BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-04 3:27 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
For your viewing pleasure..Wednesday is bottling day.

(Switchback IPA.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Switchback IPA.jpg (112KB - 4 downloads)

2014-06-04 4:23 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 For your viewing pleasure..Wednesday is bottling day.

Damn, that is a thing of beauty! Touring, work there, own the brewery or just sneak in for a couple of bottles?(please be owner, please be owner...)

This is not the Switchback I had...mine was Lighthouse Switchback...other side of the country, farther north!

2014-06-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Craftyviking So, a little check in. I am now in Riga and not at home in Norway. Work training. Today's work out consisted of a 3.2 km run around one of the nice parks here. Tomorrow I am planning a 4.8km run around one of the parks here. But I have found some good things, first of all at least one of the other people here is also into triathlon and he is infact training for an Ironman. I am planning to pounce him in a coffee break tomorrow and see what wisdom he has to share. The other good thing I have found is beer. Unsurprisingly. I tried an unfinished beer yesterday that was very good, called Dumaku. I am planning to continue trying latvian beers. If anyone has any they recommend I would love to hear it.

Good job getting a run in and a beer. I have no clue to what beers are good in Latvia...I guess you will have to drink different beers every night in search of good beers!

2014-06-04 4:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
I thought I would check in too. Yesterday’s brick was tough for a newbie like me. 13 km bike followed by a 2.6 km Run. I did mention that I struggle with running didn’t I?

Well I am soon off on my bike ride home. 7/28 here I go I recently discovered that according to Mapmyride I complete a Category 3 climb on the way home!

PS. I am enjoying the new bike but the "easy" gear is not nearly as easy as on my mountain bike! I guess it is just time to get the legs working harder so the beer is that much more deserved

Edited by Jeakins 2014-06-04 4:43 PM
2014-06-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

All these pictures of beers are driving me crazy!

Nice little workout for me today

35 min of upper body strength followed up by a nice HiiT stationary bike ride.
2014-06-04 7:48 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Jeakins I thought I would check in too. Yesterday’s brick was tough for a newbie like me. 13 km bike followed by a 2.6 km Run. I did mention that I struggle with running didn’t I? Well I am soon off on my bike ride home. 7/28 here I go I recently discovered that according to Mapmyride I complete a Category 3 climb on the way home! PS. I am enjoying the new bike but the "easy" gear is not nearly as easy as on my mountain bike! I guess it is just time to get the legs working harder so the beer is that much more deserved
Newbie or not, bricks are still tough! Good job completing it!

If you have a hill like that i am guessing you live west of downtown...

Have you tried any of the Hogshead beer out of Edmonton yet?

2014-06-04 7:51 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Clarkey77 All these pictures of beers are driving me crazy! Nice little workout for me today 35 min of upper body strength followed up by a nice HiiT stationary bike ride.

Great job on getting the workout in. Any reason you are not outside riding? Waaaay nicer riding outside...well except for Alberta where it is supposed to be a high of 48F with rain and a low of 36 tomorrow night...

2014-06-04 7:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Burd

Well it's official . I am signed up to volunteer at IMFL to get entry for '15. Hotel is reserved and confirmation email has been received. I also booked my hotel for the Rev3 HIM in Venice November 9th.

Question for David and Charles...how was the job Rev3 did with the race? Was it well supported and set up? More importantly, how was the swag bag? It's so much cheaper than a branded race I just wondered how it matched up.

I've done two Rev3 races - Dells oly and Quassy half. Support has been great and I could not have asked for anything else. Aid stations are well stocked, swim course is great and full of kayakers and the like, and the operation itself is smooth and generally well-run. Quassy was $250.

As for swag, we got a cotton T-shirt, a medal, a protein bar, a neckerchief cooler thing, and a visor, plus food (burgers, hot dogs, pasta, salad) and soft drinks. [edit] Also, we got two passes to the Quassy amusement park, which would have cost $25 each. My wife and I road a few rides and had a fun two hours there. It's basically a quaint little park, a big carnival really, but it was nice. It's nothing compared to Cedar Point or Six Flags, but it isn't competing against them either, really.

David and I have different opinions on this issue, but my take is that it is adequate, and I don't really want to pay for another tech t-shirt that will sit in a drawer with a dozen others, or all that other tchotkey junk. I come to a race to test myself and *race*.

