User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Team Lively Lava
notarunnr - 2008-04-02 9:09 AM
owl_girl - 2008-04-02 11:59 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-01 5:53 PM
notarunnr - 2008-04-01 1:59 PM

aliclimb - 2008-03-31 7:44 PM I suppose I better introduce myself too. I'm currently a physical therapy student switching careers from research science. I did a few Danskin women's triathlons when I was in grad school in Colorado and had a blast. Since moving back to Nebraska, I had to find something to do since climbing and skiing were not as accessible, so I got back into tri last summer. Last year I completed one sprint and did the bike leg on a team that included lastcall2003. This year I'd like to do both those triathlons, along with a marathon (or two, I'll find out about the 2nd tomorrow). I squeeze most of my training in around classes, which isn't too bad. I'm having more of a problem getting in the swimming and riding along with the marathon training....thus the incentive to join the challenge! Oh, and I'm amazed at all the moms on our team! I just barely keep up with a dog and a cat.

Wow isn't it cool to have a physical therapist on the team....Just think of all the questions we can get answered...like do I really have to stretch before I run?

don't have to be a physical therapist for that answer...just have to be old and decrepid like me...and the answer is YES...STRETCH...STRETCH...STRETCH...this is something that I learned in all the sports that i have played in...not only do you want to stretch before but after...this will help you to avoid those pulled muscles, injuries and will actually help to tone! In fact I need to go stretch now...I just went up to hills near my house and did a long and hilly 6 mile single track run...lots of rocks, ruts, and roots from all the trees that were around...at first I wasn't sure if I should have been running in my tennis shoes or my hiking boots! but glad I was in my tennis shoes.....my dog went with me and she was way behind me on the way back...we are both going to sleep like a puppy!

Alli---You stretch before you run AFTER you warm up those muscles first. Right?????

Which came first the chicken or the egg?   

I gave up stretching before I run I was getting some serious pain that was attributed to the stretching, but my runs start out slow, so I think it takes me longer to warm them up.  I do stretch afterwards.

So if you shouldn't stretch until you are warmed up, how do you warm up to stretch?  Me so confused on this whole thing! 

x2...Tracy could you be more specific?...now I am confused! not sure I will switch what I am doing. I could barely walk in November due to knee issues and since I have been good about stretching before and after my runs....I feel fabulous...even after yesterdays HE double L run in the hills my legs are not sore AT ALL...am I not supposed to be stretching before??? but only after?!?  

2008-04-02 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1310655

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
notarunnr - 2008-04-02 9:11 AM

Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 11:05 AM Good morning everyone....I am going to go hop on my bike before the rain hits! then will be going to the pool! may not make the masters class at noon but will definitely get in some lap swimming on my own. have a good day! get out there and ride, bike, swim and do those core workouts! if you need a shove let us know! I DO FOR THE POOL! someone PUSH ME IN!!!! gotta find my swim mojo...anyone find mine? or have an extra?

I found mine.....it was gone and it pisses me off when it goes away.  I think I have some extra I can give to you, I felt great in the pool this morning.  Maybe it is the frigid cold temp of the water...or maybe it decided the cruel trick was up.  

Julie, get thee to a pool!  I gotta get you one of those swimpods, you can listen to Jerry while you swim back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...... 

did you say swim pods? they make them? what closet have I been in...or maybe I don't know because I HAVE NOT BEEN AT THE POOL to see them!?! thanks for the shove Tammy I will go today PROMISE!!! do I have to swim, though!!?! kiddin!!!

2008-04-02 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1310676

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 9:20 AM

aliclimb - 2008-03-31 7:44 PM I suppose I better introduce myself too. I'm currently a physical therapy student switching careers from research science. I did a few Danskin women's triathlons when I was in grad school in Colorado and had a blast. Since moving back to Nebraska, I had to find something to do since climbing and skiing were not as accessible, so I got back into tri last summer. Last year I completed one sprint and did the bike leg on a team that included lastcall2003. This year I'd like to do both those triathlons, along with a marathon (or two, I'll find out about the 2nd tomorrow). I squeeze most of my training in around classes, which isn't too bad. I'm having more of a problem getting in the swimming and riding along with the marathon training....thus the incentive to join the challenge! Oh, and I'm amazed at all the moms on our team! I just barely keep up with a dog and a cat.

