BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-02-17 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

New user
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
So yeah about that swimming thing....HOW does the whole master swimmers thing work. I got all set up and have my local chapter as well but they have been less than forthcoming about information.Do I just show up at the pool for the sessions or something? Beyond that though...I had another one of those great days...ran for the first time 25 minutes straight. Finally into the work outs that I just run. Needless to say I am very excited about it!

2010-02-19 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2678631

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

selonimes - 2010-02-17 10:37 PM So yeah about that swimming thing....HOW does the whole master swimmers thing work. I got all set up and have my local chapter as well but they have been less than forthcoming about information.Do I just show up at the pool for the sessions or something? Beyond that though...I had another one of those great days...ran for the first time 25 minutes straight. Finally into the work outs that I just run. Needless to say I am very excited about it!

Great job on the run!  Was my advice in the PM on the masters any help?

2010-02-19 7:36 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I thought maybe I would start a discussion an issue that we all face and how we deal with it.  Time to get our workouts in and maintaining consistency.  Consistency is one of the most important factor in working out whether you are training for a tri, a running race or trying to lose weight.  We all have priorities, families, jobs and stresses that pull at our time which for most of us is limited to begin with.  Maybe these priorities will prevent us from doing an IM or HIM anytime soon, but they shouldn't keep us from taking some time every week to get and stay healthy.  I think a lot of what undermines our ability to do this is our own enthusiasm to make a change in our lives.  We try to do more than our bodies and schedules allows and we crack.

The key to success in tri's, regardless of the distance is consistency.  If 5 hours a week is all that you can afford to devote to this, find a plan that fills those 5 hours to the maximum.  If the number is 10, find one that takes advantage of those 10 hours.  But the key is to spend that time every week.  Most plans will have some of those weeks more intense, and some weeks less intense, depending on where you are in the build, rest cycle.  But remember, the plans are designed by coaches that put a purpose behind each workout.  

This is not to imply that there won't be times that life just gets in the way.  Or that family vacations or other time away comes up.  There will be times that you have to miss a scheduled workout or even a longer stretch where maybe all we can do is run, because we don't have our bike with us. 

Remember, a goal without a plan is a dream.

2010-02-19 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
@Dan:  On Masters, if you know where they meet, just go over and introduce yourself to the coach.  Show your card.  There may be a pool fee.  Ours is $65 a semester. We meet at a university.  You can go anytime during four set times.

I'm lucky when it comes to time.  My wife knows I'm on a mission to show other cancer survivors and fat folks they can change their lives and improve their health no matter what their age.  She lets me have a pretty free hand with training time.  The proviso is this: Make sure you give your wife and/or family all the time they need and make it quality time.  Be there when you are supposed to be there.  Kathy and I have a date night set every week.  We know we are going out to be together to enjoy a movie and dinner.  Nothing interferes.  We also have dinner together every night.  We sit, talk, eat and then clean up together.  Those aren't the only times we share but they are in concrete.  No one and nothing gets in the way.  You have to let them know they are number one.   Also, involve them when you can.  Take them to races.  Kathy is my manager.  She makes sure all my kits are ready, she makes sure I have my heart rate strap, my Power Tap, or my Garmin when I run.  She is a team member.   My coach is a team member.  A couple of friends are team members.  We don't ever do this alone. 

After that, it's totally what Ken said.  Realistically decide how much time you have to devote to this.  If you don't have a lot of time, so what?  Then just set shorter goals, like sprints.  They are fun, quick and don't take a lot of training overall.  The farther you want to go, the more time a week it will take to get there.   Choose a plan, then stay with it as closely as you can.  You can't make up sessions and you shouldn't try.  Doubling up can get you hurt. 

Great topic.  I was wondering since only a few are participating here if we shouldn't open up the membership again for a couple of more. Just an idea and not necessary.  The more the merrier.

2010-02-19 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2681414

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-02-19 9:53 AM @Dan:  On Masters, if you know where they meet, just go over and introduce yourself to the coach.  Show your card.  There may be a pool fee.  Ours is $65 a semester. We meet at a university.  You can go anytime during four set times.

