BT Development Mentor Program Archives » apw0397's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-02-28 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1102477

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
Subject: RE: apw0397's group - CLOSED
Well done...I'm not sure if my girlfriend and I could have survived, very impresive.

(in her defense, I would probably be the problem child)

2008-02-28 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1241540

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

charleston - 2008-02-28 12:28 PM Well done...I'm not sure if my girlfriend and I could have survived, very impresive. (in her defense, I would probably be the problem child)

One foot in front of the other, that's the key.

2008-02-29 9:32 AM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
Extemely important question for everyone!

I am beginning to create a playlist to run to and I need some ideas.

So...What are some songs that you usually listen to when running?
2008-02-29 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1243474

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

charleston - 2008-02-29 9:32 AM Extemely important question for everyone! I am beginning to create a playlist to run to and I need some ideas. So...What are some songs that you usually listen to when running?

I only use mine when running on the dreadmill. But here's one of songs from high school that I love to listen to. Good if you loved alternative back in the early 90s.

Alice in Chains - Man in the Box, No Excuses

Beck - Loser

Blind Melon - No Rain

Bush - Glycerine

Candlebox - Far Behind

Nine Inch Nails - Wish, Closer

Offspring - Come out and play, Self esteem

Pearl Jam - Jeremy, Alive

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

Smashing Pumpkins - Crash With Butterfly Wings, Disarm

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun, Spoon Man

Sponge - Plowed

Stone Temple Pilots - Creep, Interstate Love Song, Plush

Toad the Wet Sprocket - Fall Down

Weezer - Undone, Buddy Holly

2008-02-29 12:17 PM

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Don't forget Beastie Boys, eminem, Jimi Hendrix ("... stand up next to a mountain...I chop it down with the edge of my hand"), Twisted Sister...and some others I can't think of right now...
2008-02-29 12:18 PM

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Well, I fell. At least it was in my living room and in front of my daughter. Looks like I'm not nearly ready to get outside on my bike with my new pedals. I'd end up as road kill faster than a possum attracts fleas.

2008-03-03 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1244051

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

sunmonkey72 - 2008-02-29 12:18 PM Well, I fell. At least it was in my living room and in front of my daughter. Looks like I'm not nearly ready to get outside on my bike with my new pedals. I'd end up as road kill faster than a possum attracts fleas.

Everyone falls. At least you got it over with inside. Hopefully you had a soft fall. Keep practicing and get outside as soon as you can. The sooner it becomes second nature, the faster you'll get.

2008-03-03 7:58 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Howdy folks. Hope you all had a great weekend. I had a great 3 hour ride on Saturday, but then on Sunday an old "friend" showed up on my run. I've had achilles issues on and off since Fall 06. I hadn't been having any issues in 3 or 4 months, and then suddenly it started hurting again.

Listen to your body. If it's telling you it's injured, don't try to train through it. I'm not doing any running until my race on Saturday. A week off from running isn't going to hurt me any.

So, now that my mind is in racing mode this week, what questions do you have about racing? Strategy, setup, nutrition, etc? I'm here as a resource for you.

2008-03-04 8:47 AM

New user

hey all.

I'm entering the last 8 weeks or so before my first Tri and I've been having a strange thing happen during my runs - which I'm trying to heavy up on. The first run of the week is absolutely hell. I mean HR through the roof after just 1.2 mi or so. A run two or three days later is generally GREAT. Maybe I've been training too anaerobic on certain runs? It's almost like I've regressed in the run dept. while improving during swim and bike...At first I was thinking fatigue, so I was backing off my swim/week volume but now I'm not so sure.

granted my Tri is a rather short sprint - 250m, 14.4mi, 5k - but still, I'm getting annoyed!

thanks!
2008-03-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1250909

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

jjsbu22 - 2008-03-04 8:47 AM hey all. I'm entering the last 8 weeks or so before my first Tri and I've been having a strange thing happen during my runs - which I'm trying to heavy up on. The first run of the week is absolutely hell. I mean HR through the roof after just 1.2 mi or so. A run two or three days later is generally GREAT. Maybe I've been training too anaerobic on certain runs? It's almost like I've regressed in the run dept. while improving during swim and bike...At first I was thinking fatigue, so I was backing off my swim/week volume but now I'm not so sure. granted my Tri is a rather short sprint - 250m, 14.4mi, 5k - but still, I'm getting annoyed! thanks![/QUOTE

