Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-06-05 9:14 PM
in reply to: #831203

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

Hey there, Rich!!! Of couse we missed you! Where would we be without our Fearless Leader, our Great Guru, our Obi Wan, our Fount of Wisdom and Knowledge! 

We finally had a gorgeous day here in the Austin area - sunny, a little cooler than usual, less humidity, and a nice light breeze.  Perfect for working out!  Today was my hubby's work-at-home day, too, so he had the kids and I had all the time in the world to get out there.  I love my Tuesdays - I'm so spoiled!

I had a really nice workout today - a personal best on the bike on my short course near the house.  I finally broke 15mph on the darn thing, which isn't exactly approaching a land speed record or anything, but it does include one big hill (which I topped at the blazing speed of 5.5 mph!).  I followed it up with a short run, which I did in a 10min/mile flat.  Pretty nice for me.   I did a short swim after dinner - just a mile nice and easy.  Closed the evening with some playtime in the pool with the kiddos.  All in all, a very nice day...I'll sleep well tonight, too!

Now for your questions....my biggest struggle: running, no question.  My biggest fear: falling off of my bike and getting really hurt, especially since I tend to ride solo.  I always take my cell phone with me and try to stick to roads where there are other cyclists and motorists that can help in an emergency. Breakthroughs: I figured out last year that the races where I ended up walking during the run were the runs on trails.  I was doing fine on harder surfaces, but cracking on the softer ones.  I started doing some of my runs on the cross-country training track behind the high school near my house and I improved a lot! What am I doing new: strength training - I got serious about it at the beginning of May. Am I on track for my next race: Yes, I think so.  My next race is a sprint, and I've really increased my volume of training so I have a lot of confidence in being able to actually RACE instead of just getting through the course. What I need help on the most: improving my running form. Food choices: lately, they've been pretty good.  With my 300cal/3hours experiment underway, I've been logging my food again to get a grasp on what 300 cal looks like, so I've been pretty conscious of what I'm eating.  Lots of fruits and veggies! I'll weigh in tomorrow and see if I've made any progress this week.

Sorry for the llllllooooonnnnnnnggggg entry tonight. Hope you all are having a great week!

Edited by katzchen55 2007-06-05 9:17 PM

2007-06-05 10:06 PM
in reply to: #831359

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Andi!

Thanks for your GREAT post! Congratulations on breathing every third stroke. Isn't it amazing how it helps? That is also good about keeping the head down in a neutral position. There are two other things that I might suggest if you are not doing so already:

1) Belly to the Wall.... rotate your entire body as if it was one plank so that your body is almost facing the side of the pool.

2) After you have executed your stroke and your arm/hand is out in front of you, try to get your chin into your armpit. What that does is makes you more streamlined. Look at the swim video and see if you can't see me bury my chin into my armpit. I think about trying to get through a needle whole.

Couple of things on the answers you provided (and THANKS)!
Regarding pedalling and retrieving your water bottle, I actually stop pedalling myself during a triathlon. The only time I really don't stop pedalling is when I'm with the team and in a pace line. I only drink at the end of the pace line.

"What are you trying new?
Keeping my shoulders back when I run, not letting my arms swing in front of me but along side of me, and relaxing my feet (suggestion from my TNT coach). " Listen to the coach. He is right on the arm swinging. I do a warm up with my feet. I put the toes of my shoe on the ground as if I was going to go on point to do a ballet. I then rotate my foot and ankle to loosen my feet up. (Hint: Only do this with one foot at a time.)

I'll spend a whole post on transitions for you. On the running technique, work with your TNT coach who can actually see you running. I will tell you that from the "swinging arms" feedback he gave you, he knows what he is doing.

Andi! One day enjoying yourself will not kill you. Never feel guilty or bad about your choices. You know when to make the choices you need to make. Good Job on the $300! Do you hate counting calories? Hmmmmm

Have a GREAT evening!

Rich
2007-06-05 10:12 PM
in reply to: #831420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Angela:

Good that your husband has a trainer!!! I'm glad that you are starting to see changes and good job on portion sizes, decreasing snacking and sweets. It is those little adjustments that can make a world of difference.