I'm lucky when it comes to time.  My wife knows I'm on a mission to show other cancer survivors and fat folks they can change their lives and improve their health no matter what their age.  She lets me have a pretty free hand with training time.  The proviso is this: Make sure you give your wife and/or family all the time they need and make it quality time.  Be there when you are supposed to be there.  Kathy and I have a date night set every week.  We know we are going out to be together to enjoy a movie and dinner.  Nothing interferes.  We also have dinner together every night.  We sit, talk, eat and then clean up together.  Those aren't the only times we share but they are in concrete.  No one and nothing gets in the way.  You have to let them know they are number one.   Also, involve them when you can.  Take them to races.  Kathy is my manager.  She makes sure all my kits are ready, she makes sure I have my heart rate strap, my Power Tap, or my Garmin when I run.  She is a team member.   My coach is a team member.  A couple of friends are team members.  We don't ever do this alone. 

After that, it's totally what Ken said.  Realistically decide how much time you have to devote to this.  If you don't have a lot of time, so what?  Then just set shorter goals, like sprints.  They are fun, quick and don't take a lot of training overall.  The farther you want to go, the more time a week it will take to get there.   Choose a plan, then stay with it as closely as you can.  You can't make up sessions and you shouldn't try.  Doubling up can get you hurt. 

Great topic.  I was wondering since only a few are participating here if we shouldn't open up the membership again for a couple of more. Just an idea and not necessary.  The more the merrier.

Was wondering the same thing Scott! I've been hoping that a topic or 2 might hit a discussion issue as I know there are a couple that still log into BT, but haven't posted here. 

I appreciate your post about how you and your wife get along with the hours you commit!  My wife and I have almost the same agreement!  Of course it helps that I am a morning person so I usually have most of my off season training done before she gets up in the morning.  In season it is only an issue the couple days a week that there are double sessions.  Probably the only thing that Connie doesn't like is the long bike rides for IM training and only because she worries about me and the traffic.  Fortunately I have some friends I have met on BT that will do some of those rides with me which makes her feel much better! 

2010-02-19 5:19 PM

User image

Thanks for the replies about swimming. It didn't make sense to swim more laps poorly, but it was good to get some validation. I'm going to work though the TI drills and concentrate on technique. TI just makes sense to me especially just starting out. I'm sure swimming slow won't be a problem (I'll just have to control my excitement the first race) My first race is a sprint with a 1/4 mile swim, but it has a 22 mile ride. I'm doing the sprint training so I should over train the swim distance, but I integrated a close to Olympic bike plan to make sure I don't get left behind on a difficult bike section. I'm looking at a couple other races that have 1/2 mile swims and shorter bike sections. I should be able to handle those with my training. This season I'm focusing on getting into shape, learning a lot and finishing some sprint races.

Selonimes - Great Job Running! The couch to 5K plan rocks and great job sticking with it!

2010-02-19 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2681229

User image

My wife is also very supportive. I know she gets tired of hearing about triathlon's and training, but she knows it is a goal and we are supportive of each other. I'm not training for all that long right now, having just started out, but similar to IceMan I try not to "take" time away from my family to workout. Sometimes it inevitably cuts into time with them, but I get up early a lot of times or exercise over lunch. My ultimate goals involve spending a lot more time training in the future, and along with that will have to come more dedication on my part to balance my time with family and other responsibilities. I try to keep in mind that even though my wife is supportive, it isn't her goal for me to do triathlons. Because it is my goal I have to sacrifice more than I ask her to, and that means getting up a little earlier or better managing my time throughout the day so she doesn't feel like I'm taking all my training time out of "our" time. In the warmer seasons she rides her bike while I run with my son in the Jogging stroller so it still counts as some family time, and I enjoy having them as company**BONUS*.
2010-02-20 6:27 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Since we have a strong core group here, but small in numbers I am going to offer to let some more folks in.  I think there are some that got shut out of a group due to lack of mentors! 

2010-02-20 9:47 AM

User image

New user
My second 25 minute run was pretty good last night. I have to say my quads were killing me I think still from the first run, but I must be recovering fast because today they are not sore. WOOHOO. Know where is that bike and pool.
2010-02-20 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2683318

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-02-20 10:47 AM My second 25 minute run was pretty good last night. I have to say my quads were killing me I think still from the first run, but I must be recovering fast because today they are not sore. WOOHOO. Know where is that bike and pool.

