BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-02-22 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks!
I wanted to comment on the LSD article. (Thank you Ridge for educating me..it was great!)

I'm completely with you Scott on the mental conditioning I've had as an athlete. Although I've never liked the phrase "Give 110%", it's been hammered into me since I was a kid.

2 thoughts; One is I was always involved in sports with the quick twitch muscles -Football, Hockey and Baseball. "Give 110%" may or may not have been good advice for those more explosive sports, but it's clear it isn't for endurance sports.

Second - most of my coaches were involved parents many of whom have taught me some fantastic life lessons and helped me be the person I am today. However, few if any of them had the scientific expertise that we are all benefiting from today regarding endurance training.

So the challenge falls to me to break the mental cycle that's been engrained in me for so many years and that had made me successful in those previous sports. The term I have found that I like is "Less is more".

I'm not trying to pretend that this in any way applies to anyone here other than myself, but I thought I'd share my perspective in hopes that someone benefits from it

Jesse

2008-02-22 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1227939

User image

Regular
Ridgelake - 2008-02-22 7:36 AM

So how is everyone's week going?

Not bad here. I'm still gimping around a bit with a stiff back, but it is progress to say that it is stiff, not sore. I got in a couple of good runs, a swim and today did an hour long spin class that was great. Next month I hope to start increasing the distance of both the runs and swims and who knows, maybe even get in an outdoor ride if the Colorado weather cooperates.

The stretching and shoe insert that were given to me last week really seem to be helping!!
2008-02-22 11:23 AM

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Ridgelake - 2008-02-22 8:36 AM

Mines going well, except that I'm letting other things get in the way of my training, and I made a solemn oath to myself that I wouldn't let that happen(and it's only the second week). I'm also realizing that I need to reduce my caloric intake to start losing the weight I want to. I'm not bummed, but instead am making a comittement to make the changes required.
2008-02-22 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Jesse, I totally understand the "give 110%" aspect of things.  Its how we were all conditioned growing up.  And I can tell you from experience that its one of THE hardest lessons that I've had to learn.

But what has helped me is this.  Its OPTIMAL to do most training at easier paces and intensities.  Improvement is GREATEST doing it that way.  The science backs it.  And the real world results back it.

2008-02-22 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1228585

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

thinair - 2008-02-22 12:23 PM I'm also realizing that I need to reduce my caloric intake to start losing the weight I want to. I'm not bummed, but instead am making a comittement to make the changes required.

FWIW, It was my experience that the foods that I ate had a bigger impact on my weightloss than the raw volume of food.  No one likes to be hungry.  Its miserable.  So I eat when I get hungry.  Even if thats every couple of hours or so. 

But when I eat all or almost all quality foods.  Fruits, nuts, whole grains, lean meats, vegetables, etc., I lost weight.  When I ate more processed foods, thats when the pounds went back on.

Granted, thats a sample size of 1.  But it was my experience.

2008-02-22 3:37 PM

User image

Having a great week. Enjoying a day off!! If I have taken one thing from this forum it will have to be the pace thing. My big goal was to go faster...couldn't believe how slow I was....why can't I go faster and farther????? Then the wise Rob told me about the Jack Daniels book and I begrudgingly tried it and now it is what I preach to all my friends who are starting this crazy sport with me. They too are the disbelievers until they are carnage on the side of the road with injury and are burnt out and exhausted. And here I am, thanks to Mr. Ridgelake, plodding along passing my co-athletes (albiet slowly) running the first 6.5 miles-IN-A-ROW-WITHOUT STOPPING that I have ever run in my life. I plan on going for 7 slow miles tomorrow. Here's to all the slow runners of the world!! I salute you !!!! Have a good week end, ya'all

ps Jo, that is the funniest book I have read in a really long time. We sit at work and have about read the whole thing out loud...Histerical!!

