of 44

2013-05-30 7:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Naples
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by TrevorC

Hi. Been away on a course for 2 days so no BT check in time.
Sprint was fine....but funny story?

So I had a 310. screen was cracked. But decided to wear it anyone in the water. Saw my swim time, which was decent as I haven't swam at all.
Got out to the bike, and the screen was completely fogged over/under. So I did the bike and run without technology. Which, I've never really done.
I ran HARD. When I saw the results, I saw my run was 28:30. I was totally disappointed, as I thought I had ran wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than that. People were all talking about how long the run was. It was advertised at 5.2k, but mayby had 5.6-5.8k. So that made me feel a lot better about the run. Closer to 25 min/5k which was what I thought/hoped. so my lesson is if you go without technology, its best to know the exact distance.

Best part was I ordered a 910 for $100 off on Monday.

GREAT JOB! I always race with tech/computer on me or on bike, it gives me a sense of security. Funny thing is that my best bike split was when I forgot to put my computer on my bike in St. Anthony's Tri last year. We were late to start, my brother had put the address of the resturant we ate at the night before into GPS instead of the race location. Needless to say we barely made it!!!!

BTW a Ironman watch is about as Techie as I get

Edited by [email protected] 2013-05-30 7:53 AM

2013-05-30 9:04 AM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by kt65

Originally posted by bfwhitt

Originally posted by jfought

Last day with students for me.  Just got a free minute...sorry for the delay.

Sam's racing this weekend!!  Who else is ready to represent?  

Speaking of crushing it, what's your advice for improving your speed in any of the three disciplines?  What do you do, or what questions do you have?

No racing this weekend ...good luck Sam, Mike and Rob and all your others that are going to kill it !!

Speed training for running includes, skipping, and one legged jump drills, 40 yard stride sprints, and speed intervals. On the bike one legged spin, and speed intervals. Swimming is all about form and technique for me, but also throw in some speed skills and sprints....when I swim, which has no been very often lately.

I am having a lot of tightness when I start out on my runs lately in my right heel, it goes away after about the first 1/4 mile. Then my right achilles starts getting tight and my foot starts to go numb after about mile two. I do stop and stretch and that helps. Any suggestions out there on stretching before after and during?

Bruce, do you use the foam roller or any kind of trigger point? Rolling my calves and the dreaded IT band roll seems to keep my heel issues at bay...I've not had achilles problems but foot numbness doesn't sound good, are your shoelaces comfortable???

I started rolling the bottom of my foot(feet) on a lacrosse ball prior to running and also post running (at the advice of a PT/body work therapist).

If you guys have not tried skipping rope while running, try it! It is great to get you into that POSE/CHI form of slight lean and quick turnover...

Thanks Kim, I do have a foam roller.....do I have to use it? ....ughhhh I like the lacrosse ball idea I need to try that.
2013-05-30 7:02 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Elite
san francisco
Originally posted by velcromom

Skipping rope WHILE Running?!?  I'm just trying to get the BREATHING while RUNNING skill set in place.  Jeez.  Way to pop my bubble.

Kim - Tunitas on Saturday. Come play with us!!

oh, come on, we all love to jump rope!

hope this link shows up: this is one of the coaches at my gym and I did a few of his endurance/conditioning classes.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/06/bmackrun1.tpl

I wish I could come on Saturday, Lord knows I need to get some hills and distance in! Unfortunately must work that day, dang it!
2013-05-30 9:28 PM
in reply to: swbkrun

I would like to join.

I am 43 yo female and I plan to do my first sprint tri in August 10th in Culver, Indiana. I am from a rural town in Northwest Indiana. I am married, have two children aged 18,15 and two step children 23,17. I've been exercising seriously for two months. I believe I have created my base fitness in all areas. I think I should use one of the free training plans but please let me know your opinion. I am having some Achilles heal discomfort and hamstring tightness in the same leg. I am currently training 3X even for all areas. I just started swim this week @ ( 50 x 15) 30 min ; biking 10 miles in 40 minutes and running 4 miles in about 45-50 minutes. I do stretching yoga once a week and stretch after every activity.

