BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-05-27 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2885158

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
dajotkjo - 2010-05-27 6:58 AM Now that's motivation: on vacation and still finding ways to get your workout sessions done.  Did the moss and seaweed taste good Foot in mouth

Well, I guess it's one way of cutting out the middle man if you want to eat a macrobiotic diet or something. 

Just a driveby ??"h???????????iya??" ??t?o? H???ilde's ?a?m?a?z?i?n?g? ?g?r?o?u?p??????

Since I've already checked out of work mentally, what's everyone have on the docket this weekend?  Anything fun or interesting?  I need to live vicariously through others. 

2010-05-27 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2885511

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
We have a couple of racers this weekend... let's give them some tri love, MMM style!  Janet (jcarmody) has a MARATHON (this means huge F'in long @$$ run to the rest of us), and Jen McConnell has her second sprint tri in a week!!  I know they will both make us proud,

GO GIRLS GO!!!!

2010-05-27 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2884967

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: ---
dajotkjo - 2010-05-26 10:04 PM Hi Everyone,

I'M BACK!!!!  I want to thank you all for your concern over my tumble.  You are all such a great group!!!  I was in a mentor group in the previous cycle and the experience was very different.  I think it's wonderful how we motivate each other.  Hilde, you are a hoot and I LOVE your gentle kicks in the tuckus.  A big cyber hug to you all!

My first tri is a little over one week away.  I've done the race distances in simulation.  I just have to control the sick feeling in my stomach that comes when I think about the race Foot in mouth 

Denise, you've done the training, now have confidence that you will do just fine in your race!!!  Just savor the experience, think it through in the days leading up... how will you come out of the water and get to transition, step by step to getting off on your bike, how the wind will feel on your wet body as you bike and pass people, then getting off your bike, back to transition, bike stuff off, run stuff on and off you go... last leg, worst thing that can happen is you'll have to walk (don't worry, I've had to walk in just about ALL of mine and I've still made the podium, go figure?!), visualize crossing that finish line, music blaring, people cheering, the announcer saying your name and knowing that you DID it!!!!  I think the race itself will be much easier than thinking about what's gonna happen.... once I hit the water I'm in race mode and the nervousness goes away.  Oh, and they make porta-potties for nervousness, haha!
2010-05-27 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hey folks it's interesting how we all get nervous before an event.  Even though we're not in it for anything but personal satisfaction.  Here I am sitting at work (don't tell) and my stomach is in knots.  I keep running to the bathroom and for what?  This is my 8th (count 'em) marathon and I am still worried.  Of course that I can do the distance, because I've done them.  So then why am I so nervous?  My husband had an interesting observation when I was discussing this with him the other night.  His thought is that for some reason I find the need to keep pushing myself outside of my comfort zone.  I guess all of us have some of that "push" in us or we wouldn't put ourselves through everything we do.  Anyway, have a good weekend (mine starts in about 5 minutes!)

Janet
2010-05-27 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2885793

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: ---
hildekq - 2010-05-27 11:17 AM
dajotkjo - 2010-05-26 10:04 PM Hi Everyone,

I'M BACK!!!!  I want to thank you all for your concern over my tumble.  You are all such a great group!!!  I was in a mentor group in the previous cycle and the experience was very different.  I think it's wonderful how we motivate each other.  Hilde, you are a hoot and I LOVE your gentle kicks in the tuckus.  A big cyber hug to you all!

My first tri is a little over one week away.  I've done the race distances in simulation.  I just have to control the sick feeling in my stomach that comes when I think about the race Foot in mouth 

Denise, you've done the training, now have confidence that you will do just fine in your race!!!  Just savor the experience, think it through in the days leading up... how will you come out of the water and get to transition, step by step to getting off on your bike, how the wind will feel on your wet body as you bike and pass people, then getting off your bike, back to transition, bike stuff off, run stuff on and off you go... last leg, worst thing that can happen is you'll have to walk (don't worry, I've had to walk in just about ALL of mine and I've still made the podium, go figure?!), visualize crossing that finish line, music blaring, people cheering, the announcer saying your name and knowing that you DID it!!!!  I think the race itself will be much easier than thinking about what's gonna happen.... once I hit the water I'm in race mode and the nervousness goes away.  Oh, and they make porta-potties for nervousness, haha!

