BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-02-07 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1098772

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME
We are the Mimi-orites!!

2008-02-07 1:28 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

you guys are killin' me!!!  First of all, Scott, I may have had ya on the swim and transitions at IMFL, but I don't think races are won on those   You killed me on the bike and the run, if I remember correctly.  

2nd, if I can have a semi-decent run at disney 70.3, Hans may not destroy me too badly :0  For some reason I can't seem to get it right off the bike at that distance, but I'll have 2 tries this year.

3rd, I am certain I would eat fries...but not a large...and only once in a while.  Although, to help me refocus my eating, my husband and I are giving up processed food for Lent.  Do you know that almost everything is processed?!?!?!  I am having an apple right now, because I'm so freaking hungry and can't find anything non-processed.  Originally I had thought I wouldn't eat anything that did come directly from the earth, either as a plant or one that roams it...now I think we'll have to expand the list a bit, or I better get over to the grocery SOON!  I mean, turkey from the deli is processed in some way or another.   So, we'll have to figure out what exactly that means.

I am not a huge candy eater, though I do dig the chocolate.  I am one who enjoys the savory stuff.  I would eat a garlic bagel over a cupcake anyday...

But please, my nutrition is far from perfect!!!!! 

I would suggest you just decide if you want the candy more than you want to achieve your goals - whether they are race or weight loss specific.  Ask yourself that everytime you go to pop a candy heart or whatever it is in your mouth  "Do I really want this???"  If you answer "YES", then have it.  

I don't work in an office, but I am home from about 11-4 every day with the kids, so I have plenty of tempations (Um, how about the Lucky Charms I pounded a week or so ago), but now have set a goal of eating clean for 6 weeks.  It helps a LOT that I've got a spiritual component to it, but I also did this for 60 days prior to IMFL, which helped. 

And try baby steps.  Cut out cheese (YAY for Amy - aquinn) for a week, cut out sodas, just one thing at a time for a short time. 

That's all for now

2008-02-07 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

I must admit- I am still without cheese, heading into week 2, all but that bagel and cream cheese I had as a planned treat this am-- and that really didn't taste as good as I thought or digest as well as I thought.

Mimi- are you baking your own bread for this ? I would love to get into that habit!

2008-02-07 1:47 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Amy - we haven't decided on that, but probably not..just not enough time.  HOWEVER, I do bake bread frequently - just ask any neighbor or family   I use my food processor and the French Bread recipe from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Anything" I think it's called, but make the bulle shape.  It's sooo easy.  And sooo good. 

With the dull blade in the food processor, mix 3 or so cups flour, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp yeast for 30 seconds.  Add 1-1 1/4 cups warm water while it's whirling until it forms a ball, then let it "knead" 30 seconds once balled.  Take it out, give a few token kneads and then let it rise a few hours...take it out, shape it ,let it rise a bit more than bake it.  I start on 450 for 10 mintues on the stone that's good and hot, misting it every couple of minutes, then turn the oven to 350 until it's good and brown and hollow sounding when you tap it...it only takes about 20-25 mintues here, but it took usually closer to an hour when I lived in Ohio. 

You can use different flours, but we love this just the way it is, so I overlook the white flour- I use King Arthur bread flour and always BUTTER, cause what's warm homemade bread without butter. 

Oh, did you even ask for the recipe?    sorry, a little passionate about my bread making!!!

2008-02-07 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

OH MY GOD- THAT YELLOW BITTMAN BOOK IS my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Just made his banana bread yesterday (for my boss- I ate none)

Edited by aquinn 2008-02-07 1:49 PM
2008-02-07 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
I love bread as much as the next girl but I don't know where you find the time to BAKE it!  You rock...but we knew that already.

2008-02-07 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1199452

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Mimir98 - 2008-02-07 12:28 PM

you guys are killin' me!!! First of all, Scott, I may have had ya on the swim and transitions at IMFL, but I don't think races are won on those You killed me on the bike and the run, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, but it wasn't about me, it was about you and the props you deserve!  Besides, you got me where it counted most - money raised for your charity

As for running off the bike, it seems I spent all last year holding back on the bike to try to be able to run.  I don't know but keep thinking I held back too much.  Someday I want to go out and just hammer the bike and let the run fall where it may.  (Might try that at one of the duathlons)

May you have success with the anti-processed foods! It is a challenge but worth it. 

2008-02-08 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
lots to comment on..