My goal is to complete the triathlon at a comfortable pace; lose weight and be healthy. I have not lost any weight in the two months I have been exercising; I'm 5'5" 170. I plan to loose 30 pounds.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

TY. Nicky
2013-05-31 11:51 AM
in reply to: nmourer

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by nmourer I would like to join. I am 43 yo female and I plan to do my first sprint tri in August 10th in Culver, Indiana. I am from a rural town in Northwest Indiana. I am married, have two children aged 18,15 and two step children 23,17. I've been exercising seriously for two months. I believe I have created my base fitness in all areas. I think I should use one of the free training plans but please let me know your opinion. I am having some Achilles heal discomfort and hamstring tightness in the same leg. I am currently training 3X even for all areas. I just started swim this week @ ( 50 x 15) 30 min ; biking 10 miles in 40 minutes and running 4 miles in about 45-50 minutes. I do stretching yoga once a week and stretch after every activity. My goal is to complete the triathlon at a comfortable pace; lose weight and be healthy. I have not lost any weight in the two months I have been exercising; I'm 5'5" 170. I plan to loose 30 pounds. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. TY. Nicky

hi Nicky!!

welcome to the group and congratulations on making fitness a lifestyle!

I think your plan looks good, but am a little concerned about the achilles and hamstring.  What are you doing to deal with it?  Rolling? stretching?  It is very hard to build volume when your body is rebelling!

2013-05-31 11:54 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Champion

My month is complete.  The healing process robbed me of some quality and my favorite core TRX classes, but I hope to be back on track in June!

Swim: 12h 50m - 24100 Yd

Bike: 27h 31m 56s - 472.5 Mi

Run: 17h 53m 29s - 116.7 Mi

TRX: 2h 05m

Walking: 3h 05

2013-05-31 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Hey Nicky glad to have you!

Surgery put my totals down as well.

Swim: 1 hour 25m 29s-2640.42yd

Bike 7h 52m 16s-114.12mi

Run 3h 36m 27s- 19.51mi??

June is a new month and my 70.3 training is kicking off tomorrow with a 40 mile ride and half of that is hills. I might put in a small run after depending on time. I am going to try and swim everyday at lunch and run 30 miles

2013-05-31 9:50 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Originally posted by mbehr1983

Hey Nicky glad to have you!

Surgery put my totals down as well.

Swim: 1 hour 25m 29s-2640.42yd

Bike 7h 52m 16s-114.12mi

Run 3h 36m 27s- 19.51mi??

June is a new month and my 70.3 training is kicking off tomorrow with a 40 mile ride and half of that is hills. I might put in a small run after depending on time. I am going to try and swim everyday at lunch and run 30 miles

You must get long lunch breaks Mike!!
2013-05-31 10:52 PM

User image

New user
Wow!! Lots of training going on with you and amazing since you were injured. My totals are below. Got a lot of hill training on the bike as well as some speed/paceline. Tomorrow is my first Century.

Swim 13h 14m 16s - 29553.12 M
Bike 26h 11m 06s - 286.70 Mi
Run 11h 14m 15s - 55.33 Mi
Strength 5h 15m

2013-06-01 4:14 PM

Suzy,

I went to a local running/tri shop and got fitted for the "right" running shoes. I am decreasing my run to time based on the free beginners plan but keeping my bike and swim strong. RICE and easy stretching. I am pretty sure the L leg discomfort is from weak hip flexors so I plan to strengthen with theraband, light squats and lunges.

Edited by nmourer 2013-06-01 4:20 PM
2013-06-01 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Well.......IM training has officially started!  My first 500 mile month!  Started June off well with 85 miles on my bike, solo, and it is hotter than heck out there.  I may need to start swimming.  Undecided  Here we go.......  eta:  huh.  post shows my numbers as I post - can't get them to show once it's POSTED.  Ah, well.  91.3 miles running, 500.37 miles on the bike, 7700 yards swimming.