Unless you are doing a lot of kicking, I wouldn't think your swim volume would affect your running. I would try adding another short run per week and taking a little distance off the run that is giving you trouble. If you are training in the right zones you should be seeing slow, but steady improvement. Adding another run without adding too much weekly distance will build durability and stamina. Try that for a few weeks and see what happens.

2008-03-05 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1250909

Veteran
Orange County, CA
jjsbu22 - 2008-03-04 8:47 AM

hey all.

I'm entering the last 8 weeks or so before my first Tri and I've been having a strange thing happen during my runs - which I'm trying to heavy up on. The first run of the week is absolutely hell. I mean HR through the roof after just 1.2 mi or so. A run two or three days later is generally GREAT. Maybe I've been training too anaerobic on certain runs? It's almost like I've regressed in the run dept. while improving during swim and bike...At first I was thinking fatigue, so I was backing off my swim/week volume but now I'm not so sure.

granted my Tri is a rather short sprint - 250m, 14.4mi, 5k - but still, I'm getting annoyed!

thanks!
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are training too anaerobic during your runs. Are your runs structured speed workouts? Do specifically train anaerobically during your runs? Are you giving yourself sufficient rest and recovery after a hard run? I'd say you might want to give yourself a week or two off of speed workouts. You don't need to skip your runs, just take it a bit easy. Sounds to me like you aren't gving your body time to recover.

2008-03-05 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1248428

Veteran
Orange County, CA
apw0397 - 2008-03-03 7:58 AM

So, now that my mind is in racing mode this week, what questions do you have about racing? Strategy, setup, nutrition, etc? I'm here as a resource for you.

I don't recall if I mentioned this when I first signed up, but I failed to take in sufficient nutrition my first triathlon. I was so distracted with getting my gear on/off, and getting my bike going, that I totally forgot to take anything in during on the bike. I just didn't have nearly enough gas in the tank during my run.

During a running race, I know that a gel about every hour is perfect for me. For a triathlon, I don't have a formula. I know exactly what to eat before a long run, what to take in during, and what to eat for recovery. Also, I get so much training during along run, which simulates a race. Training for a triathlon is much different. I practice each discipline seperately, and not all at once. I am going to try to incorporate a brick workout into my week starting this Friday. I know that will help me. Last year's tri I only did one brick workout and it stuck.

Also, I didn't have a strategy...at all. And I'm actually fine with my first race. I regarded it as a learning experience and wasn't really concerned with my time. I just wanted to finish. But this second time around I have a goal for each leg, and I want a much smaller learning curve.

So I know all about running a race. I've been a runner for what feels like a decade. And even so I have a lot to learn. The learning curve for triathlons is exponential. Training for a triathlon is so different. I have already learned so much since the beginning of this year.

Also, my schedule is so crazy these days. I've been depending on getting most of my workouts in while my dd is in school, but I am going back to early morning workouts very soon. Which stinks. I don't so much mind getting up early, but that means I'll have to get to bed early again, which cuts into spending time with my husband at night. That 9:30 bedtime really cuts into the time I can spend with my husband. It's been nice having the evenings with him. Okay, so that's more of a vent than anything.

Also, I had 3 bike workouts scheduled per week in the beginning, but I'm thinking that might not be necessary. I thinking the 2/2/2 would work fine for me.
2008-03-05 1:54 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Also, my schedule is so crazy these days. I've been depending on getting most of my workouts in while my dd is in school, but I am going back to early morning workouts very soon. Which stinks. I don't so much mind getting up early, but that means I'll have to get to bed early again, which cuts into spending time with my husband at night. That 9:30 bedtime really cuts into the time I can spend with my husband. It's been nice having the evenings with him. Okay, so that's more of a vent than anything.

