BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-01-21 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4002420

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - CLOSED

So I finally felt well enough to get a workout in last night- a 30 minute easy ride.  Today, the schedule calls for a bike/run brick- but looking out the window I think it will be a bike, snow shovel, then maybe hike the 5 or so blocks to the treadmill.  Or most likely, bike, snow shovel the driveway, and just push the run till tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

2012-01-21 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3942327

User image

Veteran
Another great day in the pool. I did a 1.5 mile swim in 1 hr 18 min. Last tri season my swim times where dismal at best so I wanted to do a swim focused winter rotation. It's nice to see my hard work paying off.
2012-01-22 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4003905

User image

Hubbie - 2012-01-21 10:48 PM Another great day in the pool. I did a 1.5 mile swim in 1 hr 18 min. Last tri season my swim times where dismal at best so I wanted to do a swim focused winter rotation. It's nice to see my hard work paying off.

Nice!

2012-01-22 3:20 PM

User image

Expert

Sunday Morning Weigh in Results!!!! 

I gained 3lbs.  I'm disappointed, but I know where I went wrong.  I had a terrible terrible night Friday night and day on Saturday--diet wise.  But, I just need to get keep going, and keep working harder on my diet, cause the exercise is there....

Today I went hard and ran 5 miles followed by a 400yd swim...it felt amazing.  

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!!

2012-01-22 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Hello team.   I am back.  It was a great vacation.  I only worked out three times all week.  It was truly well needed time off.  Will get back on track next week.  

Glad to see everyone doing well with their workouts. 

2012-01-22 4:31 PM

User image

Swim clinic this am and a 3+ mile run this pm.  It feels nice to be doing my scheduled workouts again. 

I finally made it to REI today and picked up a new trainer (Kinetic- Road Machine).  Just in time too- this looks to be a bike heavy week on my schedule.

Will

2012-01-23 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hello everyone! It's a new week, and I'm looking forward to getting back on the wagon. I have a bagful of running/swimming gear, and a date with the gym tonight.

Shane - I suspected your max HR was higher than mine, which was what prompted me to ask what your RPE was in that range. I agree, it sounds like the 160s should be a good long distance range for you, and you can certainly adjust it as need if you find your ranges as a whole are shifting the longer you stick with your training. Also, thanks for the "recovery week" comment. It's nice to have someone put things into perspective when you're beating yourself up about missing workouts!

Hubbie - Way to go with the 1.5M swim!

Tyler - It's good to see that you're not beating yourself up too much over the slight gain on the scale. Everyone is bound to see the occasional upswing. I'm feeling good vibes for this week. You're still down overall too, and that's what really matters!

Ken - Welcome back!

Will - How's the new trainer treating you? I have the same one, and it's great. I forget, do you have any DVDs to go with it? If not, I could lend you one at the next swim clinic to try it out, then you could get it back to me for the last one.

2012-01-23 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4005868

User image

KiterChick - 2012-01-23 11:51 AM

Will - How's the new trainer treating you? I have the same one, and it's great. I forget, do you have any DVDs to go with it? If not, I could lend you one at the next swim clinic to try it out, then you could get it back to me for the last one.

Sarah- I like the trainer so far, but tonight is the first big workout on it.  I know people love the Kurt Kinetic trainers, so that is why I went with it.  I figure if I have any problems, it has to be user error!  I don't have any videos, but I would love to borrow one.  Thanks a million for the offer.

So here's my question (noob one for sure, but we all got them).  The one thing I don't understand with trainers is how much to tighten the resistance unit against the back wheel.  The instructions say to tighten the resistance unit until it touches the back wheel, then turn the knob 2-5 times after that.  So, my question, are these full turns are little quarter turns?  How do I know if the resistance unit is too tight against the back wheel?

Thanks- Will

2012-01-23 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4005913

User image

New user

I usually go about three full turns on my KK trainer.  I find the best thing to do is to spin the tire a bit and stop it suddenly and see if it slips.  It shouldn't slip in order for the trainer to work properly under a heavy load.  Enjoy it!  I've put probably close to 300 miles on my trainer this winter!

