BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-05-07 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4195161

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"-OPEN

Sorry I can't help.  I've never rented a wet suit.  I don't swim with a swim cap either but can see how it would be beneficial to get use to it.  I bought a silicon one just because it seemed nicer.

Not much help here either on the wetsuit. Never worn one. But... I am hoping to buy one so I can actually train in it versus racing in an untested rental. Lots of people rent though and have no problems. See i'm no help.

Also I have only used a silicon cap. I chose it because it was thicker and I was looking for a little more warmth for my bald head.

2012-05-07 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4194894

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Lesandtj - 2012-05-07 11:46 AM

OK, time for an update.....

Much has happened since I joined the tour. First things first. I decided, somewhat reluctantly, to run the half marathon instead of the full. I have the unexplainable urge to run a full marathon. But I am learning to accept the fact that I need to be patient and allow my body to catch up to my goals.  My longest run to date is 10 miles. That was two weeks ago. I feel confident that I can add 3 more miles to that without dying.

So now I can add in more cycling without the fear of sabotaging my running. Also, I have some pains that I hope will subside with less running. I think one may be a ?metatarsal issue. Honestly I think I am trying to avoid the injury issue altogether. I am afraid if I stop that I may not start again................... It sounds stupid when you type it out like that. 

Guess I need to go to the doctor huh? Frown

I feel like this is an AA meeting....

"My name is TJ, and I have an injury."

Ugh, How do you know when you need to just harden up vs seek medical attention?

I feel for you, TJ! There's nothing worse than an injury for an endurance athlete. I think you made a very wise, but difficult, choice on switching to the half. Even though the distance is only twice a half marathon, training for a marathon is much more than twice as difficult!! I compare it to having twins. People always say "it must be twice as hard with twins" but I think, in reality, it's more than twice as hard!! Anyway...I'm rambling now....

As far as your injury, you really won't know for sure what's going on unless you have it evaluated by a professional (probably an x-ray). That being said, I had so many pains/injuries when I first started marathon training. Most of them responded very well to a week (at most) off, decreasing mileage or intensity of training, and RICE. I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing RICE is the best thing you can do for an injury...but, really, it is!! Of all my injuries, the pelvic stress fracture (yes...I really got a pelvic stress fracture from overtraining!!) was the worst, and I ended up taking 4 weeks off and easing back in, and have had no further problems.

I really think that the triathlon training is going to help you get to your half marathon/marathon goal with less chance of injury. If you can keep your cardiac conditioning up even if you have to decrease your running mileage, it will be so much easier to get back to top running shape, even if you do have to take some time off.

It's nice to have an AA...I mean TA group!! I'm embarrassed to talk to my friends about my training because it really does feel like an addiction. I used to call myself a pathological runner...at least I'm a little more well rounded nowTongue out

2012-05-07 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4194592

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
mjh1975 - 2012-05-07 10:13 AM

Good morning everyone!  Well, the first Half Marathon is behind me, but I am through it. It was an awesome day weather wise at mid-60's slight breeze and sun.  Had a PR at 2:03!  Not much else I guess to report outside of some sore knees today. 

I hope that everyone is doing well.

Matt,

Congratulations! That is a great time for a half, especially your first one. You'll be under two hours in no time!!

2012-05-07 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Ok, I have a podiatrist appointment for Thursday.

2012-05-07 1:27 PM

New user

Hi I'd love to join this group
2012-05-07 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4195288

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Lesandtj - 2012-05-07 1:21 PM

Ok, I have a podiatrist appointment for Thursday.

Good one TJ!    Good idea to see the doc.   Let the X-rays begin!!!  

2012-05-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4195204

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Sarah73 - 2012-05-07 12:48 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-05-07 10:13 AM

Good morning everyone!  Well, the first Half Marathon is behind me, but I am through it. It was an awesome day weather wise at mid-60's slight breeze and sun.  Had a PR at 2:03!  Not much else I guess to report outside of some sore knees today. 

Matt,

Congratulations! That is a great time for a half, especially your first one. You'll be under two hours in no time!!

Thank you Sarah.  I was pretty happy with the time, but more so that I stayed to my pace plan.

2012-05-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4195301

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

nephie11 - 2012-05-07 1:27 PM Hi I'd love to join this group

And........ Just like that you are IN! 

Wait a sec....   "The Knights demand a shrubbery!!"    Not just any shrubbery  not too tall,  not too short.  

important questions:

"Are you the kind of person that double dips the chip?"  That is very much frowned upon with this group.   But its not a deal breaker, if you can make the adjustment. 

