BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2010-06-05 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2772633

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full
I didn't puke, but didn't embarrass myself either.   Really happy with my effort and had fun.  Pretty proud of myself.!!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=211238&posts=1&start=1

2010-06-05 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Charlie - Congratulations! That's a great result. It took me a good solid year of running before I was able to complete a 5K in that time...you did so well!

As for the heat - I do okay with biking in the heat (I think moving through the air quickly enough keeps me cool), but I suffer on a hot run...so much so that even now (when the highs here are in the upper 60s to low 70s) I plan all of my runs for early morning. It is pretty humid here - so I am sure that has an impact.

The 10K for me is tomorrow (I had the wrong date in my calendar)...hoping for no rain (we got Charlie's thunderstorms here a few hours ago)...I plan on leaving it all on the course. Hope you all are having a great weekend!
2010-06-05 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Charlie,
Way to go! That is a great time, and you beat your goal as well.

I had a good race today too. I beat my PR at a local sprint course. Luckily, it was a short run-2.5 mile.
All my biking has paid off, but I need to get my run back on. And MAN, was it HOT. 
2010-06-05 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Thanks guys.

Good luck tomorrow Jennifer.  I am sure you will do awesome.

Nice race Eli!!
2010-06-05 5:23 PM

User image

NH
Awesome race Charlie!  That rocks that you hammered through.  5k is a tough distance.

Good job PR'ing Eli.  Always a good feeling.

And good luck Jennifer, finish strong.
2010-06-06 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Eli - that's fantastic! Great job...especially with the PR after spending so much time moving.

I did the race - it was drizzling turning into rain. The race report can be found here. I set a goal of finishing under an hour. The quickest I had run the course previously was 1:03 and I was able to finish in 57:23 - so I am very happy with the result.

Have a great weekend all!

2010-06-06 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Way to kick butt out there this weekend, teamies!! Good work everyone.

I am starting in with a Core Performance training plan but am slightly concerned about the lower level of cardio or EDS involved. Does anyone here know anything about the system and how it might affect race training? I don't see how to tailor the plan to a race date like my usual training plans.
2010-06-06 5:27 PM

User image

NH
I've never heard of Core Performance Jenna, so I can't comment on the plan.

Way to kick butt Jennifer, you've made amazing progress in such a short time.
2010-06-06 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2903813

User image

Master
Jennifer-Way to go! Nice PR!! I dream of running in the drizzle at this point!
Jenna, I am a fan of Core Performance. I have used the workouts from the Core Performance Endurance series and been very happy with the results.
However, I would say that is is really only enough for a spring distance type of effort, at least the workouts in the book. It is geared more towards the High Intensity, low volume, from what I can tell.

I REALLY like the core aspect and the "pre-hab" ideas. I don't know if they have more tri specific stuff, but I used the book and fit my other workouts in around it. It helped me avoid injury and stay strong. 
2010-06-06 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks, Eli. The plan I'm using has 6 one-hour workouts each week. These workouts contain small amounts of high-intensity EDS. Would you suggest following the plan and adding longer S/B/R sessions to it? Or just doing the core exercises in addition to a standard triathlon training plan?
2010-06-06 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Looks like our crew had a great weekend.  Congrats everybody!!  

Will be on business travel this week so it will be interesting trying to get my training in.  I just packed my bike though and I will be going to Newport,RI so there should be plenty of great riding available.  Gotta love the Y as well and their AWAY program.

2010-06-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2904115

User image

Master
trysprintolympic - 2010-06-06 8:51 PM Thanks, Eli. The plan I'm using has 6 one-hour workouts each week. These workouts contain small amounts of high-intensity EDS. Would you suggest following the plan and adding longer S/B/R sessions to it? Or just doing the core exercises in addition to a standard triathlon training plan?

Jenna, I would say it depends on when your goal race is. I would try it for 4-6 weeks to see how you like it.
I usually find that I have to switch up after that amount of time to keep myself motivated.

2010-06-07 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Hey all!  Thanks for all the good luck wishes for my aquabike this past weekend.  I am still trying to find some time to get caught up on the group and to post a race report but a quick summary - I finished 2nd in my age group (yes, cool but maybe not as impressive as it sounds since there were only 4 of us) but all the same, I could have been last.  I had some problems on the swim and ended up doggy paddling, backstroking for almost half of the swim.  Not sure what caused that  since I was not worried about the swim but became very winded and could not catch my breath.  It could  have been the sensation of the wetsuit on my throat.   Once I did catch my breath, I was worried about a fellow competitor who seemed to be struggling.  There was very little lifeguard support and the lifeguard in me kicked in.  I calmed him down and got him floating on his back before he sent me on my way and told me he was okay.  I still worried about him until he passed me on the bike.