Shane

2012-01-23 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4005913

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Will - I'll bring by one of my videos next session. As for the resistance, it would be pretty difficult to put the resistance too high. Generally, the issue is not enough, which can cause the slipping Shane alluded to. Around three full turns is what I usually end up using too. You'll feel it slip if it's too light, then you can hop off and give it another crank if needed. Good luck!

Edited by KiterChick 2012-01-23 2:46 PM
2012-01-24 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Back to training.  I had two pretty good swim sessions.  Working on technique.  I will be seeing my coach next week.  

I also needed to get back on the bike so I spent some quality time with my trainer last night.  Its much easier when you can read on the bike.  Nice distraction to how much it hurts your posterior.  But I made it my required distance.  Yippee. 

2012-01-24 10:01 AM

User image

New user

Hoping to ride and run tonight after work.  So far training has been going well and I've felt like I've been progressing.  I also took advantage of the Total Immersion deal through Schwaggle.com that was posted in the general forum for $40.  Hopefully that'll help the swimming a bit!

Shane

2012-01-24 11:45 AM

User image

New user
First run on the road instead of treadmill in months, felt good but hurt the knees a bit. Is it right that the pace is a bit slower on the road?
2012-01-24 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Fire medic- I also use Total Immersion in swimming. Before then I could barley do a quarter mile. Now I'm pulling 1.5 miles!

I downloaded a new cycling mix and all I have to say is OMG!!!!! I worked my tail off. In 40 minutes I was done I was so spent but I felt great. I ended up with sweet dripping off the bike landing in two impressive puddles. I've found my new favorite mix!
2012-01-24 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4008277

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Hubbie - 2012-01-24 12:30 PM

I downloaded a new cycling mix and all I have to say is OMG!!!!! I worked my tail off. In 40 minutes I was done I was so spent but I felt great. I ended up with sweet dripping off the bike landing in two impressive puddles. I've found my new favorite mix!

Hubbie, what the name of the mix?  I need a good one. 

2012-01-24 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4006501

User image

Had a really good first trainer workout last night- I'm gonna have to make a few adjustments (up the resistance- I only used 2 turns, based on my results and ya'lls feedback; sounds like a third turn is in order).  Have another trainer ride scheduled for Thursday night, then coach wants me to do a field test on Saturday to determine some new HR ranges for the next few months.

I am gonna "reschedule" today's swim and gonna go for a run this evening instead.  Its just to nice of a day to spend it inside.

2012-01-24 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4008289

User image

Veteran
kmatt318 - 2012-01-24 12:36 PM

Hubbie - 2012-01-24 12:30 PM

Hubbie, what the name of the mix?  I need a good one. 

I used Rachel Buschert, I got her mix from MotionTraxx.com I got it as a free gift so I'm not to sure how much it costs.  I also use Greg Cook whom I also got from Motion Traxx. Both of them are excellent. Rachel is more for strength and Greg is more for speed.

2012-01-24 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone! Got in a run yesterday, which I took a bit slower than usual, but still felt pretty good. Had to work late today, but planning to hop on the trainer tomorrow morning.

Ken - I never thought of reading on the trainer. I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough for that...

Shane - I saw that Shwaggle deal. I thought about getting it, but honestly, the best thing I could do at this point is actually get myself to the pool. I can worry about adding to that once it becomes more of a habit...

Chris - Do you add an incline to your treadmill workouts? Unless you're adding at least 1%, it will be faster running on the treadmill because the movement of the belt gives you a bit of momentum.

Hubbie - That's great you found workouts you like. So are these just programs that you listen to, rather than watch?

Will - Today was definitely a great day to get outside around here. Hope you enjoyed your run!

2012-01-24 7:53 PM

User image

New user

I'm right there with you on needing to get in the pool more Sarah.  I just figured at half off, I couldn't really go wrong.  I have a feeling I would have gotten it anyway at some point so I might as well save the $40 while there's a deal to be had.  It certainly can't hurt my swimming (if you want to call it that)...

