General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2012-01-04 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3971308

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

mallen4574 - 2012-01-04 2:01 PM I am really starting to question my motivation to due this thing. Anybody else having motivation problems? I haven't even started and real volume yet and I'm feeling really blah about the whole race. Hopefully a trip to San Diego for some outside training at the end of the month will help. Anyone else burnt out?

Well, every time I look at the volume/time commitment I freak out a little, and I am following a pretty basic plan.  It hasn't even started yet, I am just repeating week 1 over and over again with some plus up on the swimming, and already am struggling with getting workouts in, I haven't missed yet, but it's a struggle. 

That being said, I have a training buddy and we are meeting up on Sundays for "long" runs, and will continue too throughout the plan, which he is also following.  So far we haven't missed one in weeks, weather hasn't stopped us from getting outside either.  We egg each other on via text, or Facebook, and will be doing a lot of our riding together as well.  If you want to join us, or get harassed by another local Spokane member, let me know, it does help.  Not sure if our speeds will be the same or not, he is a fair amount slower than I am when it comes to running but right now getting the miles in is what I need.  You are welcome to join us if it lines up for you.  I remember some training last year I did with him and originally he wasn't too keen on running outside in the snow, or cold, neither was I at first, but now I love it, and he seems to enjoy it too.

2012-01-04 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3595565

User image

Has everyone got their housing/hotels situated? Slim pickings right now and they want 5 night minimums at majority of these houses. I don't need to be on the lake or anything either.

Any other suggestions on places to stay a little bit outside the CDA? Or any help would be great.

2012-01-04 11:38 PM
in reply to: #3971753

User image

Veteran
Coeur d' Alene, ID
Ballyb3 - 2012-01-04 6:28 PM

Has everyone got their housing/hotels situated? Slim pickings right now and they want 5 night minimums at majority of these houses. I don't need to be on the lake or anything either.

Any other suggestions on places to stay a little bit outside the CDA? Or any help would be great.

you could check the Coeur d Alene casnio. It is about 30 min outside of town. Parts of Spokane Washington are 30 min to 1 hour away. You also might try Post Falls, ID it is about 15 min out of town.

Edited by mark.evans 2012-01-04 11:39 PM
2012-01-05 12:19 AM
in reply to: #3971445

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
thedallasceliac - 2012-01-04 3:16 PM

I can't believe I haven't thought about this before... but do those of us coming to the NW from the rest of the country need to be worried about the altitude?  Would a couple days there before the race to adjust be enough?

Coeur d'Alene is just short of 2200 feet, but it really isn't a problem. I live at sea level and did the race last year without any altitude problems at all.  A couple of days at the venue before the race is always a good idea anyway, but you shouldn't have any issues with altitude. Good luck in your prep!

Brad

2012-01-05 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3972009

User image

Florida
citaltfort - 2012-01-05 1:19 AM

I can't believe I haven't thought about this before... but do those of us coming to the NW from the rest of the country need to be worried about the altitude?  Would a couple days there before the race to adjust be enough?

Coeur d'Alene is just short of 2200 feet, but it really isn't a problem. I live at sea level and did the race last year without any altitude problems at all.  A couple of days at the venue before the race is always a good idea anyway, but you shouldn't have any issues with altitude. Good luck in your prep!

Brad

I'm from South Florida and the elevation didn't pose any problems for me either.  I arrived on Thursday before the race. 

I am also having a hard time getting motivated and I can't blame the weather. 

2012-01-05 9:58 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury

First Thanks Carl and smithe for your service...Motivation how about some prep races, worked into your training, kinda breaks up the 30 weeks.

I have a 9 mile trail race in a couple of weeks, a Half marathon in March, a international tri in april then HIM in May ...while IMCDA is always in the back of my mind I am looking forward to these other races in the mean time.

2012-01-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3972418

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
docfish - 2012-01-05 8:55 AM
citaltfort - 2012-01-05 1:19 AM

Brad

I'm from South Florida and the elevation didn't pose any problems for me either.  I arrived on Thursday before the race. 

I am also having a hard time getting motivated and I can't blame the weather. 

Thanks citalfort & docfish!  

2012-01-05 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Races are a good idea too. I have one easy tri planned, Snake River, plus some running events, Windermere hm and Bloomsday for sure.
2012-01-05 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3972009

Master
, California
citaltfort - 2012-01-04 10:19 PM

Brad

I saw a chart awhile back... not sure how scientific it is but it was a decent rough gauge of how your power output is affected by difference in altitude:

http://www.twowheelblogs.com/how-altitude-affects-power-output

So there is a slight difference from sea level but you probably won't feel it

2012-01-05 8:48 PM

User image

carlsbad
 You'll be fine.  I live 1 mile from the beach in san diego.  Cda was a non issue for me with altitude and I never heard it mentioned in any race reports or other conversations.  You wont even notice
2012-01-07 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

Thanks all.  I had figured if there was a big issue, someone would have mentioned it by now, but I feel much better knowing that if I suck, it's something else I couldn't control.

Ran a half this morning and ran with one of the guys "You are an Ironman" is based on for a little bit.  I didn't catch his name, but he was super inspiring and fun to talk to.  I bought the kindle version this afternoon and will be reading it some tomorrow.  He was so humble - said the other 5 athletes in the book were the rock stars.  

