BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-02-18 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3949904

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
I haven't yet Ali, but I will. I slept about 12 hours last night and had a good hike with my puppy tonight. Feeling much better now, unfortunately I have to travel to Ottawa all next week for work, a little worried about getting seriously derailed off the training track.

2012-02-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4053124

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Omahabritt - 2012-02-17 11:29 AM
justinfss - 2012-02-16 11:22 PMI have never played around with speed work in run training, just straight training for increasing the distance I can run without heart attack. I think I am about ready to get into a solid training mode with different types of workouts benifitting different aspects of the run...and the swim and bike for that matter. I think for the most part I have been just plodding through the disciplines, but it is time to get serious. Seeing how much time I can drop off a 5K time with just a 'little' bit of dedicated training has hopefully shown me a light at the end of the tunnel.Speaking of training though, I have been off the wagon for a good week now since returning from holidays. I went right onto the midnight shift when I got back , and I have been very lazy/tired. Well tonight is my last midnight and time to get back at it! I think a good way to ensure I keep with it is signing up for some races, so that is what my night may entail here...time to burn some plastic!
I think that mixing up your training is important not only for improvement but making it easier to stick with it and not get bored. It's always fun to do different things at different effort levels(well, sometimes it's not 'fun' 'till it's over ). It's hard for me to get back into the swing of things after a vacation, and I can't imagine how hard it would be in addition to having to work overnight, but just getting out there is usually the hardest part. You can do it! So did you sign up for any races? For me, that's what keeps me honest and on track!--Ali

x2 mixing it up is very important IMO. As your stress your body, if you do so in the same way, intensity, duration, etc. day in and day out your performance will plateau for quickly. The human body is amazing at being extremely efficient, so b/c of that you should always be varying your training with new loads, intensities, workouts. With constant change your body can never adapt and thus your can extend the time until you plateau. Does this make sense? Anyone agree/disagree?

I am off for a 90 minute run, the I can start my recovery week...hello nap time!

2012-02-20 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4054875

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
justinfss - 2012-02-18 7:14 PMI haven't yet Ali, but I will. I slept about 12 hours last night and had a good hike with my puppy tonight. Feeling much better now, unfortunately I have to travel to Ottawa all next week for work, a little worried about getting seriously derailed off the training track.
Come on Justin! Don't use work as an excuse! You of all people, who can run in the the middle of the night in temps so cold I think it would literally make me cry! Bring your workout gear and plan what workouts you want to get done. Yes, it's harder when you travel but not impossible. Someone on BT said this and it's stuck with me..."when you don't feel like working out, remember what it feels like to be unfit". It's always a choice, but which do you want to be (fit or unfit)?!? Helps me get out of bed at 5am when I want nothing more than to sleep, sleep, sleep! . ---Ali
2012-02-20 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Alright I just want to post some discussion topics for the week

Dynamic vs Static stretching; which do you do or do you do any? pre/post workout/race

Discuss...

I am in a nice recovery week and get today off...feels good! Run went very well yesterday and I am very happy with where that it is right now. It's almost march guys so the season is closing in for a lot of us, winter should be melting away soon!

2012-02-20 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

I always stretch after a workout, always static streching.  Depending on what I do the length varies--swim-2 min in the pool, bike-5 min, run-10 min.  I don't ever stretch before. Race day, I'll do a little dynamic stretching before-just a couple minutes.  I also always walk about 1/8-1/4 mile before I run, depending on how far I'm running, and about 1/8 mile after.

Ben, glad your run went well.

Brian, hope you're having fun camping!!

Justen, I don't know if there is anything "special" about mile repeats, I just like the variety in speed workouts--miles, 800's, 400's, etc.  800's are my favorites though.

I was able to get outside on the bike yesterday, although my feet froze and there was still a fair amount of ice in the shadows to deal with.  I start swim lessons, 2x a week tomorrow.  Looking forward to improving my form and reducing my times.

Having a little trouble reconciling the BT beginner HIM program with training for my HM in May.  For example this week has only 3 runs (2- 30 min, very easy runs and a 60 min run/30 bike combo).  I try to get in 4 runs a week, and my long run has been 10 miles every other week FOREVER, so I really want to increase.  Figure, I'll do my long run in place of the 60 min run, then bike, then I have a swim lesson after.  Trying not to overdo it, but it's hard to fit in everything I want to do.  Oh, and I've got that stair race this weekend too, so I need to throw in at least 2 days of real stairs too!  

--Ali

2012-02-20 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Thanks Ali! I packed my running gear, and am looking forward to exploring my nations capital by foot!

2012-02-20 12:47 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Stretching is a very interesting topic.

As someone who plays a decent amount of hockey (goaltender) stretching is a considerably larger topic on those boards than anywhere aside from Contortionists-R-Us.com. People used to laugh at the Russians when they would take to the ice in the 70's doing what at the time seemed bizarre dynamic stretches. It took decades for research to demonstrate they were right, and static stretching often caused a great deal more problems than it helped. Muscles need to be warm to perform, and stretching is part of that.