Lesson of the night for me though.  I went for a treadmill run with the plan to do 6.5 miles.  I started at a pace a bit quicker than what I normally do.  I got halfway through the run and just totally bonked.  My HR wouldn't work it's way down and I generally felt horrible in the run.  So rather than push and risk injury I called it about half way though.  Lesson learned though.  I know I'm more than capable of the distance since I've done it before.  I just can't start that hard.  Pacing becomes key in longer distances.  Got it!

Shane

2012-01-25 6:29 AM
in reply to: #4009255

User image

Expert

Rest Day for me yesterday.  Going to get in 4-5 miles this evening though, the weather here has been pretty freaking good the past few weeks.  On Monday I did get in an 800yd swim, which is my longest to date, and 100yds farther then my sprint in June will be.

Question for you all:

I am training to do 2 sprints in June, then will be focusing on my Olympic that is 3 months later.  I already have the Olympic training plan picked out.  My question is how should I train for the sprint?  When it comes to 12 weeks before the sprint, I should be able to swim/bike/run the distances that I need to cover in the sprint.  Should I just work on speed, or keep upping my endurance??

2012-01-25 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4009656

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Good morning all.  This morning had a good ride on the trainer.  I know that is amazing to say but it was good.  

RushTogether - 2012-01-25 6:29 AM

I am training to do 2 sprints in June, then will be focusing on my Olympic that is 3 months later.  I already have the Olympic training plan picked out.  My question is how should I train for the sprint?  When it comes to 12 weeks before the sprint, I should be able to swim/bike/run the distances that I need to cover in the sprint.  Should I just work on speed, or keep upping my endurance??

Tyler, I would say that you should find a similar training plan for the sprint as for the Olympic.  IMHO, you want to get into good habits and a consistent training plan should help with that. 

Ken

2012-01-25 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Got in a decent trainer ride this morning. I was hurting, but that wasn't a surprise, given the time I've taken off recently. Not too worried at this point regardless, since I basically came into last season cold (a whopping two trainer rides ALL winter!), so either way, I would hope to have a stronger base than that. In other news, I have a weird slightly painful feeling in my right side when I move certain ways. Hoping it's just a tweaked muscle that will go away on its own. I tend to get paranoid about these kind of things since A) I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, and B) I'm already registered for all of my races and thus worry about getting injured. Hopefully should be gone in a couple of days...

Shane - That's good you're keeping an eye on pacing. It will be even more difficult to do in a race setting. I burned myself out in a couple of marathons by going out too hard in the first half, which was not fun!

Tyler - I agree with Ken, you should find a sprint training program that you feel meets your goals. If the Olympic were closer to the sprints, I'd recommend you follow the Olympic program, and that effort would carry you through the sprints, but at this point, a more steady progression would be preferable, especially since you have the time for it. As for speed vs. endurance, I'd say a bit of both can't hurt, although as you train, you'll probably find what you prefer as your focus, depending on what your strengths/weaknesses are.

Ken - I had a good trainer ride too! Definitely itching to get back outside, but the forecast isn't looking too favorable for that at the moment, so I might as well make the most of my current situation.

2012-01-25 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4010827

User image

Got a 5+ mile run in during lunch today- a little tougher on the lungs than I would have expected.  i guess I am still getting over that cold a little bit.  Still, any day I can get outside is a good one.
2012-01-26 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Another pretty good swim today.  Love being able to say that.  The swim was good not because I was quick or because of the distance but because I was able to do it without being winded or feeling 80.  

I have a tempo run today at lunch.  Should be fun.  Glad that it has warmed up.  

2012-01-26 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Started learning how to do IMs in the pool today. I really felt strange doing different strokes. How long did it take for anyone else to feel comfortable with the butterfly stroke? I was moving at such a slow speed to thought I would get to the other end if the pool at closing time!

Other than that I will be taking this weekend off. Have a much awaited for girls weekend out.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 22