Also, I had 3 bike workouts scheduled per week in the beginning, but I'm thinking that might not be necessary. I thinking the 2/2/2 would work fine for me.

Early morning workouts are a great way to get the day started. That's the good part. The bad part is that you really have to make sure you get enough sleep. Otherwise you aren't going to do yourself any good.

2/2/2 is a good strategy for shorter distances. As you get into longer distances, you have to add extra workouts. Not really much way around that. However, they don't have to be super long workouts, just extra time, like maybe a 3-5 mile run, 1 hr ride, or a 45 minute swim.

2008-03-05 3:03 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Here's my sprint race strategy in a nutshell.

If possible, I like to wake up 3 hours before the race. I take a quick shower to wake up and get the blood flowing. For breakfast I eat an Oatmeal Raisin Walnut Clif Bar and sip on a bottle of water up until the time transition closes. I'll go ahead and put on my HR strap, tri shorts and tri top. The rest depends on the weather. For example, it's probably going to be in the 40s on Saturday, so I'll wear a jacket and windpants plus socks and shoes. Summertime I'll just pop on a superhero t-shirt per traidition, wind shorts, and flip flops.

I like to get to transition right when it opens. I don't like to be rushed. If it's open racking, I try to find a spot on the outside of the rack that I can get out as fast as possible. When I rack my bike pre-ride, I hang by the front of the seat with the front wheel pointed in the direction I'm going to be leaving. I make sure that my computer is reset, my gears are in the right spot (typically 1st gear in the big ring), and my pedals are in the right position (I like to have the right one up so I can clip into it first - personal preference). I haven't mastered the art of clipping in my shoes and jumping onto a moving bike yet. Maybe one day I will. Anyway, I put a single bottle of water on my bike. Find a landmark or count the number of racks you are from the swim exit. You don't want to be running from rack to rack trying to find your bike. Then get an idea of which direction you'll be going. Which way are you coming from the pool? Which way do you take your bike to the mount line? Where do you come in? Where do you leave for the run? Run through it mentally a few times. Heck, I've even walked it before.

After hanging my bike, I turn on my Garmin and set it to Bike mode. I also make sure I turn off any heart rate alarms. Then I hang my helmet on my aerobars. Inside my helmet I put my Garmin, sunglasses, and probably this weekend I'll put some gloves. On my aerobars I'll also hang my race belt. If you don't have one, I highly suggest one. It's only about 7 bucks. It has a place to put your race number so you don't have to fool with putting pinholes in your shirt, and you can get pouches for it to carry your nutrition. In my race belt I have one gel. I like Strawberry PowerGel, but everyone is different.

On the ground under my front tire I'll put my towel, bike shoes, running shoes, and socks. I put my socks on and then pull them down inside out to my ankles. That helps me get into them a little faster theoretically. Next I Bodyglide my feet. Lots of Bodyglide. Blisters are not my friend. If there are any othe clothes I'm going to need - like a jacket for this weekend, I'll hang them on my seat. If you have clothes that aren't loose fitting that you plan on putting on after you swim, it's a good idea to turn them inside out and Body glide them. That will help them go on easier.

After that, I head over to the chip table. They have straps that come with them, but I have a neoprene one that is more comfortable. Once I get my chip, I double check everything. Then I drop whatever clothes I'm wearing that I'm not swimming in and head inside.

If possible, I like to get a 10 minute warmup in the pool. For sprints, it seems silly to warm up longer than I'm actually going to race, but I want to make sure I'm warmed up before I jump in and go all out. Also, if you are going to be swimming pretty late in the order, you still want to do a warmup just to get an idea of how the water temp is, etc.

This usually leaves about 20-30 minutes or so to walk around, chit chat, help out anyone that needs help, etc. before the prerace meeting and the start. I take a gel about 15 minutes before I figure I will get in the water.

For a pool swim, I usually will put down a swim time that is faster than I think I will swim. The strategy is to hope that whomever is behind me can actually go that fast, and they will pass me. Then I try to hop on their feet and draft. However, don't plan on that to happen. I will sprint the first 50 and try to catch the person in front of me. If they have a good pace going, I'll draft off of them. Otherwise I'll pass them.

