BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-02-11 8:20 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
Chris good to see you checking in. I have to agree with Dirk you are doing the right things in order to improve your swimming. Stay persistent and you'll get better. I think I need to take a page out of your book and think about doing the same. It'll probably have to wait until the fall though.

DIna I'm also glad to see you checking in. I've been thinking about you and your family and I did catch your post in cup of joe recently and I can only imagine how hard things have been. We went through this in 2010 when my father in law passed away and I know it was very difficult for my wife to get through that so while I can't say I know exactly how you feel I can relate a little to your situation. I'm just glad your here and glad to see you getting some workouts in and doing other things. I'm also sure you know we're here to support you in anyway we can.

Dirk you are a better man than I for getting out in the cold and running in those conditions. I've pretty much resigned myself to running on the treadmill. The cold used to not bother me much but these last two years I've just not been able to get out there when it's this cold out. Since my training is mainly in the evening it's just easier and safer to use the treadmill. I've been doing the same keeping my runs short for the most part it's been two 30 minute runs, one 45 to 60 minute run and then a longer weekend run 60 to 90 minutes for a total of 4 runs for the week. The longer run I've been trying to do outdoors on the trails or in the street since that is a weekend run. I hesitate to say I like the treadmill but I don't hate anymore and it actually has made doing my intervals much easier as it's all in a controlled enviroment and I can better measure my progress. With that said I still can't wait for it to warm up and get lighter out later so I can run outdoors all the time.

2014-02-11 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

NH
Chris, I'll pile on and say keep at the swimming, and drills will help the most important this which is form. The key to swimming in triathlon is to be relaxed and comfortable in the water, which is largely form. The harsh truth is that none of us, besides maybe Dirk, will ever become a "swimmer", so the goal has to be to simply get somewhat faster but mainly to leave the water with plenty of energy to bike and run. As my true swimmer friend/mentor tells me whenever I comment on how smoothly and insanely fast he swims, he swam more yards by the age of 12 than I'll swim in my entire life.

Terry, that Ragnar experience looks great. Actually, that picture of you in shorts and a t-shirt looks great!

Dina, keep at it, it's great to hear from you.

Joanne, keep riding and that plan sounds great. Remember to listen to your body and ease up on the pace on the longer/easier days, but if the plan calls for some intervals hit em hard.

I'm busy doing some weird workouts, for me. It's combinations of running fairly short intervals (~1/4 mile) and then performing something in the strength area such as rope climbing/pullups/squat thrusts/kettle bell swings/tire flipping etc. I'm up to about 12 rounds, which takes about an hour. These are some of hardest sessions I've had in a long time! I can't wait until it's more than 15 out so I can practice getting muddy as well.

Edited by wbayek 2014-02-11 9:24 AM
2014-02-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Warren I couldn't agree with you more on what you said in regards to swimming. That sounds like some crazy hard workouts that you're doing but I bet they go a long way to improving your conditioning not only for your crazy spartan race but for the tri's you're planning to do this season.

Speaking of which I recently purchased a training plan from Endurance Nation, yes I've drank the EN kool aid. They've given me a code for $25 off any training plan. You can combine it with any offers they have. There is a code for 20% off their training plans good until Friday 2/14. I've listed the codes below if you guys are interested, they can be combined.

20% off code - ENRawks1420 (good until 2/14)

additional $25 off - ThanksAnthony02102014 (good for 30 days)
2014-02-11 10:34 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

NH
Anthony, thanks for the EN links. I have a few good friends who were members for years while they were doing IM and loved the team. They also did the Tour of California ride and the some camps, which they HIGHLY recommend if you can fit it in. I see EN has one at MT this year. It's tough to get away for yet another weekend, but there's no doubt having some course familiarity is a great thing.
2014-02-11 11:46 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - OPEN
Originally posted by bswcpa

Sorry you're still not feeling well, WILL.   At least the girls of your family are back feeling well and can give you tender loving care..

Quick question - my last swim had a buoy set and I was faster using the buoy then on the regular swim set.  DINA saw in my log post that I'd wondered about it and thought it was because my legs sink and become a drag.   That makes sense.  Any other thoughts?  And if that's the case, how do you correct leg drag?   I already put my head down pretty far so I don't think it's head position.

This is true for me too...even when I know my legs are high enough. It's just that when I am not kicking, I have all the oxygen I need for my upper body to swim as hard as I want. I can basically stay comfortably aerobic swimming at a very hard clip using just my arms. I think it's partly because the legs aren't sucking up oxygen and partly because when I don't kick, I keep a more relaxed abdominal region thus allowing more free respiration.
And a small part of it is possibly body position itself too.

