BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-02-29 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3943465

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL

Mitch,

I saw the bike transport, but since it is a direct flight, I was thinking that I would bring it myself. I can wrench pretty well, so I am not concerned about taking it apart, putting it together.

Plus, that way I get to ride my bike the last week.

I am on the fence though. 300.00 vs. 180.00 or so to take it myself, but the hassle factor of a bike at an airport is pretty high. We'll see.

2012-03-02 9:23 AM

New user

Eli - What is the 'insurance' difference for the 2 options?  By insurance I mean what do you get if there is a problem.  All in all $120 so that when you get there you have one less thing to fiddle with might be money well spent.  I would be breaking down as I tried to figure out how I would get it from the airport to the hotel and so on though.

Great about the Disney.. your daughter rocks!!

This weekend if my husband's first Tri ever.  Some great BTers have joined in so if all else fails he will have fun.

2012-03-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4076838

User image

Master

The putting a bike back together thing isn't a problem for me.

I double checked the cost, and it would be 375.00 vs. 180, plus I have to bring it down to Miami, so an extra 90 minutes plus of driving.

I may check with fedex to see if I can ship to the hotel for cheaper.

2012-03-02 3:23 PM

User image

Master

Hey Tri People!

Another crazy few weeks for me. This weekend, we are having a "staycation" in Miami. Used some frequent stay points to get a hotel room and we are spending a night in Miami. My wife and Daughter are going to a show, and on Sunday, my wife and I will run the Miami 13.1. Her 5th race weekend (4 halfs and one marathon) in a row.

Then, next weekend I am away, and the weekend after that is IM San Juan.

As I said, my training has been a little haphazard. I am faster, but haven't been putting in the long bike rides that are the core of HIM and IM training.

That being said, I am going to ride 60 tomorrow with Nick, to see how fit I am at a slower/longer pace. I will also try to get in another 2 hour ride during the week.

Due to travel, I won't have lots of chance to bike after this weekend, so I need to get what I can. Also, being less than 2 weeks away, I plan to keep up a stiff training pace into next week, and then use the final week as serious taper/recovery. 

I figure if I stop beating myself up on Wednesday next week, I should be in good shape.

The plus side of going to NY next weekend is that not only do I get to see my Mom, I get to run some of the IM NY/NJ course to see how bad it will suck.

How is everyone else doing? Any good weekend plans?

2012-03-06 7:56 AM

User image

Master

Hey All!

How was the weekend? My Saturday ride went great. We rode hard with a tailwind, we averaged around 24 while moving. I think it was 21 with lights, stops, traffic, etc.

The way back we were heading into a 11 mph headwind. It was rough, but fun. We did more bursts, drafting, etc on the way back.

Overall, it was a great training ride, and made me feel more confident about my upcoming race. 

Saturday eveingin my family and I went to Miami. I ended up walking about 6 miles round trip to packet pickup for the 1/2 marathon on Sunday and my calves were killing me. 

Sunday my wife and I ran together in 2:11:40. Easy run, and she wasn't feeling great, so we were happy with the time.

Yesterday I did nothing but overeat. Back at it today and I hope to get a decent ride in this afternoon. Left calf is still tender, so i will be babying it till it feels better.

2012-03-06 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Mitch and I had a great ride Sunday! My training this year has been sparse and I knew I needed to get 50 in if there was even a slight chance of me doing Oceanside.

2012-03-06 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4083204

User image

Master

ironjim - 2012-03-06 1:24 PM Mitch and I had a great ride Sunday! My training this year has been sparse and I knew I needed to get 50 in if there was even a slight chance of me doing Oceanside.

Awesome! That long ride is always nicer with a friend!

2012-03-08 2:12 PM

User image

Master

OK party people!

Lets get some chatter going here. 10 days till my first try of the season! I am excited, and a little nervous.

Had some good weeks, some bad weeks, but overall my training, and my runs and rides last week are making me feel that I should do OK. Not PR quality as I had originally thought, but certainly a good showing.

Traveling this weekend will make my taper more like a cliff jump, but that always seems to work well for me.

My biggest challenge is always to NOT work out, since you can't really cram for fitness.

Anyone have anything good this weekend?

