BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-04-13 8:32 AM
in reply to: #758827

Subject: RE: Julia's Group - Full
trYgrl - 2007-04-12 12:37 PM

Fantastic! I'm on Spring break, in Wi. with snow....atleast it doesn't make me want to go out and bike/run. That is a good thing for me yet. So instead, Yoga, swim, P.T., rest, graduate work, grading papers and relaxing a little bit. I've been reading Runners World....love it! So motivational. Makes me feel bad for whining all this time....so that is my goal, and when I swim to always make the time to go 1800 yds or more...so if my training partner can't get there on time, I'll start going after school and leave her to fend for herself. Also to stay swimming 3x/week.

Thank goodness for the snow then! What's your area of study? Getting to the pool on time is something I need to work on, at my gym they seem to have lane swims open in the early morning and I get there when it's nearly over. Hate getting a 20 minute swim in when I could have been there for 45min. I just started training with a partner and it's so motivational!

2007-04-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: #759799

User image

Grafton, WI

francisjade - 2007-04-13 8:32 AM
Thank goodness for the snow then! What's your area of study? Getting to the pool on time is something I need to work on, at my gym they seem to have lane swims open in the early morning and I get there when it's nearly over. Hate getting a 20 minute swim in when I could have been there for 45min. I just started training with a partner and it's so motivational!

My graduate program is Instructional Technology...what is that?  It is incorporating technology into the classroom.  I am a High School Physical Educaiton and Health Ed. teacher.  I've added a lot with heart rate monitors, media maker, using Excel into my classroom.  So my research was whether or not heart rate monitors affect motivation levels for students to be working at a moderate to vigorous physical activity level in class, and whether their rate of percieved exertion is an accurate means of assessing how hard they worked according to their average heart rate during class activities.  There are so many factors that affect the outcome, that it would be really neat to see this in a lab setting where kids volunteer to be a part. Then teacher influence wouldn't play a factor, nor would students who do anything to mess things up.....So I don't think there will be a significant difference between that and pulse count, I'm still sorting through the data and threw out individuals that weren't there or something went wrong on one of the 10 days of collection.  Before throwing them out, the heart monitor group was definately higher.  I know heart rate monitors/my Garmin has helped keep me focused on pace, heart rate, etc. during training, but I have a totally different mentality than these kids.  They are a great group, but most complained about wearing the straps......They don't know how lucky they are. 

Edited by trYgrl 2007-04-13 10:14 AM
2007-04-13 9:40 PM
in reply to: #759950

trYgrl - 2007-04-13 10:12 AM

francisjade - 2007-04-13 8:32 AM

My graduate program is Instructional Technology...what is that? It is incorporating technology into the classroom. I am a High School Physical Educaiton and Health Ed. teacher. I've added a lot with heart rate monitors, media maker, using Excel into my classroom. So my research was whether or not heart rate monitors affect motivation levels for students to be working at a moderate to vigorous physical activity level in class, and whether their rate of percieved exertion is an accurate means of assessing how hard they worked according to their average heart rate during class activities. There are so many factors that affect the outcome, that it would be really neat to see this in a lab setting where kids volunteer to be a part. Then teacher influence wouldn't play a factor, nor would students who do anything to mess things up.....So I don't think there will be a significant difference between that and pulse count, I'm still sorting through the data and threw out individuals that weren't there or something went wrong on one of the 10 days of collection. Before throwing them out, the heart monitor group was definately higher. I know heart rate monitors/my Garmin has helped keep me focused on pace, heart rate, etc. during training, but I have a totally different mentality than these kids. They are a great group, but most complained about wearing the straps......They don't know how lucky they are.

What a fun research project! Did you choose this specific project because you found it motivating to use a HR monitor yourself? I'd be interested in hearing about the results, specifically whether or not kids were accurate in assessing their own rate of perceived effort.
2007-04-14 8:48 AM
in reply to: #760879

User image

Grafton, WI
francisjade - 2007-04-13 9:40 PM
trYgrl - 2007-04-13 10:12 AM

[

What a fun research project! Did you choose this specific project because you found it motivating to use a HR monitor yourself? I'd be interested in hearing about the results, specifically whether or not kids were accurate in assessing their own rate of perceived effort.

