BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-08-04 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2326178

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed!

disturbed275 - 2009-08-04 1:52 PM Ok, it's done   And you can find it here

Nice report.  Had to laugh at the textateer comments.  I told my wife - she (the volunteer) is exactly like how I would imagine my teenage daughters acting were I to tell them that they were going to volunteer at a race; "Fine, I'll do it, won't like it, but I'll make it bearable by texting my friends, hmph!"

2009-08-05 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2082292

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

My plan calls for some pretty hellacious workouts the next few days.  I did not factor in the oly when importing this plan - so there is no accounting for workout volumn leading to what would be considered a "B" race for me.  I'll have to put off the 3.5 hour ride etc. and focus on transition training and low impact training until Sunday.  I'll look at next week to do the longer endurance workouts - I need them to build for the HIM, so I can't skip all together.

2009-08-06 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2330862

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
sundevil87 - 2009-08-05 10:05 PM

My plan calls for some pretty hellacious workouts the next few days.  I did not factor in the oly when importing this plan - so there is no accounting for workout volumn leading to what would be considered a "B" race for me.  I'll have to put off the 3.5 hour ride etc. and focus on transition training and low impact training until Sunday.  I'll look at next week to do the longer endurance workouts - I need them to build for the HIM, so I can't skip all together.

Yeah I've had to train through a few races this year too.  It can be hard to schedule.  I usually try to put the longer stuff earlier in the week and leave myself at least a rest day the day before, even though it didn't always work out.

While racing is fun, it can really eat up a weekend that would be better spent getting in the long mileage for the longer events.  Best of luck getting that balance.  And enjoy your hellacious workouts  
2009-08-09 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
So, I finished the Oly today. Good race. I'll post a race report once the official results are posted so I can get my split times. I finished at a time of 2:50 and some change. I was happy with the result. My going in goal was to finish under 3 hours and a 2:45 would have been very good indeed. I felt very good in the water, had good transitions and rode well. My legs were spaghetti for about 2 and half miles, probably because I haven't done many bricks this year (none since I started training in earnest at the beginning of July) - thus my run was not especially strong (but I'll have to hold full judgment until I see the splits). I kept my HR in Z3 and hi Z2 for most of the race, which was my plan - there were of course times when it crept up toward Z4. I got a cramp in my right calf at about mile 4 or so of the run. I don't think I hydrated well enough. I still had a lot of electrolyte on my bike when I finished - I had planned to drink it all. Lesson for the HIM in September.

I felt good on the run and bike - so I think I'll be ok conditioning wise for the HIM - but I need to get a hold of the nutrition and the bricks if I am going to complete. And, more importantly, I will have to keep the HR at high Z2 and low Z3 - with a goal to finish and not "race". I will have to keep the competitive bug in the bag or I'll endanger the real goal of completing.
2009-08-10 6:59 AM

User image

Congrats!!!!
2009-08-11 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2337433

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
sundevil87 - 2009-08-09 8:17 PM So, I finished the Oly today. Good race. I'll post a race report once the official results are posted so I can get my split times. I finished at a time of 2:50 and some change. I was happy with the result. My going in goal was to finish under 3 hours and a 2:45 would have been very good indeed. I felt very good in the water, had good transitions and rode well. My legs were spaghetti for about 2 and half miles, probably because I haven't done many bricks this year (none since I started training in earnest at the beginning of July) - thus my run was not especially strong (but I'll have to hold full judgment until I see the splits). I kept my HR in Z3 and hi Z2 for most of the race, which was my plan - there were of course times when it crept up toward Z4. I got a cramp in my right calf at about mile 4 or so of the run. I don't think I hydrated well enough. I still had a lot of electrolyte on my bike when I finished - I had planned to drink it all. Lesson for the HIM in September. I felt good on the run and bike - so I think I'll be ok conditioning wise for the HIM - but I need to get a hold of the nutrition and the bricks if I am going to complete. And, more importantly, I will have to keep the HR at high Z2 and low Z3 - with a goal to finish and not "race". I will have to keep the competitive bug in the bag or I'll endanger the real goal of completing.

Nice job!  It sounds like you learned a few good lessons to take into the HIM next month.

