BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-01-28 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3326568

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL!
Blinddave - 2011-01-28 10:19 AM Friday, will go for a run in a mo when Ive let my lunch go down, this week Ive been swimming and done a couple of runs still need to fix my bike tho

cant believe its been 25 years since the Challenger disaster..

sicone - 2011-01-27 5:13 PM
dreaming80 - 2011-01-27 2:58 PM

A question? What kind of nutrition plan do you guys follow?

At the risk of annoying some people, my weight has never really been an issue for me and it hasn't changed in the last 20 or so years so I don't follow any nutrition plan at the moment apart from generally eating sensibly (with the occasional treat thrown in, but that happens less and less).
Once I start training for longer distance races (HIM's, IM's), then I will start to take my nutrition more seriously.

what about your flabby elbows
worry about your weight on the night before you turn 40  :P you know you will wake up fat

Wow! I wondered what happened to me a year and a half ago.  I woke up and thought something had changed. lol

2011-01-28 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3256240

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I was just checking some of the charts and graphs on BT and opened the years 2009 and 2010 for me.  I started tri training in August of '09 and weighed in at 177 that month.  Since that time I have been gradually losing weight and keeping it off.  One of my goals when I started training was to drop a couple pounds but I didn't have a specific target at that time.  Now that I have been training for a year and a half I can see those results in endurance, fitness and speed. 

I just patted myself on the back and I thought everyone should know it. Wink

This morning I weighed in at 162 but I hope to drop to about 155 by my first tri in May/June sometime.

2011-01-28 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
@ DirkP the fat & 40 thing is from a comment our friend said about Sicone's Dad, and therefore will happen to Sicone

2011-01-28 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I am still walking after all my workouts have been completed but I don't know how long I could stand up.  My legs are pretty well spent and they are going to be screaming at me for the rest of today for sure.  I am glad to have gotten everything done.

3750 yard swim
9 mile run
20.4 ride
SLEEP (later)
With the problems I have had sleeping this week I should sleep good tonight.  If not I'll have to take a tranquilizer or something.

2011-01-29 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Been down with the flu for the last 24 hours, and I hurt EVERYWHERE.  Fever last night was 102, but it's down to normal this morning.  I guess I should have got a flu shot, huh?  I did get some papers graded yesterday afternoon and have some more to do today.  We're about 10 days from the end of the trimester, so it will be good to be caught up.

Now that I've had a break from working out, I'm finding out where the real problem areas are.  My quads, hamstrings, and IT bands were incredibly tight.   So, stretching is about the most ambitions thing I've been doing.  

This thing is going to move from my head to my chest, but that would be better than the past 24 hrs.  I'm going to take the rest of the weekend off and just rest my body, so you all need to work out extra hard for me :-)

Gotta give credit to my hubby here!  He's been taking very good care of me.  
2011-01-29 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3328370

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jfought - 2011-01-29 11:41 AM   I'm going to take the rest of the weekend off and just rest my body, so you all need to work out extra hard for me :-)

I hope I qualified for this yesterday. 

I am going to get my long ride and 2 mile run in soon.  But right now I have to get myself motivated and I am not feeling it!

2011-01-29 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Jayne - I hope your feeling better soon! 

I just got my run gait analysis back and thankfully there are no structural issues...just a whole lot of muscle imbalances so I will be working on those over the next several weeks. 

2011-01-30 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Week has now ended for me and I managed to hit my goals
Ran 25.18miles (goal - 25miles)
Swam 4150m (goal - 4-4.5km)

Next week is a rest week for me so need to see what my goals will be.

How did everyone else do?
2011-01-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3329211

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
My goals were a little less tangible than others.  I knew it was going to be tough to get everything completed that I would have liked, but I was very close to everything. 

My normal targets would have been:
Swim - 7500 yards
Bike - 65 miles
Run - 21 Miles

The run was the only thing to fall short.  The other goals I exceeded.  I have been trying to get an additional 2 mile run after my Saturday bike but so far I haven't bee able to have the time or energy.  After I finished all my workouts Friday, I was shot after the long bike yesterday and couldn't muster enough energy to even consider another effort.