Wow isn't it cool to have a physical therapist on the team....Just think of all the questions we can get answered...like do I really have to stretch before I run?

don't have to be a physical therapist for that answer...just have to be old and decrepid like me...and the answer is YES...STRETCH...STRETCH...STRETCH...this is something that I learned in all the sports that i have played in...not only do you want to stretch before but after...this will help you to avoid those pulled muscles, injuries and will actually help to tone! In fact I need to go stretch now...I just went up to hills near my house and did a long and hilly 6 mile single track run...lots of rocks, ruts, and roots from all the trees that were around...at first I wasn't sure if I should have been running in my tennis shoes or my hiking boots! but glad I was in my tennis shoes.....my dog went with me and she was way behind me on the way back...we are both going to sleep like a puppy!

Alli---You stretch before you run AFTER you warm up those muscles first. Right?????

I gave up stretching before I run I was getting some serious pain that was attributed to the stretching, but my runs start out slow, so I think it takes me longer to warm them up.  I do stretch afterwards.

So if you shouldn't stretch until you are warmed up, how do you warm up to stretch?  Me so confused on this whole thing! 

x2...Tracy could you be more specific?...now I am confused! not sure I will switch what I am doing. I could barely walk in November due to knee issues and since I have been good about stretching before and after my runs....I feel fabulous...even after yesterdays HE double L run in the hills my legs are not sore AT ALL...am I not supposed to be stretching before??? but only after?!?  

Check out the post just before this one, Julie.  Do you run later in the day or right when you jump out of bed?

2008-04-02 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1310668

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
owl_girl - 2008-04-02 9:15 AM

I have always instructed my clients to do exactly what you are doing, Tammy.  Start out slow to get the HR up, warm the muscles, and get your head in the game.  Stretch after your workout.  I'd sure love to get the Physical Therapy student to tell us what is best.  She is so lucky to get the most up to date info on this subject!

why is that you see most runners doing the stretches before any races?  Believe you me, I am very slow at the start, but thought that I still needed to stretch! if I am doing it with no purpose, I may stop...sure could use that 10-15 minutes on the run or to do other things in!?! thanks for the free advice Tracy! or are you going to bill us at the end of the month??? sure you will be hit up a lot for advice from all of us now! but you are probably used to it by now!
2008-04-02 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1302975

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Julie---Here is something I found for ya.  I'll keep looking into this and probably bombard you with stretching info.  I'm curious, too.  Cheers!

Available research is inconclusive regarding the optimal time to stretch. In addition, strong evidence is lacking with regard to the beneficial effects associated with pre-exercise stretching (e.g., injury prevention or enhanced athletic performance). In fact, research exists to suggest that stretching prior to an athletic activity may decrease power output resulting in diminished physical performance. Some group fitness instructors incorporate stretching at the end of the warm-up period of an exercise class. However, this practice can be somewhat counterproductive since stretching during the conclusion of the warm-up will cause a drop in the participants' heart rates prior to the start of the training segment of the class. Consequently, the most appropriate time to stretch tends to be at the end of a group exercise class. Stretching at the end of class (as part of the cool-down segment) is recommended because it is safer and more effective to stretch muscles that are properly warmed and, therefore, more pliable. Also, it will help to further facilitate postworkout recovery.

Source: Dr. Cedric X. Bryant, ACE's Chief Science Officer; ACE FitnessMatters, Mar/Apr 2006.

2008-04-02 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1310686

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 12:24 PM

Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 11:05 AM Good morning everyone....I am going to go hop on my bike before the rain hits! then will be going to the pool! may not make the masters class at noon but will definitely get in some lap swimming on my own. have a good day! get out there and ride, bike, swim and do those core workouts! if you need a shove let us know! I DO FOR THE POOL! someone PUSH ME IN!!!! gotta find my swim mojo...anyone find mine? or have an extra?

I found mine.....it was gone and it pisses me off when it goes away. I think I have some extra I can give to you, I felt great in the pool this morning. Maybe it is the frigid cold temp of the water...or maybe it decided the cruel trick was up.

Julie, get thee to a pool! I gotta get you one of those swimpods, you can listen to Jerry while you swim back and forth, back and forth, back and forth......

did you say swim pods? they make them? what closet have I been in...or maybe I don't know because I HAVE NOT BEEN AT THE POOL to see them!?! thanks for the shove Tammy I will go today PROMISE!!! do I have to swim, though!!?! kiddin!!!

swim p3

SwiMP3, there are others.  My son has one....I have never used it, nor has he except to goof around with.  Not sure how well they work.  I would love to swim with one, but my hearing is already bad...don't need to make it worse.

