BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-03-12 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3394469

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full
rpframe - 2011-03-11 7:31 PM

My 8 year old got strep so I have had a hard time getting the workouts done.  I skipped wednesday and skipped the swimming  on thursday but did the walk.  I biked 3 miles today and feel good.  I was afraid I wouldn't make it after skipping wednesday but wohoo I made it.

Rachel

Way to go!! That is definitely progress!

I had a PR of 53:53 in my 10K today (Rodes City Run; Louisville, KY) Much better weather around here today. No wind and rain, thankfully! I was still a bit sore from my 16 mile run a couple days ago, and been having some mid foot pain (possibly minor metatarsalgia) So, I had two rest days leading up to the 10K, and I plan to continue resting and icing and elevating my foot to hopefully recover my foot back to normal.

I hope everyone else has a great weekend of workouts.

Bobby

2011-03-14 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3257607

User image

New user

rachel~hope your little one is feeling better.  good work making progress!

bobby~way to go on the PR, hope your foot pain has resolved.

so, minor kink in my workout schedule.  thank goodness this is a "rest" week followed by taper week before the race.  but remember the cold pool last week...turns out the heater is broken.  one of my husband's customers is the one working on it and says it wont be fixed anytime soon.  pool temps today were 74.....BRRRRR!!!  too cold for me!!!  it was hard enough at 79 degrees.  although i wasnt planning on working hard in the pool, i did want to get some swim time in and stay loose in the pool.  so what the heck do i do now???  unfortunately the other Y in town does not allow swim only access and my membership doesnt work at this Y.  so its either freeze to death or wing it and hope i will be fine not swimming for 2 1/2 weeks prior to the race.....that make me SOOOOO nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-03-16 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I've been in San Diego this week on business, and I brought along my training gear (swim flippers, running shoes, etc.) so I could keep up with my workouts. So what happens? On my 'ultra-long' 1hr,20 minute flight from central California, Southwest Airline LOST my luggage!!! I could handle everything else, a couple extra t-shirts and necessities, and I'm good to go, but I am so ticked about my tri gear! As its been 5 days, I now have to turn in a claim to get money for all that was lost...ridiculous.

Also, as a result of needing clothes, my spending money is gone, so I had to walk everywhere (and we had the ONE hotel that doesn't have a shuttle, go figure...); anyway, I managed to walk from my hotel to Balboa Park and then on to the airport, so I ended up getting a 7+ mile walk in today...

I tell ya one thing, I am never checking my luggage again--at least if I'm only going to be gone for a week.

2011-03-17 2:35 PM

User image

Parker, CO

Good news: Did my indoor tri, then signed up (and paid for) 2 sprints (1st one is June 4). Something to shoot for now.

Bad news: Was working out last Friday and tweaked by back on the ab machine (a machine i have been using for 6 months). Did not think it was much, iced and heated my back for 2 days. Then woke up at 4am yesterday morning and it hurt real bad. went to the doc and she said i had strained or some such a muscle in my lower back. The real bad news: no training for 7 days minimum. i told her I had a Tri on June 4 - she said i'll be fine if I don't re-injure it by training again to soon.

Question for everyone: Anyone tried acupuncture or a chiropractor before? What do you think? Funny, if this had happened "before" I was in training i would have waited how ever long and it would have gotten better. But now i have a RACE coming up and i will do anything to speed this recovery up!

2011-03-17 6:01 PM

User image

New user

Katy
Bronze member

I have had a bad back for years.  I just work through the pain for now hoping that as I get stronger the back will get better.  I really need my sunday rest days to ease the pain a little.  It doesn't hurt all that much.  When I pulled it though I couldn't get out of bed without help and then a weeks rest was well worth it. 

As far as my workouts have been going, I skipped yesterday, again, because we took the kids to SeaWorld.  I didn't ride a bike but I sure walked enough for a good work out.  My calves are really tight probably from walking for 4 hours and then driving home for 3 or so hours. I took a slow easy walk.  I'm dreading the 4 mile bike ride tomarrow but am going to do it anyway.

Rachel

2011-03-22 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Uh-oh, it looks like we've all gone AWOL again...ok, to get back to it,

Last night it was running intervals (about 2 miles worth), interspersed with strength training, followed by 45 minutes of swimming drills. After a week of no workouts on my trip, I feel like I lost the bit of fitness I had---but I mostly managed to keep up last night--though my abs feel it today! I have to say, it felt great getting back to training!

2011-03-22 9:40 PM

User image

Parker, CO
So, anyone signed up for any races yet? Which ones? Tis' the season.
2011-03-23 12:40 PM

User image

New user

yep, we got quiet again.  the last two weeks i have been trying to cram in as much as i can in the time i have left before my first race this SUNDAY.  i have been going crazy this week with taper madness and to top it off i am now SICK with a head cold.  i havent worked out at all since sunday and its driving me nuts.  i had planned on 1 run, 1 bike, 1 swim for this week, but it looks like it will be just 1 last swim before race day.  to say im nervous is an understatement!!!!

i did sign up for my second tri which will be april 16th and im doing the cooper river bridge run 10k in charleston next weekend.  let the race season begin!!!

mark~how is your back?  i went to a chiropractor for a couple of months for back pain and it seemed to help initially, but then it seemed like the more i went the more i needed to go if that makes any sense.  i would feel great right after getting an adjustment then i would be back in the same shape by the end of the day.