Once out of the pool, it's a dead sprint to my bike. First on is my Garmin, then sunglasses, and helmet. Then I do a quick dry off of my legs and feet before putting my shoes on. I ride sockless, which saves a bunch of time. Trying to get on socks when your feet are wet is tough. If I have a jacket to put on, that goes on. Then I put on my race belt with the number to the back. Don't want it flapping around when I ride.

Regardless of order, before you unrack your bike, make sure you have your helmet on. Some race directors, including the one doing this weekend's race, will penalize you if you don't have your helmet on when you are just running your bike to the mount line.

Now I'm at the mount line. I start my Garmin, slide on, and clip in my right pedal. Then I'm gone. No sense getting into too big of a hurry here. You don't want to crash with everyone watching.

The first few miles of the ride, don't get over-excited. Spin around 95-100 RPMs and get your legs. This can take a while. Then it's time to drop the hammer. I still try to stay around 80-100 RPMs, but that's not an issue. I spot the first rider ahead of me and charge at them. When I get about 5 feet away, I whip out on the left and pass them. This is considered "legal" drafting. Don't stay on their wheel very long, though, or you will get penalized. 3/4 of the way through the ride, mile 9 of 12 for example, I'll take my other gel with some water. Then it's a dead sprint back to transition. The last half mile or so I'll back off a gear or two and up my cadence to get my legs ready to run.

The faster folks will be out of their shoes, riding on top of them as they head into transition. I'm not there yet. So I unmount and clippity clop back to my rack. This time I rack my bike by the brake levers. This is a bit faster.

Helmet off, shoes off, socks on, shoes on, reverse belt so the number is to the front. Change Garmin to Run mode and start it when I cross the mat.

The first mile is around 80% effort. My trick is to pass double digits on the run. So I start counting as soon as I get out. Most of the time I can do it. It's a good motivator. Mile 2 I usually hit a mini-wall. It's a harder effort, probably 85-90%, and it's mentally draining. The last mile is all out. Drop the hammer and give it all you have left. Think of something that makes you angry, a song that gets you moving, or whatever gets you to the finish. This is what you worked for. Go for it. Finish.

So, now that I've basically written a novel...questions?

Edited by apw0397 2008-03-05 3:05 PM
2008-03-05 3:58 PM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
You really have just gotten me more excited about my first tri. I seem to be counting down how many weeks I have left every other day.

Although I am conflicted at the same time, I want it here tomorrow to just do it, and I want it further down the line so I can get into better shape (I keep looking at last years results and trying to fit in where I will place).

Oh, but here is question. I noticed you have a gel during a sprint, do you think just filling up a water bottle with gatorade will be enough calories since it is a fairly short race? I have never taken in calories during a workout, I have no idea how to really judge when I need them, never really feel hungry during the activity. And we never did anything like this when I swam, hard to fit food into those little suits.

Edited by charleston 2008-03-05 3:59 PM
2008-03-05 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1254671

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

charleston - 2008-03-05 3:58 PM You really have just gotten me more excited about my first tri. I seem to be counting down how many weeks I have left every other day. Although I am conflicted at the same time, I want it here tomorrow to just do it, and I want it further down the line so I can get into better shape (I keep looking at last years results and trying to fit in where I will place). Oh, but here is question. I noticed you have a gel during a sprint, do you think just filling up a water bottle with gatorade will be enough calories since it is a fairly short race? I have never taken in calories during a workout, I have no idea how to really judge when I need them, never really feel hungry during the activity. And we never did anything like this when I swam, hard to fit food into those little suits.

Nothing wrong with Gatorade in a sprint. If you have a 20oz bottle of it, that's 125 calories. A Powergell is 110. So that's similar.

I just happen to hate Gatorade with the burning heat of a thousand white suns. It's too sweet and sticky for me. The big advantage to gels is that you get it all at once rather than a little bit at a time.

You shouldn't need much nutrition during workouts less than an hour. Once you get over an hour, you will need some calories. It's not about hunger, it's about keeping your energy levels topped off. On a run longer than an hour, I do a gel (110 calories) every 30 minutes. I take in a few more calories per hour on the bike, around 250, on rides 90 minutes or longer.