Recovery run today, and easy 4.5 miles. Not as badly depleted as I thought I would be, but my legs had no speed in them.

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2014-06-05 8:28 AM
2014-06-04 9:33 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

, Vermont
Friend of a friend is the owner. This is a new release - I haven't even had this one yet! The original is tasty.
~ Jenn
2014-06-05 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Spent a few days in Missouri canoeing and living on the Jack's Fork River.  Now back to the grind.  Got in a short 4 mile run yesterday with a little pain on my lateral left foot.  No worries, installing a new saddle on my ride right now!

Good luck to those racing this weekend!  

One question: I can't get a picture to post.  I'm going through "Insert/edit image" button then in "source" I'm putting the directory and name of the picture.  For example "C:/Users/Green/Desktop/triglass.jpg".  But the picture isn't showing up.  Any ideas?

2014-06-05 9:44 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

8/28 with a quick swim before bike this morning.

Planned run for lunch today and tomorrow in jeopardy. I have a return of Achilles pain...swimming is fine. bike is okay. running no go.

cracked open the medicine cabinet and hoping to get it under control asap. Cannot afford downtime now!

2014-06-05 10:07 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Qua17 Hi Again - Here is the link to my training log where I keep the BDAAS member list. I spent 15 minutes on it this afternoon and added about 10 names. If I missed your name or misspelled it - let me know and I will be sure to add it. Thanks for your help! http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...

Looks good.  My name is Matt

2014-06-05 10:18 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

One question: I can't get a picture to post.  I'm going through "Insert/edit image" button then in "source" I'm putting the directory and name of the picture.  For example "C:/Users/Green/Desktop/triglass.jpg".  But the picture isn't showing up.  Any ideas?

Click the button at the bottom that says "Attach a file after posting."  Then you will have an opportunity to load a picture from your computer after you hit submit.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (39KB - 3 downloads)
2014-06-05 10:23 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

For my third post in a row a little update.  I spent the last two days in Atlanta on a mini family vacation.  Yesterday we spend the day at Six Flags Whitewater.  Did not get any laps in but I think that was the toughest workout I have done all year!

It's back to real training tonight.  I have a 1 hour bike scheduled.

2014-06-05 11:39 AM

User image

I made the mistake of pumping up my tires while on the trainer, which messed up the resistance and totally threw off my workout. Oh well, I'm 6/28 so far. Seems like everyone is nailing this challenge!
2014-06-05 11:52 AM
in reply to: Omne38103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
6/28 as of today. 2 more if you count strength workouts. I know we don't but would be nice to have a cushion in there if I fall short

So much for recovery week. I was having knee pain on the bike due to the fact I got new shoes and the cleats didn't line up the same. No biggie since they are adjusted and I took my wrench with me in case. Long story short I had to get in nearly an hour to make sure the adjustment was correct before my 4hr ride with the team over the weekend. I'm sure if I had to stop to adjust they would have no problem dropping me.

2014-06-05 12:57 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Just finished an 80km hill training ride. The area I live in is fairly flat so I had to create a zig zagging course that allowed me to hit the same big hills on different lines. It was also a very windy day so I made the most of it by sitting up and riding into the wind to get some more 'hill' training. 

2014-06-05 1:21 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
5/28 so far. 7 workouts this week but I have to double up my two commute rides to make a single workout.

Heater issues at the local pool meant I got my lunchtime swim in nice cool water. A good simulation for the weekend! Wish it would break more often.

Going beer shopping on the way home to pick out celebration/condolence beers for the weekend.
2014-06-05 2:17 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by badmo77a 5/28 so far. 7 workouts this week but I have to double up my two commute rides to make a single workout. Heater issues at the local pool meant I got my lunchtime swim in nice cool water. A good simulation for the weekend! Wish it would break more often. Going beer shopping on the way home to pick out celebration/condolence beers for the weekend.

Have you had Nickel Brook Headstock IPA? I have no idea how it is. Just googled microbrewery/Hamilton and came up with this....

