BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-06-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2193105

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
IceManScott - 2009-06-03 4:09 PM Easy does it!

^^^x2^^^ 

good luck!

2009-06-05 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2070412

Freeland
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
Good luck to all who race this weekend.  I need to get my a$$ in gear, I have till the 21st before I hit the swim, bike and run.  Dam that is not long.  Have a 5k tomorrow and then I will hit it hot and heacy for 2.5 weeks. Swim, bike, run, swim, bike, run.  I will drill that into my body. 
2009-06-05 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
good luck all!!!  Remember, you are racing yourself and you can do it!!!!!
2009-06-06 6:15 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Thanks for the feet rinsing tips and the TA and wetsuit tips.  I just got my wetsuit this week so I am excited. The extra bouyancy should give me a little more confidence for the swim.  Last night I was sharing a lane at the pool and the man hit me in the face.  I guess I better get used to that for an OWS!
2009-06-07 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2198748

User image

Terps421 - 2009-06-06 6:15 AM Thanks for the feet rinsing tips and the TA and wetsuit tips.  I just got my wetsuit this week so I am excited. The extra bouyancy should give me a little more confidence for the swim.  Last night I was sharing a lane at the pool and the man hit me in the face.  I guess I better get used to that for an OWS!

Yes that is GOOD training Linda!  It sucks, but good training!  I hope everyone had a great weekend of racing and training!  I had a great weekend of celebration and a first in a relay in a huge Sprint race in Houston!  I fell a little short of a race goal (sub 19 for 3 miles) but still posted a great run of 19:18 for 3 miles.  Our team beat the second place team by more than 4 minutes... That was fun!  The Elite male finisher completed the race in 55:44 and our team finished in 56:23... Cool for us to go that fast BUT super cool for the top male to go that fast on his own!!!

Time to get focused on some training going into a huge and tough race for me at the end of this month!  My work schedule has changed just a bit, adding a new 8hrs of work, which will cut drastically into my training time for the next few weeks... BUT I will find a way to keep training and stay motivated thatnks to our group!!!   Rock on Folks!!!
2009-06-07 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Below is the email I sent to my bike coach.  I posted the beginning of a RR.  I have to add some times from transitions and the exact times on the swim, bike and run.  Overall was 1:31.  12 minutes swim, 38 minutes bike (20.3) and 35 mins run.  I held too much back.  Here's the email to the coach.  I'll mention more below and in parenthesis. 

"I had a great time.  The path was littered with learning experiences, but that's what I was there for. 

The swim - First time in a group.  I stayed with the jostling until I saw an opening and took off, only to have my goggles fill halfway with water about half way through.  I adapted though, no panic...I just stayed with someone swimming at my pace and they led me in without knowing it.  12 mins., and that included a run up the hill to the transition.  (If I could have seen, I may have been able to open up more, but I knew the swim can't make or break me.  The important thing was I adapted to the situation without losing control. I was very pleased with my reaction to swimming blind.)  

The bike - The bike was fine-tuned.  Worked perfectly.  Headwind going out.  Congested as I thought on Brown's Road.  But, I averaged 20.3.  The power was hard to keep up though.  It includes two long slow sections both out of the park and back in.  And, every time someone got in my way, I had to let up.  But I'm happy with the overall average. (As you might expect, this was the most fun.  I really loved racing on the bike.)

The run - This is where I needed more focus.  I should have run the course once before the race.  I was sluggish getting started as I expected off the bike, but when I regained my breath, I held back too long for fear of not having the juice to get through.   In the future I run the race course before the race, preferably a brick after riding the bike course.    I'd planned to do that last Tuesday at the TT (a weekly time trial held at the same venue) but the rain shut it down. 

My transition from the swim to the bike was too long. (more than 3 mins.  T2 was more than 2 mins.)

Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty good first time."

I've run 5K races at 29 mins.  Ran 7.5 at 75 minutes.  I would have liked to have a sub 30 min run.  I was over 35.  But, I'll know better next time.  I think I can also cut time off in the swim, maybe 2-4 mins over time.  I also need to work on nutrition for the July Olympic.  I ate a good breakfast of Fiber One and yogurt and fruit.  I had Gu before the race.  Then another at T1 and another about half way in the run.  Drank water in the transitions fast and some Gatorade on the run course.   Not enough may have been one reason I was so sluggish at the start of the run, unsure.  I think mostly that was because I had been pounding hard on the bike.  But, do I let up on the bike where I can make up the most time to take off a minute or 2 on the run.  Doesn't seem like a good trade.  

There you have it.  One other note, the Livestrong relay teams, I and one other guy who did the complete event raised more than $5,000 for Lance Armstrong Foundation.  That makes it even better.   

Thanks for all your inspires.  Thanks for your tips, your encouragement and your on-line friendship.  This forum and web site rock!