I thought they made wetsuits for the nervousness, not portapotties.  Tongue out

Hilde and Janet are right.  I, admittedly, continually struggle with this and for what reason?  I know I'm not going to win, but I also have put in enough time to know I'm not going to completely fail.  I just have to take the attitude that I am going to do the best that I can and to enjoy the experience.  Just by starting the race, I'm way ahead of most other people I know.  That's got to count for something.

Okay, I'll admit it, my ego is such that I don't want to finish last either...  Embarassed

2010-05-27 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

One other piece of advice that my first mentor group gave me that helps:  Smile throughout your race and be sure to thank the volunteers.  I ignored that during my first race and followed it during my second and third.  As much as I want to make everything work, I'm out there racing for fun so now I try to show it.  It made my laters races much more enjoyable (as a bonus, I had some volunteers cheering for me at the end too).

2010-05-27 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
*joins in cheering on our racers for the weekend*

Go, girls go!! Y'all are AMAZING, and will ROCK those races!!

Most importantly, have fun! *cheers madly*
2010-05-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2886056

User image

Extreme Veteran
GOOD LUCK this weekend, racers!!

Janet, whenever you get nervous, just look back over your training logs. You've put in the miles, the hours, the sweat- that was the hard part! Now all you have to do is execute! You've got this! 

2010-05-28 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
GO MMM racers GO!

Denise - as for the seeweed/moss - it wasn't tto tasty, a but slimy but maybe there is some good nutritional value in it to offset the other stuff my mom is feeing me - LOL! (White chocolate pina collada's anyone?)! I'm headed out for another OWS this afternoon - see if I can steer AROUND the seeweed a bit!

Nerves before a race? I agree with Hilde on visulaizing the different parts of the race. Remember that focusing on what hurts or what is hard or what you dread coming next is sure to set you up for a less than stellar personal performance - you've done the training, you KNOW you can do it...JUST DO IT! I get nervoous too but I try to use that as another form of energy - plug into that and put it into action!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
2010-05-29 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend! *more cheering for the MMM racers*

Just a quick note-- I'm leaving for the long drive to California tomorrow (first stop: Joplin, MO), and am hoping to get at least a quick run in at each stop along the way-- bonus if the hotels have pools, but I'm not holding my breath. I should have email access while I'm gone, so will try to log in when I can; if I'm out of contact for a couple of days, though, it's 'cause I'm driving, not 'cause I don't love you all any more, honest!

Enjoy your respective Memorial Days!

Alex
2010-05-29 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2890272

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi all! I am also going to be traveling this week- flying east tomorrow, a day in ATL then up to Tennessee to visit with the in-laws. They live on a lake, so I'm taking my swim stuff and hoping for warm temperatures! Plus as much running as my knees can take. I may not be near a computer all week, but I'll be thinking of ya'll! Have an MMM-tastic week!

2010-05-30 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2890481

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Congrats to Jen McConnell, she ROCKED her race yesterday!!!  Still waiting to hear from Janet, I'm sure she blew it away!
2010-05-30 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
OK folks, sorry to keep you all guessing.   Total time was 4:13:37 (which translates to a pace of 9:40 /mile).  I probably went out too fast and paid a bit for it on the back part of the couse.  It was pretty hot for me at the start it was mid 60's and warmed to the low 80's by the end.  I had problems keeping the water down and was fighting an upset stomach from about mile 14.  Overall 836/1497, Female 249/598 and in my AG 15/50.  I'm happy with the results because I finished and because it was in tough conditions for me. 

Last year I wasn't in as good a shape and finished in 4:10 so I guess I am a bit dissapointed in my performance.  But that is the interesting thing about this sort of thing, each time is different, you really can't compare from year to year.   When I reached the 1/2 way point I promised myself this would be my last marathon, I'm now planning on what I will do differently next year. 