Edited by teresa 2008-02-22 3:44 PM

2008-02-22 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Ridgelake - 2008-02-22 6:36 AM

It is going weird. I started out really sore and feeling like I wasn't doing enough to resting up and feeling like I can do a ton more just at a different pace. Today I went for my first workout using the idea of an easier pace. The last time I went for this ride I averaged just below 14 MPH and went 15.6 miles. At the end of the ride I was beat. My legs were shaking but it felt like a great workout since I had given it my all. Today I went back to the same route. I tried the easier pace and it worked great...kindof. I went 20.3 miles instead because I felt great and was just doing a slow pace putting in miles. After the ride I checked my time against what I had ridden before. Well this time I biked an average of 14.5 MPH had an easy ride and never broke a sweat. I am not sore and feel like I rode smarter. I didn't concentrate on working hard, I concentrated on riding smarter. I planned ahead on shifting for hills, hitting corners with correct approach and exit etc etc. All that to say it was a much better ride with much better results with a lot less effort. I never broke a sweat. So thanks so much for the advice. It worked wonders. It just wasn't the pace I was expecting given the huge difference in effort.
Scott
2008-02-22 6:47 PM
in reply to: #1228498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
BunnyT - 2008-02-22 8:55 AM

I wanted to comment on the LSD article. (Thank you Ridge for educating me..it was great!)

I'm completely with you Scott on the mental conditioning I've had as an athlete. Although I've never liked the phrase "Give 110%", it's been hammered into me since I was a kid.

So the challenge falls to me to break the mental cycle that's been engrained in me for so many years and that had made me successful in those previous sports. The term I have found that I like is "Less is more".

I'm not trying to pretend that this in any way applies to anyone here other than myself, but I thought I'd share my perspective in hopes that someone benefits from it

Jesse

Hey Jesse,
You are definately not alone in this. I tried the different pace out today and it works great. I think the real challenge is going to be at the start line trying not to just explode and go back to old habits. Amazing how quickly I forget when there are people to pass. I guess I am a little competitive.
Scott
2008-02-22 10:52 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Ridgelake - 2008-02-22 6:36 AM

It's been a stressful week for me. I've been at the hospital much of the week with a sick friend. My throat is starting to get sore again - usually a result of stress and not enough sleep.

I did manage to get in 2 runs, and I met teresa (you know, our teresa from this group - she's a blast!). Teresa and I exchanged books: She gave me the Jack Daniels Running Book, and I gave her "The non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women" which is more comedy than running. So if any of you running women need a laugh, I'd recommend it.

I did have a good run on Thursday. Instead of timing my mile and trying to go faster, I told myself to go slow, work on cadence, and just go for 30 minutes of running/walking. Well, with that mindset, I actually ran faster and longer than usual, including walk breaks, and it didn't seem as hard. So, I'm on my way to becoming a convert to Ridge's methods.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Jo
2008-02-23 7:20 AM
in reply to: #1228812

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Ridgelake - 2008-02-22 12:37 PM

Jesse, I totally understand the "give 110%" aspect of things.  Its how we were all conditioned growing up.  And I can tell you from experience that its one of THE hardest lessons that I've had to learn.

But what has helped me is this.  Its OPTIMAL to do most training at easier paces and intensities.  Improvement is GREATEST doing it that way.  The science backs it.  And the real world results back it.

I'm with you Ridge. I'm looking forward to the mental challenge this will present me during my path to tri. I'm really gratelful you shared this with us.
2008-02-23 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Thats awesome you guys are getting together in real life.  Its a lot of fun having both real and online friends.  Actually today, I'm getting together with 3 other BTers to do a 10K race.  There are several other BTers in the area, and its great getting together with them as well.

On the pacing stuff, I would not have believed it a couple of years ago either.  But give it a couple of months.  You'd be surprised.  Good to see several of you have had positive results in just a short period of time  

2008-02-23 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
I'm not happy with my week. A couple of our VPs came into town and my work week was shot. This threw my balance off a bit and as a result I missed a workout. It' s not a disaster by any means (my "official" training plan doesn't kick off until tomorrow) but I'm disappointed.

This coming week, I'm really looking forward to getting in the groove.
2008-02-23 8:44 AM

Regular
My week was good. I have enjoyed reading all the posts about working at a slower pace. It reinforced what I learned (the hard way) last year. It also made me feel better about my turtle training pace. I'm not really slow....I'm just training!