This weeks goals will be similar to last week's.  My daughter has her sectional swim meet on Thursday and Saturday.  This should be the last meet for her for the year unless she makes the state cuts but that's not likely.  Some of the state cuts are insanity.

2011-01-30 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3328605

User image

Veteran
Seren - 2011-01-29 3:43 PM Jayne - I hope your feeling better soon! 

I just got my run gait analysis back and thankfully there are no structural issues...just a whole lot of muscle imbalances so I will be working on those over the next several weeks. 

Wow a run gait? Where do you get one of those done?
2011-01-30 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3329732

User image

Expert
MI
Who is excited for the upcoming storm??? Laughing 10 inches is predicted in the metro Detroit area by Wednesday morning.  Somehow nearly a foot of snow predicted seems more exciting, haha!!  2-3 inches is just boring.  Actually, I am hoping to try out my snowshoes then that I bought a few months ago.  Still haven't tried them out yet, first time with snowshoes; I guess I could just find snow packed areas somewhere around here (umm like my yard? lol), it just seems more exciting to try them out when lots of snow is expected.

Oh and for the record, generally speaking I prefer heat to the cold, but hey, gotta find some excitement with this weather.

2011-01-30 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3329732

User image

Expert
Boston
I hired a coach. He's awesome. Very thorough. At least now I understand why I keep getting injured while running. It seems that there is an invisible white line on the ground that instead of straddling it I like to run on it. That means my legs tend to drift inward when running instead of staying in a straight line from the pelvis. I have extra torque on the knee and ankles and calves. So we are going to work to correct this
2011-01-31 4:49 AM
in reply to: #3329921

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
michgirlsk - 2011-01-30 9:41 PM Who is excited for the upcoming storm??? Laughing 10 inches is predicted in the metro Detroit area by Wednesday morning.  Somehow nearly a foot of snow predicted seems more exciting, haha!!  2-3 inches is just boring.  Actually, I am hoping to try out my snowshoes then that I bought a few months ago.  Still haven't tried them out yet, first time with snowshoes; I guess I could just find snow packed areas somewhere around here (umm like my yard? lol), it just seems more exciting to try them out when lots of snow is expected.

Oh and for the record, generally speaking I prefer heat to the cold, but hey, gotta find some excitement with this weather.

We have 6-12" inches predicted for the Ft. Wayne area.  I m not really fond of it right now.  I don't mind shoveling it but I am pretty tired of running in it, or at least the slush that is produced as cars drive over it.  I am definitely more of a heat person as well.  Working outside and having to pile on layers of clothes makes work cumbersome and clumsy depending on how bad the cold is.  The summer is much more tolerable and I can go shirtless if we aren't in the public eye (company policy).

2011-01-31 9:04 AM

User image

Regular

In the Oklahoma area they are forecasting 0 degree temps with winds 30-40 mph and blowing snow (aka blizzard conditions)Cry I most probably will not get my runs in this week as I don't want to die of hypothermia or drive 20 miles to the gym in those kinds of conditions, I guess this might be an INSANITY /strength/ yoga training week for me. I prefer cold weather over the 110 degree temps we get in the summer here. During the summer, the wind is either kicking it at 30 + mph or the mosquitos and flies are UNBEARABLE. I am really not looking forward to moving back to san diego (aprilish) for a lot of reasons, BUT i am day dreaming about the perfect training conditions there lol.

As for my nutrition, I am reasonably happy with my weight but I feel better all around when I eat well.  For me right now I have no plans, no diets. I do make sure to get a protein supplement after almost all my intense workouts. I have been focusing on getting more servings of fruits and veggies in my diet and actually when I log my food intake I am normally not getting enough carbs? according to the old school (maybe not that accurate) food pyramid. I mostly just focus on whole foods, as little fast food and overly processed food as possible and I eat out at most 2 xs per week but normally only once. 

dirk good job on hitting your goals

jayne-FEEL BETTER SOON! a recovery week will not hurt you!

2011-01-31 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Couldn't get to sleep last night.  It was sometime between 2:30 and 3am before I finally fell asleep.  Lesson learned:  NEVER check your work email from home on the weekend.  Had an email from the principal about how horribly my students behaved for the sub Friday afternoon when I went home sick.  