When you teach physical education, sometimes you are limited to technology around you, plus the time factor...plus I have found that after using a HR monitor for awhile, you no longer need one to tell you how hard you are working, because you are so intuned with your body.  I scream fitness, so this was something I found of interest.  Of course I have to make things more difficult and do the second part of it, but that is ok.  I'll let you know the outcome...right now the difference is not significant between the two, however the group that wore HR monitors were slightly higher.  I haven't looked at the RPE yet.....I'll keep you posted! 

2007-04-14 4:05 PM
in reply to: #761026

User image

West Richland

trYgrl, your research sounds really cool, I'd be interested to hear the results too. Those ungrateful high school kids, I'd love to be part of a study like that and get to use a HRM for my workouts! Smile I'd really like to get one at some point, because like you said I think it would help me be more in tune with my body, whereas I think my rate of perceived effort can vary wildly based on how cranky or lazy I'm feeling on a particular day.

2007-04-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: #661678

User image

Grafton, WI
I think RPE can be so skewed to how receptive you are to your workout, if you are hydrated, or if you even know what it is like to push yourself.  I laugh when kids think that it is the end of the world after they sweat in P.E., or a student who thinks they deserve an A and their hands are in their pockets all the time (doing what, I'm not sure!)...more than half the time they don't know what hard work is! 

2007-04-15 4:15 PM

I have a question, what's your experience with wind. Today I went on the longest bike ride of the season, I decided to go south 20km because I felt fast and strong and physically very comfortable. When it was time to return I faced this horrible wind that sucked all the strength out of me. My route was very hilly and had no gears left to climb them. I would never have thought a bit of wind could really slow you down, or perhaps having wind behind you makes you much faster. Wind was 19-30km/hour (11-18miles/hour), doesn't sound like a lot but it really beat me back.
2007-04-15 6:02 PM
in reply to: #761946

User image

Master
Colorado

francisjade - 2007-04-15 3:15 PM I have a question, what's your experience with wind. Today I went on the longest bike ride of the season, I decided to go south 20km because I felt fast and strong and physically very comfortable. When it was time to return I faced this horrible wind that sucked all the strength out of me. My route was very hilly and had no gears left to climb them. I would never have thought a bit of wind could really slow you down, or perhaps having wind behind you makes you much faster. Wind was 19-30km/hour (11-18miles/hour), doesn't sound like a lot but it really beat me back.

My opinion is that wind is worse than hills!!!  At least the hills are predictable and consistent - wind NEVER is.  I always try to head into the wind on the way out - just like I try to ride UP the hill first because you never know how hard the return trip will be   The bottom line is the wind can slow you down more than you can imagine and can help you at your back as well.  Wind is probably the biggest factor in any race.  You can count on bike times being slower if there is wind on a course!!

2007-04-15 7:42 PM

Great day here in Western Colorado!
Had all intentions to ride the 16mile race route and run the 3.5 mile trail run-as you know where good intentions lead.
First off why do we (everyone in general) invite people to do something and then regret it after? We have a couple friends whom we do everything with-except exercise, besides walking. We are very similar in wanting to be healthy(thin) but I tend to be more aggressive and doing it. For example I talked about signing up for this sprint and the feelings of doubt but the idea of finishing as well as gettinginto better shape to train for it would be exciting. Their response is WHY and NO Way not me. Ok back to the point, We have been pushing ourselves in learning to run, bike and as little as we do swim. Now we want them to be healthy/fit too so we mention our plans for Sunday and throuw out there want to join us? Well they actually took us up on it. Good but bad! So we start off in the ride and get 15 min in and a long steep climb up. Hubby and I of course stop to wait although they said to go ahead without 'em.
Would everyone wait or would you just go on?
As husband pulls off road to wait he fills his tires with goat heads, as friends catch up the other guy ends up doing the same thing. They end up having to walk, us gals volunteer to go back to the vehicles and come back-great in theory. I thought there was a road up ahead that didn't exist so had to back track again---Ok as I am giving to much info I end up leaving the friend behind and ride as hard as I can(slow) back come get everyone else. So 16 mi ended up for me 9.5. THEN the 3.5 mi run was not a run at all with the friends who don't like to run it was a brisk walk. Everything worked out ok enjoyed the day and the company and know for sure will not just throw it out there for others to join when it is more for "training"

