Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-02-28 5:11 PM
in reply to: #645139

User image

Beaverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL

LOL!

I lived in Houston for 5 years and grew up in Florida. Bring on the HEAT! I love it.

2007-02-28 7:41 PM

Searcy, AR
Thanks for the encouragement Steve. I run my first Half Marathon Relay on Sunday. That's just a really impressive way to say "little more than a 10K." I'm pretty excited considering that this time last year, I could barely walk a mile without getting winded. Now, my short runs are 3 miles and I hope to get them up to 5. I can't believe that I was so concerned about running 3.1 miles at my first Sprint, now I do it every other day. Thanks again to everyone in the group for all of the encouragement!
2007-03-01 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran

Last night did my final run before the 1/2 mara this Sunday. Did 5.61k in 35 minutes. A lot slower than normal, but excusable due to the sheer ice on the sidewalks. Temp had been great all day (just above freezing), and therefore melted a lot of the snow, but at the time I went out, it was starting to freeze up again.

Anyway the run is in the bag, so roll on Sunday.

2007-03-02 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
WHOOP WHOOP--- IT'S FRIDAY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A BIG WEEKEND FOR SOME OF YOU! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU! LET'S US KNOW HOW IT GOES!!!!!!!
2007-03-04 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran

Well, the Chilly Half is in the bag. It wasn't a great race for me, but coming off an injury and limited training, I was happy that I completed it. Time wasn't stellar, but I got it done. My running buddies that I ran with all had a hard race too, some maybe it was something in the air?

See the race report in the race reports section of the forums.

2007-03-04 5:22 PM

Searcy, AR
Well, I finished my Relay Half Marathon. I don't know the official time, but man am I tired. The distance is nothing new, but the hills I encountered whooped my butt! I'm pretty sure that I ended up running 10 minute pace, but I started off at about 8.5 to 9. My friend that ran the first leg said that he was gonna go ahead and run with me for an additional mile or two until the course wrapped back close to the finish line (there was a lot of loops, he was gonna bow out at around mile 8 or 8.5), but the fool ran the entire Half Marathon! He said he was just too stubborn to quit and didn't really feel like the 6.7 mark was really a "finish." CRAZY!!!! I was trying to push him off the course because I didn't want him to hurt himself. The most he ran during training was about 6.5 miles. He did a 100% increase in a week. I've always been told to not increase more than 10%. He said he was a little sore, but I think it's gonna hit him tomorrow. He's the same guy that is going to do tri's with me this year (well, him and his wife...now I just got to get my wife involved!). I just hope he is okay, but man, he really encouraged me. It was great to have someone to run with, but I didn't want it at the expense of a friend. Anyway, whenever I get the official time, I'll let you know. This race made me rethink wanting to run an Olympic at the beginning of the season in 2 1/2 months...

2007-03-04 11:12 PM

User image

Pro
Awesome job to both of you! Congrats on the weekend races! Great racing!
2007-03-06 2:57 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

I have been such a whiner about the weather.

For the first time in a  l o n g  time I ran today in a t-shirt and shorts.  It is really beautiful today.  Light, hi-altitude clouds, sunshine and 60-degrees.

If you've ever lived in the NW, you  know we LIVE for this kind of day.

7 day forecast: Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain. (let the whining continue).

2007-03-06 4:10 PM
in reply to: #713667

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Can I jump on that bandwagon?  We've got another 2-4 inches of snow predicted tomorrow.  UGH!!  I cannot wait for warmer weather to get here.  There's a tease of 65 degrees in our 7 day forecast.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 
2007-03-06 5:27 PM
in reply to: #713667

User image

Pro
phanders - 2007-03-06 12:57 PM

I have been such a whiner about the weather.

For the first time in a  l o n g  time I ran today in a t-shirt and shorts.  It is really beautiful today.  Light, hi-altitude clouds, sunshine and 60-degrees.

If you've ever lived in the NW, you  know we LIVE for this kind of day.

7 day forecast: Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain. (let the whining continue).

