BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-10 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
Jason,
Just looked at your race log after reading your advice. Awesome job on your 1st tri! I hope my 1st one next month goes just as smoothly.

2010-04-10 11:08 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
I have a bike related question specifically for David and other people who dominate on the bike:

I have some pretty lofty goals for Steelhead 70.3 on July 31st.  I have roughly 13 weeks after my next race to get where I want to be.  I would like a 5:30 finish, and I am willing to hurt every day for those 13 weeks of training.  That being said, I am hoping to run 4(sometimes 5) times per week so that I can finish with a 1:40 run time and have some good base fitness for the Detroit Marathon in October.  I plan to peak for running at about 6hrs.

With that being said, I won't have a good run or make my goal time if I don't have a solid bike.  Right now, I don't have much for biking legs.  This summer I plan to bike 4(sometimes 5) times per week.  I will probably peak with about 8hrs of biking.  I would like to know what type of intense riding seems to provide the biggest gains?  (I ride with a very high cadence most of the time.)
something like riding in the big chain ring with slow cadence 5'(big) w/ 10'r and repeat
or just shifting to a higher gear and go faster still pedaling at a relatively high cadence for some interval
or intervals at max power or something

I am just not sure what kind of intense workouts I should do.
2010-04-10 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2782922

User image

jpbis26 - 2010-04-10 6:23 PM
Thanks, very encouraging that I can get better quickly. The cycling group in my area has lots of rides of varying abilities. I think I'll do the beginner group next week and see how I feel. If I feel like I'm not being challenged, then I'll try another group. I think I'm just scared that I'm gonna not be able to keep up & get dropped.

This  ^^^^^^^ is a great thing to have.  The group I started out with has about 40 or so riders...20-30 that will show up on a given saturday...anywhere from the top local cyclists and Kona qualifying triathletes...all the way down to the weekend rider that just wants to go out for a Saturday spin.  The best thing to do is go out and talk with them.  Let them know how your training is going, and I bet you'll find more than a few riders that are willing to take you under their wing.  Not everyone is training for an A race all the time...and you'll be surprised that many cyclists are out there just to ride...and will help you out...especially by not dropping you.  Our ride has a no drop policy...meaning someone, often times at least a group of 3 or 4 will wait for you or come back for you if you do get dropped at certain points.

2010-04-10 11:28 PM
in reply to: #2782948

User image

jpbis26 - 2010-04-10 6:48 PM Jason,
Just looked at your race log after reading your advice. Awesome job on your 1st tri! I hope my 1st one next month goes just as smoothly.

Thanks...just go out there and have fun.
2010-04-10 11:31 PM
in reply to: #2782769

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-10 4:34 PM
tri808 - 2010-04-10 9:10 PM Got in a 50 mile ride today and a short run afterwards.  It was pretty windy today, so my pace was down a bit...but I also wanted to make sure I didn't bonk before the run.

How'd the run feel?

Felt pretty good.  The first mile or so is always a bit "stiff"...for lack of a better word...but after that, it felt really good.  I could have gone farther...but I have a LR tomorrow.  Or at least what I consider long...about 8-9 miles...so I didn't want to kill my legs...I just wanted to get more accustomed to that feeling of running off the bike.
2010-04-10 11:44 PM
in reply to: #2782724

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-11 10:10 AM Dan,

No...nothing new.  I've been using infinit's ironman mix for a while now.  Maybe it was the turkey club I had for lunch.  I don't know.  I'm still all messed up from it.  

I didn't get the link for the exercises!  If you can repost them that would be awesome!

Jonathan 

ooops!   The first link is the one I was talking about.   The second is another one that I found on the same site.  It looks like there are a few more articles related to hip flexor there too.

http://www.livestrong.com/video/2757-strengthen-hip-flexor/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/103776-effective-exercises-hip-flexor-muscles/

2010-04-11 12:21 AM
in reply to: #2782936

User image

Champion
carlwithac - 2010-04-10 9:38 PM

newbz - 2010-04-10 5:02 PM get in a solid warm up before riding harder, and mix it up, sometimes short hard, rest, repeat (say 10x1 min hard, 1 min easy), other times a bit more steady hard, like 3-5 miles hard. as long as you are feeling no pain, and its not cuttign into how long you can ride, no, you should be ok right now.