Besides the other questions-how do you get out of doing ?? with someone who you know will slow or not even come close to challenging you to do ?? ? (clear as mud)

A question I think I asked before-Is it best to concentrate on improving the exact didstance for your event or should you push for further distance? (for the 3.5 mile run only train at 3.5 miles)

Sorry to bore everyone with my story.
2007-04-15 8:19 PM
in reply to: #762054

juliapurr - 2007-04-15 6:02 PM

francisjade - 2007-04-15 3:15 PM I have a question, what's your experience with wind. Today I went on the longest bike ride of the season, I decided to go south 20km because I felt fast and strong and physically very comfortable. When it was time to return I faced this horrible wind that sucked all the strength out of me. My route was very hilly and had no gears left to climb them. I would never have thought a bit of wind could really slow you down, or perhaps having wind behind you makes you much faster. Wind was 19-30km/hour (11-18miles/hour), doesn't sound like a lot but it really beat me back.

My opinion is that wind is worse than hills!!! At least the hills are predictable and consistent - wind NEVER is. I always try to head into the wind on the way out - just like I try to ride UP the hill first because you never know how hard the return trip will be The bottom line is the wind can slow you down more than you can imagine and can help you at your back as well. Wind is probably the biggest factor in any race. You can count on bike times being slower if there is wind on a course!!

I'm amazed at how much winds stalls you! Heading into the wind is a great idea, the ride home would be awesome.
2007-04-16 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Diane - this happens to me ALL of the time.  I need to get in a certain pace run according to my coach then my hubby says "Can I run with you?"  I NEVER say no, but I have learned to run around in circles!!  Same thing when I ride.   I will ride ahead hard for 10', then turn around, regroup, make sure everyone is good, then push ahead again after riding with the slower folks for a few minutes.  With the running, I will usually do intervals or sprints within the run ahead of the hubby, then run back to him on the recoveries.  As long as they don't mind, it's all good  

As far as training the distance or beyond - it's different for everyone depending on experience level and race distance.  For instance my first race was an OLY with a 10k run at the end.  I only actually ran the full 10k once before the race.  Now I train up to 15 miles for a 6 mile race...  I would say once you feel comfortable jogging the entire 3.1 miles, then start training longer distances.  I wouldn't run more than 4-5 miles for now.  On the bike, though it is ALWAYS good to train longer than your race distance.  This is because you want to make sure your race distance is "EASY" for you so you can perform well and still have something in the tank for the run.  And biking has not much impact like running, so not as much risk of injury.  Same with the swimming - SWIM AWAY  

So now that we are half way through April - remember some of us set goals for April hours??  How are we all doing? 

My goals are :  Swim 10 hours, Bike 25 and run 15.  I am halfway there on the swim, but I'm only at 11 hours on the bike and 5 hours on the run...  I think I will still get pretty close after looking at my psycho workout schedule for the rest of the month - we'll see

2007-04-16 2:37 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
So this morning I had the goal of starting my no less than 1800 yds per swim...and I stuck to it.  Not only did I get in 1800 yds, I got my butt up earlier and biked to work before I swam! (Ok, its less than a mile, but at 5:30 a.m. at 35 degrees?)  My training partner showed up late as usual, but I couldn't be mad since she bonked or was dehydrated yesterday after a long run and hasn't felt good since.  So she stayed and "watched" or slept from the deck as I swam.  How could you be mad after that? Off to try to bike for a half hour now...maybe it'll be my lucky day and I will make it for 45 before I have to stop.  Enjoy the nice weather...stay focused on those races! 
2007-04-16 9:15 PM
in reply to: #763456

Thanks - makes sense. I need to go further on the bike thats for sure.
I will work on the other stuff too as well as running back for husband the few times he is behind. If he starts running before me, he has to slow down for me. His stride is a lot longer than mine but I have more stamina than he. He is nice enough to wait for me but I don't wait for him.