2009-08-11 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Among Canadian Lakes and Trees
My first Triathlon! 375m swim, 10k bike, 2.5k run

We had to wait an extra 45 min because lightning - the weather cleared, and it was HOT.  The swim was pretty wavy and I was really glad I swam close to the buoys rather than by the shore where everyone else was.  A lot of people walked large chunks of the swim.  I just swam at a strong, relaxed pace, and watched the guy in front of me zig zag like a bee - but he was faster than me! I came out of the swim and was woozy while getting on my shoes - I couldn't keep steady on one foot!  Then I hopped on my bike for a nice flat course (on my mountain bike).  I had fun on the bike. Then onto the run, or shall I say walk.  I really tried, but the first 1/3-1/2 I totally walked. Then the forest was so muddy nobody was running - I considered having a roll in the mud, but fought the urge, and pressed on   The run was REALLY tough for me.  I couldn't believe how difficult it was to command my legs to go into the jogging motion.  But by the last half I seemed to have warmed up, and was able to kick it for the last 200m and finish strong - in 55 minutes!  WOHOO!!!!! I'm going to fill in my race report now!
2009-08-11 6:15 PM

User image

Congrats!!!!!!
2009-08-12 6:25 AM

User image

Just wanted to congratulate everyone on finishing their tri's. I have been busy trying to catch up at work after my long vacation and get my training back on track for my Olympic at the end of Sept. The swim and bike are coming along well ( I am pretty slow on long rides though) just will have to pace myself but still need to work on my run, very slow and painful, but really just want to get this one under my belt and then worry about splits. Congrats again and glad you guys are able to post again appears everyone has been busy.
2009-08-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2341849

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
mammaJaS - 2009-08-11 1:37 PM

We had to wait an extra 45 min because lightning - the weather cleared, and it was HOT. The swim was pretty wavy and I was really glad I swam close to the buoys rather than by the shore where everyone else was. A lot of people walked large chunks of the swim. I just swam at a strong, relaxed pace, and watched the guy in front of me zig zag like a bee - but he was faster than me! I came out of the swim and was woozy while getting on my shoes - I couldn't keep steady on one foot! Then I hopped on my bike for a nice flat course (on my mountain bike). I had fun on the bike. Then onto the run, or shall I say walk. I really tried, but the first 1/3-1/2 I totally walked. Then the forest was so muddy nobody was running - I considered having a roll in the mud, but fought the urge, and pressed on The run was REALLY tough for me. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to command my legs to go into the jogging motion. But by the last half I seemed to have warmed up, and was able to kick it for the last 200m and finish strong - in 55 minutes! WOHOO!!!!! I'm going to fill in my race report now!

Great job!  Sounds like it was a fun, but challenging experience
2009-08-12 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Race report posted at this link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I finished MOP (a little less than middle), but for a first shot at the oly distance, I am pleased. Areas for improvement for sure - but most importantly, I now see where folks in my age group fall out. Not much separates me from finish at the top of the middle - or the bottom of the top quarter - or however you want to describe it. But better.

A key component of being able to do better is definitely losing some weight. I was talking to a friend discussing lower the weight on the bike and how expensive it could be, when I realized it won't cost me anything to remove 15 - 20 lbs from the bike, all on the rider!

2009-08-13 6:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
mammaJaS - 2009-08-10 2:37 PM

We had to wait an extra 45 min because lightning - the weather cleared, and it was HOT.  The swim was pretty wavy and I was really glad I swam close to the buoys rather than by the shore where everyone else was.  A lot of people walked large chunks of the swim.  I just swam at a strong, relaxed pace, and watched the guy in front of me zig zag like a bee - but he was faster than me! I came out of the swim and was woozy while getting on my shoes - I couldn't keep steady on one foot!  Then I hopped on my bike for a nice flat course (on my mountain bike).  I had fun on the bike. Then onto the run, or shall I say walk.  I really tried, but the first 1/3-1/2 I totally walked. Then the forest was so muddy nobody was running - I considered having a roll in the mud, but fought the urge, and pressed on   The run was REALLY tough for me.  I couldn't believe how difficult it was to command my legs to go into the jogging motion.  But by the last half I seemed to have warmed up, and was able to kick it for the last 200m and finish strong - in 55 minutes!  WOHOO!!!!! I'm going to fill in my race report now!

