of 21

2010-06-16 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2925672

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!
acv - 2010-06-16 12:58 PM

Race nutrition?

My sprint is coming up in a few weeks and I’ve researched this so I kind of know what the general consensus is but I figured I might as well ask here. I didn’t have any nutrition plan last year and after the race I felt like I should have “fueled up” on the bike so I’d have a little extra energy for the run. Most people have said that for a sprint it’s not necessary to worry about taking in calories during the race. While this may be true I feel since this is something that I don’t do very often and have only done once before that a little extra energy boost might benefit me.

I’ve used energy gels, cliff bars and energy drinks in the past and I have my favorites. I started using gels (1 gel per ride or run) on my longer training sessions recently to get used to using them and make sure my body is comfortable with them during these types of activities. It makes the last few miles go a little easier Smile so it’s been fine - no stomach problems and easy to ingest.

My plan is to have 1 or 2 GU gels during the bike ride. I might do one at the start of the bike leg and one near the end of the bike leg. Any advice on what’s a good a time during the race to use them and what’s been your experiences using them during a race?

PS Last year I stopped at the aid station on the run for an energy drink and after the race I thought that was such a waste of time. The aid station was 1.5 miles into the run, I only had 2 more miles to go so I don’t think it was of any benefit to me just wasted time.

Looking forward to the replies on this one.  I've been trying GU, can't stand it. I'm very picky and the idea of ingesting gel just doesn't sit well with me.  It's fine on the stomach, but can't stand it in my mouth.  I did order the GU Brew electrolyte drinks(which I really like) for in my water bottles on my bike.  Now, I hjsut have to practice drinking and riding? 

ALso - To add to the question, how do you keep stuff cold at the transition area?  Freeze it the night before, insulated bottles?  Cooler at T1, grab and go?!? 

2010-06-16 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2925693

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
DaisyzMom - 2010-06-16 1:03 PM

Race nutrition?

My sprint is coming up in a few weeks and I’ve researched this so I kind of know what the general consensus is but I figured I might as well ask here. I didn’t have any nutrition plan last year and after the race I felt like I should have “fueled up” on the bike so I’d have a little extra energy for the run. Most people have said that for a sprint it’s not necessary to worry about taking in calories during the race. While this may be true I feel since this is something that I don’t do very often and have only done once before that a little extra energy boost might benefit me.

I’ve used energy gels, cliff bars and energy drinks in the past and I have my favorites. I started using gels (1 gel per ride or run) on my longer training sessions recently to get used to using them and make sure my body is comfortable with them during these types of activities. It makes the last few miles go a little easier Smile so it’s been fine - no stomach problems and easy to ingest.

My plan is to have 1 or 2 GU gels during the bike ride. I might do one at the start of the bike leg and one near the end of the bike leg. Any advice on what’s a good a time during the race to use them and what’s been your experiences using them during a race?

PS Last year I stopped at the aid station on the run for an energy drink and after the race I thought that was such a waste of time. The aid station was 1.5 miles into the run, I only had 2 more miles to go so I don’t think it was of any benefit to me just wasted time.

Looking forward to the replies on this one.  I've been trying GU, can't stand it. I'm very picky and the idea of ingesting gel just doesn't sit well with me.  It's fine on the stomach, but can't stand it in my mouth.  I did order the GU Brew electrolyte drinks(which I really like) for in my water bottles on my bike.  Now, I hjsut have to practice drinking and riding? 

ALso - To add to the question, how do you keep stuff cold at the transition area?  Freeze it the night before, insulated bottles?  Cooler at T1, grab and go?!? 

Carly have you tried the cliff blocks? They are more like gummy candy. You have to chew them but it might work for you.

I don't worry too much about having cold drinks, warm drinks seem to be better for my stomach. As long as they are not hot than I don't mind. I throw a handful of ice into my bottles and leave it at that.
2010-06-16 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2925718

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
acv - 2010-06-16 12:13 PM
DaisyzMom - 2010-06-16 1:03 PM

Race nutrition?

Carly have you tried the cliff blocks? They are more like gummy candy. You have to chew them but it might work for you.

I don't worry too much about having cold drinks, warm drinks seem to be better for my stomach. As long as they are not hot than I don't mind. I throw a handful of ice into my bottles and leave it at that.

Agree with the cliff blocks, but I like the GU because it digests quickly. I use one 15 minutes prior to the swim and usually about 10 miles into the bike ride. If its an olympic distance, then I have another during the run if i feel i am dragging, but usually I keep a bottle of accelerade in T2 and chug a quick few gulps to get me going.

