BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-12 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Veteran
Denton
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Suzy, I am glad you are ok. It sounds pretty scary and hopefully you will heal up fast. 

My vote is for tri shorts also. I don't own any cycling shorts at all because I figured the faster I get used to it the better. 

2013-05-12 9:31 PM

User image

Expert

Suzy - wow, glad you are OK. 

Shorts - I like the DeSoto brand with the float pad.  On shorter rides, I will sometimes use shorts with very minimal padding.  I find that excessive padding causes my privates to get numb (?too much info).

Saturday was my day off, today I got in a 2450 yd swim followed by a 39 mile bike ride (trainer).

Looking forward to the return of warm weather.  We were in the low 40's this afternoon, windy and rain. 

Jim

2013-05-12 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Yikes, Suzy! Glad you are ok

I hope this posts, but here is my race report from today. I am VERY pleased with how I did, considering my lack of training. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=487957

I did this race in 2011, here is the breakdown of improvements Cool

Swim:
2011: 5:01, 6th place
2013: 4:42, 2nd place

Bike:
2011: 29:46, Pace 16.1, 35th place
2013: 26:14, Pace 18.3, 25th place

Run:
2011: 24:22, Pace 12:11, 45th place
2013: 24:07, Pace 12:03, 47th place 

Although I did not train for this, my fitness level is better. Tuesday I start my 16 week plan.... here goes!

2013-05-13 12:31 AM

User image

Champion
Sorry about the crash Suzy!
2013-05-13 12:35 AM

User image

Champion
Long training day for me. And it was a hot one out here. Did a 15k run on Alii Drive and a just sub 90k ride on the Queen K. The lava fields make it HOT as you go up island and the winds are def no joke. Haha. Had a Longboard Ale from the Kona Brewery as my post ride treat. Did my run this am before it go super hot
2013-05-13 5:41 AM
in reply to: #4739005

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

wannabefaster - 2013-05-12 8:02 PM I don't ride at all in cycling shorts. Only Tri shorts. I love te DeSoto Forza Riviera shorts with the float pad that Randy has talked about. I think this pad is better than most cycling short pads and while thicker than a typical Tri short chamois, it is still thin enough that it is not noticeable on the run. I have also used the Kiwami Prima short and really like its pad as well. Once you get your under carriage used to riding on Tri shorts it really becomes no big deal. I don't love Tri shorts with only the little layer of fleece chamois. I guess I DO need more pad than that. Wetsuit storage. I just lay mine flat in the bottom of the closet once it is dry. I don't hang it but I have nothing definitive that says my way is best. It is just what I do. Suzy, sorry to hear about your crash. Sounds scary. It is just no fun when you hit te pavement off your bike. Sounds like you are walking away in pretty good shape over-all but I bet you are really sore tomorrow. Time to replace that helmet as well. Don't want to take the chance that it doesn't function right if there is a next time.

My coach told me the same thing.  That helmet was brand new, only the second ride and not cheap!!  It does have a ding where my head in the pavement and skidded.  Do you still think it should be replaced?  After yesterday, I've never been so happy to have my head covered.  Very sore today, but I appear to be walking normally and breathing only hurts a little. Recovery day on tap.

Regarding tri shorts again,  for anything HIM or shorter I always wear tri shorts.  I've experimented with many (Oomph, Garneau, Zoot) and come to like Castelli the best.  As a female, the pad is thin, but sits well so chafing is eliminated most of the time.  I also think the saddle plays a role in it.  I used to ride a Terry Butterfly and switched to a Selle SMP lite 209 and love it. 

2013-05-13 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4739207

User image

Champion

mndymond - 2013-05-13 12:35 AM Long training day for me. And it was a hot one out here. Did a 15k run on Alii Drive and a just sub 90k ride on the Queen K. The lava fields make it HOT as you go up island and the winds are def no joke. Haha. Had a Longboard Ale from the Kona Brewery as my post ride treat. Did my run this am before it go super hot

Love living vicariously through you!  I know exactly where you were running.  Have fun and stay hydrated!

2013-05-13 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4738207

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Jamie - Nice job on Saturday!!  I would like to take partial credit for your accomplishments for my part in this cheering squad!

Melissa enjoy Kona

Karla - what kind of pup are you getting!  That's so exciting!!  And nice job on the race!!

Jason -  Hope your little girl is feeling better

Nate - Your overall performance looked pretty good t me!

Rachel sounds like you are on track and ready to go!

Oh no Suzy - hope you get back on that bike asap - and as others have said REPLACE THE HELMET!

