BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-03-24 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- FULL!

Happy Monday Everybody!  Hope you all had a great Easter Weekend.   Hope your training continues to go well. 

2008-03-25 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Highly recommended reading...Triathlon Secrets (aka "The Method" ) by Marc Becker.

In essence, this book covers the pitfalls of our sports techno-wizardry and the inclination towards massive volume...and reaffirms that some methods we all "inherently know".

Read up, kiddies, there will be a Quiz....

Edited by guncollector 2008-03-25 5:44 PM
2008-03-26 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the link. I'm not ready for the quiz yet, though!
2008-03-26 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1284841

User image

JHagerman - 2008-03-21 7:11 AM
" I've been doing a few brick workouts at the gym - run bike run. Is it a good idea to do this regularly or should I change up frequently? My longest time is 25 minutes each, and I feel good after the workout. My problem is this: the treadmill and bike at the gym time out after 25 minutes. I know I could just restart the workout, but I wonder if I should only be doing the bricks once in a while and right before a race. I don't know what I'm doing."

Last year I biked the whole 20K and ran 5K for some of my bricks for my sprint races. It seemed to help. Probably should have did swim/ bike bricks to get used to hopping on the bike after swimming.

Ron, I probably won't be ready for the quiz. The geologist I'm working for has given me a bunch of homework on different system of logging I haven't used before.
Thanks for the link.

HEY, I won the Golden Easter Egg at the local Bunny Hop 5K. I thought I was to old to win a race but none of the local fast guys showed up. If you hear honking in the background that's the goose looking for her golden egg not me blowing my own horn.
2008-03-26 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats, Pollywog... sub 6 minute/mile is cruisin'!!!!

Edited by LJR 2008-03-26 10:27 PM
2008-03-27 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1293209

User image

Modesto, California
guncollector - 2008-03-25 3:44 PM

Highly recommended reading...Triathlon Secrets (aka "The Method" ) by Marc Becker.

In essence, this book covers the pitfalls of our sports techno-wizardry and the inclination towards massive volume...and reaffirms that some methods we all "inherently know".

Thanks Ron!

Couple of questions. It appears that the majority of my training is zone 2, what should my Oly race be at, or what zones for the entire race should I be shooting for? Its almost time for my transition training and I will probably do it during bricks, I could use your help getting in the right heart rate zones .

Do you have any info on swim drafting skills or technique,I have a hard time during races for some reason. In the pool its easy when you are guided by lane lines and can see!

Also I am thinking of swapping out my triple on my road bike after Wildflower, do you know whats involved in that besides the crank, I would like to do it myself if I don't have to change out the f. derailer or any cabling.

2008-03-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1296825

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
nevergivin - 2008-03-27 8:43 AM
guncollector - 2008-03-25 3:44 PM

Thanks Ron!

Couple of questions. It appears that the majority of my training is zone 2, what should my Oly race be at, or what zones for the entire race should I be shooting for? Its almost time for my transition training and I will probably do it during bricks, I could use your help getting in the right heart rate zones .

Do you have any info on swim drafting skills or technique,I have a hard time during races for some reason. In the pool its easy when you are guided by lane lines and can see!

Also I am thinking of swapping out my triple on my road bike after Wildflower, do you know whats involved in that besides the crank, I would like to do it myself if I don't have to change out the f. derailer or any cabling.

Here's a BT article that gets referenced a lot on threads for Oly race strategy. I never raced just using my HRM, only for guidance at the start of the bike and run. You have to know your RPE vs HR too because as time goes on during the event your HR will begin to creep and depending on the weather (warm) it can be quite unreliable.

Drafting during the swim, I try and draft whoever passes me for as long as possible, I get passed a lot!  You don't have to be right behind them to draft, you can even be off to a side a bit.  Drafting is just tougher in dark waters vs clear water.  I also worry too much about drafting someone who will go off course.  I know I've went astray more than once on long swims.