2012-03-08 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
My first race of the season is in 2 weeks and I am terrified!! Definitely not going into it with the confidence I was hoping for but should be a good tune up to keep me on track for a Full later in the year! Mitch and I are planning a big ride again Sunday, hopefully I will make him suffer as he did me last week!!
2012-03-08 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4087601

User image

Master

ironjim - 2012-03-08 5:43 PM My first race of the season is in 2 weeks and I am terrified!! Definitely not going into it with the confidence I was hoping for but should be a good tune up to keep me on track for a Full later in the year! Mitch and I are planning a big ride again Sunday, hopefully I will make him suffer as he did me last week!!

Thats the spirit!!!

2012-03-09 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
had to take the last few days off due being down with the flu which has now spread throughout my entire house. as much as i hate to say it - it's nice having a couple days off. i wonder if i've been trying to do too much too soon. fitting in 4 bikes, 3 runs and 2 swims is my current goal before i start the HIM training plan in about a month.  

2012-03-10 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Did a nice 10 mile run this morn.  Just not enough time after my foot healed to really get up to par for the run but I'll do 12 next week.  We'll see.  Long ride with Jim tomorrow with massive hills.  Getting ready for a suffer-fest!!!

Hope all is well for everyone!

2012-03-11 1:48 PM

New user

I have been quietly (insert trying not to whine) working on being happy and comfortable in the saddle.  Finally got it right this weekend so bought the bike (and stuff).  I have a sufferfest coming in June (100 miles to nowhere).  Totally lame but now I am not doing my rides on a hybrid.. Bessie has been retired.

My training kicks in monday.. I have one in June, July and August

If any of you are in ATL June 2nd... there is an incredible sufferfest.  1 10mile loop (with hills that make you cry for your mommy), as many as you can do.. pulled pork, excellent beer, boiled peanuts, hecklers (see beer) and a coolinator (a device that dumps cold water on you to cool off between laps).  Check out the GA board (some of you will recognize the usual suspects). It is free.

Eli - best of luck.  But you dont need luck 'cause you will own it. 

2012-03-11 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Attended the North Carolina Multi-Sport Expo on Sat. Got some good info during the classes and several vendors were there as well.

Today I got in a quick swim and took the bike out. I recently did some adjustments to my bike fit and todays ride was more comfortable. I could stay aero longer than before. Still getting used to a tri bike though.
2012-03-12 7:14 AM

I have been doing really well this month running and riding, but I have been having trouble finding myself in the pool.  Only swimming about once a week. Once I start the real HIM plan I am sure I will have to be going in the morning, which really makes me want to just give up now.  I so hate working out in the mornings.  At least we jumped forward an hour which means my runs will be done in the light and I can ride outside after work.  Now only if there was way to swim in my bathtub, I would be set.  Lol!
2012-03-12 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4091566

User image

South Florida

Happy Monday people! Day light savings sucks. Just an FYI.

I've been training my a$$ off on the bike recently due to some type of injury i have in my left groin area. I get about 2 miles into my run and i get cramps/stabbing pains in my groin area. The weirrd thing is it only hurts hen i run. Not biking or swimming. Not sure whats going on, but i have an appt with a sports doc later this week.

Hopefully i'll be able to get fixed soon so i can run in part of a 100-miler relay and my HIM in April. Fingers crossed!

2012-03-14 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4091619

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
nvalaitis - 2012-03-12 5:49 AM

Happy Monday people! Day light savings sucks. Just an FYI.

I've been training my a$$ off on the bike recently due to some type of injury i have in my left groin area. I get about 2 miles into my run and i get cramps/stabbing pains in my groin area. The weirrd thing is it only hurts hen i run. Not biking or swimming. Not sure whats going on, but i have an appt with a sports doc later this week.

Hopefully i'll be able to get fixed soon so i can run in part of a 100-miler relay and my HIM in April. Fingers crossed!

Hey Nick, sounds like a strained hip flexor, have you had it looked at yet?
2012-03-14 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4096042

User image

Master

Hey All,

How goes it. Nick, how is the hip?

So, this week hasn't seen a lot of training. Not too worried, since my race is this weekend, but I would have liked to have gotten in a little more "taper."

Looking forward to my trip to Puerto Rico. It will be a nice family vacation. With any luck, I can go somewhere between 5:00 and 5:30 at the race. 