There a pool of secretaries out there, one has snickers, one has M&Ms, one has candy hearts, mine has nothing (her daugher's wedding is soon, trying to lose weight), and so on. Its like a buffet!! And this morning, one brought in cake from Costco. Cream Cheese frosting and puddingish filling. Processed all to hell I'm sure!

Mimi's idea of what do I want more (candy or goals) doesn't work, because what I convince myself of is that I can have both. My diet ends up about 50% good non-processed foods (raw mostly, but otherwise stuff I make) with little cheese and bread/pasta and 50% total crap in the form of cookies and candy. I end up justifying the total calories, not the nutrition part. So even though I ate 2000 calories yesterday, 800 of it was junk food. Its no wonder I can't BQ again!

On to hard on the bike...I felt that way in short races alot last year. In my last tri of the season, a crazy formula 1 race in which you did the spring course twice (SBRSBR) I decided to hammer the bike. The girl I often trade spots with in our local races (both of us are top 10 but in the series the trading places evens out our points and we often tie) is an amazing biker and crappy runner. Generally I can catch her on the run, but it depends on the bike course too. So I hammered this bike, trying to stay in front of her (she's a stinky swimmer too). She passed me on both bike legs and I hung with her a bit, at 23mph, needless to say, the run was terrible.

I learned that I need to stay in my zone on the bike, because in the end I'm a runner and if my legs aren't toast I can take the non-runners.

HIM I just try to stay consistent on the bike, and easy for the first half the run, then hammer for the last 6 miles.
2008-02-08 12:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
DARN IT. In my greed to start playing with the Garmin, I had it sent to my office- and it's not here today. Which means it will be here tomorrow, and I could have had it sent HOME and run with it tomorrow. See? It doesnt pay to be impatient, as there's no way to get to the mail here over the weekend.
2008-02-08 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1201288

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

aquinn - 2008-02-08 11:00 AM DARN IT. In my greed to start playing with the Garmin, I had it sent to my office- and it's not here today. Which means it will be here tomorrow, and I could have had it sent HOME and run with it tomorrow. See? It doesnt pay to be impatient, as there's no way to get to the mail here over the weekend.

Bummer, get out and run and pretend you have it (or enjoy you last run where you are not a slave to technology, Heart Rate, pace, distance, elevation change)  Have fun with it.  (if only that sale would have come out a year earlier.

2008-02-08 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

You're right! I hope it's a sunny morning- cause I'm ready for a nice run. I hate running indoors all week....

2008-02-09 5:15 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
hello my friends   I haven't forgot about you, just coming off a jam packed week!  I am looking forward to having a quieter weekend with hopefully some downtime aka BT time   I will be checking blogs this afternoon, so get out and train!!! 
2008-02-09 5:22 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
oh, and can we call planning the 5th discipline in tri??  I'm a little irritated with myself right now as I am out of GU, I had 2 scoops of Infinit left this am and my husband had some regular gatorade in the car (blech) and I forgot to charge my garmin AGAIN, though this time it's not totally dead, just partially.  I will also tell you I have NO FOOD in the house.  I mean, I have some boxes of cereal for the children, but no regular milk (have the vanilla soy for my lattes).  I have some morningstar farm chix patties for the children, but I can't eat those.  Anyway, I am going to meal plan for the week and hit the good grocery with the nice selection of orgaincs and stock up.
2008-02-09 6:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
bump to save us from the perils of Page 2.......

I should have been at the pool by now but I got all caught up in worrying about how the heck we're going to pay for college, cruising the web looking for hope........it's such a PERFECT fit in every way for my son.....but I'm worried the school is going to fill the huge chasm between our EFC and the total Cost of Attendance with loans.......huge loans.......big, bouncy loans......with two MORE kids to get thru college down the road, how could we get by having to absorb boatloads of loans? And I don't want the oldest to be saddled with tens of thousands in loans.....but I seriously doubt the chasm can be filled mainly with grant money.......worries upon worries.......worrying is a huge motivation-killer!! Knowing I'll be bubbling away under water for an hour with all these worries fermenting in my mind........I need to go to my Happy Place (-:
2008-02-09 9:43 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
What a great day to be out!  Sunny, only patches of ice, warm enough for long sleeve T on the run and in shorts.  Now to keep tuning the engine!
2008-02-09 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

In case you haven't figured it out when I don't have time to inspire you individually I try to at least make an appearance here.

