about missing a week of training, and see it as finally applying that "cyclical training" approach! I looked back over my logs and noticed that I have had at least 7.5-almost 11 hours of training per week since the beginning of the year, even with 2 marathons and a weekend of being sick. So I've tried to rationalize a week off will be fine and I'll pick it back up when I get back, 2 weeks before my first sprint. 

I was wondering about training distances for swim. I keep trying to build distance, but I still can only seem to get about 1800 yards in an hour. I know for my sprint tris the distances range from 300-750 yards. My olympic isn't until mid-May, (1500m), so I'm wondering if sticking with 2 one- hour-long workouts a week for now will be enough. I dream of working up to 3-4k!!

Have a great week everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17