Thanks for the advice again.
Good luck with your goals.
2007-04-16 10:48 PM

Yes I need to start biking further too. My tri has a 30km bike, and I tried a 30km last week, yesterday I did 40km, I hope to get a 60km midweek because i was invited on a group ride for 80km next Sunday! They seem like fast people. I hope there will be some slow people too, my friend who talked me into it and says riding with a group is easier. I'm pretty nervous but will let you know how it goes. My first group ride!

As for mid month goals, I am a bit behind. These past few days I've felt stronger and more energetic, I actually crave working out each day. I'm pretty sure I'll make my goal hours. These long bike rides will add up fast.

So far Bike 6/14hours, run 3/7, swim 3/8. I'm under half for each sport but I'm short 17 hours and there are 14 days left in the month, I think I can do over an hour workout on average each day.
2007-04-18 11:54 AM

User image

Grafton, WI
Yippee!  Another work day and 1800 yds before accomplished!  On track this week, but with class Friday night and all day Sat and no swim scheduled for Sat. it will be difficult to get in another swim this week.  Maybe Friday...there is a thought.  I hope that everyone is right on track this week.  Going to try again for 30-45 min. on the bike tonight.  Played a little floor hockey in class today, felt pretty good...maybe that is a start! 
2007-04-18 10:41 PM

OK Has anyone tried running immediately after a long bike ride? I biked 42km today and tried to run....and my legs felt like led, I could NOT make them move fast. I was with a friend and we both thought we were running slower than we walk. We ran 5minutes which is what we planned. But imagine doing 7.5km after a 30km bike ride. WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO? Triathlons seem doable when you read about them but it's a completely different animal doing them!

2007-04-19 11:45 AM
in reply to: #767728

User image

Grafton, WI

francisjade - 2007-04-18 10:41 PM OK Has anyone tried running immediately after a long bike ride? I biked 42km today and tried to run....and my legs felt like led, I could NOT make them move fast. I was with a friend and we both thought we were running slower than we walk. We ran 5minutes which is what we planned. But imagine doing 7.5km after a 30km bike ride. WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO? Triathlons seem doable when you read about them but it's a completely different animal doing them!

I've seen people biff it as well when they get off the bike and turn to running.  They are different muscle groups and it takes me about a mile to get my legs back.  When you train, you want to do bricks to practice that feeling and get you more used to it.  So bike hard, then do a short run after....this is a good thing to practice your transitions as well.  One of my first races I had to run up a mile hill shortly after transition and didn't have my legs back yet.  It was torture! Congrats on that feeling! 

2007-04-19 11:54 AM

User image

Shoreline
I am still struggling with speed in the pool. I swam 2 miles yesterday but I can't seem to get myself to push for a faster stroke. I feel really good about the endurance part, now I just have to figure out a way to convince myself to start going faster. In theory I know there are drills where you go faster for a short sprint, then keep making that short sprint longer and longer. Sounds good, but I cannot get myself out of my current swimming groove. I am trying a triathlon training swim/master class tonight so maybe they will motivate me.

Finally got a bike trailer for the kiddios, and have gone for a couple short rides outside so I am hoping that I will start logging more outside rides and longer distances. I am shooting for at least one 25 mile ride a week....we will see.
2007-04-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: #768480

trYgrl - 2007-04-19 11:45 AM

francisjade - 2007-04-18 10:41 PM OK Has anyone tried running immediately after a long bike ride? I biked 42km today and tried to run....and my legs felt like led, I could NOT make them move fast. I was with a friend and we both thought we were running slower than we walk. We ran 5minutes which is what we planned. But imagine doing 7.5km after a 30km bike ride. WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO? Triathlons seem doable when you read about them but it's a completely different animal doing them!

I've seen people biff it as well when they get off the bike and turn to running. They are different muscle groups and it takes me about a mile to get my legs back. When you train, you want to do bricks to practice that feeling and get you more used to it. So bike hard, then do a short run after....this is a good thing to practice your transitions as well. One of my first races I had to run up a mile hill shortly after transition and didn't have my legs back yet. It was torture! Congrats on that feeling!