Slow is best for your swim....just work on your form.  Don't worry about speed yet, when you want speed just pick up one of those new speedo suits.

2008-04-02 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1310702

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 9:28 AM
why is that you see most runners doing the stretches before any races?  Believe you me, I am very slow at the start, but thought that I still needed to stretch! if I am doing it with no purpose, I may stop...sure could use that 10-15 minutes on the run or to do other things in!?! thanks for the free advice Tracy! or are you going to bill us at the end of the month??? sure you will be hit up a lot for advice from all of us now! but you are probably used to it by now!

Before races (which are usually at a horrible time of the morning) it would be better to do some light jogging and then lightly stretch the muscles that usually give you problems after a hard effort.  (For me, it's my calves.)  After the race, do a whole body stretch.

I'll bill you at the end of the month!   Hee-hee!!!!

2008-04-02 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1310781

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
owl_girl - 2008-04-02 12:50 PM

why is that you see most runners doing the stretches before any races? Believe you me, I am very slow at the start, but thought that I still needed to stretch! if I am doing it with no purpose, I may stop...sure could use that 10-15 minutes on the run or to do other things in!?! thanks for the free advice Tracy! or are you going to bill us at the end of the month??? sure you will be hit up a lot for advice from all of us now! but you are probably used to it by now!

Before races (which are usually at a horrible time of the morning) it would be better to do some light jogging and then lightly stretch the muscles that usually give you problems after a hard effort. (For me, it's my calves.) After the race, do a whole body stretch.

I'll bill you at the end of the month! Hee-hee!!!!

I damaged my IT band(hip end) at the end of last season, and my PT had me doing a whole set of stretches before I ran....everything started getting worse. One day when I didn't have enough time to stretch i just went and ran, and then the next time I just didn't want to stretch before I ran....and lo and behold my pain decreased. My PT wasn't happy, but I don't go to her anymore

2008-04-02 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1310744

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
owl_girl - 2008-04-02 9:43 AM

Julie---Here is something I found for ya.  I'll keep looking into this and probably bombard you with stretching info.  I'm curious, too.  Cheers!

Available research is inconclusive regarding the optimal time to stretch. In addition, strong evidence is lacking with regard to the beneficial effects associated with pre-exercise stretching (e.g., injury prevention or enhanced athletic performance). In fact, research exists to suggest that stretching prior to an athletic activity may decrease power output resulting in diminished physical performance. Some group fitness instructors incorporate stretching at the end of the warm-up period of an exercise class. However, this practice can be somewhat counterproductive since stretching during the conclusion of the warm-up will cause a drop in the participants' heart rates prior to the start of the training segment of the class. Consequently, the most appropriate time to stretch tends to be at the end of a group exercise class. Stretching at the end of class (as part of the cool-down segment) is recommended because it is safer and more effective to stretch muscles that are properly warmed and, therefore, more pliable. Also, it will help to further facilitate postworkout recovery.

Source: Dr. Cedric X. Bryant, ACE's Chief Science Officer; ACE FitnessMatters, Mar/Apr 2006.

Thanks Tracy...I look forward to what you find out! I sure do not want to stretch if it is impeding my work out! hey how is the yard work going?

2008-04-02 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1310780

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
notarunnr - 2008-04-02 9:50 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 12:24 PM

I found mine.....it was gone and it pisses me off when it goes away. I think I have some extra I can give to you, I felt great in the pool this morning. Maybe it is the frigid cold temp of the water...or maybe it decided the cruel trick was up.

Julie, get thee to a pool! I gotta get you one of those swimpods, you can listen to Jerry while you swim back and forth, back and forth, back and forth......

swim p3

SwiMP3, there are others.  My son has one....I have never used it, nor has he except to goof around with.  Not sure how well they work.  I would love to swim with one, but my hearing is already bad...don't need to make it worse.

Slow is best for your swim....just work on your form.  Don't worry about speed yet, when you want speed just pick up one of those new speedo suits.

I have lots of  new speedo suits...but they are not helping! but I will take your advice on the slow but sure swim...seems to be the story of my life! that is how I run, climb hills on my bike. Thanks girl!