I think this is also true for very good swimmers (obviously not when sprinting where their strong kick is very effective). I think it's the differential between pull buoy and sans buoy that tells the story?
2014-02-11 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by mambos

So it has taken a bit, but I was finally able to record my bike set-up and post it online.  If you recall my original problem was sliding forward in my seat.  I took a look at my post and was able to move my seat forward a little bit more and do not feel as if I am falling forward..as much.  Since I have changed so much this winter with the new shoes/pedals and new seat I was hoping the bike gurus could take a look and let me know what you think.  Top keep from having to watch the entire 3 1/2 minutes the camera position changes around the 2 minute mark.

Bike Video

Matt,

at cursory glance the fit looks in the ballpark. But it can be hard to tell for sure because of the fisheye lens. In a nutshell there are 2 reasons you may find yourself sliding forward on a seat:
1) your reach is too far and you are moving forward instinctively to get the reach comfortable
2) your seat position is far enough forward that when you push on the pedals, they are behind your center of gravity and the pedal stroke is pushing your hips forward.

Any time you set up a road bike with aerobars for tri duty you will be making compromises. You have to answer some philosophical questions like "Am I making this bike a dedicated triathlon bike"? "Do I want this bike to be a road bike and a tri bike"?
You need to decide if the tri-bike position is the priority and you will take whatever you are left with when using the road bars or whether the road bike position is priority and you take whatever you are left with when using the aerobars.

From the discussion and the video I'm guessing that you want to optimize the tri position. I can't see your stem because of the towel there, but the bars look quite a bit higher than the top tube so I'm guessing you have the bars lifted as high as you can get them, so I won't suggest you play with going any higher.
Can you place your arms on the aerobars so that the elbows are closer to you? Your hands would be placed back further and your elbows will move that much further behind the arm pads. It won't give you the greatest skeletal support for distributing your weight there, but you can 'choke up' on the bars as an experiment to see if your position feels more stable...see if you stay put on the saddle.
If so, then your reason for sliding forward is most likely because the reach is a bit long. And I don't know if your stem is already a shorter one or not. If this turns out to be the issue, maybe other clip-on aerobars can be searched for that would provide you with closer arm pads without actually needing to change your stem. (less compromise in the road bike position)

Besides sliding forward on your seat all the time, is there any other complaint you have about that position that I see there?

Edited by JeffY 2014-02-11 3:21 PM

2014-02-11 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by wbayek

Anthony, thanks for the EN links. I have a few good friends who were members for years while they were doing IM and loved the team. They also did the Tour of California ride and the some camps, which they HIGHLY recommend if you can fit it in. I see EN has one at MT this year. It's tough to get away for yet another weekend, but there's no doubt having some course familiarity is a great thing.

Warren I wish I could make it to MT to do the camp or ride the course but I won't be able to afford to do that. Fortunately a bunch of the folks I'm training with and doing IMMT with train with the EN philosophy and training plans. A few like my friend Wynn have done the course (IMMT and MT 70.3) so I know he'll transfer the knowledge he has. He's already started prepping us for what to expect and how to prepare for it. I'm pretty confident that I'll be well prepared training with him and the rest of this group. He biked me into the ground getting ready for IMWI last season. To be honest it looks harder then IMWI. Elevation wise it's between IMWI and IMLP. Less turns then WI but more steep steady climbing like LP. I see lot's of hill training in my future for this seasons riding.
2014-02-11 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
A comment about the EN plans.

A good friend of mine, who I would guess to be about a 2:40 Olympic type performer wanted to do Ironman Florida the year he turned 50. It was his first (and so far only) IM.
He bought the EN plan and followed it to the letter both in regard to training and in regard to pacing and nutrition. He did was seemed to me like a stellar performance. Even beating his optimistic goal time.
He finished in 11:01.

It really paid off for him. He credits his performance to the EN plan.
2014-02-11 8:34 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jeff that's good to know and I've only heard good things about EN. They were right on IMO about how to race Wisconsin and I though that was a big reason why I was able to finish. Some of my friends who I train with have been using EN for years and have had very good success with their training philosophy. I figured I give them a try mainly because I didn't think I'd be able to put in the same amount of training hours as I did the first time round. I'm hoping I have some success with them as well, we'll see.
2014-02-11 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4919947

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey everybody.... On training programs.... I'm not so familiar with EN although I jave purchasedba training peaks plan. What differences are there and what are your thoughts about coaches vs an EN plan for example?
2014-02-12 12:20 AM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Originally posted by tmoons

Hey everybody.... On training programs.... I'm not so familiar with EN although I jave purchasedba training peaks plan. What differences are there and what are your thoughts about coaches vs an EN plan for example?