As for the temp of liquids, i prefer them warm, and actually its my understanding the body will digest/accept room temp/warmer liquids quicker than colder ones. Also, I have found i dont really have time to think about it being cold or not, just looking for wet and refreshing.

As for the pre race meal, i usually have a cliff bar, water and some low acid fruit (apple, grapes, banana). I try to get up several hours before a race so that i have time to complete all of my morning tasks.  
2010-06-16 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2780242

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

To Carly's question.  For especially hot race days, I have frozen bottles before placing them in transition.  Be careful, though - in one race, my bottle was still frozen when I got on the bike, so I couldn't drink it.   Better a warm drink than a frozen one, I guess - live and learn!    You might want to just use ice cubes unless it is really going to heat up prior to you being on the bike and you're definitely sure it will melt.  Insulated bottles can also be a good idea.

To Adam's question - the biggest nutrition mistake one can make in a sprint is taking in something that your body is unfamilar with - and having your body not like it or taking in too much and ending up bloated and miserable.    You really shouldn't have to worry too much about taking in too much for a sprint.  Make sure you eat a decent breakfast - something that agrees with you - and that energy should be pretty sufficient for a sprint distance.   Drink water on the bike (staying hydrated is the most important consideration) or maybe some sports drink, which would give you a few more calories and energy, as well as keeping you hydrated.  Taking in a couple of gels on the bike along with some water can also be done if you find your energy levels flagging. 

That should do you for most sprints.  Some sprints, however, are more challenging and may require a little more consideration to nutrition.  If that's your case, you might consider a little more sports drink or a gel or two.  (For longer distances, there are other products and strategies that can be discussed, but that's a different discussion for another day)

Many beginners - myself included! - overthink nutrition for short races.  Chances are, you more than cover the distances in your training, and have trained for longer periods than your race will cover.  Stick to what you did during training.  I found that the closer I used to get to race day, the more I had a tendency to overthink things because I had a lot of nervous excitement/anxiety and I was excited about the race.  It's natural - and sometimes referred to as 'taper madness'.  You might also have a strong impulse to go out shopping for a new piece of gear or equipment - that STILL happens to me. 

Embrace it and indulge it a little - it's new, fun, and exciting - just steer clear of crossing the line into sabotaging yourself.

2010-06-16 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

To add to what Dave said - Clif Blocks and similar products (Sharkies, Luna Gels) and others, are a good substitute for pouch gels, don't melt, and are more palatable for some than gels.  I have also used Sport Beans, which I like.

2010-06-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2925757

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-06-16 1:28 PM

To Carly's question.  For especially hot race days, I have frozen bottles before placing them in transition.  Be careful, though - in one race, my bottle was still frozen when I got on the bike, so I couldn't drink it.   Better a warm drink than a frozen one, I guess - live and learn!    You might want to just use ice cubes unless it is really going to heat up prior to you being on the bike and you're definitely sure it will melt.  Insulated bottles can also be a good idea.

To Adam's question - the biggest nutrition mistake one can make in a sprint is taking in something that your body is unfamilar with - and having your body not like it or taking in too much and ending up bloated and miserable.    You really shouldn't have to worry too much about taking in too much for a sprint.  Make sure you eat a decent breakfast - something that agrees with you - and that energy should be pretty sufficient for a sprint distance.   Drink water on the bike (staying hydrated is the most important consideration) or maybe some sports drink, which would give you a few more calories and energy, as well as keeping you hydrated.  Taking in a couple of gels on the bike along with some water can also be done if you find your energy levels flagging. 

That should do you for most sprints.  Some sprints, however, are more challenging and may require a little more consideration to nutrition.  If that's your case, you might consider a little more sports drink or a gel or two.  (For longer distances, there are other products and strategies that can be discussed, but that's a different discussion for another day)

Many beginners - myself included! - overthink nutrition for short races.  Chances are, you more than cover the distances in your training, and have trained for longer periods than your race will cover.  Stick to what you did during training.  I found that the closer I used to get to race day, the more I had a tendency to overthink things because I had a lot of nervous excitement/anxiety and I was excited about the race.  It's natural - and sometimes referred to as 'taper madness'.  You might also have a strong impulse to go out shopping for a new piece of gear or equipment - that STILL happens to me. 

Embrace it and indulge it a little - it's new, fun, and exciting - just steer clear of crossing the line into sabotaging yourself.

