BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
ART therapy update, part II -- just returned from my second session. Again some truly uncomfortable moments as my foot was worked over, but I haven't felt this good since before my injury in Febrary. Its like I have a new foot. Yes, its still early, and I still haven't run, but me & the Doc agreed if it feels OK in the morning, trying to do 1 mile would be reasonable. SO.....update tomorrow on how things worked out.  Could be my first brick work out in months! (I'm planning a bike ride in the AM as well).

2011-04-18 11:20 AM

User image

Arizona

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I pretty much took yesterday off , but I did P90x stretching with Alicia. I also had to go pick up my daughter at the airport in vegas last night.

I thought the wind only blew where I live. Sounds like everyone battled it this week.

Curt- Congrats on the golf game. I'm so bad at golf. I do have a great short game though, its too bad its on the fariway and not on the greens. Every year the Fire Dept puts on a tournament and I usually sit at the par 3 to make sure no one cheats for the hole in one prize.

Tracie- Iam jealous you are going to "Warrior Dash". It just looks like it will be a blast! Also nice goals for the week. I never thought of being a yoga guy but tried it and now I try to do that once a week myself.

Kate- Fireguys are right up there on the crazy list, who runs inside burning buildings when everybody else is running out of them? If you need someone to dress up as the mongoose, count me inLaughing. Nice job on the volunteering, they are the unsung heros and keep up with your swimming. It will pay off for sure.

Suzie- Stick with it girl and don't get discouraged! you are doing great. Half the battle is getting out there and doing it. You will start to see the results. Johanne is right , Do your own race and you are going to be alright.

Mike- Fantastic news about you foot. Best of luck with your run tomorrow and that it will be pain free. What an exciting thing to have the Boston marathon in your backyard. That is one thing I have to put on my bucket list.

Sara- Going to the pool today and practicing one eye breathing. I hope they didn't put too much chlorine in the pool today. Cholrine really upsets my stomach.Smile

Have a great week everyone and get out and have fun!

2011-04-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3452422

User image

Expert
San Jose

Mike_D - 2011-04-18 8:29 AM ART therapy update, part II -- just returned from my second session. Again some truly uncomfortable moments as my foot was worked over, but I haven't felt this good since before my injury in Febrary. Its like I have a new foot. Yes, its still early, and I still haven't run, but me & the Doc agreed if it feels OK in the morning, trying to do 1 mile would be reasonable. SO.....update tomorrow on how things worked out.  Could be my first brick work out in months! (I'm planning a bike ride in the AM as well).

That is such great news! I'm thinking positive thoughts that you'll get your run in tomorrow and it'll feel good. I think the pain of ART almost feels good after a while in a strange way because you know it's doing so much good.

2011-04-18 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Repeat after me:  Sara is evil.  Sara likes to torture her mentees!!!!  Since when are you suppose to sweat while swimming?  And this pain thing in the muscles, no good!!!!   Kidding aside, followed the bosses instructions and did 100 wu, 4 x 50, 5 x 100, and 4 x 25.  It was really challenging and had me working my backside off.  Can feel the muscles in my chest for the first time after a swim.  My form was terrible, but at least I could feel it / kept fighting to get it back.  Only bad part was the two goof ball 14 year olds that decided to join me in the lap lane for the last few reps.  Breast stroking across both lanes is not bright and not appreciated.  Thanks Sara for the great idea / feel free to suggest the next adventure.
2011-04-18 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Mike_D - 2011-04-18 10:29 AM ART therapy update, part II -- just returned from my second session. Again some truly uncomfortable moments as my foot was worked over, but I haven't felt this good since before my injury in Febrary. Its like I have a new foot. Yes, its still early, and I still haven't run, but me & the Doc agreed if it feels OK in the morning, trying to do 1 mile would be reasonable. SO.....update tomorrow on how things worked out.  Could be my first brick work out in months! (I'm planning a bike ride in the AM as well).

Glad you're feeling better -- now you ARE going to use your head and go slowly, right?

2011-04-18 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

This is AWESOME news, Mike!

Mike_D - 2011-04-18 11:29 AM ART therapy update, part II -- just returned from my second session. Again some truly uncomfortable moments as my foot was worked over, but I haven't felt this good since before my injury in Febrary. Its like I have a new foot. Yes, its still early, and I still haven't run, but me & the Doc agreed if it feels OK in the morning, trying to do 1 mile would be reasonable. SO.....update tomorrow on how things worked out.  Could be my first brick work out in months! (I'm planning a bike ride in the AM as well).