Is it bad if I feel pain in my legs when I'm really pushing it as long as I give my legs adequate recovery if I'm doing hard intervals? I don't mean pain like I'm about to rip a quad, just my legs screaming from an intense effort.

thats ok, just pay attention to things that should not be hurting.
2010-04-11 12:21 AM
in reply to: #2782936

User image

Champion
carlwithac - 2010-04-10 9:38 PM

newbz - 2010-04-10 5:02 PM get in a solid warm up before riding harder, and mix it up, sometimes short hard, rest, repeat (say 10x1 min hard, 1 min easy), other times a bit more steady hard, like 3-5 miles hard. as long as you are feeling no pain, and its not cuttign into how long you can ride, no, you should be ok right now.

Is it bad if I feel pain in my legs when I'm really pushing it as long as I give my legs adequate recovery if I'm doing hard intervals? I don't mean pain like I'm about to rip a quad, just my legs screaming from an intense effort.

thats ok, just pay attention to things that should not be hurting.
2010-04-11 12:25 AM
in reply to: #2782956

User image

Champion
carlwithac - 2010-04-10 10:08 PM

I have a bike related question specifically for David and other people who dominate on the bike:

I have some pretty lofty goals for Steelhead 70.3 on July 31st. I have roughly 13 weeks after my next race to get where I want to be. I would like a 5:30 finish, and I am willing to hurt every day for those 13 weeks of training. That being said, I am hoping to run 4(sometimes 5) times per week so that I can finish with a 1:40 run time and have some good base fitness for the Detroit Marathon in October. I plan to peak for running at about 6hrs.

With that being said, I won't have a good run or make my goal time if I don't have a solid bike. Right now, I don't have much for biking legs. This summer I plan to bike 4(sometimes 5) times per week. I will probably peak with about 8hrs of biking. I would like to know what type of intense riding seems to provide the biggest gains? (I ride with a very high cadence most of the time.)
something like riding in the big chain ring with slow cadence 5'(big) w/ 10'r and repeat
or just shifting to a higher gear and go faster still pedaling at a relatively high cadence for some interval

if you can ride 8 hours/4x a week, this is what "i" would do here.

one ride, 1-1:30. warm up, ride short intervals or hills. something like 10-20x1min on, 1 min off, all out. cool down.

one ride of longer tempo/half IM efforts, 2 hour ride total. plan on riding at least an hour at that pace, maybe more. can have am in break here or there.

one ride of 2 hours ish, with 40 min at threshold/1 hour pace. broken up into 15-20 min intervals.

1 longer ride, with at least 40 min at tempo, and 20 min at threshold included.

if you have time, included a 5th, easy 1 hour ride in there.
2010-04-11 12:39 AM
in reply to: #2782984

Expert
Ann Arbor
newbz - 2010-04-11 1:25 AM
carlwithac - 2010-04-10 10:08 PM I have a bike related question specifically for David and other people who dominate on the bike:

I have some pretty lofty goals for Steelhead 70.3 on July 31st. I have roughly 13 weeks after my next race to get where I want to be. I would like a 5:30 finish, and I am willing to hurt every day for those 13 weeks of training. That being said, I am hoping to run 4(sometimes 5) times per week so that I can finish with a 1:40 run time and have some good base fitness for the Detroit Marathon in October. I plan to peak for running at about 6hrs.