2011-03-23 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Auburn ''World's Toughest" --Mini-sprint--May 22, Auburn, CA

Tri For Fun-Sprint--June 4, Rancho Seco Park, Galt, CA

Probably at least one more, plus...

Warrior Dash--October 29, Hollister, CA

That's about it...maybe...

2011-03-23 1:38 PM

User image

New user

Katy
Bronze member

My mini sprint is May 30th.  I hope I will be ready.  I want to do a full sprint in the fall if I don't fall over dead because my heart rate gets so high when I bikeTongue out(I'm joking, I actually take short breaks if my heart rate is to high.)

I rode 5 miles today. The most ever. Pat myself on the back. 

Rachel

2011-03-27 5:33 PM

User image

New user
did my first tri today, im totally HOOKED.  Horrible weather, but AWESOME experience.  too much to tell about it.....here is my race report {here}

2011-03-27 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3416775

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-27 8:16 PM

New user

haha, yeah....im a big gal.  right at 6ft tall. 

since i went sans garmin, i had no idea my splits and average paces etc.  i just got my official results and plugged them into daily mile.  my bike was slower than i thought and my run was faster than i thought.  the swim was what i expected. 

swim 5:01

bike 48:46 average 15.3 mph

run 28:39 average 9:15min/mile

T1 3:19 (not as bad as i anticipated considering the conditions!)

T2 1:47 (much better!)

2011-03-28 11:22 PM

Parker, CO

Congrats Laura! Can't wait for our season to start here (in Colorado, nothing until May).

Just read your blog, awesome! We Athena/Clydes have to stick together (I'm 6'7"), gotta have something over those little quick people LOL, joking everyone!

Edited by mleaverton 2011-03-28 11:30 PM
2011-03-29 7:02 AM

New user

haha mark, yep gotta use our size to our advantage!!!  i barely meet athena weight but im going to keep on registering in that class as long as i can!

im thinking about wetsuits now.  more to help get me over the ickiness of OWS than for added speed.  recommendations on sleeves vs sleevless???  any brand recommendations?  ive looked at the xterras and REI has a 20% off sale and i have dividends to spend, they have blueseventys and zoots. 

2011-03-29 10:40 AM

Parker, CO

Laura, if I keep training hard i'm worried i'll drop below the weight limit myself (wouldn't have thought that would ever happen 40lbs ago). I'm thinking wetsuits as well. Looking at the Xterra Vortex 3 sleeveless (a deal @ $149 with the BT discount). I know from a past surfing life that sleeveless are a lot easier to get off. But of course sleeves would be warmer.

Anyone out there have a comment? Just going to do sprints for the foreseeable future. Maybe an Oly someday. No HIM unless I can deal with the run.

2011-03-29 12:57 PM

New user

yeah, i think i would be more comfortable in a sleeveless wetsuit in the long run since it does get very hot here and for the extra arm mobility.  the only reason i want a full sleeve one is for the added protection against the gross OWS.  if they had wet suits with gloves i would wear those too, OWS FREAKS ME OUT!!!!  but i know i have to get over it.  a local OWS course opens up sometime next month.  im planning on trying that ASAP!

i cant believe how exhausted i am after the race.  i napped for 3 hours yesterday and i NEVER nap, and i feel too tired to workout today.  fatigue is probably intensified because i was battling that head cold on race day and still feel a little sickly   i normally wouldnt care too much about taking an extra race day, but i really need to get back at it.  next tri is on april 16th....what was i thinking scheduling two races so close together.....oh and i have a 10k this weekend....DOH!!!!!!

2011-03-30 12:26 PM

2011-03-30 9:27 PM

Parker, CO

I placed 13th in Masters (no age divisions) out of 57, did better than I thought I would. Killed the swim, which suprised me (8th overall), bike was what I thought it would be (10th), run was the killer - which I knew it would be because i'm not a runner (trying to be). If there had been a clyde division I would have placed great - most of the guys where a little smaller than me lol.

Yesterday was the 1st day my back was "better", Did a "more than I have been doing" workout yesterday and still felt good. So decided to get after it today. 3 mile run followed by a 1 hour spin class, then upper body. Back still feels great as I write this. Felt real good to workout hard again. It was horrible to "take it easy" for 2 weeks (doctors orders). But if hadn't my back might have gotten worse, thus threatening the season.

Foggy - glad your back outside on the bike.

Laura - wow, lot of races! You are an inspiration,

2011-03-31 11:01 AM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
You all are doing great with your races--I'm still a little under 2 months from my first one. That's a good thing--I fell off the training wagon for a week or two--not that its a huge amount, but I'm still very much a beginner.....I'm back on it now, and looking forward to it!
2011-03-31 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3423408

2011-03-31 6:25 PM

2011-03-31 9:46 PM

East Windsor, NJ

Not so fast Foggy...I'm still here.  Still training, still reading posts.  Been going hard for 3 months now...and have built up to all race (sprint) distances.  Now just trying to do brick training to 'connect the dots'.  Dragged a bit of a$$ today but managed 500yd swim and felt better afterwards.  Recovery week....and well timed.

--Rob--

2011-04-01 8:50 PM

Parker, CO

So we have 6 or 7, how many other lurkers (just readers)?

ROLL CALL!! Let us know

2011-04-02 8:00 PM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
I'm HERE!!!! Sidelined by a cold--ICK!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 15