Practice this during training and it becomes 2nd nature.

2008-03-07 7:43 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

24 hours to go now. Going to be frakking cold getting out of the pool. 32 degrees is forecast for 8am tomorrow. Ouch.

Y'all have a great weekend.

2008-03-07 8:29 AM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
Wait, 32 degrees, where? outside, how does that happen, I have never heard of such a thing

Can you wear a wetsuit during your bike and run?

Good luck, and remember, the faster you move, the faster the hot chocolate reaches your mouth
2008-03-10 12:37 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Well, it was freaking cold but lots of fun. Considering I lost a shoe on the way to the race and had to buy a pair from Wal Mart, I think I did ok. Race report here.

How was everyone else weekend?

2008-03-11 10:29 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
  • Feb 23 - apw0397 - Cowtown Marathon
  • March 8 - apw0397 - Athens YMCA Sprint Triathlon - 300m swim, 13.2 mile bike, 5k run
  • March 29 - TriPainter - MAP Triathlon - 500m swim, 12.4 mile bike, 5k run
  • March 30 - sonnyk - Ocean Drive Marathon
  • April 4- charleston- Cooper River Bridge Run 10k
  • April 5 - TriPainter - Charlotte's Finest Duathlon - 5k run, 15 mile bike, 5k run
  • April 6 - ryannmo - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, Wahington DC
  • April 12 - TriPainter - Charlotte Racefest 1/2 Marathon
  • April 12- crozetiga - Jay Dix Challenge to Cure- 10k
  • April 13 - apw0397 - Playtri Half Ironman - 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run
  • April 19 - crozetiga - Shakespeare's Maxtrax Duathlon- 2.5 run, 15 mile bike, 2.5 mile run
  • April 20 - sunmonkey72 - Desert Sprint triathlon (500 meter swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run)
  • April 20-charleston- East Cooper Tri .6mile swim, 16mile bike, 4mile run
  • April 26 - sunmonkey72 - Ja Jolla Half Marathon
  • May 4 - TriPainter - White Lake Sprint Triathlon - 750 meters, 14 mile bike, 5k run
  • May 4 - crozetiga- Merrill Lynch Race for Sight Triathlon- 440 yard swim. 14 mile bike, 3 mile run
  • May 4 -ryannmo - Frederick 1/2 Marathon
  • May 18 -ryannmo - Columbia Olympic Triathlon
  • May 26 - sunmonkey72 - Saddleback Half Marathon
  • May 31 - charleston- Low Country Splash -2.4 mile open water swim
  • June 1 - sunmonkey72 - San Diego Rock "n Roll Marathon

Next up for the group is the MAP triathlon on the 29th.

2008-03-11 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1265119

User image

I've decided to skip my Ocean Drive Marathon on 3/30. Snowboarding interfered with the training

I am registered for the NYC Marathon in November though. I'll see if I can get a sprint in as a replacement for the missed Marathon...

So I won this tri bike (Kuota K-factor) from a sweepstakes and it got delivered to RA Cycles in Brooklyn. They've had it for over 2 weeks already but they kept telling me they are too busy to assemble the bike. Is that normal?? Should I just pick it up and bring it to my LBS and pay for assembly myself?

2008-03-12 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1265519

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Depends on how badly you want it. Since there's no set time they've given you for assembling it, I'd be inclined to pick it up and let your LBS do it. You're probably going to need to be fitted for it anyway. Where better to do that than your LBS?
2008-03-12 2:53 PM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
I was a little bored so I just want everyone to know

38 days til first tri
2008-03-12 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1267941

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

charleston - 2008-03-12 2:53 PM I was a little bored so I just want everyone to know 38 days til first tri

Woohoo!

2008-03-14 8:26 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

It's Friday, what are the weekend plans for everyone?

My wife has a Sprint Tri tomorrow morning that I'll be jockstrapping. Then she'll drop me and my bike off on the way home for a 3 hour ride. Then a 1 hour ride on Sunday.

Hope your plans for the weekend are good ones.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » apw0397's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16