With that being said, I won't have a good run or make my goal time if I don't have a solid bike. Right now, I don't have much for biking legs. This summer I plan to bike 4(sometimes 5) times per week. I will probably peak with about 8hrs of biking. I would like to know what type of intense riding seems to provide the biggest gains? (I ride with a very high cadence most of the time.)

if you can ride 8 hours/4x a week, this is what "i" would do here. one ride, 1-1:30. warm up, ride short intervals or hills. something like 10-20x1min on, 1 min off, all out. cool down. one ride of longer tempo/half IM efforts, 2 hour ride total. plan on riding at least an hour at that pace, maybe more. can have am in break here or there. one ride of 2 hours ish, with 40 min at threshold/1 hour pace. broken up into 15-20 min intervals. 1 longer ride, with at least 40 min at tempo, and 20 min at threshold included. if you have time, included a 5th, easy 1 hour ride in there.

Thanks.  Would such a pattern of intense efforts mean that frequent aerobic super long rides would be rather unnecessary? Except to test for long race conditions.
2010-04-11 12:44 AM
in reply to: #2782436

User image

Chicago
stefanier - 2010-04-10 4:25 PM
Thomasski - 2010-04-10 10:05 AM Well its 0900 on saturday and have already been up and knocked out an hour on the trainer. (I still havent replaced my brake shoes and have not given the equinox a tune up yet, its not worthy for the road yet). I am going to get my haircut now, and then a 7 mile run before work. And then as newbz said cough tonight (beers) cough. Have a great Saturday everyone and I will stop back in this evening.

Which equinox do you have. I have a 9.8 TTX. Just got it last month and I love it!!!

I have a bottom of the line 06 model equinox 7 that was bought to big for the guy, it had never been ridden and I bought it for cheap last year. But its awesome.

2010-04-11 6:18 AM
in reply to: #2782282

User image

Veteran
janeclemo - 2010-04-10 3:09 PM Afternoon everyone! (I'm CDT, insert your own greeting for your respective timezone)

I just feel so out of control while aero.  Does anyone have any advice for getting used to riding aero?

A drill I was recommended to use years ago is to ride on a rode that is very lightly traveled, and ride on the white line on the side of the rode while in the aero position. Try and stay on the white line as much as possible. I do this in all types of situations down hills, at high cadence, low cadence, etc...
Sometimes when I am just day dreaming on the bike I "get on the line".

The more you ride in aero the more comfortable you will get and the better you will become

Hope this helps.
2010-04-11 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2782590

User image

Bend, OR
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-10 6:46 PM What's up all?  I just got back from a 60 miles ride and I had a little "problem".  As soon as I came inside to put my running shoes on my stomach went completely haywire on me and I could not leave the house.  It was all cramped up, like my intestines hated my guts.  Anyone have this happen to them?  It's annoying because this was my only long ride of the week and I wanted to feel how the run would go...

Actually, I can relate to this.  I get that little "problem" too, but not all the time and it only happens after longer bike rides.  (For me long is 30-35 miles.) But not on every long bike ride.  Frown  I haven't figured out what causes it so any thoughts would be appreciated.
2010-04-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2782750

User image

Bend, OR
tri808 - 2010-04-10 8:25 PM
jpbis26 - 2010-04-10 5:42 AM
Biking- I suck. I'm just gonna try and survive. My tri course is super hilly, so I've been pratcicing hills. I found a beginners group I can ride with next week that does 20 miles ave speed 12 mph which sounds about right for me. Let me know if you have any advice other than just riding a lot.

Biking is very different from running...you shouldn't run with people that run faster than your fitness level...because there are no drafting effects...and running faster than your fitness level can cause injury.  With biking, you can draft and easily ride with someone that is a much stronger biker than you...and if you do burn out...there it is very unlikely you will develop an injury...except to maybe your ego.

Again...just my 2 cents...

I agree with this and as a newbie myself (2 sprints last year) I'm noticing significant improvements just by riding with people who are a little faster than me.  Last year I could barely hang on with a 13 mi/hr speed and I had to take the draft position a lot to conserve my energy.  This year I'm right up with them even taking the front spot some of the time.  

