BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-02-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3372404

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL
That was fun!  I feel faster with less effort.  I think that's what the data shows?

2011-02-27 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3374709

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-02-27 7:53 PM That was fun!  I feel faster with less effort.  I think that's what the data shows?

Jackie,

I'm pleasantly surprised to see your progress, today's ride was nothing short of great, leveled effort and HR, high turnover (91 average beats me), no coasting at all and everything in spite of the incredible winds (they got up to here too).
Since you say you're feeling so strong, we'll concentrate during the weekdays on some speed. How's the schedule this week? Availability?
2011-02-27 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3373775

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Many Questions
Barry,

Jump in the water's fine Cool  Now it's my turn to encourage you. 

The swimming clicked for me after a female triathlete told me she heard it takes 7 years to get good at the swim.  Since it had only been a few months for me, I figured I'd relax about the MIG.  It worked and it will for you also.  Don't worry until it's been almost 7 years.

Get chains for your bike and ride in the ice and snow.  (just kidding)  I used to live up north also. 

Just do a workout and question Ernesto.  He's the bomb or is it he's a beast!  Can you tell I teach high school?

He has been invaluable to my training.  Today I was dreaming about an Olympic after a Sprint.   Are we nuts or what?  I think I have been bitten by the bug.

Let us know how you are doing.  You are not alone, we are all virtually connected!
2011-02-27 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3374724

User image

Expert
evillarroel - 2011-02-27 8:00 PM
jdiis - 2011-02-27 7:53 PM That was fun!  I feel faster with less effort.  I think that's what the data shows?

Jackie,

I'm pleasantly surprised to see your progress, today's ride was nothing short of great, leveled effort and HR, high turnover (91 average beats me), no coasting at all and everything in spite of the incredible winds (they got up to here too).
Since you say you're feeling so strong, we'll concentrate during the weekdays on some speed. How's the schedule this week? Availability?

Ernesto,

You are such an encourager.  I can't wait to watch you at IM Texas!

Every night but Thursday is okay.  Swimming usually works best for me on Monday or Tuesday.  Other than that, whatever you recommend is fine.  I like a plan based on need rather than a canned plan.
2011-02-28 2:39 AM
in reply to: #3374638

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
baurryman - 2011-02-27 6:47 PM
markz - 2011-02-26 8:28 PM Hey Barry,

Good to see someone who knows 'my hood'. I lived in Chicago for over 5 years and virtually all my long runs (and rides) were done on the lakefront path, sometimes South to Jackson Park, sometimes North to Navy Pier or Foster. I have also done 2 marathons in Chicago, few Olympic Chicago Triathlons and some other ones in Wisconsin. If you have enough guts to do the marathon in Chicago, the South Shore Tri will be a breeze, just do the swim in the wetsuit, that lake can be cold (you will also float much, much better)...
Have fun training, get on that bike or put it on the trainer, get used to it and you will do fine.

Thanks for the encouragement Mark. The lakefront path here is under quite a bit of renovation from downtown south to about 47th. street. I think some of the north end is also but I haven't been down that way in a while. I'm thinking about signing up for the Chicago Triathlon this year.(sprint, of course) It's a month after the South Shore tri.

Barry, since Jackie mentioned Olympic after Sprint, I will mention that my brother, being 230lbs and 6', signed up for the  Chicago Tri (Olympic distance) few years ago when we were both living in Chicago and finished without training at all. I mean zip, nada. I couldn't believe it myself, my approach it totally different (I actually like training), but anyway. Sure he was so wasted after the bike that hardly ran at all, but finished. We both had an absolute blast and he's been signing up every year since.
Conclusion: there's nothing like Chicago Triathlon, you have to do it! And do not rule out the Olympic distance...
2011-02-28 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3374752

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-02-27 8:21 PM
evillarroel - 2011-02-27 8:00 PM

Jackie,

Ernesto,

You are such an encourager.  I can't wait to watch you at IM Texas!

Every night but Thursday is okay.  Swimming usually works best for me on Monday or Tuesday.  Other than that, whatever you recommend is fine.  I like a plan based on need rather than a canned plan.