2009-06-07 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2200913

Regular
Newport Beach
Scott - thanks for posting your race report.  What a great day and race.  And the fundraising on top of everything makes it even more noble.  And re support/on-line friendship, same to you.  Looking forward to your Olympic.
2009-06-08 6:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats to the racers this weekend!!!  Iceman, I know that the bike is where I am the worst and everything I have read says that is the place to make up time....in my opinion only, I would not give up bike time for run time os swim time unless you are sure you are making up the minutes fully....

wow 19 minute run time?  Here i am begging to get down to 24 minutes....hmmmm 

Great job!!!
2009-06-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2200913

User image

Master
Scott,

Re: nutrition I think you had more than enough for a Sprint distance.  Below is guide to racing a sprint distance race - includes nutrition info: 

Racing a Sprint Distance Triathlon

Tips for Beginner and Intermediate Racers

Nutrition

Breakfast 3 hours prior to wave send off

1 gel prior to swim 15 minutes before

1 bottle on bike - w/at least 300 calories – take water at aid station as you need it

1 gel with 3 miles to go on bike

Water or Gatorade at every aid station - take something!

Heart Rate Monitor

Wear it so you can see the numbers later - good information for you and information can be compared to races later in the season. Look for HR to be around LT or + during the entire race.

Race Strategy for an Experienced Racer:

Swim: Swim flat out Time Trial speed - maintain, form, but swim upper steady effort, back off last 50m, and ease into the end of swim.

Bike: Start out in a gear you can maintain at 90 RPMS, warm-up for at least 1-3 miles at a steady effort, and once you feel your breathing is more regulated you can start to push the pace a bit. After 3 miles, you can drop the hammer. This should be about 90-95% of LT effort- hard but not so hard your legs are getting fried or that you can't run.

Run: Run easy out of T2 - grab some water, slow down and get your HR down - ease into the run. You want to run the 2nd half faster so pick up the pace ever so slightly, check your splits/effort the first mile, and if you feel comfortable then pick up the pace. At the halfway mark, time to GO! Let it fly just like you were running the last mile and a half of a 5k. If you paced the race right, here is where you can make up a lot of ground and just go by people like they are standing still. It's only a short period of time so push for all you are worth. 

Race Strategy for a Beginner Racer
:

Swim: Ease into swim, get into your flow and your own rhythm. Maintain form, back off last 25m, and ease into the end of swim.

Bike: Start out in a gear you can maintain at 90 RPMS (no bouncing in the seat), warm-up for at least 3-4 miles at an easy effort, and once you feel your breathing is more regulated you can start to push the pace a bit. After 4miles, you can go harder – not all out, just enough to get your HR up. Ride, hard but not so hard your legs are getting fried or that you can't run.

Run:  Run easy out of Transition 2 (T2)- grab some water, slow down and get your HR down - ease into the run. You want to run the 2nd half faster so pick up the pace ever so slightly, check your splits/effort the first mile (km), and if you feel comfortable then pick up the pace. At the halfway mark, it’s time to pick it up. If you paced the race right, here is where you can make up a lot of ground and just go by people like they are standing still. It's only a short period of time so push for all you are worth.

Edited by dangremond 2009-06-08 2:35 PM
2009-06-09 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
That is a good strategy.  Is it from BT?  I'll look to see if they have one for an Olympic distance.
2009-06-09 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2204546

User image

Master
Yes, from the D3 Multisport gang.  Ask and you shall receive:

Racing an Olympic Distance:

Breakfast 3 hours prior to wave send off
1 gel prior to swim 15 minutes before
2 bottles on bike - 1 w/at least 300 calories and one bottle of water
1 gel with 3 miles to go on bike
Water or Gatorade at every run aid station - take something! - and 1 gel at about 3 miles, before aid station so you can wash it down

HR: wear it so we can see the numbers later - good information for next year and this will be GREAT data to compare. Look for HR to be around LT or +

For Experienced Racer Strategy should be:
Swim flat out TT speed - maintain, form, but swim upper steady effort (just below TT effort), back off last 200m, and ease into the end of swim.

Bike - start out in a gear you can maintain at 90 RPMS, warm-up for at least 3-5 miles at a steady effort, and once you feel your breathing is more regulated you can start to push the pace a bit. Ride steady to moderate hard until 15 miles and then after 15 miles, you can drop the hammer. This should be about 85-90% of LT effort- hard but not so hard your legs are getting fried or that you can't run.

Run - easy out of T2 - grab some water, slow down and get your HR down - ease into the run. You want to run the 2nd half faster so pick up the pace ever so slightly, check your splits/effort the first two miles, and if you feel comfortable then pick up the pace. At the halfway mark, time to GO! Let it fly just like you were running a 5k. If you paced the race right, here is where you can make up a lot of ground and just go by people like they are standing still. It's only a short period of time so push for all you are worth.

For Beginner/Intermediate Racer Strategy should be:
Swim easy for 2-500 yds. and then maintain form, but swim steady effort (way below TT effort), back off last 200m, and ease into the end of swim.

Bike - start out in a gear you can maintain at 90 RPMS, warm-up for at least 3-5 miles at a steady effort, and once you feel your breathing is more regulated you can start to push the pace a bit. Ride steady to moderate hard until 20 miles and then after 20 miles, you can drop the hammer. This should be about 85-90% of LT effort- hard but not so hard your legs are getting fried or that you can't run.