I'm about to buy tri shorts - it's kind of ironic that's the topic of discussion today!  I just bought my USAT license to sign up for a duathlon this weekend.  I'm eyeing some 2xu shorts - I really need to pull the trigger today though.

Hope everyone had a good mothers day - I took mine to Fenway park to watch the Sox get destroyed by the Blue Jays. We still had fun though.

ok, off to work!

Randee

2013-05-13 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Suzy - glad you're ok.  Any crash you can walk (ride) away from is a good day.  That said, look after yourself and make sure you get checked out if anything isn't healing fast.  

And ABSOLUTELY get that helmet replaced.  They're designed so that the force is dissipated through the interior of the helmet (not into your head), which means that the damage isn't always where you'd expect.  After I crashed in Switzerland last year there was no visible damage on the top of the helmet where I'd landed, but a massive crack at the back from where the force went through.  I know how hard I hit the ground from the damage I did to my shoulder and skin, but my head came out of it pretty much unscathed.  And that's why I'll never get on a bike without a helmet.

(ironically, after I fell, the first thing I remember saying to my husband while I was lying on the ground was "I'm going to need a new helmet")

Edited by chapfallen 2013-05-13 6:54 AM
2013-05-13 6:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

On the topic of shorts, I mostly ride in tri shorts.  I have recently bought a pair of cycle shorts with a gel pad to see if they're better for longer rides, but I'm still unconvinced.  Quality (and fit) of the chamois is IMO much more important than thickness.  I started off in cheap shorts, and even though they have a thicker pad they were never as comfortable.

For short tri's I never bother with chamois cream - my tri suits are pretty snug and fit well, so I don't find they move enough for chafing to be an issue over the short distances.

For longer rides I use a woman specific chamois cream called HooHa Ride Glide. It was recommended to me by a previous (male) mentor who had borrowed some off a lady on a group ride after he forgot his.  From his report it doesn't work so well for boys!  But I really like it.

2013-05-13 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4739303

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
chapfallen - 2013-05-13 6:52 AM

For short tri's I never bother with chamois cream - my tri suits are pretty snug and fit well, so I don't find they move enough for chafing to be an issue over the short distances.

so tell me about Tri suits.  I see people wearing them over tri shorts when they get out of the water.....

dress me

2013-05-13 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4739306

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
mtnbikerchk - 2013-05-13 12:56 PM

so tell me about Tri suits.  I see people wearing them over tri shorts when they get out of the water.....

dress me

It's basically just a swim suit with built in shorts.  It has a pad in the shorts for the bike, but it's thin so it doesn't impact on the run.  For a short tri it's very convenient because there's not much opportunity for anything to move around.  Some of the ladies ones I've found have built in sports bras, but I actually prefer to choose my own sports bra (I have a specific one that I bought for racing that works for me).

I can't really recommend brands because all of mine are club colours (so I don't get a choice in the brand) or More Mile, which I think is a UK specific brand.

I've worn my tri suits for up to HIM distance and been really happy with them.  I only got separates (tri shorts and tri top) for IM because of the need for restroom breaks (it's REALLY hard to pee quickly in a tri suit!), and I still race all my sprints in a tri suit.

2013-05-13 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

I know it's going back in the conversation a little, but we were discussing wetsuit fit, and pulling around the shoulders.  I've been looking through my race report from last year for a long swim event I have coming up, and found this:

"I've been having trouble feeling like I'm fighting against my wetsuit. I was given some advice to make sure I used baby oil on my arms and shoulders and make sure there was plenty of water inside my wetsuit. I did all of that and I really think it helped. I felt a lot more comfortable and although the water was cold I felt like I got warm quite fast."

Just in case that helps anyone...

2013-05-13 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4739291

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
mtnbikerchk - 2013-05-13 6:35 AM

Karla - what kind of pup are you getting!  That's so exciting!!  And nice job on the race!!

Randee

Thank you Randee!

We got a boxer! He is about 2 and so calm! We have a little training to do, mostly listening to commands, but other than that, he his super gentle with the kids, doesnt jump on us or the furniture. Whomever let this dog get away is really missing out.