Great job Dan!!!

2010-02-22 3:16 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

How are you guys all doing?  Get through your weekend training ok?

2010-02-23 11:06 AM

Hi everyone, I fell off the wagon early but have come to my senses and am jumping back on. I am recommitting myself to the training as of today. I don't like admitting this but I did get discouraged for a number of reasons which were fairly poor reasons and I will work my way through them. I have been looking in on the forum and it has been a big influence in my decision to try again and in reminding me as to why I joined in the first place.I will start up with the training plan I originally chose. To further renew my commitment and for added support I will be joining a triathlon group in my city and will look into upcoming events that I could sign up for as a goal to work towards.Thanks everyone for your continued support.
2010-02-23 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2688300

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Chrisanthia - 2010-02-23 12:06 PM Hi everyone, I fell off the wagon early but have come to my senses and am jumping back on. I am recommitting myself to the training as of today. I don't like admitting this but I did get discouraged for a number of reasons which were fairly poor reasons and I will work my way through them. I have been looking in on the forum and it has been a big influence in my decision to try again and in reminding me as to why I joined in the first place.I will start up with the training plan I originally chose. To further renew my commitment and for added support I will be joining a triathlon group in my city and will look into upcoming events that I could sign up for as a goal to work towards.Thanks everyone for your continued support.

Great to have you back with us!!!  What ever help you need, let me know!!! 

Good idea with joining the triathlon group!  It adds a little accountability to help get through the rough patches!!!

2010-02-23 11:52 AM

Chrisanthia - 2010-02-23 12:06 PM Hi everyone, I fell off the wagon early but have come to my senses and am jumping back on. I am recommitting myself to the training as of today. I don't like admitting this but I did get discouraged for a number of reasons which were fairly poor reasons and I will work my way through them. I have been looking in on the forum and it has been a big influence in my decision to try again and in reminding me as to why I joined in the first place.I will start up with the training plan I originally chose. To further renew my commitment and for added support I will be joining a triathlon group in my city and will look into upcoming events that I could sign up for as a goal to work towards.Thanks everyone for your continued support.

Stay with it,,,,
2010-02-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2688436

User image

Welllington, NZ
Stay with it,,,,

That is the key. Over the last few years where i have actually exercised i have regretted letting training fall off when i've gone back to it and 'started again' - not quite at the beginning but certainly a fair bit back from where i expected i was at.

Chrisanthia - life does get in the way sometimes and it has to take priority but if your goals are important you will work out a way to achieve them! Welcome back!

Lewis.
2010-02-23 2:02 PM

Hey team,
I know i don't post as often as you all..but I'm still here. Last weeks challenge to hit the pool was a great push to get me back in the water....thanks! My daughter came home from University last week and got me to go to the gym to cycle 30 minutes a day for about 7 or 8 miles and then worked on core strength. I'm having a blast, my body is hurting some, and I'm more tired than usual...but all is well. I'll start posting my workouts in the training log this week, just been too busy.

The slow and steady goal of weight loss has been mine for about 20 years. I've never reached my goal, but I have come close a couple of times just to put the pounds back on. The lesson I have learned over the years is this. "If you don't change your ways, you just won't change" To be successful it has to be a lifestyle adjustment for life, not just a short term "I want to loose a few pounds", it's got to be forever healthy ways...and that my freinds is why I'm here. This journey all started with a goal to be healtier and loose a few pounds. I figured if I have to excersize then why not find a program and set a goal to keep me motivated. I have to admit it's not easy to make the commitment to get out there consistantly and I have struggled the last couple of months. But now that i have spent the last...almost 2 weeks...in the gym and pool I feel great and even more determined to train. I know that it's easier to continue every day and feel good about your commitment to health than it is to start over after channel surfing and eating chocolates on the couch or burgers in the car, haha. I'm down 12lbs this year, 40 more to go. That should make the running a bit more bearable.

Have a great week everyone....Laughing

2010-02-23 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2688939

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

go4girl - 2010-02-23 3:02 PM Hey team,
I know i don't post as often as you all..but I'm still here. Last weeks challenge to hit the pool was a great push to get me back in the water....thanks! My daughter came home from University last week and got me to go to the gym to cycle 30 minutes a day for about 7 or 8 miles and then worked on core strength. I'm having a blast, my body is hurting some, and I'm more tired than usual...but all is well. I'll start posting my workouts in the training log this week, just been too busy.

