of 41

2013-01-15 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4579832

New user
Chicago
Subject: RE: RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED
phishinphan - 2013-01-15 2:51 PM

Wow I have a lot to learn!

I'm glad I'm not planning an IM for a couple years, phew!

Another gear question for you all...has anyone used one of those ant + dongles for the iphone (like THIS)? I know the iphone is not legal in races so that's an issue for later, but in either case I want to get a heart rate strap, foot pod and cadence sensor (although my bike has a flight deck 601). With the dongle I would spend about $185 for all of it. Or I could spend about $300 and have the same stuff feeding to a watch.  I love the Garmin 910xt but I have an issue paying more for a training watch and gear than I did for my bike!

I have a 310xt.  It is kick .  Much much better than the Timex Ironman Running thing I had before. 

The screen is super easy to read, you can pre program workouts based on cadence, HR, pace, time, different intervals, it keeps track of everything. edit: and if you have specific pace or HR goals it'll beep at you if you go outside of the upper or lower limits. 

The Garmin Connect software is great.  You can compare workouts, prepare workouts, really useful tool I think. 

Its like 250 on amazon + 37 for the bike stuff and not sure about the foot sensor. 

I don't run with my phone and I don't like to have it anywhere but my bike bag as I have a propensity to drop and knock things over. 

Edited by arock84 2013-01-15 6:14 PM

2013-01-15 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4550197

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Pierce - I've used my iPhone with apps for running and biking. Problem is the GPS chews into the battery something fierce and I imagine worse with Ant accessories. I can just get a 2.5 hr MTB ride in with it. If I were you I'd take Tim's advice and go for the watch option.

KC - welcome back!
2013-01-15 10:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Hi Team!

I was gone at a conference in Dallas this weekend for Athletic Training educators.  Great conference but my brain was fried by the end!  I was able to get a little running in each day on the treadmill...it was a little challenging since there were only five treadmills and well, being an athletic trainer's conference, lots of people there wanting to get a run in before the sessions each day.

Yesterday I did my run circuit, and I am SORE today...feeling it in the hamstrings especially.  I did an easy short run and stretched.  Tomorrow is swim training, a bike session with my friend Anna, and another short run.  I am doing an indoor marathon relay on Saturday, and will be running mile repeats.  Should be interesting.

Regarding the nutrition posts- something I wanted to chime in on is make sure if you plan on using the Perform on race day, you use it in training as well.  I started out with Perform as part of my nutrition plan for IMWI last year and ended up swapping it out with Accelerade because as I increased the time I was training and taking it in, I started to have GI issues with it.  I have found that many people have problems with the Perform, so just be sure to use it when you train to make sure you can handle it okay. 

I also found that on the bike I did really well with red potatoes.  I bought the smaller bite sized ones and microwaved them, squeezed them till they opened a little, and then threw them in a baggie with some sea salt.  They worked really well for me.  I also used pretzels, Gu Gels, and Powerbar Gel Blasts as well.  After awhile I couldn't handle all the gels, powerbars, etc. and the potatoes were a great alternative.

Well I am off to bed for the night!

Jenny

2013-01-16 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
So my weather at the top of my BT training blog for Chicago says for Friday - High of 19 Low of 24.  This global warming thing is crazy.
2013-01-16 9:00 AM

User image

Thanks for the gear thoughts guys. I typically use my phone for music but I need to get away from the habbit since it's not allowed in races. Mostly I want the electronics to track heart rate and cadence while on trainer and treadmill.  I can get by without the swim metrics for now. As my wife says, why not wait and actually COMPLETE a triathlon before spending $500 on a watch. That logic is hard to argue with.

KC- the swimming is going "ok".  I think I'm going to change up from a 2x swim plan to 3x and readjust my other training days to meet that.

If any of you could take a look, I attached my workout plan that I came up with last week. It's all still tentative at this point. Right now my goal race is March 24. That gives me 10 weeks from this coming Sunday. It's a sprint, 500 meter swim, 9 mile ride (3 laps in downtown city streets), 5k.  I know it looks like I'm over training for a sprint, but my ultimate goal is for longer distance. I can comfortably complete the bike and run distances and am building to the combined brick distance.