2011-04-18 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3453584

User image

Master
Dunedin

croixfan - 2011-04-18 7:31 PM Repeat after me:  Sara is evil.  Sara likes to torture her mentees!!!!  Since when are you suppose to sweat while swimming?  And this pain thing in the muscles, no good!!!!   Kidding aside, followed the bosses instructions and did 100 wu, 4 x 50, 5 x 100, and 4 x 25.  It was really challenging and had me working my backside off.  Can feel the muscles in my chest for the first time after a swim.  My form was terrible, but at least I could feel it / kept fighting to get it back.  Only bad part was the two goof ball 14 year olds that decided to join me in the lap lane for the last few reps.  Breast stroking across both lanes is not bright and not appreciated.  Thanks Sara for the great idea / feel free to suggest the next adventure.

I thought I could only have that effect in person-marvelous!!  With time, your form should improve while you do that workout, you'll become more focused on technique AND getting through the hard effort. Innocent

2011-04-18 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3453584

User image

Master
Dunedin

croixfan - 2011-04-18 7:31 PM Repeat after me:  Sara is evil.  Sara likes to torture her mentees!!!!  Since when are you suppose to sweat while swimming?  And this pain thing in the muscles, no good!!!!   Kidding aside, followed the bosses instructions and did 100 wu, 4 x 50, 5 x 100, and 4 x 25.  It was really challenging and had me working my backside off.  Can feel the muscles in my chest for the first time after a swim.  My form was terrible, but at least I could feel it / kept fighting to get it back.  Only bad part was the two goof ball 14 year olds that decided to join me in the lap lane for the last few reps.  Breast stroking across both lanes is not bright and not appreciated.  Thanks Sara for the great idea / feel free to suggest the next adventure.

I thought I could only have that effect in person-marvelous!!  With time, your form should improve while you do that workout, you'll become more focused on technique AND getting through the hard effort. Innocent

2011-04-18 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

As promised, a beginner swimmer workout... looking forward to hearing thoughts after trying it out!

SUPER  BEGINNER SWIMMER

The purpose of this training is to prepare the swimmer for their first sprint-distance open water swim.  While many athletes hope for speedy times, it is more important for the beginner to be able to swim safely.  Therefore, these workouts will help the swimmer to become confident in his/her ability as endurance is built.  To do so, the swimmer should focus on body position and then increase distance.  It is highly recommended that the swimmer become comfortable swimming 500 yards consecutively (no stopping on walls) before attempting an open water swim.

1)

Warm up

4 x 30 second flutter kicking while holding on wall, 30 second rest between each repeat. 

Exhale through mouth/nose until 80% of air is out of lungs then turn head to side to inhale.  Continue this rhythmic breathing on one side throughout the 30 seconds.  Switch and only breathe on other side during the next repeat.  For 3rd and 4th repeat, breathe on right side first and then alternate next breath to left side.  Continue alternate side breathing.  If this is too difficult, then repeat breathing on one side only and switch to other side only for 4th repeat.

*Controlling breathing is important!  It helps keep you calm, it maintains proper blood chemistry and makes room for fresh air on the next inhalation, yet saves some air in case you cannot inhale (if someone is swimming next to you in open water, for example).

Main set

4 x 25 yard kick with kickboard (advance to no kickboard-arms stay out in front like Superman), 30 second rest between each repeat.

Let your feet break the surface each time one foot comes up.  If able, listen for your kicking rhythm when your face is in the water.  It’s okay to keep your head up throughout each 25 yard kick repeat, but work towards practicing the breathing from the kicking on the wall set.  Maintain good posture by sucking your abdominal muscles. 

*Many athletes have poor ankle flexibility and therefore do not move forward quickly or end up going backwards.  Although it may be frustrating, keep practicing!!  Stretch your ankles, press your chest slightly towards the bottom of the pool and have your kick critiqued. 

8 x 25 yard catch up drill, one minute rest between each repeat

Why so much rest? TO STRETCH! Your arms and your legs may feel tight, so help them out by a short stretch.  Why catch up drill?  A long swimmer carries momentum from each pull better than a short one.  AND, because Sara said so. =)

*Many athletes have difficulty learning to breathe in the water.  Press your cheek into the arm on the side that’s easier to breath on.  When it’s time to breath, press your cheek into that arm as it pulls down and back through the water and your mouth should come out of the water as the arm on that side comes out of the water for the recovery.  Your face goes into the water as your hand re-enters the water.

Ready for more?  Repeat 4 x 25 yard kick with kick board then 8 x 25 yard catch-up drill.  Reduce the rest time by 10 seconds.  If you’re ready to call it quits then hit the shower and don’t forget to REHYDRATE.