"Do you have Viking blood?"   just wondering..  again not a deal breaker.

"Do you watch Breaking Bad?"   Mucho references to this bad A$$ show   (if not start watching.... it's like homework or something

"Do you play an instrument or sing  or both?"  

Ok enough of the silly-    Please post your bio! 

2012-05-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4195193

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2012-05-07 12:45 PM
Lesandtj - 2012-05-07 11:46 AM

Much has happened since I joined the tour. First things first. I decided, somewhat reluctantly, to run the half marathon instead of the full. I have the unexplainable urge to run a full marathon. But I am learning to accept the fact that I need to be patient and allow my body to catch up to my goals.  My longest run to date is 10 miles. That was two weeks ago. I feel confident that I can add 3 more miles to that without dying.

So now I can add in more cycling without the fear of sabotaging my running. Also, I have some pains that I hope will subside with less running. I think one may be a ?metatarsal issue. Honestly I think I am trying to avoid the injury issue altogether. I am afraid if I stop that I may not start again................... It sounds stupid when you type it out like that. 

I feel for you, TJ! There's nothing worse than an injury for an endurance athlete. I think you made a very wise, but difficult, choice on switching to the half. Even though the distance is only twice a half marathon, training for a marathon is much more than twice as difficult!! I compare it to having twins. People always say "it must be twice as hard with twins" but I think, in reality, it's more than twice as hard!! Anyway...I'm rambling now....

As far as your injury, you really won't know for sure what's going on unless you have it evaluated by a professional (probably an x-ray). That being said, I had so many pains/injuries when I first started marathon training. Most of them responded very well to a week (at most) off, decreasing mileage or intensity of training, and RICE. I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing RICE is the best thing you can do for an injury...but, really, it is!! Of all my injuries, the pelvic stress fracture (yes...I really got a pelvic stress fracture from overtraining!!) was the worst, and I ended up taking 4 weeks off and easing back in, and have had no further problems.

I really think that the triathlon training is going to help you get to your half marathon/marathon goal with less chance of injury. If you can keep your cardiac conditioning up even if you have to decrease your running mileage, it will be so much easier to get back to top running shape, even if you do have to take some time off.

It's nice to have an AA...I mean TA group!! I'm embarrassed to talk to my friends about my training because it really does feel like an addiction. I used to call myself a pathological runner...at least I'm a little more well rounded nowTongue out

Sarah has this responded to very well.    

I'll just add some comments.

TJ   You know what?   cutting down to 1/2 mary   This is wise.  Very wise.    Me usually I'm not as smart as this. 

I will say that no matter how prepared you are or are not,  it will still feel like you are taking chances.   The disclaimer is "listen to your body"   But truth is, getting better and doing more, is going to create aches and pains.  Some of these pains you have to respect, and others are just your body complaining a lil  bit along the way.   Its very very hard to tell the difference.    For me,   sorry to say,  Its only been from experience of all of the miles/yards  AND getting injured or not injured that has given me some idea of when to listen to my body and when not to. 

What's going on with the metatarsal?  

"I'm afraid if I stop, I may never start back up again"  -  Oh yes this is HUGE  I believe this to be TRUE!    I feel the same way.   BUT  like Sarah said,  this is where Triathlon comes in.     So guess what?   you don't have to stop!!!  

Does the metatarsal  hurt on the bike as well?    

We will send positive vibes your way so that hopefully whatever is going on with the metatarsal it isn't going to be too bad.      Prediction?   custom orthotics   

This is a great addiction  but yes it IS an addiction!   But it isn't odd or strange to us!

Sarah- 

I used to be embarrassed to talk about training with friends etc.    Now I log it, tweet it,  facebook it.   oh yea  blog it.     Here's the thing.   Some of the people that see my daily training,  do of course feel like I'm bragging or over-sharing or whatever.   But some other people have STARTED to run,  bike, swim   (but especially run)   because they see that.   Over time it interests them and they start to do it.     Really what's the diff between saying  "I just had a Venti mocha latte  YUMMO!!!"   or  I just ran 3 miles??   To me the difference is that running is HARD  and most people don't seem to want to do anything that is hard.  So any reminder of that fact to those peeps  well they don't feel good about it.   They would rather see weakness. 

Heck the guy with the ginormous bag of Dorito's  is sort of bragging as he walks around stuffing them in his mouth  right?   I figure the over-sharing of training helps to balance some of that out.     I'm just happy to see people getting active.   If it means I seem to be obnoxious about it to Facebook-land or Tweeterville.    Then so be it.     Then I dont talk about it with family/friends as they have already been bombarded with it.     But THEY will bring it up,  but more like a question  cause they are ready to hear about it.