I workout at the YMCA 2 blocks from work at lunch and I also have the mornings but after work is dedicated to wife/3 boys. The definitive things to work around are: 1-Monday cross fit 2-Wednesday short run. These are with prayer groups at my church. Otherwise The schedule is flexible. I thought about buying one of the sufferfest videos to play on my iphone while I'm on the spin cycles instead of doing a spin class.

Any input is greatly appreciated.  FWIW I looked at the sprint training plans but didn't feel like they pushed me hard enough.

Attachments
----------------
workout plan.xlsx (11KB - 9 downloads)
2013-01-16 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4580430

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Jen - great tip on making sure you try the products that are going to be available on the race course - I also think that we all need to just pay close attention to the fact we need to practice and try things to make sure they are good for us.

Jennifers - 2013-01-15 11:26 PM

Hi Team!

I was gone at a conference in Dallas this weekend for Athletic Training educators.  Great conference but my brain was fried by the end!  I was able to get a little running in each day on the treadmill...it was a little challenging since there were only five treadmills and well, being an athletic trainer's conference, lots of people there wanting to get a run in before the sessions each day.

Yesterday I did my run circuit, and I am SORE today...feeling it in the hamstrings especially.  I did an easy short run and stretched.  Tomorrow is swim training, a bike session with my friend Anna, and another short run.  I am doing an indoor marathon relay on Saturday, and will be running mile repeats.  Should be interesting.

Regarding the nutrition posts- something I wanted to chime in on is make sure if you plan on using the Perform on race day, you use it in training as well.  I started out with Perform as part of my nutrition plan for IMWI last year and ended up swapping it out with Accelerade because as I increased the time I was training and taking it in, I started to have GI issues with it.  I have found that many people have problems with the Perform, so just be sure to use it when you train to make sure you can handle it okay. 

I also found that on the bike I did really well with red potatoes.  I bought the smaller bite sized ones and microwaved them, squeezed them till they opened a little, and then threw them in a baggie with some sea salt.  They worked really well for me.  I also used pretzels, Gu Gels, and Powerbar Gel Blasts as well.  After awhile I couldn't handle all the gels, powerbars, etc. and the potatoes were a great alternative.

Well I am off to bed for the night!

Jenny

2013-01-16 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4580803

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Pierce. I like the idea of adding another swim. The more you are in the water the more comfortable you will be on race day and going forward. Your plan looks fine - you are going to do great. Where are you planning on adding the extra swim?

phishinphan - 2013-01-16 10:00 AM

Thanks for the gear thoughts guys. I typically use my phone for music but I need to get away from the habbit since it's not allowed in races. Mostly I want the electronics to track heart rate and cadence while on trainer and treadmill.  I can get by without the swim metrics for now. As my wife says, why not wait and actually COMPLETE a triathlon before spending $500 on a watch. That logic is hard to argue with.

KC- the swimming is going "ok".  I think I'm going to change up from a 2x swim plan to 3x and readjust my other training days to meet that.

If any of you could take a look, I attached my workout plan that I came up with last week. It's all still tentative at this point. Right now my goal race is March 24. That gives me 10 weeks from this coming Sunday. It's a sprint, 500 meter swim, 9 mile ride (3 laps in downtown city streets), 5k.  I know it looks like I'm over training for a sprint, but my ultimate goal is for longer distance. I can comfortably complete the bike and run distances and am building to the combined brick distance.

I workout at the YMCA 2 blocks from work at lunch and I also have the mornings but after work is dedicated to wife/3 boys. The definitive things to work around are: 1-Monday cross fit 2-Wednesday short run. These are with prayer groups at my church. Otherwise The schedule is flexible. I thought about buying one of the sufferfest videos to play on my iphone while I'm on the spin cycles instead of doing a spin class.

Any input is greatly appreciated.  FWIW I looked at the sprint training plans but didn't feel like they pushed me hard enough.