And now on to the triathlon! 
2010-05-30 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2891131

User image

Veteran
WAY TO GO! You're SO right - every race is different - there's no telling how you'll feel, what the weather will bring, and whether or not you ever "hit your groove" GREAT JOB!!!

I got in a 5.5 mile run and a 1.5 mile lake swim yesterday Nothing yet today, too busy socializing but, maybe later....we'll see what the day brings! Tomorrow I travel back to NH with the kids so there will be no exercise session tomorrpw but, back at it on Tuesday for sure - hopefully the weather will coooperate for a bike ride.
2010-05-30 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2881982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2010-05-25 8:03 PM
wsilverthorne - 2010-05-25 12:36 PM   Funny thought... this airport is so big I could strap on my Garmin and run 3 miles inside... problem being no shower afterward...

Oh, I've actually done that! A few years ago I had schedules that regularly gave me 3-4 hours of "airport appreciation time," so I'd change into my workout gear and either go for a run outside (there's a golf course at SLC I'd run around), or run the stairs in a secluded corner! Afterwards I'd take a cat bath in the restroom sink! Pretty weird, I know, but it was the only opportunity for a workout, and it made me feel better than sitting around. 

Have you seen those workout wipes? -Like HandiWipes, only you pretty much take a bath with them. Might be a good thing to stash in the suitcase! I hope you have a nice trip to England. I'm jealous- I only get to go to Tennessee!

Turtle, LMAO... you actually did that... or still do that.  I'll have to take a look into the HandiWipes - I was very close to doing something.. I was so so bored and thinking about the time I'm wasting.  I'll have to bring a throw away shirt too - I wouldn't want to smell that thing after being in a plastic bag for a day.. ugh....I'll trade you Tennessee for England any day!!!  I've made the trip enough - I'm over it.  I have to go back June 14th for a week and I'll probably rendezvous with my wife since she'll be in Europe the week prior.  We're thinking about Venice, Rome or Barcelona for a long weekend.... not sure yet.  My mother-in-law will watch our monsters on our overlap.   Thanks for the airport support!! 
2010-05-30 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2882242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
wrkinprogress - 2010-05-25 10:37 PM
wsilverthorne - 2010-05-25 2:36 PM I'm absolutely board sitting at the Atlanta airport for 6 hours until I leave for England. I don't leave till 7:00PM EST tonight. I spent last evening playing with the kiddos in the pool. My 5 year old son is really accelerating his swim. So last night, in TRI style, I introduced him to bilateral breathing. I figure he may be able to use that skill sometime in his life! It was pretty funny to show him and then try to help him with body position and breathing. He seems to naturally breathe on the left side? Weird, he's right handed???? So I'll keep practicing with him... who knows - someday he may run a Tri with Dad... That would be so very very cool. Which means I need to keep in shape and be prepared for that day. My twin girls will be next...I think of the three, Katie will be the athlete..So fun watching and learning as they grow. Okay time to move to from this restaurant to another before they kick me out for drinking ice water instead of beer.....no beer today - gunna save up for a "proper" pint in England tomorrow. Funny thought... this airport is so big I could strap on my Garmin and run 3 miles inside... problem being no shower afterward... the person next to me on the plane would have to suffer severely...so I'd better not. Would be pretty funny being a sweaty mess... maybe I could get all three seats across the middle for a nap... maybe a good plan afterall. Later... gunna do some people watching and swim goggle research....

Have a wonderful time in England! I was there for 3 months last summer-- where are you going to be? Have a pint for me too, would you? Laughing

Three months in England!  Good for you - it's a great opportunity to see Europe since the airfares are so cheap!  I've had the opportunity to stay extended a few time, but passed.  I'll be in Derby which is the very center of England. Between Manchester and Birmingham - right next to Nottingham.  I don't care much for Derby, but like other cities in England so so much better.  I had the chance to stay in Torbay on the southern coast for a week preparing a sailboat for an around the world race... that was an awesome little fishing village!!! Where were you?  Hopefully a better location than Derby!!  