2012-01-11 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3977329

User image

Florida

It's only january and I am struggling with motivation!!!!!!!  Can't blame the weather in South Florida. 

Anyone else struggling?

2012-01-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3983845

User image

New user

Maple Valley, Washington
I too have days were I lack motivation, want to just sit down and enjoy watching a little TV.  It's cold and dark and wet up here in Western Washington this time of year.  Who in their right mind would want to train when there is always something easier to do?  What helps me is repeating this little saying, "A little training now beats a lot of pain later". 
2012-01-11 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3984345

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

I often have a tough time getting motivated to get out of bed early in the morning.  However, that usually passes once I hit the road, get on the trainer, hit the pool, etc.  After my workout, I'm always glad I did it.  Well, except for the day I fell and screwed up my shoulder - that day I wished I'd stayed in bed Wink

Just think about crossing that line in June and Reilly saying "you are an ironman"!

2012-01-11 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
I was really having a hard time with motivation a week ago. A couple things that helped get through it. 1. A snub... That's all I'll say on that one, but it did the trick2. You have to realize that just like the race you're going to go through some low points and some high points. It's a long journey and consistency is key. 3. The hardest part is getting out the door. Once I'm in the middle of my training session all the excuses I was making are quickly forgotten. So just start your workout and see where it goes from there. 4. I have very little sympathy for you. South Florida?!?! Come on! My eyelashes froze on my run this morning!
2012-01-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3984836

User image

Florida
mallen4574 - 2012-01-11 6:04 PMI was really having a hard time with motivation a week ago. A couple things that helped get through it. 1. A snub... That's all I'll say on that one, but it did the trick2. You have to realize that just like the race you're going to go through some low points and some high points. It's a long journey and consistency is key. 3. The hardest part is getting out the door. Once I'm in the middle of my training session all the excuses I was making are quickly forgotten. So just start your workout and see where it goes from there. 4. I have very little sympathy for you. South Florida?!?! Come on! My eyelashes froze on my run this morning!
It's supposed to be 47 degrees when I start my ride on Sunday morning and I (along with some of my buddies I am training with) am already making excuses. I know. We are spoiled. I guess it is time to get tough.I do agree that once you get going, it gets easier.

2012-01-11 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3985160

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

docfish - 2012-01-11 6:27 PM
mallen4574 - 2012-01-11 6:04 PMI was really having a hard time with motivation a week ago. A couple things that helped get through it. 1. A snub... That's all I'll say on that one, but it did the trick2. You have to realize that just like the race you're going to go through some low points and some high points. It's a long journey and consistency is key. 3. The hardest part is getting out the door. Once I'm in the middle of my training session all the excuses I was making are quickly forgotten. So just start your workout and see where it goes from there. 4. I have very little sympathy for you. South Florida?!?! Come on! My eyelashes froze on my run this morning!
It's supposed to be 47 degrees when I start my ride on Sunday morning and I (along with some of my buddies I am training with) am already making excuses. I know. We are spoiled. I guess it is time to get tough.I do agree that once you get going, it gets easier.

Went for a run this afternoon in the beautiful, and sunny day, it was in the 20's....

2012-01-12 4:31 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury
Hey is it pronounced Spo-can or Spo-cane...I don't want to sound like a tourist
2012-01-12 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3985421

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
kenbert61 - 2012-01-12 2:31 AMHey is it pronounced Spo-can or Spo-cane...I don't want to sound like a tourist
Its can.
2012-01-12 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3985421

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
Yes it is Spo-can. Home of the Gonzayga not Gonzogga bulldogs. They both get butchered by the national media.
2012-01-12 3:18 PM

I've been riding with a Meetup group in the Sacramento area. That motivates me to get out and ride. The weather has been amazing. Has been sunny and 60 at noon. Find something that makes you feel like you have to be there. Also, a great motto, You will Never regret a doing a workout but you will Always regret not doing one.

2012-01-12 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3986705

Master
, California

mallen4574 - 2012-01-12 11:34 AM Yes it is Spo-can. Home of the Gonzayga not Gonzogga bulldogs. They both get butchered by the national media.

Don't get me started on Moscow, Idaho.

2012-01-12 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

Has everyone figured out hotels/housing? (Hope so - not too much left!)

After much thought, we're staying in Spokane for all the nights leading up to and after the race, except for the night before, where we're staying in Post Falls (at a real gem of a hotel for $180/rm/night).  I wanted to stay in CdA that night but didn't act fast enough.  

I am proud of myself for thinking ahead and getting separate rooms for us for the night before.  I am not a happy camper when I'm trying to sleep and he accidentally wakes me up.  Don't want that anxiety the night before the race. 

As far as training goes, I had a fabulous 3k swim this morning!  

2012-01-12 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3985160

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

docfish - 2012-01-11 8:27 PM

Same here on Sat/Sun.  We're wimping out and doing computrainer on Sat and will wait until noonish to head out on Sun.

2012-01-13 12:06 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury

Thanks for the  lesson, staying in Spokane at The Davenport Tues and Wed, then off to the CDA resort for 5 nights then after the race off to Whitefish, Montana and some sightseeing at Glacier National Park...I am from North Carolina and have never been to that part of the country so I figured we can see some of it.

Training.... nice swim also this morning, ride Saturday might be on the trainer...40's and windy ...Yeah I am spoiled also, then long run Sunday.

We will all have to get together for a couple practice swims Thursday and Friday race week.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56