BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-02-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2587664

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tri for fun - Full up, closed
Hey gang davidson3 is now leftrunner.  Don't ask.

Great work.

2010-02-08 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2661235

User image

Regular
Binghamton
leftrunner - 2010-02-08 10:54 AM Hey gang davidson3 is now leftrunner.  Don't ask.

Great work.

I was wondering...the picture looked familar but the name was different!

Welcome leftrunner!
2010-02-08 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Just another late night post.  Swam 1000M after my morning nap (worked all night) then hit the road for 9 miles at 8:29.  Starting to get back some long run pace, but I need a lot of work by May.  Hope everyone is working hard.
2010-02-09 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2659447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
leftrunner - 2010-02-06 11:11 PM

Thanks for the tips.  Is it hard to swim with the socks on?  Seems like it might take a little getting used to. 

As to race belts, may I recommend putting it on under your wetsuit.  I forgot mine coming out of T2 in my first Tri, and ran back in to Transition to get it, screwed up the timing and messed up my head for the whole run.  I am such a noobie.

Sorry to my team that I haven't done anything the last 2 days.  I am dealing with back pain.  I have 2 old compression fractures in my L-Spine and have been having some pain for the past 1-2 weeks.  It feels fine when I run or bike, but then hurts like heck the next few days.  I am taking my wife/doctor's advice and taking it east for a few days.  Plan on hitting the Trainer tomorrow and Running Long on Monday. 

Great work everyone.

HOnestly I don't even notice the socks. But I do notice that the gravel etc coming out of the water doesn't hurt my feet quite as bad with the extra padding. Also I just wear thin ankle socks not the knee high cotton gym socks or anything like that.

Don't worry about your workouts. Take care of yourself and get healed up.
2010-02-09 12:16 PM

Regular
I'm still trying to get my act together and figure out what my summer race plans are.

Question/advice needed: I found two races I'm very interested in doing. 1) The Mass State Tri Sprint on July 18 and 2) The Greenfield Lightlife International Tri on August 1.

My goal was to try a race longer than a sprint, and Greenfield fits the bill, is small and is close to where I live. But would those two races be too close together? I'm not one who shells out money for a race and doesn't give it my all, so they would both be "A" events.

The problem for me is finding races I don't have to drive over 2 hours to get to. I could probably find another sprint earlier in July, but would need to travel. Or I could keep that sprint, but then have to travel for a different Olympic. Or... is that a reasonable rest between two races? It's exactly two weeks apart.

Your thoughts?
2010-02-09 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2663586

User image

Expert
vtgirl - 2010-02-09 1:16 PM I'm still trying to get my act together and figure out what my summer race plans are. Question/advice needed: I found two races I'm very interested in doing. 1) The Mass State Tri Sprint on July 18 and 2) The Greenfield Lightlife International Tri on August 1. My goal was to try a race longer than a sprint, and Greenfield fits the bill, is small and is close to where I live. But would those two races be too close together? I'm not one who shells out money for a race and doesn't give it my all, so they would both be "A" events. The problem for me is finding races I don't have to drive over 2 hours to get to. I could probably find another sprint earlier in July, but would need to travel. Or I could keep that sprint, but then have to travel for a different Olympic. Or... is that a reasonable rest between two races? It's exactly two weeks apart. Your thoughts?

I thnk you can do it.  THere is no need to taper for the Sprint, so treat it like a big high intensity Brick.  Then taper for 2 weeks into the long course race.

2010-02-09 3:06 PM

Okay, all you folks who have snow...time to start Fedex-ing it to Vancouver. We have been flying/trucking snow in, since our weather is so mild that the snowmakers can't really do the job. Yikes...my snowdrops are all up...etc . So anyone who is tired of winter...you can laugh about our "snowless" winter olympics worry. Poor Olympic committee!!

Keep up the great training everyone!!
2010-02-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2664069

I actually heard that on the radio yesterday when I was running in yet another winter blizzard!  The public school kids have missed 13 days total, I think. 