2013-05-13 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4739261

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
SSMinnow - 2013-05-13 6:41 AM

wannabefaster - 2013-05-12 8:02 PM I don't ride at all in cycling shorts. Only Tri shorts. I love te DeSoto Forza Riviera shorts with the float pad that Randy has talked about. I think this pad is better than most cycling short pads and while thicker than a typical Tri short chamois, it is still thin enough that it is not noticeable on the run. I have also used the Kiwami Prima short and really like its pad as well. Once you get your under carriage used to riding on Tri shorts it really becomes no big deal. I don't love Tri shorts with only the little layer of fleece chamois. I guess I DO need more pad than that. Wetsuit storage. I just lay mine flat in the bottom of the closet once it is dry. I don't hang it but I have nothing definitive that says my way is best. It is just what I do. Suzy, sorry to hear about your crash. Sounds scary. It is just no fun when you hit te pavement off your bike. Sounds like you are walking away in pretty good shape over-all but I bet you are really sore tomorrow. Time to replace that helmet as well. Don't want to take the chance that it doesn't function right if there is a next time.

My coach told me the same thing.  That helmet was brand new, only the second ride and not cheap!!  It does have a ding where my head in the pavement and skidded.  Do you still think it should be replaced?  After yesterday, I've never been so happy to have my head covered.  Very sore today, but I appear to be walking normally and breathing only hurts a little. Recovery day on tap.

Regarding tri shorts again,  for anything HIM or shorter I always wear tri shorts.  I've experimented with many (Oomph, Garneau, Zoot) and come to like Castelli the best.  As a female, the pad is thin, but sits well so chafing is eliminated most of the time.  I also think the saddle plays a role in it.  I used to ride a Terry Butterfly and switched to a Selle SMP lite 209 and love it. 

Yep. Any time a helmet hits the ground in a crash it has done its job and it is time to replace it. The deformation of the foam is a one and done type thing.

Many companies will replace a helmet involved in a crash for cheap. It might be worth it to contact the company and see what they say. In the 90s I crashed and broke a Bell helmet. They sent me a new one for $8. The only thing I had to do was fill out a form that described everything about the crash and send the old helmet back to them. I think they were collecting data on helmet performance in crashes.
2013-05-13 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Wow, Suzy I'm so glad you are okay. That's some scary stuff right there! Get that helmet replaced!

I like tri shorts the best. The thick padding was good when I was just starting to bike as it took several weeks to get my backside used to the saddle, but now I'm used to it and even find that any thicker than my tri shorts will cause me numbness in a place no man wants to feel numbness! Surprised

Karla, great job on your race! Always nice to see improvements!

Melissa, that sounds fantastic! Sounds like a place that would really motivate you to get out and train!

Rest day for me today and man do I need it. I hope my fitness comes back over the course of this week. My Friday run and my run during the race were pretty demoralizing, only because I know I can go faster without feeling so awful!

2013-05-13 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4739306

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mtnbikerchk - 2013-05-13 7:56 AM

dress me

If they are wearing them over their tri shorts they are likely a swim skin rather than just a tri suit. Swim skins allegedly make you faster via compression and hydrophobic fabrics that in theory help you slide through the water. I have one and wear it in non wetsuit legal swims. I like it. It needs to be TIGHT to really work much. Jordan Rapp wrote an article about swim skins in Lava magazine several months ago.

A tri suit is just a one piece short and top instead of separates. I have a couple of these. It is mostly personal preference whether you like the one piece tri suit or the two piece outfit. A lot of folks advise against the one piece for long course racing because it is harder to get out of for bathroom breaks. I was doing an Olympic race last year in a tri suit and had an impromptu, somewhat emergent, bathroom break and the one piece definitely took an extra couple seconds to get on and off again. That day I wished I would have been racing in shorts and top.

Some prefer the one piece because it prevents mid section (belly) exposure. Others want to be able to pull up their top and expose their belly for cooling. Again, personal preference.
2013-05-13 8:56 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Karla-great job in the race. An excellent start to the race season with nice improvement.

Trisuit/2 piece-I'm with Jason on that. I generally like a 2 piece suit although I have raced through oly distance in a 1 piece tri suit in a non wetsuit race. Some of the new 1 piece suits are made of material that is suppose to be very fast in the water. I wear a swim skin in non wetsuit races and in some of the sprints/super sprints down here where they don't require a top I will just race in tri shorts.  Guys, don't try to wear shorts only during a swim and then put a tri top on in T1.....really hard to get the top on when you are wet......I did this in my first tri and it took forever!

Fro race lubrication I will use some Body Glide anywhere that chaffing may be an issue and also use Aquaphor gel/jelly in my tri shorts. It has a little more substance to it than chamois cream but is clear so does not cause a problem if it bleeds through. Doesn't last as long as diaper rash cream but works well. I actually get the generic brand at Walmart/Dollar Store and it seems to work as well as the Aquaphor brand....same composition/ingredients.  