YEAH!!! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ABOUT?? Weather is unreal! TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!
2007-03-07 7:18 AM

Searcy, AR
It's pretty bad down here. All this week, the mornings start out around 33 degrees with clear skies and the high has been averaging 70. Horrid weather. I can't really complain about much except finding time to run and the fact that we don't have a pool in our town that we can use. The local university has an indoor pool, but you have to be a student to use it. I've thought about buying a wet suit and heading out to one of the lakes around here. Fortunately, my swim was my strongest event in my last (only) race. And I only swam 3 times leading up to that.

2007-03-07 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran

Did a nice easy 5.8k tonight in 36 minutes. Felt pretty good and no stiffness from Sunday's race. Ran straight through and felt pretty good.

Got a nice compliment from a 15 year old when he said "Can I run with you guys again as it's great to run with you fast guys!". It made our day.

2007-03-09 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran

So it's the weekend. What's everyone's plans? Mine is to rest up, its been a really busy week at work etc this week. I plan on doing about 19k on Sunday as a training run with a friend of mine. So that will be a good destresser and with temps at about +6c, it'll almost be shorts time?

Up here in cold Canada, it is supposed to warm up a little this weekend and it is also the start of March break, so most of the schools will be on break this week. Is it the same in the States?

2007-03-09 6:04 PM

User image

I had a tough run tonight after soccer and my pace showed it, still felt pretty good for 50 and raining. Tomorrow I'll have a swim and study my anatomy (presuming i can find my goggles tonight) and sunday will either be an off day or an easy day. Spring break is around the corner here in the States for most schools, I get the 2 days surrounding Easter , but it IS shorts weather here finally. Almost forgot, probably going to get a bike tomorrow. I was guided towards a FELT F-60 that is selling for $500 under usual price...Anybody have a FELT or have any opinions on them?

Adam
2007-03-10 11:18 AM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

adam gentzler wrote:
"Tomorrow I'll have a swim and study my anatomy..."

Sorry, I just had to laugh at how that sounds! Just checking to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be I guess!

2007-03-10 6:17 PM

User image

Haha, fair enough, I set myself up for that. But I did get a bike today... New '05 Felt F-60 with the help of an experienced friend. I'm pumped to finally have the missing piece of my triathlon plan in my hands. I'll put a picture soon!
Adam

2007-03-11 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran

Just back from a good 18.95k (my running buddy had 19.5 according to his Garmin) run:

Felt good, a little faster than last weeks pace at the race, finished in 2hrs 7 minutes. Achilles was a little tender by the end, but not too bad. Was cold to start, but warmed up well. Icy in places, so was forced to walk at those areas. Temperature up to about 3c.

Was nice to be out in less layers and under the bright sun.

2007-03-12 8:47 AM

User image

My husband and I ran the Cooper City (FL)/Jim Richardson 5K race Sunday morning -- on my birthday. I tried to lean a little more into my run this time (I've been told I pick my feet up off the ground well but don't seem to get as much forward progression out of it as I could). Well, maybe it was the focussed attention on my form or just the race atmosphere but I ran the 3.1mi in 31:23. My usual pace is over 11/mi, so I am very pleased with my 10:05 pace! My legs feel it today... (but worth it)!
2007-03-12 8:51 AM
in reply to: #719579

User image

Veteran

mdelder - 2007-03-12 9:47 AM My husband and I ran the Cooper City (FL)/Jim Richardson 5K race Sunday morning -- on my birthday. I tried to lean a little more into my run this time (I've been told I pick my feet up off the ground well but don't seem to get as much forward progression out of it as I could). Well, maybe it was the focussed attention on my form or just the race atmosphere but I ran the 3.1mi in 31:23. My usual pace is over 11/mi, so I am very pleased with my 10:05 pace! My legs feel it today... (but worth it)!

Great job! It's nice to get a PB, eh!

Are you using the Chi Running techniques? That technique suggests that you run with your core and lean forward to gain speed, and use a mid foot strike. I have taken the 1/2 day course and things have improved, but I still need to practive the "core" stuff.