Swim: 2h 36m 35s  - 7700 Yd
Bike: 30h 36m 37s  - 500.37 Mi
Run: 12h 51m 55s  - 91.3 Miles

Edited by velcromom 2013-06-01 6:02 PM

2013-06-01 7:31 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by velcromom

Well.......IM training has officially started!  My first 500 mile month!  Started June off well with 85 miles on my bike, solo, and it is hotter than heck out there.  I may need to start swimming.  Undecided  Here we go.......  eta:  huh.  post shows my numbers as I post - can't get them to show once it's POSTED.  Ah, well.  91.3 miles running, 500.37 miles on the bike, 7700 yards swimming.

Swim: 2h 36m 35s  - 7700 Yd
Bike: 30h 36m 37s  - 500.37 Mi
Run: 12h 51m 55s  - 91.3 Miles

WAY TO GO LINDA, MAY WAS A SUPER MONTH FOR YOU!!
2013-06-01 8:03 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

New user
I think my month totals are too low to post. I just have not been making the time to get out there. School is out on Wednesday, so I'm out of excuses. I'm going to get in a better routine this summer!

As far as tips for getting faster... I'd love to hear them! I've never done any speedwork, though I desperately need to. My husband makes fun of me because I have one speed for everything. My short runs are the same pace as my long ones. I did notice my times drop dramatically after I started to train for a marathon, though. I think running the longer miles helps me on the shorter distances.
2013-06-01 10:20 PM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

New user
Today was first Century, felt pretty good except certain areas. Ladies!!!! This question is for you, I have tried several pair of shorts and have "issues" with all of them. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good pair of "non-chafing" shorts, bike or tri. I have tried, Craft, Zoot, Louis Garneau, 3 different Pearl Izumi, Performance, Castelli and a couple of Sugoi. Is there a "perfect short", that anyone knows of. I have also tried mens, but I am smaller and usually the pad is too big. PLEASE HELP!!!
2013-06-02 12:21 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Here are my May numbers.  Time to crank up the bike a little more.

Swim:27h 05m - 34800 M

Bike:13h 42m 03s - 334.84 KM

Run:9h 48m 32s - 104.67 KM

Edited by dcon 2013-06-02 12:21 AM
2013-06-02 5:31 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Nadscats Today was first Century, felt pretty good except certain areas. Ladies!!!! This question is for you, I have tried several pair of shorts and have "issues" with all of them. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good pair of "non-chafing" shorts, bike or tri. I have tried, Craft, Zoot, Louis Garneau, 3 different Pearl Izumi, Performance, Castelli and a couple of Sugoi. Is there a "perfect short", that anyone knows of. I have also tried mens, but I am smaller and usually the pad is too big. PLEASE HELP!!!

Nadine--for me it is the combination of the short and the saddle.  If they don't work well together, you can experience immense chafing and pain.  My go to shorts are Castelli Body Paint for cycling and Castelli Tri Shorts for sprints through HIMs. The pad just fits me right. I also use Assos Chamois Cream before every ride.  To go along with it,  I have a SMP Lite 209 saddle. I used to have a Terry Butterfly, but when I transitioned to aero on my road bike, it no longer worked and CHAFING was a HUGE issue.  Baaaaaad.   Doesn't mean this combo will work for you though. Embarassed

2013-06-02 5:35 AM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Champion

Originally posted by JillB I think my month totals are too low to post. I just have not been making the time to get out there. School is out on Wednesday, so I'm out of excuses. I'm going to get in a better routine this summer! As far as tips for getting faster... I'd love to hear them! I've never done any speedwork, though I desperately need to. My husband makes fun of me because I have one speed for everything. My short runs are the same pace as my long ones. I did notice my times drop dramatically after I started to train for a marathon, though. I think running the longer miles helps me on the shorter distances.