2014-06-05 2:42 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Yes, wine -specially red- is full of antioxidants and resveratrol, great for aging. But mainly, great to drink, share and enjoy with family and friends (very much like our sport). This days in India for work, so just 30min run on the gym -booooring-, can´t wait to get back home (Spain) on Monday for a long run. Kingfisher is the main beer here, nothing that would impress you guys. Latvian beers! ...so ignorant...
Good luck for those racing this weekend!

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Wine is good! Nothing wrong with wine - antioxidants, right?! I have a case of red delivered to my house every other month! (hey, it's my only "subscription") haha

4/28 with a ride today. Same 20+ miler in 1:14. Sunny and rolling hills.

Interesting side note - I passed an opposite direction cyclist, waved hello and about 5 minutes later he pulled up next to me on the ride. Turns out he's a 1K2Go team cyclist and we had a great chat on the way back in including some training tips. The first half of my ride was not impressive at all - felt whipped, but chatting it up I turned the second half into my first even split ever on that route without "feeling it". I was pretty psyched! He mentioned they need more females on their team which happens to be sponsored by Felt - which happens to be the brand bike I have which happens to be the cyclist's opening line - "hey, nice Felt!" LOL Anyway, had to share because even when a workout might start out crappy, you never know what may come of it.

Cheers all!
Jenn
2014-06-05 2:53 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Windy is right!  I don't think the wind has even slowed down in my area all year!  It's like uphill on flats!

Thanks Matt!

I got this set of six glasses at the last marathon I did and wanted to show them off.  One lady behind the table said to the other, "See, bring all your stuff out.  You never know what will sell."  I replied, "Yeah, you never know when a home brewing triathlete might show up for a marathon."

(triglass.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
triglass.jpg (76KB - 5 downloads)

2014-06-05 3:17 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

, Vermont
Those. Are. Excellent. Glasses. I am going to have to do some Google shopping to find some. Love it.

So if anyone signs up for the Lake Placid, NY IM, there are a lot of great beers here! A quick trip across Lake Champlain to Burlington, VT and you've got micro-brew heaven. - Zero Gravity Brewing, Magic Hat (not as much a fan), Switchback (heaven on Earth), Fiddlehead Brewing Co., Vermont Pub & Brewery, close by: Otter Creek Brewing and The Alchemist. I feel like a chamber of commerce.

Rest day for me - upper, right gastrocnemius is irritated a bit. Rolling it, massage, and rest today.

Early am ride tomorrow followed by a swim I'm hoping.

Cheers,
Jenn
2014-06-05 4:05 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Juancho Yes, wine -specially red- is full of antioxidants and resveratrol, great for aging. But mainly, great to drink, share and enjoy with family and friends (very much like our sport). This days in India for work, so just 30min run on the gym -booooring-, can´t wait to get back home (Spain) on Monday for a long run. Kingfisher is the main beer here, nothing that would impress you guys. Latvian beers! ...so ignorant... Good luck for those racing this weekend!
Originally posted by aviatrix802 Wine is good! Nothing wrong with wine - antioxidants, right?! I have a case of red delivered to my house every other month! (hey, it's my only "subscription") haha 4/28 with a ride today. Same 20+ miler in 1:14. Sunny and rolling hills. Interesting side note - I passed an opposite direction cyclist, waved hello and about 5 minutes later he pulled up next to me on the ride. Turns out he's a 1K2Go team cyclist and we had a great chat on the way back in including some training tips. The first half of my ride was not impressive at all - felt whipped, but chatting it up I turned the second half into my first even split ever on that route without "feeling it". I was pretty psyched! He mentioned they need more females on their team which happens to be sponsored by Felt - which happens to be the brand bike I have which happens to be the cyclist's opening line - "hey, nice Felt!" LOL Anyway, had to share because even when a workout might start out crappy, you never know what may come of it. Cheers all! Jenn

Just got home from India a 1.5 weeks ago.  Lots of time in the hotel gym, very Booring!

Kingfisher is not what I would call a good beer.

(IMG_0142.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0142.JPG (2114KB - 5 downloads)
2014-06-05 7:43 PM

User image

, Vermont
Blessed by a wonderful birthday present from my sister and bro-in-law. They know me too well!

(Trapp Family Lodge beer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Trapp Family Lodge beer.jpg (749KB - 4 downloads)
2014-06-05 11:06 PM

User image

monty I love the glass.

We should trade recopies sometime

Scott
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51169 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.