As much as I whine about running, I am finding it very convenient. It is not that difficult to find the time to run for 20-40 minutes. You don't need much equipment, and I don't have to leave my neighborhood. I have a good friend and neighbor who is losing her battle with cancer. I find that after staying with her, I feel better if I can run or ride. For some reason, it helps me keep perspective and gives me an outlet for my emotions.

I am only a month away from my biking training season. I feel like I am in better shape than I was at the same time last year, and last year was a very good year for me.
Cole
2008-02-23 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Wooo Hoo!  In my 10K this morning, I set a new PR run pace at 8:23 min/mile.  I ran the last 5K in that race at a 8:13 pace, almost 20 seconds per mile faster than any race I've ever done.   

Fun!

2008-02-23 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Nice run Ridge!!! Way to go.
2008-02-23 11:14 PM
in reply to: #1231277

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Great job on the run, Ridge! You're proof that slow makes fast.
Or as Cole put it: "I'm not really slow, I'm just training."
That's my new motto, along with "Slow is the new Fast."

2008-02-24 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I have a question about gear. Does everyone have personal favorites? I see a lot of brands and types and I have a pair of shorts I really like but I still have some stuff to get and was wondering what others had, recommended or liked a lot. I just bought the oomph vigor shorts and I love them. They fit the best and are the most comfortable I have found. Any one else have any thoughts? I think the next purchase needs to be a wetsuit and I don't even know where to begin there.
2008-02-24 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Nice job Ridge! You're an inspiration for us all
2008-02-24 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1231838

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Holt, a good place to start might be the Gear Reviews and Questions Forum here on BT.  Also, the subforum under it titled 2007 Gear Poll, or something close to that, will have ideas on peoples' favorites in a whole variety of things.  Take a look there and see if that helps some.
2008-02-24 5:06 PM

Regular
To those of you trying to lose a few pounds....My husband has found a lot of useful information on www.sparkpeople.com The most helpful thing was that it asks questions and lets you know the calorie range you should be eating based on your body and your exercise. Just like we want to train slowly to get faster, you need to make sure you aren't eating too little. If you don't eat enough, your metabolism slows down and weight loss does too. Keep up your hard work!
2008-02-24 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Hey everyone, stop by and wish Scott/Smeador a congratulations for doing the half marathon yesterday!

2008-02-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1231277

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Ridgelake - 2008-02-23 6:40 PM

Wooo Hoo!  In my 10K this morning, I set a new PR run pace at 8:23 min/mile.  I ran the last 5K in that race at a 8:13 pace, almost 20 seconds per mile faster than any race I've ever done.   

Fun!

Congrats on your 10k Rob.

I've seen a lot of posts about the pacing and just thought I would add my 2 cents that it's really working for me too, plus it make the prospect of working out a much more painless idea when I'm not in the mood.
2008-02-26 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Regarding Illness...

How do you approach your training when you have an illness? I recognize this might be a difficult question to answer based on the type and severity of illness, but I've been dealing with what I'd classify as a really bad cold the last few days.

Very runny nose, elevated fever and fatigue.

I fought through a couple of workouts, but felt so unproductive because I had no energy!

For those of you who've got some experience here, do you typically scale back your workouts, fight through them, call them off, or something other?

Thanks,
Jesse
2008-02-26 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
WTG Scott! Another challenge overcome - good for you!
2008-02-26 9:02 AM

Congrats, Rob. I cannot wait for race season to start here, am anxious to have a 'real' race to guage my level.

I have been doing the HR training with my running, and it is making a big difference. I am able to easily do a 40 min run now which is something I have never been able to do. I have done extended runs, but they were always very difficult. I have been working on increasing my pace on the shorter training days as well, and am starting to get a decent pace going for a 5K period of time. I actually was looking forward to my run yesterday...

It broke the freezing mark here today, and it is a bright and sunny day, so I may even be able to run outside soon.

I almost forgot Scott. Half-Marathon... nice!

Edited by brideout 2008-02-26 11:51 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19