Taper Madness - Thats perfect! Thats what I have. OMG I'm mad with taper HAHAHAHA

2010-06-16 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2925757

User image

Regular

I know extended forecasts are extremely unpredictable but 92 sunny and humid!  I don't think I'll have to worry about the bottles being frozen after my mile swim, and leaving the transition area!

I LOVE this group!  It's been very helpful and I appreciate all of the words of wisdom and the encouraging atmosphere of the group. 

2010-06-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2925962

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
DaisyzMom - 2010-06-16 2:34 PM

I LOVE this group!  It's been very helpful and I appreciate all of the words of wisdom and the encouraging atmosphere of the group. 

+1 Cool
2010-06-17 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Post your tips!

So here are a few tips I found along the way. I thought it might be a good thread if everyone posted a few tips that they’ve learned along the way. These are just random tips if we get enough of them I’ll organize them.

1.)    Want more speed on your bike – check your tire pressure at least once a week maybe more.

2.)    Check the Velcro closure on your wetsuit to make sure it’s not rubbing on your neck.

3.)    Body glide is your friend - don’t leave home without it.

4.)    Practice looking up and sighting during you OWS’s if it’s rough this can be hard to do come race day practice it

5.)    Hot & humid out - try jogging at night at the track – it’s a good change of pace and sometimes it’s cooler and less humid.

6.)    Practice mounting and dismounting your bike as you would in a race every time you ride.

2010-06-17 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
My tip right now....... Don't get the summer flu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2010-06-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2923418

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Tapering?

Next week is my last building week before I start to taper at least according to my plan. Last year I did a 1 week taper but honestly my training this has been much more consistent and more training in general. I’m having a hard time gauging from what I did last year to this year.

Is a 2 week taper “normal” or do you only taper for 1 week? What do you recommend?

2010-06-18 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2930528

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-06-18 10:54 AM

Tapering?

Next week is my last building week before I start to taper at least according to my plan. Last year I did a 1 week taper but honestly my training this has been much more consistent and more training in general. I’m having a hard time gauging from what I did last year to this year.

Is a 2 week taper “normal” or do you only taper for 1 week? What do you recommend?

For a sprint, you shouldn't need to do much in terms of tapering - certainly not two weeks.  The week before, you might want to reduce your volume a little and make the efforts a little more intense (especially considering you've been building for a few weeks).  The day before, I find a very short bike/run brick is good (15-20 minutes on the bike and 10-20 minute run).  It gives you a safety check for the bike and also gives you a practice T1. 

2010-06-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2930771

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-06-18 3:54 PM

acv - 2010-06-18 10:54 AM

Tapering?

For a sprint, you shouldn't need to do much in terms of tapering - certainly not two weeks.  The week before, you might want to reduce your volume a little and make the efforts a little more intense (especially considering you've been building for a few weeks).  The day before, I find a very short bike/run brick is good (15-20 minutes on the bike and 10-20 minute run).  It gives you a safety check for the bike and also gives you a practice T1. 

Thanks Brian thats what my gut was telling me. I don't do well with breaks during my training and thought 2 weeks seemed a little excessive.

Guess that gives me another week of building! Which works out perfect for my plan of 3 weeks building 1 week recovery so in this case the week prior to the race is a recovery week. That should work out nicely.

Time to modify that plan again Embarassed

Edited by acv 2010-06-18 3:27 PM
2010-06-21 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Well, I completed my first Olympic distance triathlon this past weekend, went ok, but am finding a lot of things i am not happy with, and coming up with a lot of questions. It was very hot and humid, I had a swim start time of 8:36 and was already 85 degrees with 70%+ humidity, the swim was a rectangle with buoys on the right, it went pretty smooth and got into a rhythm quickly. Didn't swim as quickly as i wanted but it gives me something to work on for my next event. T1 was much better this time, but the area was very packed and since the sprint tri went before us, my area was a wreck once i got there, not at all happy.

I figured i would make up some time on the bike, but had a mini asthma attack in the lower section by the lake dam and had to slow down for several miles to recover. Once i recovered i had about 7 miles into a pretty brisk wind with a lot of hills. I finally got into a long straight section with very small hills, was able to average over 21mph for the last 10 miles or so. Only averaged 17.3 or so, about 3 to 4mph slower than my training pace, much less my race pace, I guess fortunately i didn't know those numbers since i forgot to start my Garmin, since i would have tried to make up on the run.