2008-03-27 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
As suggested to me recently I tried to ride with a cadence of 80ish rpm'. But even trying to keep at that pace is difficult. I was prolly only avg of 65-70 on my ride today. It was cold at 39 F and even snowing lightly. Also the wind was out of the east again (which is odd here - and ironically, in my face on the way home...)

However, I did notice that by using an easier gear and upping my rpm's, it was significantly more easy to keep up speed while going uphill. My last ride I used harder gears and pushed harder to keep speed up. I was advised not to do that because of probable injury - I understand that now.

Hmm, 'Gee Mr. Obvious, I never made the connection.'

I got tired near the top of a few hills and slowed down quite a bit, but was able to keep my speed above 10mph (easiest gear that ended up being 70 rpm's)

So today I didn't use my highest gear (? - the bigger gear in the front).

My overall time for my ride today was the same as the other day - same route - at 1h20m. So while I don't feel as exhausted as I did my last ride, my legs do feel more weak.

I guess my question is... Should I train regularly using cadence as my guide and save the harder gears for race day when I feel like I can dig deeper, or should I race the same way?

Edited by JHagerman 2008-03-27 12:41 PM
2008-03-27 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1296579

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

LJR - 2008-03-26 8:26 PM Congrats, Pollywog... sub 6 minute/mile is cruisin'!!!!

x2.  6min/mi...I'm impressed!

2008-03-27 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1297650

User image

Regular
JHagerman - 2008-03-27 10:39 AM

I guess my question is... Should I train regularly using cadence as my guide and save the harder gears for race day when I feel like I can dig deeper, or should I race the same way?

I'd be curious to know that too. Ironbruin had one really big hill that I practiced a few times in pretty much the lowest gear since that's all I could really make it up in at the beginning. I ended up having a great run, so on the one hand I'd worry that taking it any harder could affect the run, but on the other I still had some energy left at the end so I'm wondering if I could have handled it. Would it also matter where in the course the hills were, and how many?
2008-03-27 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1296825

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
nevergivin - 2008-03-27 5:43 AM

Race how you train. If the majority of your training is in Zone 2, race in Zone 2. That said, you'll find that you can tolerate a slightly higher bpm's during a race--a function of the adrenaline and race atmosphere.

Essentially, I'd shoot for an oxymoronic "comfortably hard" effort during your race.

Whatever you do, do not rocket out of T1 as a result of that pumpin' adrenaline. Consciously reign in your effort, and start out of T1 easy....there will be plenty of time during your race to ramp it up over the next 25K.

Here's my swim drafting technique--and mind you, I am not the swim guru by any means. Like Donto said, I always try to draft/latch onto someone who swims slightly faster than myself. Do not swim directly behind him, swim slightly to the side of one of his ankles--this is the most hydrodynamic spot. You'll know exactly where, as there is a noticeable difference in effort between being "in the draft" and "out of the draft".

This might sound obvious...but you'd be amazed what impatience and ego can do to you during a race. Sometimes, you'll feel like, this is "too easy" drafting behind this guy..."I need to go faster!"....But, if you decide to pass the draftee up (and can't immediately find a faster ride) and find yourself swimming just neck-and-neck with your original draftee, drop back into the drafting spot.

As far as sighting, this is a skill acquired with practice. I practice sighting during every session in the pool. I'll pick out a water bottle, bench, whatever on the opposite side of the pool and learn to sight on it every few strokes. With practice, it becomes second nature.

This is out of my very limited area of bike-mechanic skills. My guess would be the front derailleur requires some re-indexing if not outright replacement--as you're going from 3 chainrings up front to two. Your best bet, if you want to try it yourself, is to pick up one of Leonard Zinn's excellent bike-maintenance/repair books. Also, Park Tools has an excellent reference section on their website for most upgrades and repairs.

Good luck!

Edited by guncollector 2008-03-27 2:58 PM

2008-03-27 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1297650

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

JHagerman - 2008-03-27 10:39 AM Should I train regularly using cadence as my guide and save the harder gears for race day when I feel like I can dig deeper, or should I race the same way?