Then swim it is today! Start easy and try to relax in the water, fluid movement and FEEL the water being displaced in the catch phase. Go for as long as you want or can do, do not worry about the speed. Shoot, I wish I could see you swim so I could help some more! It is such a visual thing. If you have a digital camera that shoots video, try to get some footage and send it to me, I could do so much more.
Tomorrow we'll run fast, details coming up, stay tuned...
And btw, thanks for the kind words. That is my fuel to help you and knowing that you feel acomplished by your own merits.

2011-02-28 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3374916

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-02-28 2:39 AM
baurryman - 2011-02-27 6:47 PM
markz - 2011-02-26 8:28 PM Hey Barry,

Good to see someone who knows 'my hood'. I lived in Chicago for over 5 years and virtually all my long runs (and rides) were done on the lakefront path, sometimes South to Jackson Park, sometimes North to Navy Pier or Foster. I have also done 2 marathons in Chicago, few Olympic Chicago Triathlons and some other ones in Wisconsin. If you have enough guts to do the marathon in Chicago, the South Shore Tri will be a breeze, just do the swim in the wetsuit, that lake can be cold (you will also float much, much better)...
Have fun training, get on that bike or put it on the trainer, get used to it and you will do fine.

Thanks for the encouragement Mark. The lakefront path here is under quite a bit of renovation from downtown south to about 47th. street. I think some of the north end is also but I haven't been down that way in a while. I'm thinking about signing up for the Chicago Triathlon this year.(sprint, of course) It's a month after the South Shore tri.

Barry, since Jackie mentioned Olympic after Sprint, I will mention that my brother, being 230lbs and 6', signed up for the  Chicago Tri (Olympic distance) few years ago when we were both living in Chicago and finished without training at all. I mean zip, nada. I couldn't believe it myself, my approach it totally different (I actually like training), but anyway. Sure he was so wasted after the bike that hardly ran at all, but finished. We both had an absolute blast and he's been signing up every year since.
Conclusion: there's nothing like Chicago Triathlon, you have to do it! And do not rule out the Olympic distance...

Barry,

It's one of the greatest "short" distance races in the whole world. Plenty of time to get ready for it too. Sign up!
2011-02-28 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3374739

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
jdiis - 2011-02-27 8:13 PMBarry,

Jump in the water's fine Cool  Now it's my turn to encourage you. 

The swimming clicked for me after a female triathlete told me she heard it takes 7 years to get good at the swim.  Since it had only been a few months for me, I figured I'd relax about the MIG.  It worked and it will for you also.  Don't worry until it's been almost 7 years.

Get chains for your bike and ride in the ice and snow.  (just kidding)  I used to live up north also. 

Just do a workout and question Ernesto.  He's the bomb or is it he's a beast!  Can you tell I teach high school?

He has been invaluable to my training.  Today I was dreaming about an Olympic after a Sprint.   Are we nuts or what?  I think I have been bitten by the bug.

Let us know how you are doing.  You are not alone, we are all virtually connected!
Jackie, Mark & Ernesto,Thanks for the encouragement. Jackie, yes we are nuts. I just signed up for the Olympic Chicago Triathlon. I'll panic later!
2011-02-28 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Expert

Oh Ernesto,

I think I mis-spoke when I said it was an easy ride yesterday.  Today my butt was really dragging.  I didn't sleep well and my energy level was really low.  I felt totally drained. 

I dumped the swim (first time I bailed out of a planned workout) and called today another rest day.  There's a lot of illness going around school, although I declare it's going right around me.

I'll swim tomorrow and that hard running will just have to wait until Wed.

2011-02-28 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3376292

User image

Expert
Barry,

Congratulations on signing up.

Don't panic.  Enjoy the training journey.  Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Day by day.   Some days will be good and some will be better.  Just remember we're setting an example for our couch potato friends.  Someday the weather will improve in Chicago.

I'm actually volunteering for a tri in two weeks just to see what one looks like.  I've never been and I can't really tell much from those youtube videos.
2011-02-28 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3376598

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-02-28 9:27 PM

Oh Ernesto,

I think I mis-spoke when I said it was an easy ride yesterday.  Today my butt was really dragging.  I didn't sleep well and my energy level was really low.  I felt totally drained. 

I dumped the swim (first time I bailed out of a planned workout) and called today another rest day.  There's a lot of illness going around school, although I declare it's going right around me.