I'm also interested in hearing more about the EN plan. What does it involve? How much do they cost?

2014-02-12 4:52 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

From what I have seen from the EN and TP plans is the thought put into the EN plans seem to be more focused on different elements.  The way EN presents their plans is more of a personalized approach, not a coach by any means but they seem to be a bit more refined.  TP on the other hand appears to me like box programs.  There appears to be little thought to the plans other than "this should work for the masses" kind of premise.

Coaching is likely the best way to go if the money is there depending on how personalized your coach will be.  Some coaches allow access to their cell phones, daily email, etc. while others are an email or two a week and almost no personal interaction.  I am giving serious consideration to using our team coach (and pro triathlete) for my IM training plan.  He insists on being personal and interactive much of the time and you have daily access to him via email.  His plans are personally focused rather than a "fits most everyone" process.

But, to be honest I have yet to determine the route I'll take for my training plan.  I plan to do a 20 week program but that will be with a solid base going into it.  I'd like to have 30 MPW running, 7500-8000 YPW and 150 MPW riding before I begin the plan.

2014-02-12 7:50 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

NH
Originally posted by pistuo

Originally posted by tmoons

I'm also interested in hearing more about the EN plan. What does it involve? How much do they cost?

EN is a very focused, quality workout driven plan. Meaning what they preach is raising FTP on the bike and threshold pace on the run, even for iron distance athletes. So their bike and run workouts tend to have lots and lots of time at and around threshold. They do not focus on long "easy" runs or bikes. Tony can get into details, but even their long bikes will feature things like 2x20 minutes at FTP, or at 95% FTP power. They do not require power, but I think the ideas are easier to follow with power on the bike and pace on the run. They don't totally eschew volume, but they are not as focused on volume as typical Ironman coaches.

As far as the swim, they are all about form and comfort, and strongly believe the swim is a means to get to the "real" race. In fact, their winter plans don't even have swimming if you don't want to swim.

EN has two avenues. One is to buy a plan, and they will help you customize it to some extent. The second is to join the team, which gives you the plan as well as access to the "team", which is around 600 athletes who are very active on a BT-like forum, and there are a lot of Dirk and Jeff type guys and gals in terms of knowledge. Ok, not quite Dirk and Jeff, but there's a lot of really qualified help without getting into the character attacks every thread on here and Slowtwitch seems to devolve into. And because the EN group is so large, the likelihood that someone has been exactly where you are at is very high. Joining the team is quite expensive though.

They also offer a fair amount of free stuff, including triathlon training philosophy overviews, sample skeleton plans and year plans, as well as blogs and podcasts. I have definitely used a lot of their information in my training. Patrick (one of the coaches) used to post on here quite a bit and answers emails and IMs pretty quickly. They also run tri camps and other cool stuff. My friends who are on the team went on the Tour of California bike camp a few years back, where they all rode much of the course right before the pros, as in the same day but before the pros got out there. I have no idea how they pulled that off, but it sounded amazing.

And finally, I think the best thing EN offers is the race execution strategy. They consider race execution equally important to training, and they really focus on executing on race day. They incorporate a practice race execution day where you swim quite a bit and then ride the full distance, followed by enough of a run to get a feel for running off such a long bike. The idea is to understand how your body will handle nutrition and everything else which goes into an Ironman before the actual race and make adjustments as necessary. Because they coach thousands of athletes through Ironman and 70,3 races, they have figured out the proper way to race these events down to the most minute details. Tony's race is a perfect example of someone absolutely nailing an Ironman first time out, which is basically unheard of, by following their race execution strategy.

As you can probably tell, I've taken in a lot of the EN kool-aid and I do believe they're a great group. If I were ever to do Ironman, I'd probably figure out a way to get the $$ to join the team.
2014-02-12 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Dina, it good to see you checking in, and it's good you were able to use your training as a way to help you start to get thru it all. Iam sending hugs

Terry, congrats on Ragnar! Sounds like fun! A group I used to train with have been doing this for a couple years now and they have asked me to join their teams but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it.

Chris as everyone had said just keep swimming

I am really tempted to purchase an EN plan, after all the good comments.