2013-01-16 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4579098

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Tim - I used paddles on and off all last year but I am very cautios when I do use them to make sure I avoid any shoulder issues. (listen to me giving swimming advice LOL Surprised)

tmoran80 - 2013-01-15 9:59 AM

Don't get me wrong about the use of swim aids at all.  I use flippers for all my drills especially for one arm, catchup or any other "arm drills so that it can allow me to focus on the form and not losing my speed.  Plus it helps break the workout up a bit. But in general it is a good idea to limit the pool toys.  Does anyone use paddles consistently in your training?  I started doing my pull drills with no paddles last year because Fink plan thinks they cause shoulder injury which I tend to agree with.

kruzmeister - 2013-01-15 2:32 AM

Interesting thread Tim. I am so glad I stuck to the one piece of advice I got when I started back after 18 years of not swimming and that was, do not rely on swimming aids, but learn to correct your technique.

It was hard going to start with and I could barely swim 50 metres without running out of breath, but I took it slow till I could breathe comfortably on my right side only, and then I took the plunge and taught myself bilateral. Finally after all the time doing drills etc, the speed is coming also. I know that swim aids have their place, but I now personally think for me swimming without them has been a smart move and allowed me to find my gills, so as to speak.

I am still relatively slow compared to most other triathletes, but I know eventually that will improve too, besides I just want to make the cutoff times comfortably. I see people all the time at my local pool using flippers and hand paddles and snorkles, they do lap after lap after lap, but then they take them off and guess who passes them! Yep slow old me! :P

2013-01-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4580910

User image

kcgolf - 2013-01-16 10:48 AM

Pierce. I like the idea of adding another swim. The more you are in the water the more comfortable you will be on race day and going forward. Your plan looks fine - you are going to do great. Where are you planning on adding the extra swim?

Not sure yet KC. I could probably do Tue/Wed/Thur and skip on the Wednesday strength training.

2013-01-16 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4579700

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Tim  I am glad you brought this up again because I dont think I mentioned this to the group after IM NYC last year but during the run - I seriously had to pee almost at every aid station duing the last half of the run. I know you have mentioned this before as an issue you have had. I need some serious help in my strategy for this years races. What has been your strategy to cut down on so many trips to the washroom? I like your logic in this post. I drink the Perform but not solely for nutrition. My stomach can handle anything to be honest so I really need to look at strategies to make sure I take in enough liquid - but just enough so I don't feel like all I have to do is PEE when I am out there running. Yell

tmoran80 - 2013-01-15 2:46 PM

Deb if you can get enough calories then by all means do it.  Can you handle solid food or are you thinking mostly fluids?Where I get concerned is when you figure how many Performs you to drink to drink to get your calories.  For example one 8 oz. serving of Perpetuem 270 calories.  You would need to drink almost 4 servings of Perform to get the same amount of calories.  If that was me I would be stopping every mile to pee.Laughing

I really think the concentrated bottles of nutrition (Infinit, First Endurance, Hammer, etc...)are the way to go supplemented with what is on the course.  Just my opinion though.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-15 11:19 AM I am considering going with what's available on course. Thoughts on this...?

2013-01-16 9:59 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

One more post - GOOD MORNING TEAM.

I got to the pool today Smile. I am still taking it easy - just did 1300 meters and it wore me out but I enjoyed being in the water again. I concetrated on TI drills and some work with the tempo trainer. I might not do anything else today but damn it felt good to be doing something again.

Have a great day team.

KC

2013-01-16 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4580803

User image

Expert

The plan looks pretty good.  You are right - it is a little more than required for a Sprint but if the goal is longer distance than it will work.  It is not too aggressive and the distance increases are very manageable.  One issue I would be concerned with is your swim workouts.  You might want to mix them up a bit.  Are those just your main sets or the complete workout? Are you doing any warmups or cool down?  I would look at incorporating some different workouts to build your speed, form and endurance.  Maybe add some drills?  Here is a good website that you can use to give you some ideas - www.swimplan.com.  Last year when I added drills to every workout it took my swimming to the next level. Doesn't have to be much but 100-200Y a session.  If you need some ideas for drills let me know.