No sweat, training while tired doesn't pay off. We'll do the swim tomorrow and the run on Wednesday, intensity will vary according to your level of energy but it would be good to get some speed stuff since Thursday is off.
I've been thinking about races I could suggest for you to do, Texas Man here in Ray Roberts is very nice, It's a beach run into the water like in the ITU races and the run is in a shaded park, bike course is longer than a "normal" Sprint but I'm absolutely positive that it will be easy for you to finish by the time the race comes.
I could get to see you as an added bonus, which would make it an incredible experience for me.
Metroplex Super Srint is another candidate, it's actually shorter than a typical Sprint, the run is only two miles, the bike is super flat and fast and the swim is piece of cake.
Have you decided which race to do?

2011-02-28 9:55 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Read this article on heat, sweat and hydration:

http://ironman.com/training/nutrition/christopher-d.-jensen-offers-some-tips-on-how-to-train-and-compete-in-hot-humid-conditions?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ironman%2Ftopstories+%28Ironman.com+Top+Stories%29#axzz1DWISPigO
2011-02-28 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3376598

El Paso
Hey Ernesto,I'm having trouble downloading the garmin, plus its not recording speed nor distance, this is a dum question but could it be that its because the WO is on a tredmkill,? Can you help me I just got a promotion and hours are killing me, (brag) In regards to what I previous mentioned my schedule has change drastically, I use to go to work at any hour, now I have the 8-5 hours, not to brag but I was promoted to mngr. and from 7-10 I have school, so now I'm trying to workout before work, and /or the gap from 5-7, depending on homework, question, is it better to work out way in the morning or late at night? I'm still doing the long run and ride on the weekend..Can you help me desing a training shedule,? For example my current is:Monday swimTu, slow run 5 mi in 1hourWe, rest if the wife allows!!Th, ride 20 mil on spinning bike, working on posture, hope to change this SundayFriday, run faster pace 6mi in 1hourSat, long ride, not very long, sometimes on spinning bike and others on the mountain bike, 2 hrSun, long run 6 or 9 mil, depending on wife and kids plans, Update on the bike, I have a sizing session schedule for this Friday, hoping too get my first oficial TT ride next Sunday

Edited by alfredo1414 2011-02-28 11:28 PM
2011-03-01 2:59 AM
in reply to: #3376292

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Barry,
Sir, YOU ROCK!
(and this Oly distance is better value for money... Wink)

Edited by markz 2011-03-01 3:00 AM
2011-03-01 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3376654

User image

Master
Dallas
alfredo1414 - 2011-02-28 10:07 PM Hey Ernesto,I'm having trouble downloading the garmin, plus its not recording speed nor distance, this is a dum question but could it be that its because the WO is on a tredmkill,? Can you help me I just got a promotion and hours are killing me, (brag) In regards to what I previous mentioned my schedule has change drastically, I use to go to work at any hour, now I have the 8-5 hours, not to brag but I was promoted to mngr. and from 7-10 I have school, so now I'm trying to workout before work, and /or the gap from 5-7, depending on homework, question, is it better to work out way in the morning or late at night? I'm still doing the long run and ride on the weekend..Can you help me desing a training shedule,? For example my current is:Monday swimTu, slow run 5 mi in 1hourWe, rest if the wife allows!!Th, ride 20 mil on spinning bike, working on posture, hope to change this SundayFriday, run faster pace 6mi in 1hourSat, long ride, not very long, sometimes on spinning bike and others on the mountain bike, 2 hrSun, long run 6 or 9 mil, depending on wife and kids plans, Update on the bike, I have a sizing session schedule for this Friday, hoping too get my first oficial TT ride next Sunday

Alfredo,

Congrats on your promotion! (and welcome to the miseries of time crunching schedules). I suffer the same syndrome. First and foremost I need to tell a few things for your own good:

-          Make sure you tell your wife in advance what you’re planning on doing and make sure she’s ok with it if you want to avoid conflict (been there, done that, got the t-shirt).

-         Do your own workout clothes laundry (trust me on this one).

-         Make the most out of your weekend stuff. 50% or more of your volume will have to be put during those two days.

-         Save weekdays for speed sessions and swims because they’re short.

-         Ditch the bike during the week unless it is really short (cycling takes the most time because you have to drive to the place, get ready, dressed up, etc.).