Needless to say, I didn't get up at 4:30 for my swim.  

After work, it was time for a run, but with the temp at 19 and the wind chill at 6 degrees, I decided it would be best to go to the gym and run on the treadmill.  The gym has 5, count them. . . yes, 5 treadmills and EVERY one had a sign on it that said "walking only" until they either were repaired or replaced.  WTF!  Some weeks just go from  bad to worse!  Got a 15 minute fast walk in and decided to go to the body pump class that was starting.  

We're supposed to get hit with a pretty bad winter storm.  I say, "bring it!"  

Thanks for all of the get well wishes.  This is my get back on track week.  Looking forward to a good swim in the morning. 
2011-02-01 5:31 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
michgirlsk - 2011-01-30 9:41 PM Who is excited for the upcoming storm??? Laughing 

I, for one, could use some excitement.  BRING ON THE BLIZZARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Being trapped at home with nothing to do would suit me just fine  Wink 

2011-02-01 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
michgirlsk - 2011-01-30 9:41 PM Who is excited for the upcoming storm??? Laughing 10 inches is predicted in the metro Detroit area by Wednesday morning.  Somehow nearly a foot of snow predicted seems more exciting, haha!!  2-3 inches is just boring.  Actually, I am hoping to try out my snowshoes then that I bought a few months ago.  Still haven't tried them out yet, first time with snowshoes; I guess I could just find snow packed areas somewhere around here (umm like my yard? lol), it just seems more exciting to try them out when lots of snow is expected.

I tend to like the snow and cold...try to get some snowboarding in over the winter months, but only went once so far. Expecting ice and freezing rain (is there really a difference between the two?) So back on the treadmill today for a long dreary run that is if I can get to the gym and a swim. Finally learning to relax on the long swims, I am always trying to be competitive with the person next to me in the pool, not always a bad thing but sometimes I need to just relax and practice technique and enjoy the swim.

Need to step up my work outs and start getting up early so I get them in. But I hate getting up early......
2011-02-01 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3332640

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
bfwhitt - 2011-02-01 9:10 AM
Need to step up my work outs and start getting up early so I get them in. But I hate getting up early......

Bruce,

I may not be able to teach you much, but I can teach you a thing or two about getting up early, even if you're not a morning person!  :-

Be careful out there on that ice--wouldn't want you to slip and fall Wink Wear your helmet.
I would rather have a foot of snow than an inch of ice!
2011-02-01 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I have a question?  Who wants to come to central Indiana and help restore power to several thousands of customers?

It looks like we are about to get hit with 1/2" to 3/4"  of ice.  If we get that much ice we are going to have some serious problems.  I will be out of commission, so to speak, for up to a couple of weeks depending on how extensive the damages are.  I will try to take some picture to post after the restoration effort are complete.

I am planning to head toward Muncie tomorrow morning to make repairs to whatever happens.  I'll be out of commission for up to a couple of weeks if the damages are extensive.

2011-02-01 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3333575

User image

Expert
MI
Okay, so here is my running update.  I have not run in, well, a very long time.  I have still not fully recovered from my injury sustained during the half ironman I did in September.  Basically it is now down to a nagging groin issue that I can still feel is there sometimes when I walk.  It doesn't hurt or anything, but I can tell it's not 100% healed and I'm afraid if I do try to do stuff (ie running/biking) on it, it will go back to becoming a hamstring/glutes/everything issue.  But since it's just been there so long, I feel it will just never go away, and I was thinking perhaps I can do some light running on it.  I actually feel this is more wishful thinking, and that it can't possibly get back to 100% if it's constantly being used, but it's just becoming quite depressing.  So I jogged about a mile today.  So far there's really nothing really different/bad about it, but, well, I'm sure if I keep doing this it will get worse.  Sigh.  I'm actually questioning if I'll even be able to run at all in the coming months.
2011-02-01 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3333930

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Have you tried stretching it out a little more?  If you are still having problems after 3-4 months, there is probably something more wrong than a simple muscle strain.  There could be some ligament or tendon damage with an ongoing problem.  Another thought, does it cause any pain or discomfort when swimming.  I know you have had a few shoulder issue too and you probably won't like it but you might even try not swimming (just thinking).