Overall you might want to mix up all the workouts just a bit.  If you are a strong runner maybe throw in some basic speed work on Wednesdays.  The spin class will help a ton but you might want to start incorporating more actual bike time after week 6 or 7.  The key is too keep it fresh and also avoid repetitiveness which can lead to injury and partial insanity Wink.

I think it is a great starting point though.

phishinphan - 2013-01-16 9:00 AM

2013-01-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4580934

User image

Expert

Great to see you back KC!  Glad you are getting back in the swing of things.  Good idea to lay off the rest of the day. Just take it easy and get strong for the start of your IM plan.

kcgolf - 2013-01-16 9:59 AM

One more post - GOOD MORNING TEAM.

I got to the pool today Smile. I am still taking it easy - just did 1300 meters and it wore me out but I enjoyed being in the water again. I concetrated on TI drills and some work with the tempo trainer. I might not do anything else today but damn it felt good to be doing something again.

Have a great day team.

KC

2013-01-16 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4580930

User image

Expert

With the Hammer Perpetuem I have my 4 hour bottle.  I mark lines on my water bottle for every hour so I know exactly what I need to drink.  I set my watch alarm for every 15 minutes and I take a gulp.  Every 30 minutes I take a Hammer gel.  That covers my nutrition.  For fluids I just base it off the weather.  For my training rides I take two bottles water and 1 bottle perform.  If you are peeing too much - back off the fluids.  If you haven't pee'd in a while (you are most likely screwed already) but you hit the fluids more.  It sounds complicated but by separating my nutrition from my fluid intake I have more control.  Now at IMWI last year I did stop about 4 times to use the outhouse on the bike but in my mind I knew I was hydrated - plus they had kids that would hold my bike and top off all my bottle while i was in the porta potty so it was literally like a pit stop with a crew haha 

kcgolf - 2013-01-16 9:57 AM

Tim  I am glad you brought this up again because I dont think I mentioned this to the group after IM NYC last year but during the run - I seriously had to pee almost at every aid station duing the last half of the run. I know you have mentioned this before as an issue you have had. I need some serious help in my strategy for this years races. What has been your strategy to cut down on so many trips to the washroom? I like your logic in this post. I drink the Perform but not solely for nutrition. My stomach can handle anything to be honest so I really need to look at strategies to make sure I take in enough liquid - but just enough so I don't feel like all I have to do is PEE when I am out there running. Yell

Deb if you can get enough calories then by all means do it.  Can you handle solid food or are you thinking mostly fluids?Where I get concerned is when you figure how many Performs you to drink to drink to get your calories.  For example one 8 oz. serving of Perpetuem 270 calories.  You would need to drink almost 4 servings of Perform to get the same amount of calories.  If that was me I would be stopping every mile to pee.Laughing

I really think the concentrated bottles of nutrition (Infinit, First Endurance, Hammer, etc...)are the way to go supplemented with what is on the course.  Just my opinion though.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-15 11:19 AM I am considering going with what's available on course. Thoughts on this...?

2013-01-16 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4580948

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Pierce - listen to what Tim is saying here - makes great sense. I am going to take at look at this swimplan site, looks good.

tmoran80 - 2013-01-16 11:08 AM

The plan looks pretty good.  You are right - it is a little more than required for a Sprint but if the goal is longer distance than it will work.  It is not too aggressive and the distance increases are very manageable.  One issue I would be concerned with is your swim workouts.  You might want to mix them up a bit.  Are those just your main sets or the complete workout? Are you doing any warmups or cool down?  I would look at incorporating some different workouts to build your speed, form and endurance.  Maybe add some drills?  Here is a good website that you can use to give you some ideas - www.swimplan.com.  Last year when I added drills to every workout it took my swimming to the next level. Doesn't have to be much but 100-200Y a session.  If you need some ideas for drills let me know.

Overall you might want to mix up all the workouts just a bit.  If you are a strong runner maybe throw in some basic speed work on Wednesdays.  The spin class will help a ton but you might want to start incorporating more actual bike time after week 6 or 7.  The key is too keep it fresh and also avoid repetitiveness which can lead to injury and partial insanity Wink.