My new bike was great and I was able to finish all 15.2 miles in just over an hour - farthest and fastest I have been able to do that.  Ironically the course was really flat so no coasting and constant pedaling. 

I am pleased with my performance and now know that I have to work on the swim more for my race in July.  I have decided to do that race as a relay since my shins are still bothering me.  I will focus on improving the swim and bike times over last year.  It was definitely not an easy decision to come to but for now think it is the right choice.   The cool part of this is that my husband's relay partner and I will be in the same swim wave and my husband and I will be out on the bike at the same time. 

Only other decision I have to make is whether to buy the wetsuit I rented from wetsuitrental.com.  It is the 2xu sc:2 sleeveless which retails for new at $200 but I can buy it for $130.  It cost me $65 to rent it each time, especially when I have to pay express shipping to get it last minute.  Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks and hoping to get caught up tomorrow evening since I have a meeting tonight.

2010-06-07 8:36 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
What a wonderful weekend team  mates!  A lot of morale boosting success!  Training works right?!

I was able to do my run today (1.5 mi. warmup, 5x800 at 9mm pace, and cool down) with very very little IT band pain.  The extra time in the weight room doing body weight squats and lunges, leg extensions and curls has helped immensely.  (thanks Eli).

I got a chance to volunteer at Ironman Kansas 70.3 this weekend, and what an experience!!  If you think you can't do a half ironman, think again, you can!  If you think you don't have the bike for it, well, only about half of the competitors had tri bikes and the rest were roadies.  There were professionals there, and there were people who walked the entire half marathon at the end of the race.  It was really cool to see the whole process and it will help me out a ton when I do the same race next year at this time!

Thanks for all of the inspires, they really lift my spirits!  I appreciate this team very much.
Dave.
2010-06-07 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2906652

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS

Only other decision I have to make is whether to buy the wetsuit I rented from wetsuitrental.com.  It is the 2xu sc:2 sleeveless which retails for new at $200 but I can buy it for $130.  It cost me $65 to rent it each time, especially when I have to pay express shipping to get it last minute.  Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks and hoping to get caught up tomorrow evening since I have a meeting tonight.

I was in the same boat.  I rented one for my first tri of the year and ended up not using it because the swim was canceled.  It was an xterra vortex that cost me 40 to rent and only another 60 to buy, so I am not as deep into it as you are, but it seemed to me to be almost a no-brainer.  I paid the extra without hesitation since I didn't even get to use it in a race.  I would vote for you to go ahead and pony up the extra rather than rent another one for your next race then face the same dillema, eventually you will end up buying one.  You can also get some return value via e-bay, craigslist or the classifieds here when you grow (shrink in my case) out of one, or pay it forward to some new triathlete like I plan to!
Dave.
2010-06-08 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2907001

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
outlawdave316 - 2010-06-07 9:41 AM

I was in the same boat.  I rented one for my first tri of the year and ended up not using it because the swim was canceled.  It was an xterra vortex that cost me 40 to rent and only another 60 to buy, so I am not as deep into it as you are, but it seemed to me to be almost a no-brainer.  I paid the extra without hesitation since I didn't even get to use it in a race.  I would vote for you to go ahead and pony up the extra rather than rent another one for your next race then face the same dillema, eventually you will end up buying one.  You can also get some return value via e-bay, craigslist or the classifieds here when you grow (shrink in my case) out of one, or pay it forward to some new triathlete like I plan to!
Dave.

I completely agree. If you can swing it - it's totally worth it to reduce the hassle-factor.

And CONGRATULATIONS! great job with your race.

Dave - I have considered volunteering at a HIM race this year just to get the lay of the land before next year (when I would like to attempt one for myself). Sounds like you had a great experience!

2010-06-08 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2907462

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-06-08 7:37 AM
outlawdave316 - 2010-06-07 9:41 AM

Dave.

I completely agree. If you can swing it - it's totally worth it to reduce the hassle-factor.

And CONGRATULATIONS! great job with your race.

Dave - I have considered volunteering at a HIM race this year just to get the lay of the land before next year (when I would like to attempt one for myself). Sounds like you had a great experience!