Dirk saw your post on FB about all the snow and going out to fix lines......I will stop wishing for more snow now....I' ll bet when I posted my comments on wishing for more you could have reached thru the computer and slapped me lol

So I have actually been in the pool more than once this month and i am having a bit of trouble calculating workout based on yardage, the pool isnt 25 yards, it like 22.4 or some crazy number I am really going to have to figure out a system so I am not trying to calculate when Iam swimming.

Brenda, I saw that you are taking a master swim....how's that going?

Matt, dirk had mention about a digital level if you don't have one there is an app for your phone called iHandy Level , and it worked really great for adjusting my seat!!
2014-02-12 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Another comment/question for Matt:

Your video didn't give me a view of your seatpost clamp area. Can you grab a snapshot of that with your phone and post it?
I want to see what amount of adjustability your seatpost has. If one of my spares has more adjustability then I will send it to you to try out.
2014-02-12 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Thank you for the input on the bike fitting. My goal is to try and be in aero at least 95% of the time if not more. I am not doing anything that requires to me to treat the bike as a "road" bike so my goal is to optimize to tri position as much as possible. Jeff I believe you mentioned that possibly pulling my elbows back more may help, I have tried this before and placed more of my weight on my forearms and have found this to be uncomfortable. I actually start to get shoulder aches and such in this position. I can adjust my bars back and forth but the pads only adjustment is width. If this is needed I would probably need a shorter stem, I currently have one that is labeled as 105mm if that is any help. I think currently my only issue is sliding forward and not using the back portion of the seat, everything else seems to be comfortable. Of course I need a hard effort for over 45 miles to confirm no back issues but that will come in a few months. As for the photo, see below. Hopefully this is what you were asking for.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1326KB - 3 downloads)

2014-02-12 1:49 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Matt, I will check out my extra seatpost(s) and see if any of them have more of an offset at the top that might put your seat more forward.

I had suggested you try choking up on the bars, not as a real riding position, but as a way to test whether it solves your problem of sliding forward. If it did, then we would know that the solution is to find a way to adjust your bars backwards, rather than one of the other variables.
So I will take your answer to say that moving the bars back would be more comfortable if you were able to have the elbow pads move back also.

What diameter is your seatpost? I forget. Sending you one of mine to try will only work if it's the right diameter. It will be stamped (possibly in real small numbers) on the seatpost somewhere. Or you could use a dial caliper to measure.

So your stem is 105mm. You can definitely find shorter stems out there. 90mm isn't too uncommon. Look at nashbar.com. You will probably find a very low-priced alternative there.
2014-02-12 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I think Warren summary on EN is pretty accurate. There are two ways you can go with them, buy a training plan or join the team. The team opens up two times I believe at the end of the year and the beginning of the year, both of which have passed. I think it's $108 a month when you join but you can quit at any time. After 30 days you get full access to all their material. If your not happy you can quit after the 30 days and you don't pay for it. Training plans are not cheap I purchased the 20 week intermediate IM plan regularly priced at $449 but got 20% off of that. They have outseason and distance based training plans.

The way EN works is they break the season down into 3 parts, offseason where you take a rest and do unstructured workouts, outseason where you do low volume and high intensity training (Zone-3 to Zone-5) focused on getting faster on the bike and run. Swimming is optional for the outseason. Then there is the regular season where you would follow an EN training plan. They want to build the fast first in the outseason then work on adding endurance on top of your fast during the season. I think they focus more on the HIM to IM distance athletes not to say you could not use their plans or philosophy for shorter distances.

Their whole philosophy is based on return on investment. They understand we all have busy lives and can't spend a ton of hours training so they use the more is less approach where you work at a high intensity mainly Zone-3 over what a lot of other plans have you doing a lot of volume based training in Zone-1/2. They also focus on getting faster on the bike and the run. Like Warren said they don't put a lot of emphasis on the swim. The feeling there is that swimming has a really low return on investment. Most of us are never going to be great swimmers even if you do put a lot of time into it. Add the time it's takes for you to get to and from the pool the feeling is you can better spend your time improving your bike and run which has a much higher return on investment.

The swim is the shortest part of these races and like Warren said is the warm up for the bike and run. That's not to say they don't put any value on the swim they just try to be realistic about the time most of us have to train and how best to use that time. Is it better to try and shave 4 or 5 minutes off your swim time or say take an hour off your bike time with the same amount of training time? That's how they rationalize it. They do emphasize making the most of your swim time and focusing on improving your swim technique though.