T2 was much better but still too slow, really need to work on my transitions. Got going on the run, it was about 94 degrees at this point with 90% humidity. We ran along the lake shore and could see some clouds building, but they looked to be a ways away. I had trouble getting started and in hindsight it wasn't physical, but strictly mental. I let all my mistakes from the day haunt me, spent a lot of time analyzing and trying to fix them, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID! what was i going to fix then?!?!? This made me start to doubt myself and question my ability, and to add to it, every time i stopped my thighs started to cramp, guess it was a sign to get my A%$ moving! I got about 3.5 or so miles into the run when the wind started, i am assumed a 20 to 30 mph gust (found out later upward of 55 to 60!) and about 10 minutes later the rain came, the size of golf balls. Got soaked and was freezing but at this point was about 5 miles into it and not quitting. My shoes got soaked and stretched the laces, so ankles and insteps were bleeding by the time i finished, but i finished! 

When i got back to transition i found my transition bag bull of water, by bike shoes and wet suit had floated to the curb, and the wind blew my bike over. The food vendor was gone and all they had left was some water and coke's, went with the water. Packed up all my wet clothes, found my buddy and we went home. 

All in all it was a great event, great RD, great organizer. I am very please with the fact that i finished, and refuse to accept this as the end. I have a lot to work toward and cant wait to do it again! I will also add however, and maybe some of you can help, I felt sick all day, very nauseated and gassy. the only thing i can think of is that about 2 weeks ago i switched to accelerade, and haven't had any issues using it during training, but not sure if  race day stress added to the discomfort. The only other thing i did was that i had cereal w/ 1% milk for breakfast at 3:35am instead of my standard oatmeal. Any suggestions are welcome. 

thanks for all the inspires, advice and kudos! love the group and hope everyone had a good weekend of racing, training or whatever. 

race link is here - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=213939

2010-06-21 2:28 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Wanted to see what everyone is using gear wise, specifically running shoes. I am using New Balance 760's but i run sockless and after this last weekend think i need to find something geared toward sockless running. Has anyone tried the K-Swiss or Zoot running shoes? 
2010-06-21 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Dave:  Congratulations on your first Olympic!!!  It sounds like it was  really tough day out there withthe conditions.  It looks like you learned a lot with the experience - that's awesome - every race - especially the first at a given distance - should give you some things to take away and apply to your next one.  For me, it's normal to get to a place where I start to question myself - the 'dark place', I call it - over time, I have learned what things I need to tell myself to work through it.  Even so, I still have races where I lose my mental focus when my body starts getting tired.  Given the conditions, I am sure you weren't the only one struggling out there.  Mentally, there have been occasions where a bad swim haunted me on the bike or run a couple of hours later.  Experience helps with that.

I'm not sure, but your queasiness may not have been due to the product you were using, but the conditions.  In that heat and humidity, it is difficult to keep cool and hydrated.  That has upset my stomach on a few occasions, and it took me a couple of years of racing just to get myself to drink enough - it sounds so simple, but I would tend to get distracted and fall off my plan.  Use your long training sessions to work on nutrition and hydration, especially in similar conditions to race day.  All things considered, even after a tough day, it sounds like it was overall good experience, and you're looking forward to your next one - very cool!  It's that quest for the perfect race, where everything falls in place, that keeps us coming back.  Once again, congratulations on a big milestone!!   

By the way, I am not sure what shoes might be good for sockless running, but K-Swiss and Zoot are possibilities

Edited by BHannahs 2010-06-21 3:14 PM

2010-06-22 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2935013

User image

Regular
Dave - Congrats on your first Oly.  That's awesome!  And some serious winf to deal with to boot!  Way to go.

Gear -  I'm running sockless in my ascics.  I know they are specifially designed for it, but I only had on little trouble spot. 

I went on a group ride last night, and at one point I was up in the front.  I didn't mean to be, and certainly couldn't hold that pace, but I was coming up from the rear, and the front of packers had stopped and were calling clear as we came around, so I went with it.  I lost momentum on the next uphill.  Boy was it a hilly ride.   
2010-06-22 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Dave - good job on your first oylmpic distance tri.  I too completed my first olympic tri this pass weekend.  My story, I smiled at the finish line.  That was my goal.  For me it was pacing, spinning & not kill my self before the run.  I think what help was the nutrition/hyrdration.  I had a gel shot before the swim, and two bottle (water & perpetuem)for the bike.  I made myself drink during the ride.  And one more gel shot at the 3 mile mark.  I'll get my race report posted as soon as I can.

Thank you all for the advise, inspires, & comments. 
2010-06-22 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Dave,

WOW an Oly nice job that’s a big notch on your race belt – congratulations!