The point about running, I'm learning is really important!  I was so caught up in how fast I thought should be going that I've now caused myself some minor shin splints!  Ouch!  I like newbz point about not wearing a watch.  I recently bought a watch where I could be more mindful of my pace and was hoping I could get faster, but I'm realizing I need to pay more mental attention to how I feel and less to how fast I'm going for my specific fitness level.  At this point my watch is now an expensive FYI!!
2010-04-11 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2783032

User image

Bend, OR
trisagain - 2010-04-11 6:18 AM
janeclemo - 2010-04-10 3:09 PM Afternoon everyone! (I'm CDT, insert your own greeting for your respective timezone)

I just feel so out of control while aero.  Does anyone have any advice for getting used to riding aero?

A drill I was recommended to use years ago is to ride on a rode that is very lightly traveled, and ride on the white line on the side of the rode while in the aero position. Try and stay on the white line as much as possible. I do this in all types of situations down hills, at high cadence, low cadence, etc...
Sometimes when I am just day dreaming on the bike I "get on the line".

The more you ride in aero the more comfortable you will get and the better you will become

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this idea!  I'm going to try it if I can find a lightly traveled road somewhere in DFW!!  It's not very bike friendly out here.

2010-04-11 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2782985

User image

Champion
carlwithac - 2010-04-10 11:39 PM

newbz - 2010-04-11 1:25 AM
carlwithac - 2010-04-10 10:08 PM I have a bike related question specifically for David and other people who dominate on the bike:

if you can ride 8 hours/4x a week, this is what "i" would do here. one ride, 1-1:30. warm up, ride short intervals or hills. something like 10-20x1min on, 1 min off, all out. cool down. one ride of longer tempo/half IM efforts, 2 hour ride total. plan on riding at least an hour at that pace, maybe more. can have am in break here or there. one ride of 2 hours ish, with 40 min at threshold/1 hour pace. broken up into 15-20 min intervals. 1 longer ride, with at least 40 min at tempo, and 20 min at threshold included. if you have time, included a 5th, easy 1 hour ride in there.

Thanks. Would such a pattern of intense efforts mean that frequent aerobic super long rides would be rather unnecessary? Except to test for long race conditions.

i'd put the longer ride i listed in the 3-3:30 range, and then maybe every 10 days/two weeks, if you feel you need it get on a bit longer (the 3-3:30 should put you over race distance anyway).

all, running out to coach my girls at their next race, will be back to answer questions later today.

2010-04-11 10:39 AM

User image

Chicago

Hey everyone, I have a question for you all on how much time you spend working on your core. Just curious as to how long some do and what benefits you from having a stronger core. And if you are a core pro what exercises do you do that are not too strenuous on your back and stuff. Thanks Newbz group.

2010-04-11 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2782127

User image

newbz - 2010-04-10 7:33 PM  To the poster(s) asking about swimming, once you have your form down, or even somewhat down, you need to start swimming faster to get faster, just doing easy distance is not going to do much at all for your speed in the water outside of comfort. You need to start mixing up faster intervals on equal rest 1:1 ratio or there abouts (if you are swimming 4x per week do this every 4-5 workotus), some threshold work (around race pace on very short rest), this would be the 2-3 workouts per week. If you feel the need maybe keep one longer steady swim in there every 4-5 workouts as well.

Did a 80 km group ride today, everybody was somewhat tired so the tempo was not high. We cut it short to return and watch Paris-Roubaix. Man, what a race! Fabian Cancellera is the best, he crushed the field.

Anyway, what I want to say is in our group was former national triathlon champion. He was champion for 4 maybe 5 years in a row. He was a former swimmer, so I asked him about what I should do. He said, I should go for more volume, but I am not sure I can do that due to my time constraints. But I will try to wake up and go earlier to the pool, so that each time I can do about 3000 meters. I also asked him about faster works. He said I should swim faster than my average and rest more. I was doing 15x100 meters at 1:50-1:55, with 10 seconds rest. He said that should be when the race day is close. For now I should try for 1:40's with maybe 30-40 seconds rest.