They also put a lot of emphasis on race execution as well. They do a lot of seminars on how to race different Ironman events and I can tell you they were right on the money when it came to racing Wisconsin. They also host camps for some of these different IM events for their team members. They have a lot of free material up at the website as well.

There are a couple of free documents they have that get into this all. A really good on is "Tri 2.0 Building a proper season". If you sign up for the newsletter you can download that for free or I can try and send you the copy I have if you are really interested in learning more about EN. This ebook really gets into their whole philosophy and approach for the age group triathlete. It may be unconventional from other training plans and philosophies but they seem to get results .

My main reason going down this road was to try and get faster and to spend less time doing it. I have a bunch of friends I train with who have been using their plans and philosophy with success for years so it made sense for me to jump on board and give it a try since I'd be training with them anyway. If you guys have questions or want more info just let me know.
2014-02-13 4:50 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Tonight will be a 500 TT for me.  I've not done a real TT at this distance for a long time and it's time.  I am not sure what kind of time goal I will try to pull off but it will certainly be under 7 minutes.  I have decided to do this tonight after having a pretty good set during my swim on Tuesday.  I planned some long intervals (500's) and really strong focus on staying long on my stroke and staying relaxed as much as possible through the given intervals.  After my first 500 I was somewhat shocked at how easily I had completed the interval at the time I saw, 7:06.  

This began to get me thinking about what may be allowing me the increased ability to do so well in the water recently.  I have to say it's the bike!  The intensity on the bike for as long as I have been trying to nail myself to the wall on the trainer seems to be paying off in both. (I cannot say what it's doing for my run because I am unable to test it as I have my ongoing recovery.)  I just wanted to point out that intensity in one aspect of our training can support cardio and respiratory potential for us as well.  So don't give up on your cycling intensity through the winter.  Brutalize yourself and watch the dividends payoff in all three disciplines........

But keep doing those swimming drills too!  I'd have to say Chris is on the right track (better than I am ).

2014-02-13 5:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
I have never done a TT for swimming...is this something else I should have been doing

Tony are you getting hit with an ice storm??

I actually got outside for a run yesterday, it was a bit treacherous with unshovled sidewalks and at most corners it was climbing mounds of snow but it felt good to get outside!! I think I will stick to the track for a bit though I fell once a few years ago when it was snowy out and it always make me a little Leary.
2014-02-13 6:37 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Good info on EN - thanks, everyone.   It's not the right drink for me at this time, though, but I look forward to seeing TONY crush IMMT because of their plan.   WARREN will also do so when he signs up at some point.....next year??

Again, an impressive showing in the pool by DIRK.   I realize there's no time he could post that would surprise me any more.

JOANNE getting outside is also gutsy!  Way to go, girl!   I've not attempted it and have no plan to as long as there's snow and ice on the roads.  I love my treadmill.   Yes, I do.

Thanks for being with me, JEFF, on the leg sink thing.   After Tuesday's swim and trying to do the pencil drill, then doing some 100s with a pull buoy at the end of my workout where I was at least 10 seconds faster (yes faster) with a pull buoy, then bing, bing, bing.....Houston we have a problem!   On the Swim Smooth site, I think I'm closest to an "Arnette".   Anyone ever buy their drills for the body type?  Wasn't sure if it would be worth the $20 or if I should just google all the drills I can find on body position. I have seen some gains in the pool by getting a feel for the water so I'm excited to figure out leg drag and then I may be able to finish the IM swim without pushing the cut off.

JENN - How have you been after your marathon?  Recover well?

WILL - Are you over the flu?  Hope so!

DEREK - I bought the new Sufferfest bike/run video and thought of you.   Hope your training is going well.

TERRY - Wow on the Ragnar race!   Thanks for posting the picture - glad you had an awesomely memorable time.  Your description of it makes me put one on my bucket list.

CHRIS - Good job on slogging through swim drills.   All that time will pay off. 

All the rest of the JUNKIES - keep on keeping on!     

My kids (son,18 and daughter,17) have not had girl/boyfriends through all of high school until the last 2 weeks they each acquired one.   I guess the month of February with Valentine's Day brought that out.     Hope you all have a Terrific Thursday and that you're surrounded by LOVE tomorrow! 

2014-02-13 8:33 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk sounds like you're making great gains with your swimming and you are already a very good swimmer! I thought it was the other way around where swimming improves your overall fitness however I can't disagree with you on the bike fitness improving your overall fitness. I think all the bike riding I did last year went a long way to improving my overall fitness and my running. My swimming.........well that is another story.

