BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-03-20 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3965644

Veteran
Quail Valley
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

Congrats Irishod and Kathy on your finishes.

Sunscreen should be but on at least a half hour before activity if not earlier.

Wow lots of finish lines this year. If this keeps up it will be a record. Great job everyone!!! 

2012-03-21 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4104329

User image

Expert
Lyoshka - 2012-03-20 8:13 AM
bar92 - 2012-03-19 2:38 PM

Lena - absolutely beautiful cake!!!  Also, we watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead at work one day.  Very interesting documentary.  Once of my coworkers did a 14 day juice fast and blogged about it.  I have borrowed my mom's juicer to see if I would like it, but not sure I will do a fast as I'm not sure I could drink enough to support the training, so I will be interested to see how you do with your training while doing the juice fast.  I will say that the few juices I have tried have been very yummy.  Keep us posted.

Briana, I didn't work out the first week to see how i'm doing on the fast, and started this Sunday. So far, 2 bike rides (1:45 and 50 m) and a 4 mile run and I felt fantastic! I'm making a carrot, apple and sweet potato juice for before and after the workout and it works like a charm. After the workout, I try to make a green juice for protein (spinach, kale, broccoli, sweet potato for carbs). I found some really nice recipes geared towards athletes, loving them. If you want them, let me know.. And I'm doing the fast now that the HIM plan is still in the beginning stages and running and biking mileage is not as serious. I feel amazing! Alert, alive, vibrant. Seriously amazing.

I would love to have some of your juicing recipes geared towards athletes.  Do you have a website or a book that you recommend?

2012-03-21 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Briana,
here are the sites I use mainly right now:
http://www.freedomyou.com/fasting_book/juice%20recipes.htm

http://www.health-actually.com/recipes/juice-fast-recipes-great-whe...

http://www.fitnessthroughfasting.com/recipes-for-juicer.html

I also experiment a lot of the ones I like, I write down for future. My hubby decided to do a 7 day juice thing, only he also eats some nuts and raw veggies for snacks. He's on day 4 and doing great! He goes to karate and baseball practice and my athletic juices (from the first site) carry him through his workouts, as well

this morning, we made this:
Cantaloupe- 1/4 melon (with rind)
Honey Dew- 1/2 melon (with rind)
Apples- 2
Lemon- 1 with rind
Sweet Potato-1-2 large

It was very yummy!

2012-03-21 9:18 AM

Regular

Congrats to all the finishers and finishes.  

I realized I did not update you on my bike tire saga.  As it turned out there was a wire that punctured the inner tube hence the flat... 19$ and 5 minutes after getting to the store, it was fixed.  Then it was just a matter of fitting my kids around my bike when I picked them up from the bus stopLaughing.   I signed up for a tire changing class at my local bike store Saturday so hopefully I will be able to change tires after that.

I have been traveling again, some for pleasure- some for work and paying the price: bad cold.  Hope it goes away before I leave again on my next business trip to Europe Sunday.  Needless to say my workouts have suffered and will continue to be minimal until March 25 when I get back.  July 8 HIM is approaching faster and faster!

This juicing strategy sounds appealing; are you really not hungry?  What kind of juicer do you use?  I only have 5 pounds to lose before I am at my ideal weight, presumably I could do that in a week?  Not lugging those extra pounds around really makes a difference running I find, but with all this traveling (some to the Orlando amusement parks) it is not easy to lose...

Lena, if I made cakes looking and tasting like that I am not sure I could do a fasting/juicing period!  Hats off to you

2012-03-21 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Pam, thanks for the cake compliments.

You could most definitely lose your last 5 lbs in a week.. well, i think so, anyway. I have 40 to lose to get to the bottom of my ideal range, so mine is coming off faster right now, but still, in 11 days I'm down 14 lbs! And, I feel great! Heck, you could probably just drink a green juice instead of dinner and lose that 5 lbs pretty quick.

Hunger is pretty bad the first few days. How long all depends on your toxicity. When I first did a 10 day green smoothie thing back in Aug, I had all the classic detox symptoms: headaches, lots of bathroom time, flu-like symptoms.. this time, NONE. And hunger only lasted 2 days. But, I've been drinking green smoothies since July almost every day. After the initial discomfort, it gets a TON easier. My hunger came back on day 7 (read in other people's reports about a similar thing), then again, kids were eating nauseatingly good Pizza Hut. Of course, smells and food still look so good, but it's not that bad. Being an endurance athlete really helps, seriously. It's such a mental thing, and we have conquered worse! The first week the evenings were really hard for me as well, because it's my eating time (hence extra weight i can't lose) and all the food on tv.. but now it doesn't even bother me that much to sit there with a juice and watch smth. All in all, you have to just prepare yourself to be ok with hunger, just breathe and not get worked up about it, and it goes away easier. I don't dwell on food images and that takes the bite out of the temptation in a very powerful way. It's very much a mental game, like I said.