2007-03-12 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
Great 5K race. That is awesome! YOU KNOW YOU CAN DO IT NOW! GOOD WORK! A month ago you were running 12 min. miles! Now down to 10:05! Rock on SISTA!
2007-03-12 1:16 PM
in reply to: #719596

User image

Are you using the Chi Running techniques? That technique suggests that you run with your core and lean forward to gain speed, and use a mid foot strike. I have taken the 1/2 day course and things have improved, but I still need to practive the "core" stuff.

I have only been running for the past 2 years and until now have not heard of Chi Running. A quick Google gave me an overview of it -- anything that can help me become more efficient and alleve my nagging knee pain is worth looking into. Thanks for the tip.

On another race note, we wore timing chips but there was no timing mat we stepped over at the start. I guess our times started with the pistol? I hadn't seen that before (what's the point of wearing a chip then?), but I guess with only 300 runners it didn't make that much of a difference on the time.

2007-03-14 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran

Just back from doing hills with Marathon clinic tonight. 500m hills supposed to do 6 repeats, but did 4 as the Achilles was getting stressed. Stretched it out and ran back with the group in pretty good pace.

Off tomorrow to Colorado Springs until Sunday night. So some Skiing, running a St Pats 5k on Saturday and probably some Golf on Sunday. So should be a great weekend visiting my brother and his family.

Talk to you next week, and I'll let you all know how the race at 6,000 feet goes.

2007-03-14 7:46 PM

User image

Pro
ENJOY YOUR TRIP! HAVE FUN!
2007-03-15 9:26 AM

Regular
TX
Add me to the TRIATHLETE list! I finished my first one on Saturday in Athens, Texas. I met 3 of 4 goals I had for myself and I will be doing a race report when I have some time. But, here were my goals. 1) Don't finish last (I finished 302 out of 437 entries) 2) Finish the race (I did), 3) Finish in under 1:45 (I finished in 1:39.23) 4) Don't walk on the run portion of the race (NADA, didn't happen. I walked WAY too much) But it is obvious that running is my biggest weakness, which I already knew. I actually finished respectable (for me) in the swim (5:42) and bike (15.9 average), but running was horrible. I will be retooling my workouts and working hard on my run. But, I have done it now and have fulfilled a goal I have had for a LONG time. BTW I started training using the 22 week program on BT back in October. It was great. Thanks for all the tips and support! As you can tell, I am still stoked...

2007-03-15 9:59 AM
in reply to: #723725

User image

Pro
JLarge - 2007-03-15 7:26 AM

Add me to the TRIATHLETE list! I finished my first one on Saturday in Athens, Texas. I met 3 of 4 goals I had for myself and I will be doing a race report when I have some time. But, here were my goals. 1) Don't finish last (I finished 302 out of 437 entries) 2) Finish the race (I did), 3) Finish in under 1:45 (I finished in 1:39.23) 4) Don't walk on the run portion of the race (NADA, didn't happen. I walked WAY too much) But it is obvious that running is my biggest weakness, which I already knew. I actually finished respectable (for me) in the swim (5:42) and bike (15.9 average), but running was horrible. I will be retooling my workouts and working hard on my run. But, I have done it now and have fulfilled a goal I have had for a LONG time. BTW I started training using the 22 week program on BT back in October. It was great. Thanks for all the tips and support! As you can tell, I am still stoked...

HECK YEAH! THIS IS GREAT! WAY TO GO! Some advice that always helped me. Running is one thing, but running after getting off the bike!!!!??? A WHOLE DIFFERENT GAME. You have probably got all 3 disciplines down (distance wise). Make sure that you are scheduling a 10 minute or so run after a bike ride (you don't need to do it everytime, but maybe 1 time every other week). You just want to get your legs used to that JELLO, SHAKEY, WABLLY FEELING that you have when you get off the bike. I think about 5-10 minutes of running will get the legs feeling good! Congrats again. Can't wait to see the race report. ARE YOU HOOKED?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21