I am not sure how new you are to endurance sports, but if you trained for a marathon I am guessing you have the most experience running?  Your logs would suggest you have a decent run speed!  Depending on how long you've been running you could consider adding some Tempo runs to your plan by the end of the Summer.  My first advice here would be consistency now that school is over.

My best advice is if you are newer to cycling you go out and ride with no real thought of speed other than keeping it steady in an aerobic zone.  As you know from marathon training, time can do wonders for pace.  If you don't have a base, your muscles, tendons and joints are not ready for the vigors of speed work IMO.  Best to ride a variety of terrains to build power and pedaling efficiency if they are available to you where you live.

2013-06-02 8:27 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by Nadscats Today was first Century, felt pretty good except certain areas. Ladies!!!! This question is for you, I have tried several pair of shorts and have "issues" with all of them. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good pair of "non-chafing" shorts, bike or tri. I have tried, Craft, Zoot, Louis Garneau, 3 different Pearl Izumi, Performance, Castelli and a couple of Sugoi. Is there a "perfect short", that anyone knows of. I have also tried mens, but I am smaller and usually the pad is too big. PLEASE HELP!!!

Nadine--for me it is the combination of the short and the saddle.  If they don't work well together, you can experience immense chafing and pain.  My go to shorts are Castelli Body Paint for cycling and Castelli Tri Shorts for sprints through HIMs. The pad just fits me right. I also use Assos Chamois Cream before every ride.  To go along with it,  I have a SMP Lite 209 saddle. I used to have a Terry Butterfly, but when I transitioned to aero on my road bike, it no longer worked and CHAFING was a HUGE issue.  Baaaaaad.   Doesn't mean this combo will work for you though. Embarassed

I'm not a lady, but I second that. It's what works for you. Everyone is so different.
2013-06-02 8:50 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Originally posted by Nadscats

Today was first Century, felt pretty good except certain areas. Ladies!!!! This question is for you, I have tried several pair of shorts and have "issues" with all of them. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good pair of "non-chafing" shorts, bike or tri. I have tried, Craft, Zoot, Louis Garneau, 3 different Pearl Izumi, Performance, Castelli and a couple of Sugoi. Is there a "perfect short", that anyone knows of. I have also tried mens, but I am smaller and usually the pad is too big. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi Nadine,

I found my perfect shorts in the Assos F2 Lady, i love them! I was having LOTS of trouble when rides got to 60+ in my oomph shorts. Expensive! But worth it! Assos cream for me, too. Good job on your century!
2013-06-02 9:18 AM

User image

Master

To echo Suzy's comment, I'd consider the saddle at this point, or the adjustment of it. You can tell a fitter exactly where you're having issues (yes, even the men fitters!) and they can make adjustments or recommend a different saddle. I like Zoot tri shorts, no matter what the length of the ride, sprint through IM. I also never need any lube or anything. One of my saddles wore out at one point and I started having some issues, new saddle and things were all good again!! Good luck!!

2013-06-02 9:43 AM

User image

New user

Originally posted by JillB I think my month totals are too low to post. I just have not been making the time to get out there. School is out on Wednesday, so I'm out of excuses. I'm going to get in a better routine this summer! As far as tips for getting faster... I'd love to hear them! I've never done any speedwork, though I desperately need to. My husband makes fun of me because I have one speed for everything. My short runs are the same pace as my long ones. I did notice my times drop dramatically after I started to train for a marathon, though. I think running the longer miles helps me on the shorter distances.

I am not sure how new you are to endurance sports, but if you trained for a marathon I am guessing you have the most experience running?  Your logs would suggest you have a decent run speed!  Depending on how long you've been running you could consider adding some Tempo runs to your plan by the end of the Summer.  My first advice here would be consistency now that school is over.

My best advice is if you are newer to cycling you go out and ride with no real thought of speed other than keeping it steady in an aerobic zone.  As you know from marathon training, time can do wonders for pace.  If you don't have a base, your muscles, tendons and joints are not ready for the vigors of speed work IMO.  Best to ride a variety of terrains to build power and pedaling efficiency if they are available to you where you live.