In the end I will leave my rant with this.    When I see a post that someone has run 5 miles or rode the bike for 75 miles or whatever, it gets me to want to do it that much more.    So I think people hearing/seeing is positive  even if they don't like it.

But ABSOLUTELY   we get it here. 

2012-05-07 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4194947

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-05-07 11:05 AM

Today and last weeks question.

Last week I asked if anyone has rented a wetsuit and comments about doing so.

Does anyone train with a swim cap? pros/cons  latex vs. silicon  I'm not allergic to latex. 

Tom

Sorry Tom!

Latex vs. Silicon swim caps

Latex is thinner-  inexpensive,  breaks easily   swimmers say is faster in the water 

Silicon- more expensive (like 3X more than latex)  lasts a long time.   warmer.

Which is better?   I like Silicone caps-  But this is a preference thing. others prefer Latex-YMMV 

When I swim I ALWAYS wear a cap.   The pool I go to requires it.   I'm so used to it that when I don't swim with a cap it feels "weird"

Wetsuit rental- For sure there are tri-shops in your area that will rent them to you.  No downside to this.  only upside.  Its smart money to rent it to make sure its the one that you like the best.     Many of these shops will then apply your rental cost to purchasing one.    Have you found a tri shop close to home?

2012-05-07 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4195400

User image

Veteran
Missoula

A deep aching pain under the ball of my left foot. Not a sharp stabbing pain but it does hurt to walk. It started sometime after my 10 mile run. I don't remember a moment when it started hurting. There was a symphony of aches during and after. They faded, but this one remained. I can run on it. I did 5mi on Saturday, but last night and today i'm paying the price. I consulted Dr. Google this morning and realized I may have something that won't go away by just adding miles.

Frankly at 6'5" 270 I feel lucky to not have had any major problems along the way. I am doing things that "normal" people my size don't do. There are consequences for the lifestyle i used to lead. Time to pay the price and keep moving forward, but maybe on a bike for awhile......or in a pool.

2012-05-07 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4194346

User image

Veteran
Sarah73 - 2012-05-07 8:36 AM

UGHH!! I just got back from a house hunting trip in Mississippi. I haven't done one bit of exercise since Wednesday, and I have eaten my weight in fried seafood!! I just had a chance to look through all the recent posts. I appreciate everyone trying to help out on the swim panic issues. I think if we all keep brainstorming, and trying different techniques we'll get there!! I too have quite a background in OWS (not racing). I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I am a certified OW rescue diver...it makes my panic issues that much worse!! I'm thinking that my main issues are the wetsuit constriction, and the adrenaline surge at the beginning of the race, which increase my heart rate and respirations before I even get into the water, then the cold water shock which elevates them further. Combine all that and it leaves little room for controlled breathing. My next plan is to do a reverse sprint in a couple weeks, which ends with a pool swim. Obviously I will be more tired for the swim, but hopefully my adrenaline will be normalized by then, which will at least allow me to control my breathing. I'll let you know how it goes!!

I'm not starting out too well on our competition!! At least I took my RHR every morning!! That was the extent of my physical exertion!!

I think you're on to something about the adrenaline rush and increased HR and respiration.  I have't found a way to "ease in" to the swim.  And since until 2 years ago, my idea of swimming was "not drowning" when I jumped in the pool b/c I was hot from laying out in the sun, I am not at all comfortable in the water.  It all plays together somehow, I think.  I don't know what to do about it...but...WE WILL NOT BE DEFEATED BY THE SWIM!

2012-05-07 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4195546

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Lesandtj - 2012-05-07 3:15 PM

A deep aching pain under the ball of my left foot. Not a sharp stabbing pain but it does hurt to walk. It started sometime after my 10 mile run. I don't remember a moment when it started hurting. There was a symphony of aches during and after. They faded, but this one remained. I can run on it. I did 5mi on Saturday, but last night and today i'm paying the price. I consulted Dr. Google this morning and realized I may have something that won't go away by just adding miles.

Frankly at 6'5" 270 I feel lucky to not have had any major problems along the way. I am doing things that "normal" people my size don't do. There are consequences for the lifestyle i used to lead. Time to pay the price and keep moving forward, but maybe on a bike for awhile......or in a pool.

You have a great attitude.   I'm sure you are more concerned than you let on,  the Podiatrist will get this one figured out for you.  I'm confident about that!    It sounds very much like part of my own metatarsal issue helped by orthotic. 