2010-05-30 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2885001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
PTWykes - 2010-05-26 11:24 PM Hey! I'm in Arkansas visitnmg my mon but the kids are in bed so I thought I'd pop in to say HI! I got in a 3ish mile run (no garmin) followed by a 1.5ish mile OWS in the lake - it was good. Swimming the lake is certainly different than in the pool! I am a good, experienced swimmer and about 200 yards or so into it I had a moment of panic because I couldn't get the timing of my stroke an breathing coorinated - it was strange. Once I chilled out I was fine and was able to do about 1.5 miles without trouble other than inhaling some moss/seewead! LOL!. I'll be sure to get a few more OWS's in while I'm here - taking full advantage of access to the lake!

Hope you all continue to have a great training week - I'll check back in when I can!

Wow Marsha.... a 1.5 mile OWS swim, that is awesome.  Just to make you feel better I feel that panic about every time I get in the pool haha.  Glad your able to mix it up while on vacation - enjoy the time with the family!!
2010-06-01 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone! How's the week going? I'm glad to be back home and settling back into my routine - tomorrow I'll really be back in the groove with my early AM workout - YIPPEE! I managed a late 3.1 mile run tonight (I'm so NOT a night time runner - I can't seem to find my groove) before it got dark. I am volunteering at a TRI this coming weekend - working at the T1 area...can't wait to watch it all in action so I can feel more like I know what I'm supposed to be doing when it's my turn! I have to check in at 4:30am and it's about 1.5 hours from here - YIKES!

Here's a quote to live by as you hammer out some training this week..."pain is weakness leaving the body"!
2010-06-02 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2895535

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Lots of busy people in the MMM group these days... lots of travelling, but still lots of GOOD training going on.  Lots of races coming up in the next few weeks too!!  Keep it up guys and gals, you are all doing SO well with everything!
2010-06-02 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
OK gang, I think I've put together a plan for some events this summer.  Haven't pulled the trigger but I've found 3 sprints (June, July, August) and an Oly in September.  Gotta look at my checking account balance before I sign up.  I was really taken back by the $$.  Guess I'm used to $20.00 running events.  Anyway, I'm feeling better already! 
2010-06-03 4:55 AM
in reply to: #2897524

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
No LIE about the race fees!!  Running is WAY cheaper.... I've checked out some races I've wanted to do and been scared away by the cost.  No WAY am I going to pay almost $100 for a sprint!  I try and stick to the ones that are around $60 if I can.  The larger the race, the bigger the cost it seems.

2010-06-03 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2898200

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
hildekq - 2010-06-03 5:55 AM No LIE about the race fees!!  Running is WAY cheaper.... I've checked out some races I've wanted to do and been scared away by the cost.  No WAY am I going to pay almost $100 for a sprint!  I try and stick to the ones that are around $60 if I can.  The larger the race, the bigger the cost it seems.

I'm jealous that you even have races in the $60 range.  Like everything else in NYC and Long Island, ours are much more expensive. 

Go for it Janet - you'll do great!

2010-06-03 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2898535

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Ah yes, Shawn... California probably has spensy ones too... I have a local one coming up for $55... went up from $40 last year.  Real estate in your area is off the hook!!!  My parents bought a house in 1968 for 42,000 and I bet it's going for around $600,000 these days!
2010-06-03 10:16 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Everyone,

The Johnson Clan will be heading up to Lake Lanier tomorrow afternoon for my first tri on Sat morning.  I will be going without the laptop and we'll be back on Sun.  I've gone through a dress rehearsal with all my gear to make sure that I've got everything packed.  The bike is loaded and ready to go. I'll check in on Sun and give everyone the update.  I do want to thank you all for your inspires; it really helps.

Have a great weekend! 
2010-06-03 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2900328

User image

Good luck, Denise!  I am sure you will do well!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41