BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-02-09 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2577385

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED
Thanks Jogo.  We are to busy training.  Heather it is on the way. 
cfCongrates!   Now for the second half

2010-02-09 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
OK great stories...I love the beer story Jo...reminds me of my college days....beer flowing in all directions....so a maybe I missed it but what was the costume you wore?

Edited by bfwhitt 2010-02-09 9:40 PM
2010-02-09 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran

OK THIS ONE IS FOR SHARON-----ENJOY!!!!! DONT THEY MAKE YOUR MOUTH WATER ?

MUCH BETTER FOR YOU THIS WAY NO SUGAR ADDED !!!!!

Edited by bfwhitt 2010-02-09 10:04 PM

(images.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
images.jpg (3KB - 4 downloads)
2010-02-10 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2664856

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
bfwhitt - 2010-02-09 9:01 PM

Hahahhaaahahahaaaahaaaaa!
2010-02-10 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2665679

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Hollz - 2010-02-10 10:44 AM
bfwhitt - 2010-02-09 9:01 PM

Hahahhaaahahahaaaahaaaaa!

You might be laughing, but I'm crying on the inside.....

LOL!! Just kidding! Thanks Bruce!! I appreciate you thinking of my health and all.....

2010-02-10 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
All those stories are having me ROTFLMAO!!!!

Thank you for sharing!!

I think I'm addicted to Crossfit.

Tomorrow they are forecasting snow....

Sorry....I think I'm just a bit tired right now!

2010-02-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2667011

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
hey all-it's been really quiet this week. Hope you are all doing well with your training and everything in general..Hope your hip is doing better Dud. Thanks for your inspires and encouragement. Hubby's knee replacement 2 week anniversary was yesterday and he is doing great-life is almost back to normal. It will still be another month before he can return to work, but I am confident he will be able to do that successfully now. Gonna do that 5k I promised this Sunday morning. That's about all for me. Hope you all have a great weekend!
2010-02-12 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2670190

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Hollz - 2010-02-12 1:45 PM hey all-it's been really quiet this week. Hope you are all doing well with your training and everything in general..Hope your hip is doing better Dud. Thanks for your inspires and encouragement. Hubby's knee replacement 2 week anniversary was yesterday and he is doing great-life is almost back to normal. It will still be another month before he can return to work, but I am confident he will be able to do that successfully now. Gonna do that 5k I promised this Sunday morning. That's about all for me. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Thanks Holly.  Its coming.  Wish I was 5K'ing with you.   Good luck you are going to rock.  Glad hubby is doing well.  I rehab TKR all day long.  So for him to say he is doing well 2 weeks out is great.  Keep up the good work. 
2010-02-13 12:22 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Good luck on your 5Ks Holly and Jo!!

Question for everyone: I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the marathon training tunnel, and I think I finally worked out the jigsaw puzzle that is the month of overlap between Ironman training and the marathon training.

The question is this: the Ironman training program I'm doing (Matt Fitzgerald/Tri Mag's Essential Week-by-Week #3) has distance based swims (good) and time-based bikes (good, my pace is fine on the bike). It has time-based runs, however, and I'm loath to do them that way because I am sl-o-o-w. I figured I'd take the times on the runs, figure on 10 minute miles, and convert them to miles instead. Does a 10 minute mile pace seem like a good guess for what they figure people are doing in a solid-beginner program?

P.S. Got the mug, woohoo!!

Edited by HNewman 2010-02-15 3:02 PM
2010-02-15 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Heather, what is the longest duration for the run?  I would look at that and compare it to another beginner plan that uses distance to determine how many mph they might've based it on.  It is hard to guess because some of the runs may be tempo, some may be LSD, so that 10mph may not be a consistent guide.  Can you  use your plan for swim and bike and use a different plan for run and just merge the two?

2010-02-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2671420

User image

Master
Canandaigua
It has time-based runs, however, and I'm loath to do them that way because I am sl-o-o-w. I figured I'd take the times on the runs, figure on 10 minute miles, and convert them to miles instead. Does a 10 minute mile pace seem like a good guess for what they figure people are doing in a solid-beginner program?