2013-05-13 9:26 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Is there somewhere that you guys go for tri gear reviews?  I'm looking at shorts on amazon and some of them don't have any reviews.  I've seen a few people here recommend the De Soto - I know it's personal preference but if 9 out of 10 people have the same opinion....I like those odds!
2013-05-13 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4739615

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mtnbikerchk - 2013-05-13 10:26 AM

Is there somewhere that you guys go for tri gear reviews?  I'm looking at shorts on amazon and some of them don't have any reviews.  I've seen a few people here recommend the De Soto - I know it's personal preference but if 9 out of 10 people have the same opinion....I like those odds!

Honestly, I look at the gear reviews on this site.

I also look at threads, both here and on ST. Using the search function may or may not get you the right info.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone that says much bad about the DeSoto products. I have one pair of DeSoto Forza shorts that I am only ok with. I have six pairs of Forza Rivieras and I love them. I also have a pair of the DeSoto 400 mile shorts and I am not convinced that I like the 400 mile pad any better than the Forza Riviera pad. If you order direct from DeSoto, they have a 30 day, iron clad, money back guarantee on everything they sell. With that being said, I am slowly converting my allegiance to the Kiwami Prima short. I like it as well or better (learned about them from a review/thread on ST and decided to try them out) and it is a little bit cheaper.

Interestingly, I hate the DeSoto tri tops. I just do not like the way they fit. I have tried pretty much every style of tri top they make and just cannot wear them. So, as much as I love their shorts, I can't tolerate the fit of the tops. For 'me' Zoot tri tops fit perfect and I have collected a bunch over the years by buying them whenever they are on deep discount. I love the fit of Zoot shorts as well but think that their pad leaves a lot to be desired.

I guess this is just a way of saying that people's allegiance to a product can be pretty personal and variable.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-05-13 10:24 AM
2013-05-13 11:40 AM

User image

Champion

How about a bike question that isn't related to falling?  Does anyone use a Quarq?  I just got the Elsa and I feel like the power readings are really low or sporadic. I looked at my TP file yesterday and it was all over the board and a good 40-60W lower than what I am used to seeing.   I didn't have the same issues with my Powertap with the Joule.   I read about calibration, manual zero and zeroing out, but all of this confuses me.  What's the appropriate calibration step?  I have a 510 that i use for the head unit.

Thanks!

2013-05-13 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4739550

User image

Champion
slornow - 2013-05-13 7:56 AM

Karla-great job in the race. An excellent start to the race season with nice improvement.

Trisuit/2 piece-I'm with Jason on that. I generally like a 2 piece suit although I have raced through oly distance in a 1 piece tri suit in a non wetsuit race. Some of the new 1 piece suits are made of material that is suppose to be very fast in the water. I wear a swim skin in non wetsuit races and in some of the sprints/super sprints down here where they don't require a top I will just race in tri shorts.  Guys, don't try to wear shorts only during a swim and then put a tri top on in T1.....really hard to get the top on when you are wet......I did this in my first tri and it took forever!

Fro race lubrication I will use some Body Glide anywhere that chaffing may be an issue and also use Aquaphor gel/jelly in my tri shorts. It has a little more substance to it than chamois cream but is clear so does not cause a problem if it bleeds through. Doesn't last as long as diaper rash cream but works well. I actually get the generic brand at Walmart/Dollar Store and it seems to work as well as the Aquaphor brand....same composition/ingredients.  

I also use Aquaphor in my shorts. I normally use the name brand but the drugstore here didnt have any so I have the CVS version.
2013-05-13 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4739735

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

wannabefaster - 2013-05-13 10:23 AM Honestly, I look at the gear reviews on this site.

I looked and I didn't see much for clothing

I pulled the trigger on 2 pairs - a 2xu and a De Soto.  I'll probably love them both

2013-05-13 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4740017

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
mndymond - 2013-05-13 12:18 PM
slornow - 2013-05-13 7:56 AM

I also use Aquaphor in my shorts. I normally use the name brand but the drugstore here didnt have any so I have the CVS version.

That's interest - never heard of using Aquaphor before!  NICE!

I've been using the Mission 5 hour.  I like it

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Athletecare-Anti-Chafe-Cream-2-Ounce/dp/B005G01FAS

2013-05-13 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4740073

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
I've used the same one piece for all my tris at this point. The main and only reason I want to change to a 2 piece is because using the bathroom is a pain in the butt! Sure, I don't need to stop off during a Sprint or Oly but even right before the race, I hate having to unzip the whole dang thing! I will definitely switch to a 2 piece before the Half IM in Raleigh. If I do have some sort of emergency, I don't want to have to mess around with zippers and so forth.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88