I would bet most of why you felt ill was due to the condition and some of it may have been due to not taking in enough calories or fluids. I’ve seen this before hiking with friends. At the end of the day they physically spent and I know some of it’s due to being partially dehydrated. You also said it was hot and humid at the start and then you were freezing during your run after the rain started. Your body is just not meant to do this. Partially dehydration, extreme weather shifts and high physical output yeah you might feel a little off at the end of the day – tell why do we do this again Surprised

I’ve tried to run without socks and I couldn’t do it. I use nike air moto’s and I sized them for use with socks. I use fairly thin under armour socks. For my bike I use an older model shimano tri shoe TR 50 and I don’t wear socks but I also bought a slightly smaller size shoe than I would normally wear since I didn't plan to use socks. My only issue with not wearing socks with my bike shoes has been cold feet. Those shoes are great for tri’s with all the mesh and drain holes but they do tend to cool my feet off.

2010-06-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2936462

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
utahrunner - 2010-06-22 10:35 AM Dave - good job on your first oylmpic distance tri.  I too completed my first olympic tri this pass weekend.  My story, I smiled at the finish line.  That was my goal.  For me it was pacing, spinning & not kill my self before the run.  I think what help was the nutrition/hyrdration.  I had a gel shot before the swim, and two bottle (water & perpetuem)for the bike.  I made myself drink during the ride.  And one more gel shot at the 3 mile mark.  I'll get my race report posted as soon as I can.

Congrats as well on your first olympic, hope the weather was a little more cooperative for you and look forward to seeing your race report. The nutrition and hydration thing is tough to nail down, but to be honest I have been using Gatorade (half or whats called for) and GU without any issues, so i am pretty sure i will go back to them. I know a lot of these events supply other products "HEED", "Hammer" etc. so think i should just stay with what i know and leave the experimentation till the off season.  I will say that it felt as if i almost drank too much, but didn't want to take a chance of finding out the hard way. 
2010-06-22 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2936465

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
acv - 2010-06-22 10:37 AM

Dave,

I would bet most of why you felt ill was due to the condition and some of it may have been due to not taking in enough calories or fluids. I’ve seen this before hiking with friends. At the end of the day they physically spent and I know some of it’s due to being partially dehydrated. You also said it was hot and humid at the start and then you were freezing during your run after the rain started. Your body is just not meant to do this. Partially dehydration, extreme weather shifts and high physical output yeah you might feel a little off at the end of the day – tell why do we do this again Surprised

I’ve tried to run without socks and I couldn’t do it. I use nike air moto’s and I sized them for use with socks. I use fairly thin under armour socks. For my bike I use an older model shimano tri shoe TR 50 and I don’t wear socks but I also bought a slightly smaller size shoe than I would normally wear since I didn't plan to use socks. My only issue with not wearing socks with my bike shoes has been cold feet. Those shoes are great for tri’s with all the mesh and drain holes but they do tend to cool my feet off.

I also have some very thin socks specifically for running but find they are very difficult to manage in transition and that they get soaked in sweat when running. I am getting a lot of good returns on the zoot running shoes so going to the local shop to check them out. If i go with a pair i will definitely let you guys know how they perform and what i think.  

2010-06-22 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2936696

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-06-22 1:15 PM
acv - 2010-06-22 10:37 AM

Dave,

I also have some very thin socks specifically for running but find they are very difficult to manage in transition and that they get soaked in sweat when running. I am getting a lot of good returns on the zoot running shoes so going to the local shop to check them out. If i go with a pair i will definitely let you guys know how they perform and what i think.  

And I think sizing them from the start with the intention of not wearing socks is critical.
2010-06-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2936462

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
utahrunner - 2010-06-22 11:35 AM Dave - good job on your first oylmpic distance tri.  I too completed my first olympic tri this pass weekend.  My story, I smiled at the finish line.  That was my goal.  For me it was pacing, spinning & not kill my self before the run.  I think what help was the nutrition/hyrdration.  I had a gel shot before the swim, and two bottle (water & perpetuem)for the bike.  I made myself drink during the ride.  And one more gel shot at the 3 mile mark.  I'll get my race report posted as soon as I can.

Sterling,
Nice job on finishing the Oly! Having a smile going across the finish is great.
2010-06-22 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
2010-06-23 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

So what’s your favorite discipline?

I love the water, fishing, boating, scuba diving and just lounging at the beach. Swimming has always been a part of my life and I really like it. I really enjoy biking too. I like the speed and distance you can achieve. But hands down it’s running for me. It’s the most rewarding and enjoyable of the three for me.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21