First, let's get our terminology straight....higher gears = more resistance, lower gears = less resistance. The easy way to remember this, is the higher/lower designation refers similarly to both gears and resistance.

The common wisdom is that spinning at 90-100rpm's is the most efficient way to go. But, many beginning riders don't find it so. That's because they haven't developed the neuromuscular strength needed to ride there yet. But, that's what you want to strive for. Riding at 70-80rpm's might "feel" like you're gonna get from point A>B faster--and it may initially...but you have to take the leap of faith to learn to ride 90-100rpm's where you'll be more efficient and stronger over the long run.

Make sure your rear cassette (the collection of gears on your rear wheel) is suitable for your riding style/strength/experience. A 12-23 (aka "corncob" ) is best suited to stronger cyclists--and unfortunately that's what many road bikes come stock with. Remember: the lower that second number, the fewer "lower gears" you have. A 12-25 is more like it, and a 12-27 or 11-28 even better for us "triathlete-cyclists". (Note: my road bike has a 12-27, and my tri-bike has a 11-28).

You race at as high a cadence (maxing out at 100-120) as you can sustain. Always. Everytime. You never intentionally use higher gears when a lower gear will sustain the same speed (you might "feel" like you're "powering" down the course--but in reality you're just wasting energy). You have to trust me on this. Of course, hill climbing will reduce your rpm's to 60-70 rpm range even when you're in your lowest gear....this is natural. That's why I state as high as you can sustain.

Now, there is a place for high gear (high resistance) training. The is tantamount to sport-specific strength training. But, this type of training is best limited to once per week (caution: always shift down to a lower gear if you experience any knee pain...immediately...and stop completely if the knee pain doesn't stop! Do not mess around with your knees...unless you like being sidelined for weeks and incurring expensive orthopedic bills!). Those of you in hillier/mountainous locales that ride hills regularly may not even require any specific high gear training.

For those you fortunate enough to have an indoor trainer, this is the ideal place to practice higher-cadence riding.

Edited by guncollector 2008-03-27 3:26 PM
2008-03-27 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1298039

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

faeron - 2008-03-27 12:52 PM
JHagerman - 2008-03-27 10:39 AM I guess my question is... Should I train regularly using cadence as my guide and save the harder gears for race day when I feel like I can dig deeper, or should I race the same way?
I'd be curious to know that too. Ironbruin had one really big hill that I practiced a few times in pretty much the lowest gear since that's all I could really make it up in at the beginning. I ended up having a great run, so on the one hand I'd worry that taking it any harder could affect the run, but on the other I still had some energy left at the end so I'm wondering if I could have handled it. Would it also matter where in the course the hills were, and how many?

Faeron,

You might want to check your bike's gearing--specifically the rear cassette (see my post above) and decide for yourself if a swap out is needed.  If you look around--esp. on eBay or Craigslist--you can find replacement cassettes cheap...$20-25.  It might be as simple as "buying a few lower gears" and you'll be laughing (while spinning) up hills like in your Ironbruin race.

As far where in the race the hills are...it doesn't really matter. You just need to know where and how many hills you'll be climbing and train accordingly.

2008-03-27 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1298144

User image

Master
Small Town
guncollector - 2008-03-27 4:25 PM

You race at as high a cadence (maxing out at 100-120) as you can sustain. Always. Everytime. You never intentionally use higher gears when a lower gear will sustain the same speed (you might "feel" like you're "powering" down the course--but in reality you're just wasting energy).

Thank you for your response and answering my question. I'll check into what cassette setup I have too.
2008-03-27 5:11 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Thanks Ron, Thanks Don ! Great info and tips. This gives me a good window of HR to shoot for, I know its hard to dial in during a race when you are getting busy. I also need to relax more during a race, I assume I waste allot of energy because I'm too tense. First race is six weeks out and I'm trying to make sure my race strategy is good. 
2008-03-27 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1298452

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

nevergivin - 2008-03-27 3:11 PM Thanks Ron, Thanks Don ! Great info and tips. This gives me a good window of HR to shoot for, I know its hard to dial in during a race when you are getting busy. I also need to relax more during a race, I assume I waste allot of energy because I'm too tense. First race is six weeks out and I'm trying to make sure my race strategy is good.