-         On weekends, put your workouts before anybody gets up in the house, that way family activities can still be done.

Now, the Garmin DOES NOT record speed on the treadmill (unless you purchase the foot sensor), you can still put the forerunner on and keep tabs on your heart rate. The mileage and speed you get it from the treadmill itself. Garmin connect lets you “edit” the workout and put the mileage later.

Give me a couple of days to think about your schedule.

2011-03-01 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3376621

User image

Expert
evillarroel - 2011-02-28 9:40 PM

Oh Ernesto,

No sweat, training while tired doesn't pay off. We'll do the swim tomorrow and the run on Wednesday, intensity will vary according to your level of energy but it would be good to get some speed stuff since Thursday is off.
I've been thinking about races I could suggest for you to do, Texas Man here in Ray Roberts is very nice, It's a beach run into the water like in the ITU races and the run is in a shaded park, bike course is longer than a "normal" Sprint but I'm absolutely positive that it will be easy for you to finish by the time the race comes.
I could get to see you as an added bonus, which would make it an incredible experience for me.
Metroplex Super Srint is another candidate, it's actually shorter than a typical Sprint, the run is only two miles, the bike is super flat and fast and the swim is piece of cake.

Ok I have swim video.  Unfortunately it's way big 22 MB.  I notice some things I need to fix.  

I'll be at the Keller tri on March 13.  I'll be done working there about 10:30 AM.  Maybe we can get together and I can show you the video or you can watch me swim somewhere.

I was thinking about signing up for the Benbrook Tri at the end of March.  I'd like to do one in a pool before I move to "open" water.

OK coach.  I feel the need for speed.  Track work tomorrow?

2011-03-02 5:12 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Alfredo,

I just read the points Ernesto mentioned and must say - they are excellent, I seem to follow them as well and avoided a lot of conflicts in the family this way. In addition:

-    I keep all my workout clothes in the garage, this way I don't have to wake anybody     up looking for socks at 4am;
-    I try to minimise talking about working out as much as possible, my wife just doesn't share this level of enthusiasm for those things (this forum is a better place for it!).

2011-03-02 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3378464

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-03-01 10:46 PM
evillarroel - 2011-02-28 9:40 PM

Oh Ernesto,

Ok I have swim video.  Unfortunately it's way big 22 MB.  I notice some things I need to fix.  

I'll be at the Keller tri on March 13.  I'll be done working there about 10:30 AM.  Maybe we can get together and I can show you the video or you can watch me swim somewhere.

I was thinking about signing up for the Benbrook Tri at the end of March.  I'd like to do one in a pool before I move to "open" water.

OK coach.  I feel the need for speed.  Track work tomorrow?

Unfortunately, I'll be in Puerto Rico by that time. Yes, do the track today, warm up easy (jog) for 4 laps and then 200M (1 lap) fast and one lap recovery, you can walk during the recovery if you want to bring the HR down but its important to go fast when doing your interval. Do at least 4 repeats, five if you can and then warm down. You'll feel ready to crash when you're done. About the video, have you tried youtube? You can upload it and send me a link.
Enjoy!
2011-03-02 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3378551

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-03-02 5:12 AM

Alfredo,

I just read the points Ernesto mentioned and must say - they are excellent, I seem to follow them as well and avoided a lot of conflicts in the family this way. In addition:

-    I keep all my workout clothes in the garage, this way I don't have to wake anybody     up looking for socks at 4am;
-    I try to minimise talking about working out as much as possible, my wife just doesn't share this level of enthusiasm for those things (this forum is a better place for it!).

It's amazing how we all go through similar experiences, I never thought of keeping my clothes outside but I'll start doing that. Now that you mentioned it, my wife complaints that I make too much noise when I wake up. Same as you, I quit talking about triathlons and training with the family, they obviously don't share my passion.
Shoot, I can't even get them to go the races with me anymore. Last half Ironman in Austin I went solo.
2011-03-02 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3378613

El Paso
evillarroel - 2011-03-02 6:39 AM

Alfredo,

It's amazing how we all go through similar experiences, I never thought of keeping my clothes outside but I'll start doing that. Now that you mentioned it, my wife complaints that I make too much noise when I wake up. Same as you, I quit talking about triathlons and training with the family, they obviously don't share my passion.
Shoot, I can't even get them to go the races with me anymore. Last half Ironman in Austin I went solo.