2012-05-07 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran

Obnoxious Mommy Alert!  Can't resist sharing a pic of my beauty at her First Communion! 

Jacki

(100_6530.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
100_6530.jpg (57KB - 8 downloads)
2012-05-07 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4195989

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2012-05-07 6:59 PM

Obnoxious Mommy Alert!  Can't resist sharing a pic of my beauty at her First Communion! 

Jacki

Beautiful!!  

2012-05-07 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2012-05-07 7:59 PM

Jacki

Oh Jacki, what a doll! Don't they grow up fast?

2012-05-07 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4192083

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2012-05-05 8:46 AM

fitmomma2010 - 2012-05-04 11:43 PM Well there's one small problem with this challenge and monitoring your resting heart rate- an alarm clock that goes off at 04:30am. As you can see on my log today- my rhr was significantly higher. That's because on the days I work I have to get up at 04:30 and since I don't usually get in bed before MN, I am in a dead sleep when the alarm goes off. It sets my heart racing. Sooo I'm only going to say that I'm glad we get points just for taking it- lol. Shelly

Shelly-  YES!  you get the points just for taking it.     But you know that fancy garmin you have?    wouldn't it be interesting to see what your resting heart rate is  WHILE you are sleeping?   You can do that if you want.    I've tried that before On my Garmin 405   It will even create a graph for you.   See if you can set yours to do that. 

Dave,
I had actually been meaning to try that. I did the other night and it worked. However, I don't like the data it gave me- lol. My avg heart rate for the night was 80 something. That's just ridiculous. There were several times it jumped into the 100's- wondering what I was dreaming about then. It was hard too to figure out what would actually be the resting rate as I wake up several times a night. There was a pretty long stretch around 3am that it hovered around the upper 70's so that's what I went with. I'm going to try it again and see what it shows.
Interesting stuff.
Shelly
2012-05-07 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4194592

User image

Expert
Hammond
mjh1975 - 2012-05-07 9:13 AM

Awesome job Matt! I wish I could run a hm in 2:03. Hope the knee soreness goes away quickly for you.
Thanks for updating.
Shelly
2012-05-07 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4192886

User image

Expert
Hammond
DaDooRunRun - 2012-05-05 9:48 PM

Hi all.  I have a race report...kind of!  Today was the 500 Festival Half Marathon here in Indy.  A race I've done many times.  Too many times, b/c I'm past the point of wanting to pay $80 to run with 35,000 other people who mostly get in my way and slow me down.

Soooo...last year I started the Annual Jacki Personal Half on the Day of the 500 Festival Half.  Happy to report I had a great run and I'm really happy with my time!  1:56:30.  Not a PR, but very good for me since I haven't really been focused on my running lately.  Felt really good...even the last few miles. 

That's race #2 checked off my calendar for this season.  One Tri down and one half mary down.

It's been a big day for the fam.  Did the run this morning, watched the youngest spawn score 3 goals in her soccer game, then got her and the rest of the gang dolled up for her First Communion, all while celebrating the 14th Anniversary of meeting DH at the Kentucky Derby on May 5, 1998!  Wow...what a day!! 

Jacki

Glad to hear you had a great run and what a special day- First Communion! I just love seeing all the little girls in their white dresses and veils and such. Does your church still require white dresses? Ours does but some of the surrounding churches don't. That makes me sad.
Hope she had an awesome day. So so special.
Shelly
2012-05-07 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4194270

User image

Expert
Hammond
Ybeal - 2012-05-07 6:43 AM

So the week started off ok with training then I had clients in from out of town thurs-Sunday and it went all downhill. The good news is I sold two houses The bad news is I'm still feeling a lot of tightness in my calf and discomfort in my shin/foot. I think I need to at least get an X-ray if not MRI to rule out stress fracture before trying to push through it. I'm very nervous since I have the 3 mile warrior dash on may 19th and a sprint tri the next day (don't know what I was thinking when I booked those) the tri is suppose to be very hilly so I need to get out on my bike and practice at least 3 times this week and next if I'm going to have any chance completing it. Happy Monday all!