I hope that helps..

Edited by Lyoshka 2012-03-21 9:35 AM
2012-03-21 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
...oh and this is the juicer I have:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18333082

This one is pretty high end, but you can get a cheaper one and still do it. I think the main difference is how much juice you get out, and perhaps the quality of juice?

2012-03-21 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4106352

Regular

Lyoshka - 2012-03-21 10:29 AM Pam, you could most definitely lose your last 5 lbs in a week.. well, i think so, anyway. I have 40 to lose to get to the bottom of my ideal range, so mine is coming off faster right now, but still, in 11 days I'm down 14 lbs! And, I feel great! Heck, you could probably just drink a green juice instead of dinner and lose that 5 lbs pretty quick. Hunger is pretty bad the first few days. How long all depends on your toxicity. When I first did a 10 day green smoothie thing back in Aug, I had all the classic detox symptoms: headaches, lots of bathroom time, flu-like symptoms.. this time, NONE. And hunger only lasted 2 days. But, I've been drinking green smoothies since July almost every day. After the initial discomfort, it gets a TON easier. My hunger came back on day 7 (read in other people's reports about a similar thing), then again, kids were eating nauseatingly good Pizza Hut. Of course, smells and food still look so good, but it's not that bad. Being an endurance athlete really helps, seriously. It's such a mental thing, and we have conquered worse! The first week the evenings were really hard for me as well, because it's my eating time (hence extra weight i can't lose) and all the food on tv.. but now it doesn't even bother me that much to sit there with a juice and watch smth. All in all, you have to just prepare yourself to be ok with hunger, just breathe and not get worked up about it, and it goes away easier. I don't dwell on food images and that takes the bite out of the temptation in a very powerful way. It's very much a mental game, like I said. I hope that helps..

Thanks Lena, you are right I am pretty good at not dwelling over food images..  Plus my kids are at their dad's 3 days a week so those days are very easy to stick to something.  When my son starts eating chocolate is when I cave.

How many of these juices do you drink a day...  Maybe I should just read the web sites you sent

2012-03-21 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I drink about 60-70 oz of juice a day and close to 100 oz of water.
2012-03-21 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4106383

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

@Lena - Thats really amazing, but not surprising considering the source. :-)
Have you been using the same Juicier since July?  What do you think of the commercial juice stand green drinks, like Jamba juice et al?  Where do you get your protein from?

2012-03-21 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Mark, actually, in July I bought the Vitamix and started making green smoothies. ADORE my Vitamix and use it for so many things! Juicer is the 2 week-old addition to my kitchen gadgetry I think that both smoothies and juices are great, and I plan to continue to use both after the fast. For the purposed of this fast, I'm sticking to just juices, since the fiber is eliminated, and therefore your body doesn't have to work hard digesting stuff. Normally, I love fiber in my smoothies!
There are also some fruits and veggies that only go one way, you know? For example, I'd never juice a banana or an avocado, but they are staples in my smoothies (i actually blend avocado pits even! great source of soluble fiber); by the same token, I'd never put beets, sweet potatoes, cabbage or even carrots in smoothies, but they juice beautifully. I plan to juice a bunch of fruit, freeze in ice cubes and then make kids' drinks with fruit ice cubes.. fun!

Protein... a lot of vegetables are actually very rich in protein. Dark green ones, especially-spinach, broccoli, kale, etc.. The argument I heard once was about cows and other plant-eating animals.. how do they support such large muscle mass? greens! Makes sense to me, so I'm going with that. So, for before workouts, while on the fast, I make a apple-carrot-sweet potato juice for energy, and afterwards, I drink some of that and then try to make a green juice (kale, spinach, broccoli, cucumbers, etc)... so far I feel great. Everything I read points to very little muscle mass while fasting, and body able to build back up very quickly because it's so nourished (and weighs less ).
2012-03-21 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4106625

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Fit4Infinity - 2012-03-21 11:21 AM