Its like im hearing myself, I try to get everybody involve to make it a family activity, I even try road trips and camping weekend, now they are calling me Alfredo vs nature....  im afraid that if I keep my worout clothes outside, soon she will tell me to also slep outside jajajaja  JKDN!!  she wont do that, I hope... seriously last couple of days when I mentioned that I was going to wash my workout clothes, she told me if I think that she is not capable of doing that...  what?????  I know right...!!  but she is the greatest and love her for that,..   my strategy was that I tol her how much money I was spending in the sport, and now she is preasuring me to go and workout "you better go and workout if not I'm going to sell all your stuff on e-bay, if ou paid that much money you better bring some gold or something"  jajajajaja

Thanks guys for the tips..  

Ernesto, maybe some of us can all get together for your TX ironman??   this can give me an experience feel to the race, also Im thinking in doing a Sprint in galveston in june, what do you think?
2011-03-02 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3380115

User image

Master
Dallas
alfredo1414 - 2011-03-02 7:19 PM

Alfredo,

Its like im hearing myself, I try to get everybody involve to make it a family activity, I even try road trips and camping weekend, now they are calling me Alfredo vs nature....  im afraid that if I keep my worout clothes outside, soon she will tell me to also slep outside jajajaja  JKDN!!  she wont do that, I hope... seriously last couple of days when I mentioned that I was going to wash my workout clothes, she told me if I think that she is not capable of doing that...  what?????  I know right...!!  but she is the greatest and love her for that,..   my strategy was that I tol her how much money I was spending in the sport, and now she is preasuring me to go and workout "you better go and workout if not I'm going to sell all your stuff on e-bay, if ou paid that much money you better bring some gold or something"  jajajajaja

Ernesto, maybe some of us can all get together for your TX ironman??   this can give me an experience feel to the race, also Im thinking in doing a Sprint in galveston in june, what do you think?

I would love to have you all at the race, the bigger the cheers, my performance will be better! Seriously, watching people race teaches you how to race, especially long distance triathlons. A couple of years ago I started going to races to cheer on my teammates and learned a few things. A year after I did it, I went to see Ironman Arizona and I was amazed at the things that I saw and you miss from being IN the race.
You are welcome to go and I'll be delighted.

2011-03-02 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3380204

El Paso
evillarroel - 2011-03-02 8:38 PM

Alfredo,

I would love to have you all at the race, the bigger the cheers, my performance will be better! Seriously, watching people race teaches you how to race, especially long distance triathlons. A couple of years ago I started going to races to cheer on my teammates and learned a few things. A year after I did it, I went to see Ironman Arizona and I was amazed at the things that I saw and you miss from being IN the race.

Well im going to plan it trough ...  anybody else intrested???  we could have some t-shirts printed out.. 
2011-03-02 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3380260

User image

Expert
alfredo1414 - 2011-03-02 9:25 PM
evillarroel - 2011-03-02 8:38 PM

Alfredo,

Well im going to plan it trough ...  anybody else intrested???  we could have some t-shirts printed out.. 

I see there are advantages to being single, yes?

I'm definitely in for spectating at IM Texas.  What should the t-shirts say BT's Best Mentor - Go Ernesto! or maybe little banners or balloons for more visibility? 

Edited by jdiis 2011-03-02 10:37 PM
2011-03-02 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3378610

User image

Expert

Track intervals completed.  They were brutal, but I think I see a hint of progress.  I originally thought the swim was going to be the show stopper, but now I'm thinking it might be the run that needs the most work.

Tomorrow is booked, but I have from 4:15 until dark on Friday to bike or run, or I could go swim. 

When do you go to Puerto Rico?  How does that all work?  You ship your bike or take it on the plane?  You get to workout there for a day or two?  You get to preview the courses?  Explain please.

I'll check the youtube stuff out.

2011-03-02 11:19 PM

El Paso
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/71001666

Hi Ernesto,

Here is the link to the WO that I manage to save...   I don’t know what’s wrong, but at least I can see my heart rate..  can you check it out and as always your feedback is much appreciated..

Regards

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25