2011-04-18 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3453840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-18 9:12 PM

Wrong emoticon -- you need the one with horns not a halo!  Agree 110% on it getting easier.  First time I felt like I've worked at swimming / focused on developing some musculature.

2011-04-19 2:27 AM
in reply to: #3453849

Extreme Veteran

Sara - finally remembered your name, lol. I might try that one tomorrow if I go back to the pool. One dumb question though - what exactly is a "catch up drill"? I know I definitely need to work on the breathing and posture - I could feel my hips sinking yesterday - so this seems one that could be beneficial for me.

To everyone else - keep up the good work.

Me - decided to call it a rest day after walking around a shopping centre and to/from stations was hurting my knee. Made it worse by running for the bus too so tomorrow looks like it will be a walk, swim and possible bike day if haven't decided to call it quits after the swim already,lol

2011-04-19 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

(Insert trumpets flourish)

Today, I ran. And it was spectacular.

It wasn't far (1.1 miles!), but I went out, and had a pain free, leisurly run (9:30 pace) to test the foot. Could have gone more, and it appears my prior run fitness hasn't completely left me in the past 8 weeks of inactivity. I will try this again on Thursday.  Just to be out there and feel myself moving was psychologically uplifting. A very big can 'o feeling good was opened.

The run came on the heels of a tough intervals session on the bike, courtesy of JorgeM's bike plan. I'm feeling it in the quads this AM - but its a good kind of sore  So, a small brick workout this AM.

So, I'm throwing it out there that I am now convinced ART therapy is for real, it works, and I'm a believer. And I can't wait to run again this week.

2011-04-19 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3452564

Dave-

Do you like P90x, my husband has been thinking about getting it. Do you think it's worth the money?

Tracie

2011-04-19 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3454104

Mike-

Glad the ART is working. It's always nice to run without pain.Laughing

Tracie

It wasn't far (1.1 miles!), but I went out, and had a pain free, leisurly run (9:30 pace) to test the foot. Could have gone more, and it appears my prior run fitness hasn't completely left me in the past 8 weeks of inactivity. I will try this again on Thursday. Just to be out there and feel myself moving was psychologically uplifting. A very big can 'o feeling good was opened.

2011-04-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3454033

User image

Master
Dunedin

Suzanne-good question since there may be someone else here that doesn't recognize what catch up drill is.  When swimming front crawl (a.k.a. freestyle) the hand entering the water "catches up" to the hand that is leading out in front (your hands touch out in front) before you start your next pull.

suzielea - 2011-04-19 3:27 AM

What exactly is a "catch up drill"? I know I definitely need to work on the breathing and posture - I could feel my hips sinking yesterday - so this seems one that could be beneficial for me.

2011-04-19 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3454104

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike-forget just trumpets, lets get the whole gosh darn marching band out to celebrate this momentous event.  That's fabulous that you were pain free.  I hope it stays that way!

Tracie- I'm going to budge in to your conversation.  I fully enjoyed P90X when I was using it last year.  I especially liked the stretching, yoga, and plyometrics.  My husband and I concluded that the people who give up on using the DVDs after the first few tries probably do so because they try too hard.  I would always go at my pace regardless of what they were doing in the DVD.  I just haven't been using it this year because I'm less motivated to be in best shape I can be.  I'm still trying to heal, so I'm happy doing my own la-de-da thing right now.

Mike_D - 2011-04-19 7:34 AM

(Insert trumpets flourish)

It wasn't far (1.1 miles!), but I went out, and had a pain free, leisurly run (9:30 pace) to test the foot. Could have gone more, and it appears my prior run fitness hasn't completely left me in the past 8 weeks of inactivity. I will try this again on Thursday.  Just to be out there and feel myself moving was psychologically uplifting. A very big can 'o feeling good was opened.

The run came on the heels of a tough intervals session on the bike, courtesy of JorgeM's bike plan. I'm feeling it in the quads this AM - but its a good kind of sore  So, a small brick workout this AM.

So, I'm throwing it out there that I am now convinced ART therapy is for real, it works, and I'm a believer. And I can't wait to run again this week.

2011-04-19 8:41 AM

Extreme Veteran

Mike - yay for the foot feeling better

Sara - I think that makes sense - I'll see if I can remember it tomorrow when I go to the pool - if I even get that far, lol - Would it be the same thing if I was using a kickboard where I put the hand I've taken off to "stroke" back on before taking the other one off?