This is interesting! Yes I believe you it was torture, it was torture running 5min on a flat surface, imagine a hill? I'll do bricks, but is there any other way to get your runner legs back quicker? I read somewhere, maybe from Julia, that having the same RPM and leg turnover speed will help. Do you do this? My quads felt like a huge block of led!
2007-04-19 9:28 PM
in reply to: #767728

User image

Master
Colorado

francisjade - 2007-04-18 9:41 PM OK Has anyone tried running immediately after a long bike ride? I biked 42km today and tried to run....and my legs felt like led, I could NOT make them move fast. I was with a friend and we both thought we were running slower than we walk. We ran 5minutes which is what we planned. But imagine doing 7.5km after a 30km bike ride. WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO? Triathlons seem doable when you read about them but it's a completely different animal doing them!

Why do you think it's called a brick - because that's how your legs feel   I can tell you a few things for sure that will help.  DRINK A TON on the bike.  Pushing the faster rpm's will also help, but you WILL feel a little like jello for the first mile.  Trust me when I tell you it gets better after that.  Also something that ALWAYS surprises me in a race or a serious brick workout - I feel like crap, but when I look down at my watch and see my pace - it's FASTER than it feels.  Think of it this way - you don't need to do a warmup because you're already there!!  And it WILL get better the more often you do them.  You might even find yourself enjoying that feeling...  OK maybe I'm a sadist

2007-04-19 9:29 PM
in reply to: #766545

User image

Master
Colorado

trYgrl - 2007-04-18 10:54 AM Yippee!  Another work day and 1800 yds before accomplished!  On track this week, but with class Friday night and all day Sat and no swim scheduled for Sat. it will be difficult to get in another swim this week.  Maybe Friday...there is a thought.  I hope that everyone is right on track this week.  Going to try again for 30-45 min. on the bike tonight.  Played a little floor hockey in class today, felt pretty good...maybe that is a start! 

AWESOME work.  It's great that you are finding your groove and getting back on the bike more and more.  And I hope you DO get in the pool once more - as for me I have already done 2 swims this week and still have TWO more to go!  My coach is also a sadist

2007-04-19 9:31 PM
in reply to: #768494

User image

Master
Colorado

Caycee - 2007-04-19 10:54 AM I am still struggling with speed in the pool. I swam 2 miles yesterday but I can't seem to get myself to push for a faster stroke. I feel really good about the endurance part, now I just have to figure out a way to convince myself to start going faster. In theory I know there are drills where you go faster for a short sprint, then keep making that short sprint longer and longer. Sounds good, but I cannot get myself out of my current swimming groove. I am trying a triathlon training swim/master class tonight so maybe they will motivate me. Finally got a bike trailer for the kiddios, and have gone for a couple short rides outside so I am hoping that I will start logging more outside rides and longer distances. I am shooting for at least one 25 mile ride a week....we will see.

I think that you will find that master's class GREAT.  Even from someone who was already fast (in my own mind anyway) I have improved a TON swimming with other people.  You push that little extra and never leave off that extra 200 at the end  

At least one 25 mile ride a week would be great and pulling the kiddy trailer will do you a TON of good with your leg strength.  Just be careful on the hills and find the lowest gear you can

2007-04-20 12:07 AM

I love training for a triathlon, I'm more fit than I ever would be (I think) and I feel kinda hard core!!!!! Good for us!! I'm proud of us.
2007-04-20 2:19 PM

Thanks Julia for the inspire me- and Francisjade for your comment too.
I am so inspired by everyone here, it makes me want to do better.
That feeling of pride and accomplishment is not only in my own but when checking in with everyones else. I can understand that everyone has struggle from time to time.

Everyone Keep up the good work.
Caycee with a pull behind and 25 miles! Wow! (see now my struggle to push myself 16 doesn't seem so tuff.)

Have a great weekend everyone!
2007-04-23 12:14 AM

hi everyone!
julia (and anyone else!) I am starting to feel like i need a better handle on my race-day nutrition for the HIM. i've read things like drink 6-12 oz fluid every 15 minutes and to take in so many cal. per hour, but i just don't feel like i have a plan and know what i'm going to eat.

any good nutrition plans?

thanks!
megan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18