@Lena - Thats really amazing, but not surprising considering the source. :-)
Have you been using the same Juicier since July?  What do you think of the commercial juice stand green drinks, like Jamba juice et al?  Where do you get your protein from?

forgot to answer your question about Jamba Juice et al.. Honestly, I don't have a strong opinion. My gut reaction is I'd prefer home-made (especially while on a fast), because I know exactly what went in there, and I don't know what Jamba Juice type places will add, but maybe they don't, I really have no clue. I do know a lot of places use syrups, which would sort of defeat the purpose of drinking fresh juice.. I also think that most commercial places will tend to be way more sugary than I'd like... that being said, if I'm out and about and don't have any juice with me and am hungry, I'd go to one of those and go with the least offensive option (most green).

2012-03-22 8:56 AM

User image

Expert

Lena, thanks for the websites and the info.  I will definitely be checking them out.  As Lena said, many vegetables have protein in them, especially the dark greens.  A guy in my office did a 14 day juice fast after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.  He and I think 3-4 other guys did it and they blogged about it.  If anyone is interested in reading their blog it can be found at www.fastestmenalive.com.  If you have any concerns about doing this, make sure to check with your doctor.  

I borrowed my mom's juicer for a couple of weeks to try some and see if I liked them and I can say that most of them taste really good and it is a good way to get more fruits/veggies in your diet.  I think everyone could benefit just from drinking one juice a day even if you don't do a juice fast.  

2012-03-23 8:49 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Go Kathy!! Go Irishod!! Go Marianne!!!  and any other finishers that I have missed...

Hope to join you guys soon.

For the record... I think I will leave all the JUICING to you Hardcore types!!! I wanna CHEW my meals!!!!  ha..

Think I am at about 30Lbs down since Jan 9th with diet modification and all this new exercise/training... expect to break the 200 barrier in the next week or so.. We will see, as the training has been a bit off...

Still have plenty of time to improve, get better training in, etc, as my first scheduled race is still not till May 19th. (Feel pretty good that I could, maybe, get my first Sprint in at around 1:30 ish)

Not going to be disapointed or set the bar too high for the first race, just something to shoot for.

anyhoo.. haven't been around in a bit and wanted to say Howdy to all...Raining here, so indoor training for me today.

Monte

2012-03-23 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Phil, I hope things get better...

Congrats on all the finishes...tomorrow it is #3 of the 12 centuries in the 12 months of 2012. than a very slow Capitol 10K (yeah, Briana will be able to run it twice before i finish!)

After reading a bunch of the juicer philosophies, and seeing the trailer of the movie and some of the blogs, I drank the KoolAid (bad pun and all) and bought a juicer. i plan on the juice fast after the LoneStar 70.3 next weekend. we'll see how it goes. but the one i DID make was very intense in flavor.

As long as I am here, I want to mention that if any of you know any military veteran-athletes that would be interested in participating in the Austin Triathlon Camp with Team Red, White and Blue, send them to www.AustinTriCamp.com to sign up. We do have some slots still open. The costs are covered by TeamRWB - including equipment!

Good training, all!

2012-03-23 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Hey all.  Monte great job on the trainng and the weight loss.  I think it was you who said you are sticking to chewing your food and at least for now, I'm with you.  That's why I do all this exercise, so I can keep eating!!

Just had my colonoscopy. I have had enough of liquids for a while.  Thankfully, all went well.  I have a history of polyps so I frequent the GI MD annually.  Lucky me.  I have had a lot of forced rest and I am working 7a-7p tomorrow.  Hoping to do a run Sunday.  We shall see.  I'm feeling like a slug of late but we have to do what we have to.  I am also at a conference in Boston next week so who knows what my training will be. There is a fitness center at the hotel.  I hope to run a bit and I may bring my bike and hope for a ride.  I may even bring my trainer, in case I can't get outside.

Good luck to all your racers this weekend!! And you century riders!!  Whoo hoo!!  Have fun and be safe.

2012-03-23 8:36 PM

User image

Expert

OK folks, here's my race schedule for the rest of the year, if you are interested.  It should be fun and should add a lot of finish lines to the total.

April 7      Oak barrel half mary in Lynchburg TN (with my daughter!)