And then.....more craziness. We have a 100 mile relay the week after, and then I travel for work again.

Whew, I am tired just thinking about it.

2012-03-14 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4096578

User image

South Florida
 Went on Monday to get the hip/groin looked at. The awesome part is i called at 8:30am and was seen by the doc by 10:30. He some some A.R.T.  and showed me some stretches. Basically i have a strained Pectineus Muscle. So the last few days i've been stretching it, icing it, and some light weight training. So far it feels good. Just got back from a 2-miler and had zero pain granted it was at a slow pace, im just glad to not to have any pain. So now the slow build back up continues. ON the other hand, i've been doing a lot of work my bike trainer and really starting to see improvements. Im stoked!
2012-03-14 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4096642

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

nvalaitis - 2012-03-14 3:49 PM  Went on Monday to get the hip/groin looked at. The awesome part is i called at 8:30am and was seen by the doc by 10:30. He some some A.R.T.  and showed me some stretches. Basically i have a strained Pectineus Muscle. So the last few days i've been stretching it, icing it, and some light weight training. So far it feels good. Just got back from a 2-miler and had zero pain granted it was at a slow pace, im just glad to not to have any pain. So now the slow build back up continues. ON the other hand, i've been doing a lot of work my bike trainer and really starting to see improvements. Im stoked!

Great news!

2012-03-14 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4096578

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
eliwashere - 2012-03-14 2:54 PM

Hey All,

How goes it. Nick, how is the hip?

So, this week hasn't seen a lot of training. Not too worried, since my race is this weekend, but I would have liked to have gotten in a little more "taper."

Looking forward to my trip to Puerto Rico. It will be a nice family vacation. With any luck, I can go somewhere between 5:00 and 5:30 at the race. 

And then.....more craziness. We have a 100 mile relay the week after, and then I travel for work again.

Whew, I am tired just thinking about it.

Wow Eli, lot's on your plate!  Best of luck!

2012-03-15 8:20 AM

User image

Master

Nick,

That is great news! I think our relay should be interesting considering the injuries.

So, as my race is this weekend, I have been thinking about my perspective, and how it has changed. I remember my first 1/2 iron. It was a sufferfest. I hadn't trained enough, had never ridden 3 hours on the bike, and was totally unprepared.

Now, I feel like I didn't prepare enough, but was doing 5+ hours a week of training. 

I know that my training may not have been perfect, but I was fairly consistent, and I have come to believe that that is one of the keys to success as a recreational triathlete.

2012-03-15 12:53 PM

So, my Olympic race in June just got cancelled.  Which is a huge pain the .  Apparently they couldn't get the permits to race on national parks ground here in DC this year.  Which means I have to travel to race now.  Which isn't a big deal, but it is really frustrating that they took my money without knowing if they would be able to run the event.  Oh, well.  On a plus note I get my money back and have found a sprint and international distance for the same price that the DC Tri was going to be.  This freaking city is so expensive.  It does mean that I have to replan my whole race season and training. 
2012-03-15 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4097871

User image

Master

Nimue - 2012-03-15 12:53 PM So, my Olympic race in June just got cancelled.  Which is a huge pain the .  Apparently they couldn't get the permits to race on national parks ground here in DC this year.  Which means I have to travel to race now.  Which isn't a big deal, but it is really frustrating that they took my money without knowing if they would be able to run the event.  Oh, well.  On a plus note I get my money back and have found a sprint and international distance for the same price that the DC Tri was going to be.  This freaking city is so expensive.  It does mean that I have to replan my whole race season and training. 

Nimue, I was just reading about that. WTC is having a heck of time with the 5150 races. On the plus note, I am sure you will find something EVEN MORE AWESOME!!!!

2012-03-15 3:30 PM

User image

Master

So, I figured I would ride my bike one last time before putting it in the bag for my flight tomorrow.

I hadn't been on it in a week, got out my helmet, water botttle, pumped up the tires, shoes, did the one foot hop over the wood floors to get the right shoe (I have two pairs that are the same except one has look and one has shimano spds and I had one of each by accident).

Got set up, started riding and then at the first stop sign I noticed it was really breezy....then I realized I didn't have my helmet on.

So I came home. And now there really isn't enough time to go for a ride.

But, I am alive, so that is good.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's If the world is ending, I'm going to tri!- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16