The slow and steady goal of weight loss has been mine for about 20 years. I've never reached my goal, but I have come close a couple of times just to put the pounds back on. The lesson I have learned over the years is this. "If you don't change your ways, you just won't change" To be successful it has to be a lifestyle adjustment for life, not just a short term "I want to loose a few pounds", it's got to be forever healthy ways...and that my freinds is why I'm here. This journey all started with a goal to be healtier and loose a few pounds. I figured if I have to excersize then why not find a program and set a goal to keep me motivated. I have to admit it's not easy to make the commitment to get out there consistantly and I have struggled the last couple of months. But now that i have spent the last...almost 2 weeks...in the gym and pool I feel great and even more determined to train. I know that it's easier to continue every day and feel good about your commitment to health than it is to start over after channel surfing and eating chocolates on the couch or burgers in the car, haha. I'm down 12lbs this year, 40 more to go. That should make the running a bit more bearable.

Have a great week everyone....Laughing

Stop by when you can. but remember my post on consistency!!! This too can be a habit if you give it a chance!!! 

Congratulations on the 12lbs!  That is great, and besides feeling better it is a huge motivator to get out the door!!!

2010-02-23 5:19 PM

User image

Chrisanthia - 2010-02-23 11:06 AMHi everyone, I fell off the wagon early but have come to my senses and am jumping back on. I am recommitting myself to the training as of today. I don't like admitting this but I did get discouraged for a number of reasons which were fairly poor reasons and I will work my way through them. I have been looking in on the forum and it has been a big influence in my decision to try again and in reminding me as to why I joined in the first place.I will start up with the training plan I originally chose. To further renew my commitment and for added support I will be joining a triathlon group in my city and will look into upcoming events that I could sign up for as a goal to work towards.Thanks everyone for your continued support.

Welcome Back!

Go4Girl - Great Job on the weight loss so far!

I on the other hand have been going in the opposite direction. I've been doing my workouts, but still hover at the same weight. I think it's time to get on a more structured diet and start dropping some weight.
2010-02-24 1:13 PM

User image

Hi all - Thanks, Ken for opening your group up for more. Glad I can join you, as this looks like an active group with a good mentor.

My name is Brenda and I'm 50 years old living in Indiana with my sweet but non-active hubby of 28 years, our 2 active teenagers (a boy and girl) and 2 Great Danes. About 5 years ago I didn't like how everything on my body was sagging and getting soft and pudgy. I took swimming lessons at the Y, dusted off my 20 year old Schwinn and laced on some running shoes. I did my first sprint tri 4 years ago and got hooked. As you notice from my profile pic, you don't see any other swimmers in the background. That's because I'm SO slow, that I'm practically the last one out of the water. No matter, I LOVE triathlons and would love to connect and learn from others who do too.

I just did one local sprint tri a year for the last few years. I'm goal oriented, so turning the big five-oh made me determined to do something competitve at least once a month to celebrate being alive for so long. I completed three sprint tris, two olympic tris, six 5K races, two 10Ks, and two half marathons. It was a full year and it was a blast! As part of that goal, I also want to do a HIM which is what I plan for in July. I'm excited and nervous and struggling in the pool, on the bike and in my running shoes in February in Indiana. I love to cook and bake, so I'm struggling with healthy eating, too. I know that being a part of a group with like goals will help keep me focused and accountable. Thanks again for letting me in.

Looking forward to getting to know you.
2010-02-24 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Brenda, great to have you here.  To all who are posting regularly, thank you.  To those coming back online, great.

Those sore quads on the run? Are you stretching after?  I was taught to think of stretching as getting ready for the next run.  Makes sense to avoid the pain.   But I was taught not to stretch on cold muscles.  Run a bit to get them warm.  Yoga - I'm getting into it because of its restorative stretching.  It is great.

Also, don't spare the ice or the heat.  I ice injuries, I soak in warm baths.  Love it.

Tough bike last night, tough one tonight, though shorter, and then a brick, a run with the running club for an hour.  