I don't static stretch before a run, or a game, but once warmed up anything is fair. I find stretching afterwards particularly good for recovery (don't stretch and I'm a good deal more stiff in the morning). Some professional goaltenders would warm up and stretch for 1.5 hours before playing, and I try to learn from that wisdom.

2012-02-20 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4056746

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
marvintpa - 2012-02-20 12:47 PM

Stretching is a very interesting topic.

As someone who plays a decent amount of hockey (goaltender) stretching is a considerably larger topic on those boards than anywhere aside from Contortionists-R-Us.com. People used to laugh at the Russians when they would take to the ice in the 70's doing what at the time seemed bizarre dynamic stretches. It took decades for research to demonstrate they were right, and static stretching often caused a great deal more problems than it helped. Muscles need to be warm to perform, and stretching is part of that.

I don't static stretch before a run, or a game, but once warmed up anything is fair. I find stretching afterwards particularly good for recovery (don't stretch and I'm a good deal more stiff in the morning). Some professional goaltenders would warm up and stretch for 1.5 hours before playing, and I try to learn from that wisdom.

russians...always ahead of the game

2012-02-20 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
My buddy just lent me a book for motivation called ' Born to Run', and I just read a quote that I really enjoyed...

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every mornong in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle
- when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Roger Bannister.
2012-02-21 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Justin that is a great read and some great motivation too. Also probably why so many people are running in Vibrams right now.

Did my first test swim in the water today, a 1000 TT. Swam in 14:48 which was good, but showed room for improvement, especially in my pacing. Swam a 1:20 first 100 and fell to an overall pace of 1:28. Happy with the effort though and a sign my swim is in a good spot being Feb right now.

2012-02-21 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

"Training is about learning to hurt" - Chrissie Wellington

Think about that the next time you start flaking on your workout

2012-02-21 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I have to stretch after a workout due to hip pain issues, if I don't I get hip pain, and stretching seems to be the only thing that helps.  I also learned that stretching was key when doing my first marathon training, I got plantar fasciitis, I found a couple good stretches that I do post workout.  Even just 5 minutes makes a huge difference for me.  I also had a local pro tell me to do yoga once a week for my ironman training so I try to do an hour of yoga each week on my rest day.  I will do light stretching prior to workouts if I have a little extra time.  For longer workouts, runs and bikes, I will also try to stretch a little during the workout, but I'm not consistent.  After a run, I try to walk it out, read that one minute post run walk time per mile is a good cooldown, then I stretch.

I have my first race of the season this Sunday, Colonial Half Marathon in Williamsburg, VA.  I haven't done any specific HM training though.  I did it last year and it's a good run fitness test that helps keep me motivated over the winter too. 

2012-02-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4059379

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
bcagle25 - 2012-02-21 6:19 PM

Need to take that to heart more...I can push myself, but to the point of hurting, not so much.

Got my "postal swim" in today.  OK, so we know I'm a slow swimmer, for now I'm OK with that(see issue above, not wanting to hurt), and I had to do a continuous swim of 2000 after warm up.  Although I knew I would be slow, I timed myself anyway and at the end, I was at 55 minutes and not tired, so I went another 200 to hit 60 minutes.

Had my 1st swim lesson yesterday, and it went well.  Form is ok, but my elbows aren't high enough and my legs need more streamlining.  Also did some seated hill repeats on the bike.  That was hard, but really fun.  Choose a hill that's looong to run up, it was easier on the bike, but still a challenge when you do it 7x.

Hope everyone is having a good week!  ---Ali

2012-02-23 3:28 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
On vacation this week in Florida. No bike but got some time in on a spin bike. No real pool but got in some time in a 20 yard recreational pool. Lots of running. The shoes can always come along. As usual I feel great on vacation. Likely due to the extra 2-3 hours of sleep I am getting every night.

I am really starting to visualize the Boston marathon. I am nervous but excited. I want to try to break three hours and I think I have a shot at it. It will likely hurt a bit......

I rarely stretch. I feel guilty about it but not guilty enough to do it aggressively. It works ok but flexibility is certainly not my strong suit. I always let the stretching go in favor of more cardio training.
2012-02-23 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Well I am in the justin category of having a hard time getting back into the swing of things after vacation. I did get in an 8 mile run which is the longest I have done in probably 15 years. It was on the beach, great day so I just kept plugging along at a nice easy pace.

We got home the other day, but with catching up on work, unpacking and cleaning up has taken my evenings up. Plus I have been exhausted! 

So tomorrow morning will be the day to get back into it! Going to get my swim in first thing.

Talking about good books, I did finish "Becoming an Ironman" and started "You Are and Ironman". Both are good books and I find them motivational.