April 14    Moving for Missions 15K in Petal MS (Youth group from another church in my town going to  Belize vo-tech)

May 5       Cinco-de Tri-o  sprint triathlon, Hattiesburg MS

June 2      Heatwave Classic  sprint triathlon, Jackson MS

July 14     Sunfish Sprint Triathlon, Meridian MS

July 21     Training ride in Louisville in prep for Ironman Lou

July 28     Heart of Dixie Triathlon, Olympic distance, (this is the longest running triathlon in the US that is still held at its original location, kinda neat)

August 26  IRONMAN BABY!!!!!!

October ?  Mighty Magnolia Sprint , Hattiesburg

What do you think?

2012-03-23 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am with Ann and Monte, I like to chew my food. For those doing the juicer, I wish you luck!

I am hoping all of you are wearing sunscreen when training outside. I thought I was putting the stuff on at 30 minutes before exercising but perhaps I am not. Will work to make it is on ahead of time.

. I did something to my back on Wednesday didn't notice it till yesterday when I could barely move, today I was not moving at all. I hated giving up a training day but I just couldn't move. I am feeling better and hope to get in a good workout tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone racing or riding this weekend.

2012-03-24 7:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Phil - keep us posted. I hope all is well.

Kathy - take care.

Be sure you are all not doing too much too fast.
2012-03-24 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4111052

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Nice looking schedule Billy.  Good buildup to Ironman Lou.  You Ironmen (and women) are really an inspiration. 
2012-03-25 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4110859

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Great schedule Billy.  Quite ambitous.  Have fun with your daughter!!  Hope my children will race with me some day.  

Planning an easy run today.  It is cold and damp here today so it is off to the treadmill at the gym. First one in over a week and a half.  May do the trainer after if I feel ok.  Hoping for the best.

Have a great day!!

2012-03-25 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Billy, your schedule looks good.  Sorry I won't be able to join you for the training ride in Louisville.

My back felt better on Saturday that I went for a run.  It was an extremely slow run as I was still feeling some pain but I was running!  Today I went riding and I am still not comfortable with the steering in the aero position.  I have been fitted and it feels good, the bike is so sensitive and sometimes I just don't feel like I have good control of it so I tend to ride up more.  It hasn't helped that it has been windy but I need to get this under control soon.

Hope everyone had a good weekend of racing, riding or training.

2012-03-25 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

Hope everyone is well.  Hope your back is doing better Kathy. 

And Phil, I hear you.  Although my issues have been minor compared to yours, it is so wearing on the psyche.  I hope you got the Halter monitor and they caught the abnormalities.  Keep us posted, I'm thinking of you.

I did a 4 mile run with NO pain.  Yeah!!  I wore my old running shoes so I got blisters cuz they're so shot and I washed them once, before I knew you weren't supposed to do that.  (My first HM was very muddy)  I went back to the LRS (Local running shop) and they took back the shoes I bought and I went back to my original brand.  I skipped the trainer as I didn't want to push my luck.  Will try the new shoes tomorrow, hopefully.

Going to Boston for a conference so I may not be able to check in so have a good week every one!!

2012-03-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4110859

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Billy... looks like a wicked schedule... you da Man...

:-)

2012-03-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4112645

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia
avisser - 2012-03-25 9:46 PM

Hope everyone is well.  Hope your back is doing better Kathy. 

And Phil, I hear you.  Although my issues have been minor compared to yours, it is so wearing on the psyche.  I hope you got the Halter monitor and they caught the abnormalities.  Keep us posted, I'm thinking of you.

I did a 4 mile run with NO pain.  Yeah!!  I wore my old running shoes so I got blisters cuz they're so shot and I washed them once, before I knew you weren't supposed to do that.  (My first HM was very muddy)  I went back to the LRS (Local running shop) and they took back the shoes I bought and I went back to my original brand.  I skipped the trainer as I didn't want to push my luck.  Will try the new shoes tomorrow, hopefully.

Going to Boston for a conference so I may not be able to check in so have a good week every one!!

Ann... glad no pain!!!!  whooo Hoooo.... hope getting back into the "old" new shoes does the trick for ya..

M.

2012-03-26 9:21 AM

User image

Expert

Had a busy weekend, but got in a good 42 mile ride at the Rosedale Ride Saturday morning before watching soccer and heading to the rodeo.  

Sunday morning I ran in the Cap 10K here.  There were about 23,000 others running as well.  I finished in 57:28, which I am happy with, but it was hot out there.  The race didn't start until 9am.  Very hilly in the first 3 miles and then pretty flat to the end.

This week will be fairly easy workouts leading up to the Lonestar 70.3 on Sunday.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57