2011-04-19 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Great report Mike! You must of been riding on that high all day
2011-04-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3454116

User image

Arizona

Tracie-

Alicia borrowed a set from a coworker and that is what we use at home. Also a guy from work brought his set in for anyone who wanted to try it.  I have only done the stretching and yoga segments but I do like them. It is a good recovery excercise and I am not very flexible. My suggestion would be to see if you could try them before you buy them. Borrow it from a friend or steal it from a family member and see if you like it. Its like any excercise DVD to me, The guy is slightly annoying imo but if you can get passed his delivery, its not a bad workout. I myself might have a hard time shelling over the 120+dollars to purchase the whole set. I'm with Sara as I'm happy doing my own la-de-da thing right now too. SmileHope this helps.

Twhittum - 2011-04-19 5:44 AM

Dave-

Do you like P90x, my husband has been thinking about getting it. Do you think it's worth the money?

Tracie

Edited by pyroman1_1 2011-04-19 10:31 AM
2011-04-19 10:42 AM

User image

Hey everyone,

Sorry haven't been on in a few days Frown!  I was helping someone move on Friday and with all the training I am doing I was feeling pretty strong.  I volunterred to unload the truck and ended up with a case of sciatica.  I spent the weekend on my back, icing it.  The pain is pretty much gone now except when I move suddenly so I think I will try a little walk/run today.  I had this happen before (shovelling snow!) and it took much longer to heal as I did not ice it right away.  My 10k is May 1st, I want to be ready but not put myself out of commission while training for it!  Slow and steady it will be!

After reading everyone's posts on swimming, I must say I am feeling intimidated.  As I said before, I've only swam recreationally so timing myself makes me nervous.  I am calling around today to inquire about lessons.

Congrats to everyone on your training and on your completed races.  This is certainly a determined group that I'm glad to be a part of. 

BTW, hubby picked up the bike for me on the weekend.  Haven't been able to ride yet with the back issue but I tried it very briefly on the trainer. Love, love, love it (even though it was painful!)  I will take pics to share. 

Time to try the run.  Keep your fingers crossed for me! 

2011-04-19 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Post them bike pics Lori!!!  Everyone always likes to look at new toys.

Congrats Mike.  Very happy for you as I know how much injuries suck.

2011-04-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3454851

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2011-04-19 12:08 PM

Post them bike pics Lori!!!  Everyone always likes to look at new toys.

Congrats Mike.  Very happy for you as I know how much injuries suck.

Unwritten rule of BT: If you don't post a pic, the bike doesn't exist!

Thanks, Curt! I wanted to keep going, but knew it wasn't a smart move.  A bit of infrequent pain in the foot (twinge really), but nothing stopping me from total normal activity. I'm running again on Thursday. Maybe a bit longer this time. 2 miles?

2011-04-19 12:17 PM

User image

Hi everyone.

Been offline for a few days.Should have been running the london marathon on sunday but had to pull out due to difficulties in training caused by a stomach problem i've had. Was in hospital for a colonoscopy on monday  so wasn't able to eat any food sunday,so spent all day watching the marathon wishing i was there. Was hoping to be back training today but still feel very tender round my stomach so decided to have another day off. Although these 3 days are making a mess of my training log. So now my focus is all on ironman europe in 14 weeks time.

Regards

Simon

2011-04-19 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey everyone!

Simon--Bummer that you had to pull out of the marathon--I hope your stomach issues clear up (or at least become bearable soon!

Lori--YES! Lets see that bike!! Also, I hope you back is fully healed--Take it somewhat easy this week--you don't want to put yourself in pain again!(although, I know how hard it is to take anything easy--esp. with a race coming up!)

Mike--glad to hear your foot's feeling better!

So I did a 3.5 mile run/walk with my coach last night--she's just getting back to running after a pretty bad ankle sprain, so she wanted to do 1min run/2 min walk---this was fine with me cause my running is far from good....but I kept up. --We then hit the pool--according to he, the total amount of distance was about 850 Meters--mixture of full swimming, catch-up drills, and kickboard pushing on my back--for about 2 seconds I actually felt like I was swimming right! I just need to remember what I was doing and repeat that!

Now for a question---When I was running last night, I noticed some pain right where my hip meets my leg (at the joint?) Anyway, it went away when I was walking, and while I was swimming, but after sitting down after class, and throughout the night, the pain came back--in fact, it kept me awake for part of the night! This morning I am still hurting, but it seems to hurt only when I lift the right leg (as if in a marching step) in a forward motion--to the side is fine....I took some advil, and once I got on the bike (not gonna miss my bike ride to school!) the pain was mostly gone....sitting in the class room now, it is making a painful appearance again...

SO....has anyone else dealt with pain like this? Also, what did you about it when you did?

Thanks!

2011-04-19 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
IT band, maybe? Hope its not any injury, and just a minor ache due to training!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72