Run - easy out of T2 - grab some water, slow down and get your HR down - ease into the run. You want to run the 2nd half faster so pick up the pace ever so slightly but not until after the 5k mark, check your splits/effort the first three miles, and if you feel comfortable then pick up the pace. At the halfway mark, time to GO! Let it fly just like you were running a 5k. If you paced the race right, here is where you can make up a lot of ground and just go by people like they are standing still. It's only a short period of time so push for all you are worth.

2009-06-10 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Great.  Many thanks.  They are really well thought out. 

2009-06-10 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2207049

User image

Veteran
Great job, Scott...your introspection and ability to adapt and change are both amazing characteristics.  Not to mention the tenacity and consistency.  You are a true athlete!
2009-06-12 10:32 AM

User image

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  Rest, Race or Good Training...whatever your flavor! 

Linda ~ race hard, have fun and let us see a RR asap!  You are gonna own it ~ I am excited for ya!

I'll be squeezing some training in and also celebrating my parent's 40th Wedding Anniversary on Saturday night.  

Looking forward to getting back on my bike ~ I have been neglecting that aspect of training way too much!  TIME, I definitely need more hours in the day and week!

2009-06-14 7:05 AM

Regular
Newport Beach
Linda, congrats on a great first race. Impressive results, both in your AG and overall!
2009-06-15 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Congratulations Linda!  Great job!

2009-06-15 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Quick update for everyone.  My side injury hasn't really improved.  I swam last week and it seems to have made it worse.  Either I have a Intercostal muscle strain (self diagnosed) or something worse...(broken rib?).  I think its the first as I have read that they can be very painful.  Right now sneezing is the worse think and I ran and cycled over the weekend.  I felt the pain a bit when really working hard, mostly while exhaling.  I'd like to swim a couple of times this week prior to my Sprint this weekend.  I think I will swim tomorrow and see how I feel after.  Wish me luck!
2009-06-15 1:53 PM

Freeland
dangermond, I hope it is nothing to serious.  Are you going to Big Fish this weekend?
2009-06-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2218965

User image

Master
I'll be there.  Are you going?  If so, we'll have to meet.  I plan on doing packet pickup on Sunday morning.  Besides pain the injury isn't too limiting.  My only concern is making it worse.  I think I'll swim tomorrow morning and go from there.  My biggest disappointment is that the injury only added to the difficulties I've had lately in getting into a regular training pattern.

My run on Saturday felt good and I'm anxious to see how hard and fast I can push myself.  In the same vein my ride yesterday afternoon felt good as well.  It was as hilly as you can get in SE Michigan and I felt that I worked really hard.  Legs were fatigues from previous days run so it was strength not cardio that was my limiter.  Biggest question remains swim.  I think if I can focus on form for 500M and really push myself I will do better than last year.
2009-06-16 8:56 AM

User image

Good luck Mitch... I hope the injury heals quickly for ya and you are able to enjoy your race without too much discomfort.

2009-06-17 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Well, kind of spur of the moment, but I just signed up for the Old Hickory Lake triathlon down near Nashville on the 27th.

With the injury and weekend conflicts preventing me from doing more races these last several weeks, I was just itching to get something on the calendar.  Unfortunately, Kentucky lacks much in the way of multi-sport races (relatively speaking), so I opted for one 2 hours away.

Looks like a good fit though -

1. Very beginner friendly (see the thread in TriTalk)

2. Time trial start to my first OWS, so not as much washing machine effect (right Terps?!)

3. Flat bike course, but with plenty of technical turns.

Needless to say, I'm excited.

Oh, and it's rather unconventional.  Due to the neighborhood logistics around the swim start, the race will actually be 400k swim, 1.5 mile run, 12.5 mile bike, 1.5 mile run.

Does that make it a quadrathlon or a triduathlon?

2009-06-17 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Jeff,

It is great to have a race on the calendar, even if the distances are odd.  You will have fun and kick b=== on the swim and bike!
2009-06-17 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2224621

Regular
Newport Beach
Jeff - sounds like a great race to take part in.  Also noted on the race host site that there is another one in July where they will be raffling off a new Q Roo bike.  If you won the raffle, you could send it Justin's way in exchange for the TI dvd...Smile:

Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Sunday, July 12th

SPECIAL PRIZE DRAWING FROM OUR SPONSOR QUINTANA ROO!

Be sure to stick around for your chance at the latest creation by Quintana Roo  - this will be awarded at the awards ceremony by random drawing - must be present to win! A QR Cd0.1 frame, fork, seat post, headset, and brakeset. Check out the photo below and click on the bike for more info....http://www.quintanarootri.com/QR_bikes/cd0.1/cd01.html

2009-06-17 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2225215

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Yeah, that race was on my early list of July options.  Thought it would be fun to spend the weekend in Chattanooga (have only drive through it a few times), and the bike raffle had me drooling.

Maybe I could convince them to raffle another one in the Music City Tri????

2009-06-18 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Any one else racing this weekend?  What are everyone's plans for the weekend?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28