That sounds like a plan to me.  10 minute/mile pace on a marathon is a great beginner pace so it should be good for IM. 

2010-02-15 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2673581

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Hi all
Sincere apologies I have not been around for the last week. I know we all have it but that dirty word called work has been dragging my back side all around the UK with lots of early starts and late nights to boot.
Still have the next 4 days off to regroup. I intend to get a few 2 a day sessions in, a mix of bike and swimming this week with a run in hopefully to. Have been concentrating on the run / swim recently and left the bike in the garage (weather has played a large part of it). I completed a 27k ride with my brother on sunday. He has been doing tri's for 4 years now. He showed me the error of my ways by not giving equal time to all disciplines. it was a hard time. He is a good rider i mentioned to one or two earlier but he is riding Mont Ventoux (one of highest peaks during the TDF) this summer.

So how has everyone else been. Seen some good stuff going on, people completing races and trying different stuff.

going for a weigh in tomorrow as think all the good work over previous few weeks has been undone by hotel food and travelling. will drop my weight onto tomorrows training log and go from there.

onwards and upwards
2010-02-15 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2674277

User image

Chelsea, MI
I can totally relate. In Florida this week, eating out for every meal, ugh. Up a pound or two (posted in my log) but I expect it to start heading down again - getting the hang of eating and started up with running again down here today.
2010-02-17 4:52 AM
in reply to: #2674338

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
okay, went and had a weigh in. have moved up 3 lbs to 227 after 2 weeks of travelling and hotel food. Back on a more even keel this week while resting. Getting some training in and normal meals not laced with rich sauces etc. Am i disappointed, not really thought it was going to be worse. Think i feel more bloated than anything at present. will be looking to drop the 3lbs in next 10 days to get me ready for a push into march. (That mug will be mine!!!! (said in a sinister movie voice with wild cackling at the end)

Can you tell Im on a week off, time to blog utter nonsense for once

Hopefully winter is beginning to retreat. (seems to be going on for ever) After yesterdays cold wet run today is much brighter and sunny so off for a 30km ride in an hour or so. Legs a bit tired from yesterday but should hopefully strtch them out on the ride.

Have made a commitment to use the Livestrong Daily Plate to force myself to keep an eye on what im eating. Only way to really see how many calories are disappearing down the food tube.

Hope your all well
2010-02-17 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Hey MAC what is the Livestrong Plate challenge?
2010-02-17 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2676870

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
it just allows you to log all the food you eat. . So i logged what i want to lose a week in weight and it gives me a suggested daily calorie intake based on my exercise regime and exeretion level. You can then enter everything you eat and it takes it away.

In the short just a food logging program

2010-02-17 3:20 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
I use it too - free, very easy, and people feed their own nutritional information into it so it has about anything you could put in your mouth.
2010-02-18 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2678085

User image

Master
Canandaigua
HNewman - 2010-02-17 4:20 PM I use it too - free, very easy, and people feed their own nutritional information into it so it has about anything you could put in your mouth.

Shhhhh...... Don't tell Mike but not really liking the nutrition log here.  So can I get a link. 
2010-02-18 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I like the daily plate and my doctor actually recommended it as what she uses.  Here is the link, go to daily plate and set it up for yourself.  Just be honest about your daily activity level and add in training as you do it.  It gives a little too much for activity if you claim that you do that much daily.   Daily plate's graphs are really cool too.

http://www.livestrong.com/

Edited by jogo 2010-02-18 8:47 AM
2010-02-18 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2679058

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
okay here goes. Not fully figured it out yet but seems to have almost everything i have eaten over last 2 days. Thought it didnt have a muller yogurt i had but it was me spelling it wrong. Big thing is to get the portion size correct. brekfast cereals come out as 30g portions. I weighed this today and it wouldn't feed my 5 year old let alone me. Weighed my portion and it is a 60g.So far has highlighted to me the low fat options are stacked with  sugar. Trade off i guess

still finding it useful. It will also give you a recommended daily calorie intake if you want to lose or maintain a weight. It also takes into account your activity for the day and gives you a calorie credit.

so tomorrow the wife and I are out with friends for dinner (Curry, couldn't get any worse) But knowing this i can adjust input during day.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/
2010-02-18 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Jo thanks for the link. 