Aaaaah the kids are ripe for trying different foods.... strike now while you have a chance! :p

Thanks, Angela!
2007-06-05 10:13 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Houston
how's everyone doing? (Texas and Florida having weather issues.......) What is your biggest struggle? What is your biggest fear? What breakthroughs have you experience? What are you trying new? Are you on track for your upcoming triathlons? What do you need help on the most? How are your food choices? These are just some random questions. You don't have to answer all of them

Q1 Im doing great got a busy meet month swim meets on 10th and 16th. First Tri JULY 1st (signed up today)
Q2 balancing my busy social life with my busy training schedule.
Q3 Running!! it is quickly becoming enjoyable and not a pain ( or something I was embarrased about)
Q4 spinning class/ running a bit slower and a lot longer.
Q5 YUP SIGNED UP TODAY
Q6 not riding my bike like im in a park but actually racing it!!
Q7 they have become MUCH better since i started this mentor program (EXCEPT FOR THE COFFEE) Eating smarter makes me feel better when I make big worng turns I stomach tells me hahaaha
2007-06-05 10:19 PM
in reply to: #831454

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey KAT!

I'm just jealous of your Tuesdays! Definitely take advantage of them ..... make me jealous every week with a report on your training day.

Good Job on your bike course....you are already seeing improvements. Good Job! Here is a good drill. On that one big hill, do repeats.....climb the hill, go back down the hill and go back up the hill....x 8. Do that once a week. That will really build your climbing muscles. Ooohhhh and the climbing is down as fast/hard as you can.

KAT! You're doing a GREAT JOB from doing your runs on the cross-country training track to getting serious about your strength training to your nutritional choices! You are going to make some major breakthroughs!!!!!

Keep it up KAT!

Rich
2007-06-05 10:30 PM
in reply to: #831507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Derek!

Good to hear from you!

* Excellent that you signed up for your first Tri! Which one is it?
* As far as your social life, get your friends to join you or help you train. For a support team...they can hold the beer bottles/cans! OOOORRRRR ...... challenge them! Get them to start training with you.
* I think that slowing down a little has made it much more enjoyable. Do you have a heart rate monitor? What is probably happening is that you are in aerobic instead of anerobic levels.
* Crank that bike up, sir! Time to take control of that mode of transportation and haul!
* If you are making a lot of changes in your diet, work on the coffee later. You could substitute half of your coffee with decaf!

Keep it up, Derek..... and let's here some GREAT news on your swim meets!

Rich

2007-06-06 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Work has been insanely busy...so I'm just catching up.

What is your biggest struggle? Staying consistent with a healthy diet and not indulging more than I should / loosing weight. It's not going to help that I am going on vacation (my mantra for the vacation: "stick with the fruit Christine...stick with the fruit...")

What is your biggest fear? DNF

What breakthroughs have you experience? I am not swimming HUGE distances in the pool, but I have gone the full distance of my race in the pool without stopping. I have done the same with running -- big breakthrough for me.

What are you trying new? Speed on the bike

Are you on track for your upcoming triathlons? Yes

What do you need help on the most? Keeping my pie-hole shut! ;-)

How are your food choices? Not terrible; but obviously not good enough for weight loss yet.

I am a bit concerned with the fact that the next 8 weeks are going to get crazy for me. After vacation, we are settling on a new house, renovating the one we now own and moving -- all in between my two races. My husband rightly expects plenty of help from me. Perhaps when looking at my schedule for the next 8 weeks, I need to plan to do most of my workouts in the AM so I can participate in the rest of this stuff after work. Add some massages and chiropractic care and that should work!

So what do you guys think of my plan? How do you handle it when things get super-busy? (Those of you who have children probably already do this every day!)
2007-06-06 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys!
its so wonderful to hear from all of you!! I am glad everyone seems to be totally on track.

kat- cutting down the portions of meals I take, has made HUGE HUGE difference, also eating healthy stuff and listening to my body when its hungry. Now I seem to be getting full much faster, and I try to chew more I know the results will show next week.