I am procrastinating, but I really need to get out there, because we have auditions tonight(easter play) that I thought would be cancelled, but are not!!!!  I took a nap and everything, so what is my problem?!  don't answer that! 
2010-02-09 11:21 PM

Okay, that image of you running in a blizzard and thinking of us hosting the Oly's and having to fly and truck snow up to the mountains above Vancouver -- too funny!! Maybe YOU should have the Oly's??

To all of you in snow....SEND SOME OUR WAY...

Train on everyone...you're doing great work.

I really have to ask why the change from "davidson" to "leftrunner". I have made up a great story that would be amusing to tell, but I think it is probably wrong. You said not to ask, so naturally we are all wondering....human nature...
2010-02-10 12:22 AM

User image

Expert
So I have to clarify.  Is the competition through Sunday 2/14, or Monday 2/15?  Trying to plan my week, and I have a Long run I can do on Sunday or Monday.  If the competition ends Sunday, I will fit it in, if not then Monday would be a bit easier.
2010-02-10 2:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
The competition was for 2 week.  The last day to record time and distance for points is Sunday Feb 14 unless people want to extend the competition 

Just let me know.

2010-02-10 3:38 AM

User image

Expert
2 weeks is good.
2010-02-10 4:20 PM

Regular
I contributed a wee bit of a trainer ride today for my team, 35 minutes.

I got confirmation that I'm definitely in a relay for the Quassy Rev3 Half Iron, doing the bike portion, and my husband is supposed to run it - his first half marathon. Finally time to do some planning on the training schedule!
2010-02-10 4:50 PM

User image

frozen north till Spring
Great job everyone!
2010-02-10 5:41 PM

today my husband called to tell me he went 10 miles on the bike at the wellness center!  He only has 30 minutes in which to work out and he's only been at it since the end of December!  I am really impressed by his diligence.  He has been going 5 days a week and sometimes on the weekend, also.  He was basically coming from the couch.  He plays basketball and softball, of course, but nothing consistently, until now.  It's just nice to know that he is getting in shape, too and I wanted to share the joy!  He runs 3 miles every other day.

Nichi

Great job everyone!

Oh, today on the radio someone said that when they were watching the Olympics as a child, they always dreamed of doing some sport like one of the athletes.  I  remember when Nadia was in gymnastics and Dorothy Hamell was skating.  Who did you ever want to be like?
2010-02-10 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Binghamton
who did i want to be like....Andy Maple - he was one of hte most dominant slalom skiers!  I loved waterskiing and always wanted to be like Andy!  Instead, i took the more extreme water sport - barefooting!

2010-02-10 7:39 PM

User image

Regular
Binghamton
so when i am swimming, my cap and goggles keep sliding up....mostly my cap!  is there any little tricks to keep it on?  also, in order to keep my goggles from leaking, i need to keep them pretty tight...almost too tight.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2010-02-10 9:42 PM

Hey Nichi...see how you got hubbie motivated...great job!! Tell him congrats from us!

I was doing gymnastics when little Nadia was my hero. The years after the Oly's weren't the best for her, though...I did want to be like her then, though.

Tomorrow the Olympic torch will come through our neighbourhood and all the local school are taking their kids out to line the route. I think I will do my run along the route. Should be exciting, though we(collectively) will be in debt over this for many years...sigh...

Great training everyone!!
2010-02-10 9:47 PM

Dan...nothing you can do about the cap per the swimmers in the household. They suggest the cap might be too small? Make sure cap is pulled far down in the front...almost to the google line. If higher up forehead, water will push it off.

The swimmers here(2 racers and one masters swimmer) all unanimously say if the goggs leak like that, they aren't fitting right...try a different brand. They should suction onto your face in the store if they fit well. But, yes, they do have to be on tight, too.

Keep up the good work
2010-02-11 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2663586

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
vtgirl - 2010-02-09 10:16 AM

I'm still trying to get my act together and figure out what my summer race plans are.