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Not many in this world can call themselves Triathletes - you can!
2009-08-13 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2345356

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
sundevil87 - 2009-08-12 9:53 PM Race report posted at this link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I finished MOP (a little less than middle), but for a first shot at the oly distance, I am pleased. Areas for improvement for sure - but most importantly, I now see where folks in my age group fall out. Not much separates me from finish at the top of the middle - or the bottom of the top quarter - or however you want to describe it. But better. A key component of being able to do better is definitely losing some weight. I was talking to a friend discussing lower the weight on the bike and how expensive it could be, when I realized it won't cost me anything to remove 15 - 20 lbs from the bike, all on the rider!

I often wonder what sort of bike splits (and run splits for that matter) I would be capable of if I managed to lose the extra 10 pounds I always carry around my midsection.  Until that happens I think I am going to refrain from upgrading to a carbon frame.
2009-08-13 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Among Canadian Lakes and Trees
Thanks team for all your congrat's's!
2009-08-13 1:06 PM

User image

I often wonder what splits I could accomplish if I lost the 50 lbs around my mid section????Cry
2009-08-15 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Hey group!  I'm heading on the road soon to my second HIM of the season.  This is the race I've been looking forward to since crossing the finish line of it last year.  The run left me in pain and very humbled.  I can't wait to take another crack at it and I'm hoping to turn in a sub-5 hour time.  The weather isn't looking too promising, but I'm gonna give it my all and see what happens.  I'll check back in Sunday and let you all know how things turn out.  Everyone have a great weekend!

2009-08-15 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Hello team,
Just got back from a 2 week vacation with the family. Did not train a lot, but was able to do a few workouts.

I also did another 10K on August 2. I was not able to break the 45 min. My official time was 45:46. But I know I can do it, just have to train a little harder, more hills and sprints and I will be there....

My wife is doing her first triathlon tomorrow and I told her I would do it with her at her pace. Will let you know how it went...

2009-08-15 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2350376

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
disturbed275 - 2009-08-15 1:02 PM Hey group!  I'm heading on the road soon to my second HIM of the season.  This is the race I've been looking forward to since crossing the finish line of it last year.  The run left me in pain and very humbled.  I can't wait to take another crack at it and I'm hoping to turn in a sub-5 hour time.  The weather isn't looking too promising, but I'm gonna give it my all and see what happens.  I'll check back in Sunday and let you all know how things turn out.  Everyone have a great weekend!

Have a great race...
2009-08-15 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
mammaJaS - 2009-08-11 3:37 PM

Congrats on your first tri, great job.
2009-08-15 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2325545

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
disturbed275 - 2009-08-03 10:37 PM BTW, I set an OLY PR yesterday.  I'm trying to get a race report up, but it might be awhile with all of the unpacking I need to be doing (I just moved).  I'll let you all know when it's done

Congrats on the PR, that was a great race.....A 43:30 10K run is really fast, I am trying to run sub 45min on a stand alone 10K........
2009-08-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2345356

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
sundevil87 - 2009-08-12 11:53 PM Race report posted at this link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I finished MOP (a little less than middle), but for a first shot at the oly distance, I am pleased. Areas for improvement for sure - but most importantly, I now see where folks in my age group fall out. Not much separates me from finish at the top of the middle - or the bottom of the top quarter - or however you want to describe it. But better. A key component of being able to do better is definitely losing some weight. I was talking to a friend discussing lower the weight on the bike and how expensive it could be, when I realized it won't cost me anything to remove 15 - 20 lbs from the bike, all on the rider!

Congrats on your first Oly, you did a great job.