David, what do you say about this recommendation? Also, regarding to threshold and faster intervals, can you give some examples? As I said before, my current PB for 1500 m is 29 minutes, my average workout 100 m times is 1:50-1:55.
2010-04-11 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2783218

User image

Thomasski - 2010-04-11 6:39 PM

Hey everyone, I have a question for you all on how much time you spend working on your core. Just curious as to how long some do and what benefits you from having a stronger core. And if you are a core pro what exercises do you do that are not too strenuous on your back and stuff. Thanks Newbz group.

Currently I do not do any core workouts. Swimming and running works the core enough for me. Of course, it is just me, YMMV.
2010-04-11 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
I've got aero related question.  With the weather getting warmer in the last couple weeks, I'm spending more time riding outside.  Living in PA, where potholes were invented, the roads can be a little rough.   Road repair is underway here and I'm finding a lot of patchwork and chip/tar out there right now.  

I'm comfortable riding in aero position but how concerned should I be doing it on rough roads?  Just relax and get through it or look for another route?
2010-04-11 11:22 AM

User image

Thomasski - 2010-04-11 6:39 AM

Only recently...as in this month have I been paying attention to my core.  Just a few minutes everyday doing some crunches...and when I ST once a week, I do some back extensions and more crunches.  As my core gets stronger, I'll add more in...maybe like the ab wheel...but if I do too much too soon...my abs tend to cramp up really bad.

2010-04-11 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2783259

User image

reid15 - 2010-04-11 7:13 AM I've got aero related question.  With the weather getting warmer in the last couple weeks, I'm spending more time riding outside.  Living in PA, where potholes were invented, the roads can be a little rough.   Road repair is underway here and I'm finding a lot of patchwork and chip/tar out there right now.  

I'm comfortable riding in aero position but how concerned should I be doing it on rough roads?  Just relax and get through it or look for another route?

You should be cautious on rough roads.  If it's rough to the point where you are constantly dodging pot holes, I would not ride aero...it's not worth being a more aero if you are constantly out of balance or even crash.  Saftey first in my book...
2010-04-11 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2783280

User image

tri808 - 2010-04-11 7:24 PM
reid15 - 2010-04-11 7:13 AM I've got aero related question.  With the weather getting warmer in the last couple weeks, I'm spending more time riding outside.  Living in PA, where potholes were invented, the roads can be a little rough.   Road repair is underway here and I'm finding a lot of patchwork and chip/tar out there right now.  

You should be cautious on rough roads.  If it's rough to the point where you are constantly dodging pot holes, I would not ride aero...it's not worth being a more aero if you are constantly out of balance or even crash.  Saftey first in my book...

x2 on this. I live in Turkey, and EVERY road is just patchwork, so I do not spend much time in aero position (though I have to say I do not have a tri-bike). With experience you should be able to ride in more aggressive positions. Give it some time.
2010-04-11 12:51 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
Thomasski - 2010-04-11 11:39 AM

Currently, I don't do any specific core work because swimming keeps my core relatively strong.  However, I feel that spending even an hour per week working on my core would help me improve.  That being said, this summer I want to greatly improve, and I plan on doing 20mins of core on my swim days.  I might end up doing something like this
2010-04-11 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2783344

Expert
Ann Arbor
RogerWilco - 2010-04-11 1:07 PM
tri808 - 2010-04-11 7:24 PM

x2 on this. I live in Turkey, and EVERY road is just patchwork, so I do not spend much time in aero position (though I have to say I do not have a tri-bike). With experience you should be able to ride in more aggressive positions. Give it some time.

I live in Michigan and I often got out of aero to navigate large stretches of potholes.

I just got back from a 50min ride.  I did 6x1'sprints w/ 2'r in the middle.  At first, my legs didn't feel recovered from yesterday's large workout but my legs felt responsive throughout the whole ride.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105