Question/advice needed: I found two races I'm very interested in doing. 1) The Mass State Tri Sprint on July 18 and 2) The Greenfield Lightlife International Tri on August 1.

My goal was to try a race longer than a sprint, and Greenfield fits the bill, is small and is close to where I live. But would those two races be too close together? I'm not one who shells out money for a race and doesn't give it my all, so they would both be "A" events.

The problem for me is finding races I don't have to drive over 2 hours to get to. I could probably find another sprint earlier in July, but would need to travel. Or I could keep that sprint, but then have to travel for a different Olympic. Or... is that a reasonable rest between two races? It's exactly two weeks apart.

Your thoughts?

Good question. I would definately taper before the first simply because you want them to both be A races. I would also taper before the second also, just make it a shorter taper.The two weeks between need to be seen as maintenance. YOu aren't going to gain a lot between the two races. Also have a recovery plan for the first week after the first race which should include diet, type of exercise etc. You can do it but you have to plan very smartly for it to enjoy it.
2010-02-11 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2666718

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
nichip - 2010-02-10 3:41 PM

today my husband called to tell me he went 10 miles on the bike at the wellness center!  He only has 30 minutes in which to work out and he's only been at it since the end of December!  I am really impressed by his diligence.  He has been going 5 days a week and sometimes on the weekend, also.  He was basically coming from the couch.  He plays basketball and softball, of course, but nothing consistently, until now.  It's just nice to know that he is getting in shape, too and I wanted to share the joy!  He runs 3 miles every other day.

Nichi

Great job everyone!

Oh, today on the radio someone said that when they were watching the Olympics as a child, they always dreamed of doing some sport like one of the athletes.  I  remember when Nadia was in gymnastics and Dorothy Hamell was skating.  Who did you ever want to be like?

Fun question. I always wanted to be like Rocky Balboa. I still wish I would have gotten into boxing. I wrestled for a bit and I always loved being out on the mat under the lights. It is amazing how somnay people can melt away and get quiet during intense competition. I loved it.

Good question, thanks.

2010-02-11 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2666919

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
leclerc457 - 2010-02-10 5:39 PM

so when i am swimming, my cap and goggles keep sliding up....mostly my cap!  is there any little tricks to keep it on?  also, in order to keep my goggles from leaking, i need to keep them pretty tight...almost too tight.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

As far as goggles go, I had to try three pairs before I found a pair I like. I use the speedo vanquishers. Best pair I have found and they are very affordable. As far as a cap, I have never heard of that before.
2010-02-11 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
So how are everyones workouts going??? Any glitches? Whats going well. Are you starting to feel those subtle changes that say fitness is coming? I am amazed athow hard you are all working. I love looking at your training logs and seeing improvement and seeing all the time your putting in.I keep thinking how its all going to pay off for you and how much you are going to be glad you put in the work now. Way to go everyone.
2010-02-11 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
My back is totally holding me back right now.  I am debating taking a solid 1-2 weeks off from running to let things settle down.  I hate stepping away for so long.  I was hoping to break 2 hours for a 25k in May.  But at 29 years-old, I am feeling my body telling me to slow down.  That being said, I am currently deciding whether to run 5 miles or ride for 8 tonight.

WHo did I  want to be?  I always loved luge and bobsled.  Never remember any names except the Jamaican team, and some East German/German who used to be in the East German secret police.  He was the captain of the gold medal bobsled team for like 3 straight olympics. 
2010-02-11 11:14 PM

On my run today, I noticed they piled on more snow by the elevator-this is next to the railroad tracks and a gravel road going out of town.  The "pile" of snow is now taller than me-I'd say easily 6 ft. (I'm only 5'4")  Send the FedEX trucks over!!!  

I ran in snow tonight, I loved it!

Not sure if I will be getting my run in tomorrow as it is my precious Tory's 6th birthday tomorrow! I was on bedrest for 10 weeks with her and had some scary times before she got here.  She has been an incredible blessing in our lives!

Have a great Friday, everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  

of 21