I think it is a great starting point though.

phishinphan - 2013-01-16 9:00 AM

2013-01-16 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4580971

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Tim - it is great to be back let me tell you. Your ideas sound great and I am going to start thinking about how I might be able to implement them. I love the idea of having kids/vols taking care of your nutrition needs during a pee break - great idea. In NY and NJ I was worried about my bike still being there when I got out of the toilet Laughing.

KC

tmoran80 - 2013-01-16 11:17 AM

With the Hammer Perpetuem I have my 4 hour bottle.  I mark lines on my water bottle for every hour so I know exactly what I need to drink.  I set my watch alarm for every 15 minutes and I take a gulp.  Every 30 minutes I take a Hammer gel.  That covers my nutrition.  For fluids I just base it off the weather.  For my training rides I take two bottles water and 1 bottle perform.  If you are peeing too much - back off the fluids.  If you haven't pee'd in a while (you are most likely screwed already) but you hit the fluids more.  It sounds complicated but by separating my nutrition from my fluid intake I have more control.  Now at IMWI last year I did stop about 4 times to use the outhouse on the bike but in my mind I knew I was hydrated - plus they had kids that would hold my bike and top off all my bottle while i was in the porta potty so it was literally like a pit stop with a crew haha 

kcgolf - 2013-01-16 9:57 AM

2013-01-16 12:20 PM

Regular
Sheboygan, WI
Good Wednesday, Team RFP!

Question: I am thinking of upgrading to a Xterra Vector Pro from the Xterra Vortex. Last year at the Ironman Racine, I noticed that my shoulders were a little fatigued, but not too bad. My concern is that IM Wisconsin will be twice as far. I think it would be okay with the Vortex, but I am wondering if anyone else has done a wetsuit upgrade and felt it was worth it. Plus, what did you do with your old wetsuit?

Tim

What flavors of Perpetuem have you tried? I am thinking of trying it instead of Infinit. Last year for training, I used Accelerade Hydro since it was so light on the stomach, but it is also too light on the calories.

Thanks for the nutrition tips. I will definitely need to have a PLAN. I just sort of "winged-it" last year at my HIM.

Timmer

2013-01-16 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4580122

User image

Chicago

KC - The heels are doing better. I put in a 6 miler and a 5 miler within the last 5 days and I am not experiencing a lot of pain. I hope this continues so that i can begin a routine with my runs. Steching really helps

Great to see that you are feeling better.

kcgolf - 2013-01-15 5:56 PM

Hi Team.

OK - Think I am up to speed and again thanks for being patient with me these past 4 or 5 days.

Dennis - I use Newtons and have been using them for 2 years now and Love them. For some reason I was probably lucky and did not have muc trouble getting use to them. A bit pricey, but I would suggest them to anyone.

AJ - I have the Kurt Kinetic trainer ( not the one that rocks) I upgraded late last fall and love it. Regarding swimming, I would for sure suggest a private lesson or 2 but would also caution you to make sure you are getting it from someone who does triathlons or has done them. I can only tell you that most of this group can attest to the fact that I commented many times on how much I struggled with the swim and still worry about it - but you will get it! Don't stop trying. One more thing - nice running - you could do the dog paddle for crying out load and still kick my a$$ at the end a race with times like that.

Jennifer - love the 3d stretches.

Lori - I just finished putting my IM plan together - used BT to do it and it starts on Feb 4. 3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs per week. I love the paddles you suggested for swimming. You nutrition plan looks excellent and I am looking forward to the spread sheet when you have it built. I will dig mine up from NYC last year and post it when I find it. I can tell eveyone this though - when I was done that race I never wanted to see anothe bonk breaker for the rest of my life Yell

Tim - I know you sent me your plan last year but I would love to see it again [email protected]  It is great to hear you are cleared for training again and I am glad you have recovered. Has the docter cleared you for wearing the red shorts yet? Laughing

Pierce - how is your swim coming along? When I get my video back from the TI clinic I will post them on Youtube for eveyone to take a look at.

Gil - how is the heel?

Deb - how is the ankle?

KTC - so sorry to hear about the running group.I hope they warm up to you soon because the have no idea what they are missing.