Maybe try doing some fast walking and a slower warm up to get the muscle a little warmer than you are used to.

If you have had this kind of ongoing problem I would suggest going to a doc if you are still having problems. 

2011-02-01 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3334177

User image

Expert
MI
hmm... I guess I could see swimming potentially being a problem, I never thought about that.  When the groin has been slightly worse, I have felt it during kicking motion, so even though I generally don't feel it while kicking anymore, that constant motion *may* have something to do with it.... yeah.... I probably really should probably see someone about this, the only problem is I have no insurance.... but maybe I'll look into it anyway... errr I feel like I'm a mess with all these injuries!!  The saddest part is that I was pretty much healthy ALL of tri season last year (minus the very last part of my last race! ...and my foot problem that I got from whacking my foot against a chair but I don't count that) and now it's like I can't get/stay healthy... (okay whining done.)

DirkP - 2011-02-01 7:37 PM Have you tried stretching it out a little more?  If you are still having problems after 3-4 months, there is probably something more wrong than a simple muscle strain.  There could be some ligament or tendon damage with an ongoing problem.  Another thought, does it cause any pain or discomfort when swimming.  I know you have had a few shoulder issue too and you probably won't like it but you might even try not swimming (just thinking).

Maybe try doing some fast walking and a slower warm up to get the muscle a little warmer than you are used to.

If you have had this kind of ongoing problem I would suggest going to a doc if you are still having problems. 

2011-02-02 5:52 AM
in reply to: #3334546

User image

Veteran
michgirlsk - 2011-02-01 11:31 PM hmm... I guess I could see swimming potentially being a problem, I never thought about that.  When the groin has been slightly worse, I have felt it during kicking motion, so even though I generally don't feel it while kicking anymore, that constant motion *may* have something to do with it.... yeah.... I probably really should probably see someone about this, the only problem is I have no insurance.... but maybe I'll look into it anyway... errr I feel like I'm a mess with all these injuries!!  The saddest part is that I was pretty much healthy ALL of tri season last year (minus the very last part of my last race! ...and my foot problem that I got from whacking my foot against a chair but I don't count that) and now it's like I can't get/stay healthy... (okay whining done.)

Samantha,
Sounds like Dirk might have the right idea, maybe try resting everything for about a week including swimming and see how you feel. Yeah I know probaly drive you crazy, but it is worth a shot to see if it just needs more time. Then maybe some light warm-up/yoga/stretching to see where its at.
2011-02-02 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3334661

User image

Expert
MI
Bruce, thanks.  I think I might do that.  I also think I'll be making an appointment to see someone. My mom saw someone a few years ago when she ripped a calf muscle (ouch), and I tried calling that place today, but I think they're closed because of the storm (which turned out to be a bit more lame than expected ) so I'll try again tomorrow.
2011-02-02 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Weather woes:

The gym was closed, the school's pool was closed, and the sidewalks and roads were buried in about a foot of snow.  Getting a workout in was looking unlikely.  So, I started the day out by sleeping in (on a weekday)!  Then I thought about how I should go out an shovel the drive, but I knew there had to be something better to do.  I called the local college's rec center and they were OPEN today!  Pool, bikes, and an indoor track.  I could spend the day doing a triathlon :-)

We have a 2-hour delay in the morning, but I'm still planning on going for my regular swim at 5am.  

Snow emergency usually means you're supposed to stay off the roads.  Hmmmmm.  What the heck, it hadn't been snowing or blowing in hours.  First, I almost got stuck trying to back out of the driveway.  Jeesh, I should shovel that driveway!  Frown

Arrived at the rec center to find that the pool was closed.  I ended up doing a brick.  40 min on the spinning bike and 32 laps around the track.  I've heard that they run marathons on that track.  Good lord, that would get boring.  Luckily I had my iPod.  

To my surprise, while I was working out, a neighbor plowed our driveway.  Glad I made the workout the priority Wink

We haven't had a question of the day lately.   So, here's one for you.  

What motivated you to start doing triathlon and what motivates you to get those MANY workouts in? 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 22