JoAnne be careful running outdoors in those conditions. I have to agree with Brenda I've stuck to the treadmill and I am almost beginning to like it, not much but it's safer then running outdoors lately. And yes more snow and rain today, I see more snow shoveling in my future as it is coming down pretty good right now.

Brenda I have purchased the overglider guide from Swim Smooth and I thought it was worth the 20 bucks. I've not followed through as much as I should be but I think it's helped point out where I need to improve and I've been working on some of those things since I've gotten the guide.
2014-02-13 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by DirkP

Tonight will be a 500 TT for me.  I've not done a real TT at this distance for a long time and it's time.  I am not sure what kind of time goal I will try to pull off but it will certainly be under 7 minutes.  I have decided to do this tonight after having a pretty good set during my swim on Tuesday.  I planned some long intervals (500's) and really strong focus on staying long on my stroke and staying relaxed as much as possible through the given intervals.  After my first 500 I was somewhat shocked at how easily I had completed the interval at the time I saw, 7:06.  

This began to get me thinking about what may be allowing me the increased ability to do so well in the water recently.  I have to say it's the bike!  The intensity on the bike for as long as I have been trying to nail myself to the wall on the trainer seems to be paying off in both. (I cannot say what it's doing for my run because I am unable to test it as I have my ongoing recovery.)  I just wanted to point out that intensity in one aspect of our training can support cardio and respiratory potential for us as well.  So don't give up on your cycling intensity through the winter.  Brutalize yourself and watch the dividends payoff in all three disciplines........

But keep doing those swimming drills too!  I'd have to say Chris is on the right track (better than I am ).

Dirk, how was your TT?
If you avoided the pit fall of improper pacing (in your exuberance for a super fast time), then I'm sure you were well under 7 minutes. Even if you paced poorly, you are so tough and stubborn, that you probably still suffered through something well under 7 minutes!
2014-02-13 10:28 AM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

My wife has been working 12-16 hour days for the last few weeks, so when she said she wanted to go to dinner last night; I had to make that happen.
My typical Wednesday night has me at a meeting at church and then on the treadmill between eight and 9 pm. I wanted to run, but I wanted to take her to dinner too.

So... I decided to run to church, 2.5 miles with a slight incline the whole way. BTW, I lead a small men’s only study so being a little sweaty would not even be noticed. Running to church was a good idea, carrying a backpack might not have been. It only weighed 15 pounds or so, but it made a HUGE difference, I usually run with nothing, I even pre-stage water on runs requiring hydration. This additional weight hurt me! What think I learned is that I really need to lose 20 pounds? Thoughts?

Woke up this morning to 6 inches of snow and a delayed opening of where I work, so I decided to use the delay and get in a treadmill run. I wish summer would get here. I HATE the treadmill, made it a whole hour, but even with TV’s it still sucks! I will take a 100f over a treadmill any day of the week!

Spinning and swimming tonight!
2014-02-13 4:28 PM
in reply to: Captain_Chris

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by Captain_Chris

My wife has been working 12-16 hour days for the last few weeks, so when she said she wanted to go to dinner last night; I had to make that happen.
My typical Wednesday night has me at a meeting at church and then on the treadmill between eight and 9 pm. I wanted to run, but I wanted to take her to dinner too.

So... I decided to run to church, 2.5 miles with a slight incline the whole way. BTW, I lead a small men’s only study so being a little sweaty would not even be noticed. Running to church was a good idea, carrying a backpack might not have been. It only weighed 15 pounds or so, but it made a HUGE difference, I usually run with nothing, I even pre-stage water on runs requiring hydration. This additional weight hurt me! What think I learned is that I really need to lose 20 pounds? Thoughts?

Woke up this morning to 6 inches of snow and a delayed opening of where I work, so I decided to use the delay and get in a treadmill run. I wish summer would get here. I HATE the treadmill, made it a whole hour, but even with TV’s it still sucks! I will take a 100f over a treadmill any day of the week!

Spinning and swimming tonight!

Your backpack experience demonstrates the importance (or value) of weight loss to a runner (in particular...cyclists too primarily with hills).
It's widely touted that you can expect to gain 3 seconds per mile on your run for every 1lb of weight you lose. So that would suggest 30 seconds per mile with a 10lb weight loss.
It doesn't seem to matter what distance you are running for that to hold fairly true. I confirmed this personally when I lost 20lbs during the off-season a few years back. I was a full minute/mile faster in my races--both run races and triathlons.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.