WTB - awesome news on being selected  to be a showcased athlete. Make sure you keep us posted on it and hopefully we can see what you are doing with some vids?

Scott - as usual, you rock and keep us motivated, keep it up.

Simone - Have you done any research on Chi Running?

OK - I think I am up to speed. I hope everyone is staying healthy. My body is in a bit of pain from the flu and from laying around so much. I am looking forward to easing back into the swing of things and starting my IM plan on Feb 4. Have a great week everyone.

KC

2013-01-16 12:53 PM

User image

Chicago

Hello Everyone,

I have missed a lot of activity on the blogging and there are many interesting conversations going on. I have been resting my running legs due to my Achilles problem but I am feeling much better. I'm grateful for all the advice that I have been getting from the group. I have been watching the videos that everyone has been recommending and they are very interesting. I can see that I have a lot to work to do especially with my swimming. I really liked the swimsmooth wed site. A lot of interesteing things on there.

Although I'm active every day I am mostly doing maintenance work since my first Tri will not be until May. I'm using the time to really work on swimming techniques and ramping up the power on the bike. Another one of my weak areas are hills on the bike. I would like to get stronger on hills so I'm concentrating in this area during this off season. My goal is to do an Olympic Tri this coming summer and I could use all the advice that I can get.

Have a great day!

Gil

2013-01-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4581224

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Timmer.

I have the Vortex and the vortex sleeveless. I used the sleeveless for IM NYC last year and I have only used the full sleeve vortex a few times and felt exactly the same way - restricted in the shoulders. I decided to buy the nineteen frequency this wintere and I can't wait to give it a try. As for right now, my vortex is still in my possesion but I am going to try to seel it this spring.

I wont get much for it but I dont need it now.

KC

tkaufmann60 - 2013-01-16 1:20 PM Good Wednesday, Team RFP! Question: I am thinking of upgrading to a Xterra Vector Pro from the Xterra Vortex. Last year at the Ironman Racine, I noticed that my shoulders were a little fatigued, but not too bad. My concern is that IM Wisconsin will be twice as far. I think it would be okay with the Vortex, but I am wondering if anyone else has done a wetsuit upgrade and felt it was worth it. Plus, what did you do with your old wetsuit? Tim What flavors of Perpetuem have you tried? I am thinking of trying it instead of Infinit. Last year for training, I used Accelerade Hydro since it was so light on the stomach, but it is also too light on the calories. Thanks for the nutrition tips. I will definitely need to have a PLAN. I just sort of "winged-it" last year at my HIM. Timmer

2013-01-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4581284

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Gil.

Hills Yell. I just read this article in the January issue of Trathlete Magazine - here is how Chris Lieto climbs. Hope this helps.

KC

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/01/training/how-to-climb-every-hill_69122

FYI - make sure you check out all 3 pages for strategies on all different types of hills.

gdelamora - 2013-01-16 1:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have missed a lot of activity on the blogging and there are many interesting conversations going on. I have been resting my running legs due to my Achilles problem but I am feeling much better. I'm grateful for all the advice that I have been getting from the group. I have been watching the videos that everyone has been recommending and they are very interesting. I can see that I have a lot to work to do especially with my swimming. I really liked the swimsmooth wed site. A lot of interesteing things on there.

Although I'm active every day I am mostly doing maintenance work since my first Tri will not be until May. I'm using the time to really work on swimming techniques and ramping up the power on the bike. Another one of my weak areas are hills on the bike. I would like to get stronger on hills so I'm concentrating in this area during this off season. My goal is to do an Olympic Tri this coming summer and I could use all the advice that I can get.

Have a great day!

Gil

Edited by kcgolf 2013-01-16 1:48 PM

2013-01-16 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4581224

User image

Expert

Personally I don't see a reason for a full wetsuit unless you are constantly swimming in cold water below 60.  I just don't want to be restricted in the shoulders like you mentioned.  Racine was what? - 67 degrees last year and I was perfectly comfortable.  Even Galena which water is usually in the 50's can be dealt with cuz its shorter distance.  IMWI last year water temp was 70 (even though it was 45 outside temp haha).  I upgraded last year to Synergy Endorphin ONLY because hand me down suit had about 3  tubes worth of AquaSeal patches and the left leg ripped off at Racine 2011.  I am a cheap SOB and I figure I only wear the suit 5-6 times a year so why spend a fortune haha.  I think I just threw the old one in my recycling bin at the curb.  Can that even be recycled?