2012-02-25 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4061057

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Omahabritt - 2012-02-22 1:59 PM

Need to take that to heart more...I can push myself, but to the point of hurting, not so much.

Got my "postal swim" in today.  OK, so we know I'm a slow swimmer, for now I'm OK with that(see issue above, not wanting to hurt), and I had to do a continuous swim of 2000 after warm up.  Although I knew I would be slow, I timed myself anyway and at the end, I was at 55 minutes and not tired, so I went another 200 to hit 60 minutes.

Had my 1st swim lesson yesterday, and it went well.  Form is ok, but my elbows aren't high enough and my legs need more streamlining.  Also did some seated hill repeats on the bike.  That was hard, but really fun.  Choose a hill that's looong to run up, it was easier on the bike, but still a challenge when you do it 7x.

Great job on completing your postal swim, a 60 minute straight swim is a milestone in and of itself! 7x hill repeats sound tough too!  Keep it up!

2012-02-25 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Thanks Matt, it's been a good week. Hey GOOD LUCK tomorrow on your half marathon! I'm sure you'll do a great job!! Did my 2nd "race" of the year this morning...up 40 floors of stairs in the tallest building in Omaha. Now I'm coughing like a pack a day smoker. It's a fun race, not being a sprinter, it's the shortest, but hardest race I've ever done (8min 45 sec this year). Local firefighers do it with all their gear on-amazing. Going up, up, up like that is a whole different ballgame, if you've never done anything like that before! With all my HIM training, I wasn't able to really fit in proper training for this(kind of like you Matt, but I think a HM is tougher), so I'm fine with my time. Now I'm off for a 2 hr bike ride. ---Ali
2012-02-25 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4065926

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Omahabritt - 2012-02-25 10:59 AM

Thanks Matt, it's been a good week. Hey GOOD LUCK tomorrow on your half marathon! I'm sure you'll do a great job!! Did my 2nd "race" of the year this morning...up 40 floors of stairs in the tallest building in Omaha. Now I'm coughing like a pack a day smoker. It's a fun race, not being a sprinter, it's the shortest, but hardest race I've ever done (8min 45 sec this year). Local firefighers do it with all their gear on-amazing. Going up, up, up like that is a whole different ballgame, if you've never done anything like that before! With all my HIM training, I wasn't able to really fit in proper training for this(kind of like you Matt, but I think a HM is tougher), so I'm fine with my time. Now I'm off for a 2 hr bike ride. ---Ali

Awesome vertical run. I am sure it hurt but you rocked it. I don't know how you would really train for stairs except for by doing stairs. I would love to hear how your legs feel over the next couple days. Mine are always pretty wrecked by stair running.

Matt, good luck with your hm. I was trying to figure out how to get in to the Disney princesses half marathon tomorrow but it turns out it has been sold out for months. I would love to run a half because I really feel like I am rounding in to shape nicely. My wife says a princess run would be right up my alley. Doh!

Book recs: I love "Once a Runner" and "Again to Carthage" by John L Parker, Jr. Extremely well written and it really gives you insight into how hard a truly elite athlete really works. I read them over and over to be inspired to train harder.
2012-02-25 6:37 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

I'm interested in hearing how hard 40 flights was as well.

Sounds like a great time.

There's a race up the CN Tower in Toronto every year I've always been interested in... 2,579 stairs, longest staircase in the world, ouch.

2012-02-25 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4065926

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks Ali!  That's an interesting race model to say the least. I think going up stairs that fast would make me dizzy. 
2012-02-26 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Matt we are waiting to hear word on your race today....hope all went well!

It's 50 degrees here in Wisconsin today, lower part of the state got a lot of snow earlier this week, us here in La Crosse have nothing. Meanwhile the Birkie was this weekend, curious to hear how it went for those racing. Out for my long run on this rest week, 60 minutes in 25-30 mph runs should be fun!

2012-02-26 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4066384

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
marvintpa - 2012-02-25 6:37 PM

I'm interested in hearing how hard 40 flights was as well.

Sounds like a great time.

There's a race up the CN Tower in Toronto every year I've always been interested in... 2,579 stairs, longest staircase in the world, ouch.

When I was in the fire academy a couple of years ago we had to do lots of training on stairs, that is something I could never think of to do again, or want to, my hats of to those that even attempt it. 

2012-02-26 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4061057

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Omahabritt - 2012-02-22 1:59 PM

Awesome job Ali on the swim! I think everyone has now done the postal swim this year? Always a treat to try again next year and see the progress you have made. 

2012-02-26 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4067237

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I had a great race, 1:42:26 unofficial time, right on my stretch goal and felt pretty good throughout.  Negative split and strong at the end.  Very happy with my PR, took 11 minutes off my best open HM, I've done 3 now. 

Edited by mdfahy 2012-02-26 9:52 PM
2012-02-26 10:18 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Well done.

That's a great time!!

Congratulations.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19