You know....one of the absolute best pieces of advice I can give you is...HAVE FUN during your race.  Treat it as a hard training day with lots of other triathletes around.  Nobody's putting pressure on you...so why put so my pressure on yourself?

If you run into some obstacle...roll with it.  Treat it as a learning experience.

I'll give you an example: during my first tri (Napa Valley Sprint), I had problem with my front derailleur.  When my buddy and I had driven up, we thought we had carefully placed our bikes in the back of my SUV atop one another.  Well, out of T1 I had a loud clacking sound everytime I shifted into the big chainring.  What did I do?  I raced the entire race in my small chainring--just "rolled" with it.  Turns out, it forced me to race at a higher cadence...and coast (read=rest) on some of the downhills...and I had killer bike split as a result.

So, with the simple HAVE FUN mantra in mind, I think you'll find it easier to relax.

2008-03-28 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1298504

User image

Regular
Thanks for the advice! Since I pretty much know nothing about bike mechanics, I've just kind of been avoiding anything with the chainrings/cassettes etc if I can help it, but I will definitely check out what's on my bike. I gotta start learning somewhere, right? .
2008-03-28 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1298504

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
guncollector - 2008-03-27 6:41 PM

nevergivin - 2008-03-27 3:11 PM Thanks Ron, Thanks Don ! Great info and tips. This gives me a good window of HR to shoot for, I know its hard to dial in during a race when you are getting busy. I also need to relax more during a race, I assume I waste allot of energy because I'm too tense. First race is six weeks out and I'm trying to make sure my race strategy is good.

You know....one of the absolute best pieces of advice I can give you is...HAVE FUN during your race. Treat it as a hard training day with lots of other triathletes around. Nobody's putting pressure on you...so why put so my pressure on yourself?

If you run into some obstacle...roll with it. Treat it as a learning experience.

I'll give you an example: during my first tri (Napa Valley Sprint), I had problem with my front derailleur. When my buddy and I had driven up, we thought we had carefully placed our bikes in the back of my SUV atop one another. Well, out of T1 I had a loud clacking sound everytime I shifted into the big chainring. What did I do? I raced the entire race in my small chainring--just "rolled" with it. Turns out, it forced me to race at a higher cadence...and coast (read=rest) on some of the downhills...and I had killer bike split as a result.

So, with the simple HAVE FUN mantra in mind, I think you'll find it easier to relax.

Absolutely, have fun and learn.  When the weather is a major issue, you have roll with it and take the experience with you.  During training, if there are high winds, it's raining, etc , don't give up and wait for another day, train and learn.  Check this race report, from this experience last April, I was more than ready for the next two races last year as a result of it.  I took the lessons learned and applied then the best I could be it swimming with high winds, riding during high winds and driving rain, to organizing my transition area in prep for a deluge while out on the course so that I'd have dry running shoes!

2008-03-28 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1298310

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
JHagerman - 2008-03-27 5:23 PM
guncollector - 2008-03-27 4:25 PM

You race at as high a cadence (maxing out at 100-120) as you can sustain. Always. Everytime. You never intentionally use higher gears when a lower gear will sustain the same speed (you might "feel" like you're "powering" down the course--but in reality you're just wasting energy).

Thank you for your response and answering my question. I'll check into what cassette setup I have too.