2010-02-24 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2691124

User image

Welllington, NZ
Brenda, welcome. Good to get another member who's done a few of these things in here for us newbies who're nervous about our first! Embarassed

My TI book (tri swimming made easy - ti way for anyone to master open water swimming) arrived a couple of days ago and i tried some of the drills in the pool this morning. Gee i never knew it was so hard just to float! I am definatively what he classes as a sinker! No wonder i'm always struggling to stay on the top of the pool! Anyway, i expect some hard lessons ahead!!! Great book though!

Lewis.

2010-02-24 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2691074

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-02-24 2:13 PM Hi all - Thanks, Ken for opening your group up for more. Glad I can join you, as this looks like an active group with a good mentor. My name is Brenda and I'm 50 years old living in Indiana with my sweet but non-active hubby of 28 years, our 2 active teenagers (a boy and girl) and 2 Great Danes. About 5 years ago I didn't like how everything on my body was sagging and getting soft and pudgy. I took swimming lessons at the Y, dusted off my 20 year old Schwinn and laced on some running shoes. I did my first sprint tri 4 years ago and got hooked. As you notice from my profile pic, you don't see any other swimmers in the background. That's because I'm SO slow, that I'm practically the last one out of the water. No matter, I LOVE triathlons and would love to connect and learn from others who do too. I just did one local sprint tri a year for the last few years. I'm goal oriented, so turning the big five-oh made me determined to do something competitve at least once a month to celebrate being alive for so long. I completed three sprint tris, two olympic tris, six 5K races, two 10Ks, and two half marathons. It was a full year and it was a blast! As part of that goal, I also want to do a HIM which is what I plan for in July. I'm excited and nervous and struggling in the pool, on the bike and in my running shoes in February in Indiana. I love to cook and bake, so I'm struggling with healthy eating, too. I know that being a part of a group with like goals will help keep me focused and accountable. Thanks again for letting me in. Looking forward to getting to know you.

I'm glad you are able to join us Brenda!!!  Don't be shy if you have a question or an opinion!  We have a pretty good mix of folks with some experience and some working towards their first tri!!!  We've been having a lot of fun encouraging each other through the off season! Well, except for Lewis who is in the middle of summer!  

2010-02-24 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2691569

User image

Welllington, NZ
Well, except for Lewis who is in the middle of summer!  

Ken, if you said that out loud here in Wellington you'd be lynch'd! It's been a very very VERY poor excuse of a summer! Cry But you're right, it should be the middle of summer here! I'm going to feel very depressed listening to all your stories when you guys move into summer and we're into winter though!

Lewis.
2010-02-24 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You aren't a sinker. You are a non breather.  Push the air out of your lungs, let your body what it will then which is breath in deep and hold your breath and push off with your hands in front of you and your legs behind you.  Air in your lungs holds you up.  Its about breathing and balance. Or so I'm learning.
2010-02-24 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2691074

From one Hoosier to another, Welcome to the group.
bswcpa - 2010-02-24 2:13 PMHi all - Thanks, Ken for opening your group up for more. Glad I can join you, as this looks like an active group with a good mentor. My name is Brenda and I'm 50 years old living in Indiana with my sweet but non-active hubby of 28 years, our 2 active teenagers (a boy and girl) and 2 Great Danes. About 5 years ago I didn't like how everything on my body was sagging and getting soft and pudgy. I took swimming lessons at the Y, dusted off my 20 year old Schwinn and laced on some running shoes. I did my first sprint tri 4 years ago and got hooked. As you notice from my profile pic, you don't see any other swimmers in the background. That's because I'm SO slow, that I'm practically the last one out of the water. No matter, I LOVE triathlons and would love to connect and learn from others who do too. I just did one local sprint tri a year for the last few years. I'm goal oriented, so turning the big five-oh made me determined to do something competitve at least once a month to celebrate being alive for so long. I completed three sprint tris, two olympic tris, six 5K races, two 10Ks, and two half marathons. It was a full year and it was a blast! As part of that goal, I also want to do a HIM which is what I plan for in July. I'm excited and nervous and struggling in the pool, on the bike and in my running shoes in February in Indiana. I love to cook and bake, so I'm struggling with healthy eating, too. I know that being a part of a group with like goals will help keep me focused and accountable. Thanks again for letting me in.Looking forward to getting to know you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29