I did a tough ride today but did it smart.  I'm gradually bringing my mind around to the IM way of training.  I love to hammer my bike and for Olys I can do that but to ride 112 and then do a mary I'm going to need to master pace and patience so I focused on making every hill easy with smart gearing and no mashing.  It's hard to hold back but I kept telling myself I still had to run.

As much as I tried to take it easy I'm totally whipped tonight.  I was going to do all my chores so I could relax tomorrow but just couldn't do it all.

I did stop by the running store and had them look at my shoes and walk again.  They switched me to a different series.  I'm hoping they make a huge difference in my run pain.  Hopefully tomorrow will have good results on my run.

Have a great weekend.

2008-02-10 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Good morning, all. Day off for me and it has come at a perfect time for this tired girl. Even plans to ski early have been scrapped. (will go out to the mountain later for a few runs).  Color me wiped out. But happy to be wiped out.

Out of curiousity, what day do you all use for your day off? Last week I tried Monday, but this week, I'm using Sunday. Probably makes the most sense to use Sunday as a day for something long as this training gets going, but just curious to see what you guys say... 

2008-02-10 10:30 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

At times in the past, when building base, I have needed a break after 5 days so some weeks I had 2 rest days and it just kind of floated.  I know that goes against some plans that have a more regimented structure and training the body to do something but it worked for me. 

I have done the Monday rest day thing frequently as Sunday's were usually a good day for a ride - especially if I could combine it with the way home from church (less interruption to the family)

This year I have Sundays scheduled for now, but it is up in the air depending on weather and what happened the week before and what family plans we can come up with.

Last year, I was working with a plan that had Thursdays as the rest day during the build period. 

2008-02-10 1:06 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

WE are having some gorgeous weather now too!  I am finally getting ready to go to the pool for a swim, then I have a longer run to do...I couldn't get out of bed this morning to save my life

I usually only have about 1 rest day a month per coach, but not all days are tough.  It seems to usually fall on a monday.  Tomorrow just happens to be one of those days   The importance of rest is a hard lesson to learn...and letting yourself take an unscheduled rest day because you feel you need it is also tough, but look at the big picture.

BTW, I checked with my coach about my ride yesterday, where I was out of zone 2 for 1/3 hours ( I had a great ride, felt good, but was zone 3 for 40 min and zone 4 for 20 min).... he said, and I quote, "It is ok every once in awhile, but aerobic Z2 training is where the money is at! Especially while not drafting."  I know this but thought I'd just run it by him to see if maybe I was the exception   apparently I'm not that special. 

Ok, enough time wasted...must.go.swim.

2008-02-10 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Bob-sorry to hear about the angst, keep looking at grants, many are small but can add up. Look at the subjects he's intereseted in studying too.

Day off-I like sunday best, because a day off of working out but still going to work doesn't feel like much of a day of, its not like I can get a ton done those days. Once IM training kicks in though it will change, probably friday, but if I can make it work I'll stick with sunday.

Just to make everyone feel sorry for me, its 2 here, with a windchill of -18.
2008-02-10 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww--- that's the sound I was making on my "rest day" as my quads buuuurrrrrrrnnnnnnnnned negotiating the mounds of snow falling on our mountain today. We eastern skiers are used to ICE, not piles of powder. My quads were screaming! An extra leg work out this week!  (and a gimme for an early bedtime......I'm zonked!)

2008-02-10 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1203971

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

I'll admit, I struggle in powder over about 8-10 inches, but put a foot on the bumps and it is oh so beautiful!  (oh and I detest ice - I have never skied outside of CO)

Edited by jcjsc00 2008-02-10 8:02 PM
2008-02-11 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
HOORAY! HOORAY! THE GARMIN COMES TODAY! Jill just went to pick up the office mail- and it's gonna be there (got the USPS confirmation already )
2008-02-11 9:51 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Hooray for new toys!!

Last week,
I tried to make up some of the time I missed "sick" time from the week before.

Plan Actual difference

Total Total
Swimming 0 0 0
Cycling 150 30 120
Running 143 28 115
Strength 60 10 50

353 68 285

Swimming 0 0 0
Cycling 150 183 33
Running 125 177 52
Strength 60 40 20

335 400 65

As for the week ahead my plan calls for although I am seriously considering revamping my run plan for the next 6 weeks.

Swimming 0
Cycling 180
Running 167
Strength 60

2008-02-11 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Okay , tri people....what would you do if your pool was CLOSED ALL WEEK as mine now is? Concentrate on upper body strength and do more bikes? More runs? HELP ME - I AM PANICKING!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36