Derek- yey YOU appeared from the dark again! weee haa awesome that you are spinning and feeling confortable runnin.

Andi- Girl, you made 300 bucks!! girl forget the hot dog! the hot dog was worth it!!! hahaha. Sometimes we all fall of the wagon with the food thing. But Just dont over analyze and just start fresh today.

Cris- I hear ya with the busy life, I have to take the FL bar soon, since im licensed in OKC. but not here. So I want to just get it out of the way, even if technicly i dont need it for the practice I do presently. My test is in July, but I know I can do it, if I plan. just make a schedule, that always makes me feel better, counting hours and balancing all that stuff. Even if you dont follow it to the T, you can always alter it!

Ang- Man, wheat pasta, wheat everything is sooo much tastier than the other stuff. I can hear you kids. Growing up in South America, i was super exposed to veggies fruits and now I can;'t live without them. So, its good like Rich said, to start em early!!! Im meditating on the trainer!!! he he

barb: where are you girl? I asssume super busy. it's something with the moon and planets I think. werent u going on vacation, now im confussed.

Rich: you're the best!!! he he he. $$ spent on wine is a wize decision!!!( although I know you'd rather use it for a new frame! he he he)

Anyways guys, its awesome to hear everyone is doing so great. it's definately very inspiring!!!
love you all.
2007-06-06 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I leave very early for Mexico tomorrow. Back late Tuesday night.
2007-06-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #831739

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Have a safe trip Christine!

Rich
2007-06-06 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Christine ..... your schedule looks fine. In those cases where your schedule is getting really hectic, definitely get your workout in early in the day..... life's distractions will be just that and will inhibit you from successfully completing your workouts.

I have found, personally, that if I don't get my workouts done in the morning, they aren't happening....and I will use every excuse in the book to miss a workout when things get zany crazy!

2007-06-06 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Triathlon Equipment
Hey Gang!

Found this list of equipment and fitting recommendations over on REI's website

http://www.rei.com/online/store/LearnShareDetailArticlesList?storeI...

Check it out!

Rich
2007-06-06 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Great list, Rich.

Have to look up this "race belt" thing -- otherwise, I'm all set with gear. We are doing a mini tri practice next Saturday to make sure eveything clicks for race day. Really about practicing the transitions and making sure we're good with our gear.
2007-06-06 2:30 PM
in reply to: #832588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
The race belt is in lieu of pinning your number to your shirt/jersey/racing top. You can slide the belt around so the number is by the low of your back during the cycling and you can slide it around in front so your number can be seen by people, announcers, and photograghers.

I also have a fuel gel flask attachment that works nicely for Oly and Half IM distances.

I have put the race belt on under my wetsuit so that when I take the wetsuit off, my race number is already attached. Does take a little practice of not ripping the number off when taking the wetsuit off!

Worth investigating.
2007-06-06 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Nutrition Guidelines
Howdy! I found this nutrition guidelines out on the REI website, too! Just information that reinforces what we have talked about in this thread, but good to see the information in a capsulated format.

http://www.rei.com/LearnShareDetailArticlesList?categoryId=Crosstra...

Rich
2007-06-06 2:39 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Christine, have a great time in Mexico!  I love it there!  Eat and drink for me...

Derek, glad you signed up for the Tri.  Which one?

Andi, great job on the golf game!  My dad is an avid golfer and wins "toys and stuff" all the time.  Yesterday, he won a all expense trip to CA to play at Pebble Beach and other courses.  Plus about a dozen other prizes...GC at a jewelry store, golf bag, box seats for 20 at the Rangers game (baseball), etc.  I wish I had more time to play.  This training takes up all my extra time!

Caru, study hard for your bar exam.  I'm taking a test Aug. 4 to receive my kindergarten certification.  I hate test!!!  Luckily, I don't have to take any course work.   I'm already certified in Elementary and Special Ed. 