Thanks for the advice on the wetsuit.  I am going to buy it.   Now here's the twist- they sent me two suits since the first was shipped ground (despite my paying for second day) and was not guaranteed to arrive in time so I ended up with both suits.  One is brand new - first rental is mine and the second has been rented twice before me.  The new suit is mine for $160 and the used suit is mine for $130.  They look and fit exactly the same but which one do I buy.   Oh and by the way, I have no intention of outgrowing the suit - just hoping it outgrows me!  
2010-06-08 7:26 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I say save 30 bucks if the other one doesn't have any rips in it, and save the money to buy something else you can use.
2010-06-08 10:37 AM

User image

NH
Awesome race Randi!  And I'd agree with Dave on the suit.  If it's in great shape, save the $$$.  Whichever one you buy will be used soon enough anyway, right?
2010-06-08 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Wow, great news on the Auqabike.
I agree, go cheap if they both look good.

I am jealous of your volunteering Dave. I did a lot of volunteering at local races last year, but haven't managed any this year. I really enjoy it, as you get to see and get inspired by so much that you miss when you are racing.

2010-06-10 8:15 AM

User image

NH
Alright group, we're slipping here.  Don't make me come back there! 

Hope everyone's training is going well, injuries are coming around, and motivation stays high. 

I don't see any races planned this weekend, but there's a few next weekend, including my first of the year (and my son's first ever as well!).  Taper hard and get ready.

Edited by wbayek 2010-06-10 8:28 AM

2010-06-10 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Hey All,
Darn its HOT here in Boca.
My wife and I are trying to do 100 runs in 100 days. It has been fun, but also hard, to fit all the running in, especially with both of us trying to get in extra runs.
So, no races planned right now. However, we are thinking about our next ones.
Maybe June 20 for me? Not sure right now. 
2010-06-10 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Warren's right - how's everyone's motivation? Mine seems to be slipping for the first time in a very long time.

Jenna and I exchanged comments about the need for a lengthy warmup prior to the start of a swim. I have noticed if I just get in the water and start - I get very winded very quickly (similar to how my races have gone). If I take my time and warm up (at least 300m), then I feel like I can go forever. It seems challenging (at the least) to think that I need to do a warm up that is almost the entire distance of the swim (my first sprint's swim was 400m). Anyone else experience this? Also - if it is true that I need such a lengthy warm up - how do you handle the time between the warm up and the actual start of the race? Does the warm-up really make a difference if it is 15+ minutes before the actual start of the race?

Hope you all have a great weekend. It's the last day of school for the kids tomorrow and I am VERY glad the school year is over. I'm taking a half day off from work and taking the kids to the beach for the afternoon to celebrate. (And it's a rest day for me!)

Jennifer
2010-06-11 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2914548

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-06-10 8:17 PM Warren's right - how's everyone's motivation? Mine seems to be slipping for the first time in a very long time.

Jenna and I exchanged comments about the need for a lengthy warmup prior to the start of a swim. I have noticed if I just get in the water and start - I get very winded very quickly (similar to how my races have gone). If I take my time and warm up (at least 300m), then I feel like I can go forever. It seems challenging (at the least) to think that I need to do a warm up that is almost the entire distance of the swim (my first sprint's swim was 400m). Anyone else experience this? Also - if it is true that I need such a lengthy warm up - how do you handle the time between the warm up and the actual start of the race? Does the warm-up really make a difference if it is 15+ minutes before the actual start of the race?

Hope you all have a great weekend. It's the last day of school for the kids tomorrow and I am VERY glad the school year is over. I'm taking a half day off from work and taking the kids to the beach for the afternoon to celebrate. (And it's a rest day for me!)

Jennifer
Awesome time to get to the beach.  Hopefully it will warm up a litte.  Eli is baking, and we're in a relative deep freeze up here.  We still have a week to go before school ends.

I hadn't thought about that swimming warm up, but it's true.  My first 200 yards are totally a waste - it's like I have never swam before.  Then it seems to get smoother and I get into a groove.  I didn't do any swim warm up before the sprint last fall, so maybe I'll try to get in for some warm ups next week.
2010-06-12 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Looks like it's just you and me Warren!

Hopefully the rain will hold off in the mornings this weekend so I can fit some outdoor stuff in. I'd rather not have to ride the trainer or use the treadmill if I don't absolutely have to (going back to the Success in Triathlon blog - I should get out there anyway...but the family gets nervous).

I have been changing my swim stroke the last couple of weeks because of recommendations from my swim teacher - not so much crossover (more like paddling on a surf board) and getting the elbows and arms completely out of the water for each stroke...Getting those new pathways embedded has made for some VERY sore muscles. I'll be really glad when my body has figured all of this out and I can go back to just being a little sore from a good workout. Anyone else see this happen when you change things up? Maybe changing the fit on your bike, your running stride or swim stroke?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  

of 25