This is what happened at the doc's

Well got to see Dr. Grimm.  He agreed GT burstis.  It is on the edge of needing a cortisone shot.  If the pain area was any bigger he would shoot it.  Fom the history he beleives that I probably even had some bleeding in it.  It is healing well and he would keep letting heal as is.  I could talk him into shooting but waiting may be as effective.   I have an open invitation to get a shot and since we are next door to each other it can be done with just a phone call.  End of Feburary I can take a 1/2 mile run.  If it flares we will shoot it.  I know conservative but that is the way I operate with most things.  Of course when I was there "no pain", now "it aches".    

2010-02-19 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Dex, its good to have a diagnosis and option for that pain.  Have fun with the link.  Its an eyeopener.  Especially the breakdown of food.  I never realized how carb heavy I eat.

I have a mental issue that I'm not sure that I've seen addressed on BT (no, its not treatable with therapy or medication).  This week I've struggled mentally.  Last couple of weeks, I never missed a workout.  I was feeling great.  I did a spinning class/run/strength with trainer/run over 2.5 hours last Friday, a 5k+physical challenges on Saturday, and a 2 hour trainer ride on Sunday.  An hour in to the trainer ride on Sunday, I was done.  Fatigued.  It was all I could do to push through another hour.  The type of fatigue that almost brings you to tears.  I know one mistake was no nutrition on the bike, just water. I usually just eat breakfast and then do a workout.  I tanked totally after an hour, so that was a lesson learned: if I am going to go longer than 40 minutes, I need to take nutrition, I prefer clif gels.  Because I didn't take nutrition, because I had kicked my own butt over the weekend with crazy long workouts, mentally I am toast.  My mind is scared to get back on the bike.  It remembers that awful feeling when I got off the bike on Sunday.  I can't convince myself that if I go less and nutrition right, I won't toast myself.  I looked back at my logs for the past year and a half and I seem to struggle with this.  It is like the memory fibers are not in my muscles, they are in my brain, and my brain says, SURVIVAL.  It is stopping me and I need to surpress this memory of feeling like crap.   Work has been mentally fatiguing also, and that is not helping.  I just want to lie down and read a mindless book.  I can run but I can't bear the thought right now of the bike, sort of like how I felt the last time I was in the pool, on New Year's eve.  I can't make myself get back in the pool.  Suggestions?  Anything? 

I have my trainer tonight and I pay for him so I have to go.  I have the day off so I should be able to workout.  I am afraid I will try to play catch up and do six hours of killer workouts to make up for the time I've taken off this week and then be toast again.  I don't know how to set limits.  I look at the plans and think, for the beginner plans, which is where I belong because of my inconsistency, that they are just a minimum.  I know that this is wrong but I can't get past this mental thing.  Sorry to vent. 

On a personal note:  Work SUCKS!!  I had yesterday sort-of off, and I have today off.  I so don't want to go back on Monday.  Mentally, I am just done.

2010-02-19 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Its the work creeping into the workout.  You need to push the workout into work.  
2010-02-20 8:16 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
I had this problem with the shoe issue. No matter how much I told myself over the past few weeks that it was the shoes, my brain was 100% sure that I just couldn't run long distances any more, and it hurt too much to try. Took me this long to get back in the groove, and the only thing that helped was pushing myself out the door by saying I'd only do a little.

Try scheduling 15 minutes, or a half hour, with yourself on the bike? Nutrition won't be much of an issue there, but prepare just in case, and I bet you feel good enough to keep going, and then your confidence should come back. That's what happened to me. Tell your trainer that tonight is a recovery workout - he/she doesn't need to know why - and you won't overdo it, I bet.
2010-02-20 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
I agree with Heather, sometimes I need to go to the gym with no expectations of myself, no set times no set distance, just show up. I will then get on the bike or in the pool and just pedal or tread-water again no expectations of time or distance. This seems to help to just stay in the game and relax...sometimes I just need to take that mental break and let go of all my expectations of myself and just enjoy the moment.

Yoga , meditation or massage also works for me, sometimes our minds need more of a break then our bodies....easy does it...but do it.

Edited by bfwhitt 2010-02-20 5:32 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19