2009-08-17 6:02 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Hey Guys!  Well, I didn't get my PR yesterday.  In fact I wasn't even close, but I did have a really fun race despite some nasty biking conditions.  RR is here is if you're interested.
2009-08-18 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
So, I have some concerns about that cramp I mentioned on my race report. I haven't posted my workouts from last week (will get around to it eventually) - but I did two runs, one on Weds and one on Friday. I didn't workout on Monday, choosing to take a rest day after the race. Weds I did 1/4 mile pyramids with no problem - no real indication of the calf cramp from Sunday. On Friday I head out for a two hour run, which I was looking forward to, figuring I would go at about 8 1/2 mi pace planning to finish near HIM distance and give myself the confidence that my training level was going to be good for the HIM in Sep. 46 minutes into the race, just as I'm thinking, "Hey, no calf issue" - Bam! Knot in my calf . I thought about gutting it out - for all of about 15 seconds. I pulled up and walked back to the house, deciding against risking a greater problem. Here it is 4 days later and I am still feeling lingering pain in my calf. I will not run for at least 8 - 10 days and see where I'm at. I hope, hope, that I will be able to ease back into some running at that point just to keep the conditioning. I'll keep volume low right up to the race and hope that I can get through it.

On Thursday I am taking a maximal stress test that will measure cardiac condition and VO2 max. The Army Physical Fitness Research Institute has been running a long term study on the fitness levels of over 40 individuals ( every year about 350 or so over 40 senior leaders come through the Army War College). Other than that, I'm not going to stress my calf (the test is done walking, vice running, on the tread mill with all the test equipment). Its a pretty good deal actually, the program is very comprehensive covering many areas of health.

Anyway, I digress. I am crossing my fingers that I have not injured myself out of the HIM. If things are not noticeably better come Monday, I will go in and get an exam to rule out anything more than a mild strain of the muscle. After the HIM, I have the Army 10 miler in Washington, D.C. scheduled.

It is enough to make me scream!

Off to the pool!
2009-08-19 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2356010

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
sundevil87 - 2009-08-18 1:04 PM So, I have some concerns about that cramp I mentioned on my race report. I haven't posted my workouts from last week (will get around to it eventually) - but I did two runs, one on Weds and one on Friday. I didn't workout on Monday, choosing to take a rest day after the race. Weds I did 1/4 mile pyramids with no problem - no real indication of the calf cramp from Sunday. On Friday I head out for a two hour run, which I was looking forward to, figuring I would go at about 8 1/2 mi pace planning to finish near HIM distance and give myself the confidence that my training level was going to be good for the HIM in Sep. 46 minutes into the race, just as I'm thinking, "Hey, no calf issue" - Bam! Knot in my calf . I thought about gutting it out - for all of about 15 seconds. I pulled up and walked back to the house, deciding against risking a greater problem. Here it is 4 days later and I am still feeling lingering pain in my calf. I will not run for at least 8 - 10 days and see where I'm at. I hope, hope, that I will be able to ease back into some running at that point just to keep the conditioning. I'll keep volume low right up to the race and hope that I can get through it. On Thursday I am taking a maximal stress test that will measure cardiac condition and VO2 max. The Army Physical Fitness Research Institute has been running a long term study on the fitness levels of over 40 individuals ( every year about 350 or so over 40 senior leaders come through the Army War College). Other than that, I'm not going to stress my calf (the test is done walking, vice running, on the tread mill with all the test equipment). Its a pretty good deal actually, the program is very comprehensive covering many areas of health. Anyway, I digress. I am crossing my fingers that I have not injured myself out of the HIM. If things are not noticeably better come Monday, I will go in and get an exam to rule out anything more than a mild strain of the muscle. After the HIM, I have the Army 10 miler in Washington, D.C. scheduled. It is enough to make me scream! Off to the pool!

Ouch!  Injuries are never fun to deal with.  It was probably a smart thing to cut the run short.  Sounds like you are approaching it smartly though.  Give yourself plenty of good rest and when you get back to it, if its still causing pain definitely get it checked out.

Enjoy your testing tomorrow!
2009-08-21 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Hello Team,
I finally made my mind and registered for the Olympic tri tomorrow. It will probably not be an easy one since we will be getting the nice weather from "Bill".  The rain should only start later Saturday or Sunday, but the winds will be here.... Depending on how Bill evolves, winds could be 15, 20 or 25 mph. It is an out and back course so I should get the wind in the right direction at least twice (2 loops). The swim is in a lake, not the ocean so we should be good to go.

After that race, I will be preparing for the HIM on Sept 12 in Montreal. I feel that I did not train enough for that race but will do my best and since it is my first, set a time to beat for my next one maybe next year.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 16