Get out there on that bike Yvonne! Also, seriously hope it's not a stress fracture but an xray may be a good idea if for nothing else than to ease your mind. Hopefully, it won't be anything truly wrong but at least you'll know and can treat whatever the problem is.
Keep us posted.
Shelly
2012-05-07 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4194346

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sarah73 - 2012-05-07 7:36 AM

UGHH!! I just got back from a house hunting trip in Mississippi. I haven't done one bit of exercise since Wednesday, and I have eaten my weight in fried seafood!! I just had a chance to look through all the recent posts. I appreciate everyone trying to help out on the swim panic issues. I think if we all keep brainstorming, and trying different techniques we'll get there!! I too have quite a background in OWS (not racing). I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I am a certified OW rescue diver...it makes my panic issues that much worse!! I'm thinking that my main issues are the wetsuit constriction, and the adrenaline surge at the beginning of the race, which increase my heart rate and respirations before I even get into the water, then the cold water shock which elevates them further. Combine all that and it leaves little room for controlled breathing. My next plan is to do a reverse sprint in a couple weeks, which ends with a pool swim. Obviously I will be more tired for the swim, but hopefully my adrenaline will be normalized by then, which will at least allow me to control my breathing. I'll let you know how it goes!!

I'm not starting out too well on our competition!! At least I took my RHR every morning!! That was the extent of my physical exertion!!

I think you hit the nail on the head with the panic issues. Those same things happen to me at the race start but it's just not related to the wetsuit- more related to my Hawaii experience. But I think the physical response - adrenaline surge, resp. rate increase and heart rate increase response are all the same. I am convinced though that mentally I can control it, I just have to practice doing that more. My last tri, I was able to converse at length with the kayakers, they thought I was the funniest thing and couldn't believe how well I could actually swim. But then like Jacki my evil twin would rear up and go oh no- what are you doing you can't swim your heart rate is too high, and I'd have to turn over on my back- soon as I did I would be fine and could converse again. It's crazy I know. I just kept talking myself into turning back over and swimming some more and eventually I finished the course. I was even faster than my first tri- lol. So I'm convinced more practice will make it better. We'll see- lol.

How did the house hunt go? Any luck finding something?
Shelly

2012-05-07 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4194894

User image

Expert
Hammond
Lesandtj - 2012-05-07 10:46 AM

Much has happened since I joined the tour. First things first. I decided, somewhat reluctantly, to run the half marathon instead of the full. I have the unexplainable urge to run a full marathon. But I am learning to accept the fact that I need to be patient and allow my body to catch up to my goals.  My longest run to date is 10 miles. That was two weeks ago. I feel confident that I can add 3 more miles to that without dying. <--- That is quite a statement if you knew me a couple of years ago.

Tj,
It doesn't sound stupid to me at all. I feel the same way about the if I stop, I may not start again. I didn't exercise or worry about healthy lifestyle at all until a couple of years ago. I lost fifty pounds then and now I'm almost paranoid about regaining it. I am at the gym or s/b/r ing all the time. There are many times that my friends/family get frustrated when I want to schedule lunches, outings etc. around my workout schedule. But I really am afraid that if I quit, the old me will rear her nasty habit head. And I truly don't feel I overdo it. I make my family a huge priority but I will look at my week and plan my workouts around them, then if they want me to do something last minute, I may not always be available. They are just used to me always putting everyone else first and I finally realized that sometimes I had to be a priority also. But the bigger issue is exactly what you said. I just worry that it would be too easy to go back to being a couch potato.

So I think these AA meetings for tri training are awesome.

As far as the injury goes, I am the worlds worst to give advice. I'm the one who played for 8 hours with a broken arm before I finally admitted to my mom that something was wrong. I tend to ignore things until they are unbearable and by then they are far worse than they should be. So I'm not going to offer any advice there- lol.

Shelly
2012-05-07 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4194947

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-05-07 11:05 AM

Today and last weeks question.

Last week I asked if anyone has rented a wetsuit and comments about doing so.

Does anyone train with a swim cap? pros/cons  latex vs. silicon  I'm not allergic to latex. 

Tom

Tom,
Sorry- I've never rented or worn a wetsuit so I'm no help there.
I do always swim with a cap. Can't do it without it as my hair is too long and gets in the way. I actually prefer a lycra cap. Keeps the hair out of my face, water from my hair off my face, but far easier to get on and off and doesn't pull my hair out at all.

Dh has short hair and still much prefers swimming with a cap. He also much prefers my lycra cap.

hth,
Shelly
2012-05-07 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

Jacki

Absolutely beautiful. What a special day and precious little girl. I just love seeing all the Communion dresses at church. I can still see both my babies all decked out in their white dress and veils. Just an awesome day.

Thanks for sharing,
Shelly

2012-05-07 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4196083

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-05-07 7:56 PM

Jacki

Beautiful!!  

x2!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51