2008-04-02 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1310781

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
owl_girl - 2008-04-02 9:50 AM

Before races (which are usually at a horrible time of the morning) it would be better to do some light jogging and then lightly stretch the muscles that usually give you problems after a hard effort.  (For me, it's my calves.)  After the race, do a whole body stretch.

good, I get paid then! hey are you ok...why are you lying on your back(your new avatar)? resting for your big run or ride?

2008-04-02 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1310896

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 10:23 AM

good, I get paid then! hey are you ok...why are you lying on your back(your new avatar)? resting for your big run or ride?

Hee-hee!  That was the best I could do for a peep avatar.  Had to get an owl in it somehow!

2008-04-02 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1310917

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Will weigh in on the stretching thing later...have to go to a ballgame.  I have kepty up with most of that dealing with pitchers and the likes....but as noted above...the info is pretty inconclusive...another one to toss around...Icing.  most NEW research shows that icing after an event is not good for you.

will jump back in the discussion later.

Steve

2008-04-02 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1310917

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
owl_girl - 2008-04-02 10:28 AM

Hee-hee!  That was the best I could do for a peep avatar.  Had to get an owl in it somehow!

here you go! this way you do not have to exercise....let the owl do it for you!!!

2008-04-02 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1310954

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Reno8 - 2008-04-02 10:36 AM

Will weigh in on the stretching thing later...have to go to a ballgame.  I have kepty up with most of that dealing with pitchers and the likes....but as noted above...the info is pretty inconclusive...another one to toss around...Icing.  most NEW research shows that icing after an event is not good for you.

Steve

good luck in your game today! KICK BOOTY! you running home after the game? if so...make sure you don't make a wrong turn! hehe

2008-04-02 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1310982

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 10:44 AM

here you go! this way you do not have to exercise....let the owl do it for you!!!

Oh, he's just way to cute!  I'm using him!  Thank you!!!!

2008-04-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1311019

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
owl_girl - 2008-04-02 10:51 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 10:44 AM

Oh, he's just way to cute!  I'm using him!  Thank you!!!!

ahhh much better! hated to see you stranded on your back!

2008-04-02 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1310954

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Reno8 - 2008-04-02 7:36 AM

Will weigh in on the stretching thing later...have to go to a ballgame. I have kepty up with most of that dealing with pitchers and the likes....but as noted above...the info is pretty inconclusive...another one to toss around...Icing. most NEW research shows that icing after an event is not good for you.

Steve

Oh dear, I need to catch up on my research.  I usually ice my legs after a long run.  I need to read more!

2008-04-02 1:56 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

You have been a Lively Lava group today!

Nice info on stretching - great discussion!!

2008-04-02 1:56 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Julie, have you gone for a swim yet?????
2008-04-02 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1311282

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lastcall2003 - 2008-04-02 11:56 AM Julie, have you gone for a swim yet?????

NO...but I am going! promise! are you going to attempt to go back to that bowl of noodles that you call a pool!?

2008-04-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1309402

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
notarunnr - 2008-04-01 5:54 PM
MDHillSlug - 2008-04-01 8:34 PM Hi Lavidians!

Here's a new roster chart to include new member naners

April Multisport Challenge
Team Lively Lava

abud7373
aliclimb
cmrey528
Girl Passing on Left
Givemashot
jsnowash
kpb421
lastcall2003
MDHillSlug
naners
notarunnr
owl_girl
Reno8

Spreadsheet

Also included as a file attachment.

Your a fast, fast woman...hope I don't have to race against you! 

Thanks for making a new one.  This will bump it to the next page so people can find it. 

make sure that all of you have the most latest updated chart. We have a few new people and we want to make sure that we do not leave them out! like I was doing....naners...I owe you a few inspires...where in Hawaii are you?

2008-04-02 2:12 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Found something a little more peepish for my avatar.  Now, on to my bike ride!!!
2008-04-02 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1311293

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-02 1:58 PM

lastcall2003 - 2008-04-02 11:56 AM Julie, have you gone for a swim yet?????

NO...but I am going! promise! are you going to attempt to go back to that bowl of noodles that you call a pool!?

LOL!!!! 

nope, spinning class on tap for tonight

more noodle wars tomorrow I think anyway - I haven't looked that far ahead  

2008-04-02 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1311344

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

owl_girl - 2008-04-02 2:12 PM Found something a little more peepish for my avatar. Now, on to my bike ride!!!

very cute!

New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Team Lively Lava Rss Feed  

of 37