BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-05-14 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4549295

Subject: RE: Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED

Hi all, 

It feels really good to have my first race under my belt, albeit a Du.  The course was extremely hilly and it was pouring rain which made the bike portion a little scary and definitely forced everyone to slow down.  

I noticed Jeff hasn't posted yet, but HE TOOK FIRST PLACE IN THE CLYDESDALE DIVISION!!!!  So proud of him for doing that just one year after his first tri! (He even beat one of the kids from the Harvard team!)

We are now registered for the Escape the Cape Sprint Tri on June 8.  Just ordered my wet suit.

I had been primarily focused on the run and bike since getting over the illness, but I will now get focused on the swim as well.  The feedback Eriq provided after Jeff posted the video has made a huge difference in my pace and comfort.

Happy Training all!

Allie

2013-05-14 12:58 PM

User image

Allie,

Congrats! Sounds like you and Jeff both did awesome, especially given the conditions. Good luck in the lead-up to your sprint tri!

Life here is continuing a pace. Finished my last running race of the season - a 10k in bizarre weather conditions. I've never gotten to 7k in a race before and gotten chills during the race, but there was a fierce headwind from that point and I just froze right through to the end. Surprised my time wasn't worse (49:44) to be honest. Although despite the slower time than my last 10k, I think I ran a much better paced race. If the weather had been in my favour I think I'd have done well.

Now on to triathlon. My first race is June 16th - a sprint tri. I'm headed off for the weekend to train with the local triathlon club (mostly just folks getting together to bike, swim and run) - and am hoping that I'll get some quality time (probably 3 50-60k rides) outside on my tri bike! Between the march injury, running races and a hectic work schedule, I've been very remiss with the biking/swimming the last few weeks and am going to use this week and weekend to catapult me back into a more focused schedule in advance of the tri. Wish I could get some open water swimming in, but the water is still way-too-cold where I'm at. So pool it is.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
2013-05-14 6:49 PM

Danelle,

Thanks for sharing your story.  You finished!!!  That's what counts!

As part of my race report, I'll start with my sprint tri last year was on the same course and the water was 57 degrees.  I too felt like I was drowning, I looked for my angel and they were busy saving others.....as I was dizzy I rolled over and did some easy back stroke.  Last year, when I came of the water, Allie has a video of me running sideways I was so disoriented.  I could not get my wet suit off.  The guy next to me ripped it off and said get on your bike and go.  Thanks goodness, if I had not gotten on the bike I would not be doing tri's today. 

Fast forward, first race of this year.  60 degree water but I had an extra cap and ear plugs and I was fine.

swim - 500 yards - 8:53

bike   31:23

run 24:20

transistions 1:20 ish each

Total time was 1:08:00

Yes, this got me on the podium as a "big boy" - and I am a solid 225 lbs so not just over 200 lbs so it felt good to beat some young wiper snappers.

Rain was crazy - It was fun to pass Allie and flirt.  It was great to meet at the finish line!

We both did a 14 mile ride with a local group for a time trial tonight.  It was great - my best ride of the year two days after my first race....14 miles 38:21 = 22 mph.

Getting stronger.

Train smart and HAVE FUN!!!!

2013-05-14 7:39 PM

User image

Allie,

If you log in on my computer, you should log out.....so I'm not posting under your name.

Sorry all.

Hehe

Jeff

2013-05-20 6:20 PM
in reply to: jwmorrill

User image

New user
Getting anxious for my first tri in 13 days, Hope everyone is training hard even though we have been archived.

Did my first half marathon this past weekend. i did well, i won't bore you with the details but it is all in my race report
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17