I really appreciate the advice! I need all I can get. I've been running for 5 or 6 years. I had a really good base going until February, but I haven't been very consistent since then. I'm hoping that I can get my base back fairly quickly this summer, though. I will definitely add the tempo runs then... As far as the other disciplines??? I'm brand new! Chet had gotten me a hybrid a few years ago (that I never used,) so that's what I started using a few months ago to get started on the bike. I got pretty comfortable on that, although it was hard to keep up with my friends on the hills. For Mother's Day, he got me a road bike. I love it, but it felt totally different and took a few rides to start getting used to. I still feel like I'm hanging on for dear life (especially if there's any type of wind!,) but I'm getting better. I know I'm not ready for any type of speed work there yet. I spend my time concentrating on not falling. I can't even address the swimming yet... I started swim lessons, but I have a long way to go...

2013-06-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Champion
Originally posted by JillB

I really appreciate the advice! I need all I can get. I've been running for 5 or 6 years. I had a really good base going until February, but I haven't been very consistent since then. I'm hoping that I can get my base back fairly quickly this summer, though. I will definitely add the tempo runs then... As far as the other disciplines??? I'm brand new! Chet had gotten me a hybrid a few years ago (that I never used,) so that's what I started using a few months ago to get started on the bike. I got pretty comfortable on that, although it was hard to keep up with my friends on the hills. For Mother's Day, he got me a road bike. I love it, but it felt totally different and took a few rides to start getting used to. I still feel like I'm hanging on for dear life (especially if there's any type of wind!,) but I'm getting better. I know I'm not ready for any type of speed work there yet. I spend my time concentrating on not falling. I can't even address the swimming yet... I started swim lessons, but I have a long way to go...

I think your running will come back quickly so let's talk about the bike.  Are you clipped in when you ride?  Although a bit scary at first it does make a difference for your pedal stroke and will improve performance.  I agree that at this point you just need to get out and ride and build some confidence.  It took me quite some time to get comfortable using my clip on aerobars, but once I did it too made a big difference in performance too.  Think above varying terrains and extending your distances on at least a couple of rides each week.  It'll come!

For obvious reasons, I think I will leave the swimming advice to Julia or Kyla.Laughing

2013-06-03 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples
RACE REPORT

Naples Fitness Challenge - 1:00:24

Yeah I missed an hour by 24 silly seconds all good though great race for me

5K Run - 21:54 (7:03 pace) - this was shocking because I have not run at all b/c of PF so I am extremely happy

15K Bike - 26:30 (21.1 pace) - pretty much what I expected

1/4 mile Swim - 8:20 (1:53/hundred pace) - was slower than expected but it was last event

T1 - 1:19 (i could not get my shoe off b/c of knot, next year speed laces
T2 - 2:23 (long run to beach)

Check out my race results for all the details. Was great day and race, now I get a massage!!!!!

2013-06-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Veteran
All about running these days, need to get back to bike and swim very soon.

Going to need to replace my minimalist running shoes with something with more padding. My new running trails are very rocky and are beating up my feet.

Welcome Nicky and congratulations Rob

Run: 15h 26m 46s - 87.51
Strength: 2h 30m
2013-06-03 10:26 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Elite
san francisco
Originally posted by [email protected]

RACE REPORT

Naples Fitness Challenge - 1:00:24

Yeah I missed an hour by 24 silly seconds all good though great race for me

5K Run - 21:54 (7:03 pace) - this was shocking because I have not run at all b/c of PF so I am extremely happy

15K Bike - 26:30 (21.1 pace) - pretty much what I expected

1/4 mile Swim - 8:20 (1:53/hundred pace) - was slower than expected but it was last event

T1 - 1:19 (i could not get my shoe off b/c of knot, next year speed laces
T2 - 2:23 (long run to beach)

Check out my race results for all the details. Was great day and race, now I get a massage!!!!!

Great racing, Rob! Enjoy the massage, you earned it big time!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44