Kat, love the Tuesday thing with husband.  What a refreshing way to begin the week.  Great bike ride! 

Rich, I think you're awesome! 

I just signed up for a 25k race that begins at midnight!  After the tri, I'm going to have to up my running miles to get ready.  YIKES!!

Take care everyone!

2007-06-07 11:39 AM

User image

Houston
Angela: thats 25k sounds real cool!!! And by the way I am making my trip around texas the next weekend. I have a swim meet in Plano on the 16th and then spending to days in Austin at a 3rd grade teacher retreat! Since school districts dont pay for hotels( like every other corportations) I am spending two night under the stars camping!! so excited!!
The Tri I signed up for is a sprint Tri in Pearland (houston Suburb)

I was suprised thoday when I signed on to see us near the bottom of the blog list. Thats not our style. HAHA
2007-06-07 12:53 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey Derek, the El Scorcho is July 15 in Fort Worth.  They also have a 50K if you're up for it!   I can't remember the website, but google it and check it out.  Two other BTer's are running it with me.

2007-06-07 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
LOL Derek!

Blame it(?) on me! Been in meetings and presentations all morning....catching up on office Lotus Notes.

OK..... let's sound off! What are your plans this weekend?

I, myself, have several things going!

Friday: Swim Workout 2500 meters
Saturday: Sprint Triathlon - Goal .... race at 100%...try to blow up or bonk.... testing my limits!
Sunday: 25 minute run; 2 hr bike ride; 25 minute run (a sort of duathlon).

Your turn!

Rich
2007-06-07 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
wow!!!! seriosu plan. he he

well i have to swim today for sure. im swimming today then running, tomorrow im Spinnin and then afternnon I think im gonna run again. Sunday is a BiKE run drill with the tri team, ill do swimming on my own. I want to do a long bike ride sunday.... well see.
my first sprint tri is in 2 weeks, so I better start feelin better about it all.

anyways gotta go back to work, talk to y'all later.
take care. send u all love
2007-06-07 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Good Luck Angela!
Hey Angela!

Good Luck on this weekend's triathlon! You will do fine!!!!! I have confidence! Wish I was there physically to support you. Remember to relax in the water... the whole point about the swim is to get you to the bike....style points don't count! :p Enjoy the bike ride and remember to let your body find your running legs!

Rich

2007-06-07 5:05 PM
in reply to: #834186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

I have a swim meet in Plano on the 16th and then spending to days in Austin at a 3rd grade teacher retreat! Since school districts dont pay for hotels( like every other corportations) I am spending two night under the stars camping!! so excited!!

Cool!  You'll be in my neck of the woods, then! I'm in Cedar Park, which is practically a suburb of Austin. Where's the campout/retreat going to be? Maybe we can hook up while you're in town....sneak in a cup of coffee or something while Rich isn't watching ;)

Edited by katzchen55 2007-06-07 5:06 PM
2007-06-07 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Plans for the weekend....hmmmm.  I'm on a lighter week, so I'll continue to work on my speed. I've had a good week this week with two PRs. I've been taking an extra rest day today (tight hamstrings, sore shoulders, sleepy from staying up too late last night), so I'll make up my bike time by extending my Saturday ride and including the MONSTER HILL on Limecreek.  Got a lot of meetings this weekend, so that wil be eating up my time, unfortunately. It's not very exciting, but there it is!
2007-06-07 7:10 PM
in reply to: #834893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Hey, Ang!  Good luck on the Danskin this weekend! I know you'll do great!  When do you get into town?  It would be pretty cool if you, Derek, and I could get together while you folks are in the neighborhood....let me know!
2007-06-07 7:15 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks for the last bit of advice.  My ride down tomorrow is about getting mentally prepared for the swim.  I can do this!  I've printed out my checklist and I'm ready! 

Rich, Balls to the Wall!  (should a woman say that to a man???)  Have a great tri on Saturday giving it your all!

Kat, my sister-in-law lives in Leander.  Isn't that close to you?

Caru, have a good workout weekend.  Your tri in 2 weeks will be here before you know it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46