As far as Perpetuem flavor I mostly used the Caffe Latte.  I tried the Orange Vanilla but honestly couldn't really taste the difference haha.  Being a coffee drinker I just imagined drinking coffee that had sat on the table for about an hour and it got me through!  Try it first though before you order big tub.  If you call them they might even send you a free sampler of all their products.  I was surprised at the taste but got used to it by race day.

tkaufmann60 - 2013-01-16 12:20 PM Good Wednesday, Team RFP! Question: I am thinking of upgrading to a Xterra Vector Pro from the Xterra Vortex. Last year at the Ironman Racine, I noticed that my shoulders were a little fatigued, but not too bad. My concern is that IM Wisconsin will be twice as far. I think it would be okay with the Vortex, but I am wondering if anyone else has done a wetsuit upgrade and felt it was worth it. Plus, what did you do with your old wetsuit? Tim What flavors of Perpetuem have you tried? I am thinking of trying it instead of Infinit. Last year for training, I used Accelerade Hydro since it was so light on the stomach, but it is also too light on the calories. Thanks for the nutrition tips. I will definitely need to have a PLAN. I just sort of "winged-it" last year at my HIM. Timmer

2013-01-16 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
I got the "you gotta be kidding me" look from my wife this morning as I came back from the pool and was packing gym bag #2 for my run at lunch.  I think she was enjoying "fat and lazy" Tim and realized she now has to deal with "I am a triathlete and am really tired" Tim again.Surprised
2013-01-16 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4581389

User image

Chicago

KC - Thanks for the article. I will try to remember it while on the hills.

kcgolf - 2013-01-16 1:47 PM

Hi Gil.

Hills Yell. I just read this article in the January issue of Trathlete Magazine - here is how Chris Lieto climbs. Hope this helps.

KC

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/01/training/how-to-climb-every-hill_69122

FYI - make sure you check out all 3 pages for strategies on all different types of hills.

gdelamora - 2013-01-16 1:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

Have a great day!

Gil

2013-01-16 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Hey Team,

hope everybody is well and those who have been sick or injured are starting to feel better.

I just came from my doctor's office with some great news. Prior to going on the Whole30 eating plan I had elevated cholesterol and my blood sugar levels were bordering on type II diabetes, my blood pressure was in the normal to high range and well my weight was weightier. Just found out that my cholesterol and blood sugar levels have come well down into the normal range, my blood pressure is now perfect, and my weight is starting to fall off. About the only things to watch are my kidney function and thyroid which can be elevated because of the meds I'm on. I also got strict instructions to stay well hydrated, so KC looks like I'll be stopping for regular pee breaks on the bike too!! Hehehe.

But seriously this is great news for me as I have really struggled with my health mentally and physically for a very long time. Also being told that the bipolar meds can cause obesity, heart problems and diabetes didn't help, but I guess I am living proof that you can reverse the damage you've done to yourself through binge eating and not giving a sh*t about life. I've also proved you can lose weight on these meds if you are disciplined enough. My psych doc told me last week I was a role model, been a long time since I've heard that and it felt pretty good too, she'll be stoked when she hears about my blood results.

I've decided I'm going to splurge on a Garmin 910XT to celebrate. I bought a Polar RS300X, but the GPS device is huge and after reading a review on the 910XT I'm convinced it will really help me with my training, not only the HR stuff, but also the intervals you can program, the open water swimming function and the various settings and alarms etc. I rang the store where I got the Polar from and they are happy to swap them and all I need do is pay the difference. Next to my bike this will be the most expensive thing I've bought, but I think it will pay me back in buckets and besides, I've earned it!

Hope everyone has a great finish to the week and an even better weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RFP GROUP 2013 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41