Some where Mike Ricci (BT Coach - D3 Multisports) has an article about this very issue.  Spinning to low uses the fast twitch muscle fiber more, the idea is to save these for the end so you can pull in the reserve, sort of speak, when you need to.  Spinning at higher rpm's also is our in physical engine sweet spot for power production.  Sure there are freaks of nature out there that ride with slower rpms than most, we call them mashers!  My friend is a masher, runs at a slower stride rate and pedals slower.  When we do epic rides together the one thing I always notice is that towards the end of the rides I can still crank out a hard brief spin up a hill, maintain a higher speed for a dash , etc. than he can without the burn he gets.  As with any "habit" it took me a few weeks / rides for my mind to reset to the increased pedal rate.  This very issue was one of the 1st things I learned when I signed up on BT in 2004.

For a reference, my ideal pedal rate is 100, +/- 5 rpms and as the ride gets longer my pedal rate increases.  Over 105 I begin to bounce on the saddle and will shift.  Also, I'm rarely in the big chain ring up front unless I'm going downhill, have a good tailwind or getting a good pull draft from cars going by.  Speed has to be >21 mph for me to shift it up. As a part of this, with my 10 ring cassette, I stress not to continuously use the smallest two rear gears (e.g. 12-13 tooth rings) with the small front chain ring, or the biggest rear gears (e.g. 23-21 tooth rings) with the big front chain ring to avoid long term stresses on the chain / drive train.

BTW, us flatlanders get to use a 12-23 cassette and can find the sweet spot in just about any condition without major hills! 

2008-03-29 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1300455

User image

Master
Small Town
Donto - 2008-03-28 4:09 PM

Spinning to low uses the fast twitch muscle fiber more, the idea is to save these for the end so you can pull in the reserve, sort of speak, when you need to. Spinning at higher rpm's also is our in physical engine sweet spot for power production.

Thanks Donto,

It is easier for me to understand high rpm's based on the human physiology aspect.
2008-04-01 4:41 PM

User image

Just bumping us back to page one.

Nothing new here. Cold, Windy & snow flurries. Thankfully not enough snow to cover the roads & trails.

2008-04-02 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Hello everyone, how's it going?
March started out good for me but didn't end so well. I haven't got in as much time on the bike as I would have liked and my doctor says I have an IT Band issue. I do have an appt with an ortho for mid April to look into this further. Needless to say my runnning as been cut way down. My race is in a month so I am a little worried.

On a happier note, my swim time has dropped over the last month. I have lost around an average of 12 seconds/100 yards. I keep track of the 1200 yards that make up the most part of my main set during my 2550y workout and average these to get this time. These laps are normal laps, no aids or drills. I credit the time drop to increasing my swim volume and the 6x100 Pull (with paddles) that my workout ends with.

Keep up the good work and who's racing next?

Scott R

Wanted to add that the last lap of this main set is a 100 [fast]. I have been tracking this also, and my fastest to date was a 1:21 and I still don't know how to do flip turns.

Edited by TysDad 2008-04-02 3:52 PM

(Swim Times.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Swim Times.jpg (46KB - 29 downloads)
2008-04-02 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Way to be Tysdad! Good job on cutting down your swim time! Hopefully your IT band issue will be easily and quickly resolved! Keep us posted.

And on the swimming note, I finally cashed in my penny jar and was able to afford my first few months at the local YMCA. So tomorrow will be my first attempt at floating (and hopefully moving) in the water. Like I've said before, I was a lifeguard about 10 years ago, so I'm hoping that the swimming will come back to me quickly.

I'm actually pretty nervous even about simply entering the pool. I don't want to *look* like a noob... I just hope I'll actually be able to get some quality time there not just throwing water around.
2008-04-02 1:28 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Thanks Jeremy. I'm sure swimming will come back to you quickly. The last time I swam any laps before the end of last year was 1993. I played 2 years of HS water polo. When I started swimming again last September, my times were averaging 2:00/100y. Just keep swimming and have fun.
2008-04-03 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Just wanted to say "Thanks" for all the tips and advice the past 2 or 3 months. I know this mentorhsip is supposed to end as of March, so I won't be checking in as much now.

Thanks again, and all the best.

Cheers,
Jim
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15